PDA

View Full Version : Scottish clubs rubbish (lots of Hibs content)

Onion
14-08-2013, 06:40 AM
Article in the posh press by a Hibs supporting English journo. That pic still makes me shudder.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/scottish-football/10240550/At-least-we-fans-of-Scottish-clubs-know-we-are-rubbish.-Whats-the-excuse-in-England.html

James70
14-08-2013, 06:48 AM
Decent article but a pity he does not mention the disparity in tv money received by English and Scottish clubs.

Once again Hibs are a national laughing stock.

Were there any Hearts budding superstars soundly thrashed by England U20s last night though?

Islington Hibs
14-08-2013, 06:55 AM
Great post- all too accurate. Living in London and going to the odd Arsenal match, while the quality of play is off the scale, the league down here is increasingly lop sided with 15/20 also ran's. Also it's not quite the same as Easter Road; quality Arsenal may be, but nothing quite like passion of watching the mighty Hi-bees!

Scouse Hibee
14-08-2013, 09:04 AM
How you watch that **** every week is a jibe often thrown at me on my visits back home, normally by folk who's vast knowledge of everything football comes from a TV screen. My answer is usually ah well you can't beat actually being at a game of football no matter what the standard is...............you should try it!

Sylar
14-08-2013, 09:30 AM
It really gets my goat reading some of the tosh the English fans/pundits/journalists put out down here about the quality of Scottish football. They seem to forget that if you were to remove the ridiculous over-inflated finance from the Premiership, you'd have a wealth of absolute mediocrity. Realistically speaking, only 4 clubs down in England ever have a shot at winning the League and it's those clubs who are backed by finance most companies can only ever dream of!

Comparing Scottish Football to English Football is an absolutely pointless task as a) the 2 are not comparable entities and b) it's been done to death.

I'll tell you one thing though - give me Arbroath vs Forfar on a chilly December night over Man City vs Chelsea any day of the week.

LancashireHibby
14-08-2013, 09:49 AM
How you watch that **** every week is a jibe often thrown at me on my visits back home, normally by folk who's vast knowledge of everything football comes from a TV screen. My answer is usually ah well you can't beat actually being at a game of football no matter what the standard is...............you should try it!
Snap. Although I have found myself thoroughly enjoying the Championship since Bolton got relegated, far more than in the Premier League.

The lack of quality in the SP(F)L should really be opening the games up a bit as you'd see in the lower leagues down here, but that really doesn't seem to be the case a lot of the time. The main thing we need to solve is how exactly players who are perfectly adept at other clubs come to Hibs and suddenly become bad players overnight.

I do quite like the "one horse race" arguments though when you actually present the stats of how closely matched the rest of the league has been, and even Celtic's winning margin not being too dissimilar to Man Utd the other year.

CH-ibbie
14-08-2013, 10:31 AM
It really gets my goat reading some of the tosh the English fans/pundits/journalists put out down here about the quality of Scottish football. They seem to forget that if you were to remove the ridiculous over-inflated finance from the Premiership, you'd have a wealth of absolute mediocrity. Realistically speaking, only 4 clubs down in England ever have a shot at winning the League and it's those clubs who are backed by finance most companies can only ever dream of!

Comparing Scottish Football to English Football is an absolutely pointless task as a) the 2 are not comparable entities and b) it's been done to death.

I'll tell you one thing though - give me Arbroath vs Forfar on a chilly December night over Man City vs Chelsea any day of the week.

You absolutely speak my mind there mate. Even though i could see resonable quality over here in the Swiss league, there's nothing that matches watching the Hibees live, although I've often asked myself if there's ever a limit to the "maso element" witnessing the utter garbage one is continuously exposed to. My personal lowlight was some 4 or 5 years ago when we lost at home in a stunnigly dreadful game 0:1 to Falkirk(?) . There was no football at all, no atmosphere , plain nothing. As i had "prouldy but cautiously" brought a schoolclass from Switzerland with me to ER that day (some had even bought scarves and stuff before the game) I was eventually exposed to complete bewilderment by the students. The final straw was when one of them shyly but genuinly inquired "which league is it they're playing?" It still haunts me....

green.and.white
14-08-2013, 10:39 AM
If you've ever watched league 1 football, you'll agree with me when I say it is a way, way lower standard than the SPL. Championship really isn't much better, the English arrogance towards Scottish football is fuelled by Sky's marketing of English football, making it appear far better than it is to gain subscriptions. Sky are extremely good at this, therefore they believe all the 'high quality' crap that sky spout.

LancashireHibby
14-08-2013, 10:43 AM
If you've ever watched league 1 football, you'll agree with me when I say it is a way, way lower standard than the SPL. Championship really isn't much better, the English arrogance towards Scottish football is fuelled by Sky's marketing of English football, making it appear far better than it is to gain subscriptions. Sky are extremely good at this, therefore they believe all the 'high quality' crap that sky spout.
Got to disagree there. I watched the Bolton-Reading game on Saturday and the standard was on a different level to the derby.

SlickShoes
14-08-2013, 10:52 AM
I support Hibs, have done all my life and will as long as I am alive but unless someone is playing FC Hearts 2013 in a cup final in the future and I am rooting for them I will probably not watch another Scottish football match. I certainly wouldn't even dream of paying £25 to go to a game featuring the likes of St Mirren vs Ross County.

I think Scottish football is truly dire, I can go down to the sports complex/public park and watch a reasonably entertaining game of hoofball rather than paying £25 for the privilege.

What I am saying is if I didn't support Hibs or they didn't exist I wouldn't watch much Scottish football, maybe follow the national team a bit or someone local casually but there is a lot of great football on TV and you have to put minimum effort in to seek it out.

green.and.white
14-08-2013, 10:57 AM
Got to disagree there. I watched the Bolton-Reading game on Saturday and the standard was on a different level to the derby.

Top 8 championship vs bottom half SPL is unfair, my main point was league 1 for example. English people I know say that SPL teams would settle around mid league 2, whereas that is just ridiculous. League 1 is a poor, poor league. I don't think the SPL gets enough credit tbh. A huge amount number of English players come up here on loan and don't hack it

LancashireHibby
14-08-2013, 11:00 AM
Top 8 championship vs bottom half SPL is unfair, my main point was league 1 for example. English people I know say that SPL teams would settle around mid league 2, whereas that is just ridiculous. League 1 is a poor, poor league. I don't think the SPL gets enough credit tbh. A huge amount number of English players come up here on loan and don't hack it
Maybe so, but I think the difference is that games in League One can be quite open games whereas so many SPL games seem to be absolute borefests.

Sylar
14-08-2013, 11:34 AM
I support Hibs, have done all my life and will as long as I am alive but unless someone is playing FC Hearts 2013 in a cup final in the future and I am rooting for them I will probably not watch another Scottish football match. I certainly wouldn't even dream of paying £25 to go to a game featuring the likes of St Mirren vs Ross County.

I think Scottish football is truly dire, I can go down to the sports complex/public park and watch a reasonably entertaining game of hoofball rather than paying £25 for the privilege.

What I am saying is if I didn't support Hibs or they didn't exist I wouldn't watch much Scottish football, maybe follow the national team a bit or someone local casually but there is a lot of great football on TV and you have to put minimum effort in to seek it out.

I did the "tour of the grounds" thing over the past few seasons and not once did I pay anywhere near £25 with the exception of Septic Park for the OF game 2 seasons ago.

The football might not always be brilliant but the experience of seeing other grounds, experiencing the different characters, seeing the other places, people and packages which entice everyone else in Scotland on a Saturday was a highly interesting experience and one I thoroughly enjoyed.

The football isn't always brilliant but £10 to watch a lower league Scottish game, or sit on my arse and watch overpaid prima donnas prance around perfectly manicured pitches with tens of thousands of supporters who wouldn't be there were it not for the money/success...a no brainer for me but that's personal preference.

LancashireHibby
14-08-2013, 11:45 AM
I did the "tour of the grounds" thing over the past few seasons and not once did I pay anywhere near £25 with the exception of Septic Park for the OF game 2 seasons ago.
You've done well there then as it's cost me £24 for my ticket for Saturday (£22 ticket, £1.50 booking fee and then split the £1 postage with my mate).

Pete
14-08-2013, 02:17 PM

The football might not always be brilliant but the experience of seeing other grounds, experiencing the different characters, seeing the other places, people and packages which entice everyone else in Scotland on a Saturday was a highly interesting experience and one I thoroughly enjoyed.

The football isn't always brilliant but £10 to watch a lower league Scottish game, or sit on my arse and watch overpaid prima donnas prance around perfectly manicured pitches with tens of thousands of supporters who wouldn't be there were it not for the money/success...a no brainer for me but that's personal preference.

I couldn't agree with you more. I'll be taking in lower league football when I'm not at Easter road and have trips to places like Falkirk, raith, cowdenbeath, Livingston and east fife in mind.
I went to a few dunfermline matches last season and I'm sure you'll agree that it's a nice experience to go to a match without really caring who wins. !You aren't caught up in it and you can take in the atmosphere and your surroundings properly.
Scottish football is dying because people are bored with their local "product". Maybe if they stopped salivating over foreign football they might beable to attend a decent game a few miles down the road.
I think what we have in Scotland is pretty unique and collectively we should use it as we're in danger of losing it.

Geo_1875
14-08-2013, 03:26 PM
English football is hyped beyond belief. I've been to many games all over Englandshire and the quality varies as much as it does in Scotland. A number of things that make it different are 1. The money pumped into the leagues by Sky and other sponsors which creates a haven for the "best" footballers who will travel down the leagues rather move to another country as they previously would 2. The number of teams in their divisions. Meaning their is a larger middle of the league where teams can play "fearless" football. They're not winning the league and they're not going down so can enjoy playing. 3. The crowds which turn out week in and week out are not all local season ticket holders. In London and Manchester many season tickets are bought as an investment. I know people who have season tickets for Man Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal who might go to 6 or 8 games a season and pass on their tickets to "tourists" for the rest of the games and easily cover their costs. And as long as Sky have wall to wall football it will never change.

Franck Stanton
14-08-2013, 05:30 PM
Snap. Although I have found myself thoroughly enjoying the Championship since Bolton got relegated, far more than in the Premier League.

The lack of quality in the SP(F)L should really be opening the games up a bit as you'd see in the lower leagues down here, but that really doesn't seem to be the case a lot of the time. The main thing we need to solve is how exactly players who are perfectly adept at other clubs come to Hibs and suddenly become bad players overnight.

I do quite like the "one horse race" arguments though when you actually present the stats of how closely matched the rest of the league has been, and even Celtic's winning margin not being too dissimilar to Man Utd the other year.

That, my friend is the 6 million dollar question and one I have asked myself on numerous occasions. Still haven't got the answer . :confused::confused::confused: