PDA

View Full Version : Blame must lie with the board

LongshanksED
11-08-2013, 01:27 PM
Surely it's time now for Fenlon to go but surely the blame is much deeper rooted.

How many dud managers in a row is it since we had a good team that played well.

The board are the ones who bring the managers in and in the last 15 years the only ones with pass marks are Mowbray (who fell into a squad with talented youngsters coming through) and John Collins and the board backed the players rather than him

Too many bobby williamsons, calderwoods, yogi, mixu and duffys!

The Board has to go and STF must be able to see that all these recent failures start at the top

Sumner
11-08-2013, 01:32 PM
The common denominator is Rod Petrie.

Petrie will not quit. The absentee owner STF will not remove him.

We are stuck with this curse of a situation, watching the club sink further.

Same old same old.. but the fear is fans WILL stay away as Hibs slide away

Thecat23
11-08-2013, 01:33 PM
It's not just a managers fault anymore, this club is rotten from the inside out. We have a chairman who has no interest in the football side only the spreadsheet. No this isn't a go out and buy, buy, buy. I think we need someone who knows the game. As long as Petrie is in charge along with Farmer we will be a soulless club.

Look at our crowds over recent years, fans are walking away some have jacked it altogether because of the way we just underachieve. Sorry that's the wrong word, the way we just bore our fans to death.

I hope to god if Pat is away this week there is huge pressure put on our board. I'm sick to death of Petrie getting away with it. He can't pick a good manager. Mowbray was a one off which we can all see now.

Where do Hibs go from here? Pat has to go, no doubt about that, but what is the way forward for Hibs?

CalgaryHibs
11-08-2013, 01:36 PM
We"ve chatting aboot this for years now, any blame is Petrie who has no idea. Shoulda spent the moneyu for Sparky

Greenblood70
11-08-2013, 01:37 PM
Good post IMO.

Ricky Bobby
11-08-2013, 01:38 PM
Unless the board have started picking the team and setting tactics, there is only one man to blame for results.
The only blame i would lay at their door is backing Pat for as long. Bold decisions should have been made in the summer. It is now becoming a farce.

GreenArmyyy!
11-08-2013, 01:40 PM
There is no way forward under this current regime, only backwards.

hhibs
It's not just a managers fault anymore, this club is rotten from the inside out. We have a chairman who has no interest in the football side only the spreadsheet. No this isn't a go out and buy, buy, buy. I think we need someone who knows the game. As long as Petrie is in charge along with Farmer we will be a soulless club.

Look at our crowds over recent years, fans are walking away some have jacked it altogether because of the way we just underachieve. Sorry that's the wrong word, the way we just bore our fans to death.

I hope to god if Pat is away this week these is huge pressure put on our board. I'm sick to death of Petrie getting away with it. He can't pick a good manager. Mowbray was a one off which we can all see now.

Where do Hibs go from here? Pat has to go, no doubt about that, but what is the way forward for Hibs?

So true ! :brickwall

Dalianwanda
Pat fenlon is to blame, the board have backed him within our means

SkintHibby
When i tell people im a hibby generally the response is one of mirth.

TheFamous1875
11-08-2013, 01:42 PM
Pat Stanton for chairman? He'd put the football first.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Heisenberg
11-08-2013, 01:43 PM
Petrie didnt pick this one apparently :rolleyes: Although the two that supposedly did were punted a few months later were they not?

pontius pilate
11-08-2013, 01:44 PM
The board have to take some blame as well we are completely devoid of ideas from the very top all the way down. As others have stated how many did managers have Hibs had over the years and we demand they managers go and they do but the board are always constant getting away scot free from their actions. Clear out the dead wood bring in younger hungrier people who want to succeed.

Jack
11-08-2013, 01:45 PM

I hope to god if Pat is away this week there is huge pressure put on our board. I'm sick to death of Petrie getting away with it. He can't pick a good manager. Mowbray was a one off which we can all see now.

Soulless Club??? No way ... the support is ****** brilliant :not worth

hhibs
11-08-2013, 01:47 PM
When i tell people im a hibby generally the response is one of mirth.

Being seen as the constant underachievers is one thing but now, we are just a laughing stock.

davieh
11-08-2013, 01:47 PM
Petrie's jusdgement doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

- Calderwood and Fenlon appointments were terrible.
- Sticking by Felnon and Caderwood too long.
- punting Mixu too early.

Mebbe the last one only with hindsight, but this is a terrible record of decision-making

hfc rd
11-08-2013, 01:48 PM

Took the words right out of my mouth.

SmallvilleHibee
11-08-2013, 01:49 PM
Soulless Club??? No way ... the support is ****** brilliant :not worth

I beg to differ. The games at ER have no atmosphere, We have an incredible amount of part timers who can only be arsed to come to 4 home games a season. We only bring around 400 to Inverness, Ross County and Aberdeen.

SmallvilleHibee
11-08-2013, 01:51 PM
Pat Stanton for chairman? He'd put the football first.

I'd happily have someone who cares about the club as Chairman, especially a legend like Pat.

LongshanksED
Overall, piss poor managers or young inexperienced one have made hibs failures for last 20 years. The only constant is the board!

STF must be asking why hibs have had such a poor run of poor managers.

Stevie Reid
We are in a very, very bad way at the moment, and we need a new manager - but I don't agree that we're a soulless club.

neil7908
Great post, we need to do some soul searching at ER. I am one of the fans who is beginning to drift away in all honesty, have had a season ticket in the past but under Calderwood and Fenlon have been going to to less and less games.Cannot currently justify spending £22 on a ticket to watch us at the moment, I've gone home genuinely depressed from the last 3 games by how horrible we are.Manager going has to be the first order of business but that wont be enough, the rot has set in much deeper than that.

OrdHibby
11-08-2013, 01:52 PM
Mr Farmer, do you know the meaning of the word 'hopeless'

This is what Hibernian football club is in the hands of Rod Petrie and yourself

This is what the football is under Pat Fenlon

This is how i feel right now

It makes me feel sick.

It makes me ask why are you doing this to so many wonderful customers of your football club ( and it IS your club )

Imagine walking your dog and it falls into the river, its in reach but for some strange reason you can't thrust your hands forward to grasp it as it becomes more distressed. Still you can't reach out and help it. Eventually it will drown and you will feel sick, sick because you felt HOPELESS to do anything. The customers have rallied time and time again yet one man has failed us each and every time because he is in fact HOPELESS.

Thats how many Hibernian supporters have felt for quite a few years now under the chairmanship of Rod Petrie and is total lack on knowledge of what a football clubs needs to bring in more customers ( he can't even stop more customers leaving every season ) to help the club grow.
His total lack of knowledge that a proper and fit football manager is by far the most important part of any club that wants to thrive and be successful.

We are HOPELESS and will remain so until you remove the incumbent that is Rod Petrie.

I and many other seldom frequent Easter Road now and haven't for the sole reason that the fore mentioned is killing the club.

Please do the right thing, cut him up into 100 pieces and you can have him in all your auto care centres instead of your football club. I'm sure 100 pieces of Rod Petrie will be just as successful at one whole Rod Petrie.

I'm finished now, i'm away to hide my head for the next 4 months.

Yours sincerely
A Hopeless supporter

Chuck Rhoades
11-08-2013, 01:54 PM
We're rotten from the top.

Heisenberg
Overall, piss poor managers or young inexperienced one have made hibs failures for last 20 years. The only constant is the board!

STF must be asking why hibs have had such a poor run of poor managers.

I dont think STF is all that bothered tbh...

spike220
We are in a very, very bad way at the moment, and we need a new manager - but I don't agree that we're a soulless club. I don't think Hibs is soulless either, I think Sevco have cornered the market there. We might be crap sometimes, but never soulless.

Persevere80
11-08-2013, 01:57 PM
Being seen as the constant underachievers is one thing but now, we are just a laughing stock.

Funny you say that, the girlfriend said "you know that picture of the hearts stock cube with laughing on it? That will be us now."

TheFamous1875
11-08-2013, 01:57 PM
He'd put the football first.

Keith_M
11-08-2013, 01:59 PM
It's a nice thought but he's no businessman. Unfortunately, we still need someone sharp in the business world at the helm.

However, if he could be brought on board in some capacity to help drive the football side of things, it may be an idea. We seem to have lost our way as to what we expect to see on the pitch.

Eternal Hibbie
11-08-2013, 02:01 PM
What is the e-mail address to do this ?

If enough of us get in touch to tell them enough is enough surely they have to act.

Never seen such vitriol directed towards any Hibs manager, everyone posting here needs to contact the board or we can just forget about anything changing.

Let's get them told !

blackpoolhibs
11-08-2013, 02:01 PM
We have just lost to a very poor football team, and although they never created much bar their goal, we created even less.

I agree we are hopeless, bereft of any real creativity and as ponderous as ever.

Are we allowed to call this lot Fenlons team yet, when will he be accountable for this current mess? I wouldn't give this man another penny to spend, please get rid Petrie, and then follow him out the ****in door.

TheFamous1875
11-08-2013, 02:02 PM
It's a nice thought but he's no businessman. Unfortunately, we still need someone sharp in the business world at the helm.

However, if he could be brought on board in some capacity to help drive the football side of things, it may be an idea. We seem to have lost our way as to what we expect to see on the pitch.

This is pretty much what I meant. Some form of partnership between him and Petrie with Stanton's as the final say. Petrie can do the business part, Stanton the football.

ackeygraham
11-08-2013, 02:04 PM
We have a soul, it's called the fans. Hence why were all on here debating on our next steps.

Pats a nice guy but needs to go as this has just been a continuation of calderwood with lack of tactical nous. Petrie and farmer are holding us back with their lack of moving us forward. We have a great infrastructure but now missing the most important part. A decent, hardworking and winning team. To get beat from hearts with their current plight is a disgrace.

Keith_M
This is pretty much what I meant. Some form of partnership between him and Petrie with Stanton's as the final say. Petrie can do the business part, Stanton the football.

You mean a 'Director of Football'? :wink:

Actually sounds like quite a good idea.

OrdHibby
I've bombarded them since the Blob was in charge but it falls on deaf ears. The people who run the club know nothing about what a football club means to a supporter or how to run the football side.

BH Hibs
11-08-2013, 02:06 PM

Never going to happen in the current football world

Eternal Hibbie
11-08-2013, 02:07 PM
I've bombarded them since the Blob was in charge but it falls on deaf ears. The people who run the club know nothing about what a football club means to a supporter or how to run the football side.

Maybe if we do it in big enough numbers they'll pay attention mate - dunno, have to do something.

TheFamous1875
11-08-2013, 02:08 PM
Never going to happen in the current football world

Walter Smith? :P:

3pm
11-08-2013, 02:09 PM
Do we have any?

Steve20
11-08-2013, 02:10 PM
Nope. If we did, Fenlon would have been gone long before now.

Davy Mac
11-08-2013, 02:18 PM
Do we have any?

RP's standards and expectations are very different from the supporters in my opinion.

For me RP talks about it but doesn't follow it through and that takes guts, vision, willingness, determination, resources and a will to succeed.

Perversely I think he enjoys the managerial challenge when it all kicks off as it makes him look important.

Saorsa
11-08-2013, 02:58 PM
I give you the teflon don

http://i43.tinypic.com/2cdbpdw.jpg

Zero leadership/direction from the very top. Zero ambition, happy drift along in endless mediocrity and on occasion nearly failing miserably at even that.

Everybody at this club has changed but nothing has changed, everybody that is except mr teflon, the decline continues but it's always somebody else's fault. When is the failure ever going tae be the fault of those who run/own this club?

Thecat23
11-08-2013, 03:00 PM
Brilliant post. But be prepared to be shot down mate. Guy is a clown who hires bigger clowns. Wouldn't know a football manager if one slapped him across his smug face.

But hey, our finances are magic like!!!!!!!

Onion
11-08-2013, 03:03 PM
I give you the teflon don

http://i43.tinypic.com/2cdbpdw.jpg

Zero leadership/direction from the very top. Zero ambition, happy drift along in endless mediocrity and on occasion nearly failing miserably at even that.

Everybody at this club has changed but nothing has changed, everybody that is except mr teflon, the decline continues but it's always somebody else's fault. When is the failure ever going tae be the fault of those who run/own this club?

:top marks Sadly, we have an owner who has no idea how to run a football club, and what the hell it's about, so the malaise will perpetuate as we sack Fernlon and appoint another cheap, yes-man who goes along with Petrie's views on how to run an underachieving football club.

Onion
11-08-2013, 03:07 PM
We have just lost to a very poor football team, and although they never created much bar their goal, we created even less.

I agree we are hopeless, bereft of any real creativity and as ponderous as ever.

Are we allowed to call this lot Fenlons team yet, when will he be accountable for this current mess? I wouldn't give this man another penny to spend, please get rid Petrie, and then follow him out the ****in door.

2 years after his appointment as Hibs manager, Pat Fenlon has 14000 Hearts fans singing his praise (not for the first time). That tells you everything you need to know about Fenlon's credibility and how far we have come as a club.

lucky
11-08-2013, 03:13 PM
Usual over reaction to another sicking defeat. But the only person at fault is Pat Fenlon. The board have given him more resources than any other manager in the SPFL outside the old firm and frankly the guys tactics are awful.

OrdHibby
11-08-2013, 03:17 PM

So if you back a three legged horse and it fails do you blame the jockey ? Surely it's your ain fault for picking the dud in the first place, naw :confused:

OrdHibby
11-08-2013, 03:18 PM
Brilliant post. But be prepared to be shot down mate. Guy is a clown who hires bigger clowns. Wouldn't know a football manager if one slapped him across his smug face.

But hey, our finances are magic like!!!!!!!

watch it watch it :take that

PatHead
11-08-2013, 03:23 PM
At the LWT meeting last week we were advised that the Board made no statement after the Malmo game as they didn't want to add fuel to the fire that was surrounding Hibs at the time. The feeling now is a lot more disenchanted than after that game. If the board intend to back Pat Fenlon can they at least have the decency to let the supporters know why? Can they let us know what direction they see the team heading in? Can you let us know you are hurting as much as we are? Can you let us know what is acceptable to us as a club? Lets be honest the product on the park just ain't good enough. Don't hide in the boardroom, have the guts to let us know your thoughts. Hoofball with no goals just is not good enough. Stuff what the press say as they will say it anyway.

CallumLaidlaw
11-08-2013, 03:29 PM
Agree 100%. I've been vocal in backing the manager so we can see what happens now its completely his team. But we're so disjointed. No gameplan, and when we're a goal down, nothing gets changed.

DaveF
11-08-2013, 03:29 PM
Hibs as a football team are a joy for the press. A team of hoofball merchants with no guile, led by an incompetent.

What's not to like from a press perspective, so I agree with your post totally. Those in the boardroom need to step up.

Thecat23
11-08-2013, 03:30 PM
Hibs as a football team are a joy for the press. A team of hoofball merchants with no guile, led by an incompetent.

What's not to like from a press perspective, so I agree with your post totally. Those in the boardroom need to step up.

I'd say they need to step down myself.

Deansy
11-08-2013, 03:32 PM
Usual over reaction to another sicking defeat. But the only person at fault is Pat Fenlon. The board have given him more resources than any other manager in the SPFL outside the old firm and frankly the guys tactics are awful.

Whilst at the same time, the board pay themselves MORE than anyone else in Scottish Football outside of the OF !

What is the e-mail address to do this ?

If enough of us get in touch to tell them enough is enough surely they have to act.

Never seen such vitriol directed towards any Hibs manager, everyone posting here needs to contact the board or we can just forget about anything changing.

Let's get them told !

Sorry but (imho) writing to them will make no difference whatsoever - a physical presence outside ER/EM might ??

DaveF

Yep, you put it better than me.

Agree totally. We need change throughout.

Aldo

And we know the answer to that don't we.... Nae chance...

justlikebrazil
11-08-2013, 03:33 PM
Our club are a shambles just now. Gutted a bought a season ticket!!

Baldy Foghorn
11-08-2013, 03:37 PM
Yep, you put it better than me.

Agree totally. We need change throughout.

Rock and a hard place....Until STF goes RP will remain.....Heaven alone knows why such an underachieving Club, perseveres with poor Boardroom.....

HIBERNIAN-0762
11-08-2013, 03:44 PM
You won't hear a peep out of this board under Farmer or Petrie full stop, the silence is always deafening and when they do say anything it's just above a whisper, it's the accountant boardroom way.

I want Farmer to put the club up for grabs but you can bet your bottom dollar until he is unfit to work then this is the way it's always going to be.

Won't happen of course, just saying.

Godsahibby
11-08-2013, 03:45 PM
Rock and a hard place....Until STF goes RP will remain.....Heaven alone knows why such an underachieving Club, perseveres with poor Boardroom.....

Possibly because if you take the football club out of it, they believe they have a successful business off the park compared to others iN Scotland. That mindset is what has ruined our club on the park.

GodisaHibee
11-08-2013, 03:51 PM
And smell the coffee ladies.

THAT was a total embarrassment, again.

There is something fundamentally wrong at the club and it needs to be sorted NOW.

Doom and Gloomers, Happy Clappers, eh?

This club is in a relegation battle, NOW.

Laugh if you want, the writing is on the wall.

Where are the goals going to come from? WHO are we going to beat?

Farmer..out
Petrie..out
Fenlon...out

There needs to be wholesale change at the club. I don't have the answers, but clearly what we have just doesn't work so something must change.

So, what then?

At present we are in a non-sustainable position, something HAS to give.

Hibercelona
11-08-2013, 03:53 PM
Possibly because if you take the football club out of it, they believe they have a successful business off the park compared to others iN Scotland. That mindset is what has ruined our club on the park.

I wonder if Farmer even knew we were playing Hearts today. I'd suspect not.

matty_f
11-08-2013, 03:54 PM
I believe that there was an agreement at the last LWT meeting that the board would respond to general email input through a statement on the website.

From reading this site, it looks like there will be a large number of emails winging their way towards to board, all with much the same message - Fenlon out.

If the board are going to be true to their word then there HAS to be a statement on the website in response to the feedback.

johnrebus
11-08-2013, 03:56 PM

Over reaction?

We lose pitifully to the Hearts U20 side and this is an over reaction?

Good grief.

:dizzy:

WhileTheChief..
11-08-2013, 03:57 PM
Don't think the board are to blame at all just now.

They have backed Fenlon all the way despite performances and results and have been 'giving him time' to sort it out.

There were plenty on here saying exactly the same so cant really point the finger now.

Petrie's no daft. He knows things have to change but also doesn't want to be appear rash as it may have looked if he had acted after Malmo.

He now needs to decide whether to act now or in a few weeks. Either way PF will have to go.

Hibs07p
11-08-2013, 03:58 PM
I think the "BUSINESS" is about to get a swift kick to the BAWS, when the fans stop attending.

Stringer
11-08-2013, 04:04 PM
I think the "BUSINESS" is about to get a swift kick to the BAWS, when the fans stop attending.

Petrie won't care. They have sold 10k ST so the money is in the bank.

No point and debating problems at board level, we can't change that. Getting a new coach though is a must. Pat is unwilling to change things, when something isn't working he sticks to it.

cam2644
11-08-2013, 04:10 PM
Sir Tom Farmer is the club owner and there is nobody else on the horizon. He seems to have confidence in Rod Petrie still despite years of under achievement and a series of costly mistakes.However STF must see the club is withering away and it's going to be very difficult to win fans back.As others have suggested it seems that the Board must now come clean with the fans,admit that some terrible mistakes have been made and participate more with the fans in planning the future.
Pat Fenlon seems a nice guy but we need a real toughie as the next manager and we need more football savvy people on the Board.

Saorsa
11-08-2013, 04:13 PM
Usual over reaction to another sicking defeat. But the only person at fault is Pat Fenlon. The board have given him more resources than any other manager in the SPFL outside the old firm and frankly the guys tactics are awful.They may well have backed him but they keep picking and backing the wrong managers. How many now? And many hundreds of thousands have these **** ups cost in pay offs? What are Petrie's qualification for picking a manager? Half a dozen managers in as many years, 3 consecutive bottom 3 finishes, is that really Farmer's idea of somebody doing a good job at a fitba club (no a business) with our resources? If it is then he either disnae give a toss or his judgement needs tae be questioned.

What is the fitba (not business) strategy at this club other than drifting along on a sea of mediocrity?

KingFranck
11-08-2013, 04:13 PM
This board don't get me started! The same board that didn't bother replying to my emails about the cost of attending sub standard spl games they don't give two hoots about the fans so good luck trying to contact them as said before this club is rotten to the core and that's why I haven't renewed my ST for 2 years now

Hibs07p
11-08-2013, 04:24 PM
Petrie won't care. They have sold 10k ST so the money is in the bank.

No point and debating problems at board level, we can't change that. Getting a new coach though is a must. Pat is unwilling to change things, when something isn't working he sticks to it.

Petrie will care when the ST's stop attending and even less walk ups, walk the other way.

Hibeesforever
11-08-2013, 04:27 PM

Unfortunately for Pat, this is where he falls down. Injuries have depleted his team but as we see from other clubs with smaller turnovers and similar shortages, their use of resources is much better. Training ground, great stadium and fantastic support but a manager and culture setting board which don't seem to be able to provide the product on the pitch. Rather than buying for players, board have to decide if "investing" in the sacking of Fenlon is the right decision. Like others, I felt that continuity rather than knee jerk was the best policy but after witnessing Hibs best player today in Robertson being subed just when he was hitting his straps and Stevenson being rewarded for a shocking first half by being moved to right back, is making me seriously think that a new manager could work. I would make KT captain and turn East Mains into a boot camp. A few fans protests down there too would help focus minds and make the new guys realise how lucky they are to be wearing the green jersey. Frankly, I would be surprised if Sir Tom even knew if there was a game taking place today.
Hibernian FC is more than just a prudent Balance Sheet, it needs inspirational leadership throught the club. A marketing campaign led by the triumvirate of Farmer, Petrie and Fenlon has zero chance of ever attracting a crowd like the size Hibs had against Malmo again.

Bishop Hibee
11-08-2013, 04:28 PM
There has been a malaise at ER since Yogi was appointed. Yogi got away with it through Stokes's goals Calderclown was a shambles and Fenlon got way with it through Griffith's goals but there is no hiding place now.

Petrie has done a great job in overseeing the building of a 20K stadium and an excellent training facility while keeping the debt at manageable levels but he should have gone after the final v Hearts and a new dynamic Chair/Chief Executive should have come in. Lets be honest, the club is going nowhere except a relegation dogfight.

Our marketing is pathetic. The shop is a joke given the lack of stock. There are an army of retired professionals in all walks of life who would happily give of their time for nothing to help the club they love. Two of the billboards in the West Stand haven't been sold. I bought a program for the first time in years before the Motherwell game. Pathetic effort and I won't be buying one again. However it was interesting, frustrating and depressing to see that the "Sponsors" page had 72 slots for sponsorship of home kit, away kit and boots and only 15 of the slots were filled. ****ing disgrace of an attempt to market the club.

I remember in the 70's and 80's loads of local Leith businesses and pubs and beyond had adverts in the programme and at the ground. Why have these links, however small, been allowed to die? With the internet site and the number of hits it gets, Hibs youtube channel, facebook page, twitter etc we should be maximising revenue streams. Were there 'kits' for kids going back to school in the shop e.g. rucksack, pencil case etc along with stuff to equip a kids room like duvet covers, lampshades etc. in the shop because there was NOTHING like that when I was there for Malmo tickets.

With the number of kids who now say "I don't watch Scottish football" or who have other interests, we need a presence in the community throughout the Lothians and beyond encouraging kids and families to come to ER. WE laugh at free ticket schemes but if it gets kids into Hibs and they buy the *****y food we have on offer and give money to the club that way then great.

Fenlon out now and Petrie to arrange his departure and new blood with fresh ideas at the top.

God Petrie
11-08-2013, 04:37 PM
Hibs have never recovered from Mowbray.

OrdHibby
11-08-2013, 04:44 PM

Hibs have never recovered from Petrie stealing from the football team to cover his mistakes on the business side. Selling a team of talent isn't good business yet he's revered in some quarters including our awol owner.
He's never had a business plan. What would have happened if the golden generation hadn't surfaced. Where would this have left us ? Yet the guy responsible for them ( John Park )was allowed to leave for next to nothing at a time our board were creaming nearly £500K a year from the club.

He's a charlatan.

Bishop Hibee
11-08-2013, 06:19 PM

Eh? Mowbray's side played some of the most exciting football it's been my pleasure to watch as a Hibee. I assume you mean "since Mowbray"?

Hibs have never recovered from Petrie stealing from the football team to cover his mistakes on the business side. Selling a team of talent isn't good business yet he's revered in some quarters including our awol owner.
He's never had a business plan. What would have happened if the golden generation hadn't surfaced. Where would this have left us ? Yet the guy responsible for them ( John Park )was allowed to leave for next to nothing at a time our board were creaming nearly £500K a year from the club.

He's a charlatan.

To be fair to Petrie the money from the golden generation led to a 20K all seater stadium which is the envy of all in the Scottish Premiership bar Celtc and a purpose built training facility. Players like Thomson, Brown, Whittaker etc. were always going to leave although you can argue about some of the timing. I'd agree with you that he takes too much in an annual salary from the club. Is it 200K per annum? His time was up after the defeat to Hearts in the cup final and the fans have to let him know his time is up.

IWasThere2016
11-08-2013, 07:43 PM
2 years after his appointment as Hibs manager, Pat Fenlon has 14000 Hearts fans singing his praise (not for the first time). That tells you everything you need to know about Fenlon's credibility and how far we have come as a club.

Spot on! Embarrassing.. Get rid ffs!

Albion Hibs
11-08-2013, 07:53 PM
I don't feel the blame lies with the board and certainly not the owner. They have done everything for the manager, he has had far more backing then most in the league. Their job is to run the club and ensure we do not end up in the situation that hearts have done, this is something they have managed successfully. The manager has failed to do his job, if the board were to leave him there for any longer then I would see that as a failing, but I am pretty sure that with the exception of Lennon at Celtic every other manager in the league would bite your had off for the board/ the backing that then have given fenlon.

Mister P
11-08-2013, 07:57 PM
since Mowbry!

whats the crack, have they all been ******?
is it funding from the board?

is there a deeper issue as surely they cant all have been cr@p?

thoughts.

Pretty Boy
11-08-2013, 07:57 PM
I've always backed the board but i'm starting to believe something isn't right.

Not sure what but just something. Still refuse to believe that another manager couldn't do better even if there is something wrong higher up though

Hibercelona
11-08-2013, 08:06 PM
It all went down hill after the row between JC and the players. We haven't been the same since.

It seems to have had some sort of on going domino effect. Nothing has gone right since then.

Weir7
11-08-2013, 08:12 PM

He's a charlatan.
I agree your cooments on petrie but not
John Park. He had nothing to do with the golden generation. I'm good mates with quite a few of them. I know how they ended up at Hibs.

John Park is an internet myth. I'll tell you who he scouted. Zibi.

He came to hibs in 1998 and didn't achieve much in that time

greenpaper55
11-08-2013, 08:13 PM
I find it interesting that with the exception of blobby ( not sure if RP was chairman then or not ) RP has always gone for managers who are young and largely unproven at SPL level, now it may be that he thinks he can spot an up and coming manager and he got it right with Mowbray so he thinks-no he knows he is the man to spot a manager and when that said manager takes Hibs onto great things then he will be an asset to move on just as you would a player. That for me is the root of the problem in that he thinks there is no sell on value for a proven SPL manager such as Butcher-oh and they are cheaper as well!.

Ray_
11-08-2013, 08:23 PM
I find it interesting that with the exception of blobby ( not sure if RP was chairman then or not ) RP has always gone for managers who are young and largely unproven at SPL level, now it may be that he thinks he can spot an up and coming manager and he got it right with Mowbray so he thinks-no he knows he is the man to spot a manager and when that said manager takes Hibs onto great things then he will be an asset to move on just as you would a player. That for me is the root of the problem in that he thinks there is no sell on value for a proven SPL manager such as Butcher-oh and they are cheaper as well!.

Petrie has been involved with managerial appointments since Jim Duffy.

Kaiser1962
11-08-2013, 08:26 PM
Mowbray was a one off which we can all see now.

Just this point TC.

If you take Mowbray out the equation (as there are those who will argue that his success at Hibs was all about timing) you would have to ask when we we last had a manager who could be regarded as a success?

Mcleish almost bust us and before him I believe we have to go back as far as Ned. The point I am making is that there have been different managers, different owners and different chairmen throughout that near 40 year period. It dosent appear to be a new, or recent, phenomenon.

HibbyAndy
11-08-2013, 08:28 PM
Just this point TC.

If you take Mowbray out the equation (as there are those who will argue that his success at Hibs was all about timing) you would have to ask when we we last had a manager who could be regarded as a success?

Mcleish almost bust us and before him I believe we have to go back as far as Ned. The point I am making is that there have been different managers, different owners and different chairmen throughout that near 40 year period. It dosent appear to be a new, or recent, phenomenon.

John Collins?...Pretty sure winning the League cup was a success.

Mister P
11-08-2013, 08:31 PM

you're probably spot on there.

so the boards cheapness could be the problem!! they'll bang on about supporting the manager with a reasonable budget but they wont invest in a worthy manager in the first place.

Captain Trips
11-08-2013, 08:33 PM
Surely it's time now for Fenlon to go but surely the blame is much deeper rooted.

How many dud managers in a row is it since we had a good team that played well.

The board are the ones who bring the managers in and in the last 15 years the only ones with pass marks are Mowbray (who fell into a squad with talented youngsters coming through) and John Collins and the board backed the players rather than him

Too many bobby williamsons, calderwoods, yogi, mixu and duffys!

The Board has to go and STF must be able to see that all these recent failures start at the top

Being saying this for years

Ray_
11-08-2013, 08:34 PM
Just this point TC.

I disagree with that, what nearly busted us was having a pool of fifty odd players, many of whom were second rate players on big money contracts from Jim Duffy's era. McLeish had to bring in a new set of players to get the club up and sure, like anyone, he made mistakes, but the lower division passengers we had signed, weren't getting a game and they were never going to move, after their highly inflated transfer fees and bumber contracts that were secured, thanks to Jim Duffy and our current hapless chairman.

Alfred E Newman
11-08-2013, 08:35 PM

This. The board have been let down by Fenlons lack of ability.

SquashedFrogg
11-08-2013, 08:35 PM
Just this point TC.

Loss of tv income 'nearly bust us', not McLeish....

Onion
11-08-2013, 08:39 PM
since Mowbry!

whats the crack, have they all been ******?
is it funding from the board?

is there a deeper issue as surely they cant all have been cr@p?

thoughts.

Simple answer .. how many have gone on to be good managers after Hibs ? That tells you everything about our Board's ability to spot and recruit good managers. Clueless.

SquashedFrogg
11-08-2013, 08:40 PM
This. The board have been let down by Fenlons lack of ability.

Totally... RP and board bashing is astonishing...

Be careful what you wish for is all I'd say...

Saorsa
11-08-2013, 08:40 PM
This. The board have been let down by Fenlons lack of ability.They picked him did they not? And the numerous duds before him they've had tae pay off. What is their qualification tae pick a manager? (I'd imagine cheap would be near the top of the list when picking) When does it become their fault for continually picking the wrong mangers? Who else has got it wrong so many times in succession? How many hundreds of thousand have these mistakes cost us?

Mister P
11-08-2013, 08:43 PM
have to echo whats been said on here already.
this starts at the top, the top are responsible for who they put in the managerial seat.
regardless if its through cheapness or complete lack of knowledge, they appear to have failed in managerial recruitment for quite some time, other than the exception (Mowbray).

SquashedFrogg
11-08-2013, 08:44 PM
There has been a malaise at ER since Yogi was appointed. Yogi got away with it through Stokes's goals Calderclown was a shambles and Fenlon got way with it through Griffith's goals but there is no hiding place now.

Petrie has done a great job in overseeing the building of a 20K stadium and an excellent training facility while keeping the debt at manageable levels but he should have gone after the final v Hearts and a new dynamic Chair/Chief Executive should have come in. Lets be honest, the club is going nowhere except a relegation dogfight.

Our marketing is pathetic. The shop is a joke given the lack of stock. There are an army of retired professionals in all walks of life who would happily give of their time for nothing to help the club they love. Two of the billboards in the West Stand haven't been sold. I bought a program for the first time in years before the Motherwell game. Pathetic effort and I won't be buying one again. However it was interesting, frustrating and depressing to see that the "Sponsors" page had 72 slots for sponsorship of home kit, away kit and boots and only 15 of the slots were filled. ****ing disgrace of an attempt to market the club.

I remember in the 70's and 80's loads of local Leith businesses and pubs and beyond had adverts in the programme and at the ground. Why have these links, however small, been allowed to die? With the internet site and the number of hits it gets, Hibs youtube channel, facebook page, twitter etc we should be maximising revenue streams. Were there 'kits' for kids going back to school in the shop e.g. rucksack, pencil case etc along with stuff to equip a kids room like duvet covers, lampshades etc. in the shop because there was NOTHING like that when I was there for Malmo tickets.

With the number of kids who now say "I don't watch Scottish football" or who have other interests, we need a presence in the community throughout the Lothians and beyond encouraging kids and families to come to ER. WE laugh at free ticket schemes but if it gets kids into Hibs and they buy the *****y food we have on offer and give money to the club that way then great.

Fenlon out now and Petrie to arrange his departure and new blood with fresh ideas at the top.

Some fair points but can be apportioned to every club in Scotland...

We are not immune to Scottish footballs implosion...

Take a look around when you visit other teams...

Kaiser1962
11-08-2013, 08:53 PM
I disagree with that, what nearly busted us was having a pool of fifty odd players, many of whom were second rate players on big money contracts from Jim Duffy's era. McLeish had to bring in a new set of players to get the club up and sure, like anyone, he made mistakes, but the lower division passengers we had signed, weren't getting a game and they were never going to move, after their highly inflated transfer fees and bumber contracts that were secured, thanks to Jim Duffy and our current hapless chairman.

I think it was 85 at one point Ray and I dont entirely disagree but I still think McLeish was largely culpable for the debt, as a result of wages and contracts offered that were largely unsustainable, which obviously had to approved by the board as well.

They speculated and lost.

Onion
11-08-2013, 09:01 PM
Totally... RP and board bashing is astonishing...

Be careful what you wish for is all I'd say...

We're a football club. The single objective of the Board is to run a successful football club. The club has seriously under-performed for the last 6 years and looks like failing again this season. The Board is ultimately accountable for that performance - no one else.. not the manager, not the players, not the owner. In any other business or football club the owner would hold the Board to account. The problem at Hibs is we have an absent owner who does not understand the business. QED the only people who are able to hold the Board to account are the fans. What do they have to say about the club's performance ? What is our strategy, our goals, our short, medium and longer terms plans for the team ? What is the Board's vision and how do we plan to get there ? Why do they still think Fenlon's the right man for the job ? The Board have a lot to answer for, yet we hear nothing.

brianmc
11-08-2013, 09:02 PM
Man for man, on paper, our team today was miles ahead of the ****s-the problem was what happened once they reached the grass.
Who's to blame for that??

Kaiser1962
11-08-2013, 09:10 PM
John Collins?...Pretty sure winning the League cup was a success.

It was Andy but again there is the argument that it was Mowbrays team. It was the third major trophy that Hibs have lifted in my lifetime and, right now, it is feeling like it might be the last I see.

SquashedFrogg
11-08-2013, 09:11 PM
Man for man, on paper, our team today was miles ahead of the ****s-the problem was what happened once they reached the grass.
Who's to blame for that??

Precisely... The manager...

The board have given the manager "that's the manager of footballing operations" the tools required...

Clearly he has failed... He will be gone and we move on...

Bishop Hibee
11-08-2013, 09:17 PM
Some fair points but can be apportioned to every club in Scotland...

We are not immune to Scottish footballs implosion...

Take a look around when you visit other teams...

I'm not asking any Chairman/Chief Exec to bust the bank, merely to give the club some direction and to give the fans an indication that they can take the club forward. If the small things are done well than the big things will fall into place. The TV that me and the mates normally watch on the East Stand concourse at half time was out of order for the Motherwell game. "Big deal!" Maybe so but to me it just gives an indication of a club in decay. Someone should be checking that everything is tip-top for the start of the season. Why not have any electrical goods sponsor/club partner for all the TV's etc. round the ground? Those in charge at ER need to show some gumption or get out and let those who will takeover.

SquashedFrogg
11-08-2013, 09:20 PM
We're a football club. The single objective of the Board is to run a successful football club. The club has seriously under-performed for the last 6 years and looks like failing again this season. The Board is ultimately accountable for that performance - no one else.. not the manager, not the players, not the owner. In any other business or football club the owner would hold the Board to account. The problem at Hibs is we have an absent owner who does not understand the business. QED the only people who are able to hold the Board to account are the fans. What do they have to say about the club's performance ? What is our strategy, our goals, our short, medium and longer terms plans for the team ? What is the Board's vision and how do we plan to get there ? Why do they still think Fenlon's the right man for the job ? The Board have a lot to answer for, yet we hear nothing.

The board is accountable... But the club hasn't failed. I'd say the players and more so the managers have failed...

Our club gives managers and players far more than many clubs....

Tactics and player management are our downfall.

SquashedFrogg
11-08-2013, 09:23 PM
I'm not asking any Chairman/Chief Exec to bust the bank, merely to give the club some direction and to give the fans an indication that they can take the club forward. If the small things are done well than the big things will fall into place. The TV that me and the mates normally watch on the East Stand concourse at half time was out of order for the Motherwell game. "Big deal!" Maybe so but to me it just gives an indication of a club in decay. Someone should be checking that everything is tip-top for the start of the season. Why not have any electrical goods sponsor/club partner for all the TV's etc. round the ground? Those in charge at ER need to show some gumption or get out and let those who will takeover.

Fair enough points, get a pie technician in while you're at it as they are getting worse every week... (Kidding)

Perhaps the solution is fan ownership? Dunno?

Greater input from those who care?

Saorsa
11-08-2013, 09:26 PM
The board is accountable... But the club hasn't failed. I'd say the players and more so the managers have failed...

Our club gives managers and players far more than many clubs....

Tactics and player management are our downfall.And who is it that keeps picking these managers? When in your opinion do those running the show become responsible for the failures and the money they are costing? If they are incapable of picking a decent manager (and they've had enough shots) then maybe they should seek help from somebody better qualified tae do so because they dinnae have a ****in' clue.

Ozyhibby
11-08-2013, 09:29 PM
Love how Petrie is getting it in the neck for recruiting Fenlon, yet up until three weeks ago any criticism of Fenlon on here was met with a barrage of abuse.
To the majority on here, Fenlon was the right man for the job, he just needed more time, look at the mess he inherited etc etc.
So, if after 18 months in the job the majority on here still thought he was the right man for the job, why is it Petrie's fault he's still here? If Petrie had sacked him when he should have then the majority on here would be after his head for not backing Pat.
The crazy world of Hibs.net.

HFC 0-7
11-08-2013, 09:32 PM
It was Andy but again there is the argument that it was Mowbrays team. It was the third major trophy that Hibs have lifted in my lifetime and, right now, it is feeling like it might be the last I see.

It may have been mowbrays team but jc done something with it that Mowbray couldn't. For all jc's flaws he had that team fit and incredibly well drilled. Every player knew what their job was.

Kaiser1962
11-08-2013, 09:36 PM
It may have been mowbrays team but jc done something with it that Mowbray couldn't. For all jc's flaws he had that team fit and incredibly well drilled. Every player knew what their job was.

You have to ask why he's not managing then.

sidneyhibbie
11-08-2013, 09:37 PM
Mr Farmer, do you know the meaning of the word 'hopeless'

This is what Hibernian football club is in the hands of Rod Petrie and yourself

This is what the football is under Pat Fenlon

This is how i feel right now

It makes me feel sick.

It makes me ask why are you doing this to so many wonderful customers of your football club ( and it IS your club )

Imagine walking your dog and it falls into the river, its in reach but for some strange reason you can't thrust your hands forward to grasp it as it becomes more distressed. Still you can't reach out and help it. Eventually it will drown and you will feel sick, sick because you felt HOPELESS to do anything. The customers have rallied time and time again yet one man has failed us each and every time because he is in fact HOPELESS.

Thats how many Hibernian supporters have felt for quite a few years now under the chairmanship of Rod Petrie and is total lack on knowledge of what a football clubs needs to bring in more customers ( he can't even stop more customers leaving every season ) to help the club grow.
His total lack of knowledge that a proper and fit football manager is by far the most important part of any club that wants to thrive and be successful.

We are HOPELESS and will remain so until you remove the incumbent that is Rod Petrie.

I and many other seldom frequent Easter Road now and haven't for the sole reason that the fore mentioned is killing the club.

Please do the right thing, cut him up into 100 pieces and you can have him in all your auto care centres instead of your football club. I'm sure 100 pieces of Rod Petrie will be just as successful at one whole Rod Petrie.

I'm finished now, i'm away to hide my head for the next 4 months.

Yours sincerely
A Hopeless supporter

At least we are not broke its been a bad day and we all know Paddy and Petrie have to go however we can regroup and move forward and we are not bust like the yam fuds :flag:

SquashedFrogg
11-08-2013, 09:41 PM
And who is it that keeps picking these managers? When in your opinion do those running the show become responsible for the failures and the money they are costing? If they are incapable of picking a decent manager (and they've had enough shots) then maybe they should seek help from somebody better qualified tae do so because they dinnae have a ****in' clue.

Those running the club are always responsible... I guess time will tell if a change at that level will happen anytime soon.

My feeling is though, the club are on a sound footing and go through a legitimate process when appointing managers.

Here's a question... , How successful have we been in the 25/30 years before Petrie was at the helm?

Saorsa
11-08-2013, 09:58 PM
Those running the club are always responsible... I guess time will tell if a change at that level will happen anytime soon.

My feeling is though, the club are on a sound footing and go through a legitimate process when appointing managers.

Here's a question... , How successful have we been in the 25/30 years before Petrie was at the helm?Not very unfortunately. Though how many times in that same period have we appointed so many bad managers? We're having tae get rid of one just about every year now. Continually getting rid of managers winnae help if the same person/people making the mistakes are picking the new one based on the same criteria of which I have nae doubt being cheap is pretty near the top.

HFC 0-7
11-08-2013, 10:01 PM
You have to ask why he's not managing then.

i don't have to ask that at all. I said that although it was someone else's team, he managed that team to a cup final victory which is something that the man who assembled that team couldn't do. John Collins also had that team very very well organised. He had his flaws but he is only the second manager in about 40 years that had won us a cup. About another 20 odd managers have tried and failed in those 40 years.

HFC 0-7
11-08-2013, 10:03 PM

Here's a question... , How successful have we been in the 25/30 years before Petrie was at the helm?

Heard this a few times. Are you saying that because we were just as pish before he came in that its acceptable to not have moved forward on the park?

SquashedFrogg
11-08-2013, 10:12 PM
Heard this a few times. Are you saying that because we were just as pish before he came in that its acceptable to not have moved forward on the park?

No. What a silly question.

I'm merely pointing out that our poor performances have been occurring for a long, long, time.... Therefor there may be more to it than just RP?

Kaiser1962
11-08-2013, 10:13 PM
i don't have to ask that at all. I said that although it was someone else's team, he managed that team to a cup final victory which is something that the man who assembled that team couldn't do. John Collins also had that team very very well organised. He had his flaws but he is only the second manager in about 40 years that had won us a cup. About another 20 odd managers have tried and failed in those 40 years.

He won a trophy and no one can take that away from him. As is said it was one of the best days I have had as a Hibs supporter.

WestStandMoaner
12-08-2013, 06:17 PM
For all those who bleep on about STF saving our club, Hibs would have survived with or without Tom Farmer. First and foremost he is a businessman and I can assure you he will not have lost money on Hibs, the infrastructure and East Mains have been funded by selling our best talent and replacing them with journeymen and second rate footballers. His right hand man Petrie rules the board with an iron fist, the manager has a budget but he is not in control of it. Every AGM Farmer stands at the back of the room then steps in and uses his professional business skills to calm the room down when the board and Petrie are getting a hard time. If you want your club back, then you need to take on Farmer and Petrie, a chant of sack the board by 8000 Hibs fans on Saturday would have them scrambling for cover. The media would jump on this and one thing Farmer, Petrie and the Board don't want is the media on their backs. Its time to name a stand the Sir Tom Farmer Stand, thank him very much and move on. Our club is dying, its time for change. :flag: Moan over for today

therealgavmac
12-08-2013, 06:20 PM
For all those who bleep on about STF saving our club, Hibs would have survived with or without Tom Farmer. First and foremost he is a businessman and I can assure you he will not have lost money on Hibs, the infrastructure and East Mains have been funded by selling our best talent and replacing them with journeymen and second rate footballers. His right hand man Petrie rules the board with an iron fist, the manager has a budget but he is not in control of it. Every AGM Farmer stands at the back of the room then steps in and uses his professional business skills to calm the room down when the board and Petrie are getting a hard time. If you want your club back, then you need to take on Farmer and Petrie, a chant of sack the board by 8000 Hibs fans on Saturday would have them scrambling for cover. The media would jump on this and one thing Farmer, Petrie and the Board don't want is the media on their backs. Its time to name a stand the Sir Tom Farmer Stand, thank him very much and move on. Our club is dying, its time for change. :flag: Moan over for today

:cb

le bill
12-08-2013, 06:20 PM

Utter tosh

hibby67
12-08-2013, 06:24 PM
Talking pish

CropleyWasGod
12-08-2013, 06:27 PM
For all those who bleep on about STF saving our club, Hibs would have survived with or without Tom Farmer.

Take me through that.

Gus Fring
12-08-2013, 06:30 PM

:yw:

Beefster
12-08-2013, 06:31 PM
STF isn't above criticism but why is it always ravers that do it?

CropleyWasGod
12-08-2013, 06:32 PM
I saw STF out in George Street on Saturday lunchtime.

24 hours before a big game? It's just not on, you know.

WestStandMoaner
12-08-2013, 06:36 PM
Take me through that. There where other parties interested in Saving Hibs. Farmer as far as the banks where concerned was the best option. All I am saying is the fans would have made sure Hibs survived. I have may be a bit harsh in my opinion but I truly feel the present custodians of the club need to go

cabbageandribs1875
12-08-2013, 06:37 PM
these controversial threads are always good for bringing out the posters with other user names :coffee:

Ken
12-08-2013, 06:43 PM

Absolute rubbish!! Hibs need to spend within their means and that's what the board have been trying to do. We've lost money and the debt has increased in the last 2 sets of accounts so I for one don't want to see us spending anymore than we can afford.

I think the fact that Hibs have came out and said that money made from season tickets will go to the player budget is fair enough and the fact we have spent money on transfer fees this summer as well as signing players of the calibre of Kevin Thomson shows that we have ambition.

I for one think our squad is one of the top 4 in the SPFL and I'd go as far as saying if Collins turns out to be worth the transfer we paid and we sign Paddy McCourt it could be the 2nd best in the league.

Is Fenlon the right man to lead the team? IMHO I'd say no.

Saorsa
12-08-2013, 06:56 PM
Absolute rubbish!! Hibs need to spend within their means and that's what the board have been trying to do. We've lost money and the debt has increased in the last 2 sets of accounts so I for one don't want to see us spending anymore than we can afford.

I think the fact that Hibs have came out and said that money made from season tickets will go to the player budget is fair enough and the fact we have spent money on transfer fees this summer as well as signing players of the calibre of Kevin Thomson shows that we have ambition.

I for one think our squad is one of the top 4 in the SPFL and I'd go as far as saying if Collins turns out to be worth the transfer we paid and we sign Paddy McCourt it could be the 2nd best in the league.

Is Fenlon the right man to lead the team? IMHO I'd say no.And neither was the last one or the one before or the one before or the one before that.

We've lost money awrite, and how much of it has been lost on paying off dud after dud after dud appointed by Petrie. How much of it has been lost due tae years of decline and pish on the park and people getting sick tae the back teeth of it? We're losing more money paying for Petrie's mistakes than we are spending it on players we cannae afford. Maybe if all that money had been spent paying a decent manager in the 1st place instead of a succession of cheap duds we wouldnae be in this mess. Instead we get cheap, unproven or unheard of managers one after another.

WestStandMoaner
12-08-2013, 06:56 PM

Is Fenlon the right man to lead the team? IMHO I'd say no. In the meantime we get beat of hearts youth team, humiliated in two cup finals, worst result in Europe for a Scottish Team and at no point did I mention over spending on our budgets all I said was all the revenue brought in from selling our best players went on infrastructure and second rate players. What is absolute rubbish is the way some Hibs fans are happy finishing below Ross County, Motherwell, ICT and so on. As for the debt, its there because gates are dropping because of the brutal football on offer. We are lucky we got in two successive cup finals because we had not reached them the debt would have been a lot higher

Hibernia&Alba
12-08-2013, 07:01 PM
At least there is still a sense of humour at the club. Just who they are laughing at I'm not so sure.
Go to the fishy site and as bold as brass they tell you there is a comedian performing at Easter Road.

Which position does he play? It's hard to tell.