PDA

View Full Version : Fans Chosing Managers

Phil D. Rolls
12-08-2013, 09:15 AM
Does anyone remember when Owen Coyle wasn't a big enough name to manage Hibs? One of many respected managers rejected by our all knowing support.

Petrie has made some bad choices, but then so have the supporters. So why would anyone consult fans about the next manager?

Yet, fan ownership seems to be being mentioned more frequently. As a supporter, can anyone give me a link to the Hibs fans' CV?

Miller said, "the team that the fans pick never loses, because it never plays". Like it or not, the fans are merely customers of the club, and have as much right to be involved in hiring and firing than the customers of M&S.

Beefster
12-08-2013, 09:18 AM
Does anyone remember when Owen Coyle wasn't a big enough name to manage Hibs? One of many respected managers rejected by our all knowing support.

Petrie has made some bad choices, but then so have the supporters. So why would anyone consult fans about the next manager?

Yet, fan ownership seems to be being mentioned more frequently. As a supporter, can anyone give me a link to the Hibs fans' CV?

Miller said, "the team that the fans pick never loses, because it never plays". Like it or not, the fans are merely customers of the club, and have as much right to be involved in hiring and firing than the customers of M&S.

Is anyone asking for that?

To be honest, I think your post is based on a complete misunderstanding of what fan ownership is.

blackpoolhibs
12-08-2013, 09:26 AM
The fans all have opinions which are never wrong, but thats fine we only pay for that privilege. Those who do actually appoint the managers get paid to do this, and continually get it so wrong. :rolleyes:

Ray_
12-08-2013, 09:27 AM

Fans don't get the opportunity to interview managers under a selection process, therefore, the club would have a major advantage to gauge any prospective employee over what the fans have.

Onion
12-08-2013, 09:28 AM

Fans do not pick managers and no manager has ever been appointed by Hibs fans. The Board are HIGHLY PAID to do that job as employees of the club. If they choose to follow the views of the fans, then that's up to them. They cannot however turn round and blame the fans when it goes pair-shaped. The reason fans are all debating the team, formations, and the next manager is simply due to the ineptitude of the current manager and Board - who are patently failing.

Phil D. Rolls
12-08-2013, 09:29 AM
The fans all have opinions which are never wrong, but thats fine we only pay for that privilege. Those who do actually appoint the managers get paid to do this, and continually get it so wrong. :rolleyes:

There can be no argument about the fact that the board have consistently got it wrong.

blackpoolhibs
12-08-2013, 09:34 AM
There can be no argument about the fact that the board have consistently got it wrong.

And gets back to how i feel we have no leadership from the top. If as you say the board have appointed managers the support have been clamouring to see in the seat, its them who are more often than not being lead rather than the other way around?

From the outside looking in, it hardly seems as if there's much thought that goes into appointing many of the managers we get?

Phil D. Rolls
12-08-2013, 09:39 AM
And gets back to how i feel we have no leadership from the top. If as you say the board have appointed managers the support have been clamouring to see in the seat, its them who are more often than not being lead rather than the other way around?

From the outside looking in, it hardly seems as if there's much thought that goes into appointing many of the managers we get?

Cost seems to be the main driver. What I don't get, is how the likes of St Johnstone are so good at it. Or is it just a case of more realistic expectations of their managers?

Kaiser1962
12-08-2013, 10:08 AM
Cost seems to be the main driver. What I don't get, is how the likes of St Johnstone are so good at it. Or is it just a case of more realistic expectations of their managers?

Geoff Brown was chairman of Saints from 1986-2011 and in that time they spent 15 seasons outside the top division. We both had 10 managers over that period.

Phil D. Rolls
12-08-2013, 10:11 AM
Geoff Brown was chairman of Saints from 1986-2011 and in that time they spent 15 seasons outside the top division. We both had 10 managers over that period.

In that case, are we really as bad as we think?

joe breezy
12-08-2013, 10:12 AM
It's a good point.

The manager should be choosing by the Director of Football and advisors, not an accountant.

SlickShoes
12-08-2013, 10:14 AM

Currently YES, overall NO.

Peoples expectations of Hibs are all over the place, if you look at how we have performed over something like my lifetime (since 1983) I have no idea how people expect us to be finishing 2nd or 3rd regularly and playing good football. 1991 was a good season, we had another good one in the mid 90's, McLeish and Mowbray had decent seasons in the SPL, the rest of the time we are a mid table SPL side at best.

Kaiser1962
12-08-2013, 10:25 AM

St Johnstone were a lower half top division side up until the advent of 10 team PL in the 70's, and they were relegated in its first season in 1976. They had had 13 straight seasons in the top flight with a best finish of third behind Jock Stein's Celtic and Eddie Turnbull's Aberdeen.

This season they equal their best run of five consectutive seasons in the top flight since the end of the old 18 team First Division.

Everything is subjective and there is little doubt we are poor at this time, while Saintees are on one of their best spells in the last 40 years.

Phil D. Rolls
12-08-2013, 10:33 AM
St Johnstone were a lower half top division side up until the advent of 10 team PL in the 70's, and they were relegated in its first season in 1976. They had had 13 straight seasons in the top flight with a best finish of third behind Jock Stein's Celtic and Eddie Turnbull's Aberdeen.

This season they equal their best run of five consectutive seasons in the top flight since the end of the old 18 team First Division.

Everything is subjective and there is little doubt we are poor at this time, while Saintees are on one of their best spells in the last 40 years.

Personally, I think we should be doing better. The evidence seems to suggest otherwise though. Only one team has gone some way to challenging at the top end of the table regularly. Even they can hardly say they have been dominant, having been outside the top 6 on occasion, despite spending massively.

I think what the board really have to consider is - what is the point of a big club's infrastructure, if we are a mid table team? It would be interesting to see how Hibs league positions stand up over the last 100 years.

I think we have been around long enough to have a fair idea what our real potential is, and have realistic ambitions.