PDA

View Full Version : Fenlons tactics

Eckie
11-08-2013, 12:24 PM
It seems Pats only tactic is to punt it long and hope for the best,surely with a midfield of Thomson,Craig,Tudor jones and Robertson,who are all good ball players,we should put passes together and keep possession and gind teams down,is it only me who is frustrated with this?

banchoryhibs
11-08-2013, 12:26 PM
The title of this thread assumes that he actually has some tactics - I've seen no evidence of this:grr:

Keith_M
11-08-2013, 12:28 PM
His tactics are....

Sit back with a smile on your face and keep reciting, "I'm under no pressure here"

Holmesdale Hibs
11-08-2013, 12:42 PM
We've shown little attacking intent and created **** all against a poor hearts team. His tactics were not to get beat and aren't working at the moment. Big last 15mim for Fenlon.

Keith_M
11-08-2013, 12:43 PM
Now coming up for 5 defeats in a row and 450 minutes without a goal.

Tactics?

KingFranck
11-08-2013, 12:56 PM
What tactics? Just go Fenlon your time is up

Sweet Left Peg
11-08-2013, 12:56 PM
Let's just kick the ball really hard towards the goal and hope that someone else kicks it closer and then that might mean we have a chance of scoring a goal. ****ing awful. Dire, dire football.

truehibernian
11-08-2013, 01:13 PM
Stevenson - never hit a Hibs player from a throw in ALL game, then switched to a position all ex pros have noted he got slaughtered in.

Tudur Jones - offered zero, absolutely zero.

Vine - played like he was unsure of what his position was.

Collins - played like he'd eaten a curry pre match.

Hanlon - despite not having anyone to mark still made the game look like he has 3 men around him, rabbit in headlights.

For me, new man to come in, phone calls to agents asking if they'd take Stevenson, Hanlon and Robertson. Then get straight into agents to get quick wingers in, and pronto.

Pat Fenlon - he's off, guaranteed.

Dunderhall
11-08-2013, 01:17 PM
Discuss his tactics?
how about discussing the Loch Ness Monster, it's got a better chance of actually existing.

Ell_Chrisso
11-08-2013, 01:21 PM
Stevenson - never hit a Hibs player from a throw in ALL game, then switched to a position all ex pros have noted he got slaughtered in.

Hanlon - despite not having anyone to mark still made the game look like he has 3 men around him, rabbit in headlights.

For me, new man to come in, phone calls to agents asking if they'd take Stevenson, Hanlon and Robertson. Then get straight into agents to get quick wingers in, and pronto.

disagre on Hanlon. Had a terrific game and made a lot of good tackles and headers. Not his fault if him and Nelson both are either asked to punt it, or forced to do so. Tudor Jones offered nothing. You should always be looking to dictate the play and look to get on the ball sitting deep and offered neither all game.

CalgaryHibs
11-08-2013, 01:25 PM
The title of this thread assumes that he actually has some tactics - I've seen no evidence of this:grr:

Tactics simple play defense a maybe score a goal(that's a big maybe ??)

easty
11-08-2013, 01:27 PM

Hanlon played well today. What exactly did he do that you didn't like?

Boyle89
11-08-2013, 01:31 PM
When we played football we actually created a couple of half chances. It must be PF telling the players to hump it long. Also his subs were just monstrously (is that a word) wrong!! What does Caldwell have to do to get a game?????

Expecting Rain
11-08-2013, 01:33 PM
The tactics are to flood the midfield which only results in all the midfielders getting in each others way, Fenlon has been done time and time again by Hearts controlling the wide areas without any real effort.

Greenblood70
11-08-2013, 01:36 PM
Associating the word tactics with Fenlon is an insult to real football managers.

davieh
11-08-2013, 01:38 PM
Its not like Fenlon's tactics have just been rumbled though, is it? It was the same last season where Leigh scored his goals in spite of the hoofball played, not because of it...

loanheadhibby
11-08-2013, 01:38 PM
Discuss his tactics?
how about discussing the Loch Ness Monster, it's got a better chance of actually existing.

Petrie and Fenlon were at a conference last week and Fenlon started to give a speech about tactics,

fenlon gets on stage and starts, " well, they are small and white, they taste of mint", big rod interrupts him and says "pat, it's a speech on tactics, not tic tacs! "

Fenlon out

CalgaryHibs
11-08-2013, 01:39 PM
Associating the word tactics with Fenlon is an insult to real football managers.

Spot on mate

Eckie
11-08-2013, 01:48 PM
The actual thing is that they can do it, the start of game v Motherwell the midfield looked in control ,winning tackles and playing passes, even had full backs overlapping and swinging dangerous balls into the box,that lasted around 15/20 mins before hoofball took over again.

Devilstorment
11-08-2013, 01:53 PM
It all comes down to having no creativity to supply our forward man/men.

Fenlon's tactics seem to be (its quite hard to actually see!) to control the midfield and dominate the pace of the game.... In theory this is spot on and at times (few and far between) this has worked. But from then on its like the team havent been told what the next part of the plan is.

I think he is out of options and will be gone by the time we get emptied out of the league cup by some 2nd division team

Castle Hibs
11-08-2013, 01:53 PM
Fenlon only has one tactic and that is to flood the midfield with defensive midfielders. The players either don't understand what he wants them to do or they do not believe in him as they look totally clueless. The players we have are better that the performance we are seeing over the last few weeks.

Pray4Marc
11-08-2013, 02:24 PM
It seems Pats only tactic is to punt it long and hope for the best,surely with a midfield of Thomson,Craig,Tudor jones and Robertson,who are all good ball players,we should put passes together and keep possession and gind teams down,is it only me who is frustrated with this?

Hoofball was always going to play to their advantage, when we passed the ball on the deck we dominated and it was men against boys. We had chances, personally think tawio was the last person you would have wanted on the chance from Craig. Another baffling substitution. They get one chance and score, typical.

essexhibee
11-08-2013, 02:26 PM
Tactics of get it to the full back and pump it aimlessly up the park to give the opposition the ball back.

Can't even be bothered to type the long list of things wrong with his tactics still feel sick at the fact we lost that game.

bigwheel
11-08-2013, 02:43 PM
I think setting up with 4 in midfield meant we were constantly outnumbered in there ...we were also outfought a little too - but their extra man have them good possession - particularly in the first half .

I'd have rather we went man on man in the middle ...we could have gone to 3 at the back and left the two up front ... Pat isn't a man for changes though - so was never going to happen ...

gillythehibby
11-08-2013, 02:46 PM

Why didn't the afore said players keep the ball then? Not one of them was prepared to put a foot on it in the first half. Is that the manager's fault ?

Smiggy 7-0
11-08-2013, 02:49 PM
Tactics........w.t.f.

Tricla
11-08-2013, 02:50 PM

Massively pish post.

Tricla
11-08-2013, 02:53 PM
IMO today's result is nothing to do with fenlon. The team he put out should have strolled that game.

We had better players in every area of the pitch but sadly they let their manager down today.

Heisenberg
11-08-2013, 02:58 PM
IMO today's result is nothing to do with fenlon. The team he put out should have strolled that game.

We had better players in every area of the pitch but sadly they let their manager down today.

Nope. Fenlon set out not to lose again. We hoofed it up the park at every chance. He cant just put out a team and expect them to win. Collins was again hung out to dry due to the lack of service. Liam Craig isnt a wide midfielder. Boring, tedious and one dimensional football that creates no chances. It would've been the same last season without Leigh.

RabMohr
11-08-2013, 02:59 PM

While I respect your opinion I don't agree. I was hoping Pat could turn this club around but today for me shows that he can't.

GoldenMeerkat
11-08-2013, 03:01 PM
We have five midfielders, yet we're consistently missing them out to play long diagonal balls over the top.

gav71
11-08-2013, 03:29 PM
Ah but your actually assuming that he knows what tactics are and how to use them something I hope the new manger will know maybe the op should have named the thread fenlons lack of knowledge on tactics would have been more apt

Beefster
11-08-2013, 03:33 PM
Fenlon is the most tactically inept manager we've had since Duffy.

Alfred E Newman
11-08-2013, 03:43 PM
He has one tactic and one tactic only and it's the long punt up front and try and win the second ball with a packed midfield. It's the type of football Airdrie were playing 20 years ago. It would make your eyes bleed. He got away with it to a certain extent last season due to Griffiths ability to score goals out of nothing . Today we were out fought by a team of ordinary youngsters who deserved what they got.

Cropley10
11-08-2013, 04:16 PM

Completely agree.

The Sea-gull
11-08-2013, 06:20 PM
He doesn't seem to have any tactics. Unless they are can't score, won't score.

Pretty Boy
11-08-2013, 06:25 PM
Fenlons tactics?

Right lads today I want 4 slow passes, then when you get near the half way line cut inside and don't dare cross it, pass it back to the central defender and then he can either hoof it or lay it back to Ben who can really ****ing hoof it. Good luck, it might be 78th time lucky.

Think that is a good guess.

Winston Ingram
11-08-2013, 06:29 PM

This. He has know style of play. Blobby & Mixu's teams were obviously physical & direct. Mowbray, Yogi & JC's teams tried to play football.

**** know what PF's plans are:confused:

Capt Mainwaring
11-08-2013, 06:31 PM
Shambles today. Tactically inept and with a Plan A that merely involves slow paced side passing with a long straight hoof up and over our Centre forward, followed by no Plan B when it's not working - it's no surprise that we struggle to create chances.

Sorry Pat - you're a likeable fellow but your just not up to the job. Goodbye!

BVB Hibs
11-08-2013, 06:46 PM
Too many crosses from deep completely missing. Collins not up to winning the long ball, and the midfielders refusing to challenge for it when ever he did manage to knock one down. The players weren't up to for the fight, simple as that. That's very probably an issue with Fenlon, but I wouldn't question his tactics on this one. There were plenty of probing balls from about 30 yards in that would have asked questions, but were horrendously misplaced. Our issue is the lack of a ball playing defensive midfielder, somebody who can give a long ball. As much as I don't want it, another midfielder is needed, or the others need to get their fingers out.

Struggle to see where people are getting hoof tactics from though. Yes, it's our go to when there is pressure on the defence, but lets not pretend that every time we got the ball we pumped it up long. In the second half McGivern had plenty of opportunities up the left and there was some decent link up play between vine and collins. I love how people on this forum only seem to take the negatives out of a game and completely ignore when we looked strong going forward. We had a few opportunities in the second half but we're lacking composure on the finish. Sometimes it just a final pass lacking or just the composure to make one more more before striking. Again though, it's not that far off where it needs to be, I'm just waiting for Collins and Vine to click. The only real disappointment for me has been Craig, not looked up to the billing, and Robertson today was poor at best.

Let's not ignore that yet again we were defensively solid. We were outdone by one mistake, just like we were last week. Last year we were giving up chances galore, which we're no longer doing. Those badmouthing OTJ obviously haven't watched the last 2 games as he's been a huge part of that. Him and the admiral both look like solid signings that are making our defence pretty tight. Mullen needs to get stronger defensively, and Stevenson needs to learn how to header, but I think out strongest back 4 with OTJ in front are going to stop teams scoring. But that's not to say we're setting up not to lose, let's not forget that we did have chances to score today, just that the final ball was poor, there were two awful finishes by Collins and Taiwo and we simply didn't have luck with a few headers off set pieces. On the balance of play we deserved a few goals, and I'll have nobody tell me that we didn't show attacking intent, because that's complete and utter rubbish.

Winston Ingram
11-08-2013, 06:51 PM

Agreed. Even Mixu's tactic of the Rob Jones diagonal to our right winger Colin Nish showed some semblance of a plan. :agree:

DH1875
11-08-2013, 07:15 PM
Tactics :faf:, what ducking tactics? Hump it long and hope for the best?

gegs70
11-08-2013, 07:29 PM
Too many crosses from deep completely missing. Collins not up to winning the long ball, and the midfielders refusing to challenge for it when ever he did manage to knock one down. The players weren't up to for the fight, simple as that. That's very probably an issue with Fenlon, but I wouldn't question his tactics on this one. There were plenty of probing balls from about 30 yards in that would have asked questions, but were horrendously misplaced. Our issue is the lack of a ball playing defensive midfielder, somebody who can give a long ball. As much as I don't want it, another midfielder is needed, or the others need to get their fingers out.

Struggle to see where people are getting hoof tactics from though. Yes, it's our go to when there is pressure on the defence, but lets not pretend that every time we got the ball we pumped it up long. In the second half McGivern had plenty of opportunities up the left and there was some decent link up play between vine and collins. I love how people on this forum only seem to take the negatives out of a game and completely ignore when we looked strong going forward. We had a few opportunities in the second half but we're lacking composure on the finish. Sometimes it just a final pass lacking or just the composure to make one more more before striking. Again though, it's not that far off where it needs to be, I'm just waiting for Collins and Vine to click. The only real disappointment for me has been Craig, not looked up to the billing, and Robertson today was poor at best.

Let's not ignore that yet again we were defensively solid. We were outdone by one mistake, just like we were last week. Last year we were giving up chances galore, which we're no longer doing. Those badmouthing OTJ obviously haven't watched the last 2 games as he's been a huge part of that. Him and the admiral both look like solid signings that are making our defence pretty tight. Mullen needs to get stronger defensively, and Stevenson needs to learn how to header, but I think out strongest back 4 with OTJ in front are going to stop teams scoring. But that's not to say we're setting up not to lose, let's not forget that we did have chances to score today, just that the final ball was poor, there were two awful finishes by Collins and Taiwo and we simply didn't have luck with a few headers off set pieces. On the balance of play we deserved a few goals, and I'll have nobody tell me that we didn't show attacking intent, because that's complete and utter rubbish.

Im not sure though that we have enough attacking options wide players and strikers to change the formation? Also tactically fenlon has been naive? Couldnt do anything against motherwell when they changed tact and lets face it 4 games and no goals!

Onion
11-08-2013, 07:37 PM
Tactics :faf:, what ducking tactics? Hump it long and hope for the best?

Falkirk semi is the one that stands out for me, as it was so much as odds with every other game Fenlon has taken charge of.

Remember Fenlon saying he had to say/do very little at HT as the players knew they had messed up and all had their say. Now thinking, he had nothing to do with the turn around and it was the players themselves who decided.. "**** this, lets get stuck into these guys". Fenlon was in no position to argue as at that moment everyone knew he was getting sacked in the morning.

Unseen work
11-08-2013, 08:09 PM
For me the thing wrong with the team is the 4 in midfield are all centre mids. People say Craig can play winger but IMO he's a centre mid. With playing centre mids as wingers what you get is them attacking and defending the same time as the actual centre mids and when they get on the ball in a wide position they don't have the confidence to beat a man, all they do is check back and play a pass. Robertson barely even played as a winger today he kept coming in that central to get the ball or make a challenge. When Thomson and jones get the ball they rarely have a foward pass to make as 9/10 they win it further foward than where the wingers are.

Tudor jones looks like he can be a asset to us IMO as he breaks up alot of play and releases the ball quickly, he also adds something alot of people won't see which is taking up positions in front of the opposition striker stopping the ball in to their feet and its difficult for them to come through us forcing them to play It out wide or try a very difficult pass.

You need wingers sometimes with a bit of a arrogance who will be hesitant to get back because they know if they get the ball where they currently are, they have acres of space and will create something.

gegs70
11-08-2013, 09:45 PM
My son recons liam craig scored most of his goals from central midfield and rarely played right mdfld with saints?

Scouse Hibee
11-08-2013, 09:48 PM
My son recons liam craig scored most of his goals from central midfield and rarely played right mdfld with saints?

No chance of him ever playing there for Hibs then!

gegs70
11-08-2013, 09:54 PM
Surprised craig isnt in goals.

500miles
11-08-2013, 09:54 PM

Liam Craig has spent almost his entire career at left midfield. Check transfermarkt.co.uk for details.

Winston Ingram
11-08-2013, 10:02 PM
The 5-1 game he had a mare. Set up with a diamond giving Suso & Driver a free run a Kujabi & Doherty. Game over in the 1st half hour

This years cup final we went in with 4 against 5 with KT at LM. Leaving us completely over run, allowing Scott Brown to play wi a cigar in hand. Game over in the 1st half hour.

v Malmo, totally over run in midfield, game over in the 1st half hour.

Today, **** knows. He played the whole of the 2nd half with no right side. ****** clueless

Paisley Hibby
11-08-2013, 10:03 PM

Interesting post and chimes with what Pat Nevin said tonight on Sportscene. But in the end it's results that matter. If we keep losing like this then that will become a habit (if it hasn't already) and it may then be too late for someone else to come in and turn it round. So just how long are you prepared to risk giving him?

Springbank
11-08-2013, 10:03 PM

I keep hearing "oh but he's a decent sort"
NO!
Is he fxxx
ANY and I mean ANY manager worth his salt would have resigned after:
The worst aggregate score in the entire national sporting history (for the avoidance of doubt that is HUGE humiliation)

The fact he didn't offer his resignation after that (not to mention 5-1) told me loud and clear this boy is in it for the money and the money only

Well enjoy your money Patrick Fenlon you are a timid and humiliated disgrace

You should not be Hibs manager

Winston Ingram
11-08-2013, 10:04 PM
Liam Craig has spent almost his entire career at left midfield. Check transfermarkt.co.uk for details.

He played central last season, hence him having probably his best season as a pro. Vine played wide left.

He doesn't look comfortable there.

Bostonhibby
11-08-2013, 10:06 PM
There were tactics? Do you mean the bit where we quickly get rid off the ball to another hibs player who then does the same thing until we go backwards and lose it or punt it aimlessly?
What tactic is it that deploys Craig as we do? Good player before he joined us, bit player today.

Castle Hibs
11-08-2013, 10:26 PM
When Fenlon came in he said he would change the mindset at the club and bring in players that would not be bullied by thier opponents, no longer would Hibs be a pushover.

He has failed miserably!