PDA

View Full Version : Owain Tudur Jones

...WentToMowAnSPL
06-08-2013, 06:00 PM
Did Petrie sanction him so he can pick the balls of the roof if they get stuck on the stand ? How tall is he ? I think on the BBC commentary they said play stopped for a foul on OTJ in the box : depending on what direction he fell it could have been both boxes...

Certainly a big character in the changing room ...

Pedantic_Hibee
06-08-2013, 06:11 PM
Actually didn't think he was that bad on Sunday to be honest.

CB_NO3
06-08-2013, 06:17 PM
I rate him. Was an excellent player for ICT last season. Not convinced he will be a success when Fenlon overloads the midfield with not many options for an outball. Time will tell.

SquashedFrogg
06-08-2013, 06:25 PM

I guess it's all about opinions... Personally I thought he looked lost. (Perhaps tactics). A big guy who barely won a header or tackle.

I'll have to be convinced over the coming weeks

Thecat23
06-08-2013, 06:27 PM
He's a good SPL player. We moaned we were to "small" for years in midfield. We finally get someone who won't get bullied an after one game he's not good enough.

Only on here!

SquashedFrogg
06-08-2013, 06:30 PM
He's a good SPL player. We moaned we were to "small" for years in midfield. We finally get someone who won't get bullied an after one game he's not good enough.

Only on here!

He got bullied on Sunday IMO. In fact, barely got near the ball.

I'm not convinced height is the main criteria for a midfielder.

...WentToMowAnSPL
06-08-2013, 06:33 PM

I wasn't actually having a go but in my new season ticket in the West stand row D, he seemed huge like 7 foot :-)

BOB MARLEYS DUG
06-08-2013, 06:37 PM
Did Petrie sanction him so he can pick the balls of the roof if they get stuck on the stand ? How tall is he ? I think on the BBC commentary they said play stopped for a foul on OTJ in the box : depending on what direction he fell it could have been both boxes...

Certainly a big character in the changing room ...

He is 6 ft 3. Big character in the changing room indeed:agree:

Brightside
06-08-2013, 06:49 PM
He is 6 ft 3. Big character in the changing room indeed:agree:
Good player and had a decent start on Sunday.

SquashedFrogg
06-08-2013, 06:58 PM
I guess I'm the only one who thought he was non existent in a team that got beat on Sunday.

Ricky Bobby
06-08-2013, 07:01 PM
Very early days to judge whether or not he will work out a decent player for us, but i thought the game passed him by on Sunday.
He certainly looked decent for ICT last year.

Stringer
06-08-2013, 07:02 PM

Agreed. He made our defensive shape better. He would force their midfielders into bad positions.

DAVE1875
06-08-2013, 07:02 PM
Longest femurs in Wales :wink:

SquashedFrogg
06-08-2013, 07:11 PM
Very early days to judge whether or not he will work out a decent player for us, but i thought the game passed him by on Sunday.
He certainly looked decent for ICT last year.

Hurrah! Someone at the same game as me. I very much liked the sound of the big fella when he signed but he really didn't use his attributes on Sunday. To say I was unimpressed is an understatement.

He's a big old unit who should be doing the dirty stuff in midfield... Hopefully more to come... Preferably on Sunday if he plays

seven nowt
06-08-2013, 07:17 PM
I guess I'm the only one who thought he was non existent in a team that got beat on Sunday.

Agree. Thought he was slow/lazy and played very poorly.

Onion
06-08-2013, 07:21 PM

:agree: Looked comfortable on the ball and his height helped us a lot defending set pieces. Tired in the 2nd half. Think he'll turn out to be a regular and real good buy.

Onceinawhile
06-08-2013, 07:26 PM

Nope. Think I heard his name twice in commentary. One of those was when he got clattered.

Maybe it was one of those needed to be there games?

Still, far too early to make decisions.

davidw
06-08-2013, 07:46 PM

Nope. Personally, I thought he was sh*te.

jax67
06-08-2013, 07:47 PM

I too thought he was poor. Didn't look to mark
when they had the ball. Early days though.

Mikey
06-08-2013, 07:51 PM
Some of the stuff people come out with on this website beggar's belief.

Ricky Bobby
06-08-2013, 07:59 PM

No point in saying he had a good game if he did'nt, easily outshone on the day by KT and Robertson.
Like i said, early days, hopefully find his feet soon.

Eyrie
06-08-2013, 08:00 PM
He had a "quiet" game on Sunday but he's a better player than that. Needs to show that though because we have plenty of alternatives.

SquashedFrogg
06-08-2013, 08:04 PM

I agree. People saying he played well is astonishing. He may well turn out to be a decent purchase but (again, in my opinion) he contributed very little on Sunday.

SquashedFrogg
06-08-2013, 08:05 PM
No point in saying he had a good game if he did'nt, easily outshone on the day by KT and Robertson.
Like i said, early days, hopefully find his feet soon.

Precisely my view.

Planet Hibs
06-08-2013, 08:12 PM
Have to agree that on Sunday I thought he moved very slow and didn't see him run once. Expect much more over the season from him.

Mikey
06-08-2013, 08:18 PM
Have to agree that on Sunday I thought he moved very slow and didn't see him run once. Expect much more over the season from him.

Really? So he didn't run at all during the game then?

Are you sure?

Planet Hibs
06-08-2013, 08:28 PM
Yes mikey very sure, looked forward to seeing him in action and he never broke into full stride once, he jogged at best and if that was running he is possibly slowest player in squad.

SquashedFrogg
06-08-2013, 08:47 PM
Ok, so people just want 'tall' players who 'run about'....

The referee 'ran about'... The wee dug I walked past on the way to my car 'ran about'...

Neither impressed me on Sunday. Maybe I was just having one of those days..

In saying that, if he pops up with a winner on Sunday ala Brian Kerr, I'll love him forever...

Brightside
06-08-2013, 08:49 PM
He was playing as a defensive mid. He supported the two CH well and helped in all Corner situations. A decent player anda good signing for us. For people to say he is shiyte etc is staggering for a guy in his first game.

SquashedFrogg
06-08-2013, 08:58 PM
He was playing as a defensive mid. He supported the two CH well and helped in all Corner situations. A decent player anda good signing for us. For people to say he is shiyte etc is staggering for a guy in his first game.

Defensive mids tackle/break up play/close players down.... He didn't do this. Not from where I was sitting.

Brightside
06-08-2013, 09:12 PM
Defensive mids tackle/break up play/close players down.... He didn't do this. Not from where I was sitting.

You should sit in the West. I get a great close up view of the great play from Hanlon, Stevenson, Thomson, Tudor Jones..... :greengrin

smurf
06-08-2013, 09:16 PM
Far too early to judge! We do need players to impose themselves quickly though this season. The criticism on this thread is ridiculous.

ekhibee
06-08-2013, 09:16 PM

Well I did, I thought he contributed the square root of **** all. That doesn't mean he won't improve though.

Ricky Bobby
06-08-2013, 09:17 PM
You should sit in the West. I get a great close up view of the great play from Hanlon, Stevenson, Thomson, Tudor Jones..... :greengrin

Stevenson had a very decent game and Thomson was head and shoulders the best on the park.

NORTHERNHIBBY
06-08-2013, 09:21 PM
He is a decent player. The secret of his success at ICT was the same ad the ethic behind that team in that he was part of a blend of other types of players that all know their roles and responsibilities.

SquashedFrogg
06-08-2013, 09:24 PM
Far too early to judge! We do need players to impose themselves quickly though this season. The criticism on this thread is ridiculous.

Is it wrong to give opinions and views on players?

How many games do I have to wait before passing comment? My pie on Sunday was barely warm and the pastry was undercooked... Do I have to wait until I've had a certain number of pies before complaining?

I'd argue that any criticism on this thread towards OTJ has been quite fair and constructive.

I sense much goodwill towards the man...

Ricky Bobby
06-08-2013, 09:26 PM
Is it wrong to give opinions and views on players?

How many games do I have to wait before passing comment? My pie on Sunday was barely warm and the pastry was undercooked... Do I have to wait until I've had a certain number of pies before complaining?

I'd argue that any criticism on this thread towards OTJ has been quite fair and constructive.

I sense much goodwill towards the man...

:agree:

Mikey
06-08-2013, 09:30 PM

They'd be delighted to be proved wrong, but in the meantime they'll put the boot in.

500miles
06-08-2013, 09:31 PM
I thought Tudur Jones' presence made us able to come away with more of the ball from goalkeepers kicking into the midfield. However, with Thomson and Robertson playing well, Jones was made a bit redundant. Play two of those three/Taiwo, and get your attacking players in front of them. I wouldn't play him against Hearts, but I think he has a place in the squad, and could make the centre of midfield his own if Thomson can't keep fit.

muzzhfc
06-08-2013, 09:31 PM
im sorry but this thread is ridiculous, 1 prem. game into the season and we are criticising him and effectively writing him off?! he done well at itc (who finished 4th in the league). we have more central defenders than we have defenders so it will take time for him to get used to who is playing with, or find a suitable partner. if we went for a 4-4-2 id say a Robertson type rather than a defensive type midfielder.

lucky
06-08-2013, 09:34 PM
I thought he played well on Sunday. He did his job covering the back 4 very well. Ladbrokes have him is the new favorite to be the boo boy this season

Ricky Bobby
06-08-2013, 09:39 PM
im sorry but this thread is ridiculous, 1 prem. game into the season and we are criticising him and effectively writing him off?! he done well at itc (who finished 4th in the league). we have more central defenders than we have defenders so it will take time for him to get used to who is playing with, or find a suitable partner. if we went for a 4-4-2 id say a Robertson type rather than a defensive type midfielder.

Nothing ridiculous about this thread. Nobody has written the lad off, merely expressed an opinion on his performance on Sunday.
There is no merit in pretending players have played well when they have not. As long as it's constructive criticism where is the problem?
As it has been said before I think everyone is keen for him to do well.

SquashedFrogg
06-08-2013, 09:40 PM
They'd be delighted to be proved wrong, but in the meantime they'll put the boot in.

Behave yourself Mikey. No one is putting the boot in. As far as I can see people are expressing views on his performance against Motherwell.

Some feel he played well, some don't.

That's kind of the purpose of this forum.

I'd also be astonished if anyone didn't want him to do well. That's just being silly.

I can't see any post which is being offensive or over critical.

SquashedFrogg
06-08-2013, 09:40 PM

Who's written him off?

muzzhfc
06-08-2013, 09:44 PM
theres a thread for one specific player, if that's not writing them off then what do you think is? the whole team played poor, why single one player out for criticism?

Jonnyboy
06-08-2013, 09:54 PM
theres a thread for one specific player, if that's not writing them off then what do you think is? the whole team played poor, why single one player out for criticism?

Happens after just about every game. OTJ is merely the latest 'recipient.'

muzzhfc
06-08-2013, 10:00 PM

And there was me thinking we are hibs "supporters". Did we lose the game due to the players playing poorly or did we lose it due to the wrong tactics being used. From what I saw (got first half and most of 2nd half before having to leave for work) I thought we were unlucky not to get a draw. The beef is with the manager not the player

SquashedFrogg
06-08-2013, 10:00 PM

Maybe some people (with opinions) feel that some players played 'more poorly' than others?

If I refer to every player on this thread will that make you happier?

Or maybe admins should ban threads on specific players? Maybe we should ban people from getting individual players names on replica shirts?

If you read this thread very closely you'll see that people are expressing an opinion, based on what they witnessed on Sunday.

Yes, he done reasonably well for ict. Yes, he has more to offer. Yes, tactics maybe never helped his cause.

But whether you like it or not, some people actually feel he didn't play very well in Sunday's match.

I still don't see any post on this thread where someone has written the guy off?

SquashedFrogg
06-08-2013, 10:04 PM

Recipient of what JB?

muzzhfc
06-08-2013, 10:06 PM
Someone compared him to Brian Kerr? I just think its too early in the season to be singling one player out. My "opinion" is that this is what we are doing. When you single on player out you effectively write them off. Again. My "opinion"

SquashedFrogg
06-08-2013, 10:09 PM
And there was me thinking we are hibs "supporters". Did we lose the game due to the players playing poorly or did we lose it due to the wrong tactics being used. From what I saw (got first half and most of 2nd half before having to leave for work) I thought we were unlucky not to get a draw. The beef is with the manager not the player

I'd say tactics (or lack of) were the major factor on Sunday but I still saw players like Collins, Thomson, Nelson, Craig etc work hard and try to influence the game. I'm getting bored now but I didn't see that from Jones in Sundays match.

I've moved seats this season, maybe my view isn't as good as others.

All in my humble opinion of course. Assuming opinions are permitted.

SquashedFrogg
06-08-2013, 10:18 PM
Someone compared him to I just think its too early in the season singling one player out. My "opinion" is that this is what we are doing. When you single on player out you effectively write them off. Again. My "opinion"

My reference to Brian Kerr was in the fact that he scored the winner against them a few years back?

Based on the fact that we play them this weekend.

Should I have used another player as an example.

Referring to an individual player isn't writing him off? That's nonsense. In fact, you're the only one who had used that term. Maybe you are writing him off?

This must be one of the silliest threads ever on .net

Honestly astounded at the paranoia on here from some.

Take a look at recent threads about Hanlon, Nelson, Mullen - that's writing players off...

Jonnyboy
06-08-2013, 10:18 PM
Recipient of what JB?

Of his very own thread!

Viva_Palmeiras
06-08-2013, 10:21 PM
Do folks not realise the yams sell bingo cards around who out the newbies we pick on?

...WentToMowAnSPL
06-08-2013, 10:23 PM
Of his very own thread!

Which as the OP can I remind everyone that the point was not actually whether he was a good signing or whether he can play football but he looked absolutely huge ... 6 3 my arse !!!

. On another note we can close down the thread about Nike not making xxxl sizes that is what OTD wraps his teddy in at night

Leighonel
06-08-2013, 10:38 PM
My reference to Brian Kerr was in the fact that he scored the winner against them a few years back?

Based on the fact that we play them this weekend.

Should I have used another player as an example.

Referring to an individual player isn't writing him off? That's nonsense. In fact, you're the only one who had used that term. Maybe you are writing him off?

This must be one of the silliest threads ever on .net

Honestly astounded at the paranoia on here from some.

Take a look at recent threads about Hanlon, Nelson, Mullen - that's writing players off...

:rolleyes:

Just a wee bit boring now. It's fair enough you have an opinion but do you need to say over and over how bad you think he played, that's probably why people think you are just having a go at him.

I personally think he played ok in the few spells in the match that we actually pressed them, From my memory of Inverness this is how they played against us when he was their standout player. He was asked to play a defensive midfield role but I'm not certain that suits his strengths, he was just infront of the back 4 so he could mark McFadden.

snooky
06-08-2013, 11:37 PM

No, you're not the only one, SF.
Me and my mate totally agree with you.

KWJ
06-08-2013, 11:53 PM
I didn't see him do all that much but I didn't see him do anything wrong either. He seemed available for passes and the defence, Nelson in particular, should have been giving it to him.

He was clearly told to sit for the whole game while KT & Robertson were given more freedom, he stuck to his task. Hoping he can pop up at a few more set pieces and get on the end of the ball rather than Shaun Hutchison's knee, looked a sair yin!

Had him in an old FM game when he was at Preston I think, always done well for me and had a bullet of a strike.

There was someone on here earlier saying that Fenlon hadn't signed anybody with proper, like international, experience. Well, OTJ is your man.

Pray4Marc
07-08-2013, 12:34 AM

Was a complete passenger.

truehibernian
07-08-2013, 12:50 AM
Was a complete passenger.

Really ? Watch the game again mate - there's a good reason Keith Lasley rarely ventured forward or had much input in the final third. Reason was both KT and OTJ.

You clearly know zip about football.

Dashing Bob S
07-08-2013, 02:34 AM
Haven't seen him play but I feel that his silly name should make him a deserved target for the boo boys. Not that I've a racist bone in my body nor am I in any way condoning a return to full scale eighties style soccer violence etc etc but OTJ needs to get a few down his neck in George Street to be fully accepted as 'one of us' etc etc disgrace to his profession with people in the stands giving their right arms to pull on the Jersey etc etc and they call us terrorists etc etc

Brightside
07-08-2013, 07:09 AM

The team werent poor. They played well. Its just that it was really negative football. But they played the negative football well. :wink:

Brightside
07-08-2013, 07:12 AM
:rolleyes:

Just a wee bit boring now. It's fair enough you have an opinion but do you need to say over and over how bad you think he played, that's probably why people think you are just having a go at him.

I personally think he played ok in the few spells in the match that we actually pressed them, From my memory of Inverness this is how they played against us when he was their standout player. He was asked to play a defensive midfield role but I'm not certain that suits his strengths, he was just infront of the back 4 so he could mark McFadden.

and mcfadden hardly got a kick of the ball....despite the majority on here saying he's one of the best players in scotland. No either thats piyesh or OTJ did his job well?

spike220
07-08-2013, 08:00 AM

Only on here! I do seem to recall Tom Kite and the seven dwarfs in the midfield a few seasons ago where we seemed to put a moratorium on recruiting anyone over 5'7.

KWJ
07-08-2013, 08:14 AM
The team werent poor. They played well. Its just that it was really negative football. But they played the negative football well. :wink:

Not well enough!

Leighonel
07-08-2013, 08:39 AM
and mcfadden hardly got a kick of the ball....despite the majority on here saying he's one of the best players in scotland. No either thats piyesh or OTJ did his job well?

Yeah my point was he did well against mcfadden. Mcfadden had to drop deeper/go wide to find space.

Brightside
07-08-2013, 08:45 AM
Yeah my point was he did well against mcfadden. Mcfadden had to drop deeper/go wide to find space.

I was agreeing with you. OTJ did what was asked of him and did it well.

seven nowt
07-08-2013, 11:34 AM

Why should I settle for below average players? This player here, is supposed to replace Claros so I expect the same standard or better, and I agree with SquashedFrogg that he was a passenger all game, rarely got involved, looked uncomfortable in possession, looked very slow.

I'm a big fan of KT and he undermined OTJ. And he had to, because OTJ offered no support. I hope he prove himself, but on sunday's evidence, I can't see it happening.

This is the problem, we buy players, we get the "give him a chance".. these are professional football players, and should perform better than OTJ did. Thomson deserves all the credit for stopping Lasley's attacks.

Pray4Marc
07-08-2013, 12:29 PM
Really ? Watch the game again mate - there's a good reason Keith Lasley rarely ventured forward or had much input in the final third. Reason was both KT and OTJ.

You clearly know zip about football.

Keith Lasley is a holding midfielder and VERY rarely ventures forward, OTJ contributed nothing. KT and SR ran the midfield for us. "You clearly know zip about football" (troll attempt) is embarrassing after your on opening sentence.

HibeeEmma
07-08-2013, 01:02 PM
Height means nothing, Derek Townsley is all i'm saying.

JimBHibees
07-08-2013, 01:07 PM
Thought he did a pretty effective defensive midfield role. More about covering space and areas rather than being particularly effective on the ball.

Aldo
07-08-2013, 01:22 PM
Sorry but would prefer Taiwo to start the derby along with KT.

TT along with Jorge was outstanding at the PBS last time out.

OTJ will get his chance but I'm after a tiger ish approach from TT getting stuck right in about the tattooed one.

Stevie Reid
07-08-2013, 01:24 PM
Happy to have him on board. Was part of a midfield that did ok on Sunday, and his performance certainly doesn't warrant 3 pages of scrutiny, IMO.

snooky
07-08-2013, 05:15 PM
Thought he did a pretty effective defensive midfield role. More about covering space and areas rather than being particularly effective on the ball.

:agree: a-la Brian Kerr

Eyrie
07-08-2013, 07:39 PM

I remember being nervous the first time Kevin James came up for a corner against us. I must have been very young and naïve .......

The Sea-gull
07-08-2013, 08:00 PM

Don't see why you go on about this "delighted to be proven wrong" stuff. Perfectly valid turn of phrase for any honest hibs fan. I don't think we will beat Hearts on Sunday and I don't think Pat will be here for the long haul but would be delighted to be proved wrong on both counts as it would mean hibs are doing well and I am a hibs fan after all and being a fan means I want them to do well all the time. It doesn't mean I think they will though and what is wrong with making an honest assessment even if it means my thoughts don't equal my desires.

3pm
07-08-2013, 08:03 PM

Big man scored at the PSH. Hopefully OTJ follows suit.

truehibernian
07-08-2013, 08:05 PM
I remember being nervous the first time Kevin James came up for a corner against us. I must have been very young and naïve .......

You're not alone Eyrie mate. Kev is a top top bloke though, nicer person you couldn't meet. He's currently a boy in blue in Edinburgh. Takes the 6-2 banter well - really decent spud though.