PDA

View Full Version : Wotherspoon

Unseen work
12-08-2013, 08:48 PM
I know he was very frustrating and had many bad games. But how much do we need a player like him right now? I don't see why we would let him go without a replacement in line!

blackpoolhibs
12-08-2013, 08:49 PM
We had Harris, but he got injured. Good try though.

Jonnyboy
12-08-2013, 08:50 PM
Aw naw. Here we go

I agree with you but you better get your tin helmet out :wink:

Hibbyradge
12-08-2013, 08:50 PM
I'm in Wetherspoons right now.

Bishop's Finger £2.29.

How much do I need that?

hibbymick
12-08-2013, 08:52 PM
I know he was very frustrating and had many bad games. But how much do we need a player like him right now? I don't see why we would let him go without a replacement in line!

why would we want a player like him if he had many bad games and was very frustrating ?

Unseen work
12-08-2013, 08:52 PM
We had Harris, but he got injured. Good try though.

Good try??? I do think a Wotherspoon type player is missing and letting him go without a replacement was daft. Harris is a different type of player

West Upper
12-08-2013, 08:55 PM
Good try??? I do think a Wotherspoon type player is missing and letting him go without a replacement was daft. Harris is a different type of player

Ah the old selective memory syndrome of players that have left and are remembered as being far better than they actually were! Wotherspoon had his chances and never took them time and time again..................next.

Makaveli
12-08-2013, 08:55 PM
It's true that without Wotherspoon, and even Sproule, we're hopelessly short of options on the right. Not saying these are the standard of players we need, but they are the positions.

Done replaced Sproule (allegedly) then no one replaced Done. No one has even pretended to replace Wotherspoon.

Our squad is almost comically unbalanced.

blackpoolhibs
12-08-2013, 08:56 PM

Harris is a wide player with pace, Wotherspoon is a wide player with no pace, so yes sorry you are correct, they are different types of players.

Onion
12-08-2013, 08:59 PM

We need a player like him, but not him. Spoony was going nowhere at Hibs and had to move on for his own sake. Its great to see him doing well elsewhere, and often players need to move to find their game. There's nothing wrong with that. It is not Spoonys fault that Fenlon hasn't managed to find anything like a suitable replacement.

lugz
12-08-2013, 09:01 PM
why would we want a player like him if he had many bad games and was very frustrating ?

Haha this was my thoughts. Lets worry about a player we've lost who wasn't interested, slow & pretty much a hinderance to what was already a crap team.

Jonnyboy
12-08-2013, 09:06 PM
Haha this was my thoughts. Lets worry about a player we've lost who wasn't interested, slow & pretty much a hinderance to what was already a crap team.

Third top scorer and top in assists. Can we sign another hindrance please

lugz
12-08-2013, 09:17 PM
Third top scorer and top in assists. Can we sign another hindrance please

4 goals and 6 assists in 34 games, that just shows how truly awful we were last season.

He's another example of exactly what's been wrong with this club over the last few years if we accept and miss players with stats like that.

Jonnyboy
12-08-2013, 09:20 PM
4 goals and 6 assists in 34 games, that just shows how truly awful we were last season.

He's another example of exactly what's been wrong with this club over the last few years if we accept and miss players with stats like that.

Can't argue with the facts although I thought the figures were higher than that (where's Wotherspiniesta when you need him :greengrin). We need a wide midfield player who can create goals and score a few himself. We don't have one at the moment. Harris might be the answer as might Craig but only time will tell

Unseen work
12-08-2013, 09:24 PM
Ah the old selective memory syndrome of players that have left and are remembered as being far better than they actually were! Wotherspoon had his chances and never took them time and time again..................next.

Not selective memory at all, he frustrated me as much as the next guy but he could produce something out of nothin which we currently don't have. He is also a winger which would add balance to the side. I'm saying its frustrating watching him do well now as we all knew he had ability.

Hibercelona
12-08-2013, 09:26 PM
Is it possible that Wotherspoon is good enough for this level, but (like every other player) just doesn't do that well while at Hibs?

lugz
12-08-2013, 09:28 PM
Can't argue with the facts although I thought the figures were higher than that (where's Wotherspiniesta when you need him :greengrin). We need a wide midfield player who can create goals and score a few himself. We don't have one at the moment. Harris might be the answer as might Craig but only time will tell

I totally agree with you that we need someone like that & I think Craig will produce for us.

Players like Craig and Robertson will get goals and assists IF they are used correctly.

Danderhall Hibs
12-08-2013, 09:39 PM
Think he was on the bench yesterday - maybe St Johnstone will be looking to offload him in January.

Wotherspiniesta
12-08-2013, 09:50 PM

5 goals :greengrin

Not going to surprise anyone with this, but I reckon we will miss him. Wether that be from the bench or what, but he was a creative midfielder. We currently have nothing to link the midfield to the front line.

lugz
12-08-2013, 09:52 PM

Not going to surprise anyone with this, but I reckon we will miss him. Wether that be from the bench or what, but he was a creative midfielder. We currently have nothing to link the midfield to the front line.

Dam it your onto me, I was using league goals to try strengthen my point haha! As stated before I think we do have players who can do that but they're used horribly in the current set up.

blackpoolhibs
12-08-2013, 09:53 PM

Aye because Wotherspoon did that all the time? FFS we had a player who was average at best contributing next to nothing season after season, but because his replacement has done similar we will suddenly miss David's creativity and link play?:confused:

Jonnyboy
12-08-2013, 09:55 PM
Aye because Wotherspoon did that all the time? FFS we had a player who was average at best contributing next to nothing season after season, but because his replacement has done similar we will suddenly miss David's creativity and link play?:confused:

Well at least there's continuity G. We've replaced a midfielder who contributed 'next to nothing' with one that looks as though he'll contribute next to nothing :greengrin

Wotherspiniesta
12-08-2013, 09:55 PM
Dam it your onto me, I was using league goals to try strengthen my point haha! As stated before I think we do have players who can do that but they're used horribly in the current set up.

How could you possibly forget this!

http://i.eurosport.com/2012/12/02/919315-15267681-640-360.jpg

:greengrin

Wotherspiniesta
12-08-2013, 09:59 PM

5 goals and 6 assists suggests that he linked pretty well considering he never started every week.

The Voice Of Reason
12-08-2013, 10:03 PM
I agree with Blackpool Hibs 100%.

Wotherspoon was very poor for us in the vast majority of games that he played. I think that he will be found out at St Johnstone, given time.

I don't wish him any ill ( except when he is playing against us!) I just don't think he is good enough to be an SPL player.

Time will tell I guess :agree:

blackpoolhibs
12-08-2013, 10:10 PM
Well at least there's continuity G. We've replaced a midfielder who contributed 'next to nothing' with one that looks as though he'll contribute next to nothing :greengrin

Not really John, Harris is his direct replacement as thats where he's played all of his time in the under 19s, and he looks a much better prospect than Wotherspoon. Now this is where i'm going to stick up for Fenlon, Harris has unfortunately been injured and nobody could predict that.

Players stagnate all the time, and who really wanted Wotherspoon in the team? We all wanted better, and with the window still open still might get someone?

As with your boy Stevenson :wink:, we need much better than both if we are to progress and get better, but while they are at the club they can sometimes contribute well.

We saw with Harris he'd overtaken Spoony and that would be the reason we did not fight that hard to keep him imo, but to suddenly think he was better than what he really was is delusion in my opinion.

He tried and did ok but ultimately was not good enough, he was good enough to keep us where we were or are, but thats clearly not good enough again in my opinion. :greengrin

Jonnyboy
12-08-2013, 10:19 PM
Not really John, Harris is his direct replacement as thats where he's played all of his time in the under 19s, and he looks a much better prospect than Wotherspoon. Now this is where i'm going to stick up for Fenlon, Harris has unfortunately been injured and nobody could predict that.

Players stagnate all the time, and who really wanted Wotherspoon in the team? We all wanted better, and with the window still open still might get someone?

As with your boy Stevenson :wink:, we need much better than both if we are to progress and get better, but while they are at the club they can sometimes contribute well.

We saw with Harris he'd overtaken Spoony and that would be the reason we did not fight that hard to keep him imo, but to suddenly think he was better than what he really was is delusion in my opinion.

He tried and did ok but ultimately was not good enough, he was good enough to keep us where we were or are, but thats clearly not good enough again in my opinion. :greengrin

I know what you're saying but my point is that he did contribute despite the fact that many on here would argue he didn't. Take Leigh's goals out of the equation last season and there's not a lot left. Of what there is left however, Spoony made a sizable contribution. Folk should at least grant him that, whatever their view of him as a player.

As to my boy Stevenson :greengrin I absolutely agree we need better but as I've said before, until we get better I'll continue to speak up for him because he gives all he's got which is more than a few of his team mates can say :agree:

Scouse Hibee
12-08-2013, 10:43 PM

:agree: More loss of memory than selective, Wotherspoon was pish more often than not but now he's gone we miss him! I cant wait until Stevenson moves on so we can hear how good he actually was.

Gus Fring
12-08-2013, 11:01 PM
Think he was on the bench yesterday - maybe St Johnstone will be looking to offload him in January.

Spoony was on the bench as he's missed some training this week due to the birth of his child.

Shields Hibee
12-08-2013, 11:05 PM
Wotherspoon was consistent at being inconsistent :wink: He may have now again done a touch of 'wasn't expecting that from Spoony' & got a few goals but mostly it was frustrating watching him.

500miles
12-08-2013, 11:09 PM
I think Wotherspoon will do well at St J's. More comfortable at home in Perth, playing for the team he supports. He was stagnating at Hibs - was a target of the boo boys, and wasn't strong enough to get over the hump.

MacBean
12-08-2013, 11:09 PM
Couldn't believe we let him go, yes he frustrated but would get us up the park and actually looked to take a player on, something absolutely nobody in the team does now.

J-C
12-08-2013, 11:17 PM
Again is this not a case of good old Hibs making players play in the wrong position. IIRC Wotherspoon himself stated he preferred playing through the middle and indeed did he not play there when on Scotland U21 duty, we on the other hand attempted to make him into a RB and latterly a RW (even though he had no pace)
He then becomes inconsistent due to all this, goes to another club where they play him in his preferred position and suddenly plays pretty well, that's all I'm saying.

woodyhfc4892
12-08-2013, 11:17 PM
I don't understand why people always bring up ex players saying we'll miss them etc! They weren't good enough at hibs and it's as simple as that. If they go on to be good at other teams then so be it but they never took their chance here, move on..

neil7908
13-08-2013, 12:06 AM
I felt Spoony was worth a 1 year contract, if we had brought other wide players into the squad to replace him then fine but we got rid of him and Done from the pool last year and have ended up with 1 wide player - guess what happens to him first game of the season?

If the stats above are correct (5 goals and 6 assists in 34 games) that really isn't too bad considering he didn't start that may times for us (I wonder how many of those appearances were off the bench).We have a history at Hibs of deeming players 'not good enough' only to see them flourish in teams that finish above us (Sproule and Rankin come to mind).

I think we need to seriously consider in our next managers recruitment drive if the players arriving are better than what we currently have. Lots of folk are desperate to see us bring in McCourt, despite many seeming to believe he is unfit, inconsistent, doesn't work hard enough for the team etc - yet we are happy to see the back of Spoony for the same issues???

The Leith Dutch
13-08-2013, 08:31 AM
As we're talking about both Wotherspoon and Craig here's my worry:

Hibs seem to have a knack for getting the worst out of players.

I see us have players that we (rightly) move on because they're not offering us much and those same players go to another club and look 10 times better.

Then I see us bring in players who are great at other clubs and they seem to go backwards.

I really hope that doesn't happen with Liam Craig who looks like a good consistent performer based on his stats.

ian cruise
13-08-2013, 09:14 AM
As we're talking about both Wotherspoon and Craig here's my worry:

Hibs seem to have a knack for getting the worst out of players.

I see us have players that we (rightly) move on because they're not offering us much and those same players go to another club and look 10 times better.

Then I see us bring in players who are great at other clubs and they seem to go backwards.

I really hope that doesn't happen with Liam Craig who looks like a good consistent performer based on his stats.

Agree and same with Vine. Why can't Hibs get players to perform the way they do for other clubs? They come with decent reputations and we are all rightly excited when they sign and somehow these types of signings never replicate the firm that interested us in the first place.

I'm not writing vine or craig off btw, I just worry they will join the growing list of players that this had happened to

Speedway
13-08-2013, 10:11 AM

His shot was going wide, the yam deflection scored for us and as you can see, the fans fairly packed the ground to witness it.

Couldn't believe we let him go, yes he frustrated but would get us up the park and actually looked to take a player on, something absolutely nobody in the team does now.

We didn't let him go, he turned down our contract offer.

I can't believe how many people say nothing when a player is being slated on here but when he looks like he can put his boots on the right feet for some other club, we hear from everyone who always said we should never have let the player go.

Again is this not a case of good old Hibs making players play in the wrong position. IIRC Wotherspoon himself stated he preferred playing through the middle and indeed did he not play there when on Scotland U21 duty, we on the other hand attempted to make him into a RB and latterly a RW (even though he had no pace)
He then becomes inconsistent due to all this, goes to another club where they play him in his preferred position and suddenly plays pretty well, that's all I'm saying.

It's managerial genius we can only dream of. Play Craig centrally, Vine left sided just like they were for the team they played for who qualified for Europe based on league placing. That's cutting edge stuff. Quick, someone email the board.

The Sea-gull
13-08-2013, 11:09 AM
This was always going to come up at some point if we were doing bad and he was playing well.

We could have done with a player like David Wotherspoon a few times in recent seasons. David Wotherspoon was not a player like David Wotherspoon often enough and that was his/our problem.

Getting rid of Wotherspoon is one of the few correct calls Fenlon has made. The guy had countless chances to become a first team player at Hibs and never took them. I thought he had cracked it first half of last season when he was outstanding at right midfield but his form disintegrated in the second half of the season.

We don't need players who can have a good half season here and there. The only way we were keeping DW was if he was willing to stay as a squad player, not what he wanted at this stage in his career. He needed a fresh start.

I have no doubts he will go and do well at Saints. He will probably even score against us in a winning Saints team at some point. I don't think he would have played a part for us this season, not under Fenlon anyway. Fenlon isn't the first manager who has failed to get the best out of him though.

mikethehibee69
13-08-2013, 11:17 AM

Yeah apologies for the Gangnam style celebration, I was drunk and tweeted him and Sparky and they agreed to it🙊

Stevie Reid
13-08-2013, 03:50 PM
I wanted Spoony to stay, but there's no way that he was worth an improved contract.

However, there's no escaping the fact that all the players who were most prominent in our good performances last year, are now no longer with us or injured (Griffiths, Doyle, Wotherspoon, Cairney, Claros, Harris), and we are well short of quality in the creativity department, and can't score goals.

theonlywayisup
13-08-2013, 07:49 PM
Frustrating player, mixing some great play with the poor. However, I would argue that at his best, he is a more creative player than almost all of our midfield players (apart from Harris).

I wish he was still here. Good luck to him.

Ricky Bobby
13-08-2013, 08:03 PM
Admittedly Spoony was frustrating at times, in my opinion a real confidence player. Once he had beaten a player he seemed to do really well in games. On the flip side if he got no joy early on, would disapear. All that said i thought he was at least as good as Stevenson at full back and gave us far more options going forward, as much as Louis is a trier, i am puzzled that Spoony was shipped and Louis given a new deal.

TheFamous1875
13-08-2013, 09:27 PM
I think the really worrying factor for Hibs is that statistically a player like Wotherspoon with his mostly hidden ability, large periods not even making the bench and lack of fitness or work ethic was without question one of our most creative and important players last season. That's the worrying part.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Speedy
13-08-2013, 10:06 PM
I think Wotherspoon will do well at St J's. More comfortable at home in Perth, playing for the team he supports. He was stagnating at Hibs - was a target of the boo boys, and wasn't strong enough to get over the hump.

Agreed.

TheFamous1875
13-08-2013, 10:14 PM
Agreed.

Seconded. Hope he does really well and doesn't sign for the Kerplunks! (Hartley)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

macd123
14-08-2013, 01:52 AM
A creative, homegrown player who was never played centre mid. He is one player who wasn't at fault for the cup final or malmo defeats because he wasn't in the team. We could do with him back now that's for sure.

ColintonHibs
14-08-2013, 08:25 AM
Wotherspoon is ****

Callum_62
14-08-2013, 08:32 AM
Ive seen Hibs play him centrally a few times and he was also anonymous then too

he might do OK at Saints...wasnt cutting it at Hibs for me though

The Voice Of Reason
14-08-2013, 12:02 PM

Disagree. Lets wait and see how he gets on............

I laugh at the "target of the boo boys" nonsense, I really do. The fans were very supportive of him despite his mostly rubbish performances!

As I say, let's wait and see how he does at St J.

Pedantic_Hibee
14-08-2013, 12:05 PM
It was only a matter of time before the delusional sepia-tinged glasses were welded on.

He didnt cut it at Hibs, in a number of positions, under a number of managers.

If he is the answer, I don't even want to know the question.

The Voice Of Reason
14-08-2013, 12:33 PM
It was only a matter of time before the delusional sepia-tinged glasses were welded on.

He didnt cut it at Hibs, in a number of positions, under a number of managers.

If he is the answer, I don't even want to know the question.

You have summed it up perfectly PH !

Borderhibbie76
14-08-2013, 08:05 PM
Dont know where the boo boys target stuff is coming from?? Dont ever recall spoony being booed...nonsense!! Fwiw, i was at killie match at end of last season (replayed match) and on what was a good team performance that night (remember them) spoony was rank rotten and looked like he,wanted away!! Good luck to him at,st j, except against us!!

lapsedhibee
14-08-2013, 08:28 PM
We all said, didn't we, when he was here, that the Dobbmeister was pish? And now he's back in the EPL (with Palace)!

davieh
15-08-2013, 10:17 PM
Well, I doubt this thread will add more insight than any of the other Spoony threads before....but I think his qualities are greatly more appreciated outside of Hibs support than within in. As others have said, he scored quite a few goals (mostly crackers) and had loads of assists. Yes, he wasn't consistent, but that's what you get from players who "try to make something happen"...

I don't believe we would have lost to Hearts if he had been in the squad...and think he could even play for Scotland at some point (titter ye not....more chance certainly than Liam Craig any how).

Stevie Reid
16-08-2013, 09:17 AM
We all said, didn't we, when he was here, that the Dobbmeister was pish? And now he's back in the EPL (with Palace)!

I certainly didn't think Dobbie was pish, and I know many others who felt the same. However, it has been well documented that he had to fall very far in the game (on loan at Dumbarton) before he finally sorted out his fitness and attitude and realised his potential.

This wasn't going to happen at Hibs, much like Mixu wouldn't have become the kind of manager that had Killie playing the lovely football they did under him, without first being sacked by us.

BH Hibs
16-08-2013, 09:52 AM
I wanted him to stay but can understand others who were happy enough to see him go. But the real crime here PF knew he we going for ages and we still dont have a replacement for him. Even if Harris was fit it would be a huge ask to expect him to be the only wide player at the club.

mutley
17-08-2013, 04:57 PM
I see he scored for st j today too

Hibercelona
17-08-2013, 05:01 PM
I see he scored for st j today too

Also missed a pen. But at least won it by winning the ball off the opposition player and darting into the box with it.

When did he ever do that for us?

patlowe
17-08-2013, 07:17 PM
Interesting post match comments from the SJ manager today. He said Wotherspoon wasn't wanted at hibs and is now at a place where he can play with freedom.

I await the 'he's gone, move on' and 'he was **** for hibs' comments but to me it's another sign that hibs is not a place for technical players right now.

LioNeilMessi
17-08-2013, 07:32 PM
Also missed a pen. But at least won it by winning the ball off the opposition player and darting into the box with it.

Cosgrove et al were having a right chuckle at Hibs letting him go for nothing today. I like Spoony but there was no reason to keep him here at the end of his contract. A talented player and had some flashes of excellence but 80% of his playing time he made little or no contribution.

Hopefully he'll have an off day against us.

mutley
17-08-2013, 08:22 PM

Another case of a player leaving hibs and flourishing elsewhere

Dashing Bob S
17-08-2013, 11:01 PM
Isn't it amazing what happens to a player when you play him in natural position, and don't even contemplate putting him anywhere else? His confidence flourishes and he makes a regularly impressive contribution to his team.

This is something that the clowns we continually employ as our managers repeatedly fail to grasp.

Jones28
17-08-2013, 11:05 PM
Isn't it amazing what happens to a player when you play him in natural position, and don't even contemplate putting him anywhere else? His confidence flourishes and he makes a regularly impressive contribution to his team.

This is something that the clowns we continually employ as our managers repeatedly fail to grasp.

This, this and this again

J-C
18-08-2013, 11:19 AM

They even tried to make him a RB at one point, a f3ckin RB :grr:

blackpoolhibs
18-08-2013, 11:24 AM
They even tried to make him a RB at one point, a f3ckin RB :grr:

And when right back he was part of a defense that was up there as the best in Britain. And in my opinion the best form he showed in his entire career at Hibs.

NORTHERNHIBBY
18-08-2013, 12:47 PM
Thing is that letting players go, that take off at other clubs is hardly a Hibs thing though is it? It's like when folk think that coincidences are miracles. Compare them against the number of times it doesn't happen and it is not much of an issue.

Danderhall Hibs
18-08-2013, 01:05 PM
I await the 'he's gone, move on' and 'he was **** for hibs' comments but to me it's another sign that hibs is not a place for technical players right now.

Or inconsistent ones.

MrRobot
18-08-2013, 01:19 PM
Is it going to be a case of starting a "we should never have got rid of..." Each time an ex player scores a goal?

lugz
18-08-2013, 01:27 PM
Is it going to be a case of starting a "we should never have got rid of..." Each time an ex player scores a goal?

Of course, don't you know that's how it works. This thread will be dragged up every time he scores this season.

I've said it before (easier to say now) but I think Robertson will get us more goals for midfield than spoony has in the past.

eastterrace
18-08-2013, 02:26 PM
And when right back he was part of a defense that was up there as the best in Britain. And in my opinion the best form he showed in his entire career at Hibs.

sorry dont agree mate , playing right back knocked the confidence out of him, he would win the ball and lump it upfield as whenhe played in the under 19 he would play midfield and try and pass the ball he is a midfielder not a full back.

blackpoolhibs
18-08-2013, 02:55 PM
sorry dont agree mate , playing right back knocked the confidence out of him, he would win the ball and lump it upfield as whenhe played in the under 19 he would play midfield and try and pass the ball he is a midfielder not a full back.

Its ok to disagree, but we do disagree. I think that period up until the February, Wotherspoon played his most consistent football for us.

If he had his confidence knocked, it won't have been for playing regular football in his first season as a first team player, it might have been because he was dropped?

Phil MaGlass
19-08-2013, 09:41 AM
Some folk think he has found his level at StJ, and to be honest I agree, he has, and it seems to be of a higher level than Hibs, I always thought he was a good player and I´m glad that since he has been let go and it now seems to be the case. Good luck tae the guy, he will be back to rip us a new one in the near future.

HUTCHYHIBBY
19-08-2013, 09:48 AM

Vaz Te's goals usually initiate a re-writing of his time at Hibs, its actually that daft its funny!

LioNeilMessi
19-08-2013, 09:52 AM
Cracking goal :agree:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=zLInVtEBVgE

Fergus52
19-08-2013, 01:03 PM

They are playing him out wide are they not?

That's where he played for us :rolleyes:

J-C
19-08-2013, 01:40 PM
They are playing him out wide are they not?

That's where he played for us :rolleyes:

Not from what I've heard on Sportsound, he's seemingly being played through the middle just off the striker.

macd123
20-08-2013, 02:33 AM
This isn't rewriting history, it's pretty obvious to a lot of people. Including a fair few supporters, scotland u21 manager and the St Johnstone manager. He is a better player than any of our current midfielders that's for sure. You try playing kevin thomson on the wing and see how he gets on. Or cairney at right back.

So get used to people asking why on earth we didn't keep spoony. He will be fantastic for st Johnstone this year. He would have been for us too if we had been bothered to back him.

Fergus52
20-08-2013, 03:23 AM
Not from what I've heard on Sportsound, he's seemingly being played through the middle just off the striker.

If that's true the I stand corrected.

I had a look at their last couple of line ups and assumed he was being played outwide when I saw the other players starting.

brydekirk
20-08-2013, 07:42 AM
He's just won the STV player of the week in the Power Rankings.

jdships
20-08-2013, 08:09 AM

:thumbsup:
Remember when Arthur Duncan was moved back from No11 to No 3 punters threw their hands up in horror :rolleyes:
He went on to be a STAR left back for years !!

"Spoony" had plenty of chances to impress , under different mangers , and sorry to say didn't take them !!

Tyler Durden
20-08-2013, 08:09 AM
In Fenlons first 3/4 games Wotherspoon played central midfield. Last season he played behind the striker in the first game of the season at Tannadice and again away at Pittodrie (behind Kuqi no less!) in a 2-1 defeat.

He was given chances to play centrally and he was very poor, very few shots at goal, very little in the way of creating chances for others. He was given a chance centrally - he contributed next to nothing, get over it.

The Sea-gull
20-08-2013, 08:16 AM
Are we revisiting this thread every time he plays well? I'm just as bad for posting on it again though!

He had his chance over several seasons in several positions and just never did it often enough. He got a sustained run on the right and was brilliant first half of last season but faded badly. No doubting he is a top player on his day but it wasn't happening for him at Hibs. He seems a confidence player and I don't think we are the club for players like that.

Maybe we didn't try him centre mid often enough but he did play a few games there and never really did anything.

Why would he have stayed at Hibs? Heard we offered him reduced terms and was basically told he would be a squad player. On his performances for Hibs over the seasons I think that was about right.

Sometimes players need a change of club to find their best ala Wotherspoon and John Rankin. It happens. We do need to get better at signing players from other SPL teams and getting them playing better for us though.

Just be thankful Wotherspon wasn't able to go to Hearts as if it wasn't for the transfer embargo there is a good chance he would be starring for them now!

There is a good, good chance Wotherspoon will star and/or score in a Saints win against us at some point - possibly even as soon as September 14th at McDiarmid - if this happens, remember it is highly unlikely he would have been playing the same way for us. That's football.

Speedway
20-08-2013, 09:25 AM
When Sproule scored 5 in 5 for the Adams Family, straight after leaving us, we had the same conversation.

How is he doing now?

J-C
20-08-2013, 09:32 AM
When Sproule scored 5 in 5 for the Adams Family, straight after leaving us, we had the same conversation.

How is he doing now?

Like Sproule, Spoony may just be having his wee honeymoon period at St Johnstone, remember he always starts the season all guns a blazing, then quickly vanishes without a trace for the rest of it.

bigwheel
20-08-2013, 11:00 AM
Like Sproule, Spoony may just be having his wee honeymoon period at St Johnstone, remember he always starts the season all guns a blazing, then quickly vanishes without a trace for the rest of it.

....unlike Sproule he is technically very good, and will develop more as a player..

The Sea-gull
20-08-2013, 11:20 AM
....unlike Sproule he is technically very good, and will develop more as a player..

:agree: DW is a far better player than Sproule ever was both technically and physically but Ivan had something that Wotherspoon doesn't yet have - self belief and the determination to succeed when things aren't going well. The kind of belief that takes a fairly average and limited player from part time in the Northern Irish league to full international football and the English Championship within 2.5 years. Then goes on to spend 3/4 playing in championship.

DW has the tools to go further than that and have a better career than Ivan. Lets see if he uses them. He wasn't at Hibs and neither he nor we were getting anywhere with him.

Spoony might actually be playing like that for us right now but would it have lasted a season? Enough evidence suggest it wouldn't and we would go through the same thing again with him; loss of form and him being in and out the team, the odd moment here and there but weeks of unproductive and unconfident displays.

What frustartes me about DW is that perhaps with the right manager in the right team he could be sensational. He just didn't get the right manager or the right team whilke he was at ER.

He would probably not have progressed if he stayed this season and Fenlon was still here. Will be quite frustrating if Fenlon does go and we get a manager who would be able to get the best out of DW. Ah well, he only signed atwo year deal with Saints so we can sign himon a pre contract in Jan 2015.

bigwheel
20-08-2013, 11:23 AM
:agree: DW is a far better player than Sproule ever was both technically and physically but Ivan had something that Wotherspoon doesn't yet have - self belief and the determination to succeed when things aren't going well. The kind of belief that takes a fairly average and limited player from part time in the Northern Irish league to full international football and the English Championship within 2.5 years. Then goes on to spend 3/4 playing in championship.

DW has the tools to go further than that and have a better career than Ivan. Lets see if he uses them. He wasn't at Hibs and neither he nor we were getting anywhere with him.

Spoony might actually be playing like that for us right now but would it have lasted a season? Enough evidence suggest it wouldn't and we would go through the same thing again with him; loss of form and him being in and out the team, the odd moment here and there but weeks of unproductive and unconfident displays.

What frustartes me about DW is that perhaps with the right manager in the right team he could be sensational. He just didn't get the right manager or the right team whilke he was at ER.

He would probably not have progressed if he stayed this season and Fenlon was still here. Will be quite frustrating if Fenlon does go and we get a manager who would be able to get the best out of DW. Ah well, he only signed atwo year deal with Saints so we can sign himon a pre contract in Jan 2015.

Fair set of points...agree with this...I do think Spoony will mature though and get more consistent. Other teams will now get the best of him..

patlowe
20-08-2013, 01:21 PM
Or inconsistent ones.

I suppose you're right in the sense that Hibs are currently awash with consistently dull and uninspiring players.

Wotherspoon was inconsistent, there's no doubt, but I am struggling to think of many Hibs players over the last few years that I would class as 'consistent'. In fact, many of the hugely talented players in recent years (I'm thinking Beuzelin, Zemmama, Shiels, Whittaker, Riordan, Benji - this list could go on and on) have been hugely frustrating in their inconsistency. I'm not saying Wotherspoon is as good as those players, although I'd suggest he will likely become so, but the managers then had faith in these guys and played them in a system which allowed technical players to flourish.

I was sad to see Wotherspoon go. Not because he was outstanding for Hibs - he clearly wasn't - but he offered fleeting excitement and the promise of a footballing style which the current team is either bereft of or restricted from playing.

silverhibee
20-08-2013, 01:35 PM
Its ok to disagree, but we do disagree. I think that period up until the February, Wotherspoon played his most consistent football for us.

If he had his confidence knocked, it won't have been for playing regular football in his first season as a first team player, it might have been because he was dropped?

:agree:

Rangers game at ibrox, was never the same player after that.

Fergus52
20-08-2013, 02:01 PM
Are we revisiting this thread every time he plays well? I'm just as bad for posting on it again though!

He had his chance over several seasons in several positions and just never did it often enough. He got a sustained run on the right and was brilliant first half of last season but faded badly. No doubting he is a top player on his day but it wasn't happening for him at Hibs. He seems a confidence player and I don't think we are the club for players like that.

Maybe we didn't try him centre mid often enough but he did play a few games there and never really did anything.

Why would he have stayed at Hibs? Heard we offered him reduced terms and was basically told he would be a squad player. On his performances for Hibs over the seasons I think that was about right.

Sometimes players need a change of club to find their best ala Wotherspoon and John Rankin. It happens. We do need to get better at signing players from other SPL teams and getting them playing better for us though.

Just be thankful Wotherspon wasn't able to go to Hearts as if it wasn't for the transfer embargo there is a good chance he would be starring for them now!

There is a good, good chance Wotherspoon will star and/or score in a Saints win against us at some point - possibly even as soon as September 14th at McDiarmid - if this happens, remember it is highly unlikely he would have been playing the same way for us. That's football.

good post :agree:

MacGruber
20-08-2013, 06:51 PM

I think you are right - the question though is why? Are all players resigned to being poorer simply for keeping our company.
Wotherspoon wasn't cutting it consistently at ER, undeniable. He was easily one of the technically better football players there, largely accepted.
I would rather than have got rid in the situation than to have the coaches/manager earn their corn and find the answers for a DW & Hibs fit.
We'll keep lesser players, we have done. Collectively we have little creativity and technical ability. Personally I think letting him go was a big mistake, just my opinion. I like good football players - we only have a select few.

Pedantic_Hibee
20-08-2013, 07:00 PM
Lads, cast your mind back 12 months. Spooky started the season in the same fashion for us and faded away pretty quickly. He's just not got it in him to deliver consistently, whether it be at Easter Road or McDiarmid Park.

If we want to progress properly, we will need to do so without the Spoonys, Sproules and err, Spinach.

MacGruber
20-08-2013, 07:08 PM
Lads, cast your mind back 12 months. Spooky started the season in the same fashion for us and faded away pretty quickly. He's just not got it in him to deliver consistently, whether it be at Easter Road or McDiarmid Park.

If we want to progress properly, we will need to do so without the Spoonys, Sproules and err, Spinach.

Respectfully disagree my good man, think he will be a go on to better things. Rather than conjecture though happy for the fullness of time to tell all, right or wrong.