PDA

View Full Version : Opening Statements From Hibs Managers Since 2004

Speedway
12-08-2013, 01:17 PM
Tony Mowbray:

"I am well aware, from my time in Scotland, of the stature of this club and its tradition for entertaining and attacking football," said Mowbray.

"I would like to let the supporters know that my philosophy is all about fast-flowing, passing football with a cutting edge.

"That is what I will be working to instil here at Hibernian, and that is what I am determined our supporters will see.

"They want to win, and they want to be entertained. It is our job to give them that."

John Collins:

"I am delighted to be taking up the managerial position at Hibernian and returning to the club where I started my football career.

"This is a club of tremendous stature with a great tradition for playing entertaining and attacking football."

"I would like to let the supporters know that my philosophy is all about playing a passing game with passion, enthusiasm and commitment," Collins said.

"Supporters want to win and they want to be entertained. It is our job to give them that."

Mixu:

"I am very happy to take up this opportunity." "Everyone knows of my great affection for this club.

"I believe my desire to see exciting, attacking and intelligent football fits well with the club's philosophy."

John Hughes:

"This is a very proud day for me. I am delighted to be the manager of Hibernian.

"Everyone knows what Hibernian means to me. I have so much respect for the club and its supporters that I would not have accepted the job if I did not think that I could make a real difference and be successful.

"It is important to me that the Board have identified that it is my managerial ability, and not my history as a Hibernian player, as the reason I have been appointed."

"My future now lies with Hibernian and I believe I will bring innovation and an attractive style of passing football to the club.
"I can't wait to start working with the players and get down to business at the training centre."

Colin Calderwood:

"I have enjoyed my time at Newcastle United immensely; it is a great club with a great support.

"However, I have always wanted to be a Manager again in my own right and I am therefore delighted to be given this opportunity at another huge club, Hibernian.

"This is a well run, stable club with a wonderful tradition and terrific facilities. I'm looking forward to working with the squad and can't wait to get started as we prepare for Saturday's game at Aberdeen."

Pat Fenlon:

“I’m really excited by the prospect of managing Hibs, a club with a rich history and proud tradition.

“The primary aim will be to win football matches for the fans who have gone through some tough times recently, but we will try and entertain too.”

No real football philosophy from our last two managers on arrival.

Should it be a pre-requisite of any Hibs Manager to nail their colours to the mast on the style of football they are going to insist on at the club?

Keith_M
12-08-2013, 01:24 PM

Should it be a pre-requisite of any Hibs Manager to nail their colours to the mast on the style of football they are going to insist on at the club?

That would be a question I would love to see raised with the club at the regular supporters meetings. What exactly IS Fenlon's philosophy on how football should be played?

However, can you imagine if he came out with this when he was appointed.

"I want to give the supporters my kind of football. I believe in turgid, no-nonsense defensive midfield battles, playing people out of position and hoofing the ball up to the strikers in blind panic."

Speedway
12-08-2013, 01:27 PM
That would be a question I would love to see raised with the club at the regular supporters meetings. What exactly IS Fenlon's philosophy on how football should be played?

However, can you imagine if he came out with this when he was appointed.

"I want to give the supporters my kind of football. I believe in turgid, no-nonsense defensive midfield battles, playing people out of position and hoofing the ball up to the strikers in blind panic."

At least expectations would have been managed correctly.

Keith_M
12-08-2013, 01:28 PM
At least expectations would have been managed correctly.

True :greengrin

Broken Gnome
12-08-2013, 01:34 PM
Quite a few of Fenlon's signings this summer also said they were impressed with how he sold a move to them.

Wondering what the hell he actually said to James Collins about what his new job would be like, and how much that philosophy differs to what's currently going on.

Hibstrooper
12-08-2013, 01:41 PM
Fenlon has been quoted a couple of times saying that sometimes people over complicate football and you just have to let players go out and play.

That's his philosophy, basically he's admitted to not employing tactics and just letting the players figure it out themselves. What we are seeing are the fruits of this approach.

Treadstone
12-08-2013, 02:21 PM

Same here. Twenty months in and I have no idea on the pattern of play he runs with or what he looks for his teams to do/be.

Unless of course the football of 2013 is his choice to be rancid, ugly and devoid of innovation, in which case he has succeeded.

SaulGoodman
12-08-2013, 02:37 PM
CC started this trend.

Ever other manger before has stated how they're delighted to manage us.

Except CC, who was too busy sticking his head up Newcastles arse. Didn't want to be here from the start, fud.

TowerHibs
12-08-2013, 03:10 PM
Hopefully not blowing smoke up my own erse here....but i was a v good youth player...signed with hibs and then moved to another spl club. I can pass the ball, with both feet, i can run/tackle/head the ball.

Wheb i signed with the spl clubs it wasnt to be technically better. It was how to play pro football mentally. Tactics, movement, shape, where my teammates were.

Noone can say we do not have good players at the club. Butwithout a plan, a knowledge where ur buddy is going to be, without knowing what a style is, your going to look amatuerish. Thats what hibs is currently is....amatuerish. non league......pat fenlon

Boyle89
12-08-2013, 03:16 PM
Hopefully not blowing smoke up my own erse here....but i was a v good youth player...signed with hibs and then moved to another spl club. I can pass the ball, with both feet, i can run/tackle/head the ball.

Wheb i signed with the spl clubs it wasnt to be technically better. It was how to play pro football mentally. Tactics, movement, shape, where my teammates were.

Noone can say we do not have good players at the club. Butwithout a plan, a knowledge where ur buddy is going to be, without knowing what a style is, your going to look amatuerish. Thats what hibs is currently is....amatuerish. non league......pat fenlon
We really do look like a team of guys having a kick about. When we got the ball down and played it we cut hearts open and created the two best chances of the game. Can't fenlon see this?!!!

Iceman1875
12-08-2013, 03:16 PM

Who are you?

IWasThere2016
12-08-2013, 03:29 PM
We really do look like a team of guys having a kick about. When we got the ball down and played it we cut hearts open and created the two best chances of the game. Can't fenlon see this?!!!

Yup - we are 11 guys put out in a shape with a game of 'don't lose' .. absolute keech! Fenlon out!

Stevie Reid
12-08-2013, 03:33 PM
Was actually going to comment about this on one of the many other threads. IIRC, when CC came in, the last thing people on here wanted to hear again from an incoming Hibs manager was about 'attractive passing football' as in the latter part of both Mixu and Yogi's tenures we were so far away from it, it was unreal.

There was practically nothing to cheer under Caldwerwood bar that 3-0 win at Ibrox, and the enjoyable performances at ER under Fenlon that were a feature of the first four months of last season are clearly never going to return now.

Under Mowbray we were breathtaking going forward at times but very soft centred. We had times of good defensive records under Mixu and Yogi and times of good attacking performances, but we ended up being painful to watch under both - Mixu's teams were stodgy and never that easily beaten but the football was eye bleeding stuff, whereas latterly under Hughes we always carried a goal threat but were unbelievably vulnerable at the back, and conceded a barrow load.

Under Calderwood we were awful going forward, unbelievably vulnerable to all types of attacks, and utterly dreadful to watch - we are now pretty much back there under Fenlon. IMO the only manager in recent times who had the best combination of playing good football and being resolute was under JC - in his time here we won the League Cup with a stunning 5-1 win over Killie, got us to a SC semi and had notable wins over Celtic, Rangers and Hearts. Our home record under him was P 26 W 14 D 8 L 4 and his overall win percentage was 43% (30% loss ratio) out of 54 games, and yet many people still don't rate him as a good Hibs manager.

I don't wish to re-open the JC debate, just pointing out that when someone with his stats as a Hibs manager is still derided by many, you can see how difficult it will be for anyone coming in.

Geebsy1875
12-08-2013, 03:40 PM
:agree: Exactly, Stevie!

Onion
12-08-2013, 03:43 PM
All I want to hear is Fenlon's closing statement. Anyone seen a copy yet ?

Keith_M
12-08-2013, 05:54 PM

Are you looking for a job in management?

:greengrin

theonlywayisup
12-08-2013, 07:34 PM
Tony Mowbray:

"I am well aware, from my time in Scotland, of the stature of this club and its tradition for entertaining and attacking football," said Mowbray.

"I would like to let the supporters know that my philosophy is all about fast-flowing, passing football with a cutting edge.

"That is what I will be working to instil here at Hibernian, and that is what I am determined our supporters will see.

"They want to win, and they want to be entertained. It is our job to give them that."

John Collins:

"I am delighted to be taking up the managerial position at Hibernian and returning to the club where I started my football career.

"This is a club of tremendous stature with a great tradition for playing entertaining and attacking football."

"I would like to let the supporters know that my philosophy is all about playing a passing game with passion, enthusiasm and commitment," Collins said.

"Supporters want to win and they want to be entertained. It is our job to give them that."

Mixu:

"I am very happy to take up this opportunity." "Everyone knows of my great affection for this club.

"I believe my desire to see exciting, attacking and intelligent football fits well with the club's philosophy."

John Hughes:

"This is a very proud day for me. I am delighted to be the manager of Hibernian.

"Everyone knows what Hibernian means to me. I have so much respect for the club and its supporters that I would not have accepted the job if I did not think that I could make a real difference and be successful.

"It is important to me that the Board have identified that it is my managerial ability, and not my history as a Hibernian player, as the reason I have been appointed."

"My future now lies with Hibernian and I believe I will bring innovation and an attractive style of passing football to the club.
"I can't wait to start working with the players and get down to business at the training centre."

Colin Calderwood:

"I have enjoyed my time at Newcastle United immensely; it is a great club with a great support.

"However, I have always wanted to be a Manager again in my own right and I am therefore delighted to be given this opportunity at another huge club, Hibernian.

"This is a well run, stable club with a wonderful tradition and terrific facilities. I'm looking forward to working with the squad and can't wait to get started as we prepare for Saturday's game at Aberdeen."

Pat Fenlon:

“I’m really excited by the prospect of managing Hibs, a club with a rich history and proud tradition.

“The primary aim will be to win football matches for the fans who have gone through some tough times recently, but we will try and entertain too.”

Something we say a lot before, during and after Hibs games over the last few years is how would you describe Hibs tactics. Ever since Collins left it seems to be "pass the ball around midfield, then if still in possession, pass it back to the defence, who launch it forward - result, usually possession lost". Yes there have been occasions of football played, but not often since Collins left.