PDA

View Full Version : The Taiwo Substitution.....

Hibby 2005
11-08-2013, 01:18 PM
.....was the moment Fenlon lost me.

0-0 and needing a win to save himself he throws caution to the wind and brings on yet another defensive midfielder.

SlickShoes
11-08-2013, 01:20 PM
All we have are defensive midfielders and super hero Lewis Stevenson

California-Hibs
11-08-2013, 01:20 PM
No for me it was bring on Stanton instead on Caldwell, that was sheer madness. It's actually pretty scary how clueless he is. He's lost this supporter that's for sure, he deserves zero support for what he's doing to our club. High ball eye bleeding football garbage. He has surely lost his job now, SURELY!

California-Hibs
11-08-2013, 01:22 PM

Who Hibs fans continue to love and sing his praises. We're going NOWHERE with him in the team!!

Expecting Rain
11-08-2013, 01:23 PM

0-0 and needing a win to save himself he throws caution to the wind and brings on yet another defensive midfielder.

Absolutely and the decision to play Stevenson at right back in the second half after what was probably one of his worst games for Hibs at left back was totally beyond understanding. Wonder what Caldwell was thinking, especially after scoring a late winner the last time.

SunshineOnLeith
11-08-2013, 01:24 PM
I could see the logic in taking Robertson off as he was booked and still flying into challenges, but to put Taiwo on was incredibly negative, Stanton could have come on at that point and played attacking midfield.

Caldwell not getting on the pitch, considering his scoring record against this batch of hearts players, was baffling.

pontius pilate
11-08-2013, 01:25 PM
If he had changed tawio with jones who again was anonymous and brought on an attack minded player fine but his substitutions are like him clueless

Devilstorment
11-08-2013, 01:28 PM
Absolutely and the decision to play Stevenson at right back in the second half after what was probably one of his worst games for Hibs at left back was totally beyond understanding. Wonder what Caldwell was thinking, especially after scoring a late winner the last time.

Hopefully respected his managers opinion. Thinking that scoring the winner 4 months ago means you should be walking in to the squad is a dangerous mentality for a player so young and inexperienced.

... But i get what your saying, he should have been giving a shot. Vine didnt look like scoring in a month of sundays

patch1875
11-08-2013, 01:35 PM
Taiwo should have started Robertson is rank

edinburghhibee
11-08-2013, 01:38 PM

Think you watched a different game to me Robertson was our only midfielder trying to burst a gut to get into the box

The Leith Dutch
11-08-2013, 01:39 PM

Spot on.

He sent out a team to hoof it over the midfield and his game changer is to stick a short defensive midfielder on.
Really?

Expecting Rain
Hopefully respected his managers opinion. Thinking that scoring the winner 4 months ago means you should be walking in to the squad is a dangerous mentality for a player so young and inexperienced.

... But i get what your saying, he should have been giving a shot. Vine didnt look like scoring in a month of sundays

We`ve a manager who picks teams and employs tactics to save his job and then enthuses about tight scorelines, there`s a frightening lack of detail in the 90 minutes which we all have to suffer, the majority of the team looks perplexed as to what is their actual roles within the team.

Aldo

Tell you what if Robertson is rank then wtf is OTJ.

When he jumped you couldnt even stick a rizzler paper between him and ground.

Shocking player.

TT for me would start every game. The guys a class act. We missed him harrying about the middle of the park.

Devilstorment
11-08-2013, 01:40 PM

Sorry mate, you have that Wrong.

I hated Robertson last season, hated him. But I hold my hands up a load of folk said give him preseason and next year he will be decent.

So far along with KT, he is best player for us (... not that there are many candidates for the prestigious award)

Hibercelona
11-08-2013, 01:41 PM
He could have brought on Ronaldo and Messi and we still wouldn't have looked like scoring. There was no service being offered to the front men. Bringing on Caldwell wouldn't have made any difference.

LancsHibs
11-08-2013, 01:44 PM

Stevenson is not a bad squad player to cover on the left hand side and has been a good servant to Hibs, what he is not is a right back, he is hopeless in that position but numpty baws keeps playing him there, not Stevenson's fault, he is doing his best.

Kaff

I rate TT but if that was Robertson on the end of LC's cross we would have been a goal up. He should have replaced OTJ and as someone else said Caldwell or at least Stanton for Robertson, lost any attacking edge.
I was a big fan of Fenlon and I really hope he resigns as I would have respect for that but that doesn't seem to happen anymore.

California-Hibs
Tell you what if Robertson is rank then wtf is OTJ.

When he jumped you couldnt even stick a rizzler paper between him and ground.

Shocking player.

TT for me would start every game. The guys a class act. We missed him harrying about the middle of the park.

Agree with you completely. What the HELL was Pat thinking signing this Tudar Jone character?! Terrible terrible player, a waste of a wage. Yes some might say it's early but it's already so apparent that this huddy will NOT contribute might to our team.

ballengeich
11-08-2013, 01:46 PM
Taiwo, like Thomson and Tudur-Jones, is a defensive midfielder who is next to no threat to the opposition goal. They're all decent players sitting just in front of the back line, but imo only one of them should be on the park unless we're playing for a 0-0 or trying to protect a lead late on. To field all three at one point against a team of Hearts standard epitomised Fenlon's defensive approach.

LaMotta
Robertson was one of our best performers today - i suppose the substitution makes sense if he was knackered/picked up a knock/in danger of getting a second booking.

The Stanton sub was the crazy one, he just doesnt look ready for first team football. We had Caldwell on the bench who has proved he can make an impact, and two strikers who had been absolutely gash for the whole game who could have came off.

LancsHibs

Thought Robertson was one of our better players today and last week, all about opinions!

Bostonhibby
11-08-2013, 01:47 PM
No for me it was bring on Stanton instead on Caldwell, that was sheer madness. It's actually pretty scary how clueless he is. He's lost this supporter that's for sure, he deserves zero support for what he's doing to our club. High ball eye bleeding football garbage. He has surely lost his job now, SURELY!
Completely agree re the substitution.seems pat learnt nothing from Motherwell. When Well knew we had ran out of ideas they put a couple of strikers on and it was game over. We had the chance today. The game passed Stanton by as well,.poor substitution.

Billychaotic182
11-08-2013, 01:49 PM

Robertson played well what game were you watching?

Aldo
11-08-2013, 01:51 PM
Taiwo, like Thomson and Tudur-Jones, is a defensive midfielder who is next to no threat to the opposition goal. They're all decent players sitting just in front of the back line, but imo only one of them should be on the park unless we're playing for a 0-0 or trying to protect a lead late on. To field all three at one point against a team of Hearts standard epitomised Fenlon's defensive approach.

I don't know if you watched the game but TT burst a gut to get onto a cross from Craig and was unlucky. With no Jorge I will gladly have
Thomson and TT as my sitting Midfielders. For me they complement each other.

Thomson was doing the work of Jones until he went off. Did Jones actually contribute anything today?? In a word NO

The ball was like a hot tattie the day... Folk go on about having too many midfielders but Jorge was a massive loss and it showed today.

A MF of TT, Jorge and KT would do me just fine

Boyle89
11-08-2013, 01:52 PM

This!!! Seriously what does Caldwell have to do to get on the pitch?!

patch1875
11-08-2013, 01:56 PM
Forgot OTJ was playing

madabouthibs
11-08-2013, 02:00 PM
Our best chance of the game fell to Taiwo, he shouldv'e started today IMHO. :confused:

Caldwell, has he fell out with the boss or what?

Service to Vine and Collins was woeful, but in saying that, anthing that did come into the box was completely bossed by the Yam youth.

Booked4Being-Ugly
11-08-2013, 02:05 PM
Only decent midfielder was Thomson. The rest were ****.

RabMohr
11-08-2013, 02:06 PM
Our best chance of the game fell to Taiwo, he shouldv'e started today IMHO. :confused:

Caldwell, has he fell out with the boss or what?

Service to Vine and Collins was woeful, but in saying that, anthing that did come into the box was completely bossed by the Yam youth.

The bit in bold sums up this game...why we even allowed them to is incredible. Time to go Pat :(

TheFamous1875
11-08-2013, 02:06 PM
Taiwo should start ahead of Tudor-Jones. Anonymous again, today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ballengeich
11-08-2013, 02:07 PM
A MF of TT, Jorge and KT would do me just fine

They scored a combined total of one goal last season and didn't set up many chances for anyone else. Also, I don't think Jorge will be back.

lucky
11-08-2013, 02:08 PM
The lack of pace in the team is the problem. I'm not a Robertson fan but he did ok. It was a dire game with 2 piss poor sides. Blames lies at PFs door

neil7908
11-08-2013, 02:10 PM

I hated Robertson last season, hated him. But I hold my hands up a load of folk said give him preseason and next year he will be decent.

So far along with KT, he is best player for us (... not that there are many candidates for the prestigious award)

Correct, Tudor-Jones is the player I cant understand getting a start. Taiwo was one of our better players last season and has done nothing to get benched.

One of the most embarrassing things for me today is that Fenlon clearly set his team up to be physical and kick lumps out of Hearts, thats the only reason I can see Tudor-Jones getting a game.

This might have been a good tactic against the Hearts team of 2-3 years ago but we're up against a team of kids now. Total shambles.

Hiber-nation
11-08-2013, 02:11 PM
How a 6 foot 4 central midfielder can be unseen in a game beats me but OTJ managed that today. Absolutely abysmal.

neil7908
11-08-2013, 02:14 PM
Agree with you completely. What the HELL was Pat thinking signing this Tudar Jone character?! Terrible terrible player, a waste of a wage. Yes some might say it's early but it's already so apparent that this huddy will NOT contribute might to our team.

He signed him because he was 6"3 and probably wanted to add a physical presence to the team. Thats all good but he doesn't seem to have realised you need to actually try and also score goals to win a game.

We've literally just tried to adopt the Hearts tactics from when Mowbray was in charge and we had a young team - bunch of big physical players kicking lumps out of kids.

Shocking.

Aldo
11-08-2013, 02:14 PM
They scored a combined total of one goal last season and didn't set up many chances for anyone else. Also, I don't think Jorge will be back.

Yip and do you think we will score that many again?

Just my opinion. Craig is supposed to be creative??? He was ****ing piss poor and his delivery was zero.

wookie70
11-08-2013, 03:08 PM
Taiwo should have started Robertson is rank I thought Robertson was our best midfielder by a mile. Won most of his 50/50s and probably covered more distance than any other Hibs player even though he went of early. Got in and around the box a few times too and unlucky with a header. He would be my first choice midfielder at the moment and possibly my captain.

scoopyboy
11-08-2013, 04:21 PM

You are clueless, so much so you should apply to be our next manager.

neil7908
11-08-2013, 04:27 PM
I thought Robertson was our best midfielder by a mile. Won most of his 50/50s and probably covered more distance than any other Hibs player even though he went of early. Got in and around the box a few times too and unlucky with a header. He would be my first choice midfielder at the moment and possibly my captain.

In a poor team its almost damning with faint praise but I think your right (although Thomson has had commanding spells too), with a few more games under his belt and a team set up to play the right kind of football going forward he will get goals and assists for us.

As for a captain, its a little soon for me and he'd need to start being able to last 90 mins consistently for that.

trev the hat
11-08-2013, 05:06 PM
Robertson had good energy but for me couldn't control his enthusiasm & was rightly booked. After the booking it was always going to be him for TT. The very same with Mullen being booked but an inexcusable substitution with McGivern at LB and LS switched to RB he didn't deserve that as he was actually pretty solid at LB, no surprise when the cross for goal comes from Mgiverns area,(he ain't fit) I question whether Mgowan would have made that cross against LS. Jones was a passenger & I would have preferred TT and KT in the middle. This game highlights the loss of Claros massively and guys like OTJ aren't the answer.

Tyler Durden
11-08-2013, 06:07 PM
Robertson had good energy but for me couldn't control his enthusiasm & was rightly booked. After the booking it was always going to be him for TT. The very same with Mullen being booked but an inexcusable substitution with McGivern at LB and LS switched to RB he didn't deserve that as he was actually pretty solid at LB, no surprise when the cross for goal comes from Mgiverns area,(he ain't fit) I question whether Mgowan would have made that cross against LS. Jones was a passenger & I would have preferred TT and KT in the middle. This game highlights the loss of Claros massively and guys like OTJ aren't the answer.

I don't see why? Handling could have been used and would have offered an attacking threat. Some folk on this thread are giving Taiwo credit for being in the box rather than criticising his poor finish. To be fair to Taiwo he was asked to play out of position (as was Stevenson) due to a poor manager consumed with cautious negative tactics.

Is Fenlon going to sub every player booked from now on? Why sign Mullen if doesn't have faith in the lad? He's probably ruining what confidence the guy had.

Re McGivern it was actually Kevin Thomson who failed to stop the cross. McGivern was streets ahead of Stevenson during his time on the park. Selecting Stevenson ahead of McGivern is inexplicable.

blackpoolhibs
11-08-2013, 06:09 PM
I just don't get this, are we now at the stage where every player who gets booked has to be subbed? :confused:

SMAXXA
11-08-2013, 06:22 PM

Aye taking of a midfielder on a booking to replace him with a guy who can be offensive as he showed against Celtic in the griff 1 nil game is a total shocker right enough. Some total talking ***** own here tonight

S.sct
11-08-2013, 06:42 PM

Got to agree, Robertson seems to have a bit more confidence and probably is fitter than he was last season. Not many positives but his general improvement is one (still needs furthet improvement mind).

S.sct
11-08-2013, 06:44 PM
I just don't get this, are we now at the stage where every player who gets booked has to be subbed? :confused:

Naw, only when Thomson is the ref....:cb

trev the hat
11-08-2013, 07:08 PM
I don't see why? Handling could have been used and would have offered an attacking threat. Some folk on this thread are giving Taiwo credit for being in the box rather than criticising his poor finish. To be fair to Taiwo he was asked to play out of position (as was Stevenson) due to a poor manager consumed with cautious negative tactics.

Is Fenlon going to sub every player booked from now on? Why sign Mullen if doesn't have faith in the lad? He's probably ruining what confidence the guy had.

Re McGivern it was actually Kevin Thomson who failed to stop the cross. McGivern was streets ahead of Stevenson during his time on the park. Selecting Stevenson ahead of McGivern is inexplicable.

Thats my point, the subs I'm referring to are what PF would have decided straight after each caution.
Im not blaming Mgivern at all IMO he should never have been on the park in the first place, both subs were not required.
Its not hard to be streets ahead of someone playing LB one half RB the next, LS had a solid first half with plenty decent tackles & comfortable in possession. Bizarre substitutions the first two.

DH1875
11-08-2013, 07:19 PM
I think Tom Taiwo is a cracking player and he'd always be in my team. Stanton was the crazy substitution.

Jonnyboy
11-08-2013, 07:22 PM

patch? over yer eyes presumably

Tyler Durden
11-08-2013, 07:23 PM
Taiwo is not an offensive player, playing him wide right is a waste of time.

1875er
11-08-2013, 08:23 PM
Tom was probably still recovering from drinking alcohol in the speigeltent on Friday night, hence why he was sub.

hfc rd
11-08-2013, 08:27 PM
The Stanton sub was the one that got me angry. That one just showed that PF was wanting to leave the PBS with a point rather than putting on Caldwell and try and go for the jugular.

Onion
11-08-2013, 08:30 PM

Said after the Well game that OTJ looked like a decent buy and would add to the team. Sorry, don't know WTF I was thinking. The guy is terrible and was a waste of a jersey today. Should never have been signed.