PDA

View Full Version : Player ratings

hibsbollah
04-08-2013, 02:55 PM
A draw would have been a fair result I thought. We had some decent individual performances, but tactically it seemed to be a bit of a mess, a 451 with Craig and Harris taking turns supporting the lone striker? I've supported the manager for a long time, but In a results driven business Fenlon must be close to the exit now.

Williams 7 tremendous double save second half. Not much else to do otherwise. No chance for the goal.

Stevenson 7 much better back on the left.
Hanlon 5
Nelson 6 some great blocks, won loads in the air but distribution very poor and looks s-l-o-w.
Mullen 5

Harris 4 just couldn't beat his man today.
Jones 6
Thomson 9 It might seem excessive but I can't give him less than 9. Outstanding in defence and attack. Every pass was on the money. Why Fenlon brought him off I can only guess.
Robertson 7 Great volley, very unlucky not to score and played well throughout.
Craig 7 work rate and delivery very good.

Collins 5 completely isolated. Must be wondering where the support was coming from.

Beefster
04-08-2013, 02:58 PM
Williams - 7

Mullen - 5
Nelson - 5
Hanlon - 5
Stevenson - 5

Harris - 4
Thomson - 7
Tudor-Jones - 3
Robertson - 6
Craig - 4

Collins - 6

Pray4Marc
04-08-2013, 03:00 PM
Agree with the 3 for Jones. Contributed nothing. Was like playing with 10 men going forward. I can see why pat has wanted to keep it tight early on after Malmo. Need to play Vine and Collins up front.

Pretty Boy
04-08-2013, 03:01 PM
Williams 7

Mullen 5
Nelson 6
Hanlon 5
Stevenson 6

Harris 4
Thomson 7
Jones 5
Robertson 6
Craig 4

Collins 6

hibee_girl
04-08-2013, 03:03 PM
Williams 7 - good saves, some kicking a bit suspect

Mullen 6 - good at going forward, horrendously slow when defending
Nelson 6 - looked calm and assured before the goal
Hanlon 7 - looked much better without McPake beside him
Stevenson 7 - much better at left back

Craig 5 - didn't do a great deal
Robertson 6 - did ok, good volley for his effort at goal
Thomson 9 - he was head and shoulders above everyone on that pitch today
Jones 6 - did well
Harris 4 - not himself at all today

Collins 7 - impressed with him, he can hold it up very well, he's strong etc but he cannot do it all himself, he needs someone beside him.

Hibs90
04-08-2013, 03:11 PM
Williams - 7

Mullen - 4 - Far too slow. Need a better right back asap.
Nelson - 5 - Couple of dodgy touches that on another day might have been punished.
Hanlon - 5 - Below average
Stevenson - 6 - Purely for effort

Harris - 3 - Was horrendous. Never done anything right. Needs dropped.
Thomson - 9 - Outstanding. Best player on the pitch.
Tudor-Jones - 4 - Should have been subbed.
Robertson - 7 - Better from, Robertson. Hope he can kick on from here.
Craig - 7 - Played well for me. Wasted out wide though.

Collins - 6 - No service. Needs another striker alongside. But played good considering.

Subs - 1
Fenlon - 0

OrdHibby
04-08-2013, 03:12 PM
Williams 7 did what was asked of him
Mullen 5 ok going forward but like stevenson got caught out with balls over the top
Nelson 5 decent defending apart from the goal. Distribution poor at best.
Hanlon 6 decent defending
Stevenson 5 100% effort but to slow to make a pass
Craig 5 takes to long to make the pass slowing everything down
Robertson 7 best game for Hibs. Positive
Harris 4 worst game in a Hibs top. Having Stevenson on the left didn't help him
Thomson 8 that was a captains performance. Give him the armband back. Best player on the park
Collins 7 fairly impressed. Needs someone to play along side him though
OTJ 4 Didn't think he did much

cloudy
04-08-2013, 03:15 PM
Where was Craig playing?

dmc1875
04-08-2013, 03:20 PM
Williams- 7 Two great saves near the end before Motherwell scored.

Mullen- 5 Good going forward when he did but suspect at the back and caught out with long balls.

Nelson 5 Looks no nonsense but some wayward headers and lack of pace was exploited.

Hanlon 4 Poor, miskick nearly caused us a lot of problems and lack of cover left Nelson exposed with the two long balls.

Stevenson 5 Gives 100% but not great going forward. Did well with a tired McFadden throughout however.

Craig 5- Being used totally wrong. A good player thats going to waste away if he keeps getting shoved on the right wing!

Jones- 6 Nothing bad or good of note

Thomson 8 Best player on the park. Drove forward and was trying to get us going from the middle.

Harris 5- Poor until lst 5/10 minutes when he started to look better. Then got injured.

Robertson 7 Not a bad game good volley that nearly put us in front. Tried to drive forward when possible.

Collins 7- Chased everything and certainly looks a player who can hold the ball up and will get on the end of things. Shame the lack of service (that we all knew was going to be a problem) didnt help him at all.

Subs:

Handling- Offered nothing of note. Should have been Caldwel IMO
Stanton- Worked hard and looks like he's got some skill about him
Taiwo- Didn't really do anything

Fenlon, 1 - Buying good SPL players and turning them into huddies because you play them out of position. No tactics, no width, no pace. The fans can see the problems why cant you?

A performance of mediocrity pretty much across the board which is sadly not good enough.

hibsbollah
04-08-2013, 03:20 PM
Where was Craig playing?

RM, although he seemingly was taking turns with Harris to play up with Collins in a 442? Not sure if this was accident or design.

OrdHibby
04-08-2013, 03:22 PM
Williams- 7 Two great saves near the end before Motherwell scored.

Mullen- 5 Good going forward when he did but suspect at the back and caught out with long balls.

Nelson 5 Looks no nonsense but some wayward headers and lack of pace was exploited.

Hanlon 4 Poor, miskick nearly caused us a lot of problems and lack of cover left Nelson exposed with the two long balls.

Stevenson 5 Gives 100% but not great going forward. Did well with a tired McFadden throughout however.

Craig 5- Being used totally wrong. A good player thats going to waste away if he keeps getting shoved on the right wing!

Jones- 6 Nothing bad or good of note

Thomson 8 Best player on the park. Drove forward and was trying to get us going from the middle.

Harris 5- Poor until lst 5/10 minutes when he started to look better. Then got injured.

Robertson 7 Not a bad game good volley that nearly put us in front. Tried to drive forward when possible.

Collins 7- Chased everything and certainly looks a player who can hold the ball up and will get on the end of things. Shame the lack of service (that we all knew was going to be a problem) didnt help him at all.

Subs:

Handling- Offered nothing of note. Should have been Caldwel IMO
Stanton- Worked hard and looks like he's got some skill about him
Taiwo- Didn't really do anything

Fenlon, 1 - Buying good SPL players and turning them into huddies because you play them out of position. No tactics, no width, no pace. The fans can see the problems why cant you?

A performance of mediocrity pretty much across the board which is sadly not good enough.

utter pish. watch it again and you'll find mullen had to cover nelson because he was out of position for the goal. but hey it's paul's fault. Get of his back.

Judas Iscariot
04-08-2013, 03:22 PM
6's & 7's for Stevenson!!?

Really?

No wonder so many folk have lost interest in Hibs if that performance constitutes a 7..

pontius pilate
04-08-2013, 03:23 PM
Getting a bit concerned with some of the comments regarding Mullen and Harris granted they didn't have a great game but it looks to me as though we are rounding on the youngsters already give them a chance they won't play outstanding every week.

Williams 7 never really had a lot to do.

Mullen 5 not the greatest tracking back but seen enough going forward.

Nelson 6 great in the air but is slow

Hanlon 6 again slow on the distribution but stuck at it and looked confortable at times.

Stevenson 7 showed an eagerness to get forward and did do some good tracking back tried to link up with Harris on occasions.

Craig 7 played well and at least tried to get forward whenever possible.

Tudor-jones 5 not the greatest but put effort into trying to break up play.

Thomson 9 head and shoulders above everyone else broke up play tracked back and pushed forward not afraid to put in a tackle.

Robertson 7 put in a good shirt tries to break forward whenever possible unlucky with the injury.

Harris 4 never lived up to the standards he set for himself

Collins 7 decent debut held up play well had no support though.

Fenlon 3 poor negative tactics poor substitutions no fire in his belly and no drive or determination looks like a sackedan walking

Latapy1911
04-08-2013, 03:23 PM
Williams 7

Mullen 4
Nelson 4
Hanlon 5
Stevenson 6

Harris 5
Thomson 7
Jones 6
Robertson 6
Craig 6

Collins 7

dmc1875
04-08-2013, 03:25 PM
utter pish. watch it again and you'll find mullen had to cover nelson because he was out of position for the goal. but hey it's paul's fault. Get of his back.

Or not. He got caught out for Suttons one on one as well...

Maybe watch it back again yourself it wasn't just Nelson, the two of them were at fault and Hanlon nowhere to be seen.

The whole defence was out of position

OrdHibby
04-08-2013, 03:29 PM
Or not. He got caught out for Suttons one on one as well...

Maybe watch it back again yourself it wasn't just Nelson, the two of them were at fault and Hanlon nowhere to be seen

Motherwell targeted the right hand side of the Hibs defence because of Nelsons lack of pace in the second half because they have a manager who knows a little about tactics. Hanlon was faultless in both incident you speak of. If anything the goalkeeper should have been out for the sutton chance but decided to stay. Pulled of a great save but they got a needless corner from it.

down-the-slope
04-08-2013, 03:30 PM
wide differences in ratings which show that there is little concensus as to where the weaknesses lie.

J-C
04-08-2013, 03:31 PM
Williams..7 2 decent saves

Mullen...5.5 decent going forward but caught out in defence at times but we knew that already
Nelson...5 good positioning and in the tackle stays on his feet, poor passing and very very slow
Hanlon... 6 did nowt much wrong, fairly decent
Stevenson...7 had McFadden in his pocket, looked to get forward when he could, needs to pick his passes better

Robertson...7 best game so far, loads of energy and when allowed to attack, looked dangerous
Jones... 3 waste of a signing, can't see why we have him as Taiwo is a far better player, bring back Claros please
Thomson...9 cracking game, from back to front, won nearly every challenge and distribution superb
Craig...6 needs to be played through the middle, he hasn't got the pace to be out wide
Harris..4 overdid it all too often, needs to do the simple things but do them well, when he did, he caused problems.

Collins...6 worked his socks of with almost zero support, will do ok for us.

OrdHibby
04-08-2013, 03:32 PM
wide differences in ratings which show that there is little concensus as to where the weaknesses lie.

the main weakness is the wee guy in the dugoot

dmc1875
04-08-2013, 03:32 PM
Motherwell targeted the right hand side of the Hibs defence because of Nelsons lack of pace in the second half because they have a manager who knows a little about tactics. Hanlon was faultless in both incident you speak of. If anything the goalkeeper should have been out for the sutton chance but decided to stay. Pulled of a great save but they got a needless corner from it.

Fair enough I just feel that after the couple of Williams saves the defence to a man got shaky and nervous. They targeted the long ball over Nelson/Mullen area. Maybe I will watch it again :wink:

It was a total 'meh' performance from Hibs in general. Nothing too bad, nothing too good. Therefore not good enough unless we want to trudge through the season with draws and narro defeats..

churchie16
04-08-2013, 03:33 PM
Thomson head and shoulders above anyone else! The gap between the midfield and collins was shocking sometimes guy needs a help up there after a lot of hoof ball!

R'Albin
04-08-2013, 03:35 PM
Williams 7 - Couple of good saves and was unlucky for the goal, he seemed to stumble.

Mullen 4 - Caught with his man behind him a number of times. Poor deliveries throughout.

Hanlon 6 - Was outpaced badly for the goal, other than that he was solid.

Nelson 7 - Distribution was crap but extremely solid IMO.

Stevenson 5 - He's not a full back. Attempted to make a few forward runs which all went badly. McFadden was kept quiet throughout though, which counts for something I guess.

Craig 4 - Really poor, but started on the wrong side. Fenlon should have switched the wingers at half time IMO.

Tudor Jones 3 - If he wasn't so tall I wouldn't have even noticed he was on the pitch.

Thomson 8 - Looks a class above at times. His passing was excellent and he was tracking a lot more than usual. MOTM

Robertson 7 - Really improved from when I last watched him. It's a shame he didn't make more forward runs, because the couple of times he did he looked dangerous.

Harris 4 - Worst game he's had in a Hibs shirt. It's a shame because he seemed to be coming into the game more nearer the end, but then got crocked immediately.

Collins 7 - Looks a player. Great hold up play throughout and worked his arse off. He looked so isolated at times it was scary, not that that's the fault of the players.

Cameron1875
04-08-2013, 03:36 PM
Williams - 7

Mullen - 5
Nelson - 4
Hanlon - 4
Stevenson - 5

Harris - 3
Thomson - 7
Tudor-Jones - 3
Robertson - 5
Craig - 4

Collins - 5

OrdHibby
04-08-2013, 03:36 PM
Fair enough I just feel that after the couple of Williams saves the defence to a man got shaky and nervous. They targeted the long ball over Nelson/Mullen area. Maybe I will watch it again :wink:

It was a total 'meh' performance from Hibs in general. Nothing too bad, nothing too good. Therefore not good enough unless we want to trudge through the season with draws and narro defeats..

no tactics are the main problems. players need guidance and they aren't getting them from fenlon

hibsbollah
04-08-2013, 03:38 PM

Really?

No wonder so many folk have lost interest in Hibs if that performance constitutes a 7..

You're probably right. The fact I gave Lewis a 7 is the reason behind folk losing interest in Hibs :hilarious

04-08-2013, 03:38 PM

Really?

Some slack passes from him but I thought he looked better going forward.

Thompson definitely man of the match for me, we looked at our most threatening going forward when he got the ball and went forward in the centre. I think that Collins looks like he could be a decent signing but just wasn't enough support for him today.

neil7908
04-08-2013, 03:40 PM
I heard a couple guys leaving the game saying they felt we were unlucky and a draw would have been a fair result. Sorry but I cant buy that, Motherwell had the 2 best chances of the game just before they scored forcing Williams into a couple of great saves, their winner really didnt come out of nowhere.

Also, if you set a team out the way we did, you cant expect to win a football match, pure and simple. It was always going to be a case that a Motherwell goal would wreck our gameplan and teams that are set up to play for a draw inevitability come away with nothing.

In terms of individual scores:

Williams - 7 (kicking was a little suspect but pulled off 2 excellent stops and cant be faulted for their goal)

Mullen - 6 (thought he looked ok, a couple decent deliveries and didn't get much wrong but wasn't a stand out)
Nelson - 6 (solid but passing was really poor)
Hanlon - 6 (still not sure about him, doesn't fill me with confidence)
Stevenson - 7 (he's not great going forward but at least tried to get up and down the line and never let anyone past him at the back)

Craig - 5 (based on his displays last season we know he's a good player but its clear he is out of position and isn't able to influence games from out wide, not his fault but in the games he's played so far I've seen absolutely nothing. I suspect playing him centrally might help tho)
Tudor-Jones - 5 (anonymous)
Thomson - 8.5 (best player on the pitch, worked hard, tried to push forward and was always fighting to win the ball back. Best game in his second spell at the club)
Robertson - 8 (one of the few positives, tried his best to get forward and when he did get the ball in an advanced areas was one of the few players that played some intelligent football and looked dangerous. Very hopeful that he will keep on improving he more match sharpness he gets and can add some goals to the team)
Harris - 5 (poor by his standards, although I felt he has just gotten a little more into the game when he went off injured. Struggled to get into the game until that point and barely got past his man all day)

Collins - 5 (did nothing wrong and a bit like Craig, I think there is a player in there but very hard to tell as the ball was constantly blasted up to him with no support when he did win it. McManus looked very commanding against him and feel pretty gutted on missing out)

OrdHibby
04-08-2013, 03:41 PM
Williams 7 - Couple of good saves and was unlucky for the goal, he seemed to stumble.

Mullen 4 - Caught with his man behind him a number of times. Poor deliveries throughout.

Stevenson 5 - He's not a full back. Attempted to make a few forward runs which all went badly. McFadden was kept quiet throughout though, which counts for something I guess.

Craig 4 - Really poor, but started on the wrong side. Fenlon should have switched the wingers at half time IMO.

Tudor Jones 3 - If he wasn't so tall I wouldn't have even noticed he was on the pitch.

Thomson 8 - Looks a class above at times. His passing was excellent and he was tracking a lot more than usual. MOTM

Robertson 7 - Really improved from when I last watched him. It's a shame he didn't make more forward runs, because the couple of times he did he looked dangerous.

Harris 4 - Worst game he's had in a Hibs shirt. It's a shame because he seemed to be coming into the game more nearer the end, but then got crocked immediately.

Collins 7 - Looks a player. Great hold up play throughout and worked his arse off. He looked so isolated at times it was scary, not that that's the fault of the players.

He was positioned to catch the striker offside but unfortunately Mullen and Nelson weren't. The guy was offside my a ba' hair but Mullen was sleeping and nelson was the wrong side of Hanlon. The boy had a head start on Hanlon because of this. Sometimes it isn't actually Hanlons fault. He's a good player and the fans should start getting behind him because he's had the misfortune in his career to play along side some truely awful players.

Centre Hawf
04-08-2013, 03:46 PM

Which surprises me because usually Hibs.net is full of upcoming Sir Alex' and Jose Mourinho's

R'Albin
04-08-2013, 03:48 PM
He was positioned to catch the striker offside but unfortunately Mullen and Nelson weren't. The guy was offside my a ba' hair but Mullen was sleeping and nelson was the wrong side of Hanlon. The boy had a head start on Hanlon because of this. Sometimes it isn't actually Hanlons fault. He's a good player and the fans should start getting behind him because he's had the misfortune in his career to play along side some truely awful players.

I actually agree that Hanlon is a decent SPL player. Anytime he's had a partner that's played well beside him, he's usually played pretty well (unfortunately that's not happened all that often!). I also agree with your analysis of the goal. One thing though, was it not Stevenson who was also playing him on? I thought Nelson was halfway up the pitch heading it away? Think I need to see it again, because I was too busy worrying about what Williams was up to when I watched the replays at the time :greengrin

Mikey
04-08-2013, 03:49 PM

No need. Let's be a bit more constructive eh :wink:

J-C
04-08-2013, 03:51 PM
I actually agree that Hanlon is a decent SPL player. Anytime he's had a partner that's played well beside him, he's usually played pretty well (unfortunately that's not happened all that often!). I also agree with your analysis of the goal. One thing though, was it not Stevenson who was also playing him on? I thought Nelson was halfway up the pitch heading it away? Think I need to see it again, because I was too busy worrying about what Williams was up to when I watched the replays at the time :greengrin

Mullen played him on and it was his player to cover, he was slow off the mark and got caught out, nothing to do with Hanlon, just came home and watched the goal again, deffo Mullen's fault.

OrdHibby
04-08-2013, 03:51 PM
No need. Let's be a bit more constructive eh :wink:

:aok:

R'Albin
04-08-2013, 03:53 PM
Mullen played him on and it was his player to cover, he was slow off the mark and got caught out, nothing to do with Hanlon, just came home and watched the goal again, deffo Mullen's fault.

:aok:

wookie70
04-08-2013, 03:55 PM
Williams 7 Couple of excellent saves. Did he slip for the goal

Stevenson 7 Had a good game, tried his best to get forward and won a good few tackles
Hanlon 5 Bossed about at times and lost the ball in dangerous positions
Nelson 6 Decent for his debut but very slow. Missed a couple of clearances and at least partially at fault for foal. Good in air
Mullen 5 Tried to get forward but doesn't look to hot in defensive situations. Put a couple of good crosses in. Not great for goal

Harris 4 Not his day and got injured just when he looked like he might have been coming into the game
Jones 5 Never did much wrong but no real influence in the game
Thomson 9 Best player on the park by a country mile. Drive, determination and bags of quality. No idea how he was subbed as he still looked like he had more to give than most
Robertson 7.5 Buzzed about and got in the face of their midfield.Tried his best to get forward and linked well with KT. Great shot unlucky to score
Craig 7 Lots of effort and some nice touches

Collins 6 Not alot came off for him but never gave in and worked really hard. Impossible job playing up front 30 yards away from any team mates with balls hit at you from 50 yards away

Stanton 4 Not much time but a couple of nice touches
Handling 4 Looked to get involved but touch usually took ball 5 yards away from him
Taiwo 4 Not really involved

GreenPJ
04-08-2013, 04:00 PM
Williams - 7
Stevenson - 6.5
Hanlon - 6
Nelson - 5
Mullen - 5.5
Harris - 3
Thomson - 7.5
Roberston - 7
Jones - 4.5
Craig - 6
Collins - 6

Stanton - 4
Handling - 4
Tawio -4

Pat - 1

blackpoolhibs
04-08-2013, 04:06 PM
Only one question, is a country mile longer or shorter than a city mile?

J-C
04-08-2013, 04:12 PM
Only one question, is a country mile longer or shorter than a city mile?

Slightly longer but a wee bit shorter than the Royal Mile :greengrin

Seekyit
04-08-2013, 04:19 PM

Exactly. Really disappointed at his performance today. Didn't seem to want to get into the game.

LaMotta
04-08-2013, 04:37 PM
Interesting differences in opinion on Liam Craig's performance today.

I thought he was very poor - gave the ball away countless times with misplaced world cup willy balls and basic ten yard passes, im expecting much better from him. On the plus side his boots were at least in acceptable taste compared to the shameful orange and bright yellow ones some of his colleagues were wearing.

blackpoolhibs
04-08-2013, 04:39 PM
Slightly longer but a wee bit shorter than the Royal Mile :greengrin

Not as long as the Golden mile in Blackpool. :greengrin
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CDEQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FGolden_ Mile_(Blackpool)&ei=lIP-Uez4JsKn0QWC-4CADA&usg=AFQjCNEZE1kKwwEMJ8n998nnbToIQlATlw&sig2=dMg0T6-b2mqR0_ai8ynEhw&bvm=bv.50165853,d.d2k

Zazu62
04-08-2013, 04:47 PM
Thought Robertson looked good today looks a player

Squealing pig
04-08-2013, 04:50 PM
Big ben was his usual self, thought nelson and Collins looked good, best game thompson has played in a while long may it continue

lugz
04-08-2013, 04:51 PM
Thomson was our best player closely followed by Robertson who I think will be a big player for us this season.

Would also give pass marks to Williams for 2 great saves and the lad up top worked hard despite having no support the whole game which isn't his fault.

GlenrothesHibee
04-08-2013, 04:51 PM
Agree with everyone on Thomson. Absolutely outstanding and thats not an exaggeration

GoldenEagle
04-08-2013, 04:56 PM
Agree with everyone on Thomson. Absolutely outstanding and thats not an exaggeration

I did say in another thread but simply head and shoulders above everyone today.

Onceinawhile
04-08-2013, 04:58 PM
Surprised Scott Robertson is getting off so lightly. He went off with cramp on 75 minutes Ffs. He's a professional footballer and he's cramping after 75 minutes? Needs to take a look at himself.

HibeeSince85
04-08-2013, 04:59 PM
Williams 7

Mullen 6
Nelson 6
Hanlon 6
Stevenson 5

Craig 6
Robertson 5
Jones 5
Thomson 8
Harris 5

Collins 7

lugz
04-08-2013, 04:59 PM
Surprised Scott Robertson is getting off so lightly. He went off with cramp on 75 minutes Ffs. He's a professional footballer and he's cramping after 75 minutes? Needs to take a look at himself.

Maybe because he worked his socks off all game. If our players aren't fit we know who to blame.

Wotherspiniesta
04-08-2013, 05:02 PM
Wiliams 7 Untroubled really bar a couple of excellent saves.

Mullen 4 Poor positioning and defensively unaware.
Hanlon 6 Coped well with Sutton I thought.
Nelson 6 Looked good, but as already stated, slow.
Stevenson 5

Robertson 7 Good game from him I thought.
Tudur-Jones 5 Not sure what he brings TBH.
Thomson 9 MOTM by a mile. Chased and harried all game, passing was good. Class above.
Craig 6 Tried, but nothing much came off for him.
Harris 5 Just couldn't get the better of his man all game.

Collins 7 Like the look of this guy. Good in the air, brings players into play. Just needs more support.

Subs:

They were the wrong subs made at the wrong time.

Stanton- Forced change. Made no impact.
Taiwo- Needless swap. Needed a match winner at that point.
Handling- subbed on for our most effective midfielder too late.

Fenlon 2 *****.

Hexham Hibee
04-08-2013, 05:11 PM
I don't normally comment on ratings but can't believe what some are saying about Craig. I suspect those that gave him low marks were only watching on TV. At the game everyone could see how much ground he covered whereas on the box a lot of that is missed. And to say he is wasted out on the wing also suggests people left the room to make a cup of tea often because at ER he, and the other midfielders interchanged and covered each other. Not quite Holland's total football from 1978 but certainly an improvement on last year.
We lost narrowly to the team that finished second last year and who are favourites to do same again. Fans forget that there are two teams playing and we do not have a divine right to win every game. Harris had a poor game but despite his age as soon as he had lost the ball a couple of times early on some fans got on his back. He should get credit for trying to take players on. No doubt its the same punters that critisise OTJ for passing the ball sideways that slag Harris so quickly. Some people are never happy.

GlenrothesHibee
04-08-2013, 05:17 PM
Strange one today. I didn't think anyone had a bad game really other than Harris. Just didn't happen for him. A draw would have been a fair result

LaMotta
04-08-2013, 05:18 PM
I don't normally comment on ratings but can't believe what some are saying about Craig. I suspect those that gave him low marks were only watching on TV. At the game everyone could see how much ground he covered whereas on the box a lot of that is missed. And to say he is wasted out on the wing also suggests people left the room to make a cup of tea often because at ER he, and the other midfielders interchanged and covered each other. Not quite Holland's total football from 1978 but certainly an improvement on last year.
We lost narrowly to the team that finished second last year and who are favourites to do same again. Fans forget that there are two teams playing and we do not have a divine right to win every game. Harris had a poor game but despite his age as soon as he had lost the ball a couple of times early on some fans got on his back. He should get credit for trying to take players on. No doubt its the same punters that critisise OTJ for passing the ball sideways that slag Harris so quickly. Some people are never happy.

I was at the game, and I watched him surrender posession far too many times to be given a high mark. If you were at the game you surely would have noticed this as well...... I think he will go on to be a good player for us, but he was poor today.

Purehibee_MYB
04-08-2013, 05:25 PM
Agree that Thomson was our best player today. Robertson looks to be finding his form that we all expected when we signed him which is good. Collins looks to be very handy at holding up the ball and bringing players into the game but just lacked the support and creativity to create chances. I thought everyone played ok and no one was terrible as such. Stevenson kept McFadden quiet which is always a good thing but I just think we were lacking that spark to get the goal and a lapse in concentration by Mullen lost a goal unfortunately.

neil7908
04-08-2013, 05:53 PM

I was also at the game and cant see how anyone could give him above a 5. That doesn't mean he is rotten but just wasn't great. I don't think someone deserves a high score just for "covering a lot of ground" which I'll admit he did do fairly well.

A saw him a couple times last year for St Johnstone and based on his record for them and those games he is a good player, I'm not doubting that but he is an attacking midfielder and I cant remember a single meaningful contribution he made to the game. Again, thats not an attack on him but my honest opinion of his performance over 90 mins. Also think he would be better suited to playing in the middle of the park as he doesn't have the pace I would normally want to see in a wide player.

I think most fans haven't really been giving the players too much grief, I certainly didnt hear any abuse aimed at Hibs players coming from my part of the Upper West, most fans are still backing the players and club but just dont see Fenlon as being up to the job. Mullen had his first start for the club and despite being ex-Jambo received a decent reception IMO.

Pretty Boy
04-08-2013, 05:59 PM
Can people please stop with this 'Motherwell finished 2nd' crap.

That team today is nothing like the team that finished 2nd last year. They will do well to make top 6 this year.

davieh
04-08-2013, 06:26 PM
Can't believe that people are posting 7s, 8s and 9s on this thread - Thomson included...?!?

Thought it was a very poor performance all round, nowhere near good enough.

Billy Whizz
04-08-2013, 06:27 PM

He missed most of pre season with a back injury, give the lad a chance

frazeHFC
04-08-2013, 06:30 PM
Williams - 6

Mullen - 6
Nelson - 6
Hanlon - 6
Stevenson - 6

Harris - 5
Tudur Jones - 6
Robertson - 7
Thomson - 7
Craig - 6

Collins - 6

I don't think any players had a particularly bad game, bar Harris who couldn't beat his man today. In saying that the way we played isn't good enough, we won't win games like that cos we create very very little and have no support for the front man.

Fenlon - 3

SMAXXA
04-08-2013, 07:06 PM

Dont talk pish they never targeted **** all, the 2 CHs were caught out of position for the goal, the right back Mullen comes Ian's he should but he should never have to tuck in as deep as he was. Don't try stick up for one of the 2 CHs and by default blame the other, it was poor as we have accustomed to expect from our defence

twiceinathens
04-08-2013, 07:09 PM
We started off fairly brightly but other than winning a couple of corners failed to produce a telling final ball. Then gradually sank back into a phase of pretty much abandoning anything more than forty yards from our goal. Motherwell were allowed to advance more or less as they liked and when we did get possession there was no support for the ball carrier. An isolated Collins could achieve little and Harris was very subdued. After about the hour mark we did have a spell when we put more pressure on Motherwell, Harris began to get more involved and the crowd became more animated. Their keeper had a good save. Then Harris got injured, followed by Thompson and Robertson and the impetus was lost. Motherwell then had dominant ten minutes during which we were taken apart on three occasions, Williams saved us twice but could do little about the goal. Not a great start, but hardly a disaster.

Tyler Durden
04-08-2013, 07:13 PM

Can't highlight from my phone but Mullens deliveries were not poor. He put in probably the best 2 balls of the game.

Hanlon also set up a great chance for Well when his clearance from a simple cross was more like a cushioned lay off to the edge of his own box.

I'm quite surprised at the positive marks for Robertson. I was happy to see him starting today but one volley aside he was again poor. I'm not criticising him so much as Fenlon. The gap between the midfield and Collins today was unreal. For some reason I'd convinced myself today was a new start. Instead we saw the same Fenlon tactics - overload our midfield with central players with no interest in getting forward. Let the opposition dominate possession and hope to catch them on the break. He has to go.

ballengeich
04-08-2013, 07:16 PM
He missed most of pre season with a back injury, give the lad a chance

Robertson also got a knock in a hard tackle about a minute before he went off. I think it was the effect of that, not cramp, that he was trying unsuccessfully to shake off when he was stretching.

If he gets back to the form he had before moving south he'll be a good signing.

gegs70
04-08-2013, 07:23 PM
We started off fairly brightly but other than winning a couple of corners failed to produce a telling final ball. Then gradually sank back into a phase of pretty much abandoning anything more than forty yards from our goal. Motherwell were allowed to advance more or less as they liked and when we did get possession there was no support for the ball carrier. An isolated Collins could achieve little and Harris was very subdued. After about the hour mark we did have a spell when we put more pressure on Motherwell, Harris began to get more involved and the crowd became more animated. Their keeper had a good save. Then Harris got injured, followed by Thompson and Robertson and the impetus was lost. Motherwell then had dominant ten minutes during which we were taken apart on three occasions, Williams saved us twice but could do little about the goal. Not a great start, but hardly a disaster.

Thats it in a nutshell!!!!!!

We just dont have the depth of squad to change the game?

Criswell
04-08-2013, 10:54 PM
Very few positives to take out the game. I thought Thomson did ok and defensively there were signs of improvement and that's about it. Craig was poor and Robertson, was at best, average. However, I was bewildered by the display of Tudor-Jones; I don't think I have ever seen such a slow and static performance in my life. He seemed to spend the entire game in the centre circle and the game totally passed him by. I have no idea what role he was supposed to be playing?

Heisenberg
04-08-2013, 10:59 PM
The whole defence was out of position

Something that happens all too often under Fenlon. They get dragged about all over the pitch and teams can just ping high balls over the top of our fullbacks with ease.

Fergus52
04-08-2013, 11:48 PM

Really?

Had mcfadden in his back pocket all game

snooky
04-08-2013, 11:57 PM
IMO & FWIW ....
Williams 6 - Two good saves however, that's his job
Stevenson 7 - Always tries and had a couple of good runs
Hanlon 6 - Lacks something - well documented above
Nelson 6 - Okay debut but lack of pace could be a problem
Mullen 6 - Gave winger too much space, pulled into centre. Not bad going forward. Come back Clancy.
Harris 4 - The laddie needs break or we'll burn him out.
Jones 1 - And that's just for the one tackle he made at the end. Totally uninterested - complete waste of a jersey today.
Thomson 9 - O for a team of players showing this kind of desire, skill and effort.
Robertson 7 - Decent shift
Craig 7 - Decent shift too
Collins 7 - Needs some support. Never won a lot in the air but at least put in a decent challenge. Liked what I saw.

Stanton - Nice touches + showed some movement at throw-ins (unusual act for a Hibs player)
Handling - Did okay
Taiwo - Did okay too

Manager 1 Does he actually see what's happening on the park? Is the dugout below grass level?

500miles
05-08-2013, 06:06 AM
Our game plan failed because Harris and Craig weren't taking responsibility going forward. It's a shame that Cairney is injured and Vine was suspended, because they would have given us an option.

Robertson played a bit too deep, and OTJ ended up looking like he wasnt sure what role he should be playing. To be fair to the Welshman, I think he had a lot to do with the amount of ball we were picking up in the midfield in the first half.

We were a bit disjointed and apprehensive, but Motherwell could have had no complaints had we won, just as we can have no complaints. It was a pretty fine margin yesterday.

TrinityHibs
05-08-2013, 06:30 AM
Maybe because he worked his socks off all game. If our players aren't fit we know who to blame.

Lewis?:dunno: Its normally him:wink:

rcarter1
05-08-2013, 07:39 AM

Thats it in a nutshell!!!!!!

We just dont have the depth of squad to change the game?

Agree with summary. I dont think the depth of the squad is the main problem, more the set up. For periods of the match, when motherwell were putting us under pressure, our clearances would get mopped up as Collins was isolated. It was all too easy for Motherwell to keep regaining possession, and maintain the pressure. There needed to be a couple more bods up front to help regain possesion from our clearances.

Was quite pleased with our individual level of ability however, so still hope we can adapt the system. The players we have on the park in spite of injuries/suspensions should do OK in this league. Harris will learn when to go at a player - and when not to, as he ran into their defenders a lot until later on. OTJ seemed a little lost, but pleased with Robertson, and to an extent Craig. Our uber slow defence needs rectified, but we are particularly short there right now. I believe a fully fit McPake would have prevented their goal. Mullen had impressed me until I realised his lack of pace.

I think the boos were unfortunate, as Im hopeful that team with Vine, McGivern and Forster back we could set up more effectively.

However: Pat Fenlon - please look at different formations - please!

happiehibbie
05-08-2013, 07:47 AM
Williams 7 again kept us in the game with 3 fine stops
Mullen 5 got caught on the wring side a few times needs to consintrate more
Hanlon 6 did ok till the goal
Nelson 5 as above But distribution of a closed down warehouse and Slow
Stevenson 5 defence good. But going forward and missplaced passes very poor

Craig 7 played well chased back well but could get more involved playing on the wrong side for me
Roberston 8 best game for Hibs i would say
Thomson 9 diffirent class
Harris 5 played on the wrong side always goes inside
Jones 6 Did ok but like to see a bit more dig

Collins 7 held the ball up well once fit looks like we have a centre forard that can hold the ball

Handling 3 what a waste of time this boy is not good enough
Stanton 4

PAT FENLON 1 for turning up and for the forward line he put out today I understand we are short through injury but FFS ONE up front at home

lugz
05-08-2013, 07:49 AM
Lewis?:dunno: Its normally him:wink:

Haha! Think him and Hanlon need to work on the squads fitness!!

jdships
05-08-2013, 08:06 AM
Note the criticsm of Stevenson " going forward"
If you watch the video you will see on two occasions as he crossed the halfway line he was being pressurised by a 'Well player close into him .
It was obvious that he was not going to be able to put a cross in but not one Hibs player went anywhere near him to take a short pass and continue the move .

Football is a team game and managers need to utilise the strengths of the players correctly

"Play for the name on the front of the jersey and the supporters will remember the name on the back"

Gustavo Fring
05-08-2013, 08:20 AM
williams - 7 - couple of fantastic saves to keep it 0-0 . not alot he could do about the goal

mullen - 6 - looked lively going forward and couldnt fault him for effort
hanlon - 5 - he's just not good enough
nelson - 6- added some presence to the back 4 but is a touch on the slow side
stevenon - 6- did ok out of position

harris - 3 - looks like his confidence has been severly damaged
jones - 5 - not a good day lets hope theres more to come from him
craig - 6 - tried to get forward and make things happen
thomson - 8 - classy , starting to look more like the player he was a few years back
robertson - 7 - impressed me the most because i didnt expect much . looks 10x better than last season . could be like a new signing if he keeps it up

collins - 6 - he's no leigh griffiths , but with decent service he could score a few goals .

hibsbollah
05-08-2013, 08:22 AM
If you watch the video you will see on two occasions as he crossed the halfway line he was being pressurised by a 'Well player close into him .
It was obvious that he was not going to be able to put a cross in but not one Hibs player went anywhere near him to take a short pass and continue the move .

Football is a team game and managers need to utilise the strengths of the players correctly

"Play for the name on the front of the jersey and the supporters will remember the name on the back"

I noticed that as well. Lewis has weaknesses which have been discussed on here plenty, but by nature he's an intelligent guy and probably saw that Collins was isolated, that all the good stuff we were playing was far too deep to cause Motherwell any problems, and decided to make a few runs himself as a consequence. But nobody followed him to offer an out ball, he hasnt got a shot on him, so he'd run into 3 defenders and get easily dispossessed.

When Lewis is your attacking threat from midfield you know somethings wrong with the shape.

Speedway
05-08-2013, 10:06 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23480899

Robertson shows up well.

Hibby 2005
05-08-2013, 10:19 AM
Williams - good saves but will cost us goals as he doesn't come for crosses, 7
Mullen - good crosser of the ball and ok defensively, 8
Nelson - physical but looked a bit slow, 7
Hanlon - will hopefully be replaced by Forster, 5
Stevenson - tried hard, 6
Thompson - intelligent player, 8
Robertson - good game yesterday, 8
Jones - for a big man he's a bit soft, 5
Craig - as has been said a million times, gets played out wide but has no pace, 6
Harris - good player but too much expectation on his shoulders, 6
Collins - felt sorry for him yesterday as he was starved of any real service, worked hard, 7

sparkiedelpaco7
05-08-2013, 10:51 AM
Williams - 7

Mullen - 6
Nelson - 7
Hanlon - 6
Stevenson - 5

Tudor Jones - 6

Craig - 7
Thomson - 8
Harris - 6

Robertson - 7

Collins - 7

Subs

Stanton - 6
Handling - 5
Tiawo - 6

I felt we looked alot sturdier but we lacked movement up front, which I think Vine will bring

Thomson stood out and Robertson played well in the gap

Nelson is big and strong and will play well alongside Forster

We need to remember that players like Harris and Mullen are still learning and have been thrown into the deep end

It is going to take a while to find consistency but I think we have definately improved the squad

My problem at the moment is with the lack of killer instinct. When Robertson had to go off, We should have brought on Caldwell and went 4-4-2 rather than bringing on another defensive midfielder who is bringing nothing to the attack

GlenrothesHibee
05-08-2013, 01:05 PM
Kevin Thomson got a 7 in the Sun today ( i know, i know ) What game was he watching!?

And Sutton 6! Didn't even notice he was playing until his chance.

NAE NOOKIE
05-08-2013, 01:55 PM
Williams .... 7 .... Two great saves and not at fault for the goal.

Mullen ...... 6 ... the lad tried hard and put in a few tackles, could be good at going forward more than defending.
Hanlon ...... 6 ... was OK but lacks pace.
Nelson ...... 6 ... big and strong and not going to be bullied .. would have been a 7 but his passing was terrible at times.
Stevenson .. 6 ... what can you say that hasnt been said already? 100% effort, but he makes nothing happen.

Tudor Jones ... 3 ... he made a decent tackle in the 2nd half which is when I realised he was on the pitch
Craig ........ 5 .... tried hard, but little impact for me.
Thomson .... 8 ... his best game since he returned, did very little wrong and tried very, very hard.
Robertson ... 7 ... I think it was him who nearly scored in the 2nd half by making the first run from deep into the box I've seen from a Hibs player for about 3 seasons.

Harris ... 4 .... Felt very sorry for him .. Just nothing worked and I was beginning to wonder if he was injured coming into the match, just not as dynamic as I have seen him. I hope the Malmo game hasnt dented his confidence, going to be a great player for us, onwards and upwards son.

Collins ... 7 .... I felt so sorry for him as well, ran his socks off as they say and actually looked like he is a decent player. I hope he was introduced to the midfield before the game, because for most of the match I was closer to him in my seat in the stand.

Subs ... Taiwo must be furious to see OTJ starting before him, from what I've seen. Handling, no impact. Stanton, looks like he could be a tricky wee guy, hope to see more of him.

Pat Fenlon: I once came on here after a game and accused Colin Calderwood of being a cowardly manager. Pat I'm afraid is getting close to that description. It seems that we are afraid of every team that comes to ER. Its all about stopping the opposition from playing, with 4 sitting / defensive midfielders and one up top 30 yards away from them. 3 times in the 2nd half yesterday we had the ball out wide and when you looked into the box there was Collins and yet again, even though we had spent 10 to 15 seconds working the ball into position for the cross, nobody running into the box to support him.

If you are going to play with one forward at home ( dammit ) then you have to support him from midfield. If you are not going to do that you might as well play 4 6 0.

GreenPJ
05-08-2013, 02:00 PM
What is Sam Stanton's natural position?

J-C
05-08-2013, 03:03 PM
What is Sam Stanton's natural position?

CM

snooky
05-08-2013, 05:19 PM
Generally the ratings given were fairly consistent with one or two 'out there'
Okay, I need to get a life, but I've totalled the numbers from all them and worked out the averages. Here's how they panned out.

Williams 6.9
Stevenson 5.9
Hanlon 5.6
Nelson 5.6
Mullen 5.4
Harris 4.2
Jones 4.6
Thomson 8.2
Robertson 6.8
Craig 5.8
Collins 6.4

Although Harris did not have a particularly good game, he is young and deserves a break. He'll be a big player for us soon. (Chin up, Alex :aok:)

Jonnyboy
05-08-2013, 08:18 PM

You'll have the 'set in their views' brigade after you :wink:

And before anyone jumps on my predictable defence of Lewis I'll say again that he's a better player than many give him credit for

Jonnyboy
05-08-2013, 08:19 PM
Williams - 7

Mullen - 6
Nelson - 7
Hanlon - 6
Stevenson - 5

Tudor Jones - 6

Craig - 7
Thomson - 8
Harris - 6

Robertson - 7

Collins - 7

Subs

Stanton - 6
Handling - 5
Tiawo - 6

I felt we looked alot sturdier but we lacked movement up front, which I think Vine will bring

Thomson stood out and Robertson played well in the gap

Nelson is big and strong and will play well alongside Forster

We need to remember that players like Harris and Mullen are still learning and have been thrown into the deep end

It is going to take a while to find consistency but I think we have definately improved the squad

My problem at the moment is with the lack of killer instinct. When Robertson had to go off, We should have brought on Caldwell and went 4-4-2 rather than bringing on another defensive midfielder who is bringing nothing to the attack

Sorry mate, I know it's all about opinions but when I read Jones merited a 6 I burst out laughing :wink:

snooky
05-08-2013, 08:24 PM
You'll have the 'set in their views' brigade after you :wink:

And before anyone jumps on my predictable defence of Lewis I'll say again that he's a better player than many give him credit for

:agree: ..............that's twice tonight - wanna try for a hattrick? :greengrin

snooky
05-08-2013, 08:26 PM
Sorry mate, I know it's all about opinions but when I read Jones merited a 6 I burst out laughing :wink:

..and JB scores to make it 3. :thumbsup:

Now put away those Tarot cards, FFS.

Jonnyboy
05-08-2013, 08:28 PM
:agree: ..............that's twice tonight - wanna try for a hattrick? :greengrin

..and JB scores to make it 3. :thumbsup:

Now put away those Tarot cards, FFS.

Thank you, I'm here all week :greengrin