PDA

View Full Version : Flares on Sunday

Time For Heroes
09-08-2013, 08:13 PM
FOOTBALL fans have been warned against using flares at this weekend's Edinburgh derby.

A supporter was injured when flares were thrown at Tynecastle stadium the last time Hibernian took on Hearts in May.

Police say fans face arrest and a future match ban if caught acting dangerously at the ground on Sunday.

Superintendent Gavin Philip said: "While the vast majority of supporters attending the match will do so in a manner which will allow both them and their fellow supporters to enjoy the event, there are a small minority who are determined to put themselves and others in danger by throwing flares.

"It is only a matter of time before someone suffers a serious injury due to their actions and, as such, we will work with both clubs and stewards to do all we can to prevent such dangerous behaviour.

"An enhanced policing presence will be in place and searches will be carried out on those who are suspected of carrying flares, both inside and outside the ground."

The police have the support of both clubs.

David Southern, Hearts managing director, said: "No right-minded football fan of either club should want to expose their club and its supporters to safety threats and football sanctions. It's really not worth it and we would urge supporters not to take flares to the ground.

"We are confident that we'll be able to put on a great advert for Scottish football on Sunday."

A Hibs spokesman said: "Hibernian Football Club fully supports Police Scotland's stance and cannot ever condone any form of anti-social behaviour at matches.

"The only talking point to emerge from Sunday's Edinburgh derby at Tynecastle should be the 90 minutes of football and we urge all of our supporters to conduct themselves in the appropriate manner."

.Sean.
09-08-2013, 08:16 PM
Does this mean we'll encounter the same over-zealous policing between the bridges :rolleyes: Bawbags.

marinello59
09-08-2013, 08:19 PM
Does this mean we'll encounter the same over-zealous policing between the bridges :rolleyes: Bawbags.

Setting off flares gives then the reason to do what they want. It's up to those taking them in as to whether it's a price worth paying.
(I enjoy them but they are illegal.)

degenerated
09-08-2013, 08:20 PM
I only hope that both sets of fans are being treated equally here. So if hibs fans have been told not to use flares then hearts fans have surely been told not to wear them.

wearethehibs
09-08-2013, 08:21 PM
So smoke bombs are fine then :)

scoopyboy
09-08-2013, 08:21 PM
I turned the clock back to my youth and domination of Hearts by getting black Adidas Sambas, they are now five derbies undefeated and will be worn again on Sunday.

However I am drawing the line at wearing flares or my high waister cords.

I can't see the point of throwing the flares on the pitch cos the Lothian and Borders Finest will simply arrest the guy standing in his boxers.

Roll on Sunday.

GGTTH

Mon Dieu4
09-08-2013, 08:25 PM
FOOTBALL fans have been warned against using flares at this weekend's Edinburgh derby.

A supporter was injured when flares were thrown at Tynecastle stadium the last time Hibernian took on Hearts in May.

Police say fans face arrest and a future match ban if caught acting dangerously at the ground on Sunday.

Superintendent Gavin Philip said: "While the vast majority of supporters attending the match will do so in a manner which will allow both them and their fellow supporters to enjoy the event, there are a small minority who are determined to put themselves and others in danger by throwing flares.

"It is only a matter of time before someone suffers a serious injury due to their actions and, as such, we will work with both clubs and stewards to do all we can to prevent such dangerous behaviour.

"An enhanced policing presence will be in place and searches will be carried out on those who are suspected of carrying flares, both inside and outside the ground."

The police have the support of both clubs.

David Southern, Hearts managing director, said: "No right-minded football fan of either club should want to expose their club and its supporters to safety threats and football sanctions. It's really not worth it and we would urge supporters not to take flares to the ground.

"We are confident that we'll be able to put on a great advert for Scottish football on Sunday."

A Hibs spokesman said: "Hibernian Football Club fully supports Police Scotland's stance and cannot ever condone any form of anti-social behaviour at matches.

"The only talking point to emerge from Sunday's Edinburgh derby at Tynecastle should be the 90 minutes of football and we urge all of our supporters to conduct themselves in the appropriate manner."

That's great news, I take it they have either fixed their shanty town stand or tore it down then, happy days

silverhibee
09-08-2013, 08:32 PM
Setting off flares gives then the reason to do what they want. It's up to those taking them in as to whether it's a price worth paying.
(I enjoy them but they are illegal.)

Does it though.

The police need a reason to stop and search you, just because a few smoke bombs were let of at the last derby doesn't give them reason to search you on Sunday.

Heavy handed tactics imo.

MSK
09-08-2013, 08:45 PM
Does it though.

The police need a reason to stop and search you, just because a few smoke bombs were let of at the last derby doesn't give them reason to search you on Sunday.

Heavy handed tactics imo.Aye ..& what do you think their reason will be ? ..:confused:

GoldenEagle
09-08-2013, 08:46 PM
Fill yer boots Silv.

http://www.urban75.org/football/rights.html

Edit prob English law but Scots won't be too much difference. Section 60 is a catch all

Robinho08
So smoke bombs are fine then :)

Beat me to it.

Cabbage East
FOOTBALL fans have been warned against singing loudly at this weekend's Edinburgh derby.

A supporter was injured when loud singing was notable among an aggressive minority at Tynecastle stadium the last time Hibernian took on Hearts in May.

Superintendent Gavin Philip said: "While the vast majority of supporters attending the match will do so in a manner which will allow both them and their fellow supporters to enjoy the event, there are a small minority who are determined to put themselves and others in danger by singing offensive songs at an unnacceptable volume."

A Police Scotland spokesman was not available to comment on those reckless supporters who insist on standing at matches, but it's thought that possible measures for violent, persistent standers include slaughter of their firstborn child and/or mandatory castration.

silverhibee
09-08-2013, 08:59 PM
Aye ..& what do you think their reason will be ? ..:confused:

So does every driver get stopped by the police on Ferry Rd because some one got caught speeding there last week.

No need for the heavy handed tactics by the police on Hibs fans, will the yams attending the game be treated to the same police tactics, i doubt it.

marinello59
09-08-2013, 09:03 PM
Does it though.

Heavy handed tactics imo.

I agree it's heavy handed. They have their excuse though. I am guessing it won't affect me so much as the younger guys who will be targeted.
So you can relax too.:greengrin

MSK
09-08-2013, 09:06 PM
So does every driver get stopped by the police on Ferry Rd because some one got caught speeding there last week.

No need for the heavy handed tactics by the police on Hibs fans, will the yams attending the game be treated to the same police tactics, i doubt it.Im talking aboot the game on Sun, no driving along Ferry road..for years I was searched before going into tynie, doesn't bother me in the slightest ..if you have nowt tae hide then you have nowt tae worry aboot ..you know the drill ..

silverhibee
09-08-2013, 09:14 PM
Fill yer boots Silv.

http://www.urban75.org/football/rights.html

Edit prob English law but Scots won't be too much difference. Section 60 is a catch all

Is under the bridge a confined area though, section 60 is a toughie :greengrin

Anti-global protesters. :grr:

http://scalp.noflag.org.uk/legal-guide/#6 :hmmm:

frazeHFC
09-08-2013, 09:16 PM
The policing last year was way over the top! The smokebombs were class though so hopefully folk manage to get them in.

ian cruise
09-08-2013, 09:17 PM
I turned the clock back to my youth and domination of Hearts by getting black Adidas Sambas, they are now five derbies undefeated and will be worn again on Sunday.

Grey trackies again then :wink:

Time For Heroes
09-08-2013, 09:23 PM
10833 Basically boys and girls we cant dress like this on Sunday:greengrin

truehibernian
09-08-2013, 09:30 PM
The policing last year was way over the top! The smokebombs were class though so hopefully folk manage to get them in.

Magic outlook Frazer - thus risking Hibs getting at the very least a 4 figure fine, someone injured amongst our own and then risking not getting into Easter Road after a court ban - aye, they're class right enough. I want fans going to games, not banned from grounds and watching in pubs.

Until the law changes regards flares etc, just gonnae no - it risks the club being punished financially and then makes police presence far more likely to be 'robust' rather than friendly.

silverhibee
09-08-2013, 09:32 PM
Im talking aboot the game on Sun, no driving along Ferry road..for years I was searched before going into tynie, doesn't bother me in the slightest ..if you have nowt tae hide then you have nowt tae worry aboot ..you know the drill ..

Its not the being searched as you enter the ground i am concerned about, i understand that, what i don't get is the heavy handed tactics at the bridge well before you are near the ground and the way every Hibs fan is stopped and searched by Scottish Police, this won't happen to the yams as they enter the ground and they have the more previous for throwing flares at derbies, if they did do it they might find some stoopid yam with some medals in there pocket, :greengrin so why are the Hibs fans being targeted for the heavy handed tactics as we go there.

Glory Lurker
09-08-2013, 11:06 PM
Magic outlook Frazer - thus risking Hibs getting at the very least a 4 figure fine, someone injured amongst our own and then risking not getting into Easter Road after a court ban - aye, they're class right enough. I want fans going to games, not banned from grounds and watching in pubs.

Until the law changes regards flares etc, just gonnae no - it risks the club being punished financially and then makes police presence far more likely to be 'robust' rather than friendly.

:applause:

macca70
09-08-2013, 11:07 PM
Who cares, if you have nothing to hide then why you so bothered about being searched?!

What else could you possibly be carrying; keys, wallet/money, packet of chewing gum and yer ticket.

If searching folk for stuff that is ILLEGAL makes it a safer placer to watch the game, why does it bother folk so much?

Leishy1995
09-08-2013, 11:40 PM
Flares weren't set off at the derby in may, smokebombs yes.

Either way we all know that they mean smokebombs too, and I'm not going to the game but I know people who are and will have the urge to continue use. I'm not friends with them but it's obvious someone will set them off.

hibsbollah
09-08-2013, 11:43 PM
FOOTBALL fans have been warned against singing loudly at this weekend's Edinburgh derby.

A supporter was injured when loud singing was notable among an aggressive minority at Tynecastle stadium the last time Hibernian took on Hearts in May.

Superintendent Gavin Philip said: "While the vast majority of supporters attending the match will do so in a manner which will allow both them and their fellow supporters to enjoy the event, there are a small minority who are determined to put themselves and others in danger by singing offensive songs at an unnacceptable volume."

A Police Scotland spokesman was not available to comment on those reckless supporters who insist on standing at matches, but it's thought that possible measures for violent, persistent standers include slaughter of their firstborn child and/or mandatory castration.

:aok: Outstanding :hilarious

HUTCHYHIBBY
10-08-2013, 03:15 AM
After reading the title of the thread I thought the '70s Bar that was opposite Ryans had opened up again! ;-)

One Day
10-08-2013, 07:50 AM
Im talking aboot the game on Sun, no driving along Ferry road..for years I was searched before going into tynie, doesn't bother me in the slightest ..if you have nowt tae hide then you have nowt tae worry aboot ..you know the drill ..

Been stopped and searched at better places that Tynecastle, cant say it bothers me at all.

MSK
10-08-2013, 08:00 AM
Been stopped and searched at better places that Tynecastle, cant say it bothers me at all.Same, every bloody time at airports ..even got fired intae the x-ray machine at Glasgow airport a couple o months ago !! ..:agree:

One Day
10-08-2013, 08:07 AM
Same, every bloody time at airports ..even got fired intae the x-ray machine at Glasgow airport a couple o months ago !! ..:agree:

Never get fricked by the good looking blonde girl always the old fst ugly guy

Barney McGrew
10-08-2013, 08:46 AM

People refusing to follow the ground rules is the reason everyone will be getting searched going into the ground in the first place. And it's why sets of erseholes like the Green Brigade now find themselves emptied from Septic Park.

It's illegal to bring them, it's causing hassle for fellow fans and it's far from 'class'

Sanger
10-08-2013, 08:51 AM
People refusing to follow the ground rules is the reason everyone will be getting searched going into the ground in the first place. And it's why sets of erseholes like the Green Brigade now find themselves emptied from Septic Park.

It's illegal to bring them, it's causing hassle for fellow fans and it's far from 'class'
I'm more by the lack of flair in the Hibs team!

Keith_M
10-08-2013, 09:27 AM
On a related subject, from the announcement.....

I hope everyone who witnesses some Ned trying to smash seats on Sunday makes their feelings known as to how stupid it is. At the very least, the fact that Hibs are the ones that have to pay for this vandalism should make them think twice. It's thankfully not too widespread when we go to Tynecastle but I'd prefer if it was non-existent.

p.s. I make no apologies for describing such people as Neds.

Chuck Rhoades
10-08-2013, 09:54 AM
:applause:

4 figure fine? Injuries?

Behave yourself please.

Pedantic_Hibee
10-08-2013, 09:57 AM

I can't see the point of throwing the flares on the pitch cos the Lothian and Borders Finest will simply arrest the guy standing in his boxers.

Roll on Sunday.

GGTTH

:faf:

HUTCHYHIBBY
10-08-2013, 10:26 AM
On a related subject, from the announcement.....

I hope everyone who witnesses some Ned trying to smash seats on Sunday makes their feelings known as to how stupid it is. At the very least, the fact that Hibs are the ones that have to pay for this vandalism should make them think twice. It's thankfully not too widespread when we go to Tynecastle but I'd prefer if it was non-existent.

p.s. I make no apologies for describing such people as Neds.

Remember not to drink too much before the game too! ;-)

Keith_M
10-08-2013, 10:41 AM

:confused:

marinello59
10-08-2013, 11:05 AM

Smashing up seats is all good fun too then?

HUTCHYHIBBY
10-08-2013, 11:18 AM
Smashing up seats is all good fun too then?

I wouldnae know, is it?

Keith_M
10-08-2013, 11:19 AM
I wouldnae know, is it?

Are you just trolling or do you have anything interesting to add?

HUTCHYHIBBY
10-08-2013, 11:21 AM
:confused:

Just harking back to your pre-final hand wringing posts, apologies if I've confused you with someone else.

marinello59
10-08-2013, 11:23 AM
I wouldnae know, is it?

You ridiculed the poster suggesting it was unacceptable. You tell me.

HUTCHYHIBBY
10-08-2013, 11:27 AM
You ridiculed the poster suggesting it was unacceptable. You tell me.

I've already stated I wouldnae know.

Keith_M
10-08-2013, 11:29 AM

So why are you trolling on what is actually a serious subject. The club thought it serious enough to mention it on the official site where it warned on how Hibs supporters behaviour affects the club both by reputation and financially.

Are you really 42 or are you actually a schoolkid getting his jollies?

marinello59
10-08-2013, 11:32 AM

Why ridicule him then?

HUTCHYHIBBY
10-08-2013, 11:45 AM
I just dinnae think that any dafty who indulges in such behaviour is going to suddenly stop 'cos of a post on .net.

Its all a bit self indulgent for me, Or I'm getting my jollies, you decide.

marinello59
10-08-2013, 12:03 PM
I just dinnae think that any dafty who indulges in such behaviour is going to suddenly stop 'cos of a post on .net.

Its all a bit self indulgent for me, Or I'm getting my jollies, you decide.

It's OK I have decided already.:wink:

Keith_M
10-08-2013, 01:02 PM

FWIW, I agree with that. That's the reason I aimed my post at other people, not the Seat Breakers :wink:

'I hope everyone who witnesses some Ned trying to smash seats on Sunday makes their feelings known as to how stupid it is'

Anyway, enjoy the game tomorrow ..... and don't get too drunk :greengrin

Pretty Boy
10-08-2013, 01:17 PM
Best way to think of it is that if you smash a seat or throw a smokebomb the income from 20-30 kicks for kids STs will pay for it.

No need

HUTCHYHIBBY
10-08-2013, 01:19 PM
FWIW, I agree with that. That's the reason I aimed my post at other people, not the Seat Breakers :wink:

'I hope everyone who witnesses some Ned trying to smash seats on Sunday makes their feelings known as to how stupid it is'

Thats a fair point!

Keith_M
10-08-2013, 03:39 PM
Thats a fair point!

:thumbsup:

Boyle89
10-08-2013, 06:20 PM

Don't want people falling down stairs and over the gates now do we ;)

Glory Lurker
10-08-2013, 06:39 PM
4 figure fine? Injuries?

Behave yourself please.

The poster refers to these as being "risks". Can you say they aren't? Beyond that, the rest of the post was spot on, so I reckon my behavior was just exemplary, thanks! :na na:

Time For Heroes
10-08-2013, 06:43 PM
Don't want people falling down stairs and over the gates now do we ;)

Haha anyone got the link to that please