PDA

View Full Version : Collins and Nelson

SteveHFC
11-08-2013, 02:25 PM
I feel really sorry for both of them that they have to play with a bunch of useless idiots.

ballengeich
11-08-2013, 02:26 PM
Play for a useless idiot would be more accurate.

essexhibee
11-08-2013, 02:27 PM
Feel for Collins. Doesn't ever get a sniff. Nelson is doing ok but his range of passing needs improving. His range being that of humping it up the park at every chance.

LaMotta
11-08-2013, 02:28 PM
Collins looked out of his depth today

Jamesie
11-08-2013, 02:29 PM
Nelson and Thomson were the only two who showed any promise for me today.

Bobby's Cinema
11-08-2013, 02:29 PM
correct. Nelson is no nonsense and solid enough looking. Collins, no service and no support. Impossible to pass any kind of judgement so far imo

LaMotta
11-08-2013, 02:31 PM

:agree:

LancsHibs
11-08-2013, 02:32 PM
correct. Nelson is no nonsense and solid enough looking. Collins, no service and no support. Impossible to pass any kind of judgement so far imo

Yes both could be decent, Nelson did lose his man for the goal today! Find it very hard to make any judgement on Collins from these last 2 games as he's had no service.

lugz
11-08-2013, 02:33 PM

Absolute crap! Made good runs, worked hard. Yes he missed a couple of chances but show me a striker who doesn't. He's getting into positions when the team is set up poorly.

Thecat23
11-08-2013, 02:35 PM

Eh? In what way??

HibbyAndy
11-08-2013, 02:35 PM
Both decent today... Nelson won a lot of headers.

LaMotta
11-08-2013, 02:38 PM
Absolute crap! Made good runs, worked hard. Yes he missed a couple of chances but show me a striker who doesn't. He's getting into positions when the team is set up poorly.

He was slow, couldnt win a header, and didn't hold the ball up very well. Some of his challenges were amateurish.

I expect him to improve.

Aldo
11-08-2013, 02:39 PM

If he was standing in a 10 ft swimming pool maybe.

God do you actually watch any football (not at ER anyway).

The guy needs service and tbh made his own chances. Isolated for most of the game. Hard work that... No support.

As for Nelson.... Thought he did ok today... I did notice one thing today Hanlon is actually attacking the ball, maybe a few pointers from Nelson.

Aldo
11-08-2013, 02:39 PM

This. Thomson our best player.

hibeedonald
11-08-2013, 02:46 PM
Defence was actually pretty good but its pointless if we can't create or score or ourselves. Tom should of buried that sitter but tbf he isn't a striker.

Pray4Marc
11-08-2013, 02:48 PM

I couldn't honestly pick out one bad individual performance, we had chances, they had one and took it, typical.

Time For Heroes
11-08-2013, 03:04 PM

Disagree.
I think he'll be our best player this year. Read a lot about him on the Swindon forums and not too many happy that he has left, most reckon he's destined to be in the Premiership soon rather than later. They've seen a lot more him than we have so hopefully they are right.
Think he has been very positive for us so far.

Onceinawhile
11-08-2013, 03:09 PM
Feel sorry for Collins, absolutely isolated for 180 minutes in green and white. Thought he should have squares the ball to vine instead of shooting though.

Nelson I've been impressed with.

LaMotta
11-08-2013, 03:10 PM
Disagree.
I think he'll be our best player this year. Read a lot about him on the Swindon forums and not too many happy that he has left, most reckon he's destined to be in the Premiership soon rather than later. They've seen a lot more him than we have so hopefully they are right.
Think he has been very positive for us so far.

i am sure he will get better, based on his time at Swindon.

I just cant believe anyone has seeen anything in his performance last week or this week to be happy about :confused:

Tyler Durden
11-08-2013, 03:14 PM
I couldn't honestly pick out one bad individual performance, we had chances, they had one and took it, typical.

I would be surprised if anyone felt Mullen, Stevenson, OTJ, Robertson or Vine deserved pass marks. None of them terrible but they contributed very little.

Vine looks a poor player so far IMO.

OTJ is a total enigma but I think that's more down to Fenlons tactics.

Unseen work
11-08-2013, 03:20 PM
Collins looks good everytime he has the ball to me, can hold it up well, lays it off at the right time and makes good runs. Him and vine showed glimpses that they could develop a good understanding imo

Aldo
11-08-2013, 03:30 PM
Collins looks good everytime he has the ball to me, can hold it up well, lays it off at the right time and makes good runs. Him and vine showed glimpses that they could develop a good understanding imo

I'd like to see what Caldwell and Collins would be like. Caldwell has to get a chance sometime surely

West hamBERNIAN
11-08-2013, 03:37 PM
Looks like he could do well. I also thought he looked like he will link up well with vine who I also thought looked like he could do well. They will do absolutely nothing though with the service they are getting. We really are desperate for players with composure. Craig was really poor today and although robbo put himself about and tried hard there was no end product. Really missed Harris today.

davieh
11-08-2013, 03:48 PM
Looks like he could do well. I also thought he looked like he will link up well with vine who I also thought looked like he could do well. They will do absolutely nothing though with the service they are getting. We really are desperate for players with composure. Craig was really poor today and although robbo put himself about and tried hard there was no end product. Really missed Harris today.

He's been the biggest dissappointment so far to me

Paisley Hibby
11-08-2013, 03:51 PM
Play for a useless idiot would be more accurate.

Beat me to it! :agree:

Unseen work
11-08-2013, 03:53 PM
He's been the biggest dissappointment so far to me

Likewise, he looks like he has no confidence, his passing dribbling and set pieces have all been very poor IMO. Hopefully will see him play central and come on to a game cause he looks lost out wide IMO

Judas Iscariot
11-08-2013, 03:58 PM
Nelson wants flogged for bein done by that half arsed moustached wee phud Paterson for their goal...

Hoof hoof hoof, everytime he has it..

Nae user if you ask me

Time For Heroes
11-08-2013, 04:04 PM
i am sure he will get better, based on his time at Swindon.

I just cant believe anyone has seeen anything in his performance last week or this week to be happy about :confused:
Give the guy a chance first.

neil7908
11-08-2013, 04:14 PM
Nelson's looked decent but at the same time, we've still lost soft goals to Motherwell and Hearts - a big hoof down the middle of park and a young laddie like Paterson getting a free header. With McPake injured I realise we needed some more depth in defence but I personally would rather play Forster than give Nelson a game. We also have McGivern who can play CB so its strange to me that we have only one natural LB at the club and 5 players (Nelson, McPake, Hanlon, McGivern, Forster) who can all play in the middle.

Thats one of the big issues with Fenlon, we seem overloaded with players in certain positions but then one injury to players like Harris and McGivern and we are putting out a makeshift team with no adequate replacements. Very poor planning, injuries are not something a manager can control but we can stop buying CB and CM's.

neil7908
11-08-2013, 04:17 PM
Oh and I honestly dont think anyone can make a serious statement on Collin's ability based on the 2 games he has had for us.

I'd like to think he'll score goals but has seen so little of the ball in any kind of threatening position that its impossible to tell if he'll score goals for us or not.

I do feel for him though, its amazing how quickly things can change in football. When his signing was confirmed by in the know folk on here before the Malmo game there was a huge amount of optimism (I would include myself in that). Suddenly 3 games later and things are looking pretty bleak.

LaMotta
11-08-2013, 04:18 PM
Give the guy a chance first.

You are missing the point. I am not writing him off.

People have been saying he is playing well, when he hasn't.

just_joe
11-08-2013, 04:24 PM
Nelson's looked decent but at the same time, we've still lost soft goals to Motherwell and Hearts - a big hoof down the middle of park and a young laddie like Paterson getting a free header. With McPake injured I realise we needed some more depth in defence but I personally would rather play Forster than give Nelson a game. We also have McGivern who can play CB so its strange to me that we have only one natural LB at the club and 5 players (Nelson, McPake, Hanlon, McGivern, Forster) who can all play in the middle.

Thats one of the big issues with Fenlon, we seem overloaded with players in certain positions but then one injury to players like Harris and McGivern and we are putting out a makeshift team with no adequate replacements. Very poor planning, injuries are not something a manager can control but we can stop buying CB and CM's.

Nelson looks average really. Which at the moment seems good! I think we should be looking more at the attacking side. We havent scored in 4 matches? Hopefully a new manager will be able to set the team up properly and actually look like we can score! We went 1-0 down today and showed no passion or desire to equalize. You would have aswell given Macdonald a cup of tea and a bacon roll during the game. The only Chances Collins had is ones he made for himself that were only half chances. Ive seen Vine for St Johnstone and he looked a decent player so I know he may come good if played to best of his abilities. I want Fenlon out but something tells me hes gonna be here for a wee bit longer and no doubt if we get a couple of scrappy wins alot of fans will be back on the Fenlon "in pat we trust" bandwagon again.

easty
11-08-2013, 04:46 PM
Collins has a thankless task trying to show what he can do just now.

Nelson looks half decent but for a defender with obvious limitations, that being his ability on the ball, you're really looking for him to do the standard defending things better. He wasn't good enough for that goal today, he has to win the ball or, at the least, make it harder for the attacker to do anything with it. Calum Paterson is nae superstar, the ball was clearly going to be whipped in from out wide but Nelson was far too poor in dealing with Paterson.

Time For Heroes
11-08-2013, 05:12 PM
You are missing the point. I am not writing him off.

People have been saying he is playing well, when he hasn't.

Aye your right maybe I did miss the point. :D
Have to agree with easty above though, hes been given a thankless task upfront with no support.

LaMotta
11-08-2013, 05:23 PM
Aye your right maybe I did miss the point. :D
Have to agree with easty above though, hes been given a thankless task upfront with no support.

:greengrin

Agree that he hasn't had much to work with.

Pretty Boy
11-08-2013, 05:29 PM
Collins looked bewildered at times today.

A few times he got in cracking positions and looked stunned at the pishness of the passes into him.

Created one good chance for himself but the finish was poor.

Aldo
11-08-2013, 05:47 PM
Collins looked bewildered at times today.

A few times he got in cracking positions and looked stunned at the pishness of the passes into him.

Created one good chance for himself but the finish was poor.

This. He will produce but needs the service to do so.

SMAXXA
11-08-2013, 05:55 PM
This. Thomson our best player.

No he wasn't Nelson was our best player by a good bit, Hanlon was faultless as well both did very welll thought Thomo did little in the first 60 mins playing far to deep.

SMAXXA
11-08-2013, 06:00 PM
Nelson looks average really. Which at the moment seems good! I thinks and his we should be looking more at the attacking side. We havent scored in 4 matches? Hopefully a new manager will be able to set the team up properly and actually look like we can score! We went 1-0 down today and showed no passion or desire to equalize. You would have aswell given Macdonald a cup of tea and a bacon roll during the game. The only Chances Collins had is ones he made for himself that were only half chances. Ive seen Vine for St Johnstone and he looked a decent player so I know he may come good if played to best of his abilities. I want Fenlon out but something tells me hes gonna be here for a wee bit longer and no doubt if we get a couple of scrappy wins alot of fans will be back on the Fenlon "in pat we trust" bandwagon again.

Average? Don't talk ***** he was far better than average he played very well, anyone that can have a go,at him and Collins who worked his balls of and is no doubt wondering what have I let myself in for need their head looking at, Nelson was our best player anyone watching that would see the same.

neil7908
11-08-2013, 06:10 PM
Nelson looks average really. Which at the moment seems good! I think we should be looking more at the attacking side. We havent scored in 4 matches? Hopefully a new manager will be able to set the team up properly and actually look like we can score! We went 1-0 down today and showed no passion or desire to equalize. You would have aswell given Macdonald a cup of tea and a bacon roll during the game. The only Chances Collins had is ones he made for himself that were only half chances. Ive seen Vine for St Johnstone and he looked a decent player so I know he may come good if played to best of his abilities. I want Fenlon out but something tells me hes gonna be here for a wee bit longer and no doubt if we get a couple of scrappy wins alot of fans will be back on the Fenlon "in pat we trust" bandwagon again.

That's one of the things that has really got to me about the last 2 games.

Today we lost a goal in a derby, a huge game for us but still had 18 mins to go, plus injury time. We should have been bombarding them, thrown everything we had at them to salvage something from the game. This is a very young Hearts team and who knows how they would have handled some serious pressure? What did we have to lose afterall? 0-2 is no different than 0-1 from our perspective.

And yet in the closing stages it was Hearts who looked more threatening. We looked absolutely incapable of mounting any kind of serious attack, just totally clueless about how we would create a goal, or even a chance against them.

We could have played on for another 90 minutes and still I couldn't see us getting an equaliser.

Eckie
11-08-2013, 06:13 PM
Nelson looks not too bad,pair him with Forster?,Mcgivern and Mullen,both getting forward,midfield of Thomson,Craig,Vine and Robertson ,Caldwell and Collins,thoughts?

Tyler Durden
11-08-2013, 06:13 PM
Average? Don't talk ***** he was far better than average he played very well, anyone that can have a go,at him and Collins who worked his balls of and is no doubt wondering what have I let myself in for need their head looking at, Nelson was our best player anyone watching that would see the same.

Played against a team with no recognised striker. His distribution was poor and he lost Paterson for the goal. Otherwise largely solid so sounds pretty average to me, about a 6 out of 10.

Tricla
11-08-2013, 06:15 PM

Eh? He never got one cross to attack and only one through ball which he forced a save with.

Other than that the ball was pumped at him from 100 miles away.

Did you see the game?

SMAXXA
11-08-2013, 06:19 PM
Played against a team with no recognised striker. His distribution was poor and he lost Paterson for the goal. Otherwise largely solid so sounds pretty average to me, about a 6 out of 10.

I thnk you are confusing his distribution to last week against Motherwell. Can I ask what else should he have done to bump up uh is rating other than granted get in front ofpatterson

neil7908
11-08-2013, 06:31 PM
Nelson looks not too bad,pair him with Forster?,Mcgivern and Mullen,both getting forward,midfield of Thomson,Craig,Vine and Robertson ,Caldwell and Collins,thoughts?

Might help improve us a bit but I still think we need another couple of players. No starting XI we have at the club will give us the 3 things we are crying out for: pace, width and creativity.

gorgie greens
11-08-2013, 06:38 PM

Guy has not had a chance since he's been here,we were spoiled last couple of seasons with LG,
Collins is not the same type of forward,he needs service and he's had a couple of scraps to feed on and little support when he's been up there,
Not having a go at Williams but feel we need a captain in the middle of the park,we look so out of sorts ,just glad were 12 in front as we're going to need it

DH1875
11-08-2013, 07:04 PM
Thought Collins was OK today and hopefully he comes good and gets in amongst the goals BUT I can't help but think we need another striker through the door.

Jonnyboy
11-08-2013, 07:11 PM
Oh and I honestly dont think anyone can make a serious statement on Collin's ability based on the 2 games he has had for us.

I'd like to think he'll score goals but has seen so little of the ball in any kind of threatening position that its impossible to tell if he'll score goals for us or not.

I do feel for him though, its amazing how quickly things can change in football. When his signing was confirmed by in the know folk on here before the Malmo game there was a huge amount of optimism (I would include myself in that). Suddenly 3 games later and things are looking pretty bleak.

Agreed.

ahibby
11-08-2013, 07:16 PM
I apologise for divereting the thread but I wouldn't criticise any of them today. If anyone should be criticised it is Hibs management/direction not just for bringing in PF but what about the duds McPake and Clancy? They will be two high earners who have hardly kicked a ball for us and their absence has cost us dearly and could end up costing PF his job. Of course if he was solely responsible for bringing them in then it should fall on his shoulders. I'm sure if those two signings had been a success for him then results would have gone better. What I'm trying to say is those two were the start of his problems followed by poor tactics when trying to cover over their absence. Anybody else think with those two fit and the new midfield we have with Collins up front with company things would have gone better?

patch1875
11-08-2013, 07:23 PM
I apologise for divereting the thread but I wouldn't criticise any of them today. If anyone should be criticised it is Hibs management/direction not just for bringing in PF but what about the duds McPake and Clancy? They will be two high earners who have hardly kicked a ball for us and their absence has cost us dearly and could end up costing PF his job. Of course if he was solely responsible for bringing them in then it should fall on his shoulders. I'm sure if those two signings had been a success for him then results would have gone better. What I'm trying to say is those two were the start of his problems followed by poor tactics when trying to cover over their absence. Anybody else think with those two fit and the new midfield we have with Collins up front with company things would have gone better?

Hardly duds when their not fit. Mcpake has been obviously injured hence the poor displays. Clancy is our first pick rb decent going forward and defending can't blame someone for being injured.

carnoustiehibee
11-08-2013, 07:23 PM
I thnk you are confusing his distribution to last week against Motherwell. Can I ask what else should he have done to bump up uh is rating other than granted get in front ofpatterson

neilson is a poor mans caldwell. does the basic headers, block tackles, offsides but loves a big cross field punt to nobody. time and time again today and last week was the same. im not impressed with him so far. especially with Forster on the bench

ahibby
11-08-2013, 07:34 PM
Hardly duds when their not fit. Mcpake has been obviously injured hence the poor displays. Clancy is our first pick rb decent going forward and defending can't blame someone for being injured.

I don't blame them but Clancy has been missing for the best part of a season so has McPake despite playing a good few games. I don't think due dilligence was applied in at least one of those signings. For example most people knew about McPakes bad back before we signed him and yet we signed him as our number one CB and captain. I wonder now if Clancy's injury problems should have been picked up on too. Anyhoo, they can't play and they are duds because of their injuries and I'm not saying it is their faults they have been duds for us, they can't help their injuries as you say. It's just a pity that their situation has cost us and maybe PF so much. I don't know what is wrong with Clancy but Stuart McCall definitely wanted to keep him at Motherwell and he could have had a pay increase if he had stayed, so it would appear that Hibs offered significantly more than M'Well, it's just a pity.

vanNISHtelroy
11-08-2013, 07:35 PM
The Admiral isn't going to play any nice passes for you....he can play some short ones at the back (not sure he was comfortable with Kenny's style exactly) he is a solid, no nonsense centre back who will help you defensively and isn't scared to put it out of play if thats whats needed

3pm
11-08-2013, 07:36 PM
No he wasn't Nelson was our best player by a good bit, Hanlon was faultless as well both did very welll thought Thomo did little in the first 60 mins playing far to deep.

Who was marking Paterson when he scored?

Aldo
11-08-2013, 07:39 PM

Until OTJ went off. I posted earlier bout PH and him attacking balls before they bounce and bring strong. Wonder if Nelson has been giving him a few hints and tips.

As for Nelsons passing he made one or 2 telling balls, one in particular that Collins just about got onto.

SMAXXA
11-08-2013, 07:51 PM
Who was marking Paterson when he scored?

Yes that made him hopeless all game but yes he sold have done better

just_joe
11-08-2013, 07:52 PM

McPake has been rank rotten. A shadow of the player he was when he first joined us. If hes injured then he shouldn't be playing. simple as that.

3pm
11-08-2013, 07:54 PM
Yes that made him hopeless all game but yes he sold have done better

Who said it made him hopeless?

SMAXXA
11-08-2013, 07:54 PM
neilson is a poor mans caldwell. does the basic headers, block tackles, offsides but loves a big cross field punt to nobody. time and time again today and last week was the same. im not impressed with him so far. especially with Forster on the bench

Did you watch the game today or are you just thinking of the Motherwell games. I don't remember any cross field passes he made today, tell me how may times he did it today? I sen a centre half that won his headers led by example yet you didn't see that? Unreal for me

patch1875
11-08-2013, 07:55 PM
McPake has been rank rotten. A shadow of the player he was when he first joined us. If hes injured then he shouldn't be playing. simple as that.

I agree he's proved he's no dud when fit

SMAXXA
11-08-2013, 07:56 PM
Who said it made him hopeless?

Keep up with the theme, elaborate if you have something to discuss no just post pointless questions

Jonnyboy
11-08-2013, 07:58 PM
Did you watch the game today or are you just thinking of the Motherwell games. I don't remember any cross field passes he made today, tell me how may times he did it today? I sen a centre half that won his headers led by example yet you didn't see that? Unreal for me

Some folk think Nelson should play Sauzee passes :greengrin

I thought the big fella was excellent today. He's a no nonsense centre half and when he shouts for a ball both his own team mates and opponents get out of the way sharpish. :agree:

3pm
11-08-2013, 08:01 PM
Answer the questions.

carnoustiehibee
11-08-2013, 08:06 PM

won headers against kids, brilliant. i was there today and he won those headers, great. but his distribution was terrible. win the ball, push your 19 years old marker off the ball and do a wee cryuff turn and then punt in up the park. not for me thanks

Tyler Durden
11-08-2013, 08:16 PM

Not a great deal really but it was a pivotal moment and Paterson got the better of him.

I think most folk (myself included) are pretty satisfied with Nelson. But when we're so starved of decent attacking play naturally there's more focus on the defence. They've not done much wrong in the 2 games but 1 mistake is all it takes to lose when we're not scoring

Itsnoteasy
11-08-2013, 09:04 PM

I thought robertson had a good game and put himself about. He got subbed cause I think 1 mare tackle and he was off.