PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy Nicholl's role in this mess?

Carheenlea
11-08-2013, 03:57 PM
When Jimmy Nichol was appointed as assistant manager we were told this was a great coup and he was one of the best assistants and coaches in the game. Have yet to see any evidence of this, and the quality of performance has deteriorated greatly since Liam O'Brien's mysterious departure and for the term of Nichol's tenure to date.

Godsahibby
11-08-2013, 04:04 PM
When Jimmy Nichol was appointed as assistant manager we were told this was a great coup and he was one of the best assistants and coaches in the game. Have yet to see any evidence of this, and the quality of performance has deteriorated greatly since Liam O'Brien's mysterious departure and for the term of Nichol's tenure to date.

What is the role of the assistant manager?

Carheenlea
11-08-2013, 04:28 PM
What is the role of the assistant manager?

I would guess most of his work would be on the training pitch and assisting the manager with decision making.

The role must have some responsibility otherwise why not just have someone like you or I in the role?

scoopyboy
11-08-2013, 04:29 PM

Are you saying we are missing Liam O'Brien?

ginger_rice
11-08-2013, 04:30 PM
I would guess most of his work would be on the training pitch and assisting the manager with decision making.

The role must have some responsibility otherwise why not just have someone like you or I in the role?

Or perhaps we have a manager who won't listen to his assistant?

Heisenberg
11-08-2013, 04:30 PM
I'm still wondering why O'Brien left so suddenly. Nicholl is sitting tight waiting for his mate Kenny to arrive...

scoopyboy
11-08-2013, 04:37 PM
I'm still wondering why O'Brien left so suddenly. Nicholl is sitting tight waiting for his mate Kenny to arrive...

O'Brien contributed the square root of f*** all to Hibs, an absolute liability.

Nicholl has improved the training but as yet his contribution has not been seen, probably due to PF being his line manager.

Not sure who actually appointed Nicholl, not convinced it was PF.

sesoim
11-08-2013, 04:40 PM

I think it might be more to do with not having a 30 goal striker like Griffiths to bail us out. He made a bad punt forward look like a good pass. Now we are just punting it forward to the opposition keeper.

Nicholl has a pretty good cv and if he was in charge I reckon he'd ditch the 4-5-1 system pretty quickly and bring a couple more attacking players in.

God Petrie
11-08-2013, 04:41 PM

Nicholl has improved the training but as yet his contribution has not been seen, probably due to PF being his line manager.

Launch PF let Nicholl take over for a couple of games while Shiels is lined up.

KS brings in Deano solving the issue of no link between midfield and attack. Hibs win the league. Done.

Heisenberg

I wasn't convinced about O'Brien offering anything, just wondered what happened as him and Fenlon were close mates and he left quite swiftly. JN is a decent assistant and this can't be blamed on him, PF is hopeless and no assistant in the world could change that.

Carheenlea
Are you saying we are missing Liam O'Brien?

I've no idea, that's why I raised the question.

I don't have any knowledge of what goes on behind the scenes at East Mains. I'm just curious to know what Nichol's contribution is, and perhaps how that differs to O'Brien's contribution. You are one of a few who appear to have some knowledge of what goes on there, so maybe you can shed some light?

ginger_rice
11-08-2013, 04:42 PM

Do you think this is another Derek Adams scenario Scoop?

davieh
11-08-2013, 04:47 PM
Is it possible that Nicholl was brought in to provide a credible (and cheap) interim manager, if Fenlon's results continued to go pear-shaped?

clerriehibs
11-08-2013, 05:23 PM

Deteriorated greatly?! Can you not remember how bad we were last year? And you're passing judgment on Nicholl after less than a handful of games?

Green Fish
11-08-2013, 05:24 PM
Maybe brought in to give guidance to a young ambitious manager. Nid?????

Captain Trips
11-08-2013, 05:31 PM
The mess has been in place long before Nicholl arrived however I have no desire to see him at the club any longer either.

hibee19
11-08-2013, 05:34 PM
I think Nicholl will prove to be a great addition. I'd love to see him working alongside an up and coming manager like Ian Murray. Nicholl should have a decent say and I think Murray would learn a lot from him.

Carheenlea
11-08-2013, 05:43 PM
Deteriorated greatly?! Can you not remember how bad we were last year? And you're passing judgment on Nicholl after less than a handful of games?

I'm passing judgement on what I have seen so far, so yes. To an observer like me who only sees what happens when the team runs out for games I think it is fair to query his role on results and performances so far.

I will though take on board Scoopyboy's assessment of life at East Mains before Nichol's appointment and now.

SMAXXA
11-08-2013, 06:12 PM

Don't talk ***** scoops he is an easy target to say he didn't contribute as you say the square route blah blah. Your out of order and should know better. We are poor yes we are, so what happened to the JN brigade that was going to change our ways, we have been as poor as we were.

Wheres the JN thread? No,easy to slate he guy who's left. Jimmy has done **** all to change our fortunes so let's not bring others into it lets focus on he mess we have.

scoopyboy
11-08-2013, 06:21 PM
Don't talk ***** scoops he is an easy target to say he didn't contribute as you say the square route blah blah. Your out of order and should know better. We are poor yes we are, so what happened to the JN brigade that was going to change our ways, we have been as poor as we were.

Wheres the JN thread? No,easy to slate he guy who's left. Jimmy has done **** all to change our fortunes so let's not bring others into it lets focus on he mess we have.

OK, correct me and explain what LOB actually done since you know better.

PF asked him to cover games either with him or for him but he couldn't be bothered.

At Tannadice last season when PF was banned from the dressing room beforehand and during the game the players asked LOB what the Utd team was and he couldn't even tell them. The players eventually got their phones out and checked web sites to get the team. He didn't even know the Utd players names.

There are a couple of reasons, over to you.

scoopyboy
11-08-2013, 06:30 PM
I've no idea, that's why I raised the question.

I don't have any knowledge of what goes on behind the scenes at East Mains. I'm just curious to know what Nichol's contribution is, and perhaps how that differs to O'Brien's contribution. You are one of a few who appear to have some knowledge of what goes on there, so maybe you can shed some light?

Feedback I have had is that JN takes the vast majority of the training and the players think it is better and more varied than previously.

IMO the players need someone in between them and PF as he actually is very poor at man management and can go for ages without speaking to players.

Previously when Hibs have put players out on loan the management team have went and watched them and spoken to them giving them feedback. This is not happening and again IMO this is poor management.

blackpoolhibs
11-08-2013, 06:33 PM
Jimmy Nichol has been on board for all of 5 minutes, how anyone can form a bad opinion on what he's contributed to us is beyond me? :confused:

SMAXXA
11-08-2013, 06:34 PM
OK, correct me and explain what LOB actually done since you know better.

PF asked him to cover games either with him or for him but he couldn't be bothered.

At Tannadice last season when PF was banned from the dressing room beforehand and during the game the players asked LOB what the Utd team was and he couldn't even tell them. The players eventually got their phones out and checked web sites to get the team. He didn't even know the Utd players names.

There are a couple of reasons, over to you.

I can't and won't explain what he did just like you can't explain what he didn't bring to hibs despite your examples that you believe to be the case last year.

he couldn't be bothered is laughable, and who gives a **** what the united team was, a real sense of strength eh where's the gaffer Liam what we doing and what's their team line up mate?

Don't give me the over to you *****, I know,for a fact that things aren't great at Hibs and players are criticising their team mates and don't think they are good enough, they are in tomorrow for a meeting and we have issues. Do I expect pat to go, yes I do but it will be on his shoulders and no one else's, he brought in Liam and he brought in Jimmy, his choice no on elseses.

Pete
11-08-2013, 06:35 PM
Jimmy Nichol has been on board for all of 5 minutes, how anyone can form a bad opinion on what he's contributed to us is beyond me? :confused:

Agree smiley

scoopyboy
11-08-2013, 06:35 PM
Do you think this is another Derek Adams scenario Scoop?

Haven't a clue mate.

I found it strange at the time as I struggled to find a link between Derek Adams and Colin Calderwood.

Also found it strange when Billy Brown arrived.

Pretty Boy
11-08-2013, 06:38 PM
The players used to call O'Brien the 'Dublin taxi driver' behind his back and rip the pish out of him constantly, doing impressions of his swearing and shouting. The guy was a liability.

No way will they be doing the same with Nicholl who is a good coach and a decent guy.

scoopyboy
11-08-2013, 06:40 PM
I can't and won't explain what he did just like you can't explain what he didn't bring to hibs despite your examples that you believe to be the case last year.

he couldn't be bothered is laughable, and who gives a **** what the united team was, a real sense of strength eh where's the gaffer Liam what we doing and what's their team line up mate?
Don't give me the over to you *****, I know,for a fact that things aren't great at Hibs and players are criticising their team mates and don't think they are good enough, they are in tomorrow for a meeting and we have issues. Do I expect pat to go, yes I do but it will be on his shoulders and nome else's, he brought in Liam and he brought in Jimmy, his choice no on elseses.

SMAXXA, from your posts which I always read with interest and generally enjoy I know you played at both senior and junior level and would imagine you have built up a wide range of contacts throughout the game.

The bit in bold amazes me to be honest. Is it not common for players to be told who they are picking up at set pieces etc both in training and once the team lines are in?

SMAXXA
11-08-2013, 06:42 PM
Be I
The players used to call O'Brien the 'Dublin taxi driver' behind his back and rip the pish out of him constantly, doing impressions of his swearing and shouting. The guy was a liability.

No way will they be doing the same with Nicholl who is a good coach and a decent guy.

Great coach and a great manager from some if the guys I know and have played under him, unfortunatly all this jimmy love in isn't making he iota of a difference to this team.

Pretty Boy
11-08-2013, 06:47 PM
Be I

Great coach and a great manager from some if the guys I know and have played under him, unfortunatly all this jimmy love in isn't making he iota of a difference to this team.

Fair enough.

Suppose a coaches strengths are all a matter of opinion.

'A bit old school even for Sunday league' was the description I got and the players found his training dull and repetitive.

Nakedmanoncrack
11-08-2013, 07:30 PM
Is it possible that Nicholl was brought in to provide a credible (and cheap) interim manager, if Fenlon's results continued to go pear-shaped?

Unfortunately, I think that's quite possible.

SMAXXA
11-08-2013, 07:43 PM
SMAXXA, from your posts which I always read with interest and generally enjoy I know you played at both senior and junior level and would imagine you have built up a wide range of contacts throughout the game.

The bit in bold amazes me to be honest. Is it not common for players to be told who they are picking up at set pieces etc both in training and once the team lines are in?

Sorry mate just had a Chinese then back in the .net game. I'm sorry if I came across aggressive or a a bit of a twat but I am genuinely frustrated as we all are. I don't mean to decry any of your comments but I just see things differently in some I sense.

As for the part that amazes you :wink:, I can only say how we set or team up and we always do the same regardless of our opposition, we structure out defence against and for in respect of corners and set pieces and we don't pay attention to the opposition, not that we are ignorant to unappreciated if your against a far superior player or team but we set out stall out and do what we are good at.

i think it's a it of a myth nowadays that we think players or teams go to the length of doing so much research int the opposition, we are a small nation no let's face it we probs know each other inside out

scoopyboy
11-08-2013, 07:49 PM
Sorry mate just had a Chinese then back in the .net game. I'm sorry if I came across aggressive or a a bit of a twat but I am genuinely frustrated as we all are. I don't mean to decry any of your comments but I just see things differently in some I sense.

As for the part that amazes you :wink:, I can only say how we set or team up and we always do the same regardless of our opposition, we structure out defence against and for in respect of corners and set pieces and we don't pay attention to the opposition, not that we are ignorant to unappreciated if your against a far superior player or team but we set out stall out and do what we are good at.

i think it's a it of a myth nowadays that we think players or teams go to the length of doing so much research int the opposition, we are a small nation no let's face it we probs know each other inside out

No problems mate, I am always prepared to listen and learn. Had a wee time out myself to nip up to Macmerry to put my Mum's bucket out.

I think we are all a bit frustrated at the moment.

SMAXXA
11-08-2013, 08:00 PM
No problems mate, I am always prepared to listen and learn. Had a wee time out myself to nip up to Macmerry to put my Mum's bucket out.

I think we are all a bit frustrated at the moment.

Anyway back to the good stuff, Tranent v Edinburgh united on Tuesday juniors at foresters should be good :agree:

scoopyboy
11-08-2013, 08:20 PM
Anyway back to the good stuff, Tranent v Edinburgh united on Tuesday juniors at foresters should be good :agree:

Yip, my next game.

Was speaking to a few of the Tranent laddies in the Brig yesterday before the bus left for Falkirk and they looked the part in the Tranent track suits. A very young team this season with a lot of the excellent under 21 team of the last couple of seasons stepping up, Hamish Colgan has also stepped up to be the manager. Good local feel about the squad and with "Belters" such as Hamish, Colin Porteous, Colin McGinn, etc being involved I am hopeful for the club again.

They won 3-2 at Grangemouth Stadium after being 3 up.

Speaking to Toy (Craig, son of Michael Toy who served Tranent and Dunbar over the years) this afternoon when I got back from Tynecastle and he was saying five Tranent players made their Junior debuts yesterday. Said the pitch was wide and in excellent condition. I'm looking forward to see how he copes with the Junior grade as he has been outstanding as a juvenile.

The Edinburgh Utd game on Tuesday will be played with passion I would imagine as a few of last seasons Tranent team are now with the Townies.

SMAXXA
12-08-2013, 06:37 AM
Yip, my next game.

Was speaking to a few of the Tranent laddies in the Brig yesterday before the bus left for Falkirk and they looked the part in the Tranent track suits. A very young team this season with a lot of the excellent under 21 team of the last couple of seasons stepping up, Hamish Colgan has also stepped up to be the manager. Good local feel about the squad and with "Belters" such as Hamish, Colin Porteous, Colin McGinn, etc being involved I am hopeful for the club again.

They won 3-2 at Grangemouth Stadium after being 3 up.

Speaking to Toy (Craig, son of Michael Toy who served Tranent and Dunbar over the years) this afternoon when I got back from Tynecastle and he was saying five Tranent players made their Junior debuts yesterday. Said the pitch was wide and in excellent condition. I'm looking forward to see how he copes with the Junior grade as he has been outstanding as a juvenile.

The Edinburgh Utd game on Tuesday will be played with passion I would imagine as a few of last seasons Tranent team are now with the Townies.

It has the makings of a good game indeed, there are a number of players that have gone from Tranent to Edinburgh and strangely enough from Edinburgh to Tranent as I believe 4 or 5 Edinburgh players from last year have signed for Tranent this season. Could be a bit worrying considering they finished bottom of the league with only 12 points last season mind. I'm sure Tranent wil do ok this season with the new squad they have and I hope they do wel.

Aye Toy did well last season and is a good lad, I think he ill find a big difference for his first year at junior like the other lads who have made the step up. It's good though as will be great experience for the next few years if they can keep the team together and keep adding as they go.

i know there were people concerned with the Hamish appointment when they could have kept on Johnny and the guys from last season, but it was fitting their model of going with their 21s players bringing Hamish through with them. Edinburgh look to have buit a very good squad this season so it will be interesting to see how things develop. Got the makings of a tasty fixture tomorrow though.

brydekirk
12-08-2013, 09:25 AM

According to KT, Jimmy Niichol has been a breath of fresh air since his arrival.