PDA

View Full Version : Remind me again, why aren't TV replays used help referees?

Hibbyradge
04-08-2013, 08:12 PM
Cricket and tennis both allow decisions to be challenged and both have been successful, although they may need to increase the number of challenges allowed in cricket.

So what are the reasons for them not to be used in the worlds biggest game, football?

bobbyhibs1983
04-08-2013, 08:21 PM
Cricket and tennis both allow decisions to be challenged and both have been successful, although they may need to increase the number of challenges allowed in cricket.

So what are the reasons for them not to be used in the worlds biggest game, football?

Its an intresting question and from my point of view i think it ll really slow down the game.
I have only seen limited challenges in tenis and less in cricket(Probably seen 20mins of this in my life)

I think there would be alot of questions such as
how many are you allowed?
if you are are say 3 in one game and use 2 in game 1 can you use 4 in game 2 and so forth?
will the game just stop?
how fast does it take to get a tv reply?(as for teniis i seem to see it takes like 30seconds but i think they have like line tech stuff)

what would you challange on?

I know my questions may be simple but hey:devil:

Glory Lurker
04-08-2013, 08:25 PM
For all the frustrations that bad ref calls can cause, I think it's also part of what makes football the great sport it is. Introducing technology will just neuter the game. Football is better for its imperfections.

truehibernian
04-08-2013, 08:28 PM
Quite glad today then, cos I thought young Fraser kept his foot in with a challenge in the box first half - I've seen them given.

Ref was very poor today - a challenge on Liam merited a yellow and a free on the edge of the box yet he allowed play on when James Collins had no advantage.

Jack
04-08-2013, 08:30 PM

Good question. I don't think cricket or tennis are good examples as these games have very frequent natural breaks, each bowl and each rally.

Football would have to follow the likes of rugby in the types of decisions that could be challenged/questioned.

The number doesn't have to be cast in stone, it could be revised depending on how things went.

bobbyhibs1983
04-08-2013, 08:33 PM
Ref was very poor today - a challenge on Liam merited a yellow and a free on the edge of the box yet he allowed play on when James Collins had no advantage.

If its the incident im thinking in regards james collins the foul was not on him(i cant recall whom) but collings HAD the ball.For all the ref knew collins could have turned and shopt and scored.Im sure the rules say sometihng like"if a foul has occourred but the team who have won the foul have the ball you can play on"I think there is something like a 6second layway?im sure our player(collins) had the ball for the length of time.
so in that respect i think the red was right

duffers
04-08-2013, 08:45 PM
Thomson's booking was ridiculous today. Early on, first tackle and he won the ball. First time I've noticed this ref but thought he was pretty poor.

truehibernian
04-08-2013, 08:47 PM
If its the incident im thinking in regards james collins the foul was not on him(i cant recall whom) but collings HAD the ball.For all the ref knew collins could have turned and shopt and scored.Im sure the rules say sometihng like"if a foul has occourred but the team who have won the foul have the ball you can play on"I think there is something like a 6second layway?im sure our player(collins) had the ball for the length of time.
so in that respect i think the red was right

You're perhaps right mate but in real time it looked a rash challenge on Liam - which he was vocal about at the half time whistle. James did collect and turn but was immediately hounded by the 'Well defender.

But if you're right I happily concede the point bud.

HibbyDave
04-08-2013, 08:58 PM
It works great at the rugby.

Hibbyradge
04-08-2013, 09:01 PM
Thomson's booking was ridiculous today. Early on, first tackle and he won the ball. First time I've noticed this ref but thought he was pretty poor.

It was a reckless challenge therefore a definite booking.

Hibbyradge
04-08-2013, 09:03 PM
My view is that challenges would be for things which were definite e.g. hand ball, offside, ball over lines etc.

Tackles and penalties are too subjective.

The other thing about TV replays, is that the ref can ask for them as well as the teams...

Sloop
04-08-2013, 09:26 PM
For all the frustrations that bad ref calls can cause, I think it's also part of what makes football the great sport it is. Introducing technology will just neuter the game. Football is better for its imperfections.

There is nothing worse than being shafted by a decision which is later proved to be wrong. I would, therefore, be in favour of the use of any tv / video / goal line technology that might be available.

Not sure if football lends itself to teams challenging decisions as such but, as has been said, both codes of rugby allow the ref to call on the assistance of a video ref when he is unsure of decisions on certain matters. I don't see how it wouldn't work in football. Main stumbling block as far as I can see, at least for our leagues, might be the cost.

Eyrie
04-08-2013, 10:37 PM
Given the problems with DRS in the Ashes, I'm not convinced that referees would manage to get the decisions right even after a referral. It kills the momentum of a game, which is why rugby only uses it to determine if a try has been scored. At least at that point the game has stopped anyway.It would be ridiculous to check for throw ins and corners. The equivalent in football would be to check whether the ball had crossed the line, a foul was inside the box or a goal scorer was onside, and even then you'd be hoping that the cameras showed the correct angle. On balance, I'm against it.

Hibbyradge
04-08-2013, 10:46 PM
Given the problems with DRS in the Ashes, I'm not convinced that referees would manage to get the decisions right even after a referral. It kills the momentum of a game, which is why rugby only uses it to determine if a try has been scored. At least at that point the game has stopped anyway.It would be ridiculous to check for throw ins and corners. The equivalent in football would be to check whether the ball had crossed the line, a foul was inside the box or a goal scorer was onside, and even then you'd be hoping that the cameras showed the correct angle. On balance, I'm against it.

How many decisions would have been queried today?

None, I reckon.

Most games are controversy free so there would be no problem about momentum.

However, when things like this happen, the referees definitely need help:

1 min 10 secs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKuLtLXl7FI

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eB7_hI3eU4k

edinburghhibee
05-08-2013, 05:30 AM
If this had been used yesterday there would have been two penalties given one in first half for Mullins late kick on vigurs while he was heading to goal and hibs would have got a penalty shortly after they scored for Steven McManus' blatant push on I believe it was either Collins or jones in the box as a ball was crossed in from a free kick on the left.

Even without the video tech that push must have been blatant cos I saw it on the minute it happened and McManus looked as shocked as our player when the ref never blew.