PDA

View Full Version : Pat Stanton's View

YehButNoBut
12-08-2013, 10:13 AM
BBC article giving Pat Stanton's view on the current state of the club, seems to be blaming the players more than the manager, plenty food for thought.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23664037

Hibernian players need to do more for manager - Pat Stanton

Hibernian players need to do more to aid under-fire manager Pat Fenlon, according to club hero Pat Stanton.

"The players need to respond," Stanton told BBC Scotland after a poor start to the season from his former team. "The manager is in a difficult position.

"Some of the Hibs players should be looking in mirrors and saying 'I'm not doing enough for this man'.

"And if they are not doing enough they are as well away because they are no good for the Hibs or the manager."

And Stanton, who played close to 400 games for Hibs, agrees that a win at home to Dundee United on Saturday could quickly relieve the pressure on the manager.

"It's an ideal opportunity for the players to give the manager a boost," explained Stanton, who won 16 caps for Scotland.

"If the players respond and get a result, it could all change."

However, Stanton, 68, wants to see a change in attitude from the men in green in white.

"If you were walking down the street and someone took your wallet out of your pocket, would you just keep walking or would you run after them and get your wallet back?

"Teams are coming to take points off you and it's up to you whether they take the points or not. You have to stand up to it."

Hibs have signed James Collins and Michael Nelson from England's League One, while Liam Craig, Owain Tudur Jones and Rowan Vine were all snapped up as free agents after impressing for top flight rivals last season.

However, Stanton has not been impressed with the club's recruitment process in recent seasons.

He said: "The times Hibs have changed their personnel, it's been like-for-like with the players going and the new ones coming in.

"It's a certain type of player that's coming that I don't think are good enough for the Hibs.

"Hibs are a club that should be further up the league and they haven't been up there for quite a long time now."

Experienced midfielder Kevin Thomson, back at the club after spells with Rangers and Middlesbrough, also said the players need to take responsibility for a bad run of results.

"The manager is quite happy to carry the can but, for me, it is down to the 11 boys he picks," said the 28-year-old.

"The manager is a good man and has brought in some good players. We could have been sitting here with a good start to the season but unfortunately we are not.

"The fans pay their money and are entitled to their opinion - some of them think I'm a good player and some think I'm rubbish.

"That's the industry we are in and some people will like the manager and some people won't. He is big enough and brave enough to take it on the chin.

"The appointment of Jimmy Nicholl [assistant manager] has been fantastic. He has been a breath of fresh air since he came in, but it's a results business and as players we have to stick together and get results.

bingo70
12-08-2013, 10:18 AM
Disagree with pat on this one, I think the players are giving there all, its just that they're not creative, that's fenlons fault.

Stantons Angel
12-08-2013, 10:24 AM
BBC article giving Pat Stanton's view on the current state of the club, seems to be blaming the players more than the manager, plenty food for thought.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23664037

Hibernian players need to do more for manager - Pat Stanton

Hibernian players need to do more to aid under-fire manager Pat Fenlon, according to club hero Pat Stanton.

"The players need to respond," Stanton told BBC Scotland after a poor start to the season from his former team. "The manager is in a difficult position.

"Some of the Hibs players should be looking in mirrors and saying 'I'm not doing enough for this man'.

"And if they are not doing enough they are as well away because they are no good for the Hibs or the manager."

And Stanton, who played close to 400 games for Hibs, agrees that a win at home to Dundee United on Saturday could quickly relieve the pressure on the manager.

Every thing this man says just rings of truth. He criticizes and he explains why something that our posters need to take heed of.

He knows a player when he sees one and knows just what it takes to be a Hibs player.

The management would do well in listening to what this great man says and thinks on matters Hibernian!

God has spoken!

Just_Jimmy
12-08-2013, 10:25 AM
Its the balance of the squad and ultimately the team thats all wrong.

Harris gets injured and we have NO ONE to come in.

That is Fenlons fault

RickyS
12-08-2013, 10:34 AM
Its the balance of the squad and ultimately the team thats all wrong.

Harris gets injured and we have NO ONE to come in.

That is Fenlons fault

this!

its his job to build a squad, 2 players in each position etc. now we are playing stevenson at RB
we have no cover in wide positions and are short of quality up front.
no more excuses, he has had PLENTY time.

Surely after 2 years we should see signs of progress at least and theres DEFO no signs of that

Onion
12-08-2013, 10:39 AM
Stanton is a god and can do no wrong in my eyes. However, you have to accept that he's an ambassador for the club and could hardly be expected to say anything else. He's never going to openly criticise the Manager in the press, whether he thinks he's any good or not.

Pushing responsibility onto the players shoulders suits Fenlon and the Hibs Board.

GordonR
12-08-2013, 10:39 AM
Isn't Pat still employed by the club on the corporate hospitality front?

I'd bear that in mind, and with a large pinch of salt, when reading this piece.

Pretty Boy
12-08-2013, 10:41 AM
Pat Stanton deserves the utmost respect of every Hibs fan.

However that doesn't mean he is infallible, on this occasion he is wrong.

IWasThere2016
12-08-2013, 10:43 AM

Hear hear ..

Gustavo Fring
12-08-2013, 10:45 AM
but...

fenlon has signed most of those players

ScottB
12-08-2013, 10:45 AM
I think he's right when he says the players could / should be doing more.

But Fenlon is still the wrong man.

truehibernian
12-08-2013, 10:47 AM
Pat is correct though - Fenlon's team isn't evolving. He's bang on with the 'like for like' recruitment. Sometimes you need to adapt and change style of play - let's face it, 10th, 11th and 7th isn't progress - it's failure.

That's why I harp on about pace and width. Spoke to someone today who is high up in SFA coaching and he said he was shocked how slow Hibs look. He stopped short of saying unfit, as he cited Motherwell and Higdon's success being down to the supply he got from creative players and width. We could only mention one player at Hibs that we could say is a 'stick on' to beat men and drive forward and that's young Alex. The rest are playing scared, as if thrown together and told to 'just play'

That isn't evolution, it's regression. Hibs are in that slide and have been for years.

chrisski33
12-08-2013, 10:52 AM
Surely its Fenlons job to fire up the players and ensure they are up to it esp as hes signed most of them now! But the players do need to stand up and be counted

Craig_in_Prague
12-08-2013, 10:53 AM
I honestly don't think the current failings are to do with lack of effort or care.

We just don't have anything wide or any pace throughout. IF we had that, the likes of Craig/Thomson/robertson would have someone to pass on to and be able to create...rather than just to each other!.... As it is, we have a bunch of flat footed players that have not much of an outball.
Having said that, there was a few openings created when McGivern came on, when we passed it about near the last 3rd...and why we don't try and play like that from the off, must be down to Pat's tactics, of hanging in and hoofing the ball...otherwise he could easily sub players not willing to take the ball and make passes.
the players ought to take a bit responsibility in just hoofing it long all day though, even in our amateur teams that we may be involved in, there is more football played.

Pat is in the role a while now, the football is absolutely dreadful and results aren't there either. Just too many humiliations I'm afraid and he has to pay the price.

Our players don't look happy or as if they are enjoying their football (no wonder). It is not the standard of player which we have, we have as good as other teams, It's our how we are set-up and the fact we offer Zilch going forward. That is down to the manager, end of.

Granted, we are missing a couple of players, but he plays Cairney LM/LW and is the slowest player in the country.
It's eye bleeding stuff and as supporters, we are not get anything near good enough for Hibernian FC.

Wonder what's on at the Cinema this w/e.....

Hibbyradge
12-08-2013, 10:59 AM
Disagree with pat on this one, I think the players are giving there all, its just that they're not creative, that's fenlons fault.

I said more than once yesterday, that the players didn't want the ball.

There was no movement, no one looking to take responsibility.

They were scared ,imo.

JeMeSouviens
12-08-2013, 11:10 AM
I didn't see the game yesterday ... but if it was anything like Motherwell then most of what was wrong seemed to be a lack of getting players forward. Collins would win the ball and try and hold it against 2 or 3 defenders while the midfield were "keeping their shape" 20 or 30 yards behind him. It seems to be all about compactness and being hard to beat. Thing is, you're never that hard to beat if the opposition only have to score once. :rolleyes:

Speedway
12-08-2013, 11:11 AM
What does Pat mean when he says it's like for like and a certain type of player coming in?

Dunderhall
12-08-2013, 11:17 AM
What does Pat mean when he says it's like for like and a certain type of player coming in?
I was just about to post on that.
To me it's a valid go at Pat Fenlon and his failings to address the problems that have been there since day one.
Balance of the team is wrong, lack of pace and creativity. Effectively going round in circles.
thats my take on it.

Stevie Reid
12-08-2013, 12:22 PM
I found Thomson's comments re: Jimmy Nicholl to be interesting.

Makaveli
12-08-2013, 12:25 PM
I found Thomson's comments re: Jimmy Nicholl to be interesting.

So did I.

Thomson had to back Fenlon, but he didn't have to say that JN "has been a breath of fresh air." From what. Fenlon?

Golden Bear
12-08-2013, 12:31 PM

:agree:

Breaking point has been reached by the majority of the fans and the pressure on the Board must be cranked up to ensure that what needs to be done is done.

The_Horde
12-08-2013, 12:32 PM

:agree: also says the players are not doing enough. Is that a pop at Fenlon too or a hint towards a lethargy throughout the club? Or both?

NORTHERNHIBBY
12-08-2013, 12:41 PM
Awkward more than difficult to disagree with the greatest living Hibby, but I don't believe that Sir Pat is overly qualified on this one. Some of the older posters on here might remember that home game against Dumbarton, when they did us and put them a distance clear of us.

Treadstone
12-08-2013, 12:43 PM
Awkward more than difficult to disagree with the greatest living Hibby, but I don't believe that Sir Pat is overly qualified on this one. Some of the older posters on here might remember that home game against Dumbarton, when they did us and put them a distance clear of us.

I'm sure it was a 'Hibs kids' game as well. Teach 'em young.:greengrin

Sudds_1
12-08-2013, 12:43 PM
I think he's right when he says the players could / should be doing more.

But Fenlon is still the wrong man.

.yep. With the right man at the helm they WILL do more............:agree: