PDA

View Full Version : 1-1, where does this leave Fenlon ?

Onion
17-08-2013, 06:33 PM
Have we turned the corner and is Fenlon now the man to take us forward ? Will Petrie just stick with him ?

CallumLaidlaw
17-08-2013, 06:34 PM
He certainly won't be going anywhere this week

bingo70
17-08-2013, 06:38 PM
Hopefully the players take confidence from that, we sign a creative/pacey player this week and the corners turned, surely that's what everyone wants?

blackpoolhibs
17-08-2013, 06:39 PM
I said it a week or two ago, we have a history of duff managers getting a result that just does enough to keep them in a job that little bit longer, when in reality they should be long gone. :rolleyes:

sleeping giant
17-08-2013, 06:39 PM
Hopefully the players take confidence from that, we sign a creative/pacey player this week and the corners turned, surely that's what everyone wants?

Agreed. Hopefully thats whats going to happen. I would assume every Hibs fans would be hoping for the same.:hnet:

Emerald
17-08-2013, 06:40 PM
Have we turned the corner and is Fenlon now the man to take us forward ? Will Petrie just stick with him ?

From the horses mouth today Fenlon is going nowhere :agree:

BoltonHibee
17-08-2013, 06:47 PM
He's managed a draw at home, and we have scored.

Will probably be penning a new deal with this joke of a club right now for a further 5 years tenure

Hibby 2005
17-08-2013, 06:49 PM

No, no and no.

weonlywon6-2
17-08-2013, 06:49 PM
From the horses mouth today Fenlon is going nowhere :agree:

Never seen one of these horses at easter road,but they seem to know a lot

Pete
17-08-2013, 06:50 PM

I hope so, I dont think so and probably.

What do you think?

Kojock
17-08-2013, 06:51 PM
Spoke to an old boy today who said we should get Kenny Sheils as manager with Alex Miller as DOF.

He was sober and serious.

lucky
17-08-2013, 07:01 PM
I still want PF out. 1 point in 3 games is not good enough. It took 44 mins to have our first shot at goal. His negative tactics is restricting the team

Greenblood70
17-08-2013, 07:04 PM
Ill continue to support the team but Fenlon is blundering from one mistake to the next. We created very little today for the strikers and until the sendings off didn't look like getting anything from the game. Was as quiet as I've heard ER today first half.

Emerald
17-08-2013, 07:09 PM
Never seen one of these horses at easter road,but they seem to know a lot

Well the horse that I spoke to was the man in charge and that is what he said. However, I don't think he could have said that Fenlon was an erse and he was on his way out but he did convince me he was here to stay and not anywhere near the exit door. :agree:

erin go bragh
17-08-2013, 07:14 PM
Our first shot at goal was in the 44th min .were chasing the game and he takes off a striker for a midfielder , then when we do score ,he takes of the scorer and puts on another midfielder .. Wtf

Ggtth

LancashireHibby
17-08-2013, 07:17 PM
Keeps him in a job for a couple of weeks, more's the shame.

adhibs
17-08-2013, 07:19 PM
Where does that leave fenlon? At easter road until at least after the ross county game unfortunately.

I never even celebrated when we scored, think I wouldve been happier with utd getting a second

silverhibee
17-08-2013, 07:21 PM

No

No

Yes :grr:

silverhibee
17-08-2013, 07:23 PM
I still want PF out. 1 point in 3 games is not good enough. It took 44 mins to have our first shot at goal. His negative tactics is restricting the team

:agree:

chrisski33
17-08-2013, 07:24 PM
Fenlon wont leave til hes sacked and he gets his pay off! We drew today but doesnt mean weve turnes the corner.

Dunderhall
17-08-2013, 07:24 PM
Well the horse that I spoke to was the man in charge and that is what he said. However, I don't think he could have said that Fenlon was an erse and he was on his way out but he did convince me he was here to stay and not anywhere near the exit door. :agree:
Nagging doubt if it was Mr Ed.
explains the hoofball though and I think we might be saddled with Fenlon for a while.

silverhibee
17-08-2013, 07:25 PM
Our first shot at goal was in the 44th min .were chasing the game and he takes off a striker for a midfielder , then when we do score ,he takes of the scorer and puts on another midfielder .. Wtf

Ggtth

According to Fenlon that is him being adventurous.

sleeping giant
17-08-2013, 07:30 PM
Fenlon wont leave til hes sacked and he gets his pay off! We drew today but doesnt mean weve turnes the corner.

This kind of comment bugs me. Could you afford to just leave your job . This pay off he is waiting on , how big do you think it would be Ffs ? 3 months wages IR something I would assume. Not exactly enough to retire on is it.

LancsHibs
17-08-2013, 07:38 PM
Can't believe a point aginst Dundee United is viewed as some great achievement, a manager saving result!! Is this how far our expectations have dropped?? Jeez, we are Hibs, a 1-1 at home to United is a poor result and 2 points dropped. It should be mounting the pressure on Fenlon not buying him more time:brickwall

AFKA5814_Hibs
17-08-2013, 07:40 PM
He's s lucky ******. Prior to our goal today he should have been sackef.

Hibercelona
17-08-2013, 07:46 PM
This kind of comment bugs me. Could you afford to just leave your job . This pay off he is waiting on , how big do you think it would be Ffs ? 3 months wages IR something I would assume. Not exactly enough to retire on is it.

Pat Fenlon retired when he signed that contract with us.

sleeping giant
17-08-2013, 07:47 PM
Pat Fenlon retired when he signed that contract with us.

That's funny..........

matty_f
My opinion hasn't changed. One shot on target in the first half and outplayed for most of the game. In another match where we should have been expecting a big reaction from the team that failed to materialise.

Not good enough, IMHO.

joe breezy
Drawing is the new winning

truehibernian
17-08-2013, 07:51 PM

If you knew how much Colin Calderwood was paid, trust me, Pat won't be light in the pocket - where are you getting 3 months wages from ? He'll either come to a severance agreement paid over time or an agreed pay until he gets employment elsewhere as I understand it.

Stuart McCall revealed to my coaching mate what CC got and it made me sick.

kentao
17-08-2013, 07:53 PM
Fenlon out still. We were very lucky in the first half that DU managed to fluff 3 very decent half chances on another day that could of been 3 down after 30 minutes. How Vine managed to appear after half time i`ll never know.

Pats had enough time and support from both the board and the supporters but his time is up. Our performance today wasn't great, passing was poor when it was on the deck, big punts up to Collins that he never won even our deliveries into the box were poor don't think we managed to get a chance on target after a cross.

Pat got abit of luck today with Robertsons goal but unless he starts getting results and decent football back at Easter Road he will be gone before Xmas.

Westie1875
17-08-2013, 07:53 PM
He should still be out IMO, not getting nearly enough from the players he has.

Aldo
17-08-2013, 07:55 PM
Duff jimmy scenario on the horizon me thinks!

sleeping giant
@ Truehibernian
I'm just totally guessing tbh. He has a year left so assumed 3 months .
He won't be on anything like Calderwood. Again that's a guess.
I take it you think he's on a bundle ?

Jonnyboy
Spoke to an old boy today who said we should get Kenny Sheils as manager with Alex Miller as DOF.

He was sober and serious.

Can I just point out that it wasn't me :greengrin

Hibercelona
17-08-2013, 07:56 PM
That's funny..........

It wasn't a joke. How many people get paid for being sacked in their professions?

When you sign a contract at a football club, you're basically getting a 2 or 3 year supply worth of cash, even if you can't be arsed working for it.

Billy Whizz
17-08-2013, 07:56 PM

Johnnyboy, you're not as old as they make you put to be

Aldo
17-08-2013, 07:57 PM

Wasn't you what... The auld boy that was spoken to?? :-D

Jonnyboy
17-08-2013, 07:59 PM
Johnnyboy, you're not as old as they make you put to be

Cheers Billy :greengrin

Wasn't you what... The auld boy that was spoken to?? :-D

Aye. You'd never get me suggesting Lexo's return :wink:

Oh and by the way, I think PF will remain until the transfer window closes

The Sea-gull
17-08-2013, 08:00 PM
It leaves him exactly where he is for at least another week. In fact, barring a disastrous defeat next week I now think we are stuck with him for a good few weeks more. He may get to carry on almost regardless of results now for a good while as he may get to sign another couple of players then be given time to see how they settle. Time we don't really have and shouldn't really need if we had a decent manager doing his business in the close season ala Terry Butcher, Derek McInnes even Tommy Wright.

My worry is we trust him with yet more budget and end up with a new man coming in and having to try and reshape the squad mid-season. In fairness to Fenlon though he does look like he is ok at signing players, far better than his predecessor anyway, so any new man coming in might not have to do much. Give or take two or three positions I think we have a decent enough squad and a tactically astute manger could do something with them. Sadly Fenlon does not seem tobe tactically astute.

I would be "delighted to be proved wrong" and see Fenlon turn us around and continue his "progress" but I fear a similar scenario to two years ago with CC. A post I made earlier this week on CC and the first third of the 2011/12 season:-

July 2011

We lost at home to Celtic first game 0-2. No big deal really but from what I can remember it was a poor performance.

Got a win up at ICT - first time we had ever won up there. A bit of positivity.

August 2011

Next up, humped by Killie 4-1 at Rugby park. Terrible performance. Natives get restless.

Throw away a 1-0 lead to get beat by St Mirren 2-1 at ER. Pressure mounts.

Lose a derby 2-0 at Tynie with an abject performance (nowt new there). Pressure increases and the sack was looming ahead of the international break but Hibs hold firm.

Sep 2011

Returns from international break and we are involved in one of the worst SPL games of all time - 0-0 at home to Aberdeen. We were all resigned by this point that if he wasn't sacked before transfer window closed and international break then we were stuck with him for a bit so not too much calling for his head.

Throw away a 2-0 lead to draw 2-2 away to Dunfermline. Pressure back on. Rumours that League cup defeat by Motherwell would end him.

Beats Motherwell in cup on pens.

Come from 3-1 down to draw Dundee United with Dundee United. Many starting to get impressed by a fight about the team.

Beat St Johnstone 3-2 at ER. Calls for his head gone.

October 2011

Lose 1-0 at Ibrox. Not a criminal offence.

Lose 1-0 at home to Motherwell. Wee bit of promise starting to disappear.

Win 3-2 at St Mirren after taking the lead then going 2-1 down. Wee bit of fight evident again.

Humped 4-1 by Celtic in leage cup. Really out played.

Trip to Parkhead on the Saturday and rumours a humping would see him go. Draw 0-0, he lives to fight another week.

November 2011

First Saturday of the month loses at home to Pars, the only team below us in the league. Sacked on the Sunday night.

What I am trying to say in a long drawn out way is that if we keep Pat, there could be a few glimmers of false hope over the next few weeks but I fear another CC situation where we waste months of the season flogging a dead horse when if we act now we can still go on and have a good season.

We stuck by CC for 14 games. That is 36% of the season. Sticking by him led to us only avoiding relegation in the second last game of the season. Do that again this year and it would be a play off. Would you fancy us against a hungry first division team?

I'm not saying a play off spot would be guaranteed if Pat stayed but it would be a huge possibility and there is recent precedent for hanging on to a manager that the vast majority of the support, fans of other teams and the media have long declared a dud.

Bristolhibby
17-08-2013, 08:05 PM
Problem is if we don't offer contracts with a decent payout package nobody would take the job except the likes of Graham Rix and the like.

Is that what people want. Managers contracts always come with healthy severance packages.

J

Aldo
17-08-2013, 08:30 PM
Cheers Billy :greengrin

Aye. You'd never get me suggesting Lexo's return :wink:

Oh and by the way, I think PF will remain until the transfer window closes

Think you might be right bout PF. However will he be allowed to sign more players?

silverhibee
17-08-2013, 08:35 PM
My opinion hasn't changed. One shot on target in the first half and outplayed for most of the game. In another match where we should have been expecting a big reaction from the team that failed to materialise.

Not good enough, IMHO.

As i said, that was the manager being adventurous today.

:taxi for Pat.

Steve20
17-08-2013, 08:36 PM
He has to go. It's a disgrace he's still manager. Even if we has sneaked a win today, he should go.

Scouse Hibee
17-08-2013, 08:39 PM
It leaves him scratching his head thinking why didn't I think of that!

GreenCastle
17-08-2013, 09:11 PM
It gives him more time...it gives us more frustration.

44 mins till your 1st attempt at goal is us being more attacking at home ??!

He's still not found the correct balance within the team in midfield or up front.

Gustavo Fring
17-08-2013, 09:15 PM
He has to go. It's a disgrace he's still manager. Even if we has sneaked a win today, he should go.

what he said :agree:

Gerard
17-08-2013, 09:20 PM

Well you are one of the few Hibs fans alive today who can say they saw the FF.:wink:
G

NAE NOOKIE
17-08-2013, 09:47 PM
Not much to get exited about from Hibs today up until the Thomson sending off. For some reason it seemed to galvanise the team who started to get forward a lot more, though as usual without making too many chances of note.

But thats the point .... once again, like the Falkirk semi, it took something outwith the managers control to change the game, in as much as against Falkirk he had no choice but to go all out attack and today the sending off of Thomson got the players going ... though why it took that is beyond me when they already had so much to prove.

With the exeption of McKay-Steven Utd didnt look like the could pose much danger, but we still looked second best for most of the game.

Pat Fenlon didnt do anything today, that I could see, to show that he can turn this team around.

Hibby 2005
17-08-2013, 09:58 PM
Not much to get exited about from Hibs today up until the Thomson sending off. For some reason it seemed to galvanise the team who started to get forward a lot more, though as usual without making too many chances of note.

But thats the point .... once again, like the Falkirk semi, it took something outwith the managers control to change the game, in as much as against Falkirk he had no choice but to go all out attack and today the sending off of Thomson got the players going ... though why it took that is beyond me when they already had so much to prove.

With the exeption of McKay-Steven Utd didnt look like the could pose much danger, but we still looked second best for most of the game.

Pat Fenlon didnt do anything today, that I could see, to show that he can turn this team around.

Perfect summation.

Fenlon is not in control of the team and the players know it.

Eyrie
17-08-2013, 09:59 PM
Almost as if the players have given up on Fenlon and want a change.

GreenCastle
17-08-2013, 10:01 PM
Almost as if the players have given up on Fenlon and want a change.

I have also heard this...players don't understand what they are being asked to do half the time - not a good sign.

AFKA5814_Hibs
17-08-2013, 10:01 PM
A draw was a perfect result for Fenlon. No defeat /no win.

Captain Trips
17-08-2013, 10:04 PM
Turned a corner? been here nearly 2 years and we are at the turning the corner stage? maybe by 2018 we might have fully turned it. The gross incompetance continues each day PF is in charge.

Hibs07p
18-08-2013, 06:02 AM
Fenlon out still. We were very lucky in the first half that DU managed to fluff 3 very decent half chances on another day that could of been 3 down after 30 minutes. How Vine managed to appear after half time i`ll never know.

Pats had enough time and support from both the board and the supporters but his time is up. Our performance today wasn't great, passing was poor when it was on the deck, big punts up to Collins that he never won even our deliveries into the box were poor don't think we managed to get a chance on target after a cross.

Pat got abit of luck today with Robertsons goal but unless he starts getting results and decent football back at Easter Road he will be gone before Xmas.

What was the attendance? I won't be back until he's gone, and I hope that's long before Xmas.

GGTTH

bingo70
18-08-2013, 06:16 AM
First half was abysmal but I thought second half was much better and the players came out fighting for him.....literally.

The big problem is lack of creativity, flair and excitement, fenlon can still turn this round imo but he needs to get at least one player in like that sharpish.

Onion
18-08-2013, 07:08 AM
First half was relegation standard, should have been 2 or 3 down. Fenlon has 45 to save his job, just as he did with the Falkirk semi. Lucky break of the ball, great strike and Fenlon is saved. I struggled to celebrate the goal as that 1 point means weeks of the same crap.

I really fear we could get a hammering from any competent SPL team. IMHO the longer Fenlon is kept in his job, the more likely Hibs fans will turn their attention to the incompetence of Petrie and the Hibs Board.

Saorsa
18-08-2013, 10:02 AM
I said it a week or two ago, we have a history of duff managers getting a result that just does enough to keep them in a job that little bit longer, when in reality they should be long gone. :rolleyes:Duff Jimmy being the ultimate example

neil7908
18-08-2013, 10:24 AM
He should be gone already but sadly it looks like the board are going to back him, in the short term at least. There will be a breaking point if results continue on their current path but I have no idea at this stage how low we'll have to end up before he is gone.

I always live in hope that another couple of good signings will make a difference too us but I think the best we'll manage under Fenlon is a mid-table finish. Even that feels like a pipedream at the moment.

There is quite an interesting article I read on the BBC about sacking managers and the affect it has (on average) on a teams performances:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23724517

silverhibee
18-08-2013, 10:48 AM
First half was abysmal but I thought second half was much better and the players came out fighting for him.....literally.

The big problem is lack of creativity, flair and excitement, fenlon can still turn this round imo but he needs to get at least one player in like that sharpish.

Got to disagree with that Bingo, they never came out fighting, it took a fight to get them going which got one of our players sent off, sad to say but if it wasn't for the handbags stuff Hibs probably wouldn't have got the equaliser.

Can't rely on players getting sent off every week to get us up for a game, the players should be up for it from the very start.

Fenlon Out.

Bob Box Fish
18-08-2013, 11:22 AM
What will it take for fenlon to go? No wins in the first ten? Hearts to overtake us?

Iain G
18-08-2013, 11:38 AM

I would hope thats what everyone wants but am not convinced... ;-)

Saorsa
18-08-2013, 11:44 AM
I would hope thats what everyone wants but am not convinced... ;-)You're right there are people who pay hundreds of pounds every year hoping we fail. :rolleyes: Going by your location though I'd guess you're no one of them. I paid 400 quid again this season and I cannae even be ersed going now.

blackpoolhibs
18-08-2013, 11:50 AM
You're right there are people who pay hundreds of pounds every year hoping we fail. Going by your location though I'd guess you're no one of them.

To be fair, i have read a couple of posts in the last week where folk HAVE actually wanted us to lose. Now i can sort of see their thinking, they want us to lose and hopefully it would hurry on the process of getting rid of Fenlon.

Me personally, i'd rather we won yesterday then went on a long run of wins and everything was hunky dory.

I suspect i have more chance of winning Mr Universe 2013, and bedding Jennifer Aniston and Cheryl Cole, but i never want to see us lose even though i can't be bothered going.

francobaresi
19-08-2013, 08:39 AM

We have turned a corner but it's just as bleak! Fenlon won't see the season out if this excuse for a football team continues to produce this non football. Unfortunately it will take until Hearts are above us after New Year (if not sooner) and a few good hidings at home for Petrie to realise the stadium is empty and the heart of our club has stopped beating....

blackpoolhibs
19-08-2013, 08:49 AM
We have turned a corner but it's just as bleak! Fenlon won't see the season out if this excuse for a football team continues to produce this non football. Unfortunately it will take until Hearts are above us after New Year (if not sooner) and a few good hidings at home for Petrie to realise the stadium is empty and the heart of our club has stopped beating....

Hearts going above us is not going to happen, and their minus 15 points deduction is probably the main reason he's still in a job. Petrie knows we wont finish bottom, the gimps will struggle all season, and after the initial pumped up start, they will fall away.

They are a very poor side, with no quality other than youthful exuberance. We will stumble along picking the odd point up here and there, crowds will disappear and by December we will be entrenched in the bottom 6, fighting 2 or 3 clubs to stay out of the bottom 2.

That will bring the fans out again, and Petrie will be rubbing his hands at our crowds. :rolleyes:

HUTCHYHIBBY
19-08-2013, 09:07 AM
I think the only thing keeping Fenlon in a job is the fact that if we emptied another manager then the chairman knows all attention would then switch to him. I'm not holding my breath!

sahib
19-08-2013, 10:00 AM
The only thing that gives me hope for the future with Pat, is that this message board is collectively such a bad judge of all things Hibs, that it is not unreasonable to expect he will come good.:greengrin:

Liberal Hibby
19-08-2013, 10:07 AM
Any sensible board will give him until the first round of fixtures is complete and reassess then. I'd have though 15 points from the next eight games would see him safe to the end of the season (barring a collapse), but anything less than 10 he'd probably get his jotters. 11-14 points hmm...

gegs70
19-08-2013, 10:09 AM
To be fair, i have read a couple of posts in the last week where folk HAVE actually wanted us to lose. Now i can sort of see their thinking, they want us to lose and hopefully it would hurry on the process of getting rid of Fenlon.

Me personally, i'd rather we won yesterday then went on a long run of wins and everything was hunky dory.

I suspect i have more chance of winning Mr Universe 2013, and bedding Jennifer Aniston and Cheryl Cole, but i never want to see us lose even though i can't be bothered going.

I would rather we won yesterday but I think fenlon needs to go, I dont enjoy going much anymore and need to see a spark of life on the pitch. Some football would be nice too but alas I think we may need to put up with this till the AGM....I am concerned that other than Collins and Caldwell our other strikers are handling who is playing in midfield and vine none of which are anywhere near prolific scorers!