PDA

View Full Version : Terry Butcher (3 Year Contract Confirmed)

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

God Petrie
03-11-2013, 02:59 PM
It was to do with an offensive post which was put up. My replies were deleted despite having no offensive language in them.

I find this post offensive.

HoboHarry
03-11-2013, 03:01 PM
Problem is that if you reply to the original post, then it will show up in your post? Maybe thats why it was deleted, so the offensive post would no longer show anywhere?
Aye, fair enough I guess. Just better to avoid them in the future

God Petrie
03-11-2013, 03:05 PM
Aye, fair enough I guess. Just better to avoid them in the future

It's too late you're already on an NSA watchlist

Leishy1995
03-11-2013, 03:06 PM
Aye....what was that all about?

No idea was just shocked at the amount

weonlywon6-2
03-11-2013, 03:08 PM
If Butcher does join us, will he be our first English manager?

oops,just remembered Mowbray !!:rolleyes:

Gordy M
03-11-2013, 03:09 PM
Mowbray??

The Green Goblin
03-11-2013, 03:10 PM
Just imagine right now if that "Fenlon out - Butcher in" thread had never been deleted....!? :greengrin

Jim44
03-11-2013, 03:10 PM

Tony Mowbray.

eastterrace
03-11-2013, 03:12 PM

no dave ewing was english and hopeless.

weonlywon6-2
03-11-2013, 03:16 PM

take it he was a while ago as i don't remember that name, not unless he was in Dallas?

coldingham hibs
03-11-2013, 03:16 PM
Just imagine right now if that "Fenlon out - Butcher in" thread had never been deleted....!? :greengrin

Yes, it was my thread so I'll be coming back if it transpires to say 'told you so'.

Pity it's a year too late.

Part/Time Supporter
03-11-2013, 03:20 PM

Only if Perthshire is now part of England. The whole of his playing career was in England, mainly Man City.

Smiggy 7-0
03-11-2013, 03:24 PM
Come ahead Terry and Maurice Malpas

hibsbollah
03-11-2013, 03:26 PM
I tell you what, we will get much much more positive media if butcher is in charge. They love him but as also scared of him where as they were more than happy to slate fenlon and be disrespectful.

I think you're spot on with this.

eastterrace
03-11-2013, 03:27 PM
Only if Perthshire is now part of England. The whole of his playing career was in England, mainly Man City.

i thought he was english, so there you go learn something new everyday

Baldy
03-11-2013, 03:32 PM

nope he will be our first Singaporian manager

Unseen work
03-11-2013, 03:34 PM
So what's the latest? I'm confused. Who says he is coming?

ancienthibby
03-11-2013, 03:36 PM
So what's the latest? I'm confused. Who says he is coming?

Not the BBC! Only El Chico with no evidence.

eastterrace
03-11-2013, 03:37 PM

theres a few smart erses on here today , i never knew he was born in Singapore:not worth

Hermit Crab
03-11-2013, 03:37 PM
I tell you what, we will get much much more positive media if butcher is in charge. They love him but as also scared of him where as they were more than happy to slate fenlon and be disrespectful.

Is he facing a lengthy ban after that game v united in the cup? Both managers sent to the stand and that cifti facing a 16 game ban too?

Speedway
03-11-2013, 03:48 PM
Butcher out.

God Petrie
03-11-2013, 03:48 PM
I'm going to make up some Anyone But Butcher t-shirts.

One Day Soon
03-11-2013, 03:50 PM
Can we fly England flags if Butcher gets the job, like we did Moroccan ones with Zemmama and Benji?

Ray_
03-11-2013, 03:50 PM

He was manager when Hibs beat Hearts 2-1 at Tynie in the Scottish Cup and got us through to the Semi, where we were very unlucky to lose the replay against Ranger 2-1 "Rangers are Rubbish" fame!

He was also the manager when Joe Baker wore those famous white boots and scored against the then record breaking Bobby Clarke, giving top of the table, Aberdeen their second defeat of the season, in front of almost 24,000 fans at ER. [Joe Baker's second debut].

Aberdeen hadn't lost a goal in 1,155 minutes before their keeper saw Pat Stanton's 30 yard rocket fly past him from the right hand side of the pitch, whilst Hibs played towards the shed.

HIBERNIAN-0762
03-11-2013, 03:56 PM
He was manager when Hibs beat Hearts 2-1 at Tynie in the Scottish Cup and got us through to the Semi, where we were very unlucky to lose the replay against Ranger 2-1 "Rangers are Rubbish" fame!

He was also the manager when Joe Baker wore those famous white boots and scored against the then record breaking Bobby Clarke, giving top of the table, Aberdeen their second defeat of the season, in front of almost 24,000 fans at ER. [Joe Baker's second debut].

Aberdeen hadn't lost a goal in 1,155 minutes before their keeper saw Pat Stanton's 30 yard rocket fly past him from the right hand side of the pitch, whilst Hibs played towards the shed.

Remember it well Ray, happy days..

eastterrace
03-11-2013, 04:00 PM

yes remember it like was yesterday

Ray_
03-11-2013, 04:09 PM
Remember it well Ray, happy days..

Yeah it certainly was, not for Aberdeen though, they ended up losing the league to Celtic by two points that season and had ended the season only conceding 16 league goals. We certainly had the indian sign over Eddie Turbull's team that season, although the corresponding league game up there was a 3-0 defeat.

We played them in the league cup section games, which wasn't long after their Scottish Cup triumph, I think it was the first section game, with Jim Blair playing, it ended 1-1 and the final game, with points even, but them ahead on goal difference [one goal], we had to beat them at ER and we went on to have one of the best half's of football I've ever watched Hibs play and we were leading 4-0 at halftime, the second half didn't really come alive at all and that was the final score.

The Green Goblin
03-11-2013, 04:10 PM
Yes, it was my thread so I'll be coming back if it transpires to say 'told you so'.

Pity it's a year too late.

Indeed. That thread got a bit of pelters, but it turned into a really interesting debate as it went on. Fwiw I was sorry you deleted it.

Dibben
03-11-2013, 04:15 PM
Not the BBC! Only El Chico with no evidence.

In a nutshell...

Speedway
03-11-2013, 04:16 PM
Wouldn't touch err Terry Butcher.

The Green Goblin
03-11-2013, 04:20 PM
I'm going to make up some Anyone But Butcher t-shirts.

Why such hatred of him? Going by your previous posts, is it really because he is English? Seriously? That flies in the face of the spirit in which our great club was founded, doesn't it?

hibees 7062
03-11-2013, 04:28 PM

:greengrin :top marks

basehibby
03-11-2013, 04:28 PM
Not seen any evidence to say it's a done deal but I'm encouraged as I think Butcher is a manager who can take us forward from where we are.

Pames McJake, if your anti-TB argument is based purely on Butcher's own antipathy for a player who blatantly cheated against a team he happened to be skippering at the time then please GTF and take your T-shirts with you - your thinking is as backwards as your handle!

For my money Butcher is the stand out candidate, not just for what he's done with ICT over the last few years - which is undeniably impressive BTW - but also because of his high level experience and standing in the game. These are qualities which it was generally agreed Fenlon lacked and which one would hope might make a difference in the kind of big matches which the team has failed to turn up in at times over the last couple of seasons.

It's a move which would represent progress for Hibs and Butcher and is a great match in my eyes - so I hope Chick Young is right for once and we'll all be admiring his prescience this time next week rather than ridiculing him with the Chick Dung monicker which he has worked so hard for over the years.

1875er
03-11-2013, 04:33 PM
Great post baselhibby.

Gmack7
03-11-2013, 04:39 PM
i hope he gets it,theres also a few attacking players that will be out of contract(i think)at caley come the end of the season,Foran Doran and Mckay who would defo improve our side

Keith_M
03-11-2013, 04:42 PM
Can we fly England flags if Butcher gets the job, like we did Moroccan ones with Zemmama and Benji?

Wouldn't bother me, so wire in.

Actually, there's nothing to stop you doing that already though, as we have a number of English players, including Ben Williams

number9dream
03-11-2013, 04:44 PM
..says Chick Young on radio now.
Done deal CY says.

If any other BBC Scotland journalist went on air saying something like this there would be a story on the website. Indeed, it would be the top story of the day.
But there is nothing other than Rod's comments and a few quotes from Jimmy Nic after the match.
Is this a reflection on how his colleagues view Chick these days?

weonlywon6-2
03-11-2013, 04:45 PM

Wins us the Scottish cup id happily wave an England flag:greengrin

Sir David Gray
03-11-2013, 04:45 PM
Wouldn't bother me, so wire in.

Actually, there's nothing to stop you doing that already though, as we have a number of English players, including Ben Williams

:agree: I'm sure they would go well with the Red Hand of Ulster flag in honour of Ryan McGivern. :wink:

God Petrie
03-11-2013, 04:50 PM
If you can't see how selfish and stupid it is to bring up a 22 year old personal vendetta concerning england while employed by Scotland then I dont know what to say. It's like billy brown whining about St Mirren in 86 while employed by Hibs. Ludicrous.

I don't really care if he hates maradona. It's probably to be expected when he completely rinses you twice en route to the greatest goal ever to be fair. Just don't mention it when the greatest player ever who is adored by Scottish fans is about to begin a managerial career.

It's a conflict of personal interest versus the greater interests of the team. Only one should ever win but unfortunately butchers inherent arrogance thinks Scotland, Diego or anyone else gives a toss if he won't "shake his hand".

Maybe an overreaction on my part for a relatively minor incident but I don't want someone like this managing Hibs. The fact it concerns a personal hero makes me particularly passionate about it.

Whatever though I'm a racist because I'm a Scotland fan and I dislike people who are more concerned with some persecution complex concerning their own nations shambles performance than being respectful to a great player.

Butcher out. Diego in.

Mikey
03-11-2013, 04:58 PM
The biggest problem Butcher is going to have is the people who don't like him and will find something to criticise him about any time they can. It's happening already and it's no more than a rumour.

Part/Time Supporter
03-11-2013, 05:01 PM
If any other BBC Scotland journalist went on air saying something like this there would be a story on the website. Indeed, it would be the top story of the day.
But there is nothing other than Rod's comments and a few quotes from Jimmy Nic after the match.
Is this a reflection on how his colleagues view Chick these days?

Think it's more to do with Chick not being terribly au fait with modern technology. Everything Brian McLauchlin blurts out / tweets usually ends up in an article within a couple of hours, under his byline.

One Day Soon
03-11-2013, 05:02 PM
If you can't see how selfish and stupid it is to bring up a 22 year old personal vendetta concerning england while employed by Scotland then I dont know what to say. It's like billy brown whining about St Mirren in 86 while employed by Hibs. Ludicrous.

I don't really care if he hates maradona. It's probably to be expected when he completely rinses you twice en route to the greatest goal ever to be fair. Just don't mention it when the greatest player ever who is adored by Scottish fans is about to begin a managerial career.

It's a conflict of personal interest versus the greater interests of the team. Only one should ever win but unfortunately butchers inherent arrogance thinks Scotland, Diego or anyone else gives a toss if he won't "shake his hand".

Maybe an overreaction on my part for a relatively minor incident but I don't want someone like this managing Hibs. The fact it concerns a personal hero makes me particularly passionate about it.

Whatever though I'm a racist because I'm a Scotland fan and I dislike people who are more concerned with some persecution complex concerning their own nations shambles performance than being respectful to a great player.

Butcher out. Diego in.

More than a bit disingenoues this.

Like it or not that incident is among the top ten best know in football history. A blatant bit of cheating committed in the final stage of the greatest football tournament in the world by the greatest player in the world (at the time) makes it something that was and is a talking point for pretty much everyone in football.

Put Butcher into the Scotland set up and then find a game with Argentina that has Maradonna present and I think most people would undrestand perfectly Butcher's emotions - even if it is 22 years later.

I see no conflict of interest. If anything Scotland players may well have been motivated by the injustice done to dig in a wee bit harder for one of the guys in their side in the back room team.

Someone that carries a grudge and passion like that is EXACTLY the kind of guy I want managing Hibs. I, for example, have never forgotten or forgiven those cheating Uruguayan Canutes for how they kicked us off the park in Mexico, targetting Charlie Nicholas and basically cheating their way through that game. And that was 27 years ago.

God Petrie
03-11-2013, 05:02 PM
Yep I'll criticise him at every opportunity. Maradona 10 on back of Hibs top for his arrival.

HibeeHendo
03-11-2013, 05:05 PM

Butcher out. Diego in.

I can actually understand Butcher's bitterness towards Maradona. I'd never stop hating him if he done that against Scotland instead of England, especially in a World Cup quarter final.

However, this incident regarding Butcher and Maradona should be irrelevant when discussing Butcher potentially being our new manager.

greenlex
03-11-2013, 05:05 PM
Maybe he should just shake his hand. Remember what happened in Django Unchained. Could turn into carnage.

God Petrie
03-11-2013, 05:09 PM
More than a bit disingenoues this.

Like it or not that incident is among the top ten best know in football history. A blatant bit of cheating committed in the final stage of the greatest football tournament in the world by the greatest player in the world (at the time) makes it something that was and is a talking point for pretty much everyone in football.

Put Butcher into the Scotland set up and then find a game with Argentina that has Maradonna present and I think most people would undrestand perfectly Butcher's emotions - even if it is 22 years later.

I see no conflict of interest. If anything Scotland players may well have been motivated by the injustice done to dig in a wee bit harder for one of the guys in their side in the back room team.

Someone that carries a grudge and passion like that is EXACTLY the kind of guy I want managing Hibs. I, for example, have never forgotten or forgiven those cheating Uruguayan Canutes for how they kicked us off the park in Mexico, targetting Charlie Nicholas and basically cheating their way through that game. And that was 27 years ago.

Maybe you're right in terms of that mentality being a good thing. The fact he was so public about it is what bothers me.

There is a conflict of interest because England and Scotland are rivals. The oldest rivalry in football that he should probably respect. It's not anglophobia or racism to hate your rivals or expect players to respect a rivalry and educate themselves in terms of the history surrounding it. Any player trying harder for Scotland against Argentina in an attempt to punish maradona for his greatest moment should maybe decline the call up.

MWHIBBIES
03-11-2013, 05:09 PM

Butcher out. Diego in.Yeah, if only Terry Butcher was as classy and admirable as Diego Maradona :rolleyes:

Sumner
03-11-2013, 05:11 PM
Bizarre rants about Diego Maradona aside.. hope Butcher is Hibs manager soon, could sort out the players & keep the board in check. Could be perfect for us.. Unless Inverness CT appoint Maradona as gaffer before Saturday of course!
Oh the irony !!

Hiber-nation
Yep I'll criticise him at every opportunity. Maradona 10 on back of Hibs top for his arrival.

Keep going, this is hilarious.

Dunderhall
The biggest problem Butcher is going to have is the people who don't like him and will find something to criticise him about any time they can. It's happening already and it's no more than a rumour.
I don't think it's unique to Butcher though, or that any split is much worse than any of the other main candidates.

I can't see any appointment gaining anything close to universal support, unless Petrie pulls out a shock.

joe breezy
03-11-2013, 05:13 PM
We've had players who have gone the Diego way with coke and hookers and it hasn't worked out for us so far.

Maybe it is time for a new attitude?

AndyM_1875
03-11-2013, 05:15 PM

I'm a Scotland fan too Pames and I'll welcome Terry Butcher to ER with open arms. He's a super coach and man manager.

Maradona may have been the greatest player of my lifetime but he was also a drug taking, cheating little fat ******* with an ego the size of a planet. I don't care for the England football team either but that doesn't mean I won't recognise great players who have played for them or not want proud Englishmen (like Ben Williams) at Hibernian fighting to improve our great club.

I'd suggest you keep your Hibs top for ER and any Maradona stuff for Hampden.

number9dream
03-11-2013, 05:17 PM
Think it's more to do with Chick not being terribly au fait with modern technology. Everything Brian McLauchlin blurts out / tweets usually ends up in an article within a couple of hours, under his byline.

There must be online guys sitting a desk listening in to the radio coverage at BBC HQ or do they just have robots linked up to Twitter these days in a bid to cut costs?
The robots would need to be programmed to make sense out of anything Brian McL tweets, so maybe that kind of technology is beyond mankind at the moment...

Jim44
03-11-2013, 05:17 PM
Petrie says they will not be rushed into an appointment. " "I'm not going to name any names. It's important that we take our time and get the right guy." "It's important that the board get the opportunity to look at all possibilities and we'll make a decision in the fullness of time," added Petrie.
"It's a great opportunity for someone."

Has nobody told him about Chick Young's script?

mim
03-11-2013, 05:20 PM
You've missed the Y off the end of your username

Bishop Hibee
03-11-2013, 05:21 PM
I've reservations about Butcher. He has done very well at ICT but at clubs with high expectations e.g. Ipswich and Sunderland he was poor. I have a mate whose a Brentford fan and let's just say Butcher is not on his Christmas card list.

I'll back him if appointed but he's not top of my list.

God Petrie
03-11-2013, 05:25 PM
You've missed the Y off the end of your username

Whoooooooosh

AndyM_1875
03-11-2013, 05:27 PM
There must be online guys sitting a desk listening in to the radio coverage at BBC HQ or do they just have robots linked up to Twitter these days in a bid to cut costs?
The robots would need to be programmed to make sense out of anything Brian McL tweets, so maybe that kind of technology is beyond mankind at the moment...

:greengrin
I thought when big Brian mentioned Levein in connection with the Hibs job (causing me to choke on my tea) that he'd been inside Hibs hospitality lounge and Rod had poured him an extra large one to keep out the cold!

Ozyhibby
03-11-2013, 05:33 PM
I really hope that we appoint Butcher this week. The more I think about it he is the perfect appointment.

blaikie
03-11-2013, 05:38 PM
Butcher is a decent appointment if true, Just have a bad feeling him and Petrie might clash. Would rather have Mowbray back, but then again he might not reproduce the form

Big Sexy Dave
03-11-2013, 05:39 PM
Can someone post the link? I can't see anything on the Beeb website. I'll be shocked but made up if it happens.

londonhibby
03-11-2013, 05:44 PM
It may not be Butcher. Just found this on the ICT forum.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2486063/Terry-Butcher-list-Middlesbrough-manager-job.html?ITO=socialnet-twitter-middlesbroughmail&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=socialnet-twitter-middlesbroughmail&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

NAE NOOKIE
03-11-2013, 05:48 PM
I dont care if Terry Butcher was England captain. I dont care if Terry Butcher was captain of the now defunct Rangers. I dont care if Terry Butcher hates Maradona.

He may or may not end up being Hibs manager, he may or may not do a good job if he does manage Hibs.

But at the moment of all the serious candidates I can think of him or Stuart McCall would be my favourites

Tony Mowbray has just been forced out at Middlesbrough. Statistically the worst manager in celtic's history by the way.
Kenny Shiels has been out of work for a while now, why has he had no offers?
Peter Grant. One year as a manager, the rest as a coach including with TM at celtic.
Stuart McCall. Done a great job at Motherwell for 2 years even after losing half a team in the summer. But no long signed a new contract.

Whoever it turns out to be I'll support him ... at least until we draw the Yams in a cup tie and lose :greengrin

SunshineOnLeith
03-11-2013, 05:48 PM

Butcher out. Diego in.

Here's Butcher's interview speaking about Maradona: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/7734017.stm

He's asked a question by a tabloid journalist looking for a cheap headline and gives an honest answer about what was probably the most frustrating moment of his playing career. He also spends most of the eleven minute interview talking in very positive terms about Maradona, his legendary status in Argentina (and Scotland!), says "he was the best player I ever played against".

But let's focus on one throwaway comment because that's what the red tops chose to run as the story. The Sun and the Daily Record are fine, fine publications.

basehibby
03-11-2013, 05:52 PM
Great post baselhibby.

Why thank you kindly - my capacity for ego inflation knows no bounds :aok:

Saorsa
03-11-2013, 05:56 PM
Petrie says they will not be rushed into an appointment. " "I'm not going to name any names. It's important that we take our time and get the right guy." "It's important that the board get the opportunity to look at all possibilities and we'll make a decision in the fullness of time," added Petrie.
"It's a great opportunity for someone."

Has nobody told him about Chick Young's script?Aye, because he's been good at that.

Peevemor
03-11-2013, 06:05 PM
Butcher is a decent appointment if true, Just have a bad feeling him and Petrie might clash. Would rather have Mowbray back, but then again he might not reproduce the form

Why would he clash with Petrie? He'd have one of the highest budgets in Scotland to use as he sees fit. The bigger potential problem is whether he'd be given a fair chance by the support.

Hibbyradge
03-11-2013, 06:15 PM

Butcher out. Diego in.

You seem to be giving a toss about it.

hibees 7062
03-11-2013, 06:15 PM
It may not be Butcher. Just found this on the ICT forum.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2486063/Terry-Butcher-list-Middlesbrough-manager-job.html?ITO=socialnet-twitter-middlesbroughmail&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=socialnet-twitter-middlesbroughmail&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Post 200 :wink:

Hermit Crab
03-11-2013, 06:21 PM

I defended you earlier but wind yer neck in. You're now upsetting the natives.

1875er
03-11-2013, 06:24 PM
Can I ask Pames what you will be voting in the independence referendum? ;-)

Nailrod
03-11-2013, 06:27 PM
I can't for the life of me imagine why either Butcher or McCall would be interested in the poisoned chalice at ER. The job of football manager is becoming increasingly a lottery - guys who do well in one job going on to fail spectacularly in their next (Mowbray being a typical example). McCall and Butcher are doing well at the moment and should be able to pick up a job in England at Championship level. Even if it doesn't work out they'll get a good run at it and a good pay packet. They come to ER and fail, like our last five managers, and where does their next job come from? Where's Yogi now? Calderwood? Where is Fenlon's next post?

.Sean.
03-11-2013, 06:35 PM
Can't say i'm all that excited at the prospect of Butcher tbh.

Andy74
03-11-2013, 06:37 PM
I can't for the life of me imagine why either Butcher or McCall would be interested in the poisoned chalice at ER. The job of football manager is becoming increasingly a lottery - guys who do well in one job going on to fail spectacularly in their next (Mowbray being a typical example). McCall and Butcher are doing well at the moment and should be able to pick up a job in England at Championship level. Even if it doesn't work out they'll get a good run at it and a good pay packet. They come to ER and fail, like our last five managers, and where does their next job come from? Where's Yogi now? Calderwood? Where is Fenlon's next post?

Yogi and Calderwood both landed jobs in England.

Anyway, unless they have offers there now Hibs are a bigger club with better work environment than their current jobs. Their teams may be doing a bit better than us but I doubt that would be a huge issue for either.

down-the-slope
03-11-2013, 06:37 PM
one thing is for sure TB won't be in the home dug out come 3pm Sat.....

I just hope he is not in the away one either :greengrin

truehibernian
03-11-2013, 06:40 PM

Might be good for Callum if it's TB :wink: might try CB as a left sided midfielder where he should be :agree:

inglisavhibs
03-11-2013, 06:41 PM

I was at that game. I thought the crowd was 17000 but my memory might be a bit dodgy. I do remember we wore white socks that day which was unusual.

Iggy Pope
03-11-2013, 06:44 PM
I was at that game. I thought the crowd was 17000 but my memory might be a bit dodgy. I do remember we wore white socks that day which was unusual.

<<<<<< This one.

An early game for me and unforgettable.
Don't know the crowd but I got a right bang on my heid when Joe scored.

inglisavhibs
03-11-2013, 06:47 PM
So Butcher has Caley in top six for a decent length of time while we struggle along with no real hope on resources 4 times that of them. Based on that I would have thought he would be a more than decent appointment.

telfordhibby
03-11-2013, 07:34 PM
<<<<<< This one.

I ran on the pitch when Baker scored.... got kicked oot...climbed back over the wall..memories..

Jonnyboy
03-11-2013, 07:43 PM
<<<<<< This one.

Jeez was that you HH? If it's any consolation my elbow hurt for days after that :greengrin

Hibbyradge
03-11-2013, 07:44 PM
Jeez was that you HH? If it's any consolation my elbow hurt for days after that :greengrin

Bugger, I was going to claim that one! :greengrin

Jonnyboy
03-11-2013, 08:11 PM
Bugger, I was going to claim that one! :greengrin

Jack Hackett
03-11-2013, 08:14 PM
Why thank you kindly - my capacity for ego inflation knows no bounds :aok:

Well you can inflate it some more 'cos I agree :agree: :greengrin

Andy74
03-11-2013, 08:14 PM
So Butcher has Caley in top six for a decent length of time while we struggle along with no real hope on resources 4 times that of them. Based on that I would have thought he would be a more than decent appointment.

Depends. A few people have said recently that style of football is more important than league position. Butcher takes a pretty physical and pragmatic approach.

IberianHibernian
03-11-2013, 08:26 PM
So Butcher has Caley in top six for a decent length of time while we struggle along with no real hope on resources 4 times that of them. Based on that I would have thought he would be a more than decent appointment.Is this true ? Only 2 seasons ago in our worst league season for more than a decade we won twice at Inverness in SPL ( lost 3rd game with reserve team the week before the cup final ) and did ICT not finish 10th just one place above us ? Last year they did well but faded at the end and they have lost several cup semis too . So a good record at ICT after a mixed record at previous clubs but nothing more . Would be disappointed if Petrie only considers Butcher when there are hundreds of other alternatives , many of whom won`t need compensation to be paid .

Smiggy 7-0
03-11-2013, 08:52 PM

Happy days, Baker's return was the first game my old man took me to. When I asked why is Baker wearing white boots, my dad says 'cos he's brilliant, and he was. Still had it even at that age, always liked his side-chops. LEGEND

HibsNibs
03-11-2013, 09:04 PM
I live in Inverness I work in a pub part-time Maurice Malpas comes in almost every weekend for a meal with his wife, believe me they're coming ;-)

Gotta be the Castle Tavern or maybe Clachnaharry Inn

Smiggy 7-0
03-11-2013, 09:06 PM
Gotta be the Castle Tavern or maybe Clachnaharry Inn Snowgoose ??

Northern Hibby
03-11-2013, 10:10 PM
Gotta be the Castle Tavern or maybe Clachnaharry Inn

Haha both former Clachnaharry now Castle Tavern.

Northern Hibby
03-11-2013, 10:13 PM
Snowgoose ??

Came up here to manage the coachhouse which is now the Snowgoose

Centre Hawf
04-11-2013, 12:59 AM
Butcher has been sacked pretty much every where he's went or forced out the door except Motherwell and ICT and even then he managed to get Cally relegated. I'm of the opinion that ICT are having a real purple patch at the moment and not convinced on Butcher as a whole. Take away McKay from that team and they'd struggle just like we are with out Leigh.

IWasThere2016
04-11-2013, 05:44 AM
Depends. A few people have said recently that style of football is more important than league position. Butcher takes a pretty physical and pragmatic approach.

Yet you supported Fenlon's approach - how did they differ exactly? ICT do it with more goals and some pace??? :dunno:

Beefster
04-11-2013, 05:48 AM
Butcher has been sacked pretty much every where he's went or forced out the door except Motherwell and ICT and even then he managed to get Cally relegated. I'm of the opinion that ICT are having a real purple patch at the moment and not convinced on Butcher as a whole. Take away McKay from that team and they'd struggle just like we are with out Leigh.

I presume you think that McLeish was responsible for our relegation?

HH81
04-11-2013, 05:49 AM

Are you been serious?

IanM
04-11-2013, 05:59 AM

Lets bring mckay in, in January.. Problem solved

Dashing Bob S
04-11-2013, 06:21 AM
Butcher seems a decent guy, but I think he's found a niche in Inverness, with low expectation, agricultural, caber-tossing football. His record is pretty abysmal, a litany of sackings with the odd relegation chucked in, loads of mid-table mediocrity and a couple of recent top six finishes.

All he shows is how far our expectations have fallen.

Saturdays Hero
04-11-2013, 06:22 AM

On that basis you reckon Inverness are just lucky then ?? They're doing well and it's all done to luck !!

Torto7062
04-11-2013, 06:23 AM
Being reported thats the
choices for Butcher

gorgie greens
04-11-2013, 06:36 AM
people need to think about what they are wanting, i enjoyed watching moggas team football,but i hated the 4-0 humping at hampden of the yams,i want to see a winning team and think you need a manager with abit os savvy and its a case of if your playing Celtic you dont go out and try and play football against them and felt that Fenlons tac tics were bang on that day,id like a team that plays with width and pace and as much as i feel Collins has been rotten since he signed i feel we have not played a system that would benefit him either, i dont want Peter Grant,i would be happy with Butcher but im not sure if he came how much patience the fans would give him (ex hun)and you still would not please the people who want it played the Hibs way,im 47 now and have not saw many teams in my years who have played it the Hibs way.

Salisbury Hibby
04-11-2013, 06:44 AM

Maybe a sign that he is improving? It can be argued he's taken ICT as far as he possibly can. Realistically, they will never maintain the level they have gotten to. Now take a bigger club like Hibs who are under performing at the moment. What do you think Butcher's ambition would be aiming for?

Hermit Crab
04-11-2013, 06:49 AM

Just signed a new deal did he not?

Since90+2
04-11-2013, 07:09 AM

Petrie said at the AGM that we enquired about him during the summer and the fee ICT wanted was way above what we could pay.

Given his continued form this year I woudnt imagine their asking price has changed.

NatureBoy
04-11-2013, 07:15 AM
Personally I think Butcher would be a great choice and it shows a fair bit of ambition if we manage to lure him away from ICT, where others have failed.

Sure he's had a few blips in his managerial career but could possibly put that down to a learning curve. He's been a massive success in Scotland and has shown he knows the SPL inside out.

Find it strange folk blaming TB for ICT getting relegated, they seem to be glossing over the facts. I'm fairly sure when he came in they were as good as down. TB almost pulled off the great escape act in keeping them up.

Unfortunately any manager coming in does not guarantee success but with TB we'd be getting a passionate guy who gives his all and seems to genuinely care. Not to mention the fact he's had a club hugely out performing us for two years with a fraction of the budget.

stokesmessiah
04-11-2013, 07:16 AM
Petrie said at the AGM that we enquired about him during the summer and the fee ICT wanted was way above what we could pay.

Given his continued form this year I woudnt imagine their asking price has changed.

Sure he signed a 1yr extension which expires next summer.

MKHIBEE
04-11-2013, 07:40 AM
Typical Typical BBC slant on all things Hibs. Pet Fenlon stood down after fans chanted for him to go on Wed dontcha know.. It may actually be factually correct but what a slant. FFS whatever next.:rolleyes:

That was my thought when I read the piece, a load of kids (from what I seen on TV) get rid of Fenlon. Pathetic right enugh

Ray_
04-11-2013, 08:26 AM

Re: the white socks, I done a search and found this. http://www.friendsreunited.co.uk/soccer-scottish-division-one-hibernian-v-aberdeen-easter-road/Memory/ee0f0571-9cf3-4da3-94be-a00b0166020e

I remember the ground to be rocking that day, had to rush because I've got to leave for work, couldn't find any hibs sites regarding the attendance, but found this below, great info, shame they never had one on Hibs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1970%E2%80%9371_Aberdeen_F.C._season

GraniteCityHibs
04-11-2013, 08:59 AM
Anyone else notice from the highlights last night that Butcher was playing his left back Shinnie at right back on Saturday.

Perfect candidate to replace Pat.

(He scored what proved to be the winner!)

Stevie Reid
04-11-2013, 09:03 AM
Personally I think Butcher would be a great choice and it shows a fair bit of ambition if we manage to lure him away from ICT, where others have failed.

Sure he's had a few blips in his managerial career but could possibly put that down to a learning curve. He's been a massive success in Scotland and has shown he knows the SPL inside out.

Find it strange folk blaming TB for ICT getting relegated, they seem to be glossing over the facts. I'm fairly sure when he came in they were as good as down. TB almost pulled off the great escape act in keeping them up.

Unfortunately any manager coming in does not guarantee success but with TB we'd be getting a passionate guy who gives his all and seems to genuinely care. Not to mention the fact he's had a club hugely out performing us for two years with a fraction of the budget.

It wouldn't have been the great escape. He came in after Caley had lost 7 games in a row and were two points adrift at the bottom of the table, there were 15 games to go - they were relegated on goal difference on the last day of the season after losing at home to Yogi's Falkirk. They had 37 points though, which is the highest ever total for a relegated team.

Craig_in_Prague
04-11-2013, 09:46 AM
Will be very surprised if its not TB.

With ICT this w/e, which dugout will he be in! (or maybe in the stands only).

jacomo
04-11-2013, 09:51 AM
TB ticks all the boxes for me.

1. Proven managerial record at our level.
2. Ambitious but seems settled in Scotland.
3. Good at building a squad on a budget.
4. Has done it as a player.
5. Good media profile.

If anyone mentions Maradona or his time with the Huns I will scream. Time to move on.

Smiggy 7-0
04-11-2013, 09:52 AM
Up there visiting relatives on Friday night- HUNTER's CHICKEN washed down with a few pints - magic

down-the-slope
04-11-2013, 09:56 AM
Why is it a cert, it's not the first time i've lost money on an odds on. Rod saying we will not hurry to make an appointment.

:agree: saving a salary right now...

:devil:

The Sea-gull
04-11-2013, 10:08 AM
Sounds like, barring any last minute changes of heart by the Hibs board, Butcher will be offered the job.

Stumbling blocks could be compo paid to Caley Thistle and Butcher not agreeing terms.

Seems he is the man the Board want and at least they are making moves to get him.

I hate coming to this conclusion on the basis of Chick Young but it has alos been reported elsewhere in the media and I don't think they would go with it just on Chicko's say so. No smoke without fire.

At least it would be proof the board are going for the right type of candidate. Someone with a proven track record in our league and not some nice wee man who has done well in the League of Ireland.

Hibbyradge
04-11-2013, 10:11 AM
Sounds like, barring any last minute changes of heart by the Hibs board, Butcher will be offered the job.

Stumbling blocks could be compo paid to Caley Thistle and Butcher not agreeing terms.

Seems he is the man the Board want and at least they are making moves to get him.

I hate coming to this conclusion on the basis of Chick Young but it has alos been reported elsewhere in the media and I don't think they would go with it just on Chicko's say so. No smoke without fire.

At least it would be proof the board are going for the right type of candidate. Someone with a proven track record in our league and not some nice wee man who has done well in the League of Ireland.

Has Deek signed for Rangers yet?

The Sea-gull
04-11-2013, 10:14 AM

Brora Rangers? He was linked with them a few months back but dismissed the speculation. :wink:

heretoday
04-11-2013, 10:20 AM
I've always been led to believe that Butcher has carved out a nice life for himself up north with property, business, wine etc interests plus of course Caley Thistle whose fans are not as demanding of success as some elsewhere. Is he in reality itching to get caught up in the emotional turmoil of Edinburgh football? Only time will tell....

Dashing Bob S
04-11-2013, 10:28 AM
TB ticks all the boxes for me.

1. Proven managerial record at our level.
2. Ambitious but seems settled in Scotland.
3. Good at building a squad on a budget.
4. Has done it as a player.
5. Good media profile.

If anyone mentions Maradona or his time with the Huns I will scream. Time to move on.

I can't agree:

1. Proven managerial record at our level - ? Won no trophies, never taken a team into Europe. Has been sacked a few times, relegated clubs.
2. Ambitious but seems settled in Scotland - bit of a contradiction. Failed in England (and Scotland) settled in Inverness.
3. Good at building a squad on a budget - agreed
4. Has done it as a player - no relevance, Mourinho, Wenger, Ferguson etc etc
5. Good media profile. - a slick talking mediocrity isn't what we need.

Will support him 100% if he's appointed, but I hope he ain't.

The Sea-gull
04-11-2013, 10:30 AM
I've always been led to believe that Butcher has carved out a nice life for himself up north with property, business, wine etc interests plus of course Caley Thistle whose fans are not as demanding of success as some elsewhere. Is he in reality itching to get caught up in the emotional turmoil of Edinburgh football? Only time will tell....

I have heard all this too and it has often made me wonder about whether Butcher would come to us.

One or two pundits hinted on the radio over the weekend that he was still ambitious and did find the thought of the Hibs job attractive as he could still retain his links to the Highlands. This is why he wasn't so keen on a couple of the Championship jobs he has had the chance of in the last year or so.

Wee Chick did say he would jump at the chance to go to Ipswich. He may hold out for that? Don't think Mick McCarthey's jacket is no the most stable peg just now?

GloryGlory
04-11-2013, 10:30 AM

Cannibalistic feeding fenzy, fed by the fact that Hibs rarely if ever give anything away prior to the conclusion of contracts.

erin go bragh
04-11-2013, 11:54 AM

Heard he is training with Dunfermline .

Ggtth

GloryGlory
04-11-2013, 11:58 AM
I have heard all this too and it has often made me wonder about whether Butcher would come to us.

One or two pundits hinted on the radio over the weekend that he was still ambitious and did find the thought of the Hibs job attractive as he could still retain his links to the Highlands. This is why he wasn't so keen on a couple of the Championship jobs he has had the chance of in the last year or so.

Wee Chick did say he would jump at the chance to go to Ipswich. He may hold out for that? Don't think Mick McCarthey's jacket is no the most stable peg just now?

I don't know if I'm putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5, but I am beginning to wonder if RP has already spoken to TB about the Hibs job, but in the expectation that he would come to ER at the end of the season, when PF's contract expires and, fortuitously, TB's ICT contract expires, too.

Mebbes aye, mebbes naw?

Leishy1995
04-11-2013, 12:11 PM
@TheNeash: Any closer to a full time appointment? Hearing things about Terry Butcher... certainly doesn't thrill me with excitement #borolive #UTB

Middlesbrough fan on twitter

Hedlund12
04-11-2013, 12:12 PM
I don't know if I'm putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5, but I am beginning to wonder if RP has already spoken to TB about the Hibs job, but in the expectation that he would come to ER at the end of the season, when PF's contract expires and, fortuitously, TB's ICT contract expires, too.

Mebbes aye, mebbes naw?

I agree with you here that RP has already been in talks with someone about the Hibs job (I'd chose TB over KS any day!!)

I also heard that Pat offered his resignation after the Aberdeen game but the board asked him to think about it?

Has anyone else also heard this? It kind off ties in whith Pats interview that he'd been thinking about resigning since the Aberdeen game.

The Sea-gull
04-11-2013, 12:13 PM

Mebbes aye, mebbes naw?

Possibly yes. Who knows?

One of the journos on the radio was saying that the Hibs board have previously gone back to people they have approached before. Eg Fenlon was spoken to when CC got it. Butcher was sounded out before PF got it.

It wouldn't surpise me if Hibs (not just Hibs I'm sure other clubs do this and it'll happen in business all the time) speak via thrid parties or something and sound out potential candidates if a senior post is about to become available through the non-renewal of a contract, potential sacking or retiral etc.

They could have been in dialogue with Butcher and others on and off for quite sometime now.

offshorehibby
04-11-2013, 12:21 PM
Possibly yes. Who knows?

One of the journos on the radio was saying that the Hibs board have previously gone back to people they have approached before. Eg Fenlon was spoken to when CC got it. Butcher was sounded out before PF got it.

It wouldn't surpise me if Hibs (not just Hibs I'm sure other clubs do this and it'll happen in business all the time) speak via thrid parties or something and sound out potential candidates if a senior post is about to become available through the non-renewal of a contract, potential sacking or retiral etc.

They could have been in dialogue with Butcher and others on and off for quite sometime now.

In theory wouldn't they have to go through the club chairman before speaking to him.

RickyS
04-11-2013, 12:27 PM
In theory wouldn't they have to go through the club chairman before speaking to him.

probably some secret sounding out goes on, ie an agent contacts butcher's agent, to ask the question "what if", then if they get any encouragement they then approach the club

reidy
04-11-2013, 12:31 PM
@TheNeash: Any closer to a full time appointment? Hearing things about Terry Butcher... certainly doesn't thrill me with excitement #borolive #UTB

Middlesbrough fan on twitter
Mark Venus now bookies favorite to get the job

jdships
04-11-2013, 12:36 PM
probably some secret sounding out goes on, ie an agent contacts butcher's agent, to ask the question "what if", then if they get any encouragement they then approach the club

That take I can go along with 100 % !!
A family friend " took up" a managerial job with a Scottish 2nd Div club last season and the first discussions were with his agent whom he had worked with as a player .
It was only after two agent/club get togethers that he was spoken with

Golden Bear
04-11-2013, 12:36 PM
:agree: saving a salary right now...

:devil:

Don't you know that the bold 'Tache has already negotiated for ER to host the Ramsdens Cup Final as well as the 2 semi final League Cup ties. The extra income will no doubt help to swell the remuneration package for the incoming Manager.

(rubbing your hands smiley required)

RickyS
04-11-2013, 12:41 PM
That take I can go along with 100 % !!
A family friend " took up" a managerial job with a Scottish 2nd Div club last season and the first discussions were with his agent whom he had worked with as a player .
It was only after two agent/club get togethers that he was spoken with

we are defo a "do things the right way" club but maybe we would get OTJ to drop a text or maybe via chris hogg?

offshorehibby
04-11-2013, 12:53 PM
Mark Venus now bookies favorite to get the job

Not in any of the books i'm looking at.

Hibbyradge
04-11-2013, 12:53 PM
Butcher going out in the betting and it looks like there's been money for Shiels!

Butcher is now 2/7 with Sky and Paddy Power. He was 1/5.

Shiels has moved significantly in to 5/2.

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/hibernian/next-permanent-manager

Hibbyradge
04-11-2013, 12:55 PM
Not in any of the books i'm looking at.

He means favourite for the Boro job.

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/middlesbrough/next-permanent-manager

GreenCastle
04-11-2013, 01:05 PM
If TB does come in - will he bring the main coach - Maurice Malpas ?

I would be worried if he came on his own - Malpas needs to come with him also as Butcher does the managing side while Malpas coaches and is the calmer side.

Butcher is married -is he family settled up North? Things like this come into play when relocating obviously for a job.

Where would this leave Jimmy Nicholl?

Also with ICT in the semi finals of the league cup V the yams would he not want to stay and see how that goes - that game is in March though!

londonhibby
04-11-2013, 01:23 PM
This is the ICT fans' nightmare, from their forum: "Ah right, seems feasible why they are making an approach. If they get Butcher, Malpas, Marsella and Foran (pre contract) that would be a nice little earner for them - Horrifying for us at the same time."

http://caleythistleonline.com/topic/27522-butcher-offski/page-3

And it would be a dream steal for us, especially Marsella, who goes around finding them those cheap little gems from England etc.

PatHead
04-11-2013, 01:27 PM
Someone mentioned earlier that Butcher's family are grown up and it is only him and his wife at home. (Got a feeling it was John Robertson on the radio). Sure he would only come if Malpas came with him. Don't know where that leaves Jimmy Nicoll. Would you turn down a big promotion because of something happening in March when you would believe you could take your new club to the same position in a "bigger" cup the following month?
If TB does come in - will he bring the main coach - Maurice Malpas ?

I would be worried if he came on his own - Malpas needs to come with him also as Butcher does the managing side while Malpas coaches and is the calmer side.

Butcher is married -is he family settled up North? Things like this come into play when relocating obviously for a job.

Where would this leave Jimmy Nicholl?

Also with ICT in the semi finals of the league cup V the yams would he not want to stay and see how that goes - that game is in March though!

givescotlandfreedom
04-11-2013, 01:32 PM

Quality scran there :thumbsup:

allezsauzee
04-11-2013, 01:45 PM
Terry Butcher isn't coming to Hibs. If he leaves Caley it will be either for the right job in England or possibly Sevco.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
04-11-2013, 01:49 PM
This is the ICT fans' nightmare, from their forum: "Ah right, seems feasible why they are making an approach. If they get Butcher, Malpas, Marsella and Foran (pre contract) that would be a nice little earner for them - Horrifying for us at the same time."

http://caleythistleonline.com/topic/27522-butcher-offski/page-3

And it would be a dream steal for us, especially Marsella, who goes around finding them those cheap little gems from England etc.

Who's Marsella?

Hibbyradge
04-11-2013, 01:49 PM
Terry Butcher isn't coming to Hibs. If he leaves Caley it will be either for the right job in England or possibly Sevco.

Is that an an opinion or do you know something?

stoneyburn hibs
04-11-2013, 02:06 PM
BBC news just said he had agreed terms with Hibs, hopefully I haven't misheard.

TheFamous1875
04-11-2013, 02:07 PM

Link?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

greenlex
04-11-2013, 02:08 PM
Link?

Just heard it too.

Treadstone
04-11-2013, 02:09 PM

Heard it too, also said its news to ICT.

steviek
04-11-2013, 02:15 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24809195

carnoustiehibee
04-11-2013, 02:17 PM
@RichardGordon48: Soooo many doubters yesterday, but looking like Chick was right about Terry Butcher for Hibs. Radio Scotland reporting personal terms agreed

Matty_Jack04
04-11-2013, 02:19 PM

Hibs have agreed personel terms....no contact has been made by the Edinburgh club...what basis does this lass have publishing an article then? Could this be a pre contract arrangement? Meaning we don't have to speak to caley directly and TB finishes the season up there?

Ritchie
04-11-2013, 02:19 PM
Delighted!! Great news! :flag:

SteveHFC
04-11-2013, 02:20 PM
YASSSSSSSSSSSSS:thumbsup:

Admin Edit - GIF removed.

Sorry Steve, there are 400 people viewing this thread at the moment and a lot of them will be on a slow-ish connection.

Pretty Boy
04-11-2013, 02:21 PM
Be happy enough with this.

Is agreeing terms before contacting the club not tapping up though? Wouldn't be like Hibs to be anything other than professional.

blackpoolhibs
04-11-2013, 02:22 PM
http://www.scottishdailyexpress.co.uk/sport/football/440955/Rod-Petrie-defends-choice-of-Hibs-managers

HIBS chairman Rod Petrie last night staunchly defended his record of managerial appointments.

blaikie
04-11-2013, 02:24 PM

Is agreeing terms before contacting the club not tapping up though? Wouldn't be like Hibs to be anything other than professional.

If its legal why not!

7Hero
04-11-2013, 02:25 PM
That BBC article is hardly conclusive

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

weonlywon6-2

Thats what i was thinking and it is safe to say it is not the hibs way???

seanshow
all this bullsht above, he,ll never leave the highlands, only go to sevco, ipswich, blah blah. lol

Treadstone
04-11-2013, 02:27 PM
That BBC article is hardly conclusive

Reporter says the board met yesterday. Is this correct ?

7-Heaven
Thats what i was thinking and it is safe to say it is not the hibs way???

Well the Hibs way aint been getting us anywhere lately has it :wink:

Mikey
http://www.scottishdailyexpress.co.uk/sport/football/440955/Rod-Petrie-defends-choice-of-Hibs-managers

HIBS chairman Rod Petrie last night staunchly defended his record of managerial appointments.

Doesn't matter what he says. If he said that he had nothing to do with it and it was someone else who got it wrong he'd get pelters for that too.

I suspect he's very much involved this time, regardless of what's been done in the past when it comes to appointing managers.

Stevie Reid
Happy enough with this - every appointment is a risk and there are no guarantees, but needless to say if he brings all the positive qualities to Hibs that he has to ICT, then we will be doing very well indeed.

His overall record is far from impressive but his recent record suggests that he is a manager that is improving. Obviously has good contacts, and his propensity to find pacey and direct creative players should go down well with many.

Mikey
04-11-2013, 02:28 PM
Reporter says we had a board meeting yesterday. Is this correct ?

Pretty sure it was mentioned on the PM board thread.

Alex Trager
04-11-2013, 02:28 PM
obviously not conclusive yet, but it is my favourite thing to do to refresh this page and see this post at the top then go to the bottom and see that it looks as though he IS coming

goosefat
04-11-2013, 02:29 PM
It sound like Hibs might have contracted TB...

:sick:

Beefster
04-11-2013, 02:31 PM
That Rodders is a wily old fox. Says yesterday that we will be taking our time and won't be rushed into anything. Agrees personal terms with Butcher today.

I'm partial to the odd criticism of Rodders but I bet he'd be a mean poker player.

Part/Time Supporter

Could be, depends on what is in Butcher's contract with ICT, which is due to expire next summer.

green glory
Can't be a pre contract as they wouldn't have announced it just before we play ICT.

Compo paid methinks.

Still assuming Chick Dung is right.

S4uzee
04-11-2013, 02:32 PM
YASSSSSSSSSSSSS:thumbsup:

Admin Edit - GIF removed.

Sorry Steve, there are 400 people viewing this thread at the moment and a lot of them will be on a slow-ish connection.

Booooo

The Sea-gull
Not quite sure how we can agree terms with him without contacting ICT if he is under contract with them even if it is only until season's end?

Unless he has a clause that says he can talk to a team during the last year of his deal.

If we haven't contacted ICT, I'm a wee bit disappointed as would have thought Rodders or someone would have had the courtesy to do it!

Still, good to hear it sounds like we could have our man.

Has come about really quick if the report is true so would have thought talks must have been taking place before now with them intensifying yesterday afternoon and into today.

Possibly met with him somewhere after the Motherwell game yesterday, out of the glare of the prying media.

JollyGreenGiant
Great news if true!

Unfortunately, it looks like we will never all agree on the same person, but I think he is exactly what we need right now.

weonlywon6-2

Turmoil of Edinburgh football,suppose being England captain in a world cup semi final and captain of Rangers during many old firm games isnt regarded as high as turmoil in Edinburgh!!!

Matty_Jack04
Can't be a pre contract as they wouldn't have announced it just before we play ICT.

Compo paid methinks.

Still assuming Chick Dung is right.

Hibs haven't announced a thing

Mikey
04-11-2013, 02:33 PM
Could be, depends on what is in Butcher's contract with ICT, which is due to expire next summer.

Assuming the story is true, I wonder if he would stay at ICT if they match what's on offer. Interesting couple of days coming up..............

green glory
04-11-2013, 02:34 PM
Hibs haven't announced a thing

Usually the last people to announce anything about Hibs are Hibs.

Alex Trager
04-11-2013, 02:34 PM
would be great if he was in tonight and got the players trained up in how to beat inverness

Mikey
04-11-2013, 02:35 PM
Usually the last people to announce anything about Hibs are Hibs.

They don't announce anything until the ink is dry......

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?273627-Icelandic-Manger

weonlywon6-2
04-11-2013, 02:36 PM
Assuming the story is true, I wonder if he would stay at ICT if they match what's on offer. Interesting couple of days coming up..............

Interesting indeed,somehow dont think Butcher would have said yes so quickly if he would go back on his decison,only time will tell

LancsHibs
04-11-2013, 02:37 PM

You were saying:greengrin
Great news, well done Hibs for getting this sorted promptly. Welcome Terry, please sort us out:thumbsup:

Brightside
04-11-2013, 02:38 PM
Happy with that. He plays football at a decent pace and will bring in that will to win. #TERRY BUTCHERS GREEN N WHITE ARMY#

Hibbyradge
04-11-2013, 02:38 PM
You can still get 2/7!

Matty_Jack04
04-11-2013, 02:40 PM

I'm thinking this myself, wide open for a red face here courtesy of our pals at the BBC

green glory
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24809195?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Beefster
You can still get 2/7!

I can't risk it. The money I lost on Steve Clarke still gives me nightmares.

GreenCastle
04-11-2013, 02:41 PM
Tapping of a manager it sounds like ?

Do any rules apply to this like player tapping?

Hopefully it's true - I think he will improve us and will take no BS.

The yams also don't want us to get him - so it will upset them.

The timing is strange with ICT this weekend..surely won't be in charge for Saturday.

2 final points - we will never all agree who we want - every manager has pros and cons plus I still am wary of RP and the board but hopefully someone with a strong personality will steady the ship and bring LEADERSHIP to this club.

Since90+2
04-11-2013, 02:43 PM
Got to say im pretty happy with this if its true.

Managers, like some players , develop and mature with experience and Butcher is probably the best manager in the SPL at this current time.

Mikey
04-11-2013, 02:43 PM
I'm thinking this myself, wide open for a red face here courtesy of our pals at the BBC

No-one at Hibs would supply info to the BBC and they've obviously got a contact somewhere.

So who would know on the other side? Butcher. His agent. Erm.............

Treadstone
04-11-2013, 02:44 PM
No-one at Hibs would supply info to the BBC and they've obviously got a contact somewhere.

So who would know on the other side? Butcher. His agent. Erm.............

Heather Dewar who wrote the BBC story is their person in the highlands. Looks as though this has possibly came from Butchers side.

Oscar T Grouch
04-11-2013, 02:45 PM
On the scotsman FB page now

scotsman.com
Hibs have appointed Terry Butcher as their new manager - reports. More on Scotsman.com
Like · · Share · 3 · 6 minutes ago ·

But not actually on their web page:confused:

weonlywon6-2
04-11-2013, 02:46 PM

Turmoil of Edinburgh football,suppose being England captain in a world cup semi final and captain of Rangers during many old firm games isnt eegarded as high as turmoil!!!

Mikey
04-11-2013, 02:48 PM
On the scotsman FB page now

scotsman.com
Hibs have appointed Terry Butcher as their new manager - reports. More on Scotsman.com
Like · · Share · 3 · 6 minutes ago ·

But not actually on their web page:confused:

I suspect they're basing this on the assumption that it'll happen because terms have been agreed.

adhibs
04-11-2013, 02:49 PM
every chance the ICT chairmen is lying and compos already been agreed

Heisenberg
04-11-2013, 02:49 PM
I'm not getting my hopes up till it's confirmed by the club.

Mikey
04-11-2013, 02:50 PM
every chance the ICT chairmen is lying and compos already been agreed

Yep, there's that too. Hibs are always very keen to be first with the news (they've got plenty of practice :greengrin) so they're likely to have asked ICT to say nothing.

Matty_Jack04
04-11-2013, 02:51 PM
Heather Dewar who wrote the BBC story is their person in the highlands. Looks as though this has possibly came from Butchers side.

No doubt which side it's came from it's why that's causing the worry, you'd think tel would have a little more respect towards ICT to let this leak out before we've made an approach...unless as Mikey said he's using this to get more money in a new deal up there, just weird how it's working out

PapillonVert
04-11-2013, 02:53 PM

Do you think TB could hightail it down to East Mains in time for a 6pm Press Conference?

I too shall await a formal announcement from Hibs. This is just not the usual sequence of events and so wonder where the BBC is getting the info from?

Pretty Boy
04-11-2013, 02:55 PM
Do you think TB could hightail it down to East Mains in time for a 6pm Press Conference?

I too shall await a formal announcement from Hibs. This is just not the usual sequence of events and so wonder where the BBC is getting the info from?

Get the helicopter out again.

That worked out well last time!

joe breezy

Welcome to Hibs Tel (if it's true, if not we can still welcome him on Saturday :greengrin)

JimBHibees

Yep sounds very unlike Hibs if what we are hearing is correct. Would be good if it was sorted out quickly though.

Treadstone
04-11-2013, 02:56 PM

Saturday 14:30.:greengrin

GreenCastle
04-11-2013, 02:57 PM
Terry Butchers Green and White Army - this on Saturday :dunno:

Pretty Boy
04-11-2013, 02:59 PM
I'd assume if this does happen that he won't be in charge of the team on Saturday?

Golden Bear
04-11-2013, 03:00 PM
Is this a scoop for El Chico after all then?

Leithenhibby
04-11-2013, 03:01 PM

:greengrin and some......

Hibee87
04-11-2013, 03:01 PM
This is a strange sequence of events......however the story broke almost an hour ago, and igf unture I would think the hibs official twitter would have dismissed the rumours pretty quickly, as I cant get onto it at work im assuming folk have been checking and there is diddly squat on it?>

PapillonVert
04-11-2013, 03:02 PM

:boo hoo::no way:

Mikey
This is a strange sequence of events......however the story broke almost an hour ago, and igf unture I would think the hibs official twitter would have dismissed the rumours pretty quickly, as I cant get onto it at work im assuming folk have been checking and there is diddly squat on it?>

They never do that.

PeeJay
Heather Dewar just about to announce the "news" on BBC radio Scotland...Thistle fans looking for a new manager on their site, assuming Heather has got it right, that is

GreenLake
Hoping Singaporean flags will be waved rather than English. :wink:

Saorsa
04-11-2013, 03:05 PM
I can't risk it. The money I lost on Steve Clarke still gives me nightmares.:agree: I had 90 quid on him :boo hoo:

Mikeystewart
04-11-2013, 03:06 PM

DCI Gene Hunt
Just been reported on Moray Firth Radio that he's on the verge of being announced as new Hibs manager

PeeJay
Heather D. has just said they will be "live at Easter Road about 25 past ..."

Golden Bear
04-11-2013, 03:07 PM
Hoping Singaporean flags will be waved rather than English. :wink:

Aye - I think I know a certain Hibs fan who'll not be happy - and he'll not sell many T shirts either.

Saturdays Hero
04-11-2013, 03:08 PM
Not quite sure how we can agree terms with him without contacting ICT if he is under contract with them even if it is only until season's end?

Unless he has a clause that says he can talk to a team during the last year of his deal.

If we haven't contacted ICT, I'm a wee bit disappointed as would have thought Rodders or someone would have had the courtesy to do it!

Still, good to hear it sounds like we could have our man.

Has come about really quick if the report is true so would have thought talks must have been taking place before now with them intensifying yesterday afternoon and into today.

Possibly met with him somewhere after the Motherwell game yesterday, out of the glare of the prying media.

Ahhh disappointed because your assumption is Rodders hadn't contacted Inverness.....aye your a hotbed of information ?? Possibly met him somewhere after the Motherwell game.

Eternal Hibbie
04-11-2013, 03:09 PM
Well done the Hibs if various reports are confirmed, and welcome big Tel.

Definite show of ambition.

Eternal Hibbie
04-11-2013, 03:11 PM
Just noticed on Mikey's post - he had his Hibs headband on even then. :)

GreenCastle
04-11-2013, 03:12 PM

Yes :greengrin:thumbsup:

MrSmith
04-11-2013, 03:12 PM
Can hear it now;

Tel on joining Hibs "Delighted to be the new manager ! Couldn't say no to joining a club of Hibs stature. Being the second biggest club in Scotland, was to much of a pull!"

:)

Stevie Reid
04-11-2013, 03:13 PM
http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/latest/hibs-agree-terms-with-terry-butcher-1-3173014

frazeHFC
04-11-2013, 03:13 PM
Hibs: Caley Thistle manager Terry Butcher agrees terms (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24809195)
Delighted with it. :thumbsup: Get it up ye Kenny Shiels. Strange one for him playing Inverness at the weekend first game.

Allant1981
04-11-2013, 03:14 PM
Grant stott saying its true also on twitter

Www1875hfc
04-11-2013, 03:15 PM

Benny Brazil
04-11-2013, 03:16 PM
Not overly impressed if this is true. But he will get my full support.

Andy74
04-11-2013, 03:17 PM
It will be interesting to see how the style debate goes from here.

Phil D. Rolls
04-11-2013, 03:17 PM
Which bit of "Inverness have not been contacted" am I failing to understand?

The Sea-gull
04-11-2013, 03:18 PM
Ahhh disappointed because your assumption is Rodders hadn't contacted Inverness.....aye your a hotbed of information ?? Possibly met him somewhere after the Motherwell game.

Your assumption is that I have assumed that Rodders hasn't contacted ICT. I haven't assumed that Hibs haven't contacted ICT, just said that IF they hadn't it was abit poor on from a courtesy poit of view. IF being the key word.

Anyway even, if I had assumed that Rod hadn't contacted them it wouldn't be the worst assumption given there was a quote from ICT saying they hadn't had contact.

To assume is to make an ass out of you and me.

Pretty Boy
04-11-2013, 03:18 PM
Just read an ICT fan say he can't believe Butcher would leave them for us.

Now i find all the 'big team' chat from Hearts fans as cringeworthy as anyone but surely the guy can't be serious. We have a fanbase that's far bigger than ICT can even dream of and the Hibs job always has been and always will be a bigger and better job than the Inverness job.

Zondervan
04-11-2013, 03:19 PM
Maybe not then!!

@InvCourier: Terry Butcher tells the Courier he has had NO contact with Hibs and has NOT agreed terms. No deal yet then...

Vault Boy
04-11-2013, 03:19 PM
A lot of fans were calling for Terry whilst Fenlon was still manager, so if this comes of I'm sure there will be more happy Hibees than underwhelmed ones! I'd personally be very excited if this appointment comes off, he obviously has a number of good contacts in the game and there are some excellent Caley players that I believe will be available on pre-contracts in January that we could get our hands on!

joe breezy
04-11-2013, 03:21 PM
Maybe not then!!

@InvCourier: Terry Butcher tells the Courier he has had NO contact with Hibs and has NOT agreed terms. No deal yet then...

Damn, I just changed my profile pic on Facebook

LancashireHibby
04-11-2013, 03:22 PM
Wouldn't we ordinarily have to approach Inverness before discussing terms? Or is he out of contract?

Can't argue with his recent track record, I'd be very pleased with him. Would think both parties will want it sorting by Saturday, though it could come in handy for him to be in the ICT dugout and then join Hibs on the Sunday. Anyone who cheated on Championship Manager in years gone by will know what I mean! :greengrin

GreenCastle
04-11-2013, 03:22 PM
Maybe not then!!

He will be at ER on Saturday....but which dug out :paranoid:

blackpoolhibs
04-11-2013, 03:23 PM

Well if he gets the job, the debate will happen once we see how he sets the team up, who he brings in and how they play.

If after 2 years my eyes are bleeding watching his pish, then he will rightly be given stick like the last incumbent.

At The Edge
04-11-2013, 03:23 PM

Is he a tracksuit, suit or short shorts ala McColl type manager, guessing Dashing Bob maybe the one to ask on Tel's style:wink:

Wilson
04-11-2013, 03:25 PM
Wouldn't we ordinarily have to approach Inverness before discussing terms? Or is he out of contract?

Can't argue with his recent track record, I'd be very pleased with him. Would think both parties will want it sorting by Saturday, though it could come in handy for him to be in the ICT dugout and then join Hibs on the Sunday. Anyone who cheated on Championship Manager in years gone by will know what I mean! :greengrin

Perhaps works the same way it does for players - he is out of contract at the end of the season so is free to talk to anyone?

Might be bad form approaching Tel before asking Inverness. However, if we asked for permission prior to agreeing terms I think I know what their answer would have been!

E10 Rifle
Damn, I just changed my profile pic on Facebook

That is a real journalistic gaff if not true then - she must have her solid sources or I'm sure BBC would not have allowed her to publish it openly

Treadstone

zzzzzzz

PeeJay
04-11-2013, 03:27 PM

"For me, an attacking, on the deck football type manager for me. No more of this long ball garbage please!" so sayeth an irate Thistle fan in response to the news that Butcher is leaving them for us ... :greengrin

Monts
Could this all be an unsettling tactic from the ict end? Seems very strange timing considering petries statement yesterday. Could thistle just be trying to take advantage of the situation?

Heisenberg
BBC still running with the personal terms agreed story, on the radio just now.

Golden Bear
04-11-2013, 03:29 PM
No deal as yet. The Clubs have still to meet so the news is premature at this stage. Hopefully everything doesn't fall through.

TheFamous1875
04-11-2013, 03:30 PM
According to BBC radio live form Easter Road, no contact has been made officially, but behind doors terms have been agreed...

GreenLake
04-11-2013, 03:31 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/db/Singapore_green.png

greenpaper55
Maybe he has agreed personal terms but the compo has still to be agreed with ICT ?.

Matty_Jack04
Alex Henley now saying butchers not had any contact

Phil D. Rolls
04-11-2013, 03:32 PM
According to BBC radio live form Easter Road, no contact has been made officially, but behind doors terms have been agreed...

Starting to sound more and more like BS, and possible backtracking by the BBC. I suspect Tel is playing a clever game to get the best deal for himself.

The Sea-gull
04-11-2013, 03:33 PM

I think the vast majority of us want to see a team who wins on a consistent basis first and foremost no matter what and a team who turns up in a few more big games. If we can do it in style then great but I want winners first and foremost

Under your wee pal, wee Pat we were neither winners nor stylish.

carnoustiehibee
04-11-2013, 03:34 PM
Would be funny if Roderick has sold the bbc a fat one. Chicky young thinks he's top banana on sportsound then we go hire some unknown European.

Hibbyradge
04-11-2013, 03:35 PM
Starting to sound more and more like BS, and possible backtracking by the BBC. I suspect Tel is playing a clever game to get the best deal for himself.

I can't imagine that tactic would work and I doubt Butcher would use it anyway.

Golden Bear
04-11-2013, 03:36 PM
Alex Henley now saying butchers not had any contact

who is Alex Henley?