PDA

View Full Version : What will the Board do?

Islington Hibs
11-08-2013, 06:08 PM
Regardless of whether they should, or should not, I suspect the Board will not sack Fenlon over the next few days. However I find it hard to see how Fenlon can survive unless there is a miraculous and improbable turnaround. The support, sadly myself included, have lost faith in him- two many disasters and humiliations and strange tactics.

So my prediction is Petrie will gamble that our 12 point lead over Hears is sufficient to see how things go over the next 4-6 weeks or so. He will rationalise that there has been a lot of investment in a new team and the change now would cost several hundred thousand more in paying off Fenlon, bringing the new guy in and presumably giving him a bit of a budget. He will also believe that a couple of decent cup runs has bought some credit and cash(in his eyes)He will also rationalise that Hibs has been a merry-go round of downward failure and more change will be de-stabilising. He will also like to look the strong man and not give in to 'fan pressure' despite the fact that we have had numerous managers over the last decade.

However this defeat today I think is the last straw for most. Just when we had the chance to turn the tables on the financially turbo changed Hearts we blew it big. When precisely 6782 spectators turn up for a 1-1 draw with Dundee United and then 6218 for the Ross 1-0 defeat at home he will realise that not to change will be even more costly. Sadly whether it is this week, or six weeks it is over for Fenlon.

The wider question is however why do Hibs consistently underperform. Fenlon or no Fenlon?

Skol
11-08-2013, 06:12 PM
Question is what will the fans do ?

For the first time in many years, ever since I bought a season ticket, I am thinking about not going (other than those where a legitimate reason not to attend such as holidays or other arrangements)

Saorsa
11-08-2013, 06:14 PM
Nothing? Hide? Blame everybody, everything and anything else? :dunno:

God Petrie
11-08-2013, 06:15 PM
To answer the title,**** all

Heisenberg
11-08-2013, 06:17 PM
We might get a statement about how the recent performances are unacceptable and they back PF to turn it round but that'll be about it.

blackpoolhibs
11-08-2013, 06:18 PM
I will tell you what the board will do, they will turn up for work on Monday morning. They will go about their business as if nothing is wrong, they could fire Fenlon and employ another patsy but nothing will change.

We need to protest, and we need to protest loudly. Banners and songs before during and after the game on Saturday.

lord bunberry
11-08-2013, 06:25 PM
I think they will sack him, I can't remember the support being so unanimously against a manager, the thought of another rebuilding job fills me with dread, but it's the lesser of two evils at the moment. We have to hope the board manages to bring the right man in this time, I can't say I'm confident of that happening.

Hibercelona
11-08-2013, 06:28 PM
We're so far away from where we should be. Pat's been here for 21 months and hasn't changed anything. We were fortunate enough to have LG papering over the cracks for us last season, now that he's gone, you can clearly see that nothing has really changed since Pats arrival.

The board only have one sane option to take. Then they can take that same option on themselves.

PatHead
I think they will sack him, I can't remember the support being so unanimously against a manager, the thought of another rebuilding job fills me with dread, but it's the lesser of two evils at the moment. We have to hope the board manages to bring the right man in this time, I can't say I'm confident of that happening.

You have a short memory. Think we were just as united against Calderwood.

Saorsa
I think they will sack him, I can't remember the support being so unanimously against a manager, the thought of another rebuilding job fills me with dread, but it's the lesser of two evils at the moment. We have to hope the board manages to bring the right man in this time, I can't say I'm confident of that happening.Because Fenlon is only part of the problem (and no the biggest part), just like the rest before him, someone else will come in but little will change.

Islington Hibs
11-08-2013, 06:33 PM
Because Fenlon is only part of the problem (and no the biggest part), just like the rest before him, someone else will come in but little will change.

Agree. While I have lost confidence in Fenlon the issues, as you say, are much deeper. There is no magic wand. I think we have a lot to be grateful to Farmer for but we need an owner occupier, not a half interested absentee landlord running the club. Either Farmer takes day to day CEO control and kicks ass or we need the long (could be very long) search for a sugar daddy. My lottery numbers did not come up this week!

lord bunberry
11-08-2013, 06:35 PM
You have a short memory. Think we were just as united against Calderwood.

That's true, it just goes to show how badly the club has got it wrong with the last couple of manager's.

Beefster
11-08-2013, 06:37 PM
They'll sit tight.

Hibby_CR14
11-08-2013, 06:42 PM
Don't know how they can stick with him now...will be a shocking attendance on Saturday.
Don't think we have played any good football in the time Fenlon has been there. Can't wait till he leaves and hopefully the new man will give the players more freedom to have a go. Sick of players hitting the ball as far as they can to nobody and hoping for the best.

Makaveli
11-08-2013, 06:45 PM
I think they'll announce his sacking at around 10am.

IWasThere2016
11-08-2013, 06:47 PM
They'll sit tight.

I agree - otherwise there is no hiding place for the useless tached one..

Crab apple
11-08-2013, 06:48 PM
Regardless of whether they should, or should not, I suspect the Board will not sack Fenlon over the next few days. However I find it hard to see how Fenlon can survive unless there is a miraculous and improbable turnaround. The support, sadly myself included, have lost faith in him- two many disasters and humiliations and strange tactics.

So my prediction is Petrie will gamble that our 12 point lead over Hears is sufficient to see how things go over the next 4-6 weeks or so. He will rationalise that there has been a lot of investment in a new team and the change now would cost several hundred thousand more in paying off Fenlon, bringing the new guy in and presumably giving him a bit of a budget. He will also believe that a couple of decent cup runs has bought some credit and cash(in his eyes)He will also rationalise that Hibs has been a merry-go round of downward failure and more change will be de-stabilising. He will also like to look the strong man and not give in to 'fan pressure' despite the fact that we have had numerous managers over the last decade.

However this defeat today I think is the last straw for most. Just when we had the chance to turn the tables on the financially turbo changed Hearts we blew it big. When precisely 6782 spectators turn up for a 1-1 draw with Dundee United and then 6218 for the Ross 1-0 defeat at home he will realise that not to change will be even more costly. Sadly whether it is this week, or six weeks it is over for Fenlon.

The wider question is however why do Hibs consistently underperform. Fenlon or no Fenlon?

I don't think they'll do anything different following today's performance. The next milestone will probably be the League Cup third round in mid September. If league form doesn't improve and we get emptied again by a lower league club then I think they'll be forced to act.

Steve20
11-08-2013, 06:50 PM
The board will do **** all because we accept it. This should not be allowed to continuer, but it will.

GreenPJ
11-08-2013, 06:52 PM

I think he will go tomorrow and I think that the reason we did bot get mccourt was the board were not going to sanction a spend on someone they thought they might have to sack in the next week. Whatever small budget is left should be for the new manager. Fundamentally I still think we have not a bad team but we need tactics and belief and that Ia not happening under the current stewardship.

Moon unit
11-08-2013, 06:53 PM
Regardless of whether they should, or should not, I suspect the Board will not sack Fenlon over the next few days. However I find it hard to see how Fenlon can survinve unless there is a miraculous and improbable turnaround. The support, sadly myself included, have lost faith in him- two many disasters and humiliations and strange tactics.

Nowt!.....is what they will do,communications will remain p..poor,bar tokenism and they certainly will not sack themselves!

Silky
11-08-2013, 06:54 PM
I think the whole thing is a legacy of poor decision making and bad management. Sure, it seems Fenlon's days are numbered, but how many 18-24 month managers can we have? The number of bosses we've been through in the last few years is scandalous and if we're only prepared to give managers that length of time, then we'll never get anywhere as re-buildings never get a chance to work.

I'm not saying I'm happy with where we are now, but there has to come a time when a manager gets a good 3-4 years at it, regardless of how we're playing!

lucky
11-08-2013, 07:00 PM
They'll do nothing but PF will walk anyway

HibbyAndy
11-08-2013, 07:02 PM
Fenlon will walk away IMO.

ahibby
11-08-2013, 07:04 PM
I doubt whether he can improve sufficiently to make us back him again but he will likely start to get the odd good result soon which will appease the situation. The board will not sack him and he will probably offer his resignation which will be refused (he will because of the number of fans against him). The board will tell him to continue and try to improve things and they'll review on a month to month basis. I doubt wether he has the ability to get us to the top six and when that happens (or should I say doesn't happen), then that will definitely be the time when the club calls a halt on this mess. It could happen sooner than the new year if it appears we are slipping too far behind a top six finish. I have little to no confidence in the management team, just for the record.

truehibernian
11-08-2013, 07:06 PM
Mmmm what will the Board do........the OP asks a good question - however given Rod Petrie hasnt ever graced the fans forum that was set up, I think that kind of says it all. I was intrigued to hear this week that Mr Petrie was 'persuaded not to' publish an apology after Malmo because the Board felt the media would just inflame it - you know what Rod, you're super quick to come out after the Calderwood saga to 'put things straight', you are also super quick to ask for season tickets and fans attendance at crucial games, yet when really, when the push comes to shove, and the actual supporters of Hibernian want an apology, you yet again hide behind an excuse - the media, the time of the month, blah blah blah.

Another thing that has annoyed me - this fall out with S43 and the fans because of 'corporate funding' - am I following the same bloody football club as these guys ? Would whoever took umbrage to a corporate sponsor care a jot if Philip Green came in and bought Leigh from Wolves ? Do they even care that the guy that bought us owned bloody Kwik Fit ?

Absolutely cements the problems at Hibernian - we think we are better than we are, and we accept mediocrity. There is no winning mentality - there is no 'supporter unity' - we almost always look to self combust and look for reasons to fail. In typical Scottish fashion - the 'Hibs Way' isn't glorious football - it's glorious mediocrity sprinkled with failure and the sounds of bottles crashing and almost gleefully waiting for some kind of failure or negativity. Nid was right on the radio yesterday (other than his prediction :wink:) - you need to be at Hibs to understand the 'problems'.

So my message - Sect 43 and the fans - if you are truly and I mean truly fans, then sort yourselves out because the club comes first. Unless it's a war criminal funding the bloody flags, I don't care if it's Sainsbury's, Waitrose or Tattie Shaw's. Get a bloody grip of yourselves.

Players - do your talking on the pitch, not Twitter, not talk about so called 'fitness gurus' - you are professional athletes and it shouldn't have taken until now to see 'the light'. Stay off bevvy, stay off fags, stay at work and practice practice practice, and hey, you might actually make footballers. Clancy - injured my erchie - if you really want to play football, you must have the most niggling of niggly groin injuries known to pro football - certainly doesn't stop you talking utter **** on your daughter's Twitter account and being so unprofessional in any other job you'd be fined/called to task.

The Board - if you truly see players like Callum Booth, Lewis Stevenson and Paul Hanlon as the future of Hibernian Football Club, then step aside - none are winners, absolutely none of them.

The manager - if you think pro managers in the EPL, Championship, even Scottish League 2, go to the pub every night (which you do more often than not Patrick) then that for me sums up the 'professionalism' at Hibernian Football Club. Others I know would be watching Rymens League games on a night off on the wee off chance that we might uncover a nugget of football ability.

That is what I hope the Board are going to sit down and digest in light of today's utter capitulation to Hearts Under 20's today :agree:

Hibernian Football Club - a charity that just keeps giving and giving - to the wrong cause :cb

Weir7
11-08-2013, 07:09 PM

There is no board. There is rod petrie. He's the boss. What he says goes. If you don't agree your out the door.

If decides who gets signed not the manager.

Petrie isn't a man of leadership.

If you want change attack farmer and petrie, they don't like bad publicity.

gegs70
11-08-2013, 07:21 PM
To be honest he has brought in players but some of them came in too late, we dont in my opinion have enough attacking options and knowing this, brought in vine 1 wk before the malmo game! In some ways he has not resolved issue through the very core of the team! 2 cup finals that we barely turned up for, and the Malmo game that embarressed me......sorry Im in their must be someone better tactically and who can find some decent young players!!

jdships
11-08-2013, 08:09 PM
OP writes a good post :agree:
The serious question now is WHERE DOES THE CLUB GO FROM HERE ?
I mean Owner,Directors ,Manager ,Staff ,Supporters et al
I have never ever openly criticised any of our managers in the past but sadly now I feel I have to say my piece .
This club has " flaffed" about for the past decade for what reason is not really clear but nevertheless we are now , due to a succession of poor management decisions ( both appointment and on the field ), in potentially a worse position than we have been for some time
Next managerial appointment has to be a man with management skills and a track record at a higher level than the SPL
This has to happen quickly or the season will be over before it starts . We can't afford to give ICT a six/nine point start for 2nd/3rd place

I know from what I hear coming from EM's PF is liked as a man BUT the results speak for themselves

I have clocked up 73 years supporting this club with family members having played for the "Green and White" and I think I am entitled to a better show on the park in the autumn of my life than I am getting at present !!:wink:

Come on Petrie " FIX IT" just for me - pleaseeeeeeee:greengrin

" Gie the ba' tae Reilly " If only , if only

Alfred E Newman
11-08-2013, 08:26 PM
To be honest he has brought in players but some of them came in too late, we dont in my opinion have enough attacking options and knowing this, brought in vine 1 wk before the malmo game! In some ways he has not resolved issue through the very core of the team! 2 cup finals that we barely turned up for, and the Malmo game that embarressed me......sorry Im in their must be someone better tactically and who can find some decent young players!!

The board get heavily criticised but Fenlon has been allowed to bring in over 20 players, some of reasonable ability, yet there is no shape or balance to the squad and an alarming lack of pace.

hfc rd
11-08-2013, 08:30 PM
They'll do nothing and agree with PF that we were unlucky today. Everything to them seems that things are going well.

Weir7
11-08-2013, 08:34 PM
The board get heavily criticised but Fenlon has been allowed to bring in over 20 players, some of reasonable ability, yet there is no shape or balance to the squad and an alarming lack of pace.

Spot on. Another manager with an unbalanced squad. That's why we need a director of footie to work with manager to shape squad so this doesn't keep happening.

HibbyAndy
11-08-2013, 08:35 PM
Hibs will fight it out with Hearts for relegation..We have shown nothing to suggest otherwise.

Hoof ball team that cant string 2 passes together.

We create absolute zero chances and are in general pish.

We have went backwards under PF.

Shields Hibee
11-08-2013, 08:44 PM
When's the AGM planned for? That could see the end of Fenlon as Petrie won't want to be asked questions.

Interim, go silent or come out & say they realise the situation is concerning but continue to back Fenlon.

Not enough striking options & umpteen midfielders are the basis of Fenlon's recruitment philosophy, the board should scrutinise every player he wants to bring in before deadline day.

IberianHibernian
11-08-2013, 09:13 PM
Pretty sure Pat has been limited in signing targets by club ( especially recently and understandably given reaction of many fans after Malmo result ) and am amazed that any fans think Petrie or someone else don`t control signings . We have an unbalanced squad as Pat knows as well as anyone . There are still several weeks of transfer window while in other years we`ve been flapping about at the end of August trying to sign .

gegs70
11-08-2013, 09:39 PM

Yes I agree I think he will have till xmas but potentially another lost season

Thecat23
11-08-2013, 09:43 PM
Spot on. Another manager with an unbalanced squad. That's why we need a director of footie to work with manager to shape squad so this doesn't keep happening.

Who's to say we pick a decent DOF? Christ our board can't pick a good manager I'd hate to think who we'd get in as DOF.... Prob Tommy McLean knowing us!!!

gegs70
11-08-2013, 10:01 PM
Who's to say we pick a decent DOF? Christ our board can't pick a good manager I'd hate to think who we'd get in as DOF.... Prob Tommy McLean knowing us!!!

What would be the point of a DOF with a manager that isnt entirely clear on what he is doing?

Thecat23
11-08-2013, 10:02 PM
What would be the point of a DOF with a manager that isnt entirely clear on what he is doing?

That's what I'm saying, would be the blind leading the blind. We don't need a DOF, we just need to pick a good manager. Really how hard can that be??

Castle Hibs
11-08-2013, 10:06 PM
I don't think he will be sacked this week but I don't think he has the ability to turn things around so it will happen sometime before the end of the year. We should have seen a change to the way we play after the Malmo game but he still sends the team out the same way. He does not have anything else to offer and it looks like the players have lost faith in him.

The Sea-gull
12-08-2013, 09:12 AM
The board find themselves having to at least discuss the future of yet another manager. On face of results, performances, mood of the fans and general mood associated with the club it would appear to be an easy decision but the time that they have to make the decision at makes it difficult.

1. Do they stick with their man and allow him time to get his players to gel as well as allow him the chance to bring in one or two more before the transfer window closes?

Risk of doing this is that more points are lost, more confidence is lost and more figures off home gates are lost. This also means that if they hold off and he doesn't perform any better, the new man comes in at a time where we are an even bigger mess making it more difficult to salvage and outwith the transfer window it will be more difficult to shed the wage bill and bring in players even if there are free agents around.

2. Do they sack him right now thus allowing the new man time to shuffle the pack a little and get to work with the squad before too much damage is done.

I really wanted to at least give Pat until it looked like he was not going to get us into the top 6 this season. I am just surprised and dissappointed that point seems to have come so soon in the season.

It is difficult but if I were the board I would go with the second option, do it today and make a move for someone new. Any board worth its salt will surely have an idea of who they want to go for if a change was required. Pat's tenure has been such that he has never fully convinced and there must be at least a couple of board mmebers who have discussed names as possible replacements.

Onion
12-08-2013, 09:20 AM
The board find themselves having to at least discuss the future of yet another manager. On face of results, performances, mood of the fans and general mood associated with the club it would appear to be an easy decision but the time that they have to make the decision at makes it difficult.

1. Do they stick with their man and allow him time to get his players to gel as well as allow him the chance to bring in one or two more before the transfer window closes?

Risk of doing this is that more points are lost, more confidence is lost and more figures off home gates are lost. This also means that if they hold off and he doesn't perform any better, the new man comes in at a time where we are an even bigger mess making it more difficult to salvage and outwith the transfer window it will be more difficult to shed the wage bill and bring in players even if there are free agents around.

2. Do they sack him right now thus allowing the new man time to shuffle the pack a little and get to work with the squad before too much damage is done.

I really wanted to at least give Pat until it looked like he was not going to get us into the top 6 this season. I am just surprised and dissappointed that point seems to have come so soon in the season.

It is difficult but if I were the board I would go with the second option, do it today and make a move for someone new. Any board worth its salt will surely have an idea of who they want to go for if a change was required. Pat's tenure has been such that he has never fully convinced and there must be at least a couple of board mmebers who have discussed names as possible replacements.

Normally, a manager could buy his way out of this kind of mess (if given the money) but I would not trust Fenlon with a penny more. You could give him the pick of the SPLs top players and he STILL wouldn't know what to do with them. The Board have bank rolled this guy with money that other SPL managers can only dream of and his team looks as far away from winning as Calderdud's.

Pedantic_Hibee
12-08-2013, 09:24 AM
Normally, a manager could buy his way out of this kind of mess (if given the money) but I would not trust Fenlon with a penny more. You could give him the pick of the SPLs top players and he STILL wouldn't know what to do with them. The Board have bank rolled this guy with money that other SPL managers can only dream of and his team looks as far away from winning as Calderdud's.

I trust Fenlon more than any other previous manager with money, he's assembled what is a great squad but doesn't know what to do with them.

It's like giving me £300k and me *****ing it on a Lamborghini Aventador when in reality, I've got a bus pass and struggle to out a seat belt on.

Waxy
12-08-2013, 09:24 AM
Is that a board statement? ;)

steakbake
12-08-2013, 09:27 AM
It's a difficult decision but we have a well paid board. This isn't the local amateur football team board having to make a difficult decision which takes a different skill set from their usual 9/5 jobs. They're paid to manage a professional football club and business and that includes having the courage of their convictions in making a business decision.

Liberal Hibby
12-08-2013, 09:33 AM

I really wanted to at least give Pat until it looked like he was not going to get us into the top 6 this season. I am just surprised and disappointed that point seems to have come so soon in the season.

I'd like to see a third. I think Fenlon has bought some decent players who ought to be making more of an impact than they are. We all seem to agree that it isn't the players who are at fault it is tactics and coaching. So we should employ a 'head coach' rather than a manager and put the emphasis on getting the best out of the current squad rather than tearing it up and replacing it in what's left of this and the next transfer window - we've been doing that for about five years to little effect.

If we can't have managerial stability - let's try and have stability of playing staff and getting the best out of them.

jeffers
12-08-2013, 09:34 AM
I trust Fenlon more than any other previous manager with money, he's assembled what is a great squad but doesn't know what to do with them.

It's like giving me £300k and me *****ing it on a Lamborghini Aventador when in reality, I've got a bus pass and struggle to out a seat belt on.

Bit in bold, sorry PH, can't agree. Individually most of the players he has signed are OK to good. But a great squad or even team ? Not for me. We have the slowest team in the league, have no creativity and (so far anyway) no strikers who look like clinical finishers. Too many central midfielders of a similar style, not enough cover at right back.....

Billy Whizz
12-08-2013, 09:34 AM
It's a difficult decision but we have a well paid board. This isn't the local amateur football team board having to make a difficult decision which takes a different skill set from their usual 9/5 jobs. They're paid to manage a professional football club and business and that includes having the courage of their convictions in making a business decision.

Have we a well paid board? Thought Petrie wasn't taking a salary, and most of the others are Non Exec's on a part time basis

Speedway
12-08-2013, 10:31 AM
What will the board do.

With any luck, Rod's agenda for today is:

- Have meeting and agree terms with new manager

- Arrange meeting for tomorrow to agree severance terms with existing manager.

- Advise legal department of all changes

- Go home.

NORTHERNHIBBY
12-08-2013, 10:35 AM
They will probably take a view that the fans are to blame for not coming through the gates in larger numbers, and then ask what the question was.

Hermit Crab
12-08-2013, 10:40 AM

It hasn't happened yet.

Speedway
12-08-2013, 10:48 AM

Which year?

Makaveli
12-08-2013, 10:52 AM
Apologies for posting my thoughts.

When my life reaches a low point I'll spend time trawling through others' posts for inaccuracies. :agree:

Crazyhorse
12-08-2013, 12:15 PM

Precisely, we went down that route with Duff Jimmy and it was just another wage bill - had no effect on the downward spiral. We also went down the route of getting an assistant in with Calderwood and that didn't work so I'm not sure if having Jimmy Nic is going to do any good either. To be honest I don't think Petrie has a clue what to do when things start to slide like this.

The Sea-gull
12-08-2013, 04:07 PM
Not surprised there has been no announcement as yet. If he is to be bulleted, recent history shows Hibs usually take a day or two.

Calderwood - Beat on the Sat, sacking announced on the Sunday night.

Hughes - Beat on the Sat, sacking announced on the Monday morning.

Fenlon's game was on the Sunday so I would suggest it will be this evening/tomorrow morning before they are in a position to announce anything. Must take a bit of time to draw up and sign all the legal papers.

That is if they have anything to annouce at all. They may stick by their man.

Pretty Boy
12-08-2013, 04:10 PM
The longer it goes, the more I believe he will stay on as manager.

Looks like i'm going to have a few free Saturdays coming up.

SneakersO'Toole
12-08-2013, 04:10 PM
I think they (the board) will stick with him for a few more games yet. 3 at least.

It makes no odds whether its 3 or the whole season, we are regressing under PF. No question. Ger rid now!

Allant1981
12-08-2013, 04:13 PM
As much as i now think it needs to happen i dont think it will. I think he will be here until at least christmas

The Sea-gull
12-08-2013, 04:15 PM
If we get rid now and make a swift appointment the new man would have three weeks to ship in and ship out some players.

Some of our players just signed one year deals/may not have much left so it might not be that much of a task to move folk on and free up some wages.

Greenblood70
12-08-2013, 04:16 PM
I think the board are hoping the pressure will force Fenlon to resign. Similar to the Mexican standoff we had with Calderwood when it was clear he was a lame duck manager.

Utterly depressing and so predictable from our spineless board.

Steve20
12-08-2013, 04:16 PM
He shouldn't have even been here for the Hearts game, never mind a day later. But it looks like he's not getting sacked, so we're stuck with him.

Emerald
12-08-2013, 04:17 PM
I think they (the board) will stick with him for a few more games yet. 3 at least.

It makes no odds whether its 3 or the whole season, we are regressing under PF. No question. Ger rid now!

So they don't need to give a new manager any money in the transfer window which will be closed, or am I being cynical. :agree:

franco
12-08-2013, 04:20 PM
It was easy enough for them to get rid of sauzee so why is it not the case with the imposters who followed him

The Sea-gull
12-08-2013, 04:21 PM
I think the board are hoping the pressure will force Fenlon to resign. Similar to the Mexican standoff we had with Calderwood when it was clear he was a lame duck manager.

Did Calderwood resign in the end? I thought he was sacked.

As far as I can remember, we started off really bad with CC that season then we picked up a wee bit. Then we started to go a wee bit rubbish again before being absolutely horsed by Celtic in the league cup 4-1 going on 9 or 10. Then straw that broke everything was losing to Dunfermline.

Don't really remember a big clamour for CC to go until we lost vs the Pars and then the board acted really quickly.

Looking back actually, CC maybe had a couple job saving results just as he was about to be punted. A shoot out win at Motherwell springs to mind. Coming back from 3-1 down at home to Dundee United to draw. A 0-0 draw at Parkhead days after we had been well and truly humped by them at ER in the cup. Everyone feared we'd get a severe doing after the way the league cup game went.

Beefster
12-08-2013, 04:23 PM
If we get rid now and make a swift appointment the new man would have three weeks to ship in and ship out some players.

Some of our players just signed one year deals/may not have much left so it might not be that much of a task to move folk on and free up some wages.

I don't think the squad is in that bad shape. Another couple of players in the right position should see us challenging for Europe under a capable manager.

Hibbyradge
12-08-2013, 04:24 PM

I'll sign you on at Turnhouse.

The Sea-gull
12-08-2013, 04:54 PM
Did Calderwood resign in the end? I thought he was sacked.

As far as I can remember, we started off really bad with CC that season then we picked up a wee bit. Then we started to go a wee bit rubbish again before being absolutely horsed by Celtic in the league cup 4-1 going on 9 or 10. Then straw that broke everything was losing to Dunfermline.

Don't really remember a big clamour for CC to go until we lost vs the Pars and then the board acted really quickly.

Looking back actually, CC maybe had a couple job saving results just as he was about to be punted. A shoot out win at Motherwell springs to mind. Coming back from 3-1 down at home to Dundee United to draw. A 0-0 draw at Parkhead days after we had been well and truly humped by them at ER in the cup. Everyone feared we'd get a severe doing after the way the league cup game went.

Replying to my own post here but had a look at things at the start of 2011/12. Memory refreshed.

July 2011

He lost at home to Celtic first game 0-2. No big deal really but from what I can remember it was a poor performance.

Got a win up at ICT - first time we had ever won up there. A bit of positivity.

August 2011

Next up, humped by Killie 4-1 at Rugby park. Terrible performance. Natives get restless.

Throw away a 1-0 lead to get beat by St Mirren 2-1 at ER. Pressure mounts.

Lose a derby 2-0 at Tynie with an abject performance (nowt new there). Pressure increases and the sack was looming ahead of the international break but Hibs hold firm.

Sep 2011

Returns from international break and we are invloved in one of the worst SPL games of all time - 0-0 at home to Aberdeen. We were all resigned by this point that if he wasn't sacked before transfer window closed and international break then we were stuck with him for a bit so not too much calling for his head.

Throw away a 2-0 lead to draw 2-2 away to Dunfermline. Pressure back on. Rumours that League cup defeat by Motherwell would end him.

Beats Motherwell in cup on pens.

Come from 3-1 down to draw Dundee United with Dundee United. Many starting to get impressed by a fight about the team.

Beat St Johnstone 3-2 at ER. Calls for his head gone.

October 2011

Lose 1-0 at Ibrox. Not a criminal offence.

Lose 1-0 at home to Motherwell. Wee bit of promise starting to disappear.

Win 3-2 at St Mirren after taking the lead then going 2-1 down. Wee bit of fight evident again.

Humped 4-1 by Celtic in leage cup. Really out played.

Trip to Parkhead on the Saturday and rumours a humping would see him go. Draw 0-0, he lives to fight another week.

November 2011

First Saturday of the month loses at home to Pars, the only team below us in the league. Sacked on the Sunday night.

What I am trying to say in a long drawn out way is that if we keep Pat, there could be a few glimmers of false hope over the next few weeks but I fear another CC situation where we waste months of the season flogging a dead horse when if we act now we can still go on and have a good season.

We stuck by CC for 14 games. That is 36% of the season. Sticking by him led to us only avoiding relegation in the second last game of the season. Do that again this year and it would be a play off. Would you fancy us against a hungry first division team?

I'm not saying a play off spot would be guarunteed if Pat stayed but it would be a huge possibility and there is recent precedent for hanging on to a manager that the vast majority of the support, fans of other teams and the media have long declared a dud.

Sudds_1
12-08-2013, 04:59 PM

me too. I won't be back while he's in charge.

skoop
12-08-2013, 05:08 PM
the guy should never have been given the job in the first place. who is he? what had he achieved to merit a managerial position at a massive club like Hibs? once bulleted he will disappear of the footballing planet. it'll be a good day once he goes, however i expect the board to replace him with another diddy no-mark. i also believe our problems run much, much deeper than merely replacing the manager.

Allant1981
12-08-2013, 05:12 PM
the guy should never have been given the job in the first place. who is he? what had he achieved to merit a managerial position at a massive club like Hibs? once bulleted he will disappear of the footballing planet. it'll be a good day once he goes, however i expect the board to replace him with another diddy no-mark. i also believe our problems run much, much deeper than merely replacing the manager.

Apart from winning cups and league titles in another country then nothing, i love the club as much as the next person but we are not a massive club, we are a small club in a terrible league and on paper he was a good appointment for us, just hasnt worked out that well

Part/Time Supporter
12-08-2013, 05:36 PM
Post Malmo - no comment

Post derby - no comment

Does Petrie really think that if he sticks his head in the sand that everything will pan out okay?

I know he's a jambo, but Stuart Bathgate may have hit on something when he said that Petrie couldn't "afford" to sack Fenlon. Not in the sense of Hibs being unable financially to sack him, as Fenlon has less than a year on his contract and won't be on a massive wage. More in the sense that Petrie, having sacked the last two managers, must be thinking that sacking Fenlon wouldn't ease the pressure on him.

Fenlon won't resign because he won't get another job in Britain based on what he has done to date at Hibs. So now we have the delightful situation where he probably won't be sacked, he definitely won't resign and Petrie won't communicate with the fans.

truehibernian
12-08-2013, 05:40 PM
Post Malmo - no comment

Post derby - no comment

Does Petrie really think that if he sticks his head in the sand that everything will pan out okay?

I know he's a jambo, but Stuart Bathgate may have hit on something when he said that Petrie couldn't "afford" to sack Fenlon. Not in the sense of Hibs being unable financially to sack him, as Fenlon has less than a year on his contract and won't be on a massive wage. More in the sense that Petrie, having sacked the last two managers, must be thinking that sacking Fenlon wouldn't ease the pressure on him.

Fenlon won't resign because he won't get another job in Britain based on what he has done to date at Hibs. So now we have the delightful situation where he probably won't be sacked, he definitely won't resign and Petrie won't communicate with the fans.

I absolutely share the same frustrations as you PTS - I got chatting to someone today who was in conversation with STF after Malmo (home game) and he (my friend) gets the impression all these results and 'performances' will not be tolerated. It was an interesting chat and have to say, STF actually does appear to be monitoring things more closely than a lot of us may think.

Col2
12-08-2013, 10:23 PM
Live media conference and tell us how it is and how wrong we all are.

I can't believe after being at work all day I log in to see no Fenlon leaving chat, no board statement, absolutely nothing. Just can't believe it. 7k max on Saturday Rodders.

Saorsa
12-08-2013, 10:28 PM
Mair chance o' seeing Lord Lucan

AlbertK86
12-08-2013, 10:28 PM
Rod will continue with the usual silence

Until the pressure mounts and mounts and just before the AGM he will sack Fenlon in an effort to deflect attention from his massive shortcomings as a leader

He is a one man band with a massive ego and does not give a F*** about the fans

hibee19
12-08-2013, 11:09 PM
Rod will continue with the usual silence

Until the pressure mounts and mounts and just before the AGM he will sack Fenlon in an effort to deflect attention from his massive shortcomings as a leader

He is a one man band with a massive ego and does not give a F*** about the fans

I began to think after him not being sacked today he wasn't going to be right now. I have a feeling though it might happen on Wednesday, the media will be distracted by Scotland-England and Petrie won't be scrutinised as much as he would be at any other time.

MWHIBBIES
12-08-2013, 11:31 PM
rod will continue with the usual silence

until the pressure mounts and mounts and just before the agm he will sack fenlon in an effort to deflect attention from his massive shortcomings as a leader

he is a one man band with a massive ego and does not give a f*** about the fansfact

Shields Hibee
12-08-2013, 11:37 PM
I genuinely think Fenlon will be out before the AGM unless he can get results & start playing decent football at a rapid pace. Rod won't have to answers questions then about how bad the playing side, low crowds at ER & he can sit there telling everyone's pleased with the work he's done on balancing the books.

Newhaven
12-08-2013, 11:43 PM

I can't believe after being at work all day I log in to see no Fenlon leaving chat, no board statement, absolutely nothing. Just can't believe it. 7k max on Saturday Rodders.

Eh... buy a season ticket, buy a strip, play the hibs lotto, all is fine and we back the manager. Sound familiar?

Shields Hibee
12-08-2013, 11:49 PM
They will tell us to come along on Sat & how we can buy tickets etc, they wouldn't say anything about how bad the club is at present.

Buy a strip but they dont tell you that the club shop may not have your size. It had next to nothing in a Large in Nike training gear at the Well game last Sunday. Luckily I got my h&a shirts soon after they were released.

majorhibs
13-08-2013, 04:26 AM

Of course Rod Petrie has ignored all the Hibs supporters, as before, he has a superior knowledge obviously, he is in control. and does things HIS way, us supporters, minions, cannot possibly see things from such an elevated position as THE CHAIRMAN and therefore should shut up & put up with seeing our team not only beat every week, but without even having a shot on the oppositions goal! & if you dont like it, tough, same as when I think 99 percent Hibs fans were elated when a club came in to take Calderwood of Hibs hands for free, but Petrie said NO! Who is mr Rod Petrie acting for nowadays. Cos to me, it certainly aint the best interests of Hibernian FC

Leithenhibby
13-08-2013, 05:12 AM
Of course Rod Petrie has ignored all the Hibs supporters, as before, he has a superior knowledge obviously, he is in control. and does things HIS way, us supporters, minions, cannot possibly see things from such an elevated position as THE CHAIRMAN and therefore should shut up & put up with seeing our team not only beat every week, but without even having a shot on the oppositions goal! & if you dont like it, tough, same as when I think 99 percent Hibs fans were elated when a club came in to take Calderwood of Hibs hands for free, but Petrie said NO! Who is mr Rod Petrie acting for nowadays. Cos to me, it certainly aint the best interests of Hibernian FC

He does own a 10% stake in the club, so Id say he will try and do what is right for the club!. What you won't get is him buckling under pressure from the media or any fans forum. :agree:

It's not what RP does. In many ways I'm glad, as what we have always got from RP is a strong Chairman who stands up for what he believes to be best for HFC, and doesn't get bullied. Whether we agree or disagree, he has negotiated some wonderful deals for our club.

I just think we need to be careful what we wish for!............

Part/Time Supporter
13-08-2013, 05:19 AM
He does own a 10% stake in the club, so Id say he will try and do what is right for the club!. What you won't get is him buckling under pressure from the media or any fans forum. :agree:

It's not what RP does. In many ways I'm glad, as what we have always got from RP is a strong Chairman who stands up for what he believes to be best for HFC, and doesn't get bullied. Whether we agree or disagree, he has negotiated some wonderful deals for our club.

Is the current "head in sand" approach in the best interests of Hibernian FC, or the best interests of Rod Petrie?

hibbymick
13-08-2013, 05:22 AM
[/B]

its just a pity he hasn't negotiated many wonderful managers. Any ideas as to how much cash he's cost the club in manager "leaving by mutual consent" partings ?

Leithenhibby
13-08-2013, 05:38 AM
Is the current "head in sand" approach in the best interests of Hibernian FC, or the best interests of Rod Petrie?

I can't see how he would not do what (he thinks) is best for the club.

My head is well above the parapet and I want what everyone else wants, but lets no implode!.. The club needs fixing there is no doubt, my big worry is the way that fans are becoming "lynch mob" like.

Hiber-nation
13-08-2013, 06:12 AM

My head is well above the parapet and I want what everyone else wants, but lets no implode!.. The club needs fixing there is no doubt, my big worry is the way that fans are becoming "lynch mob" like.

My biggest worry is that the fans aren't anything resembling a lynch mob.

Gatecrasher
13-08-2013, 06:20 AM
I have to admit I'm surprised he's still here, I don't think I've seen such a big reaction from our support before. IMO this is only going to get worse for him.

Leithenhibby
13-08-2013, 06:20 AM
My biggest worry is that the fans aren't anything resembling a lynch mob.

Way too many fans are making comments that are personal and are uncalled for. "lynch mob" (like) is perhaps a tad ott, all I'm looking for is constructive measures that get our club back on a level Keel....

Shouting, finger pointing and personal insults will achieve nothing!.....

Saorsa
13-08-2013, 06:32 AM

My head is well above the parapet and I want what everyone else wants, but lets no implode!.. The club needs fixing there is no doubt, my big worry is the way that fans are becoming "lynch mob" like.Is what he thinks is best working? Is it ****, time tae move on before he sucks the life out of this club and kills the passion completely for even the most die hard of fans. Thousands have been driven away, how many mair have tae be?

And Petrie isnae the man tae do it, we been on the slide since 2007 and he has failed tae halt it, failure efter, failure, efter failure. And efter every failure he goes in tae hiding hoping it will blow over before he has tae do anything about it, if there's any good news he always manages tae get his smug puss in there but failure and you cannae see him for dust. Strong leader, my erse. Mair like the captain of the titanic. How many people have already carried the can for his **** ups? Leaderless, directionless and ambitionless describes this club perfectly under the current regime.

Leith Bloke EH6
13-08-2013, 07:07 AM
A Board with only one decision maker who,s early sporting passion was rugger is a recipe for failure. RBS and Goodwin. That one didn't,t turn out so well,

NOLA
13-08-2013, 07:11 AM
He's a dead man walking, whens the Agm?

PeterboroHibee
13-08-2013, 07:21 AM
I have to admit I'm surprised he's still here, I don't think I've seen such a big reaction from our support before. IMO this is only going to get worse for him.

Im also quite surprised. I was speaking to a few non-Hibs supporting mates after the derby and they also expected him to be gone by now (so its not just us that feel this way). The only reason I can think of for not sacking him is they dont want to part with the cash to pay him off.

Saorsa
13-08-2013, 07:24 AM
Im also quite surprised. I was speaking to a few non-Hibs supporting mates after the derby and they also expected him to be gone by now (so its not just us that feel this way). The only reason I can think of for not sacking him is they dont want to part with the cash to pay him off.I've got another one, the same reason Petrie nailed his colours tae the mast of the sinking ship of colin deadwood and insisted he was the man for the job (even despite him trying tae engineer his own way out the door), they dinnae want tae admit tae ****in' up yet again. They'll hide and hope it goes away.

Leithenhibby
13-08-2013, 07:29 AM
Is what he thinks is best working? Is it ****, time tae move on before he sucks the life out of this club and kills the passion completely for even the most die hard of fans. Thousands have been driven away, how many mair have tae be?

And what would be your plan? Keeping it constructive :wink: Do you have a new Chairman & Manager lined up? Thousands have been driven away, but that's nothing new at ER. Long before STF and RP came along we were more than capable of driving fans away!..........

And Petrie isnae the man tae do it, we been on the slide since 2007 and he has failed tae halt it, failure efter, failure, efter failure. And efter every failure he goes in tae hiding hoping it will blow over before he has tae do anything about it, if there's any good news he always manages tae get his smug puss in there but failure and you cannae see him for dust. Strong leader, my erse. Mair like the captain of the titanic. How many people have already carried the can for his **** ups? Leaderless, directionless and ambitionless describes this club perfectly under the current regime.

In today's game you need money, and lots of it. I think for a club the size of HFC we tread water and nothing more. I'm not happy to do that, but that is how it's going to be unless you want lots of debt. STF was never going to throw money at us and he as good as said from day one.

Perhaps the board have taken us as far as they can, perhaps it's time to change everything and start a fresh. I'm just not convinced that is the way to go!......

Saorsa
13-08-2013, 07:33 AM
In today's game you need money, and lots of it. I think for a club the size of HFC we tread water and nothing more. I'm not happy to do that, but that is how it's going to be unless you want lots of debt. STF was never going to throw money at us and he as good as said from day one.

Perhaps the board have taken us as far as they can, perhaps it's time to change everything and start a fresh. I'm just not convinced that is the way to go!......A lot of people who defend Petrie seem tae think it's his way or the h****s/Leeds way with nothing in between (it's a pathetic defence TBH if that's the best they can come up with) yet we are constantly being out performed by clubs in this league with less resources and who spend less than we do. It's no all about money, it's as much about leadership and direction and we have none. We shouldnae need tae spend mair than we do tae do better than we do against these teams.

greenpaper55
13-08-2013, 07:33 AM

Perhaps the board have taken us as far as they can, perhaps it's time to change everything and start a fresh. I'm just not convinced that is the way to go!......

So we have to live with more of the same until those at the top decide they have had enough ?, i think you will find the support has had enough long before they go !.

Leithenhibby
13-08-2013, 07:37 AM
We are constantly being out performed by clubs in this league with less resources and who spend less than we do.

When we had Donald Park in charge of the youth set-up it was all rosy.............

Perhaps it's a new scouting system that's lacking. I can't see us finding another Donald Park any time soon. :wink:

steakbake
13-08-2013, 07:45 AM
Mmmm what will the Board do........the OP asks a good question - however given Rod Petrie hasnt ever graced the fans forum that was set up, I think that kind of says it all. I was intrigued to hear this week that Mr Petrie was 'persuaded not to' publish an apology after Malmo because the Board felt the media would just inflame it - you know what Rod, you're super quick to come out after the Calderwood saga to 'put things straight', you are also super quick to ask for season tickets and fans attendance at crucial games, yet when really, when the push comes to shove, and the actual supporters of Hibernian want an apology, you yet again hide behind an excuse - the media, the time of the month, blah blah blah.

Another thing that has annoyed me - this fall out with S43 and the fans because of 'corporate funding' - am I following the same bloody football club as these guys ? Would whoever took umbrage to a corporate sponsor care a jot if Philip Green came in and bought Leigh from Wolves ? Do they even care that the guy that bought us owned bloody Kwik Fit ?

Absolutely cements the problems at Hibernian - we think we are better than we are, and we accept mediocrity. There is no winning mentality - there is no 'supporter unity' - we almost always look to self combust and look for reasons to fail. In typical Scottish fashion - the 'Hibs Way' isn't glorious football - it's glorious mediocrity sprinkled with failure and the sounds of bottles crashing and almost gleefully waiting for some kind of failure or negativity. Nid was right on the radio yesterday (other than his prediction :wink:) - you need to be at Hibs to understand the 'problems'.

So my message - Sect 43 and the fans - if you are truly and I mean truly fans, then sort yourselves out because the club comes first. Unless it's a war criminal funding the bloody flags, I don't care if it's Sainsbury's, Waitrose or Tattie Shaw's. Get a bloody grip of yourselves.

Players - do your talking on the pitch, not Twitter, not talk about so called 'fitness gurus' - you are professional athletes and it shouldn't have taken until now to see 'the light'. Stay off bevvy, stay off fags, stay at work and practice practice practice, and hey, you might actually make footballers. Clancy - injured my erchie - if you really want to play football, you must have the most niggling of niggly groin injuries known to pro football - certainly doesn't stop you talking utter **** on your daughter's Twitter account and being so unprofessional in any other job you'd be fined/called to task.

The Board - if you truly see players like Callum Booth, Lewis Stevenson and Paul Hanlon as the future of Hibernian Football Club, then step aside - none are winners, absolutely none of them.

The manager - if you think pro managers in the EPL, Championship, even Scottish League 2, go to the pub every night (which you do more often than not Patrick) then that for me sums up the 'professionalism' at Hibernian Football Club. Others I know would be watching Rymens League games on a night off on the wee off chance that we might uncover a nugget of football ability.

That is what I hope the Board are going to sit down and digest in light of today's utter capitulation to Hearts Under 20's today :agree:

Hibernian Football Club - a charity that just keeps giving and giving - to the wrong cause :cb

Excellent post. Sounds like you've given this a huge amount if thought!

There are none so blind as those who will not see.

Weir7
13-08-2013, 08:38 AM
When we had Donald Park in charge of the youth set-up it was all rosy.............

Perhaps it's a new scouting system that's lacking. I can't see us finding another Donald Park any time soon. :wink:

Donald Park works for SFA pissed off with the treatment off Rod. Sacked about 4 times because people like Jim Duffy wanted him out.

Ask any of the golden generation and its Parky they give credit to. He is a massive loss to Hibs

offshorehibby
13-08-2013, 08:39 AM

Although Donald Park done a lot of great work with the youths i think it was John Park that found a lot of the golden generation.

Weir7
13-08-2013, 08:42 AM

We play in the SPL you don't need lots of cash. As a business we generate plenty to have a good entertaing team.

Weir7
13-08-2013, 08:43 AM
Although Donald Park done a lot of great work with the youths i think it was John Park that found a lot of the golden generation.
That is not true. John park had nothing to do with it.

J-C
13-08-2013, 08:46 AM
That is not true. John park had nothing to do with it.

Pretty sure I remember hearing it was John Park who found most of the golden generation and Donald was also a main reason due to his coaching of them, since John Park went to Celtic the very good youngsters seem to have dried up.

GreenPJ
13-08-2013, 09:04 AM
Whatever Petrie's faults, wanting Hibs to fail or stagnate is not one of them. That is not in Hibs interests or indeed Petrie's either from an emotional or financial perspective.

Perhaps he doesn't know how to get out of the current malaise and his ego is struggling to let someone else come in and take key footballing decisions and that of course is a failing that he needs to address.

The board when they appointed Mowbray got lucky (as every appointment is a gamble) but Mowbray had a vision for the club not just the first eam - the upward spiral that people and players (and the board) seemed to buy into. I have no doubt JC also had a vision for the club beyond the first team but never had the chance to expand on that.

I think when looking at managers/structure of the club they need to consider the bigger vision that a manager could bring and not just about the footballing philosophy for the first team as being the key criteria for appointment.

--------
13-08-2013, 09:09 AM
Since Mowbray left we've seen Collins, Paatelainen, Hughes, Calderwood and now Fenlon come to the club, struggle to turn things around, and leave.

Either those five men are among the worst football managers in the game, or there's something more fundamental wrong at Easter Road.

I have no idea what the Board WILL do, but I know what they SHOULD do.

RESIGN. NOW. ALL OF THEM.

And Farmer should waken up, smell the coffee, and remember that Hibs exist for the fans, not the other way round.

PatHead
13-08-2013, 09:19 AM
Just wondering if Rod is away down to Wembley for a wee jolly with the SFA. Gives him the excuse to stay out of things until he gets back. The other point is that most businessmen will sleep on things rather than diving in to a decision which they regret. It may well be that he has asked Pat how he is going to turn things around and he wants a meeting on Thursday then things happen on his return. Still doesn't excuse a statement though. Absolute piece of nonsense that no-one cares about the fans enough to say something, even if it is just sorry this is unacceptable.

PatHead
13-08-2013, 09:21 AM
Since Mowbray left we've seen Collins, Paatelainen, Hughes, Calderwood and now Fenlon come to the club, struggle to turn things around, and leave.

Either those five men are among the worst football managers in the game, or there's something more fundamental wrong at Easter Road.

I have no idea what the Board WILL do, but I know what they SHOULD do.

RESIGN. NOW. ALL OF THEM.

And Farmer should waken up, smell the coffee, and remember that Hibs exist for the fans, not the other way round.

With the exception of Mixu none of the above have even sniffed success elsewhere and not many of us were upset at their appointments. Maybe backs up the worst manager theories.

blackpoolhibs
13-08-2013, 09:32 AM

Just get whoever the scout is from any of the other clubs in the SPFL, or does Donald Park do everyone else's apart from ours? :wink:

Heisenberg
13-08-2013, 09:33 AM
Looks like everyone who said they'd do nothing are correct.

Saorsa
13-08-2013, 11:07 AM
Looks like everyone who said they'd do nothing are correct.No exactly difficult tae predict given their previous form. Whenever there's trouble they run for the hills.

--------
13-08-2013, 11:07 AM
With the exception of Mixu none of the above have even sniffed success elsewhere and not many of us were upset at their appointments. Maybe backs up the worst manager theories.

FIVE in a row - so what diddy was responsible for their appointments?

If I consistently ask the wrong people to do important jobs for me in my work, and as a result things go consistently and repeatedly WRONG, I'd expect to be told to either wise up or clear out.

Same goes for the Hibs board - wise up or go.

Saorsa
13-08-2013, 11:19 AM
Whatever Petrie's faults, wanting Hibs to fail or stagnate is not one of them. That is not in Hibs interests or indeed Petrie's either from an emotional or financial perspective.

Perhaps he doesn't know how to get out of the current malaise and his ego is struggling to let someone else come in and take key footballing decisions and that of course is a failing that he needs to address.

The board when they appointed Mowbray got lucky (as every appointment is a gamble) but Mowbray had a vision for the club not just the first eam - the upward spiral that people and players (and the board) seemed to buy into. I have no doubt JC also had a vision for the club beyond the first team but never had the chance to expand on that.

I think when looking at managers/structure of the club they need to consider the bigger vision that a manager could bring and not just about the footballing philosophy for the first team as being the key criteria for appointment.Naebody said that's what he wants, that is what Hibs are doing though with him there and if he cannae see that or he's letting his ego get in the way then he maybe disnae care as much as some think and mair about himself. This club winnae die because it over spent, if it does it'll be because too many folk got fed up and just walked away.

gegs70
13-08-2013, 11:28 AM
At the end of the day Sir Tom saved this club there is no point him piling in millions of pounds into a team...only to find out further down the line that if amything happens to him that no sugar daddy was waiting in the wings....that would be hearts!!!

We need the right manager, who can identify what the team needs and how we want him to play exciting football....but we as fans should be doing our bit, if you want success their is a price but how many people dont turn up to ER each week.

Saorsa
13-08-2013, 11:31 AM
At the end of the day Sir Tom saved this club there is no point him piling in millions of pounds into a team...only to find out further down the line that if amything happens to him that no sugar daddy was waiting in the wings....that would be hearts!!!

We need the right manager, who can identify what the team needs and how we want him to play exciting football....but we as fans should be doing our bit, if you want success their is a price but how many people dont turn up to ER each week.Ah, it's the fans again, I knew I'd missed something :rolleyes:

--------
13-08-2013, 01:31 PM

We need the right manager, who can identify what the team needs and how we want him to play exciting football....but we as fans should be doing our bit, if you want success their is a price but how many people dont turn up to ER each week.

This is the sort of thing I just cannot understand.

Any other club performing the way Hibs have performed the past five years, the owner and board would be getting pelters from the fans, but WE get told we should be grateful we have a club at all, thanks to Sir Tom twenty-five years ago?

The club is stagnating. There's no detectable direction or purpose. It's not a matter of piling millions into the team - it's a question of running the club effectively with the purpose and intention of winning games of football. I don't see that happening at Hibs.

Mediocrity (or worse) appears to be acceptable to the owner and to the board, and if that indeed is the case, we shouldn't be surprised that we're getting nowhere fast.

Something's rotten at ER.

The managers get blamed, over and over and over - but not the people who appointed them?

Players come in, players leave. Nothing essential changes.

Managers come in, managers leave. Nothing essential changes.

So - if we keep changing the team to no purpose, and we keep changing the manager/head coach to no purpose, maybe the fault lies somewhere else, farther up the corporate pyramid?

The "end of the day" is not yet here, but bear in mind that there are other ways for football clubs to hit the buffers than going into administration. Long-term, chronic mismanagement and misdirection will do just fine, and that's what we've been having at ER for far too long.

"We as fans should be doing our bit"? Why should anyone pay £400 a year for an ST to be bored, embarrassed. depressed and insulted by the perpetually abysmal standard of football served up to us by this board and this owner. Not to mention the merchandise they expect us to buy from an increasingly incompetent club shop, the time, the travelling costs, and all the other expenses involved in following Hibernian-Nil FC?

Saorsa
13-08-2013, 01:42 PM
The "end of the day" is not yet here, but bear in mind that there are other ways for football clubs to hit the buffers than going into administration. Long-term, chronic mismanagement and misdirection will do just fine, and that's what we've been having at ER for far too long.Correct, it's like death by a thousand cuts instead of a bullet tae the heid. Instead of financial mismanagement sending this club doon the pan, this club will suffer because it supporters have had the stuffing knocked out of them and been battered in tae submission by endless years of mind numbing pish.

gegs70
13-08-2013, 01:55 PM
Im not saying its tge fans fault a number of us turn up to most games but you cant expect Sir Tom to fund a squad that they are unable to maintain financially on their own. Otherwise we would be up **** creek like hearts. Unfortunately its very much chicken and egg play exciting fitba win games and the fans come through the gate...play how we are and its a real drag goinv to games and even more difficult geting the kids along! Fenlon seems lost and we need someone who knows what they are doing....

Saorsa
13-08-2013, 01:59 PM
Im not saying its tge fans fault a number of us turn up to most games but you cant expect Sir Tom to fund a squad that they are unable to maintain financially on their own. Otherwise we would be up **** creek like hearts. Unfortunately its very much chicken and egg play exciting fitba win games and the fans come through the gate...play how we are and its a real drag goinv to games and even more difficult geting the kids along! Fenlon seems lost and we need someone who knows what they are doing....The fans turned out in huge numbers when Mowbray was there and even for a large part of Collins's tenure. Decisions and endless mistakes made by those running the club since then is what has driven the fans away in droves and caused the club tae lose money, this has **** all tae do with the fans. They've had their chance, this club is only going on way under this regime and it isnae up.

blackpoolhibs
13-08-2013, 02:05 PM

What are the fans of St Johnstone and ICT or even Ross County doing thats a lot different to us?

The answer is, turning up in much smaller numbers.

Although that is all about to change under the current jokers running our club.

--------
13-08-2013, 02:06 PM
Correct, it's like death by a thousand cuts instead of a bullet tae the heid. Instead of financial mismanagement sending this club doon the pan, this club will suffer because it supporters have had the stuffing knocked out of them and been battered in tae submission by endless years of mind numbing pish.

Yup. And THIS supporter's just about had it right now. I can't see any change other than for the worse while the club as a whole is run by the people who're running it just now. And I see no prospect of this changing at all - Petrie seems to be in with the plumbing and as long as he's there we're just gong to be served up more of the same.

He's either appointed FIVE incompetent and inadequate managers one after the other - in which case he should do the decent thing and GO, NOW - or he's appointed five managers any one of whom could have led the club forward, but failed to provide the support and resources necessary for any of them to do the job - in which case he should do the decent thing and GO, NOW.

At least with nine grams of lead in the back of your skull you get it over and done with. Death by a thousand cuts is torturous and seems to take for ever.

--------
13-08-2013, 02:11 PM
Im not saying its tge fans fault a number of us turn up to most games but you cant expect Sir Tom to fund a squad that they are unable to maintain financially on their own. Otherwise we would be up **** creek like hearts. Unfortunately its very much chicken and egg play exciting fitba win games and the fans come through the gate...play how we are and its a real drag goinv to games and even more difficult geting the kids along! Fenlon seems lost and we need someone who knows what they are doing....

Pat Fenlon may indeed seem lost - but maybe that's because the car's running out of gas and someone in the boardroom refused to pay for a map?

It's not about huge over-investment in the team - it's about running the club in a focussed and effective manner, and this seems to me at least to be utterly beyond the present board and chairman.

Every 14-18 months we get to this place - The Manager Must Go!

And be replaced by an appointment made by the same guy who appointed the LAST FIVE MANAGERS?

gegs70
13-08-2013, 02:14 PM
Aye me too Doddie, only reason I bought my season ticket was the kids wanted to go but even they are a wee bit less excoted by what was on show at the malmo game and v motherwell.

Diclonius
13-08-2013, 03:38 PM
A lot of people who defend Petrie seem tae think it's his way or the h****s/Leeds way with nothing in between (it's a pathetic defence TBH if that's the best they can come up with) yet we are constantly being out performed by clubs in this league with less resources and who spend less than we do. It's no all about money, it's as much about leadership and direction and we have none. We shouldnae need tae spend mair than we do tae do better than we do against these teams.

Nail on head.

Out of curiosity, let's see how many teams with significantly less income, resources and attendances have finished above us since we appointed Collins (Petrie's first managerial appointment - he was not chairman when Mowbray was appointed) - by this I mean anyone outwith the Old Firm, Hearts and Aberdeen.

2006-07 - Kilmarnock.
2007-08 - Motherwell, Dundee Utd.
2008-09 - Dundee Utd.
2009-10 - Dundee Utd.
2010-11 - Dundee Utd, Kilmarnock, Motherwell, Inverness, St Johnstone.
2011-12 - Motherwell, Dundee Utd, St Johnstone, Kilmarnock, St Mirren, Aberdeen, Inverness.
2012-13 - Motherwell, St Johnstone, Inverness, Ross County, Dundee Utd.

Not even the Petrie lovers can excuse the following:
1. Motherwell (4 out of 7 seasons) and Dundee Utd (SIX out of 7 seasons) in particular have vastly outperformed us since Petrie took charge of Hibs - clubs who at an educated guess are probably on about half our budget.
2. Since they were promoted in 2010, Inverness have finished above us every season.
3. Our expected league position (based on resources) is at least 5th. If we finished there maybe every second season, at a stretch every third, that would probably be accepted by a majority of our fanbase or at least explained by our budget. How many times have we finished fifth or above in the last seven seasons? ONCE.
4. To add insult to injury, Ross County - in their first season in the SPL - finished 5th out of nowhere and beat us in three out of three games.

The stats don't lie. The model for Hibs that Petrie has overseen these past eight seasons is unacceptable from both a business and footballing viewpoint.

Emerald
13-08-2013, 04:07 PM
Nail on head.

Out of curiosity, let's see how many teams with significantly less income, resources and attendances have finished above us since we appointed Collins (Petrie's first managerial appointment - he was not chairman when Mowbray was appointed) - by this I mean anyone outwith the Old Firm, Hearts and Aberdeen.

2006-07 - Kilmarnock.
2008-09 - Dundee Utd.
2009-10 - Dundee Utd.
2011-12 - Motherwell, Dundee Utd, St Johnstone, Kilmarnock, St Mirren, Aberdeen, Inverness.

1. Motherwell (4 out of 8 seasons) and Dundee Utd (SEVEN out of 8 seasons) in particular have vastly outperformed us since Petrie took charge of Hibs - clubs who at an educated guess are probably on about half our budget.
2. Since they were promoted in 2010, Inverness have finished above us every season.
3. Our expected league position (based on resources) is at least 5th. If we finished there maybe every second season, at a stretch every third, that would probably be accepted by a majority of our fanbase or at least explained by our budget. How many times have we finished fifth or above in the last eight seasons? ONCE.
4. To add insult to injury, Ross County - in their first season in the SPL - finished 5th out of nowhere and beat us in three out of three games.

The stats don't lie. The model for Hibs that Petrie has overseen these past eight seasons is unacceptable from both a business and footballing viewpoint.

When you see it put like that it is a shocking report card and a total failure by the club. This is the reason why we need change. Good post :aok:

Devine
13-08-2013, 04:12 PM
Nail on head.

2006-07 - Kilmarnock.
2008-09 - Dundee Utd.
2009-10 - Dundee Utd.

1. Motherwell (4 out of 8 seasons) and Dundee Utd (SEVEN out of 8 seasons) in particular have vastly outperformed us since Petrie took charge of Hibs - clubs who at an educated guess are probably on about half our budget.
3. Our expected league position (based on resources) is at least 5th. If we finished there maybe every second season, at a stretch every third, that would probably be accepted by a majority of our fanbase or at least explained by our budget. How many times have we finished fifth or above in the last eight seasons? ONCE.

Absolutely excellent post which points out in black and white the dross we have had to endure and the resounding level of underachievement. No spin from the board or rhetoric can argue with those facts!

Liberal Hibby
13-08-2013, 04:17 PM
Nail on head.

2006-07 - Kilmarnock.
2008-09 - Dundee Utd.
2009-10 - Dundee Utd.

That's all very well as far as it goes - but you don't actually mention what teams like Dundee Utd and Kilmarnock were spending in those years apart from stating they had 'significantly less' income. If I remember Killie's income is not far short of ours due to their hotel and Utd were certainly subsidised by their previous owner. For a complete picture it would be good to see what each team spent in these years.

sidneyhibbie
13-08-2013, 04:40 PM

It looks like they are not going to do anything we will probably get an update on our official site in a few days

Onion
14-08-2013, 11:50 AM
Every time you look at it, you're half hoping to find something... anything... that remotely reflects or acknowledges the current mood of Hibs Fans.

I'm starting to accept that the Board and Fenlon have chickened out and there will be no announcement any time soon, but I was still hoping - even 3 weeks after the Malmo fiasco, and certainly after Sunday's embarrassing defeat to the BDO Select XI - there would be some statement (ANYTHING !) from the manager or club recognising how completely unacceptable these results have been and what's being done to fix the problems.

But nothing.

Instead, we get pre-match memories from 1992 and Lottery promotions as if nothing has happened. The Malmo result, defeat by the BDO Boys Club and Fenlon's shoogly peg are three massive elephants in the room that Hibernian FC would rather just to ignore. Petrie and the Hibs Board must believe that one win on Saturday and everything will be fine and the peasants will fall into line. Or maybe they just don't give a ****. Who knows, they're not speaking.

I've heard of clubs having a "siege mentality" but someone needs to tell Hibs that it usually includes the fans :cb

Hibby70
14-08-2013, 11:53 AM
I think there may be current discussions about compromise agreements going on and if so they are unlikely to put anything on the website talking about performance issues.

Has Fenlon been spotted at east mains recently?

The Voice Of Reason
14-08-2013, 11:56 AM
I think there may be current discussions about compromise agreements going on and if so they are unlikely to put anything on the website talking about performance issues.

Sounds like you are in the know ?

Billy Whizz
14-08-2013, 12:02 PM

He wasn't at the under 20's match last night where a number of the younger 1st team squad were playing. Thought he might have been looking in

PeterboroHibee
14-08-2013, 12:13 PM
Every time you look at it, you're half hoping to find something... anything... that remotely reflects or acknowledges the current mood of Hibs Fans.

I'm starting to accept that the Board and Fenlon have chickened out and there will be no announcement any time soon, but I was still hoping - even 3 weeks after the Malmo fiasco, and certainly after Sunday's embarrassing defeat to the BDO Select XI - there would be some statement (ANYTHING !) from the manager or club recognising how completely unacceptable these results have been and what's being done to fix the problems.

But nothing.

Instead, we get pre-match memories from 1992 and Lottery promotions as if nothing has happened. The Malmo result, defeat by the BDO Boys Club and Fenlon's shoogly peg are three massive elephants in the room that Hibernian FC would rather just to ignore. Petrie and the Hibs Board must believe that one win on Saturday and everything will be fine and the peasants will fall into line. Or maybe they just don't give a ****. Who knows, they're not speaking.

I've heard of clubs having a "siege mentality" but someone needs to tell Hibs that it usually includes the fans :cb

I agree with the majority of that, I would like to see something more rounded and official from the club after these embarrassing results, although you could argue that they are leaving it to Fenlon to publicly go over results in the media (even though he seems to be seeing something different to the rest of us). I also do find it very annoying that we go two or three days without anything from them, then all the lottery and U21 stuff starts appearing again.

I dont know what you are looking for with regards to the bit in bold however? What are the board publicly meant to do in that situation? They either sack him, claim hes got X number of games to turn it round (not in the slightest bit helpful), or back him (the dreaded vote of confidence). I dont see anyway they can comment on the manager?

Dashing Bob S
14-08-2013, 12:35 PM
Nail on head.

2006-07 - Kilmarnock.
2008-09 - Dundee Utd.
2009-10 - Dundee Utd.

This is a great post, and is the most chilling condemnation of the Petrie regime I have seen. It should make every true Hibernian fan really angry, and it should be rubbed in the faces of Petrie and Farmer at every given opportunity. This board are shocking in their complacency and apathy - they seem to find it totally acceptable that we can no longer compete with the likes of Ross County! Hibs should be in an ascendant position in Scottish football right now. As it is, we're being destroyed by the enemy within.

Pretty Boy
14-08-2013, 12:46 PM

I'm almost 100% certain that Fenlon will still be Hibs manager on Saturday.

Speedway
14-08-2013, 12:57 PM
Nail on head.

2006-07 - Kilmarnock.
2008-09 - Dundee Utd.
2009-10 - Dundee Utd.

Nice try, Petrie interviewed and recommended Mowbray's appointment.

We have had figurehead chairman over the years (McPherson, Lewandowski etc)

Petrie has been heavily involved in every appointment since McLeish and even had a say in Duff Jimmy's appointment.

Dashing Bob S
14-08-2013, 01:15 PM
Petrie is obviously a control freak, and no nominated director of football will do anything other than defer to him. This served us well, and he did great things for the club, but we now need to perform on the park and we haven't under his regime. He should go.

That was quite possibly the last derby ever, and it was quite probably the last victory Hearts will ever have in a competitive game of football. Unacceptable.

Diclonius
14-08-2013, 01:41 PM
Nice try, Petrie interviewed and recommended Mowbray's appointment.

We have had figurehead chairman over the years (McPherson, Lewandowski etc)

Petrie has been heavily involved in every appointment since McLeish and even had a say in Duff Jimmy's appointment.

Just because they were "figureheads" doesn't mean they had no say or responsibility in the appointment. The point I'm making is Petrie has been chairman for the last seven years of failure and being involved in some good appointments prior to that (we're looking late 1990s/early 2000s) doesn't somehow make up for it.

southsider
14-08-2013, 02:36 PM
With Petrie, it's a job, nothing more, nothing less. Like most people he tries to his Job as best he can. But there is no drive, no passion and where without sevco and BDO IX in the league we should be almost nailed on for second place with the size and support we have, with even moderate success but playing open, attractive football. Pat to go is a given and Rod needs to grow a pair and walk. For the love of God i have never been so pig sick of the stuff we are asked to watch these days. We need change and we need it now. Get a boss who can stop the rot, who has good contacts and can turn this club around. Step forward.....Terry Butcher. PS Is it true that a big percentage of Fenlon's signing have all came from the same agent ?

greenpaper55
14-08-2013, 02:40 PM
With Petrie, it's a job, nothing more, nothing less. Like most people he tries to his Job as best he can. But there is no drive, no passion and where without sevco and BDO IX in the league we should be almost nailed on for second place with the size and support we have, with even moderate success but playing open, attractive football. Pat to go is a given and Rod needs to grow a pair and walk. For the love of God i have never been so pig sick of the stuff we are asked to watch these days. We need change and we need it now. Get a boss who can stop the rot, who has good contacts and can turn this club around. Step forward.....Terry Butcher. PS Is it true that a big percentage of Fenlon's signing have all came from the same agent ?

Aye, it's buy one and get one free !

Saorsa
14-08-2013, 03:00 PM
Petrie is obviously a control freak, and no nominated director of football will do anything other than defer to him. This served us well, and he did great things for the club, but we now need to perform on the park and we haven't under his regime. He should go.

That was quite possibly the last derby ever, and it was quite probably the last victory Hearts will ever have in a competitive game of football. Unacceptable.Correct, as another poster put it well on another thread, there's nae point even if you get the right person for the job if a straight jacket is going tae be put on them and Petrie is the straight jacket. He'll never leave anybody tae do that job without meddling and sticking his oar in. He wants tae be in control of everything, he'll always be in there trying tae knock a few bob off each wage and end up scuppering deals. The only thing Petrie disnae want is the blame when anything goes pear shaped.