PDA

View Full Version : Pat Stanton the Player

TheFamous1875
12-08-2013, 11:03 AM
Hopefully this can be regarded as a positive thread to counter all the horribleness which surrounds us Hibees just now.

As is the case with a few of us on this site, I'm not nearly old enough to have been around in Pat Stanton's time, to see any of those great players play and from what I've been told and what I've read, the man was a god. I was just a bit too young to really appreciate Sauzee, but the footage on YouTube of him shows him to be otherworldly, and godlike. Above all. Reinstating what I suspected as a young boy.
From what I can tell, Stanton is held even higher than him(!) so he must've been something I can't remotely comprehend.

So aye, just for a wee change in tone, how about those with the privilege enlighten us who don't, and tell us all about Pat Stanton.. We need something good going on this site!

IWasThere2016
12-08-2013, 11:14 AM
He had a touch, an engine, he glided on the park. He bled green. We won't see the like again - always has been and will be our best IMHO.

Watch this - he was immense - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSaY75jHC-4

superfurryhibby
12-08-2013, 11:25 AM
Hopefully this can be regarded as a positive thread to counter all the horribleness which surrounds us Hibees just now.

As is the case with a few of us on this site, I'm not nearly old enough to have been around in Pat Stanton's time, to see any of those great players play and from what I've been told and what I've read, the man was a god. I was just a bit too young to really appreciate Sauzee, but the footage on YouTube of him shows him to be otherworldly, and godlike. Above all. Reinstating what I suspected as a young boy.
From what I can tell, Stanton is held even higher than him(!) so he must've been something I can't remotely comprehend.

So aye, just for a wee change in tone, how about those with the privilege enlighten us who don't, and tell us all about Pat Stanton.. We need something good going on this site!

Majestic player. I was thirteen when he went to Celtic and it felt like the world was ending!

Whilst he was a phenomenal midfielder for us during the 70's, what makes it even more remarkaable was that he was played out of position. Pat has said that he favoured playing in the centre of defence and that was where he was mostly capped for Scotland. Tommy Docherty famously said he was a better sweeper than Boobby Moore..

southsider
12-08-2013, 11:41 AM
Pat was a joy to watch. A class act and just like Lawrie, a gentleman. Pat didn't have to run as he glided over the turf. He could do anything and everything. What a player he could score right foot, left foot and headers. When he and Corky (Jim O'Rourke) scored at Hampden in the League Cup Final of 1972 it was the happiest day of my then, young life. Two died in the wool Hibs boys.......just like us. Best Hibs player i have ever, or ever will, see. Wish we had players now with 25% of Pat's ability.

Leithenhibby
12-08-2013, 11:48 AM
He had a touch, an engine, he glided on the park. He bled green. We won't see the like again - always has been and will be our best IMHO.

Majestic player. I was thirteen when he went to Celtic and it felt like the world was ending!

Whilst he was a phenomenal midfielder for us during the 70's, what makes it even more remarkaable was that he was played out of position. Pat has said that he favoured playing in the centre of defence and that was where he was mostly capped for Scotland. Tommy Docherty famously said he was a better sweeper than Boobby Moore..

As above and so much more. Was of the same mould as Franz Beckenbauer who was, for me, the best player in the world at his peak.

My first impression of Frank Sauzee was how much he reminded me of Pat, the King. :aok:

IWasThere2016
12-08-2013, 11:52 AM
Pat was a joy to watch. A class act and just like Lawrie, a gentleman. Pat didn't have to run as he glided over the turf. He could do anything and everything. What a player he could score right foot, left foot and headers. When he and Corky (Jim O'Rourke) scored at Hampden in the League Cup Final of 1972 it was the happiest day of my then, young life. Two died in the wool Hibs boys.......just like us. Best Hibs player i have ever, or ever will, see. Wish we had players now with 25% of Pat's ability.

NAIL. HAMMER. WHALLOP! And a wee tear in my eye. 1 Pat Stanton :thumbsup:

Pedantic_Hibee
12-08-2013, 11:53 AM

That was as clear a pass back as you're likely to see 2mins 35secs in. Refereeing was still as bad back then by the looks of it.

Sigh.

Stantons Angel
12-08-2013, 11:53 AM
well now someone wanting a little bit of positiveness and asking about PATRICK GORDON STANTON!

unfortunately for you you have never been able to see the skills and watch with admiration the leadership of a true HIBS legend.

the word legend gets banded about far to often for my liking and unfortunately Hibs supporters do not see the likes very often. Prior to Turnbulls Tornadoes came the Famous Five who like our op i never saw play. I have listened in awe of the stories of Gordon Smith gliding down the wing, of Lawrie Reilly battling to the end for his team and heard oh so often of the hardness and discipline Eddie Turnbull gave to the legendary forward line.

On those lines Pat Stanton still reigns supreme today. A" wee laddie fae Niddrie" is how he often describes himself but to the legions of Hibs supporters who had the honor and privilege of watching him play, he was GOD!

Stanton played in defence and in midfield a true footballer born with and immense talent which he humbly never understood. Ive watched this man as a player take on the whole opposition defence to slip a perfect pass to Alan Gordon to slot away. When he got the ball he was always aware where his colleagues would be, Brownlie and Schaedler flying down the wings to support Edwards and Duncan in the forward line.
When Stanton got the ball every one moved to support him always giving him choices of where the ball could be placed and he never let them down.

He could take a game by the scruff of the neck and change the balance in Hibs favor 9/10 times. Such was his determination to carry the ball opposing defenders must have really ,,,,,,, it when he came at them.

His vision was something to witness and he seemed always to be passes ahead of his team mates, no sooner had he passed the ball he was running into space or taking defenders away so another pass could be made. His tackling was spot on especially in midfield where he rarely lost a ball. He didnt need to shout and ball at the others they knew he would find them.

He was nicknamed "the quiet man" because thats what he was on the field, no talking back to referees, no shouting at his team mates he did his talking with the ball and they knew it.

The league cup final in 72 was his game, he controlled everything that went good for Hibs that day. He strolled through the game spraying passes here there and everywhere, He was immense, sheer poetry in motion.

If it hadnt been for the likes of Davie Hay of Celtic and Billy Bremner of Leeds he would have gained many more Scotland caps!

He was really badly treated by the powers at be then and when he was made manager at Hibs. This didnt put him off as he has Hibs in his heart as well as in his blood. a proud and humble man that remains revered to this day... The man they call GOD!

IWasThere2016
12-08-2013, 11:57 AM
That was as clear a pass back as you're likely to see 2mins 35secs in. Refereeing was still as bad back then by the looks of it.

Sigh.

I suppose Craig Thompson must have had parents/decendents..

IWasThere2016
12-08-2013, 11:57 AM
well now someone wanting a little bit of positiveness and asking about PATRICK GORDON STANTON!

unfortunately for you you have never been able to see the skills and watch with admiration the leadership of a true HIBS legend.

the word legend gets banded about far to often for my liking and unfortunately Hibs supporters do not see the likes very often. Prior to Turnbulls Tornadoes came the Famous Five who like our op i never saw play. I have listened in awe of the stories of Gordon Smith gliding down the wing, of Lawrie Reilly battling to the end for his team and heard oh so often of the hardness and discipline Eddie Turnbull gave to the legendary forward line.

On those lines Pat Stanton still reigns supreme today. A" wee laddie fae Niddrie" is how he often describes himself but to the legions of Hibs supporters who had the honor and privilege of watching him play, he was GOD!

Stanton played in defence and in midfield a true footballer born with and immense talent which he humbly never understood. Ive watched this man as a player take on the whole opposition defence to slip a perfect pass to Alan Gordon to slot away. When he got the ball he was always aware where his colleagues would be, Brownlie and Schaedler flying down the wings to support Edwards and Duncan in the forward line.
When Stanton got the ball every one moved to support him always giving him choices of where the ball could be placed and he never let them down.

He could take a game by the scruff of the neck and change the balance in Hibs favor 9/10 times. Such was his determination to carry the ball opposing defenders must have really ,,,,,,, it when he came at them.

His vision was something to witness and he seemed always to be passes ahead of his team mates, no sooner had he passed the ball he was running into space or taking defenders away so another pass could be made. His tackling was spot on especially in midfield where he rarely lost a ball. He didnt need to shout and ball at the others they knew he would find them.

He was nicknamed "the quiet man" because thats what he was on the field, no talking back to referees, no shouting at his team mates he did his talking with the ball and they knew it.

The league cup final in 72 was his game, he controlled everything that went good for Hibs that day. He strolled through the game spraying passes here there and everywhere, He was immense, sheer poetry in motion.

If it hadnt been for the likes of Davie Hay of Celtic and Billy Bremner of Leeds he would have gained many more Scotland caps!

He was really badly treated by the powers at be then and when he was made manager at Hibs. This didnt put him off as he has Hibs in his heart as well as in his blood. a proud and humble man that remains revered to this day... The man they call GOD!

:top marks

londonhibby
12-08-2013, 11:59 AM
Best proper Hibs man I ever saw play, a true captain, and I don't think you can find footballers like him anywhere in the world now. He also played in the greatest Hibs team I ever had the privilege of watching.

Gutted when he went to Celtic – the only consolation being that we, by far, got the best of him. :not worth

Onion
12-08-2013, 12:03 PM
Where do you start ? He was quite simply a class act in everything he did as a player and is a true gent. It was my privilege to have watched Pat Stanton in a Hibs shirt since the early 70s and nothing has come close to matching him. Think of Sauzee's skills, temperament , ability to read the game, winning mentality, commitment, sense if fair play and leadership and then consider that we had that in one man at Hibs for over a decade and you start to get close to how good Pat Stanton was for Hibs. He could have walked into any club team in Britain at a time when Scottish clubs were a world force.

Pat set the bar for every other Hibs player I've ever watched since and is probably the reason I'm so grumpy with this current bunch :)

southsider
12-08-2013, 12:04 PM
He got at celtic what he should have got at Hibs. League and Cup winners medals

MADE IN LEITH
12-08-2013, 12:05 PM
Best proper Hibs man I ever saw play, a true captain, and I don't think you can find footballers like him anywhere in the world now. He also played in the greatest Hibs team I ever had the privilege of watching.

Gutted when he went to Celtic – the only consolation being that we, by far, got the best of him. :not worth

Agree, Pat was a great player and remember going to see him at his Testimonial when I was a young lad.

Leithenhibby
12-08-2013, 12:13 PM
Agree, Pat was a great player and remember going to see him at his Testimonial when I was a young lad.

I remember that game clearly and still have the ticket stub!

Remember Tommy Gemmell warming up at the Dunbar end in front of the thousands of Celtic fans who where signing his name. When he got to the south enclosure he removed his Celtic track suit to reveal a Hibs strip.... Funny :greengrin

hibbybrian
12-08-2013, 02:49 PM
He got at celtic what he should have got at Hibs. League and Cup winners medals

and many admirers

http://celticunderground.net/the-bhoy-in-the-picture-pat-stanton/

hibbybrian
12-08-2013, 02:52 PM
Some more admirers a bit closer to home :greengrin

http://ssa.nls.uk/film.cfm?fid=8529

wandering_hibee
12-08-2013, 02:58 PM
Can't add much to what has already been said, the best player that I have ever seen in green and white - the one and only king of ER.

Dunderhall
12-08-2013, 03:16 PM
Great athlete, immense football player.
I don't think I can add to the words above.
My first strip had 4 on the back, a real privilege to have seen him play at his peak.

Have a look at his contribution to the sixth goal in the new year game.
From the interception, to the control running at pace.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bzt4r_IIKVM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

hughio
12-08-2013, 03:38 PM
Where do you start ? He was quite simply a class act in everything he did as a player and is a true gent. It was my privilege to have watched Pat Stanton in a Hibs shirt since the early 70s and nothing has come close to matching him. Think of Sauzee's skills, temperament , ability to read the game, winning mentality, commitment, sense if fair play and leadership and then consider that we had that in one man at Hibs for over a decade and you start to get close to how good Pat Stanton was for Hibs. He could have walked into any club team in Britain at a time when Scottish clubs were a world force.

Pat set the bar for every other Hibs player I've ever watched since and is probably the reason I'm so grumpy with this current bunch :)

Im the same Onion man.
Agree with every word.

Scotty Broon powering through the middle evoked memories of Sir Pat ( but Pat made it look easy.)

Bostonhibby
12-08-2013, 04:14 PM

:thumbsup: Wish I'd written this myself, exactly how I felt at the time and feel now, He could do anything. How many Scotland caps would he have won if he'd played for any of the ugly sisters at his peak. Fantastic player and captain.

Bostonhibby
12-08-2013, 04:20 PM
Great athlete, immense football player.
I don't think I can add to the words above.
My first strip had 4 on the back, a real privilege to have seen him play at his peak.

Have a look at his contribution to the sixth goal in the new year game.
From the interception, to the control running at pace.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bzt4r_IIKVM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

:agree: And if you want to see what how to compete and play for the jersey look at Shades contribution to number 7 :greengrin Only one winner of the ball there!

Bearders
12-08-2013, 04:29 PM
NAIL. HAMMER. WHALLOP! And a wee tear in my eye. 1 Pat Stanton :thumbsup:

The Great Man will always be the the King for me. I swell up every time I watch the old footage of the Tornadoes as I was brought up on them after the departure of Cormack and Marinello. As many have said already, Pat glided across the park. He had everything in his locker - two footed, could head a ball, great engine, great composure, and in his own style a great leader - The Quiet Man. Top class players the world over glide and Pat was certainly in that bracket.

Seveno
12-08-2013, 05:40 PM
The words 'majestic', 'class', 'legendary' were all invented for Pat Stanton. He moved with his head high all the time and never once touched the ground.

andy1875
12-08-2013, 05:54 PM
I was sat next to Pat at the player of the year dinner a couple of years back.

Absolute privilege and signed a wee birthday note for my old Dad. He still has it pinned on the back of his kitchen door, big bairn :greengrin

What I'd do for a player like him in the side today.

GGTTH

therealgavmac
12-08-2013, 05:56 PM

Magnificent post - said all I wanted to say myself.......