PDA

View Full Version : Harris

Devilstorment
04-08-2013, 04:47 PM
Dont want this post to be taken the wrong way, as I think the lad may well develop into a star for us however, other than against Falkirk and Hearts last season Harris has not looked good enough to be in the first team.

Obviously he is still very young and very inexperienced so he needs to be given time to develop but Fenlon is using him as our main focus of attack and I think it runs the risk of destroying his confidence and actually setting his development back. I think I counted at least 4 or 5 chances which came to a grinding halt whilst Harris was on the ball today.

We dont have a lot of options which is probably forcing Fenlon's hand a little but I think a spell in the U19's or our East of Scotland team would do the boy good as right now he is vastly out of depth.

.... some time in the Gym and a few Protein shakes would do the boy good too! He is built like the side of a sim card.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
04-08-2013, 04:55 PM
Dont want this post to be taken the wrong way, as I think the lad may well develop into a star for us however, other than against Falkirk and Hearts last season Harris has not looked good enough to be in the first team.

Obviously he is still very young and very inexperienced so he needs to be given time to develop but Fenlon is using him as our main focus of attack and I think it runs the risk of destroying his confidence and actually setting his development back. I think I counted at least 4 or 5 chances which came to a grinding halt whilst Harris was on the ball today.

We dont have a lot of options which is probably forcing Fenlon's hand a little but I think a spell in the U19's or our East of Scotland team would do the boy good as right now he is vastly out of depth.

.... some time in the Gym and a few Protein shakes would do the boy good too! He is built like the side of a fiver.

Fixed that for you mate:wink: hope his injury ain't too bad.

neil7908
04-08-2013, 04:57 PM

.... some time in the Gym and a few Protein shakes would do the boy good too! He is built like the side of a sim card.

I think the part in bold is spot on, we've developed a nasty habit of just giving the ball to Harris in a very tight situation and expecting him to beat 2-3 players without any help. He needs a bit of support going forward and for me he's been at this best playing on the left with McGivern behind him - I think they were beginning to get a good understanding before injuries interrupted.

I disagree with him being put back into the U19s or EoS team though, we just need to get some more attacking options in the team and stop expecting a 19 year old to win games for us on his own. He's got far too much pressure on him now and I dont mean from the fans, the team are seeing him as an out ball everytime and not giving him enough options when he gets into decent positions, often leaving him up against 2 defenders.

CallumLaidlaw
04-08-2013, 04:58 PM
Totally disagree. He wasn't up to much in the first half today but I felt he was really coming into the game just as he got injured. He was a threat when he came on against Malmo in the 1st leg. At 19, he isn't going to have great games every week, but he a creative spark which we don't have anywhere else in the team so worth having him in there.

Pretty Boy
04-08-2013, 04:59 PM
I like Harris. Really like him and he has a lot of the right attributes to go a long way.

However I said on the match update thread, and stand by it, that sometimes he may well be better served by being a bit more direct when he has the ball, sometimes think he trie a bit too much and less can often be more.

Alfred E Newman
04-08-2013, 05:03 PM
Wasn't at today's game or the Malmo game ( on holiday) but to start singling out our most promising young player as a reason for our problems seems ridiculous .

lucky
04-08-2013, 05:04 PM
Harris needs time to develop and needs to be played on the left wing not the right. But today he was just getting into the game when he got injured. But Hibs can't rely on him week out week in.

Purehibee_MYB
04-08-2013, 05:07 PM
you make a few good points, especially about pressure being put on the boy, but to say he's only played well in 2 games is just wrong. He was easily one of our best players at the tail end of last season and i think he's just had a couple of poor performances recently. But as someone else said, he was coming into the game before he got injured today.

PeterboroHibee
04-08-2013, 05:09 PM
I really like Harris, but as others have hinted at, all the expectation of the creativity in the side seems to be on him. Hes only 18 and hardly played any other games, and you can tell other teams see him as a threat, as soon as he gets the ball there is usually two opposition right on him. We need to be careful he doesnt become burned out, or his confidence gets shot if he isnt able to have the impact on games he might like.

Realistically if we had more going forward there would be less pressure on Harris, and he might have more support if he does find himself in tight situations. Its ridiculous that almost every time he got the ball there was only 1 player in the box.

Wotherspiniesta
04-08-2013, 05:27 PM
Nothing much came off for him, but he never stopped trying and I thoought was coming onto a game before his injury.

He'll be a cracking player for us this season.

Hope he's fit for the Hearts game, as I can see him tearing McCrappie a new one.

NorthNorfolkHFC
04-08-2013, 05:30 PM
This is brutal.

Today was a nightmare, going forward we were woeful. Most people are in agreement that our managers tactics are not up to much.

Do all our players deserve threads slating them? Harris (at the moment) loves to take people on and try things, naturally he won't beat his man every single time. If that was the case he would be at Barcelona.

I for one, would like Harris to continue trying to take people on and won't get on my keyboard to slate the boy for having a go. He's what Hibs need right now: bit of balls and pace and if we as support can't get behind him were almost as guilty as the current manager.

Leishy1995
04-08-2013, 05:34 PM
He's going to end up like spoony if he doesn't get deployed in his better position(left wing) and get let do what he wants by management

Pretty Boy
04-08-2013, 05:41 PM
This is brutal.

Today was a nightmare, going forward we were woeful. Most people are in agreement that our managers tactics are not up to much.

Do all our players deserve threads slating them? Harris (at the moment) loves to take people on and try things, naturally he won't beat his man every single time. If that was the case he would be at Barcelona.

I for one, would like Harris to continue trying to take people on and won't get on my keyboard to slate the boy for having a go. He's what Hibs need right now: bit of balls and pace and if we as support can't get behind him were almost as guilty as the current manager.

Is anybody slating Harris on this thread?

Most of what i'm reading is either defending him or pretty constructive.

davidw
04-08-2013, 05:41 PM
I think he's a great player, hopefully with a great future. There is, however, an issue with not overplaying and ruining him. I remember being at Wotherspoon's debut, and thinking here's the next big thing. In my humble opinion (and I can't be bothered using the abbreviation), John Hughes did the very opposite of what should have been done in terms of the player's development - playing him when under pressure, playing him young, under pressure, and out of position (how many positions did he play under Hughes?). Think of how a proper Ferguson-esque manager would have dealt with an up and coming player, introducing him gradually, developing him carefully - Hughes did the opposite, and it's vital Fenlon (or his successor) doesn't ruin Harris in the same way.

Thought today was awful by the way....

Devilstorment
04-08-2013, 05:46 PM
This is brutal.

I think you have misunderstood me. I am no way intending to slate the guy. As I say I think he will be great player for us, if anything I feel he is being mismanaged

I feel your belief which seems to come down to, if we all get behind him everything will be ok and at least he is having a go, is over simplifying things.

Young players need to be nurtured not just thrown in and then suddenly made our key focus of attack. Unless he has an insurmountable level of confidence and self belief he will start to doubt his ability to get by people at a senior level which could really damage his development and stop him trying to beat people in future.

Again, I like him as a player and think he will be great for us.... IF developed correctly!

Stringer
04-08-2013, 05:48 PM
Harris needs McGivern to support him instead of long balls from KT.

I watched Stanton at a u20s match. I think long term Sam is the better option.

SquashedFrogg
04-08-2013, 05:49 PM
Wasn't at today's game or the Malmo game ( on holiday) but to start singling out our most promising young player as a reason for our problems seems ridiculous .

He gave justified reasons for his observations/comments...

I think, after being at the games, he's correct..

You can't say he's being ridiculous if you werent there I'm affraid...

TAHibby
04-08-2013, 05:51 PM
Disagree he is out of his depth, don't think that's the case at all. Don't think he needs pushed back down a level either, he's young but cleary good enough as shown in the past. As mentioned he wasn't great today but started to come in to the game a whole lot more before sadly getting injured.

ballengeich
04-08-2013, 05:53 PM
He's got great potential but today wasn't his best day. Part of it was due to the lack of support from midfield which meant that he often had no option but to try to dribble past defenders. He and Collins must both be wondering if they have personal hygiene problems - their team mates never came within 20 yards of them.

I hope the injury he suffered isn't serious.

PeeJay
04-08-2013, 06:01 PM
Think Harris is a young player with tremendous potential, but he seemed a bit lost to me today, but then again so did the whole team basically. He's one of the few in our team that excites because he can genuinely pull something out of the bag. Some of the hype surrounding him is ridiculously OTT at this early stage of his career though. A good manager and a sound coaching squad would help him progress by leaps and bounds I feel. Hope his injury is only a slight one and he is back next week...

NorthNorfolkHFC
04-08-2013, 06:06 PM
I think you have misunderstood me. I am no way intending to slate the guy. As I say I think he will be great player for us, if anything I feel he is being mismanaged

I feel your belief which seems to come down to, if we all get behind him everything will be ok and at least he is having a go, is over simplifying things.

Young players need to be nurtured not just thrown in and then suddenly made our key focus of attack. Unless he has an insurmountable level of confidence and self belief he will start to doubt his ability to get by people at a senior level which could really damage his development and stop him trying to beat people in future.

Again, I like him as a player and think he will be great for us.... IF developed correctly!

I would agree, he should be taught and nurtured.

However, I don't think Fenlon has made him our key focus of attack. By nature of our formation he is part of a 'front three' that has James Collins at the top and Liam Craig on the other side.

Fortunately or unfortunately in this case, Harris has become our only attacking threat as he is the only one in our team who has natural pace. It is because of this he can get forward and it's because if this that we see him as our only attacking threat.

I very much doubt that Fenlon's team talk contains the words 'get the ball to Harris'.

I'm possibly on the defensive as I sat in the East today listening to people shouting "f%^k off" Harris after he attempted to take players on.

SMAXXA
04-08-2013, 06:14 PM

No he doesnt Harris needs to do better than he did today and people need to stop looking for reasons not to realise that. He was terrible first half but better second slightly. Lets not pussey foot around players, I really rate Harris and think he will be a great player for us but he needs to know when he was poor and it's upto Fenlon to know when he plays.

Dashing Bob S
04-08-2013, 06:17 PM
He's a talented young prospect, but needs nurturing. Others should be stepping up and we shouldn't be seeing him as a messiah.

SMAXXA
04-08-2013, 06:22 PM
This is brutal.

No we weren't, first half we were decent going forward with KT, Robo and Craig we had nothing there when we did get forrward. Every time Harris got the ball he gave it away simple. Doesn't make him a bad player just played badly. I was quite impressed with the way we attacked with Robo and Craig yet playing the 1 up top we looked very exposed. FFS if I was James Collins I'd be thinking I'd as well being doing doggies up Easter road than today, shame for the lad.

im always supportive Pat but its growing thin

Onceinawhile
04-08-2013, 06:27 PM
I think he missed Ryan Mcgivern today. Ryan gets forward better than lewis and that means wee boozy gets more space and time on the ball. As well as that Mcgivern is a far better passer and can get him round the back of defences which is where he can cause damage.

SMAXXA
04-08-2013, 06:29 PM
I think he missed Ryan Mcgivern today. Ryan gets forward better than lewis and that means wee boozy gets more space and time on the ball. As well as that Mcgivern is a far better passer and can get him round the back of defences which is where he can cause damage.

Can we not just chalk it down to a poor performance rather than look for excuses?

truehibernian
04-08-2013, 06:31 PM
Thommo was different class today. Collins impressed too, as did Nelson.

Alex is a superb talent but if it isn't working for him we need options on the other flank which we don't have - had the whole pre season to get a winger in and we didn't. Bad prep, bad planning, poor squad building. That's the facts.

Alex was poor today, no doubt about it. But it shows up the team for what it is when AH isn't on song - very very very slow, uncreative and dull !

Tyler Durden
04-08-2013, 06:34 PM
I would agree, he should be taught and nurtured.

However, I don't think Fenlon has made him our key focus of attack. By nature of our formation he is part of a 'front three' that has James Collins at the top and Liam Craig on the other side.

Fortunately or unfortunately in this case, Harris has become our only attacking threat as he is the only one in our team who has natural pace. It is because of this he can get forward and it's because if this that we see him as our only attacking threat.

I very much doubt that Fenlon's team talk contains the words 'get the ball to Harris'.

I'm possibly on the defensive as I sat in the East today listening to people shouting "f%^k off" Harris after he attempted to take players on.

I'm starting to wonder what Fenlons team talk consists of, other than "give the ball to Harris".

NorthNorfolkHFC
04-08-2013, 06:37 PM
No we weren't, first half we were decent going forward with KT, Robo and Craig we had nothing there when we did get forrward. Every time Harris got the ball he gave it away simple. Doesn't make him a bad player just played badly. I was quite impressed with the way we attacked with Robo and Craig yet playing the 1 up top we looked very exposed. FFS if I was Jam Colin's I'd be thinking I'd as well being doing doggies up Easter road than today, shame for the lad.

im always supportive Pat but its growing thin

I think we were better today and guys like Thomson & Robertson played well, keeping possession and controlling play. They did try to get forward as much as they could. However, 3 shots on target over 90 minutes is just not acceptable at home and I don't think that's impressive at all.

Harris didn't play well today but I don't think he deserved the jeers he was getting. Collins on the other hand deserves a medal for not spitting the dummy today.

(((Fergus)))
04-08-2013, 06:43 PM
he is vastly out of depth.

What is that if not slating him?

Hibs fans have a wonderful talent for killing talent in the bud. And I say that as constructive criticism, not slating at all.

Tyler Durden
04-08-2013, 06:55 PM
I think we were better today and guys like Thomson & Robertson played well, keeping possession and controlling play. They did try to get forward as much as they could. However, 3 shots on target over 90 minutes is just not acceptable at home and I don't think that's impressive at all.

Harris didn't play well today but I don't think he deserved the jeers he was getting. Collins on the other hand deserves a medal for not spitting the dummy today.

Thomson and Robertson did not control the play.

And I don't recall Harris getting jeers. When he went off I think people were jeering at the ref?

We have however become reliant on Harris which is totally unfair on him.

NorthNorfolkHFC
04-08-2013, 07:13 PM
Thomson and Robertson did not control the play.

And I don't recall Harris getting jeers. When he went off I think people were jeering at the ref?

We have however become reliant on Harris which is totally unfair on him.

Sorry, your correct.

I didn't hear the jeers (at times when he failed to beat his man) either. I'll keep my eyes open at the next game.

Tyler Durden
04-08-2013, 07:18 PM
Would you prefer if I just said outright that you're talking pish?

We're a distance away from Hibs fans "jeering" Harris.

18/03/07
04-08-2013, 07:29 PM

Wrong with that comment bud,since under 17's Harris has been the main midfielder by far,Stanton,Horribine and Gold were also very good,Danny Handling is also a very good player at c/f not on the wing as PF plays him.don't go on just watching 1 under 20 game(which i think the 1 you may have watched EOSC match at Gorgie)

Leighonel
04-08-2013, 07:31 PM

First of all I think it is unfair to start a thread picking out Harris.

'Vastly out of his depth'

To suggest that other than those 2 games he wasn't good enough is just wrong. In the tail end of last season he and Griffiths were our only consistent attacking threats. When he was moved to the left and given supply in the final he proved his worth to the team with some very good runs. His goal against Kilmarnock in the game that was abandoned is further evidence of his footballing intelligence. These are just a couple of highlights but his touch, technique, pace and dribbling among other attributes that he shows in the majority of games highlighting that he is more than capable of competing at this level.

On to today's game. He didn't have the best game but Motherwell had 2 players on him the majority of the time and a couple of times they had 3 on him add to this the fact that he gets little support due to the tactics employed by Fenlon. He put in 2 good crosses today one was cut off just before Robertson could shoot and Liam Craig was denied by a slide tackle.

One bad game and he goes from our next star to being vastly out of his depth.

You are trying to be positive to make your post seem balanced but to me the comments like 'vastly out of his depth' and only playing well in 2 games show that maybe you just want to have a wee dig at Harris.

Devilstorment
04-08-2013, 07:51 PM
First of all I think it is unfair to start a thread picking out Harris.

'Vastly out of his depth'

To suggest that other than those 2 games he wasn't good enough is just wrong. In the tail end of last season he and Griffiths were our only consistent attacking threats. When he was moved to the left and given supply in the final he proved his worth to the team with some very good runs. His goal against Kilmarnock in the game that was abandoned is further evidence of his footballing intelligence. These are just a couple of highlights but his touch, technique, pace and dribbling among other attributes that he shows in the majority of games highlighting that he is more than capable of competing at this level.

On to today's game. He didn't have the best game but Motherwell had 2 players on him the majority of the time and a couple of times they had 3 on him add to this the fact that he gets little support due to the tactics employed by Fenlon. He put in 2 good crosses today one was cut off just before Robertson could shoot and Liam Craig was denied by a slide tackle.

One bad game and he goes from our next star to being vastly out of his depth.

You are trying to be positive to make your post seem balanced but to me the comments like 'vastly out of his depth' and only playing well in 2 games show that maybe you just want to have a wee dig at Harris.

I have absolutely no reason to have a "wee dig at Harris"

However I will concede that perhaps I am being overly critical using the word "vastly"

Alfred E Newman
04-08-2013, 07:53 PM
He gave justified reasons for his observations/comments...

I think, after being at the games, he's correct..

You can't say he's being ridiculous if you werent there I'm affraid...

The OP is entitled to his opinion but in my opinion this thread is ridiculous whether I was at the game or not. Our problems do not lie with Harris.

Devilstorment
04-08-2013, 07:56 PM
The OP is entitled to his opinion but in my opinion this thread is ridiculous whether I was at the game or not. Our problems do not lie with Harris.

No and I dont think Harris is a problem at all and the thread is not meant to be identifying problems.

NorthNorfolkHFC
04-08-2013, 07:58 PM
Would you prefer if I just said outright that you're talking pish?

We're a distance away from Hibs fans "jeering" Harris.

You might as well.

But unless your Jose Mourinho your opinion is no more valid than mine.

There were fans having a go at Harris today whether you care to listen/notice. If I used the word jeering incorrectly I will apologise, maybe you could offer another suggestion.

Leighonel
04-08-2013, 08:05 PM
I have absolutely no reason to have a "wee dig at Harris"

However I will concede that perhaps I am being overly critical using the word "vastly"

Fair enough, just read that way.

Im probably being a bit overly aggressive because of some of the comments being posted and mainly because of Fenlons tactics today and over the past 3 games.

I would be equally aggravated with you saying he is out of his depth.

everyone is allowed an opinion it's just that some of them are wrong :greengrin:wink:

Tyler Durden
04-08-2013, 08:12 PM
You might as well.

But unless your Jose Mourinho your opinion is no more valid than mine.

There were fans having a go at Harris today whether you care to listen/notice. If I used the word jeering incorrectly I will apologise, maybe you could offer another suggestion.

Maybe we interpret jeering differently. I think people were definitely frustrated and moaning when play broke down with Harris. I wouldn't say people were jeering him or getting on his back.

He does seem to have lost some confidence but I think the fans are generally 100% behind him.

I think the fans were pretty supportive of a pretty lame and lifeless performance but that's probably cos the majority blame the manager rather than the players.

Gustavo Fring
04-08-2013, 08:13 PM
harris is a good wee player but he's only played a handful of 1st team games is still very young , and looks like his confidence has been obliterated by malmo . fenlon was bumming him up as the man to shoot down malmo and it would seem that has affected him big time

another man-managment disaster for fenlon

jakeshibs
04-08-2013, 08:14 PM
any news on his injury??

sahib
05-08-2013, 08:18 AM
I'm starting to wonder what Fenlons team talk consists of, other than "give the ball to Harris".

Could be. We didn't seem to have a decent pass to make after he went off. Hibs domination of the game lasted until Harris went off. He is in danger of being overhyped but he is a great asset to the team.

Hermit Crab
05-08-2013, 08:35 AM
any news on his injury??

Apparently was taken to hospital after the game. Hope it's not serious. He did walk off the park but did look in pain. As soon as the physio went over to him he immediately signalled to the bench to get him off. It's a shame because we could be doing with him next week.

blackpoolhibs
05-08-2013, 08:40 AM
Harris was beginning to make a good partnership with McGivern, lets see what happens when they are both back together on the left.

Hermit Crab
05-08-2013, 08:42 AM
Harris was beginning to make a good partnership with McGivern, lets see what happens when they are both back together on the left.

Hope he makes it next week. Forster and vine are back though.

Stevie Reid
05-08-2013, 08:57 AM
We had a good 10-15 minute spell in the second half yesterday, and Harris was pivotal in that - he then got injured and we lost all momentum. Hope he's back soon.

He was poor first half yesterday but improved hugely in the second half when he realised that you don't have to beat your man to cause the opposition problems.

Brightside
05-08-2013, 09:06 AM
We had a good 10-15 minute spell in the second half yesterday, and Harris was pivotal in that - he then got injured and we lost all momentum. Hope he's back soon.

He was poor first half yesterday but improved hugely in the second half when he realised that you don't have to beat your man to cause the opposition problems.

Harris was very poor yesterday but was still better than the mighty McFadden who was utter mince. Thomson ran the midfield yesterday and was the best player on the pitch by a mile.
The problem with Harris now is defenders know about him and mark him tighter. He struggled to beat a man yesterday. He needs to get back to full fitness and create space and use his pace to beat players.

superfurryhibby
05-08-2013, 11:29 AM
Can we play Harris on the right, given that he is right footed?

No questions, he has great talent and will be an asset to the team. I noticed yesterday that he was always cutting inside. Too easy to defend against.

gegs70
05-08-2013, 11:37 AM
To be honest he was starting to come onto a game in the 2nd half had he not been wiped out by a late challenge we may well have been having a different discussion. The lad is a good player but at his age he is still learning.