PDA

View Full Version : Paul Hanlon

steviehibsleith
04-08-2013, 02:25 PM
Ok i have said this before and i will say it again - Paul Hanlon is never a Centre Half.
Have watched the goal 3 times and Nelson heads the ball , Paul Hanlon watches it and at no time at all looks where the centre forward is, there guy returns the header and Hanlon watches the ball as it drops over his head and as a result has no chance to get back.
Paul Hanlon is not a Centre Half and since he has been in the Hibs team we have continually had a rotten defense. He ball watches and never has a clue where the centre forward is and thats it in a nutshell.

SkintHibby
04-08-2013, 02:27 PM
DefenCe not defenSe. We live in the UK.

Singling Paul Hanlon out for special treatment is pretty poor IMO.:rolleyes:

brog
04-08-2013, 02:27 PM
Ok i have said this before and i will say it again - Paul Hanlon is never a Centre Half.
Have watched the goal 3 times and Nelson heads the ball , Paul Hanlon watches it and at no time at all looks where the centre forward is, there guy returns the header and Hanlon watches the ball as it drops over his head and as a result has no chance to get back.
Paul Hanlon is not a Centre Half and since he has been in the Hibs team we have continually had a rotten defense. He ball watches and never has a clue where the centre forward is and thats it in a nutshell.

Mullen played the man on ( maybe!) Hanlon was in correct position & why are you picking on him when we have 2 CB's?

BoltonHibee
04-08-2013, 02:28 PM
Mullen played the man on ( maybe!) Hanlon was in correct position & why are you picking on him when we have 2 CB's?

Good point

Torto7062

dare I say it....he's a poor man's Gary Caldwell

Scooter
DefenCe not defenSe. We live in the UK.

Singling Paul Hanlon out for special treatment is pretty poor IMO.:rolleyes:
Agreed

Sean1875
04-08-2013, 02:29 PM

If you follow the lins on the grass it looks like their mans foot was just offside to me, probably not a big enough margin for the linesman to spot at the time though but looked a tad off to me :agree:

And whilst I do agree that Paul Hanlon isnt the best of CB's its very harsh so single him out today when personally I didnt think he did anything too catastrophically bad, especially when both Forster and McPake were out so options were limited.

Wotherspiniesta
04-08-2013, 02:29 PM
Thought Paul was good today actually.

How can you single him out for the goal? :confused:

steviehibsleith
04-08-2013, 02:36 PM
The other CH cleared with a header whilst he was doing this Hanlon should have been looking where the forward is and he doesnt , watch it not once does he look he just follows the ball.

Borderhibbie76
04-08-2013, 02:43 PM
Ive defended hanlon time and again but he was very poor today letting sutton bully and harrass him the whole game... And his attempts at clearances were woeful at best!!

steviehibsleith
04-08-2013, 02:44 PM
Thought Paul was good today actually.

How can you single him out for the goal? :confused:
Ok watch it and explain why I shouldnt, i have explained why i blame him.

Hibercelona
04-08-2013, 02:48 PM
Hate to say it. But when a player gets singled out time and time again by fans, it tends to paint a picture.

Hanlons not the only hole in our defence. But he's certainly one of them.

Bobby's Cinema
04-08-2013, 02:48 PM
There were signs when he 1) sliced a ball across the box which should have been easily cleared, 2) tried to take his man on instead of booting the ball out the park 2nd half. what was all that about. lucky to get the freekick.

Below average defender, but seemingly largely immune to criticism

steviehibsleith
04-08-2013, 02:51 PM
Good point
Great point here Paul you are in the correct position watching your fellow CH clearing the header dont worry where there centre forward is ....... That would be 5 yards away from you and goalside.

OrdHibby
04-08-2013, 02:52 PM

Goin' do one

Nelson was out of position for the goal but i suppose that was Hanlon's fault ehh. Get of his back. He's the best we have and can pass the ball unlike others.

Hermit Crab
04-08-2013, 02:55 PM

Blame Fenlon not the players. The players are only playing where they are told to.

Bobby's Cinema
04-08-2013, 02:57 PM
Goin' do one

Nelson was out of position for the goal but i suppose that was Hanlon's fault ehh. Get of his back. He's the best we have and can pass the ball unlike others.

Nelson came forward to win a header, where to expect Hanlon with a view of the whole park to cover him. Instead Hanlon caught out and watches a 60yard ball sail back over his head. That's my view anyway

blackpoolhibs
04-08-2013, 02:57 PM
I thought it was probably Mullen that should have done better, although Nelson should have been in a better position, probably his only mistake of the game and we concede a goal.:rolleyes:

Hibercelona
04-08-2013, 02:58 PM
Blame Fenlon not the players. The players are only playing where they are told to.

Funny. I always thought that a CB played in more or less the same position in every game!

steviehibsleith
04-08-2013, 03:02 PM
Goin' do one

Did you even watch the game Nelson won the header just explain to me what Hanlon was doing

Scouse Hibee
04-08-2013, 04:22 PM

Yes it's all Hanlon's fault again! Give it a rest FFS, the stick Hanlon gets on here is ridiculous.

BoltonHibee
04-08-2013, 04:27 PM
Great point here Paul you are in the correct position watching your fellow CH clearing the header dont worry where there centre forward is ....... That would be 5 yards away from you and goalside.

I need to Look at this again

GoldenEagle
04-08-2013, 04:27 PM
Yes it's all Hanlon's fault again! Give it a rest FFS, the stick Hanlon gets on here is ridiculous.

It isn't IMO. A very poor defender with little obvious attributes.

Onceinawhile
04-08-2013, 04:31 PM
My problem with hanlon is that he never attacks the ball and he also gets bullied very easily.

Treadstone
04-08-2013, 04:32 PM
My problem with hanlon is that he never attacks the ball and he also gets bullied very easily.

Its a failing throughout the team.

Scouse Hibee
04-08-2013, 04:32 PM
It isn't IMO. A very poor defender with little obvious attributes.

Aye right then!

GreenPJ
04-08-2013, 04:33 PM
There were signs when he 1) sliced a ball across the box which should have been easily cleared, 2) tried to take his man on instead of booting the ball out the park 2nd half. what was all that about. lucky to get the freekick.

Below average defender, but seemingly largely immune to criticism

The sliced ball across the box was an error, the taking on his man, he got fouled and the free kick - any yet people still slag him for trying to do something other than hoof up the park or out the pitch.

As for immune to criticism there is not a week goes by without a thread about Hanlon or Stevenson. There is regularly 4 or 5 players every game who are worse than these two but as they have been around for a time they are constantly picked on. Am convinced both would be first picks in most SPL teams, including those that are above us, and yet they are the root to all the problems and never footballers. We have enough problems at the club without 7000 managers in the stands.

GoldenEagle
04-08-2013, 04:35 PM
Aye right then!

Enlighten me to what they are.

Mines is an opinion watching him play for the last 4 years.

TowerHibs
04-08-2013, 04:42 PM
Enlighten me to what they are.

Mines is an opinion watching him play for the last 4 years.

:agree:

yep and those 4 years we have been rank rotten and had some of worst defeats in decades. He has somehow remained in the defence. Not doubting he is a good player, but not good enough. Not hard enough, gets bullied and bottles it. He was slicing the ball all over the place today because Sutton was bullying him, he was nervous instead of assertive. I would love to play against Hanlon, give hi a shove and i would know i've won the mental battle

Hermit Crab
04-08-2013, 04:44 PM
Funny. I always thought that a CB played in more or less the same position in every game!

That will be why hes played left back for hibs too.:rolleyes:

NorthNorfolkHFC
04-08-2013, 04:46 PM
Paul Hanlon is a great defender, you don't always have to be hard as nails.

See David Wotherspoon before we write off age level internationalists off completely. N wonder players don't want to come to us or stay with us.

Squealing pig
04-08-2013, 04:47 PM
Marks to tight and has no pace a terrible defender

Bobby's Cinema
04-08-2013, 04:58 PM
The sliced ball across the box was an error, the taking on his man, he got fouled and the free kick - any yet people still slag him for trying to do something other than hoof up the park or out the pitch.

As for immune to criticism there is not a week goes by without a thread about Hanlon or Stevenson. There is regularly 4 or 5 players every game who are worse than these two but as they have been around for a time they are constantly picked on. Am convinced both would be first picks in most SPL teams, including those that are above us, and yet they are the root to all the problems and never footballers. We have enough problems at the club without 7000 managers in the stands.
The taking on his man inside the box was crazy defending. As for the managers in the stands, we were as supportive as we could be. It's only natural for the 'managers in the stands' to want to discuss the game

Brightside
04-08-2013, 04:58 PM
Paul did make a couple of mistakes today but nothing that led to a goal. He was the only player trying to play out of defence. But again he was getting dogs abuse every time he touched the ball.

Brightside
04-08-2013, 05:01 PM
The taking on his man inside the box was crazy defending. As for the managers in the stands, we were as supportive as we could be. It's only natural for the 'managers in the stands' to want to discuss the game
Why crazy. It's what we teach kids now. It called playing football.

Heisenberg
04-08-2013, 05:06 PM
Why crazy. It's what we teach kids now. It called playing football.

There's a time for playing football and a time for dealing with the ball and getting it out of danger. He did neither and nearly cost us for it.

blackpoolhibs
04-08-2013, 05:10 PM
There's a time for playing football and a time for dealing with the ball and getting it out of danger. He did neither and nearly cost us for it.

No he didnt, he was in control of the situation and was clearly fouled. At no time was there any danger of them scoring from this incident. Stop bloody panicking about nothing. :rolleyes:

OrdHibby
04-08-2013, 05:10 PM
Did you even watch the game Nelson won the header just explain to me what Hanlon was doing

waiting for your abuse

J-C
04-08-2013, 05:23 PM
Hanlon was not at fault for the goal, Mullen was, he played him onside and was slow to react to the crossed ball, Hanlon was covering for Nelson who had went forward with his clearing header. Instead of having a go at a player who was pretty decent today, open your eyes and watch closer in future.

FromTheCapital
04-08-2013, 05:25 PM
He just doesn't do it for me at all. He's a big enough laddie but he seems to get bullied off near enough every centre forward in the league! Even today when the ball came in from the wide area, he had more than enough time to position himself but he completely miss kicked the ball right across the box and they found themselves on the edge of the area with a free shot at goal which on another day could've been converted. He was at fault for the goal. People who are saying he wasn't are kidding themselves to be part of the fan club. Nelson moves forward to challenge Sutton for the header and wins it and Hanlon, Mullen and Stevenson are all covering in behind but Hanlon decides to dart forward and try to play offside without even communicating with Mullen, which I suppose could be a small part down to Mullen aswell but Hanlon has captained us a few times and you would've been expecting him to command the back four as Nelson moved forward but he didn't and after he moved up there was a massive gap left in the defence which was easily exploited with a simple through ball to win them the game. We didn't deserve to lose today but another defensive error has cost us dear... :rolleyes:

AlbertK86
04-08-2013, 07:11 PM
I've said ever since I joined Hibs.net that Paul is a ball watcher

Has a lot of backing on here but he is one of the most naive and powderpuff defenders I have seen in 40 odd years watching Hibs

Have walled him to do well but it ain't happening.

I'd put McGivern in at left CH against THEM as I thought Lewis doesn't deserve to be dropped. Not usually a big fan of his but he was one of our better performers today

SMAXXA
04-08-2013, 07:15 PM
Hanlon was not at fault for the goal, Mullen was, he played him onside and was slow to react to the crossed ball, Hanlon was covering for Nelson who had went forward with his clearing header. Instead of having a go at a player who was pretty decent today, open your eyes and watch closer in future.

No,he wasn't, Your right back should never have to tuck that far over, CHs were at fault

18/03/07
04-08-2013, 07:17 PM

100% with this post,a lot people forget he is a big hibee fan as well,does not deserve the abuse he gets on here,But hey ho,the punters on here are always correct.
Said it before,Hibs turned him into a defender,he was a high scoring midfielder with his youth side(blame tommy craig)

easty
04-08-2013, 07:27 PM
He just doesn't do it for me at all. He's a big enough laddie but he seems to get bullied off near enough every centre forward in the league! Even today when the ball came in from the wide area, he had more than enough time to position himself but he completely miss kicked the ball right across the box and they found themselves on the edge of the area with a free shot at goal which on another day could've been converted. He was at fault for the goal. People who are saying he wasn't are kidding themselves to be part of the fan club. Nelson moves forward to challenge Sutton for the header and wins it and Hanlon, Mullen and Stevenson are all covering in behind but Hanlon decides to dart forward and try to play offside without even communicating with Mullen, which I suppose could be a small part down to Mullen aswell but Hanlon has captained us a few times and you would've been expecting him to command the back four as Nelson moved forward but he didn't and after he moved up there was a massive gap left in the defence which was easily exploited with a simple through ball to win them the game. We didn't deserve to lose today but another defensive error has cost us dear... :rolleyes:

There have been games when I've thought Hanlon wasn't being strong enough, but today certainly wasn't one of them. He was in no way bullied by anyone today.

Hanlon is a good defender, I'm glad we have him.

easty
04-08-2013, 07:29 PM
100% with this post,a lot people forget he is a big hibee fan as well,does not deserve the abuse he gets on here,But hey ho,the punters on here are always correct.
Said it before,Hibs turned him into a defender,he was a high scoring midfielder with his youth side(blame tommy craig)

He wouldn't have made it as a midfielder at this level, he's not good enough on the ball. I'd say thanks to Tommy Craig for turning him into a defender, a good one at that.

SMAXXA
04-08-2013, 07:31 PM
He wouldn't have made it as a midfielder at this level, he's not good enough on the ball. I'd say thanks to Tommy Craig for turning him into a defender, a good one at that.

Did we ever run in behind their CHs ?

easty
04-08-2013, 07:31 PM
No,he wasn't, Your right back should never have to tuck that far over, CHs were at fault

Nonsense. I'm not blaming either player for the goal, but there's absolutely no reason a full back shouldn't cover that area. If the ball is left of centre then the right back tucks in.

easty
04-08-2013, 07:32 PM
Did we ever run in behind their CHs ?

Not that I can remember, I don't get your point though.

SMAXXA
04-08-2013, 07:34 PM
Nonsense. I'm not blaming either player for the goal, but there's absolutely no reason a full back shouldn't cover that area. If the ball is left of centre then the right back tucks in.

Nonsense my arse, a fullback should aways tuck in but not to the extent your 2 CHs were so out of position that your rb is playing as a ch. I'm blaming the CHs and if Hanlon is one of them then he shoulders half the blame for me.

SMAXXA
04-08-2013, 07:36 PM
Not that I can remember, I don't get your point though.

I can't say I'm surprised

easty
04-08-2013, 07:38 PM
Nonsense my arse, a fullback should aways tuck in but not to the extent your 2 CHs were so out of position that your rb is playing as a ch. I'm blaming the CHs and if Hanlon is one of them then he shoulders half the blame for me.

:agree::greengrin

SMAXXA
04-08-2013, 07:42 PM
:agree::greengrin

Aye ok :confused:

truehibernian
04-08-2013, 07:43 PM
Hanlon played okay today, Nelson too. For the goal, any analysis would and could be deemed pedantic.

I thought the clearing header was good - but a pedant would say Nelson admired his header instead of getting back into position (a very very harsh view I may add).

Hanlon, on the ball being headed, is anticipating moving up - which you would do as a centre half with only one attacker behind/alongside.

Mullen was just a but static - he actually got caught square a couple of times first half too and got caught wrong side.

The goal was coming - they had a near identical chance minutes before. For me if you're apportioning blame then Mullen was at fault. But Hibs looked leaky with aimless balls over the top - they're too flat and square.

Added to that there was no pressure on 'Well players in possession from around the 15th minute onwards - Hibs flipped the switch into 'allow them to play' mode.

jakeshibs
04-08-2013, 08:11 PM
Hate to say it. But when a player gets singled out time and time again by fans, it tends to paint a picture.

Hanlons not the only hole in our defence. But he's certainly one of them.

I agree, I don't think he is good enough, I like the lad but he lacks quality, confidence at present, has been the constant in our worse scores and worse defence for sometime, we need to change him as well if we change PF

pedroorange1875
04-08-2013, 10:15 PM
I agree, I don't think he is good enough, I like the lad but he lacks quality, confidence at present, has been the constant in our worse scores and worse defence for sometime, we need to change him as well if we change PF

He completely lacks positional sense and the reading of what is happening in the game, blatantly exposed in still/slow motion on sportscene tonight where even Michael Stewart comments on his lack of game awareness. I cant believe people are still arguing about him. Felon can go and take Hanlon with him

Bearders
04-08-2013, 10:31 PM
[QUOTE

Am convinced both would be first picks in most SPL teams, including those that are above us, and yet they are the root to all the problems

This comment beggars belief. Eyes painted on ? Your opinion all the same.

steviehibsleith
05-08-2013, 02:46 PM
See attached pic.
Motherwell defender about to head the ball 40 yards for striker to score what is PH doing, any decent CH would have been looking for the attackers thats why even 33 yo Nelson who is further from the attacker gets closer than Hanlon before he scores. Before anyone slates Mullen at least he was aware where the striker was.

Brightside
05-08-2013, 03:19 PM
See attached pic.
Motherwell defender about to head the ball 40 yards for striker to score what is PH doing, any decent CH would have been looking for the attackers thats why even 33 yo Nelson who is further from the attacker gets closer than Hanlon before he scores. Before anyone slates Mullen at least he was aware where the striker was.

Which one do you think is Hanlon in that Pic? He's the CH on the left yes? Nelson then 2 yard to the right of him infront of the striker and Mullen is the player tight next to the striker yes? For me that ball should have been Mullen's every day of the week. I really dont see who that goal has anything to do with Hanlon. The striker is on the right hand side no the left... so it was for Mullen and Nelson to cover. Stevenson and Hanlon picked up everything on the other side. On and obv Mullen has kept the boy onside as your picture clearly shows whilst Hanlon and Lewis have ensured he is off side. Its a simple mistake from Mullen - but that happens.

steviehibsleith
05-08-2013, 03:26 PM
[QUOTE=underscore;3705540]Which one do you think is Hanlon in that Pic? He's the CH on the left yes? Nelson then 2 yard to the right of him infront of the striker and Mullen is the player tight next to the striker yes? For me that ball should have been Mullen's every day of the week. I really dont see who that goal has anything to do with Hanlon. The striker is on the right hand side no the left... so it was for Mullen and Nelson to cover. Stevenson and Hanlon picked up everything on the other side. On and obv Mullen has kept the boy onside as your picture clearly shows whilst Hanlon and Lewis have ensured he is off side. Its a simple mistake from Mullen - but that happens.

No Nelson had attacked header and is on the left
Sorry pic isnt good - STevenson Nelson Hanlon Striker Mullen
on the player rating thread third page there is a bbc link to confirm it

hibbysam
05-08-2013, 03:43 PM
See attached pic.

That picture shows absolutely nothing...

Paul Hanlon goes to attack the ball and receives a call from Nelson...

Hanlon ducks and is therefore in front of Nelson who clears the ball...

Unfortunately for us the header back at us comes that quick and is that long that a fast attacker has got in behind us... Very similar to our goal in the cup tie at Killie last season, sometimes there is nothing you can do... Hanlon can't run through the other defender to get back in position.

blackpoolhibs
05-08-2013, 03:46 PM
That picture shows absolutely nothing...

Paul Hanlon goes to attack the ball and receives a call from Nelson...

Hanlon ducks and is therefore in front of Nelson who clears the ball...

Unfortunately for us the header back at us comes that quick and is that long that a fast attacker has got in behind us... Very similar to our goal in the cup tie at Killie last season, sometimes there is nothing you can do... Hanlon can't run through the other defender to get back in position.

Get goal side, step up and play the man offside. There's always something you can do if you are good enough.

For me Mullen should have done a lot better.

hibbysam
05-08-2013, 03:50 PM
Get goal side, step up and play the man offside. There's always something you can do if you are good enough.

For me Mullen should have done a lot better.

When it happens that quick? There was about a two second turnaround from one header to the next, no time to get back goal side after stepping in to make a clearing header and no time to step up and play offside as the ball is already on its way back... Apart from Hanlon who was getting out of Nelson's way, the other three were in line, just the boy had a lot of pace and broke clear.

blackpoolhibs
05-08-2013, 03:53 PM
When it happens that quick? There was about a two second turnaround from one header to the next, no time to get back goal side after stepping in to make a clearing header and no time to step up and play offside as the ball is already on its way back... Apart from Hanlon who was getting out of Nelson's way, the other three were in line, just the boy had a lot of pace and broke clear.

Yes that quick, you have to be aware where your man is all the time, especially defenders.

Mullen had come in to cover but switched off and let the man get in front of him. As i said if you are good enough you mark correctly, we have very few who are good enough.

H1B33 1875
05-08-2013, 04:18 PM
Hanlon is not good enough for Hibs! Got lucky a couple of times yesterday, should have been punished. Hes no longer a youngster breaking into the team , he has no excuses, hes got a good few seasons under his belt. Seems to be untouchable under Fenlon tho, other defenders are dropped for poor form, never Hanlon, gets picked no matter what sort of form he is in, add to that he continuosly gives the ball away with his cross field balls which very rarely find a player! Before anyone has a go, just my opinion.

500miles
05-08-2013, 04:27 PM
That goal was pretty much 100% on Mullen's shoulders. Surely only folk desperately looking for reasons to bash Hanlon are using this as a stick to beat him with?

AlbertK86
05-08-2013, 04:28 PM
Hanlon is not good enough for Hibs! Got lucky a couple of times yesterday, should have been punished. Hes no longer a youngster breaking into the team , he has no excuses, hes got a good few seasons under his belt. Seems to be untouchable under Fenlon tho, other defenders are dropped for poor form, never Hanlon, gets picked no matter what sort of form he is in, add to that he continuosly gives the ball away with his cross field balls which very rarely find a player! Before anyone has a go, just my opinion.

Fenlon made a comment about ball watching at the goal ... Hanlon continually ball watches...,
Hopefully Pat was talking about him and brings Forster or McGivern in to partner Nelson on Sunday

blackpoolhibs
05-08-2013, 04:33 PM
That goal was pretty much 100% on Mullen's shoulders. Surely only folk desperately looking for reasons to bash Hanlon are using this as a stick to beat him with?

:agree: You'd have to be blind to try and blame anyone else. I have not been Hanlons biggest fan, but the goal apart we did look ok defensively on Sunday, not great but ok.

Now that will be partly down to having the midfield virtually sitting on their toes all game, our style of play invites teams to attack us, so eventually we are bound to offer up a chance for the opposition. :rolleyes:

SMAXXA
05-08-2013, 04:38 PM

I agree he should have done better but IMO the CHs are far from blameless as their positioning was terrible. you expect your full back to tuck in of course, but he was asked to tuck too far over IMO. Thought we defended alright most of the game tho to be fair.

eastmainsmsh
05-08-2013, 04:49 PM
reckon Paul would do a cracking job as a sweeper or a sitting midfielder he is young and going to get better just feel he is wasted at centre half and has makings of a top player

AlbertK86
05-08-2013, 08:46 PM
reckon Paul would do a cracking job as a sweeper or a sitting midfielder he is young and going to get better just feel he is wasted at centre half and has makings of a top player

To be a sweeper you need to read the game and have total awareness of where all your team mates and the opposition

Sadly Paul has none of these qualities

JimBHibees
05-08-2013, 09:10 PM

The ball must have travelled 40 yards or so, Mullen had loads of time to get in the right position.

blackpoolhibs
05-08-2013, 09:12 PM
The ball must have travelled 40 yards or so, Mullen had loads of time to get in the right position.

Its all about being aware. :agree:

PatHead
05-08-2013, 09:28 PM
I made a thread a few weeks ago wondering who the new "boo boy" would be now that Spoony had been hounded out of Easter Road. Could have a winner- he has been blamed for the goal, criticised for dribbling the ball out of defence, criticised for hoofing the ball up the pitch and others that I don't think he was guilty of. Personally I don't think he was that bad yesterday. There are a lot things worse at Hibs than Hanlon.

hibee_nation
05-08-2013, 09:45 PM
I made a thread a few weeks ago wondering who the new "boo boy" would be now that Spoony had been hounded out of Easter Road. Could have a winner- he has been blamed for the goal, criticised for dribbling the ball out of defence, criticised for hoofing the ball up the pitch and others that I don't think he was guilty of. Personally I don't think he was that bad yesterday. There are a lot things worse at Hibs than Hanlon.

Hanlon must hate it when Stevenson has a good game. :greengrin

rcarter1
05-08-2013, 10:05 PM
This is all so harsh.. If we could stick a couple of goals in at the other end,all the fine toothpick dissecting of bad defending would be on someone else's forum.

I reckon that goal would have been prevented by a fully fit McPake rushing back with a trademark last ditch. :greengrin