PDA

View Full Version : Yams Johnny Hamilton (the Hearts one)

CropleyWasGod
13-08-2013, 07:58 PM
... has passed away.

One for the oldies, of course. He's one of my earliest memories of Hearts, back in the day when it would be Tynie one week and ER the next.

Knew him to chat to in later years, when he used the gym at the Capital Hotel. Very fit guy for his age.

lapsedhibee
13-08-2013, 08:01 PM
... has passed away.

One for the oldies, of course. He's one of my earliest memories of Hearts, back in the day when it would be Tynie one week and ER the next.

Knew him to chat to in later years, when he used the gym at the Capital Hotel. Very fit guy for his age.

Yes, do remember him, from back in the day when it would be ER one week and ER the next to watch Hibs reserves. :tsk tsk:

CropleyWasGod
13-08-2013, 08:03 PM
Yes, do remember him, from back in the day when it would be ER one week and ER the next to watch Hibs reserves. :tsk tsk:

My Granda was paying. :greengrin

Edit....

My Granda was lifting me over.

Golden Bear
13-08-2013, 08:03 PM
Yes - remember the name. He was a cheeky wee winger was he not?

Condolensces to the Family.

Ricky Bobby
13-08-2013, 08:04 PM
condolences to the family

CropleyWasGod
13-08-2013, 08:05 PM
Yes - remember the name. He was a cheeky wee winger was he not?

Condolensces to the Family.

Yeah. Had a weird way of running IIRC.

Was in the same team as Cruikshank, Ford, Gordon :not worth and (I think) Willie Hamilton :not worth

andudare2
13-08-2013, 08:07 PM
R.i.p.

Dunderhall
13-08-2013, 08:07 PM
Bit too young for me to remember.
Almost 1 in 3 goal record for a winger even back then is impressive.

Condolences to friends and family.

Pretty Boy
13-08-2013, 08:09 PM
A right wee barsteward of a player was my Grandads memory of him.

Means he was good. RIP.

Hibercelona
13-08-2013, 08:10 PM
Rip

eastterrace
13-08-2013, 08:33 PM
yes he played in the same team as cruikie , holt and tommy trainer and willie wallace, he was a cracking we player as was most footballers back then, no like the mince we watch now.

Jim44
13-08-2013, 08:53 PM
Good player. I think he ran a newsagent's in Slateford Road when he retired.

Fife-Hibee
13-08-2013, 09:02 PM
R.i.p

Dashing Bob S
13-08-2013, 09:04 PM
R.I.P Johnny.

Scouse Hibee
13-08-2013, 09:13 PM

I had no idea who he was but when I first started visiting the missus in 1990 I used to speak to a newsagent called Johnny Hamilton on Slateford Road about Liverpool and how I had started watching the Hibs which he used to rib me about. It must have been the same guy!

Jonnyboy
13-08-2013, 09:30 PM

That's right aye. Used to get my paper there when I lived around the corner and I enjoyed many a chat with him. Hammy was Hearts through and through but always spoke highly of the Famous Five and Lawrie Reilly in particular.

RIP Hammy

Jonnyboy
13-08-2013, 09:31 PM
I had no idea who he was but when I first started visiting the missus in 1990 I used to speak to a newsagent called Johnny Hamilton on Slateford Road about Liverpool and how I had started watching the Hibs which he used to rib me about. It must have been the same guy!

That's him.

Dunderhall
13-08-2013, 09:39 PM

That's rung a bell.
Was it the shop on the corner opposite Robertson Ave. I used to go in there on the way home from primary from time to time. That would have been mid seventies.

Jonnyboy
13-08-2013, 09:44 PM
That's rung a bell.
Was it the shop on the corner opposite Robertson Ave. I used to go in there on the way home from primary from time to time. That would have been mid seventies.

:agree:

phoenixfire
13-08-2013, 09:45 PM
I seem to recall a game at tynecastle when he
beat a Scotland team it may have been an Edinburgh select
v Scottish league but I seem to mind he played a blinder
and his side won something like 3-1
R. I. P Hammy

MJU1875
13-08-2013, 09:57 PM
I am a friend of his son, Johnny was great man and I got to know him really well over the years. He was as competitive in our fourballs at Kingsknowe Golf Club for a 50p wager as he was playing for Hearts. A great guy and will be sorely missed.

The Harp
13-08-2013, 10:38 PM
Sorry to hear of Johnny Hamilton's passing. Saw him many times playing against Hibs - he seemed to save his best performances for the games against us.
Can remember hurrying back to the old school end terracing after one derby match at Tynie as my pal lost his house keys during one of our goal celebrations (yeah, it was a long time ago:wink:). The stewards let us back in and we were met with the sight of the whole Hearts team on their hands and knees on the pitch looking for one of JH's contact lenses.
Condolences to Johnny's family and friends.
RIP

snooky
13-08-2013, 10:47 PM
Another loss of a great player from my younger days. Sad news, indeed.

Miguel
14-08-2013, 10:25 PM
RIP and condolences to family.

heretoday
14-08-2013, 11:05 PM
He caused us a lot of bother in the 60s. In fact he was Hearts most effective player I reckon. We used to call him The Rat because he was small, dark and quick. No offence meant!

O'Rourke3
14-08-2013, 11:28 PM
Don't think I ever saw him playing for Hearts, but used to buy my paper from the shop. RIP and condolences to the family.

jdships
15-08-2013, 07:09 AM
Decent player and a lovely bloke to chat with who kept himself fit all his life
RIP

brog
15-08-2013, 10:45 AM
He was one of those players who his own team loved but the opposition hated, especially us of course!! He was fast, niggly, quick temper, not the most skilful but always gave 100% I seem to remember him having a confrontation with a Hibs player every derby. My most recent Hibs player comparison would be Ivan. A proper Hearts man when they were a proper team. Condolences to all.