PDA

View Full Version : Petrie - Stay or Go?

hibee19
04-08-2013, 10:59 PM
Given we've wasted another managerial appointment and probably another season do you think Petrie should go now?

OrdHibby
04-08-2013, 11:06 PM
i think the season can be saved if something is done now

hibee19
04-08-2013, 11:07 PM
i think the season can be saved if something is done now

Something may be done now, but will it be the right thing. They've failed in the past.

Gustavo Fring
04-08-2013, 11:08 PM
he should have gone after may the 19th last year . the most horrible season i can remember - 10 times worse than the season we were relegated and that was an absolute nightmare

OrdHibby
04-08-2013, 11:10 PM
Something may be done now, but will it be the right thing. They've failed in the past.

True. It depends on ambition. I'll leave it at that.

Emerald
04-08-2013, 11:10 PM
Petrie is an accountant employed by Hibs, its not his money he's spending. He is under orders to make sure Hibs balance the books and he is not an egotistical owner. He is doing the job he was asked to do well. If we get rid of Petrie all we will get is someone else doing the same job with the same remit. I don't think Petrie is the problem tbh.

Hibbyradge
04-08-2013, 11:11 PM
Given we've wasted another managerial appointment and probably another season do you think Petrie should go now?

Go where?

OrdHibby
04-08-2013, 11:12 PM
Go where?

HELL :cb

hibee19
04-08-2013, 11:14 PM
Petrie is an accountant employed by Hibs, its not his money he's spending. He is under orders to make sure Hibs balance the books and he is not an egotistical owner. He is doing the job he was asked to do well. If we get rid of Petrie all we will get is someone else doing the same job with the same remit. I don't think Petrie is the problem tbh.

We've changed managers time and time again and its not worked. Something certainly needs to change.

Emerald
04-08-2013, 11:16 PM
We've changed managers time and time again and its not worked. Something certainly needs to change.

But is it Petrie, what power does he really have?

hibee19
04-08-2013, 11:18 PM
But is it Petrie, what power does he really have?

Its not about power to spend more money, we have larger budgets than most teams, its the way that money is spent.

Gustavo Fring
04-08-2013, 11:18 PM
petrie must go . we dont need an accountant in charge of the club . we need someone who wants an entertaining team packing out the stadium . selling merchandise off the back of success on the pitch

not some clown that only has missed opportunitys and humiliation to dwell on

Emerald
04-08-2013, 11:23 PM
Its not about power to spend more money, we have larger budgets than most teams, its the way that money is spent.

Its the manager that makes those decision (I think) and the board that sanction them. As far as I know it wasn't Petrie who employed Fenlon or at least not him alone. I'm not sticking up for him but until we have an owner with ambition rather than just saving us we won't go any further. I temper that by saying be careful what you wish for because at least we have a future unlike others not too far away. :agree:

hibee19
04-08-2013, 11:25 PM
Its the manager that makes those decision (I think) and the board that sanction them. As far as I know it wasn't Petrie who employed Fenlon or at least not him alone. I'm not sticking up for him but until we have an owner with ambition rather than just saving us we won't go any further. I temper that by saying be careful what you wish for because at least we have a future unlike others not too far away. :agree:

There are more than two examples of how to run a football club. Changing the way Hibs are run doesn't mean we'll go bust within a year.

Emerald
04-08-2013, 11:30 PM
There are more than two examples of how to run a football club. Changing the way Hibs are run doesn't mean we'll go bust within a year.
I agree, night night :greengrin

Hibs Giant
04-08-2013, 11:44 PM
Petrie isn't involved in managerial recruitment anymore. So what would be the point in him leaving?

Nailrod
04-08-2013, 11:57 PM
Petrie is an accountant employed by Hibs, its not his money he's spending. He is under orders to make sure Hibs balance the books and he is not an egotistical owner. He is doing the job he was asked to do well. If we get rid of Petrie all we will get is someone else doing the same job with the same remit. I don't think Petrie is the problem tbh.I'm not sure that Mr Petrie would recognise this pen picture of him as a humble bean-counter "doing what he's told".

Mr Petrie is a big shot in Scottish football. Mr Petrie owes his status as a big shot in Scottish football to his position as Chairman of Hibernian Football club. I have a sneaking suspicion bordering on an absolute certainty that Mr Petrie's status as a big shot in Scottish football is of rather more importance to him than the fact that the club of which he is Chairman has become a humiliation factory for its fans.

silverhibee
05-08-2013, 12:03 AM
Petrie isn't involved in managerial recruitment anymore. So what would be the point in him leaving?

Yes he is, he has the final say on who becomes the manager of the club.

Nailrod
05-08-2013, 12:08 AM
Petrie is an accountant employed by Hibs, its not his money he's spending. He is under orders to make sure Hibs balance the books... He is doing the job he was asked to do well. If we get rid of Petrie all we will get is someone else doing the same job with the same remit. I don't think Petrie is the problem tbh. Oh and by the way please stop regurgitating the Petrie apologists' myth that he's "balancing the books".

We lost about a million quid in last year's accounts and about a million quid the year before. This year we'll be lucky to lose only a million quid, given that the chances of Fenlon's dross fluking their way past the first club they meet from either of the top two leagues in either of the Cups is nada.

Hibs Giant
05-08-2013, 12:29 AM
Yes he is, he has the final say on who becomes the manager of the club.

He wasn't involved in Fenlon's appointment.

Nailrod
05-08-2013, 12:40 AM
He wasn't involved in Fenlon's appointment.1. Are you seriously suggesting that the Chairman of the club had no involvement whatsoever with the appointment of what is unarguably the most important single position in the club?

2. Assuming your answer to (1) is 'yes', then WTF is he doing as Chairman of the club? Why doesn't he take his portly backside off to retirement and make way for a Chairman who (a) is involved in the appointment of the manager, and (b) is capable of conjuring up someone who isn't yet another in a serial of abject failures?

Hibs Giant
05-08-2013, 12:58 AM
1. Are you seriously suggesting that the Chairman of the club had no involvement whatsoever with the appointment of what is unarguably the most important single position in the club?

2. Assuming your answer to (1) is 'yes', then WTF is he doing as Chairman of the club? Why doesn't he take his portly backside off to retirement and make way for a Chairman who (a) is involved in the appointment of the manager, and (b) is capable of conjuring up someone who isn't yet another in a serial of abject failures?

1) Yes

2) He delegated to the Directors following his Calderwood apology. Chairmen can often be quite removed from the hands-on running of a business.

Nailrod
05-08-2013, 01:33 AM
1) Yes... He delegated to the Directors following his Calderwood apology. Then what effing use is he as a chairman? If he's not involved at all in the single most important decision that the Board of Directors of a football club has to make, then what effing purpose does he serve?

Chairmen can often be quite removed from the hands-on running of a business.How great would it be if he could be "quite removed" altogether from any further involvement with Hibernian Football Club.

OrdHibby
05-08-2013, 07:23 AM
He does. He as chairman has to sanction any employee at the club on the football side of things. I see the scape goat for appointing Fenlon has left the club. Who gave Mr Lindsay the go ahead to sign Mr Fenlon.
The buck stops at the chairman who has no knowledge of football whatsoever. He either appoints someone who does to take care of these matters or takes the flack. When Fenlon was signed it was clear he was the cheap option as a certain Michael O'Neill with no money had wiped the floor with him 2 seasons running in the LoI. This says everything about the Hibs board i'm afraid.

Bill Milne
05-08-2013, 07:43 AM
Rod does a fantastic job for the club in financial terms. It's when he interferes on the playing side that the c*ck ups occur, most notably in the appointments of a series of managers who have little idea of how to field a competitive team.

blackpoolhibs
05-08-2013, 07:51 AM
Rod does a fantastic job for the club in financial terms. It's when he interferes on the playing side that the c*ck ups occur, most notably in the appointments of a series of managers who have little idea of how to field a competitive team.

Does he, we have lost money recently due to his management appointments? I remember being told i just had to be a little more patient, and once the infrastructure was finished we'd be in a fantastic position to push on.

Now this is correct but with one massive flaw, Petrie.

greenpaper55
05-08-2013, 07:55 AM
This Quote from Rod when he appointed Fenlon

"Put simply, Pat Fenlon is a winner," said Easter Road chairman Rod Petrie.
"He has a record of winning championships and cups at different clubs and his teams have competed regularly in Europe.
"This pedigree is matched by the ambition Hibernian has for sporting success."

Well that might come back and bite his bum !, by anyones standards his choice of managers have been staggeringly bad but it seems that he is the golden boy who cannot do wrong in the eyes of the owner, so be it , it seems it will have to get to crisis levels again before anything is changed and then it will all start over again.

Phil MaGlass
05-08-2013, 07:57 AM

Given the amount of managers who he has appointed, sacked and paid off also add to that the paying fans who stopped going to the games, its him who has to take the rap for appointing poor managers, nobody else.I have no idea how much we have had to pay managers off, but it doesnt take a rocket scientist to see that had we invested in an experienced manager (Scottish or otherwise) we may not be in the mess were in now or have been for the past few seasons.

Bill Milne
05-08-2013, 07:59 AM
Does he, we have lost money recently due to his management appointments? I remember being told i just had to be a little more patient, and once the infrastructure was finished we'd be in a fantastic position to push on.

Now this is correct but with one massive flaw, Petrie.

Bear in mind that we are still paying off large mortgages for the new stands and training complex. This has to be managed in a structured way and is, I suspect, the root of many Yam claims that we are going bust ourselves. Any losses we incur from year to year are incurred by attempts to support the manager so, yes, I am satisfied Rod's financial efforts are excellent.

Pretty Boy
05-08-2013, 08:05 AM
If Fenlon has a year left on his contract how much would it cost to punt him?

Very few people get a full settlement when sacked so say he's on 80k a year if we agree to call it mutual consent and offer him 50k would that work? Might be more cost effective long term as yesterdays crowd and the rumoured poor sales for Tynecastle show apathy is setting in fast again.

blackpoolhibs
05-08-2013, 08:13 AM
Bear in mind that we are still paying off large mortgages for the new stands and training complex. This has to be managed in a structured way and is, I suspect, the root of many Yam claims that we are going bust ourselves. Any losses we incur from year to year are incurred by attempts to support the manager so, yes, I am satisfied Rod's financial efforts are excellent.

I don't think you can separate his management appointments with the way he has run the finances, there is a direct link to why we have been losing money, he does support the manager i have said this many times.

Its the managers he appoints that are useless, and he then has to fund them each transfer window and then pay him and the numptys the manager brought to the club off each couple of years or so.

Who's to say someone else couldn't have done a much better job that Petrie, all i hear from the folk who support him is, Leeds United Portsmouth and Hearts?

You'd think those were the only options without Petrie at the helm?

Bill Milne
05-08-2013, 08:21 AM
[QUOTE=blackpoolhibs;3704851]

Its the managers he appoints that are useless, and he then has to fund them each transfer window and then pay him and the numptys the manager brought to the club off each couple of years or so.

This is the original point I made, Gary, that his appointments are his big problem. Get this right and the club prospers. It doesn't deflect from my contention that, in financial terms, the club is run properly.

blackpoolhibs
05-08-2013, 08:25 AM
[QUOTE=blackpoolhibs;3704851]

This is the original point I made, Gary, that his appointments are his big problem. Get this right and the club prospers. It doesn't deflect from my contention that, in financial terms, the club is run properly.

Ok, apart losing money and the product on the park being crap the club is run properly? :confused:

lucky
05-08-2013, 08:25 AM
I voted keep. Appointing managers is a lottery. Most SPL clubs struggle and get 1 great season in 10. Whist St Johnstone and Motherwell have done well in the league they have won nothing. Motherwell have been humped in very Euro tie for the last 2 years. I know we need to get rid of PF but Rodders and the board have done their job by backing him financially this season by buying 2 players and resigning McGirven and Thompson. It's not the board that's the problem it's PF's tactics.

jonny
05-08-2013, 10:20 AM
I was under the impression that as well as being Chairman of the club that RP owned something like 10%. I thought that TF rewarded him with x amount of shares a few years ago.
Happy to be corrected if wrong but if that is the case does anyone really think he will just walk away from such an investment? I think it's absolute pie in the sky to think that RP will leave in the next few years and FWIW even if he did I can't see it making much difference (if any) on the pitch. Who's to say the next chairman won't appoint huddy managers as well?
Better the devil you know for me.

silverhibee
05-08-2013, 11:59 AM
He wasn't involved in Fenlon's appointment.

Yes he was, he had the final say.

Keith_M
05-08-2013, 12:04 PM
Who would you replace him with?

STF would replace him with one of the other 99 Rod Petries

hibee19
05-08-2013, 12:09 PM
Who would you replace him with?

STF would replace him with one of the other 99 Rod Petries

As long as one of them proves to be competent.

IWasThere2016
05-08-2013, 12:10 PM
Yes he was, he had the final say.

:agree: Anyone believing RP doesn't have the final say at ER is deluded.

smurf
05-08-2013, 12:37 PM
I have no idea. However, ultimate responsibility for our almost continual underperforming and underachieving must surely go right to the top. There is something seriously wrong at Easter Road. What it is I have no idea. It frustrates the life out of me how poor we are. Our expectations based on our resources compared to others are realistic. Does our custodian and chairman really share them?

HibbySpurs
05-08-2013, 01:06 PM
I voted for him to go.

RP has done an excellent job of turning Hibs into a stable financially viable club and for that I thank him greatly.

However he's been on the board of Hibs for nearly 20 years now and I just think it's time for a new person with fresh ideas to come in and take the club forward.

Preferably someone from within football.

RP is an excellent Cheif Executive/Managing Director and wouldbe welcomed by any business sporting or otherwise, however as football chairman I just dont think he has the right mind set.

hibee19
05-08-2013, 01:55 PM
I have no idea. However, ultimate responsibility for our almost continual underperforming and underachieving must surely go right to the top. There is something seriously wrong at Easter Road. What it is I have no idea. It frustrates the life out of me how poor we are. Our expectations based on our resources compared to others are realistic. Does our custodian and chairman really share them?

The buck has to stop with someone, there is more wrong that bad managerial appointments. Its time for Petrie to go, or for the fans to buy him out.

Gustavo Fring
05-08-2013, 01:59 PM
The buck has to stop with someone, there is more wrong that bad managerial appointments. Its time for Petrie to go, or for the fans to buy him out.

i want petrie gone and i am prepared to put my money where my mouth is and pay a share to buy him out

hibee19
05-08-2013, 02:05 PM
i want petrie gone and i am prepared to put my money where my mouth is and pay a share to buy him out

I want this football club back where it belongs. We're an absolute laughing stock and we've already seen that simply changing managers wont work, we need change at the top.

Hibs Giant
06-08-2013, 01:45 PM
Rod and the other big cheeses look after the club from a long term perspective. If a manager does badly, he leaves. If a manager does well, he leaves. They come and go. We have had a string of bad managers and it has cost the club money, but despite this we are still in a better financial position than MOST other clubs. Not just collapsing clubs like Hearts. The manager recruitment process must improve, but if it does, we'll be in the position to give a good manager enough money to build a very strong side. This is as a result of tough, but excellent, decisions made primarily by Rod. Hibs long term situation looks great, and the short term can turn on a sixpence.

jakeshibs
06-08-2013, 02:05 PM
Rod and the other big cheeses look after the club from a long term perspective. If a manager does badly, he leaves. If a manager does well, he leaves. They come and go. We have had a string of bad managers and it has cost the club money, but despite this we are still in a better financial position than MOST other clubs. Not just collapsing clubs like Hearts. The manager recruitment process must improve, but if it does, we'll be in the position to give a good manager enough money to build a very strong side. This is as a result of tough, but excellent, decisions made primarily by Rod. Hibs long term situation looks great, and the short term can turn on a sixpence.

I agree good post