PDA

View Full Version : Young Laddie Crying

Speedway
12-08-2013, 12:46 AM
Bloke asked a couple of us today, in all seriousness, how he can get himself into supporting another team so that his lad doesn't grow up supporting a 'losing' club.

Desperately wants to go and have his son grow up watching 'a proper team' but felt inexorably tied to the club due to however many generations that he said his family had followed the club, in the blood etc etc.

Dig away at the guy for being a turncoat, but when watching Hibs has that effect on you, surely it's time to pack it in, no? It's just not healthy.

So so sad.

Hibercelona
12-08-2013, 12:53 AM
The ties are the only thing keeping any fans going back to ER at the moment. There's really no other reason to go and watch Hibs right now.

That's how far we've dropped over the years.

Pete
12-08-2013, 12:53 AM
Edit: I shouldn't have even asked.

Absolute garbage.

Stringer
12-08-2013, 12:58 AM
FFS.

Unless you support Celtic, every team in Scotland is a 'losing' team.

Iain G
12-08-2013, 01:02 AM
FFS.

Oh but we do it with so much style and panache ;)

Speedway
12-08-2013, 01:06 AM
FFS.

Agreed so presumably it comes down to the degree, manner and regularity of defeat that we're being asked to pay to watch.

Pete
12-08-2013, 01:27 AM
Agreed so presumably it comes down to the degree, manner and regularity of defeat that we're being asked to pay to watch.

Are you asking people for reasons why "the guy" shouldn't pack it in?

AgentDaleCooper
12-08-2013, 02:10 AM

i think his point is just a general one - it doesn't take that much of a leap in logic to see how one could end up feeling like this chap, and that is a sign of how utterly, utterly rotten our club is at the moment. something is very wrong. loosing today hurts, but not in the way it should - it's utterly expected, and is more of a compounding of previously held feelings, rather than a sharp shock of anger that you can bounce back from. i just can't honestly see what the way forward is, as things stand - something massive needs to change.

AgentDaleCooper
12-08-2013, 02:18 AM

if that is what he's asking, then i suppose the reason is this - we aren't going to be in this rut forever. all clubs goes through dark spells and come out of them. we will be back, even if it's a long and grizzly road, and when we lift that cup, it'll be all the sweeter for it. :aok:

Pete
12-08-2013, 02:23 AM
if that is what he's asking, then i suppose the reason is this - we aren't going to be in this rut forever. all clubs goes through dark spells and come out of them. we will be back, even if it's a long and grizzly road, and when we lift that cup, it'll be all the sweeter for it. :aok:

Getting there you are.

:greengrin

AgentDaleCooper
12-08-2013, 02:33 AM
Getting there you are.

hah, yes, a moment of zen...though the point still remains - if we don't change, we'll rot until we've completely dissolved.

God Petrie
12-08-2013, 05:25 AM
Jesus Christ

EuanH78
12-08-2013, 06:12 AM
Jesus Christ

Is he a creative midfielder?

flash
12-08-2013, 06:13 AM
Bloke asked a couple of us today, in all seriousness, how he can get himself into supporting another team so that his lad doesn't grow up supporting a 'losing' club.

Desperately wants to go and have his son grow up watching 'a proper team' but felt inexorably tied to the club due to however many generations that he said his family had followed the club, in the blood etc etc.

Dig away at the guy for being a turncoat, but when watching Hibs has that effect on you, surely it's time to pack it in, no? It's just not healthy.

So so sad.

is it you?

hibs4thecup1988
12-08-2013, 06:20 AM
Unreal.

My laddie is 8. Cries everytime we lose but never asks to support another team. He is coming round to the fact we aren't the best team and we will lose. As soon as we leave any ground we are at he asks when is the next game.

If any kid is asking to support some other team then you haven't done your job properly in my view.

LancsHibs
12-08-2013, 06:29 AM
Should have told him to man up and grow some balls! I grew up supporting Hibs in the 80's and it's done me no harm!! Wibble.

sambajustice
12-08-2013, 06:52 AM
Tell him to save the tears for when we get relegated in May!

hibs4thecup1988
12-08-2013, 06:54 AM
Lancs and samba are bang on the money. Forgot to say...try supporting the team in the 90's. Play offs then relegation the next year.

Islington Hibs
12-08-2013, 07:02 AM
It is a serious point. Died in the wool Hibs netters will always support the club, even if they can't make every game. But for the next generation there needs to be something positive. Stars, atmosphere, buzz and being a winner. All those things are lacking in spades and it can not bode well for our support in the long term. It is a general Scottish problem but Hibs have an acute infection of the disease.

hibsbollah
12-08-2013, 07:04 AM
The reasons I go to Easter Road have very little to do with watching a winning team. I suspect it's similar to why the religious among us go to Church. You're putting down a marker as to what you believe in and you're following a cultural, historical or family tradition.

But at the end of the day, it's just a ****ing game of football. It shouldn't be messing with our mental health:greengrin

hibsbollah
12-08-2013, 07:06 AM
Lancs and samba are bang on the money. Forgot to say...try supporting the team in the 90's. Play offs then relegation the next year.

...or the 80s. For a Hibby going to school during the 23 in a row wasn't much fun:rolleyes:

DanHFC1875
12-08-2013, 07:09 AM
Unreal.

My laddie is 8. Cries everytime we lose but never asks to support another team. He is coming round to the fact we aren't the best team and we will lose. As soon as we leave any ground we are at he asks when is the next game.

If any kid is asking to support some other team then you haven't done your job properly in my view.

Here here.

Hibernia&Alba
12-08-2013, 07:19 AM
There comes that moment in the life of every son/daughter when, after a particularly bad defeat, they look their father in the eye and say "It's your fault I'm a Hibs fan!". The father looks at the ground, feeling he's somehow failed his child :greengrin. However, we wouldn't have it any other way. There are many clubs scraping around the lower leagues who would kill for our position, stadium fanbase. We put up with some amount of heartbreak and crap, that's true, but the masochism is all part of being a football fan. Being able to moan about the state of ones team is a way of letting out life's frustrations for the football fan, the vast majority of whom don't experience great sides and trophies every year.

HibbySpurs
12-08-2013, 07:29 AM
Then sometimes Hibs offer those great moments in parenting.... My 6 year old was in tears at half time during the semi V Falkirk last season and my 11 year old daughter was close to being in the same state....

I was close to tears when Sparky made it 4-3 (not fo me or Hibs but for my kids) and my two kids were near tears again with happiness, holding my boy up at full time with him waving his Hibs flag full of pride is something that will live with me forever.....
:aok:

:flag:

Keep the faith, we are that big a club that good times will return, I'm just struggling to see when at this moment in time.:rolleyes:

Phil D. Rolls
12-08-2013, 07:32 AM

So so sad.

Think it's time the guy worked out what's important in life, before his kid works out his father is an idiot.

spike220
12-08-2013, 07:33 AM

So so sad.There is a very simple solution to this problem my friend. 1. Sit your son down and play Sunshine on Leith. 2. Tell him what the words in the song means and how the song came about. 3. Show him the 2007 CIS final with all the fans singing sunshine on Leith. 4. Tell him you cant promise him glory often when following Hibs, but when it does come nothing on this earth can touch it. And finally get a grip of yourself man, the last thing any son of mine would be be seen in is a Celtic, or Man City kit or the like. That would be too much for me to bare.

spike220
12-08-2013, 07:37 AM
There is a very simple solution to this problem my friend. 1. Sit your son down and play Sunshine on Leith. 2. Tell him what the words in the song means and how the song came about. 3. Show him the 2007 CIS final with all the fans singing sunshine on Leith. 4. Tell him you cant promise him glory often when following Hibs, but when it does come nothing on this earth can touch it. And finally get a grip of yourself man, the last thing any son of mine would be be seen in is a Celtic, or Man City kit or the like. That would be too much for me to bare.
I did this to a pal of mine (who was not a fan any club) prior to the SC final. We went to watch it and he was a broken man after, I was not happy but got over it quicker than he did. I told him it was the Hibs way and when we do win it the party will be bigger with each and every loss. He gave me a strange look, but that is part and parcel of being a Hibs man.

CRAZYHIBBY
12-08-2013, 07:47 AM
My laddie just got his new hibs top with number 16 on it....(his choice of number for reasons known only to him) for his birthday.....hes 5 and has no interest in football what so ever but because im a hibby he thinks he one too and tells anyone who will listen, even though hes happier out playing on his bike or with his cars whilst im sitting swearing at the radio or tv when the games on............the wee dudes proud as punch with his new top even though it looks like a bloody night dress on him due to his granny having no clue as to what sizes mean........its in his blood. As the saying goes "Born a hibby so i'll die a hibby

matty_f
12-08-2013, 08:00 AM
My laddie just got his new hibs top with number 16 on it....(his choice of number for reasons known only to him) for his birthday.....hes 5 and has no interest in football what so ever but because im a hibby he thinks he one too and tells anyone who will listen, even though hes happier out playing on his bike or with his cars whilst im sitting swearing at the radio or tv when the games on............the wee dudes proud as punch with his new top even though it looks like a bloody night dress on him due to his granny having no clue as to what sizes mean........its in his blood. As the saying goes "Born a hibby so i'll die a hibby
Same thing here, my son turned 10 today and as soon as he opened his Hibs top it was straight on and he's buzzing about it.

Pretty Boy
12-08-2013, 08:02 AM

This rut has gone on for the best part of 6 years now with a couple of short spells under both Hughes and Fenlon when it looked slightly better.

I'm not sure this is a rut but rather terminal decline.

sleeping giant
12-08-2013, 08:20 AM
I'd tell the father to grow a pair if its a true story .
You at again Speedy ?

HibbySpurs
12-08-2013, 08:26 AM

:agree:. Yup, my two are the same, it's because of the passion we show towards the club I reckon, it sucks them in as they want to be like "Dad", sadly they get caught up in that whirpool and then theres no escape for them, maybe it's why teenagers become so bitter towards their father's :greengrin

Carheenlea
12-08-2013, 08:45 AM
Think it's time the guy worked out what's important in life, before his kid works out his father is an idiot.

Absolutey. It's a game of football, a weekend pastime that we care about, yes, but if it's getting to that level then the guy really does need to get a grip.

Brightside
12-08-2013, 08:48 AM

So so sad.

Tell him to go and watch Hibs Ladies. If Fenlon stays thats where i'll be going.

blackpoolhibs
12-08-2013, 08:51 AM
Should have told him to man up and grow some balls! I grew up supporting Hibs in the 80's and it's done me no harm!! Wibble.

I don't believe you, we had to take your belt and laces off you yesterday.

ArmadaleHibs
12-08-2013, 09:06 AM
My son is 9. He lives through on the west coast were the chances of him running into another hibs supporter is slim to none. Every kid in his school supports either old firm side. My lads never really seen a good hibs team and he's been going home and away for four years but all he talks about is hibs. He wears his hibs strips at PE in school and other kids tell him his teams crap. Does this bother him? No! I brought him up telling him how important it is to support one team and one team only. The team that is yours is yours for ever. He likes man utd and Liverpool and any team in England that has ex hibs players. He's watched probably the worst ever hibs teams in his short time going to games but understands about losing. He knows its not about just winning. (Thankfully)

watching the tv together the other day he got of his chair and turned the tv over for no good reason during the adverts. I asked him why? "That was a WONGA advert dad, I can't stomach watching anything to do with them" .

Proud!!!!! Yes

Waxy
12-08-2013, 09:10 AM
Yeh i grew up watching Hibs in the 80s also.
Wonder if i can sue them for that?

Phil D. Rolls
12-08-2013, 09:17 AM
Yeh i grew up watching Hibs in the 80s also.
Wonder if i can sue them for that?

Only if your name is Hedley Lamarr.

The Gorf
12-08-2013, 09:43 AM
Unreal.

I started taking my son to the East stand when he was 8. He's 25 now and it's grown to tears of frustration now. He'll never not support the Hibs. He gets uptight like every Hibby after a loss but soon gets over it. Until after the next game ends :confused: and then the frustration starts over again.

Phil D. Rolls
12-08-2013, 09:54 AM
Shoeless Joe Jackson springs to mind.

If you build them up, they will fall down.

Speedway
12-08-2013, 10:07 AM
Didn't think there would be much opinion for this one.

No.

i think his point is just a general one - it doesn't take that much of a leap in logic to see how one could end up feeling like this chap, and that is a sign of how utterly, utterly rotten our club is at the moment. something is very wrong. loosing today hurts, but not in the way it should - it's utterly expected, and is more of a compounding of previously held feelings, rather than a sharp shock of anger that you can bounce back from. i just can't honestly see what the way forward is, as things stand - something massive needs to change.

It was sad. I don't know but got the impression the dad wasn't a local.

is it you?

Of course it's me, I don't let anyone else post under this username. Is that you?

The reasons I go to Easter Road have very little to do with watching a winning team. I suspect it's similar to why the religious among us go to Church. You're putting down a marker as to what you believe in and you're following a cultural, historical or family tradition.

But at the end of the day, it's just a ****ing game of football. It shouldn't be messing with our mental health:greengrin

That's it in a nutshell I think. It's part of your identity.

I think the dad was hurting for his kid. As if, I grew up with this **** why should he have to? sort of thing.

Phil D. Rolls
12-08-2013, 10:14 AM
Didn't think there would be much opinion for this one.

No.

It was sad. I don't know but got the impression the dad wasn't a local.

Of course it's me, I don't let anyone else post under this username. Is that you?

That's it in a nutshell I think. It's part of your identity.

I think the dad was hurting for his kid. As if, I grew up with this **** why should he have to? sort of thing.

I think if the dad wasn't bothered, the son wouldn't be. To me, following a team as a kid should teach you lessons about life. Particularly, how to handle disappointment by getting things in perspective.

Billychaotic182
12-08-2013, 10:55 AM
I live in Aberdeen so it costs me a fair bob to come down. I can't find any motivation to fork out money to go see hibs ATM. Never missed a game up here and been to most utd and Dundee away games. The football is just poor. I can take hibs losing as I never expect to win any game. It's the manner in which we lose them. Yesterday was eye bleeding football with little chances and had nothing really to get you excited. Why spend £30+ to go see that? I just want us playing football and not hoofball really. Sorry rant over just hurting still

Scouse Hibee
12-08-2013, 10:59 AM
Son to Dad - "Dad do we have to watch this team every week, they're rubbish and keep getting beat"

Dad to Son- "Yes son we have to keep watching them"

Son to Dad - "Why though? Why can't we go and watch another team?"

Dad to Son - "Because if we done that we would be watching someone else's team and not our own"

Son to Dad - "So ------------ will always be our team no matter how good or bad they are?"

Dad to Son - "That's right son, a lesson you can pass to your own kids one day"

The Leith Dutch
12-08-2013, 11:00 AM
loosing today hurts, but not in the way it should - it's utterly expected.

This. Very much this.

Speedway
12-08-2013, 11:03 AM
Son to Dad - "Dad do we have to watch this team every week, they're rubbish and keep getting beat"

Dad to Son- "Yes son we have to keep watching them"

Son to Dad - "Why though? Why can't we go and watch another team?"

Dad to Son - "Because if we done that we would be watching someone else's team and not our own"

Son to Dad - "So ------------ will always be our team no matter how good or bad they are?"

Dad to Son - "That's right son, a lesson you can pass to your own kids one day"

So Dad, you believe in backing a loser over and over again?

That's right son.

Nae wonder yer always skint.

sesoim
12-08-2013, 12:04 PM
FFS.

If you are finishing 2nd and winning the odd Cup you are doing pretty well, and that SHOULD be our aims. Fenlon doesn't seem to have any aims other than to avoid losing at the moment.

I started supporting Hibs when we were 2nd bottom in January 1985. I liked the strip and the name, but knew none of the players. We went to Rangers that week and beat them at Ibrox.

Most of us have lived through lots of bad Hibs teams. But that doesn't mean it should continually have to be that way. A club that is capable of getting 14-15,000 average crowds should be doing better. But there is nothing on the playing side to make a young fan support us, which could mean us losing a generation of fans.

Such a shame, as Hibs DO have a lot of potential.

HFC07
12-08-2013, 12:05 PM
So Dad, you believe in backing a loser over and over again?

That's right son.

Nae wonder yer always skint.

They dont always loose though.

In the begining its not about looking at the league seeing who is the best team and going with them, is all about going to the game with your old man and him teaching you about football.
You want to follow the team your old man does. After time it become your team, you know there history, you look forward to their games.
Aye you are gutted when they loose and absolutly over the moon when they win.

But thats Hibs over the back and I wouldnt have it any other way, im glad my old man took me to hibs games and im always proud to be a hibby even in the face of deafat.

Anyway selecting another team, im sure that's called glory hunting is it not???

Time For Heroes
12-08-2013, 12:07 PM
I remember watch THEM vs us at Tincastle and we lost, told me old man that I wanted to support them as we never beat them!
His response "No bother son, you can pick whatever team you want"
I was about 8yrs old.
Once we got home he then explained that until I was at least 16 I wouldnt be able got to go to games without him and he only went to Easter Road.
No football or losing, glad I stuck with Hibs, were ***** most of the time but every so often we get a little something back, makes it all worthwhile.

fatbloke
12-08-2013, 12:14 PM
My 23 year old son was at tynie yesterday - sadly not as a fan - as a steward, he does Er, Murrayfield etc etc. He talks about us losing but is not a let it spoil my weekend kind of guy. He tells me he has seen what is has done to his sister and myself over the last 20 years and thinks NNNNNNNNOOOOOO. He has decided he likes Borussia Dortmund, mind you he did take his girlfriend to Rankgers v Newcatle which he says he thoroughly enjoyed. Part of me regrets that he is not a dyed in the wool Hibby like his sister but the other part is glad that days like yesterday do not have the capacity to upset him too much.

fatbloke
12-08-2013, 12:17 PM
If you are finishing 2nd and winning the odd Cup you are doing pretty well, and that SHOULD be our aims. Fenlon doesn't seem to have any aims other than to avoid losing at the moment.

I started supporting Hibs when we were 2nd bottom in January 1985. I liked the strip and the name, but knew none of the players. We went to Rangers that week and beat them at Ibrox.

Most of us have lived through lots of bad Hibs teams. But that doesn't mean it should continually have to be that way. A club that is capable of getting 14-15,000 average crowds should be doing better. But there is nothing on the playing side to make a young fan support us, which could mean us losing a generation of fans.

Such a shame, as Hibs DO have a lot of potential.

That is worrying me more than the constant ache I have in my left testicle.

ahibby
12-08-2013, 12:18 PM
I have to admit that the perennial inability of the club to get us were we expect to be coupled with the embarrassing forays in Europe after the Athens game has lessened my enthusiasm. I still purchase a ST, thank god I can afford it, many years ago I went to lengths to get one when money was tight. If it were tight now I wouldn't bother with an ST to be honest. I'm finding it harder to relate to the club and having supported them through good and bad for over forty years, I find it a wee bit strange that is the case, I mean it's not as if we haven't had huge problems over the decades. However, I think this is the first time that we have gone from bad to worse and that despite a manager getting 200k to buy a player and seemingly being able to infill for injured positions at the last mo (i.e. Nelson in for McPake). However enthusiasm may well be restored as we go in to the season and get results but deep down I feel that perhaps we have the wrong back room staff/manager yet again.

LioNeilMessi
12-08-2013, 12:41 PM
At 21 I feel that I've had enough Hibs for a lifetime at the moment. However, my enthusiasm was at an all time high at the end of last season and will be heading down on Saturday in hope that the team responds and finally score goals and win.

Speedway
12-08-2013, 12:56 PM

In the begining its not about looking at the league seeing who is the best team and going with them, is all about going to the game with your old man and him teaching you about football.
You want to follow the team your old man does. After time it become your team, you know there history, you look forward to their games.

But thats Hibs over the back and I wouldnt have it any other way, im glad my old man took me to hibs games and im always proud to be a hibby even in the face of deafat.

That's exactly what it is. Is there anything wrong with it?

Scouse Hibee
12-08-2013, 01:06 PM
That's exactly what it is. Is there anything wrong with it?

Only in the eyes of those that don't do it.

basehibby
12-08-2013, 01:07 PM

....aye but it bloody well seems like it sometimes.

I've got one daughter who recently turned 10 - she's been along to a dozen or more Hibs Kids games over the years (all of them winable) and has NEVER seen Hibs win.

She actually asked me one time, during an unspecified stretch of disastrous form under yet another failing manager: "Daddy - why do Hibs always lose?"

She's still a Hibby and always will be but, unsurprisingly, she's not interested in coming to the football any more. Yes - it's partly because as a girl of 10 she's interested in other things. But it's also because her daddy has the misfortune of being a passionate supporter of a team that seems to specialise in spectacular underachievement and unrelenting disappointment.

I'm happy that she's got plenty better things to do than share in getting most of her weekends spoiled by a bunch of feckless losers and am no longer going to even try to convince her otherwise until there's a team worthy of her support taking the field at ER.

Alex Trager
12-08-2013, 03:41 PM
I'm twenty and like many others at my age feel like I have had enough of Hibs to last a lifetime. It really is depressing being a Hibs fan. But more than that right now it feels like I don't even want to go back.
Saturday will come and I imagine I'll be at Easter road. If we get beat I may end up not going back. I really feel like it's a waste of time. I have a st but I feel like it makes no odds.

Anyone in the ground yesterday seen we were edging to a goal before they scored and then PF takes off an attacking mid for a defensive mid. Then Stanton being brought on was like he was just going through the motions- PF that is- I mean he had two young strikers on the bench and he brings midfielders on? What?

Right now as I said, I'll probably go on Saturday but If we get beat then. I can see me saying screw this. It's getting to be the case where I am expecting to get beat and I'm not like that in any other aspect of life so why should I accept it for my Saturday- well anyday of the week these days- hobby?
It's shocking.
I don't think Petrie should go. I think there should be someone else brought in to work at the football side of things whilst RP works with the books. I am
In no doubt his ability to manage books. Obviously footballing wise he is a poor poor choice.

Fenlon goes.