PDA

View Full Version : When was the last time.............

The Sea-gull
15-08-2013, 10:54 AM
.............we signed a player from directly from another SPL team or someone with significant SPL experience earlier in their career, who performed as well or better for us.

It is still too early to judge Craig, OTJ, Vine, Nelson and even Robertson to a lesser extent but none of them have performed thus far how we have seen them performing for their previous SPL teams and they seem to have joined a long line of decent SPL players who haven't replicated their form in their Hibs careers. Even Kevin Thomson hasn't been as good for us as he was in his first spell

I give you Tim Clancy, Alan Maybury (though he was quite old by the time we got him), Michael Hart, Mark Brown, Graeme Smith, John Rankin, Colin Nish, Darryl Duffy, Ivan Sproule/Gary O'Connor/Derek Riordan (second spells compared to first), David Van Zanten, Brian Kerr, Paddy Cregg, Kevin McBride.

There are probably others, feel free to add.

The only ones in recent times I can think of are Stokes who replicated his Falkirk form at Hibs and Riordan who bettered his Celtic form in his second spell but that is almost cancelled out by him not hitting any where near the form of his first spell. Sol Bamba perhaps could be added too.

Going back a bit, maybe a slight case for Stephen Glass when he was fit.

I wonder why players don't produce form at Hibs that they have produced elsewhere.

lord bunberry
15-08-2013, 10:57 AM
Deeks

nribs
15-08-2013, 11:18 AM
.............we signed a player from directly from another SPL team or someone with significant SPL experience earlier in their career, who performed as well or better for us.

It is still too early to judge Craig, OTJ, Vine, Nelson and even Robertson to a lesser extent but none of them have performed thus far how we have seen them performing for their previous SPL teams and they seem to have joined a long line of decent SPL players who haven't replicated their form in their Hibs careers. Even Kevin Thomson hasn't been as good for us as he was in his first spell

I give you Tim Clancy, Alan Maybury (though he was quite old by the time we got him), Michael Hart, Mark Brown, Graeme Smith, John Rankin, Colin Nish, Darryl Duffy, Ivan Sproule/Gary O'Connor/Derek Riordan (second spells compared to first), David Van Zanten, Brian Kerr, Paddy Cregg, Kevin McBride.

There are probably others, feel free to add.

The only ones in recent times I can think of are Stokes who replicated his Falkirk form at Hibs and Riordan who bettered his Celtic form in his second spell but that is almost cancelled out by him not hitting any where near the form of his first spell. Sol Bamba perhaps could be added too.

Going back a bit, maybe a slight case for Stephen Glass when he was fit.

I wonder why players don't produce form at Hibs that they have produced elsewhere.

Crunchie & Mikey O'Neil

Golden Bear
15-08-2013, 11:23 AM
Crunchie & Mikey O'Neil

Not sure on that one.

I think Crunchie's career went backwards when he came to Hibs. Two things in particular come to mind: (a) he was asked to perform defensive duties, and (b) he was often played on the wrong wing.

Oh wait ----------------------------!!!

:wink:

Makaveli
15-08-2013, 11:47 AM
Other than the ones you mentioned it's probably way back to John O'Neil and Gary Smith.

nribs
15-08-2013, 11:49 AM
Other than the ones you mentioned it's probably way back to John O'Neil and Gary Smith.
And Paul Fenwick

God Petrie
15-08-2013, 11:50 AM
Smith and Fenwick were pretty rank without Sauzee next to them to be honest.

jodjam
15-08-2013, 11:55 AM
Stevie Cowan. Slow cumbersome forward with the dons. Slow cumbersome goal machine with us

Stevie Reid
15-08-2013, 12:17 PM
John O'Neil

Stevie Reid
15-08-2013, 12:24 PM
Smith and Fenwick were pretty rank without Sauzee next to them to be honest.

Gary Smith was player of the year one year under Williamson, and excellent for us under Mowbray also.

The Sea-gull
15-08-2013, 12:41 PM
And Paul Fenwick

Might be wrong, but I don't think he had played SPL football before signing for us.

Was at teams like Morton, Raith, Partick maybe before we got him.

hfc rd
15-08-2013, 12:46 PM
Mixu? Was he not signed from Dundee United, I think?

Stevie Reid
15-08-2013, 12:52 PM
Mixu? Was he not signed from Dundee United, I think?

Was signed from Wolves IIRC, Bolton before that, Aberdeen before them - United were his first club in the UK I think. Was excellent for us though.

SunshineOnLeith
15-08-2013, 12:53 PM
I miss Sol Bamba :-(