PDA

View Full Version : Fraser Mullen

GlasgowHibee
17-08-2013, 02:59 PM
It's clear to see why he was released by the fuds, they're probably laughing at us right now as we've signed a complete dud. No defensive ability, no height, no pace, the only thing he's got going for him is his set piece deliveries - which no one gets on the end of. It was clear to see after just 10 minutes today that he was going to get torn a new ******** and IMO Pat made the right decision in taking him off. He shouldn't of been near the first team after his performance last week anyway, is there something wrong with McGivern? Maybury at RB and McGivern at LB please.

Waxy
17-08-2013, 03:02 PM
It's clear to see why he was released by the fuds, they're probably laughing at us right now as we've signed a complete dud. No defensive ability, no height, no pace, the only thing he's got going for him is his set piece deliveries - which no one gets on the end of. It was clear to see after just 10 minutes today that he was going to get torn a new ******** and IMO Pat made the right decision in taking him off. He shouldn't of been near the first team after his performance last week anyway, is there something wrong with McGivern? Maybury at RB and McGivern at LB please.Unfair.

GlasgowHibee
17-08-2013, 03:04 PM
It's not unfair, I've just spent Ģ22 of my hard earned cash to watch impostors like him and Vine be dominated by a Dundee UTD side low on confidence like ours.

cabbageandribs1875
17-08-2013, 03:07 PM
didn't want him before he signed...and still don't want him now

maybe he will come good for the soon-to-be-announced(surely) new manager

Northernhibee
17-08-2013, 03:08 PM
Unfair.

Entirely.

blackpoolhibs
17-08-2013, 03:12 PM
Anyone who's seen him play could only come to one decision, he's not good enough to play right back for Hibernian Football Club.

Its just a pity our manager has his eyes painted on. :rolleyes:

Speedy
17-08-2013, 03:19 PM
It's clear to see why he was released by the fuds, they're probably laughing at us right now as we've signed a complete dud. No defensive ability, no height, no pace, the only thing he's got going for him is his set piece deliveries - which no one gets on the end of. It was clear to see after just 10 minutes today that he was going to get torn a new ******** and IMO Pat made the right decision in taking him off. He shouldn't of been near the first team after his performance last week anyway, is there something wrong with McGivern? Maybury at RB and McGivern at LB please.

What about Forster at right back? I've not seen him there but seen a few comments saying he can play there.

GlasgowHibee
17-08-2013, 03:25 PM
What about Forster at right back? I've not seen him there but seen a few comments saying he can play there.

I personally don't think he should play there due to the fact that he's looked like one of our most assured defenders, however, Super Pat probably thinks differently.

J-C
17-08-2013, 03:51 PM
I personally don't think he should play there due to the fact that he's looked like one of our most assured defenders, however, Super Pat probably thinks differently.

He was very solid at CH and all of a sudden he's out in the cold and on the bench, he's played RB before so why not utilise the fact that he's big, good in the tackle, decent pace and good in the air.

Speedy
17-08-2013, 03:57 PM
He was very solid at CH and all of a sudden he's out in the cold and on the bench, he's played RB before so why not utilise the fact that he's big, good in the tackle, decent pace and good in the air.

How was Nelson today?

I also think it was quite harsh that Forster has been punted for him.

Billychaotic182
17-08-2013, 03:58 PM
Bit harsh. He is a youth player FFS give a kid a chance.

weonlywon6-2
17-08-2013, 04:00 PM

I wonder what he would be like playing in a team that is confident??

We turn decent players into rotten ones,we are champions at it.

Curious what spoony and rankin would say about hibs and what the issue is ??

merritthibees
17-08-2013, 04:00 PM
I've seen him a few times now and actually feel sorry for him... Guys around me shouting "watch your ankle you heart c***!"... The boy will never have a chance with fans like that! Very unfair!

JollyGreenGiant
17-08-2013, 04:07 PM
It's not unfair, I've just spent Ģ22 of my hard earned cash to watch impostors like him and Vine be dominated by a Dundee UTD side low on confidence like ours.

Get a grip, he was up against one of the best left sided players in the league. Ok, he made a bad tackle, but least he is getting stuck in, more than can be said for some of his team mates!

hibee_girl
17-08-2013, 04:07 PM
He's be better playing in midfield, he's good at going forward but an awful defender

Heisenberg
17-08-2013, 04:09 PM
He's pish at right back.

blackpoolhibs
17-08-2013, 04:10 PM

Don't you try and bring common sense into this.

weonlywon6-2
17-08-2013, 04:10 PM
I've seen him a few times now and actually feel sorry for him... Guys around me shouting "watch your ankle you heart c***!"... The boy will never have a chance with fans like that! Very unfair!

Thats a disgrace if hibs fans are shouting that.
No onder we have problems if thats happening week in week out.
Who on earth would want to play for a team if thats the support you get.

Stringer
17-08-2013, 04:15 PM
Needs time to gel.:wink:

neil7908
17-08-2013, 04:18 PM
Haven't seen anything in his time at Hearts or his games for us to make me think he's currently got the quality to play in the SPL. He's a young guy and may well improve but right now I'm not confident when I see his name on the teamsheet - the fact he's been subbed off early the last couple of games tells its own story.

Think its criminal that the likes of Forster and Caldwell haven't got more game time this season, they have done everything asked of them IMO and unless there's an issue with their attitude or training, dont know why they are being kept out.

DaveF
17-08-2013, 04:19 PM
If Mullen is a right back then my hopes of a professional contract are greater than I thought.

And I'm a 43 year old never been.

loanheadhibby
17-08-2013, 04:19 PM
Bit harsh. He is a youth player FFS give a kid a chance.

I agree, give the laddie a chance to settle in.

He has just moved from our rivals to us and gets enough stick from them. He is still young and plenty time to improve.

allezsauzee
17-08-2013, 04:24 PM
I would try playing him right midfield. We need the width and he put some pretty decent crosses in. His tackling leaves a lot of room for improvement.

merritthibees
17-08-2013, 04:47 PM
Thats a disgrace if hibs fans are shouting that.
No onder we have problems if thats happening week in week out.
Who on earth would want to play for a team if thats the support you get.

Yep! Agreed!... We get new players in and the minute they make a bad pass or whatever... They seem to get pelters and branded useless!

onfire
17-08-2013, 04:49 PM

After we got booked it was game over for him. Lewis did well replacing him but I'd be looking for a new RB if Clancy is long term out. Done for pace several times.

pacorosssco
17-08-2013, 04:50 PM
just been unlucky. two games from a crisis......:rolleyes:

Ken
17-08-2013, 04:54 PM
Some fans need to take a good look at themselves. Mullen has played about 100 mins of football and he's not actually done that much wrong.

Weir7
17-08-2013, 04:56 PM

Fenlon hung the boy out to dry. Having nobody at right mid to double up on GMS was a sin.

If you speak to people in Hibs youth dept they will tell you Mullen isn't a strong defender.

If should be in thr U20s to assess him. Never ready for first team.

Fenlon was offered Mark Wilson but said no.

NadeAteMyLunch!
17-08-2013, 04:57 PM
Still think he could come good, maybe not in this current climate tho. Early bookings aren't helping him, especially the way he likes to dive into tackles. Noticed he had one of his boots off when he walked down the tunnel at half time, maybe a knock as well?

Brightside
17-08-2013, 04:57 PM
He can't tackle. Which is pretty important for a right back. Luckily Lewis Stevenson :top marks was different class!

JollyGreenGiant
17-08-2013, 05:03 PM
He can't tackle. Which is pretty important for a right back. Luckily Lewis Stevenson :top marks was different class!

And what evidence do you have for that comment. Just cause he has been booked twice in two games, doesn't mean he can't tackle - he is a young laddie, he needs time without folk giving him abuse and yet you think Stevenson is different class????? He did ok when moved to right back today, but he should get nowhere near our starting line up!

VivaHiberņa
17-08-2013, 05:19 PM

My thoughts too. Reminds me very much of Maybury up til Christmas last season; very poor defensively. Hopefully he'll also improve though I'm not getting my hopes up.

I get the feeling PF is trying to justify a poor signing by playing him regardless.

I would try playing him right midfield. We need the width and he put some pretty decent crosses in. His tackling leaves a lot of room for improvement.

This might work. He's not a defender (or least not playing like one) IMO.

NatureBoy
17-08-2013, 05:31 PM
How was Nelson today?

I also think it was quite harsh that Forster has been punted for him.

Nelson was poor IMO, his distribution for a professional football is nothing short of pathetic and he has zero pace. Two year deal is a baffling decision. Suppose he's decent in the air and chucks his body in front of things, if I was forced to look for a positive.

wookie70
17-08-2013, 06:26 PM
Mullen looks like he has a lot to learn and perhaps playing in the first team in a system that seems to have no-one playing ahead of him is not the best place to do it. That said his positioning was poor, the tackle that got him booked was outrageous and he had no idea what to do once he had picked up the card. On the plus side he is willing to get forward and his delivery looks good. He should be learning his trade away from the first team imho as he just doesn't look ready.

theonlywayisup
17-08-2013, 06:29 PM
Now let's think about this one.

At Hertz, he would have been on pennies. Yet they decide to let him go, even though they know that the future for them is to play kids on pennies.

Not good enough for the pennyless Hertz, but deemed good enough for the team with the 2nd biggest budget in the SPFL. Our key signing to fill the right back problem slot, never solved since Whittaker left.

:hmmm:

Brightside
17-08-2013, 06:33 PM
And what evidence do you have for that comment. Just cause he has been booked twice in two games, doesn't mean he can't tackle - he is a young laddie, he needs time without folk giving him abuse and yet you think Stevenson is different class????? He did ok when moved to right back today, but he should get nowhere near our starting line up!

Ive never seen him put a tackle in yet. He's a young boy so put him in the u20s until he's ready. Its beyond me why we dont give Forster a go at RB.

Onion
17-08-2013, 06:38 PM

Harsh. He was up against a very good player. His main problem was that rash tackle after 8 mins and getting booked - made his job twice as hard as it could have been. Mullen will develop into a decent RB given the support and guidance of a decent coach.

clerriehibs
17-08-2013, 06:41 PM

At Hertz, he would have been on pennies. Yet they decide to let him go, even though they know that the future for them is to play kids on pennies.

Not good enough for the pennyless Hertz, but deemed good enough for the team with the 2nd biggest budget in the SPFL. Our key signing to fill the right back problem slot, never solved since Whittaker left.

Whittaker, another youngster that got dog's abuse from Hibs 'supporters'

thebakerboy
17-08-2013, 06:50 PM
Sorry this is typical Hibs.net , the favourite "Boo Boys" Hanlon and Stevenson play well and we have to find knew targets and tonight it is Mullen(ex-Hearts) and Nelson (ex-killie). Mullen made a silly tackle and was booked and as he was up against 1 of the most dangerous wingers in the league our (under fire) manager subs him and puts a favourite boo boy in his position who then plays really well so we slag Mullen , and then Nelson comes in for some slagging for being slow but today I saw him run down 2 of the quicker Dundee Utd. players in the second half , but this is Hibs.net and we have to have targets. Lets face it Mullen is very young and hopefully will improve and Nelson is an old fashioned centre half who clears the ball , do not expect silky football from him . Personally they are both Hibs players now and I will back them as long as they remain but reserve the right to shout at them if they make mistakes and they will as will all the players and I will shout at them but back them as long as they are Hibbys. GGTTH

Billychaotic182
17-08-2013, 06:53 PM

2nd biggest budget? Surely Aberdeen are paying there boys more than us

JollyGreenGiant
17-08-2013, 06:53 PM
Ive never seen him put a tackle in yet. He's a young boy so put him in the u20s until he's ready. Its beyond me why we dont give Forster a go at RB.

I agree he is not the finished article but given time I think he will be a decent RB, and when fit Clancy should be first choice. But why Fenlon picks Stevenson over McGivern at LB is beyond me.

IMO Forster should be playing instead of Hanlon.

Greenblood70
17-08-2013, 06:55 PM
Some fans need to take a good look at themselves. Mullen has played about 100 mins of football and he's not actually done that much wrong.

Absolute nonsense, he is positionally all over the place and no awareness whatsoever of how to play the position. He should never have been exposed to Mackay-Steven today tho and for that the master tactician in the dug out must take the blame.

lucky
17-08-2013, 06:56 PM
Fenlon hung the boy out to dry today. He might develop into a player but not ready for the 1st team yet

Brightside
17-08-2013, 07:00 PM
I agree he is not the finished article but given time I think he will be a decent RB, and when fit Clancy should be first choice. But why Fenlon picks Stevenson over McGivern at LB is beyond me.

IMO Forster should be playing instead of Hanlon.

How can u drop hanlon after that game??

Iggy Pope
17-08-2013, 07:04 PM
Get a grip, he was up against one of the best left sided players in the league. Ok, he made a bad tackle, but least he is getting stuck in, more than can be said for some of his team mates!

He has been hooked two weeks on the trot for his own good. He is not there to make bad tackles. If he is a RB tackling is the least he should be able to carry off.
He shouldn't be starting and replacing him weekly would be a waste of a sub under normal circumstances. I say normal, as Paddy seems hell bent on wasting all of our subs.

Aside: If Pat thinks Forsrter is good enough to debut in a derby and play centre defence in the National cup final, what has the boy done wrong since? Similarly Caldwell.
Very frustrating.

17-08-2013, 07:05 PM
Not read any of the previous posts, but just want to say this boy needs to be dropped. Then emptied from Hibs when his contract is up.

JollyGreenGiant
17-08-2013, 07:06 PM
How can u drop hanlon after that game??

What, now your telling me Hanlon had a great game??

He has been a promising youngster for about 5 years now, he is too soft and gets bullied most games - time for a change imo as we have continuously lost soft goals with him at CH.

Brightside
17-08-2013, 07:09 PM
Help me out here as i was obv at a different game. Name one thing Hanlon did wrong today? The goal was nothing to do with him and they never got passed him once, and he didnt have to foul to win balls time and again. A very good display from a very assured player.

hibsbollah
17-08-2013, 07:11 PM
He was terrible today, but he was up against mackay stevens, admittedly. Who was Mullen was up against the yams? Was it Walker?

JollyGreenGiant
17-08-2013, 07:11 PM
Not read any of the previous posts, but just want to say this boy needs to be dropped. Then emptied from Hibs when his contract is up.

Based on 3 games............

Yams I know were raging when they released him as they thought he was one of there most promising youngster. But you want him binned after 3 games???

Emerald
17-08-2013, 07:13 PM
Help me out here as i was obv at a different game. Name one thing Hanlon did wrong today? The goal was nothing to do with him and they never got passed him once, and he didnt have to foul to win balls time and again. A very good display from a very assured player.

Agree 100%

Billy Whizz
17-08-2013, 07:13 PM
Get stuffed, how old is the boy 19 or so. He came here as an understudy and he's played in a few games this season. He's a young lad learning his trade, who's been thrown in at the deep end

Iggy Pope
17-08-2013, 07:14 PM
He was terrible today, but he was up against mackay stevens, admittedly. Who was Mullen was up against the yams? Was it Walker?

Smith ? or some ****er I have never heard of. And he got booked for sliding in miles late, halfway up the Hearts half, hopelessly out of position.

He needs some football away from the first team.

JollyGreenGiant

Every goal we lose comes straight through the middle of our defence, he is not good enough!

Billy Whizz
Smith ? or some ****er I have never heard of. And he got booked for sliding in miles late, halfway up the Hearts half, hopelessly out of position.

I agree, a few games at under 20 level to get his match fitness up

Iggy Pope
17-08-2013, 07:16 PM

Agreed. But the Hanlon debate will rumble on as long as he plays for us. Before going on to do a class job where he might be appreciated.

hibsbollah
17-08-2013, 07:21 PM

Normally with a young full back you think he'll make a few mistakes because he won't have the experience to deal with seasoned pros like Mackay Stevens or Macfadden or whoever, but at least you'll get plenty of pace and energy. But Mullen doesnt look like he's got any speed either :dunno: Roasted over 30 yards by John Sutton. Not a good sign.

AFKA5814_Hibs
17-08-2013, 07:36 PM
Where was Maybury? Mullen was a diaster waiting to happen.

DaveF
17-08-2013, 07:40 PM
Normally with a young full back you think he'll make a few mistakes because he won't have the experience to deal with seasoned pros like Mackay Stevens or Macfadden or whoever, but at least you'll get plenty of pace and energy. But Mullen doesnt look like he's got any speed either :dunno: Roasted over 30 yards by John Sutton. Not a good sign.

He's not a seasoned pro. He has more experience than Mullen but he's miles away fro being what you describe.

Mullen will be selected next week but he shouldn't be. However, that's Fenlon for ya.

Iggy Pope
17-08-2013, 07:42 PM
He's not a seasoned pro. He has more experience than Mullen but he's miles away fro being what you describe.

Mullen will be selected next week but he shouldn't be. However, that's Fenlon for ya.

Surely, surely not.
This would be Groundhog Day

Jonnyboy
17-08-2013, 08:07 PM
I feel for Mullen. From what I know, he's not a defender and shouldn't be played there.

He'd a poor game today but the fact is he should never have started. Fenlon is the person to blame here, not the kid

Billy Whizz
17-08-2013, 08:09 PM
I feel for Mullen. From what I know, he's not a defender and shouldn't be played there.

He'd a poor game today but the fact is he should never have started. Fenlon is the person to blame here, not the kid

Jonnyboy, where should he play

Jonnyboy
17-08-2013, 08:11 PM
Jonnyboy, where should he play

In the U20's for a while until he gets his confidence back. If I were picking him for the first team right now, I'd play him as the wide right midfielder. He has pace and a decent cross which we're missing with Harris injured

Andy74
17-08-2013, 08:12 PM

He's our back up right back with the first choice injured. Who should have started there?

hibsbollah
17-08-2013, 08:12 PM

OK, maybe 'seasoned pro' is the wrong phrase for Mackay Stevens, but my point is he's a good player.

Billy Whizz
17-08-2013, 08:13 PM
In the U20's for a while until he gets his confidence back. If I were picking him for the first team right now, I'd play him as the wide right midfielder. He has pace and a decent cross which we're missing with Harris injured

You're probably right. I actually feel sorry for him. Had an injury in pre-season and thrown into the 1st team because of our injury situation, when probably not ready

hibsbollah
17-08-2013, 08:14 PM

I defer to your greater knowledge Jonny, but it looks to me that pace is exactly what he doesn't have :dunno:

hibee_girl

:agree:

Said this from his first game, he is no defender but looks good going forward.

Jonnyboy
He's our back up right back with the first choice injured. Who should have started there?

The point is Andy that he's not a defender and so Fenlon is wrong to have him play at right back at all. Each time he's played he's been ripped by his opponent and yet PF keeps picking him. Maybury is still registered as a player and is a right back. He should be in ahead of Mullen, given it's just cover until Clancy rises from the dead

DaveF
17-08-2013, 08:15 PM
OK, maybe 'seasoned pro' is the wrong phrase for Mackay Stevens, but my point is he's a good player.

Yep he is. And our manager should expect our defence to be up against good players. If Mullen ain't good enough in Fenlon's opinion, then don't play him. All he (Fenlon) has done in the last 2 games is break whatever confidence Mullen had.

hibee_girl
I defer to your greater knowledge Jonny, but it looks to me that pace is exactly what he doesn't have :dunno:

He does look fast but only when going forward, defending he's shockingly slow.

Jonnyboy

Maybe he just looks quick when compared to his team mates :greengrin

Jonnyboy
17-08-2013, 08:16 PM
Yep he is. And our manager should expect our defence to be up against good players. If Mullen ain't good enough in Fenlon's opinion, then don't play him. All he (Fenlon) has done in the last 2 games is break whatever confidence Mullen had.

Exactly. Cue the neanderthals saying 'if he cannae take criticism he should **** off' :wink:

Heedersnvolleys
17-08-2013, 08:19 PM

I heard this as well, came through Hearts youth teams as a midfielder and really only played RB for them when they had no one else to play there! Yet PF signs him as an out and out RB?????

Billy Whizz
17-08-2013, 08:22 PM
I heard this as well, came through Hearts youth teams as a midfielder and really only played RB for them when they had no one else to play there! Yet PF signs him as an out and out RB?????

I'm sure Pat signed him on the recommendation of the Hibs Youth Manager, but has no other option that to play him at the moment, as we have no one else. If Clancy isn't going to be fit soon, we need to sign another right back

BVB Hibs
17-08-2013, 09:01 PM
Sorry this is typical Hibs.net , the favourite "Boo Boys" Hanlon and Stevenson play well and we have to find knew targets and tonight it is Mullen(ex-Hearts) and Nelson (ex-killie). Mullen made a silly tackle and was booked and as he was up against 1 of the most dangerous wingers in the league our (under fire) manager subs him and puts a favourite boo boy in his position who then plays really well so we slag Mullen , and then Nelson comes in for some slagging for being slow but today I saw him run down 2 of the quicker Dundee Utd. players in the second half , but this is Hibs.net and we have to have targets. Lets face it Mullen is very young and hopefully will improve and Nelson is an old fashioned centre half who clears the ball , do not expect silky football from him . Personally they are both Hibs players now and I will back them as long as they remain but reserve the right to shout at them if they make mistakes and they will as will all the players and I will shout at them but back them as long as they are Hibbys. GGTTH

:agree: Nelson was our most solid player in the first two weeks, and now he's coming under fire because he's "too slow and has poor distribution". We're not Barcelona, we can't expect a player who's under 10 seconds on 100 meters, can head, tackle, shoot and is able to put the ball on a players feet 50 yards away. Nelson was brought in to do a job, and he's done that job well. Sure, we're vulnerable to the ball over the top, but it sure beats last year when we seemed to be vulnerable to the ball everywhere. He's no nonsense and was brought in to stabilise a sinking ship, and if you ask me he's done just that. When we've built a unit, then we can look to bring in flair players that can do that something special. Got to walk before you can run and all that.

I'd rather see Forster played personally, because I think he's a good young player who is more than capable of being an SPFL centre back. However, all he needs to do is make one mistake and you'll have people in here crying about him not being ready and slaughtering Pat for not starting Nelson. I personally I wouldn't start a young player either at Easter Road, because it doesn't take a lot until some of our "support" starts jumping all over them. I mean, sure, Mullen hasn't found his feet yet, but it's not exactly been made easy for him, has it?

bruno
17-08-2013, 09:16 PM

I watched fraser throughout his time in the youths and can assure you he has no pace whatsoever
He is is a hard worker and trainer but fitness and pace are the main reasons he was let go as well as unfortunately battling back from injury.
He has great delivery at free kicks corners and crossing on the run but I think right back will be his best position. However like many young lads he needs protection from wide players in front of him while he learns the game.
He is not afraid to take responsibility and has confidence as shown by taking a penalty on his debut fof the first team
I wish him every success but he will need time
Our last right back Ryan McGowan was like a fish out of water when he first played full back but was a good learner and in my opinion succeeded

Weir7
17-08-2013, 09:27 PM

Spot on. Fenlon shafted him today

Kaff
17-08-2013, 09:31 PM
What, now your telling me Hanlon had a great game??

He has been a promising youngster for about 5 years now, he is too soft and gets bullied most games - time for a change imo as we have continuously lost soft goals with him at CH.

Mark my words Hanlon will do well at SPL or Champ level in England if we are stupid enough to lose him. Wotherspoon wont go on to be a top international but he was good enough for me at Hibs and Hanlon is too

iwasthere1972
17-08-2013, 09:34 PM
Unfair.

Aye unfair on us who have to watch him. Guy is hopeless. Far too slow and can't tackle.

Jonnyboy
17-08-2013, 09:35 PM
I watched fraser throughout his time in the youths and can assure you he has no pace whatsoever
He is is a hard worker and trainer but fitness and pace are the main reasons he was let go as well as unfortunately battling back from injury.
He has great delivery at free kicks corners and crossing on the run but I think right back will be his best position. However like many young lads he needs protection from wide players in front of him while he learns the game.
He is not afraid to take responsibility and has confidence as shown by taking a penalty on his debut fof the first team
I wish him every success but he will need time
Our last right back Ryan McGowan was like a fish out of water when he first played full back but was a good learner and in my opinion succeeded

So right mid would suit him better :wink:

Call me cynical but a Hearts fan suggesting we persevere with Fraser at right back has me wondering :greengrin

AFKA5814_Hibs
17-08-2013, 09:35 PM
Mullen should have been replaced by.Maybury. Jezzo everybody reliased what should have happened apart from clueless fenlon

bruno
17-08-2013, 09:42 PM
So right mid would suit him better :wink:

Call me cynical but a Hearts fan suggesting we persevere with Fraser at right back has me wondering :greengrin

No he played centre mid when I first saw him play where his lack of pace was not as exposed
I would persevere with him but not first team week in week out
I think you playing a player who underperformed is the least of our worries at the moment but please feel free to keep Fenlon in a job

He still young and if you have the option I would ease him in gently
The ability to take corners and free kicks does not mean you can play right mid in my opinion

Jonnyboy
17-08-2013, 09:44 PM
No he played centre mid when I first saw him play where his lack of pace was not as exposed
I would persevere with him but not first team week in week out
I think you playing a player who underperformed is the least of our worries at the moment but please feel free to keep Fenlon in a job

He still young and if you have the option I would ease him in gently
The ability to take corners and free kicks does not mean you can play right mid in my opinion

I was thinking more of the crossing on the run - a rare thing at ER these days

Eyrie
17-08-2013, 09:50 PM
Mullen is not ready to play RB for Hibs, and lacks pace from what I've seen. Stick him in the u20s and see how/if he develops.

We should have signed Hately given Clancy's ongoing injury problems (and still can). But since we won't then give Forster or Maybury the chance instead because it doesn't do Stevenson any favours to be stuck on his wrong side.

YehButNoBut
17-08-2013, 10:06 PM
Mullen is not ready to play RB for Hibs, and lacks pace from what I've seen. Stick him in the u20s and see how/if he develops.

We should have signed Hately given Clancy's ongoing injury problems (and still can). But since we won't then give Forster or Maybury the chance instead because it doesn't do Stevenson any favours to be stuck on his wrong side.

I find it strange that Tom Hateley is still a free agent at this stage in the season as he seems a decent RB and is still only 23.

Unless he is waiting for Rangers he would seem to be the ideal player for our RB spot, why have we not tried to get him??

Agree that Mullen is still to inexperienced and needs a spell in the U20 team, he's not ready for a regular spot in the 1st team yet.

AFKA5814_Hibs
17-08-2013, 10:10 PM
Fraser Mullen is a poor player but no worse tbh than anybody else tbh.

Eyrie
18-08-2013, 09:27 AM
I find it strange that Tom Hateley is still a free agent at this stage in the season as he seems a decent RB and is still only 23.

Unless he is waiting for Rangers he would seem to be the ideal player for our RB spot, why have we not tried to get him??

Agree that Mullen is still to inexperienced and needs a spell in the U20 team, he's not ready for a regular spot in the 1st team yet.

The only two suggestions I've read (both on here, no external links to back them up) are that he'll sign for Sevco Huns (but they normally announce that with great glee) or that he wants to play in midfield rather than at RB.

Beefster
18-08-2013, 09:29 AM

In that team, if you can break into a gentle trot, you're Usain Bolt compared to the rest of them.

PISTOL1875
18-08-2013, 10:11 AM
The amount of stick FM is getting on here is nothing short of terrible.. Has anybody actually taken any time to remember that He has had no Support from the player in front of him in 3 weeks now ? Liam Craig gave him no help against Motherwell and Danny Handling hung him out to dry today FFS.

jdships
18-08-2013, 10:15 AM
The amount of stick FM is getting on here is nothing short of terrible.. Has anybody actually taken any time to remember that He has had no Support from the player in front of him in 3 weeks now ? Liam Craig gave him no help against Motherwell and Danny Handling hung him out to dry today FFS.

Good to see we have moved on from " Ripping up " Lewis S but sad to see a young lad now getting " the treatment " :rolleyes:
:greengrin:wink:

Heisenberg
18-08-2013, 10:15 AM

Dosent excuse getting ripped in every single 1v1 situation though does it?Every team targets him too, just ping the ball over his head and he gets lost. He's not very good at defending.

blackpoolhibs
18-08-2013, 10:16 AM

He's not an SPFL standard player, the person getting the stick should be the idiot who keeps picking him then subbing him. Its a complete waste of a substitute.

And thats all the more galling, when you consider we have Maybury and Forster sitting on their arse doing nowt.:rolleyes:

PISTOL1875
18-08-2013, 10:19 AM
Dosent excuse getting ripped in every single 1v1 situation though does it?Every team targets him too, just ping the ball over his head and he gets lost. He's not very good at defending.

If the player playing infront of him helped him out and doubled up with him then he might have a bit more joy then won't he ???

silverhibee
18-08-2013, 10:19 AM

Up until he was subbed he was the only player who was putting crosses in to the box.

The lads confidence would have taking a dunt after yesterday.

Why is Fenlon still our manager.

lord bunberry
18-08-2013, 10:27 AM
What I don't understand about mullen is why he is starting games then being subbed in the first half. He is a young right back who obviously has a bit of talent, but he isn't ready to be a regular starter. We have other options in his position yet we keep playing him. We are going to end up ruining the boy.

Heisenberg
18-08-2013, 10:28 AM
If the player playing infront of him helped him out and doubled up with him then he might have a bit more joy then won't he ???

He can't expect to have someone there to hold his hand and help him defend against his opponent. Fair enough if he was left 2v1 but GMS was just waltzing past him by himself every time. Play him at right midfield or not at all.

PISTOL1875
18-08-2013, 10:31 AM
He can't expect to have someone there to hold his hand and help him defend against his opponent. Fair enough if he was left 2v1 but GMS was just waltzing past him by himself every time. Play him at right midfield or not at all.

I am not saying he needs somebody to hgold his hand but the midfield player HAS to help out his full back..

blackpoolhibs
18-08-2013, 10:36 AM
I am not saying he needs somebody to hgold his hand but the midfield player HAS to help out his full back..

Have you watched him play though, he's just not very good at defending?

He constantly gets the wrong side of his man, he's quite slow and he's an awful tackler. Apparently he can take a good free kick, but call me old fashioned but i'd just like someone a wee bit better than Mullen.

If he's an SPFL standard right back, i'm getting my boots back on, and making a call to Fenlon.

Pray4Marc
18-08-2013, 10:37 AM

This is it, got stuck in last week against his old team too. With Thomson being suspended, why not play Craig in the middle and Mullen out wide as he would give us width and has a good delivery. Forster at RB, that would look pretty good too me.

Ray_
18-08-2013, 10:42 AM
He's not an SPFL standard player, the person getting the stick should be the idiot who keeps picking him then subbing him. Its a complete waste of a substitute.

And thats all the more galling, when you consider we have Maybury and Forster sitting on their arse doing nowt.:rolleyes:

:top marks

In a nutshell, why should anyone give the kid a hard time :rolleyes: Its the managers job to protect the youngsters, not put them in the lions den, which includes a team low in confidence/unmotivated and directly against arguable the best winger in the league. Lewis Stevenson has previously had Mackay-Steven in his back pocket, why he wasn't given the role from the start is again testimony to the decision making [or lack of] of what should be our main man.

brydekirk
18-08-2013, 11:13 AM

Your not the first poster I've heard putting Forster's name forward at RB. Has he played there before ? Just asking.

blackpoolhibs
18-08-2013, 11:17 AM
Your not the first poster I've heard putting Forster's name forward at RB. Has he played there before ? Just asking.

Yip lots of games for the stiffs apparently.

Andy74
18-08-2013, 11:19 AM
Up until he was subbed he was the only player who was putting crosses in to the box.

The lads confidence would have taking a dunt after yesterday.

Why is Fenlon still our manager.

Making this about Fenlon is stupid.

He is a young lad with some SPL experience already so him deputising now is fine.

He got booked early though against a very good winger who went on to rip him a few times. It was a good move to take him off.

It's better for him to get playing time and learn from these things than it is not to play.

silverhibee
18-08-2013, 11:30 AM

He is a young lad with some SPL experience already so him deputising now is fine.

He got booked early though against a very good winger who went on to rip him a few times. It was a good move to take him off.

It's better for him to get playing time and learn from these things than it is not to play.

Correct, keep on defending everything.

Fenlon Out Now.

blackpoolhibs
18-08-2013, 11:31 AM

I'd say its completely Fenlons fault, Mullen will continue to get ripped apart and make mistakes. And the reason being he's a poor player, he can get all the experience he likes playing for Hibs, but we will continue to see a poor player.

Even Maybury who's not my favorite player is still much better than Mullen, and Forster who's played right back would be a better option in my opinion.

FFS Lewis Stevenson is a better right back than Mullen, even though it completely unbalances the back 4.

HUTCHYHIBBY
18-08-2013, 11:31 AM

Is there anything Fenlon has done in his tenure worthy of criticism in your eyes Andy?

Heisenberg
18-08-2013, 11:35 AM

Of course it's Fenlons fault. That's twice now he's had to hook him off because he's been getting a chasing and has been booked. He can't defend to save himself, Hearts fans told us this and that's most likely why he was released.

3pm
18-08-2013, 11:38 AM

It was the only decision he could make.

The bad decision was playing him. That's twice he's been hooked in 2 games.

If McGivern was fit to play, he should have been on from the start. 45 mins last week, available for NI last week and the best part of an hour yesterday indicates he was fit.

It's fine sayjng it was the right decision to sub him but he was wrong to play him.

I have no axe to grind with Mullen and I agree he needs to learn but it's debatable this is the time to do so.

Andy74
18-08-2013, 08:22 PM
It was the only decision he could make.

The bad decision was playing him. That's twice he's been hooked in 2 games.

If McGivern was fit to play, he should have been on from the start. 45 mins last week, available for NI last week and the best part of an hour yesterday indicates he was fit.

It's fine sayjng it was the right decision to sub him but he was wrong to play him.

I have no axe to grind with Mullen and I agree he needs to learn but it's debatable this is the time to do so.

A couple of weeks ago the fans were raging at Fenlon for not playing Mullen and using Stevenson instead.

Bobby's Cinema
18-08-2013, 08:33 PM
Is there anything Fenlon has done in his tenure worthy of criticism in your eyes Andy?
The stubbornness in the face of questioning any element of the club is very boring, seemingly attention seeking. I don't think even he believes what he's saying. Andy I mean, although the second part could apply to Pat

Andy74
18-08-2013, 08:39 PM
The stubbornness in the face of questioning any element of the club is very boring, seemingly attention seeking. I don't think even he believes what he's saying. Andy I mean, although the second part could apply to Pat

It could be that like you guys I'm just continuing to argue for points that I believe in? Not sure why that's an issue? Almost every post now is anti Fenlon or anti Hibs, much of it pretty construed now and a lot of it unnecessarily abusive. I'm sure you and others can handle the odd post that doesn't favour that type of approach.

Jonnyboy
18-08-2013, 08:40 PM

Can you enlighten us, given your vast knowledge of all things Fenlon, in what way was it a good decision to play a struggling youngster against one of the best young wide players in the league only to realise the error of that decision and replace him after he'd had a new one ripped for him? That lad's confidence suffered yet another dent. The decision to play him at all when he has a seasoned pro right back available is quite frankly baffling.

Bobby's Cinema
18-08-2013, 08:46 PM
Fair reply, I'm sure most sensible folk don't agree with the personal abuse towards Pat either. But you seem to have your head in the sand on so many things. We have not and will not progress with Pat.

Andy74
18-08-2013, 08:51 PM
Can you enlighten us, given your vast knowledge of all things Fenlon, in what way was it a good decision to play a struggling youngster against one of the best young wide players in the league only to realise the error of that decision and replace him after he'd had a new one ripped for him? That lad's confidence suffered yet another dent. The decision to play him at all when he has a seasoned pro right back available is quite frankly baffling.

I think the booking so early was the main factor in pulling him out of it.

Not sure why he started other than Maybury wasn't on bench and assume that the focus is trying to build a team on not rely on someone who is really here as a coach this year.

If Maybury had played he'd have been done as well I think. He started Stevenson right back v Malmo and got abuse for not playing Mullen. At this stage folk are looking for almost anything to back up why Fenlon should go so makes no real odds.

Jonnyboy
18-08-2013, 08:53 PM
I think the booking so early was the main factor in pulling him out of it.

Not sure why he started other than Maybury wasn't on bench and assume that the focus is trying to build a team on not rely on someone who is really here as a coach this year.

If Maybury had played he'd have been done as well I think. He started Stevenson right back v Malmo and got abuse for not playing Mullen. At this stage folk are looking for almost anything to back up why Fenlon should go so makes no real odds.

Do you honestly believe that persevering with a young player who is obviously struggling is the right thing to do? It seems to me he is not learning from previous experience - Fenlon that is.

Andy74
18-08-2013, 08:58 PM
Do you honestly believe that persevering with a young player who is obviously struggling is the right thing to do? It seems to me he is not learning from previous experience - Fenlon that is.

If he didn't he'd be accused of persevering with Lewis at right back or being desperate in bringing back a past it part of the coaching team.

Pretty sure he'd prefer a fit Clancy right now.

blackpoolhibs
18-08-2013, 08:59 PM
If he didn't he'd be accused of persevering with Lewis at right back or being desperate in bringing back a past it part of the coaching team.

I just think you play the best player available, and that's clearly not Mullen?

Jonnyboy
18-08-2013, 09:01 PM

Wouldn't we all.

Why would PF bother if he was being accused of something. He's the manager and is paid to make decisions. Maybury isn't just a coach, he's a registered player and so PF must have decided he needed that option. As to GMS giving Maybury as much trouble as he did Mullen I'd wager Maybury's experience would have seen him play the United player differently.

Not sure why being criticised would come into it for PF. Seems to be pretty much his own man

Andy74
18-08-2013, 09:19 PM
I just think you play the best player available, and that's clearly not Mullen?

Not sure it's clear who it would be though! :greengrin

Andy74
18-08-2013, 09:20 PM
Wouldn't we all.

Why would PF bother if he was being accused of something. He's the manager and is paid to make decisions. Maybury isn't just a coach, he's a registered player and so PF must have decided he needed that option. As to GMS giving Maybury as much trouble as he did Mullen I'd wager Maybury's experience would have seen him play the United player differently.

Not sure why being criticised would come into it for PF. Seems to be pretty much his own man

I'm not saying the criticism is in Pat's mind. I'm saying whatever he did he'd have been slated on here for it being the wrong option.

3pm
18-08-2013, 09:22 PM
I'm not saying the criticism is in Pat's mind. I'm saying whatever he did he'd have been slated on here for it being the wrong option.

Not if it's the right decision. He doesn't make many of them though.

blackpoolhibs
18-08-2013, 09:28 PM
Not sure it's clear who it would be though! :greengrin

Its as clear as the nose on Fenlons face its not Mullen?

The guy is not even the 3rd best right back at the club, he's a poor player Andy.

Irish_Steve
18-08-2013, 09:54 PM
Nelson was poor IMO, his distribution for a professional football is nothing short of pathetic and he has zero pace. Two year deal is a baffling decision. Suppose he's decent in the air and chucks his body in front of things, if I was forced to look for a positive.

I presume you were at the game yesterday to make such a decision. Or did i just think it was someone else giving Goodwillie a head-start and still catching him? Nelson did the same thing in the second half as well but not sure which Utd player he got the better off that time.

however, dont let that cloud future comments

Sir David Gray
18-08-2013, 11:43 PM

:agree: Every time Mackay-Stevens was in a 1v1 with Mullen, he tore right through him. That had nothing to do with help or not from Handling, as Lewis had a few 1v1s as well and managed to cope very well.

I'm not sticking the boot into Mullen or writing him off, but it's clear that he's not ready yet and I agree with the other posters who have said he should be in the u20s. If Forster can play RB I'd like to see him get the chance there instead.

Just looked through this thread and there's a lot of interesting opinions.

One thing I can't ignore though is this constant reference to "Mackay-Stevens".

It's Mackay-Steven. Gary Mackay-Steven! :grr:

It's not plural!

Sorry, just had to get that off my chest!

:wink:

Brightside
19-08-2013, 07:15 AM
I presume you were at the game yesterday to make such a decision. Or did i just think it was someone else giving Goodwillie a head-start and still catching him? Nelson did the same thing in the second half as well but not sure which Utd player he got the better off that time.

Nelson doesnt appear to havea problem with pace tbh. Thats a Killie myth. BUT he really cannae pass a ball to save his life.

southsider
19-08-2013, 07:55 AM
Why did he even start ? He is murder. Too small for a full-back, nae pace, canny tackle....nae wonder he got freed from the PBS.

hibsbollah
19-08-2013, 08:30 AM

I saw that too and I couldn't believe he made up the ground against Goodwillie. Nelson looked one-paced through most of the game, and was beaten for pace a number of times against Motherwell the other week too. But for that one instant he looked like Gary Locke rushing for the 'golden shower hotel' bus. Bizarre.

YehButNoBut
19-08-2013, 09:34 AM
There are 2 decent RB's available for free at the moment namely Mark Wilson & Tom Hately, find it hard to believe with the problems we are having in this position we are not busting a gut to get one of them to ER.

hibeedonald
19-08-2013, 10:09 AM
Mullen puts in the effort at least, tries his hardest, which is all you can ask for

The Sea-gull
19-08-2013, 10:27 AM
What we must remember about Mullen is that he has not been signed to be a first choice right back, he has been signed to be a back up to Clancy who is now injured.

We do have Maybury still signed but it sounds very much like he will only be used in emergencies. It would be a slap in the face to Mullen if Maybury got the nod while he was fit and available to play.

That brings me to my next point though, is Mullen any better than any of the young right backs we have on our books? He hardly looks like a superstar that we have "snatched" from the clutches of other clubs and don't think he was that highly rated by Hearts otherwise surely he would have played more games for them.

So far it seems we have signed an average, raw, young player who may or may not come good. Surely we had someone like that already on the books who could have got his chance and the signing of Mullen is a bit of a slap in the face to him.

The Sea-gull
19-08-2013, 10:32 AM
There are 2 decent RB's available for free at the moment namely Mark Wilson & Tom Hately, find it hard to believe with the problems we are having in this position we are not busting a gut to get one of them to ER.

Either of them, especially hately, would be great signings. Would even say Hately has a sell on value. We do have enough cover at right back but I would say, given Clancy's injury record and Mullen's inexperience, signing a third first team sqaud player for this particular position mya be worth it if the aforementioned quality of player was available.

Hately brings not only quality to the position but a good dead ball delivery and a goal threat. Think I might have read on here though that he wants to go someoewhere he will be considered a midfielder. That said, hibs is your place for that as Pat considers everyone a defensive midfielder.

Am I right in saying both Wilson and Hately can play anywhere accross the back and midfield?

JimBHibees
19-08-2013, 10:56 AM
Mullen puts in the effort at least, tries his hardest, which is all you can ask for

First of all I will say I wasn't there on Saturday but in the games I have seen him including the brief highlights I am a little disappointed in how little he puts in when he has been beaten. The Motherwell goal and the GMS run where he cut the ball back I would be expecting a beaten full back to be sprinting back desperately trying to get a tackle in. In both there appeared to be an acceptance he had been beaten and that he couldnt effect the next passage of play.

blackpoolhibs
19-08-2013, 10:58 AM

With all due respect thats bollox, its the minimum you can ask for. :confused:

Shrekko
19-08-2013, 11:11 AM
With all due respect thats bollox, its the minimum you can ask for. :confused:

Not really - when a player gets picked he can only try his very hardest. What he lacks in ability isn't his fault.

The blame lies with the manager who signs then picks the player.

Mullen is a great example of someone who does give 100 percent but doesn't have attributes such as pace, which he simply wasn't blessed with.

Greenblood70
19-08-2013, 12:18 PM
Not really - when a player gets picked he can only try his very hardest. What he lacks in ability isn't his fault.

Mullen is a great example of someone who does give 100 percent but doesn't have attributes such as pace, which he simply wasn't blessed with.

I think you can get away with not having a lot of pace as a defender if your positioning is good. Unfortunately Mullen has shown in the limited time he's been on the pitch that he has no idea where he should be in relation to the play. The ball continually cuts him out over his head and he's then on the back foot straight away imo. Reading Bruno's post it seems he doesn't have a lot of experience at Right back and my main gripe is how hibs Coaching Staff reckon he could have done a job there against one of the trickiest wide players in the league. He was hung out to dry by Fenlon on Saturday (granted the cover wasn't apparant either from right mid). From what I've seen he's got no natural defensive abilities at all and only looks more comfortable going forward.

Brightside
19-08-2013, 12:27 PM
I think you can get away with not having a lot of pace as a defender if your positioning is good. Unfortunately Mullen has shown in the limited time he's been on the pitch that he has no idea where he should be in relation to the play. The ball continually cuts him out over his head and he's then on the back foot straight away imo. Reading Bruno's post it seems he doesn't have a lot of experience at Right back and my main gripe is how hibs Coaching Staff reckon he could have done a job there against one of the trickiest wide players in the league. He was hung out to dry by Fenlon on Saturday (granted the cover wasn't apparant either from right mid). From what I've seen he's got no natural defensive abilities at all and only looks more comfortable going forward.

Exactly. You dont actually need pace to defend well if you position yourself correctly. He just doesnt have that in his locker at the moment. I would like to see us sign a decent RB. There must be 100s of them available as its where 90% of players end up at some point!

Bayern Bru
19-08-2013, 12:37 PM
I actually think Mullen will come good. Tin hat firmly on here, but he's still 19, and he's only played 10 top flight league matches in his career. Two have been for Hibs - one against his former employers and one where he was pitted against the most talented and tricky left winger in the Scottish Premiership.

He's young, he's raw, he'll learn.

But we really need to dispel the myth that savagely abusing our own players every time they touch the ball does wonders for confidence and ability.

Because it really doesn't.

Fergus52
19-08-2013, 01:11 PM
Fenlon hung the boy out to dry. Having nobody at right mid to double up on GMS was a sin.

If you speak to people in Hibs youth dept they will tell you Mullen isn't a strong defender.

If should be in thr U20s to assess him. Never ready for first team.

Fenlon was offered Mark Wilson but said no.

Is that all FACT, aye?

CRAZYHIBBY
19-08-2013, 06:43 PM
I think the criticism of mullen is unfair.......hes a young lad signed from our biggest rivals and clearly trying to win over the support with his hefty tackling....he done his job and stopped thier player in his tracks.........sure he could have timed it better but if gms got a decent cross in then we could have lost a goal.....we need players with fight in them and I reckon he will come good

blackpoolhibs
19-08-2013, 06:48 PM

I agree, its not Mullens fault he's being picked to play. :agree: What i was meaning is every player should give their all, what i have seen from the lad is he's nowhere near good enough for the SPFL, and i want better than he has in ability, just giving your all is not enough for me.

IberianHibernian
19-08-2013, 09:16 PM
First time I saw Mullen ( never noticed him against us last season ) was in Gibraltar when despite fantastic goal I was disappointed in him but that was a friendly against different opposition than most of our games Since then he`s shown a good attitude but that he`s not really ready to be a regular in first team . Has shown enough to suggest he`ll be a useful squad player and think we got it right offering him a 1 - year deal . He`s got a great chance to prove his doubters wrong after early substitution and I suspect Fenlon knows that too and was using a bit of psychology too . Whatever , would be great to see a fully - fit Clancy back because he was very impressive last autumn .

aunty joyce
19-08-2013, 09:37 PM
I actually think Mullen will come good. Tin hat firmly on here, but he's still 19, and he's only played 10 top flight league matches in his career. Two have been for Hibs - one against his former employers and one where he was pitted against the most talented and tricky left winger in the Scottish Premiership.

He's young, he's raw, he'll learn.

But we really need to dispel the myth that savagely abusing our own players every time they touch the ball does wonders for confidence and ability

Because it really doesn't.

I totally agree with your comments, some of our support seem to relish in abusing our players and it baffles me as to what they think this will achieve . . . to those of you who are guilty of this act then shame on you. I have no doubt if you were verbally abused a fraction of how you abuse 'our players' I'm sure you would have decked someone by now. Everyone is entitled to their opinion on a players ability but to voice it so vehemently especially whilst they are on the park giving 100% (whether that 100% is good enough or not) shows a lack of decency in my opinion, but hey I'm sure you'll just carry on because it clearly works wonders with David Wotherspoon being a prime example. I don't have my tin hat on because fortunately like yourselves I too am entitled to my opinion and if it offends then tough.:na na: