PDA

View Full Version : Alex Mcleish- Manager?

GreenArmyyy!
05-08-2013, 09:23 AM
Just a bit of curiosity on everyone's views of Mcleish? I wasn't attending games consistently under his tenure as I was too young but would like to know if people would take him back? I know he did well for us, I also know he had a very large backing compared to other managers financially, then there was the Rangers saga. He has had fairly mixed fortunes as a manager since then so was he a good manager or did he just buy a good squad?

Gustavo Fring
05-08-2013, 09:28 AM
i was a regular when mcleish was in charge , he did buy a good squad but all teams were doing the same . best match of my lifetime AEK athens was his best moment for me . also a run to the SC cup final and a pumping from a very good celtic team .

brought some wonderful players to hibs . latapy , sauzee , zitelli , luna to name but a few

best days as a hibby for me were under mcleish . mowbray was good times but mcleish was a bit more exciting

YehButNoBut
05-08-2013, 09:33 AM
TBH if we could get McLeish I would jump at the chance.

He did well enough at Hibs and has since gone on to manage our national side and at EPL level.

Would be a huge improvement on our current incumbent and I don't think he would need to change the current squad much just organise them better and get them motivated.

NOLA
05-08-2013, 09:34 AM
would be a great appointment, will never happen though.

GreenPJ
05-08-2013, 09:38 AM
McLeish and Mowbray for that matter were a surprise for me in that both were attack minded managers and both had issues with defence (whether it be goalkeepers or defenders) that if you consider where they played as players they never properly addressed. Admittedly under McLeish, Sauzee helped the defenders enormously and made the most out of people like Paul Fenwick.

My concern would be with McLeish, he did well with money, it would still have to be proven how he can work without it. We were on quite a slide when he followed the cash along the M8.

He still speaks highly of the club though.

southsider
05-08-2013, 09:40 AM
I would have him back....knows the game and has a lot of contacts both north and south of the border plus uncovered a few wee gems for us.:flag:

Gustavo Fring
05-08-2013, 09:46 AM
My concern would be with McLeish, he did well with money, it would still have to be proven how he can work without it.

he won the cup at motherwell with very little resources

Aldo
05-08-2013, 09:48 AM

What cup was that?? McLeish didn't win anything with them.

Eyrie
05-08-2013, 09:49 AM
McLeish and Mowbray for that matter were a surprise for me in that both were attack minded managers and both had issues with defence (whether it be goalkeepers or defenders) that if you consider where they played as players they never properly addressed. Admittedly under McLeish, Sauzee helped the defenders enormously and made the most out of people like Paul Fenwick.

My concern would be with McLeish, he did well with money, it would still have to be proven how he can work without it. We were on quite a slide when he followed the cash along the M8.

He still speaks highly of the club though.

The bit in bold is the bit everyone forgets about him in the rush to condemn the GJP for quitting. Add in that he's not done much elsewhere and he's not the great manager that misty eyed memory makes him. That said, I think that he could do a decent job with our current squad given that current state of the SPL.

Pretty Boy
05-08-2013, 09:51 AM

No he didn't.

He's 'only' won trophies at Rangers and Birmingham.

The Sea-gull
05-08-2013, 09:51 AM

He didn't win any cups with Motherwell unless he won a Lanarkshire cup or tennents 6s. He did regularly finish high up the league with them and got second on one occasion. A while since he has worked at low level in terms of resource but if we could get him I would jump at the chance. He may only take the job on the condition that he is allowed to leave if a bigger club comes on for him but who is to say that will happen. He might fancy getting back to Scotland for a bit.

Gustavo Fring
05-08-2013, 09:52 AM
What cup was that?? McLeish didn't win anything with them.

thats right my bad . he got 2nd in the league with them though

GreenArmyyy!
05-08-2013, 09:52 AM
would be a great appointment, will never happen though.

Why don't you think it would happen?

Gustavo Fring
05-08-2013, 09:53 AM
Why don't you think it would happen?

2 words

rod petrie

Onion
05-08-2013, 09:55 AM
Just a bit of curiosity on everyone's views of Mcleish? I wasn't attending games consistently under his tenure as I was too young but would like to know if people would take him back? I know he did well for us, I also know he had a very large backing compared to other managers financially, then there was the Rangers saga. He has had fairly mixed fortunes as a manager since then so was he a good manager or did he just buy a good squad?

McLeish is a proper manager. Yes, he had more money than most when we won the 1st div and he used his connections well (e.g. Sauzee) but he made solid managerial decisions. When any new manager joins a club you always look to see if he can id and address the weaknesses, and McLeish did that instantly. He could also change a game/tactics when needed.

Sadly think he's out of our reach these days. Hibs won't be able to match his ambitions for the club with cash.

Aldo
05-08-2013, 09:56 AM
2 words

rod petrie

Hibs got compensation from der Hun. Given the chance I am sure AM would come back.

Don't think RP and AM had any issues. Maybe wrong and some of the ITK guys can shed any light.

Captain Trips
05-08-2013, 10:03 AM
Yes.

Kaiser1962
05-08-2013, 10:05 AM
2 words

rod petrie

McLeish needs money to manage and who would finance that? As others have said he had a decent team but it was bought and paid for with money we did no have, and resulted in us being close to going bust.

In 2003 PWC described five scottish clubs as "techncally insolvent" and they were Dundee, Livingston, Dunfermline, Hearts and Hibs with a special mention given to Rangers who were trying to raise £57m at the time.

Spot the odd one out in that list.

PS Villa fans christened him "The Relegator"

Cabbage East
05-08-2013, 10:21 AM
I would love to have McLeish back.

MB62
05-08-2013, 10:32 AM
Absolutely definitely 100% NOT for me.
Whilst I actually like Alex as a person, I think he is hopeless as a manager and if derhun had not come in for him when they did, I reckon he would have been booted out the door at Easter Road. He was in charge of Hibs when we were paying silly money in wages for Sauzee and Latapy etc but I think he has been a useless manager everywhere he has gone, a one season wonder at best.

McColl or Butcher for me as the next lamb to the slaughter, although I feel our problems lie a lot deeper than just the team manager.

keep the faith
05-08-2013, 10:35 AM
Would be the best possible realistic appointment IMO.

bandylegs_jLeighton
05-08-2013, 11:25 AM
He would be my favourite choice as well.

allezsauzee
05-08-2013, 11:29 AM
Clearly nobody remembers the bloated squad full of guff that he left behind. Motherwell supporters with good memories will also recall he left them in a similar state. I agree that the football at times under McLeish was fantastic but realistically even if we got him, we wouldn't be able to sign the sort of players that made the football possible this time round.

Billychaotic182
05-08-2013, 11:56 AM
My number one pick.

MB62
05-08-2013, 11:58 AM
Clearly nobody remembers the bloated squad full of guff that he left behind. Motherwell supporters with good memories will also recall he left them in a similar state. I agree that the football at times under McLeish was fantastic but realistically even if we got him, we wouldn't be able to sign the sort of players that made the football possible this time round.

:agree: :agree:

KiddA
05-08-2013, 01:31 PM

Would take him back in a heart beat :agree: had Hibs playing the best football in years and made some quality signings Colgan, Lovell, G. Smith, Sauzee, Fenwick, Laursen, O'Neil, Jack, Latapy, Paatelainen, Zitelli to name a few :wink::greengrin

hibby67
05-08-2013, 01:42 PM
If I remember correctly he had a great first season when he brought us back up from the 1st division
But we were on terrible run just before he moved on to rangers

Keith_M
05-08-2013, 02:10 PM
Not enough money to pay his wages.

Not enough money to buy the kind of players he had the last time.

E10 Rifle
05-08-2013, 02:13 PM
McLeish needs money to manage and who would finance that? As others have said he had a decent team but it was bought and paid for with money we did no have, and resulted in us being close to going bust.

In 2003 PWC described five scottish clubs as "techncally insolvent" and they were Dundee, Livingston, Dunfermline, Hearts and Hibs with a special mention given to Rangers who were trying to raise £57m at the time.

Spot the odd one out in that list.

PS Villa fans christened him "The Relegator"

He did bring in money as well though don't forget. De la cruz went for twice the money we paid for him, Laursen went as well did he not, so he wasn't just about outlay he was also about generating some income.

I was a big fan of McLeish as a manager and a man (he was a gent and gave a lot of time to supporters functions at the time) and we would be very short sighted not to at least sound him out. if we can forgive Murray and Thomson for furthering their careers and wages by going to Rangers and then returning then I'm pretty sure most of us can with McLeish too.

He doesn't have Andy Watson with him this time around though so it would be interesting to see what sort of double act he could form with Jimmy Nichol.

Hibiza
05-08-2013, 02:17 PM
An egotistical weedgie. Might end up at sevco :flag:

Keith_M
05-08-2013, 02:18 PM
An egotistical weedgie.

Like Alex Ferguson and who'd want HIM in charge

Kato
05-08-2013, 02:24 PM
Cheque-Book manager, signs four bad players to find one good one. No ta.

gav71
05-08-2013, 02:27 PM
I was a massive fan of mcleish all the players we had at the time but regardless of who we have as boss as someone said earlier the problems lie deeper would love to know rod petries plan for the next 5 years any other company he would be gone by now but that's just my opinion what do you guys think?

brog
05-08-2013, 02:28 PM
i was a regular when mcleish was in charge , he did buy a good squad but all teams were doing the same . best match of my lifetime AEK athens was his best moment for me . also a run to the SC cup final and a pumping from a very good celtic team .

brought some wonderful players to hibs . latapy , sauzee , zitelli , luna to name but a few

best days as a hibby for me were under mcleish . mowbray was good times but mcleish was a bit more exciting

Whilst I actually like Alex as a person, I think he is hopeless as a manager and if derhun had not come in for him when they did, I reckon he would have been booted out the door at Easter Road. He was in charge of Hibs when we were paying silly money in wages for Sauzee and Latapy etc but I think he has been a useless manager everywhere he has gone, a one season wonder at best.

McColl or Butcher for me as the next lamb to the slaughter, although I feel our problems lie a lot deeper than just the team manager.

i agree 100%. Good guy, not a great manager. Despite winning a trophy with Brum he was absolutely loathed & not just for his Villa connections. His football was awful, makes PF look like Guardiola!

Ricky Bobby
05-08-2013, 03:17 PM
makes PF look like Guardiola!

seriously? You honestly think the results against the yams and malmo would have happened under Mcleish?

offshorehibby
05-08-2013, 03:21 PM
Did he not have a long loosing run before he left. I think he's a manager that needs a big cheque book and even then I don't think he's that good.

brog
05-08-2013, 03:29 PM
makes PF look like Guardiola!

seriously? You honestly think the results against the yams and malmo would have happened under Mcleish?

I meant in the sense that he can be just as negative a manager as PF. His tactics at Brum were awful & crowds plummeted. Re Malmo, as it was our worst ever home defeat its a bit pointless asking would it have happened under x, y or z. It wouldn't have happened under a decent Schoolboy manager. If you want a direct comparison I would say our performances in 2 cup finals vs Celtc under AM & PF were virtually identical.

West hamBERNIAN
05-08-2013, 03:37 PM
Going against the majority here, think he has struggled when the cash hasn't been there. Hibs would I imagine have to back him with a lot of funds for him to be successful and I'm sure he'd command a huge wage himself. I'd like us to bring someone in who would be looking to make hibs a footballing football team, a team that would get the fans back in the stands.

Possibly is easier said than done but to me letting Alex loose with a cheque book would just be a part time fix.

Ricky Bobby
05-08-2013, 07:45 PM
I meant in the sense that he can be just as negative a manager as PF. His tactics at Brum were awful & crowds plummeted. Re Malmo, as it was our worst ever home defeat its a bit pointless asking would it have happened under x, y or z. It wouldn't have happened under a decent Schoolboy manager. If you want a direct comparison I would say our performances in 2 cup finals vs Celtc under AM & PF were virtually identical.

The Celtic team that beat us under Mcleish was far stronger than than the team that beat us in May.
He was possibly employed negative tactics at Birmingham, but they were a newly promoted team to the premiership trying to stay up. Most teams that come up from the championship are negative until they become established, re Stoke City, West Ham. Birmingham have certainly never been close since he left.

E10 Rifle
05-08-2013, 08:54 PM
Cheque-Book manager, signs four bad players to find one good one. No ta.:clown:

I wonder what Sir Alex's ratio was - bet it wasn't a million miles off this. Plus what do you reckon Fenlon's current ratio is?

RoslinInstHibby
05-08-2013, 08:56 PM
Mcleish built the best hibs team i have seen in the flesh, also has a vast amount of contacts and more importantly for us now......experience

CRAZYHIBBY
06-08-2013, 07:39 AM
Id defo take big eck back....... I went to almost every game during his time ........did he not sign something like 50 players for hibs? And he never lost a derby

brog
06-08-2013, 08:48 AM
The Celtic team that beat us under Mcleish was far stronger than than the team that beat us in May.
He was possibly employed negative tactics at Birmingham, but they were a newly promoted team to the premiership trying to stay up. Most teams that come up from the championship are negative until they become established, re Stoke City, West Ham. Birmingham have certainly never been close since he left.

Dont get me wrong I'd take AM before PF any day of the week but I think if we're going to replace PF we can do better than AM. I live in London & see a lot of English football. A few months ago I saw Brum destroy Pace 4-0 at Selhurst. Talking with Brum fans before the game they were scathing about AM, as were Villa fans I meet regularly in London. My main criticism of PF is he's too cautious & tactically naive. That's exactly what Villa & Brum fans thought about AM. Remember AM got his jotters only 3 months after Brum won their 1st trophy for 50 years, that takes some doing.

LancsHibs
06-08-2013, 09:39 AM
Would love for this to happen. He would get so much more from this group of players and has a network of contacts in the game

Geo_1875
06-08-2013, 09:53 AM

And McLeish's Hibs were far superior to our Cup Final team last year. OK, the Latapy situation didn't help but we didn't compete any better then than last year. It's probably unfair to compare us to the Old Firm at any time but we expected more that year and never got it.

A great big NO from me.

lord bunberry
06-08-2013, 10:15 AM
If I remember correctly he had a great first season when he brought us back up from the 1st division
But we were on terrible run just before he moved on to rangers

It's was our second season up that we finished third.

Phil D. Rolls
06-08-2013, 10:20 AM

An egotistical weedgie. Might end up at sevco :flag:

I've a funny feeling the new manager at Ibrox will come from this trio. It may be very soon.

Leithenhibby
06-08-2013, 10:29 AM
Id defo take big eck back....... I went to almost every game during his time ........did he not sign something like 50 players for hibs? And he never lost a derby

So that's where all our debt came from!... :wink:

He flatters to deceive for Me. Granted he gets the feel good factor going to start with and then jumps ship.

Motherwell - Jumped ship.
Hibernian - Jumped ship after standing in the centre circle and said he'd stay as long as we wanted him...
Rangers - Jumped ship
Scotland - Jumped ship
Birmingham - Booted.

No thanks...........

oldbutdim
06-08-2013, 10:37 AM
Judas.

No ta.

Keith_M
06-08-2013, 10:49 AM
I'd like to repeat my earlier comment.

McLeish = Big Spending.

Hibs have neither the money to pay his salary or the type of spending that characterised his previous stint at Easter Road.

As mentioned by others, he also jumped ship from almost every other job he's been in. Hardly a good sign for the continuity we really need at Easter Road.

michael_wilson1
07-08-2013, 05:27 PM
yep would take him back in a minute, i was lucky enough to have met him when he was incharge and was a true gentleman and had us playin like a fitbaw team unlike the master tactician we have the now