PDA

View Full Version : Coventry City FC in Liquidation

Newry Hibs
02-08-2013, 10:07 AM
Coventry City are going into liquidation
http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/live-coventry-city-fc-creditors-5430930

But there is talk on that report that they are waiting to see if they can start the season on -15 points.

I thought if they were liquidated then don't exist so can't play (re: hearts fate)?

bingo70
02-08-2013, 10:12 AM
http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/live-coventry-city-fc-creditors-5430930

But there is talk on that report that they are waiting to see if they can start the season on -15 points.

I thought if they were liquidated then don't exist so can't play (re: hearts fate)?

It's different rules in England, a newco doesn't have to start again from the bottom down south

Newry Hibs
02-08-2013, 10:17 AM
It's different rules in England, a newco doesn't have to start again from the bottom down south

OK - seems a lot lenient than up here.

So a club can 'just' get liquidated and start again on -15. Though I'm sure Coventry fans don't see it that way, looks like they are in serious trouble.

Edit - According to the BBC, it's just one of the many companies that are Coventry City that have gone into liquidation. Jeez, all this financial tomfoolerly makes me glad for the Hibs.net experts who can chop their way through all this.

bingo70
02-08-2013, 10:28 AM
OK - seems a lot lenient than up here.

So a club can 'just' get liquidated and start again on -15. Though I'm sure Coventry fans don't see it that way, looks like they are in serious trouble.

It was the hearts administrator that was talking about this and how it made their case harder than Portsmouths, I don't really understand it though, I can't see why they don't all just do that?

I think Coventry are losing there stadium though are they not?

Speedway
02-08-2013, 11:09 AM

According to local reports, they've sold 211 season tickets in total.

BoltonHibee
02-08-2013, 11:57 AM
Any players there we might fancy?

carnoustiehibee
02-08-2013, 11:59 AM
For the fact Richard keys is a fan, and that fact only. I'm quite happy with this news

mikey1875
02-08-2013, 12:03 PM
John Fleck

steakbake
02-08-2013, 12:05 PM
Brian Kincline.
Steve Ogrizovic.
Cyril Regis.

Hermit Crab
02-08-2013, 12:17 PM
If fans of a team the size of Coventry can't save their club from liquidation then what chance do hearts fans have of saving theirs??

edinburghhibee
02-08-2013, 12:19 PM
I think eventually a lot of English and European clubs are going to hit the buffers teams like Chelsea, man city, Tottenham, Monaco, PSG, Malaga... These teams are spending massive amounts of money and getting financed by people who are not going to be around forever. Eventually the bubble has to burst and one by one these clubs will be brought to their knees, just look at our neighbours across the city.

Squealing pig
02-08-2013, 12:21 PM
Talk on ssn that they might start season -30 points. Sare yin

Part/Time Supporter
02-08-2013, 12:22 PM
If fans of a team the size of Coventry can't save their club from liquidation then what chance do hearts fans have of saving theirs??

Could turn that round and say that if fans of a team the size of Dunfermline can save their club from liquidation, it should be a piece of pish for Hearts.

Brian Kincline.
Steve Ogrizovic.
Cyril Regis.

Keith Houchen

:rolleyes:

I think eventually a lot of English and European clubs are going to hit the buffers teams like Chelsea, man city, Tottenham, Monaco, PSG, Malaga... These teams are spending massive amounts of money and getting financed by people who are not going to be around forever. Eventually the bubble has to burst and one by one these clubs will be brought to their knees, just look at our neighbours across the city.

Nah, most of those clubs have massive revenues and/or assets they can secure any debts against.

It's smaller / lower revenue professional clubs that are coming under pressure, because the fans have a certain level of expectation and it's no longer possible to meet that without being part of the gilded elite.

Keith_M
02-08-2013, 12:28 PM
I don't get this at all.

If they are liquidated, then they cease to be, they are an ex-football club, surely?

:confused:

Or is it the case that an English Football Club is immortal. No matter how many times they die, they instantly spring back to life? That can't be right, surely.

Ray_
02-08-2013, 12:30 PM
Brian Kincline.
Steve Ogrizovic.
Cyril Regis.

Willie Carr & Ernie Hunt. For the young uns, this free kick was outlawed after the match as it was deemed Willie Carr needed to touch the ball twice [he had a heel on both sides of the ball] to execute his donkey kick]. It certainly had all us kids trying it at school for some time to come.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wjq2xT-tx38

AndyM_1875
02-08-2013, 12:54 PM
I don't get this at all.

If they are liquidated, then they cease to be, they are an ex-football club, surely?

:confused:

Or is it the case that an English Football Club is immortal. No matter how many times they die, they instantly spring back to life? That can't be right, surely.

Not quite. CCFC Ltd is going into liquidation, the Football club is not. The whole club is not being liquidated. The football club will start the season playing it's home games at Northampton due to the complete breakdown of relations between the Football Club, ACL (who operate the stadium) and SISU, the company who are trying to get their hands on the stadium.

Coventry's situation is quite unique in that they have been systematically destroyed by the companies involved and the ex Chairman sold their old ground Highfield Road and his companies did rather well out of it.
The club got shafted, it wasn't a case of spending what they didn't have.

Coventry's situation is more Third Lanark than Hearts.

Hermit Crab
02-08-2013, 01:18 PM
Could turn that round and say that if fans of a team the size of Dunfermline can save their club from liquidation, it should be a piece of pish for Hearts.

Keith Houchen

:rolleyes:

Nah, most of those clubs have massive revenues and/or assets they can secure any debts against.

It's smaller / lower revenue professional clubs that are coming under pressure, because the fans have a certain level of expectation and it's no longer possible to meet that without being part of the gilded elite.

Yes true but dunfermlines debt was small compared to hearts.

Hibercelona
02-08-2013, 01:26 PM

Dunfermlines fanbase is about 1/400th of Hearts though...

SMAXXA
02-08-2013, 01:55 PM
Anyone see the Coventry MP Nikki Sinclair, whats the deal with her is she a tranny? She looks like she could do a job at centre half :confused:

DaveF
02-08-2013, 03:55 PM
Anyone see the Coventry MP Nikki Sinclair, whats the deal with her is she a tranny? She looks like she could do a job at centre half :confused:

The interview was funny in so much as she appeared to be about 3 feet taller than the bloke interviewing her.

Whether she's a tranny or not, she is a big unit :agree:

snooky
02-08-2013, 04:02 PM
Willie Carr & Ernie Hunt. For the young uns, this free kick was outlawed after the match as it was deemed Willie Carr needed to touch the ball twice [he had a heel on both sides of the ball] to execute his donkey kick]. It certainly had all us kids trying it at school for some time to come.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wjq2xT-tx38

One of the best goals you'll ever see and it was outlawed for not being strictly within the laws of the game.
This incident highlights the mentality of the pedantic numpties who run the game and who have no idea what entertainment is all about.

Can't do this, can't do that, can't stand, can't sing, can't go along Albion Road after the game, etc, etc.........
That's all we get from officialdom - a load of can'ts.

Part/Time Supporter
02-08-2013, 05:01 PM

Size of the debt is pretty much irrelevant once you are in insolvency, because it will never be repaid. Key questions then are who is it owed to, do they have a security, and what do they stand to gain or lose from each course of action? Dunfermline got out of it because the debt was mostly owed to Gavin Masterton (who, although a bit of a cockpiece, is a Dunfermline fan) and he didn't stand to gain or lose anything from allowing the CVA to pass as opposed to liquidating.

Hibernia Na Eir
02-08-2013, 05:21 PM
no great loss, horrible city. Crappy team.

Moulin Yarns
02-08-2013, 05:27 PM

Maybe but Lady Godiva makes good chocolates

Moulin Yarns
02-08-2013, 05:39 PM

you can blame Hearts for it being a horrible city. It would have been destroyed in the second world war otherwise.

blackpoolhibs
02-08-2013, 05:44 PM
I reckon Steven Pressley is slowly going round all his previous clubs, helping them all into liquidation. :wink:

steakbake
02-08-2013, 05:45 PM
Size of the debt is pretty much irrelevant once you are in insolvency, because it will never be repaid. Key questions then are who is it owed to, do they have a security, and what do they stand to gain or lose from each course of action? Dunfermline got out of it because the debt was mostly owed to Gavin Masterton (who, although a bit of a cockpiece, is a Dunfermline fan) and he didn't stand to gain or lose anything from allowing the CVA to pass as opposed to liquidating.

So, ironically in a way, Dunfermline actually did owe it to themselves?

monktonharp
02-08-2013, 07:55 PM
I have met a few folk from Coventry and surrounding areas, warwick,leamington etc throughout life.none of them were anything other than good. you have a particular thing about the place?:confused:

Jonnyboy
02-08-2013, 08:30 PM
They need to start fundraising fast. Maybe someone could ride naked on a horse through the city and get sponsored for doing it?

jacomo
03-08-2013, 08:41 AM

Have a word. It's a great loss to the fans.

I've been to Cov and can't say I liked it, but at least they once had a football team to be proud of.

Billy McKirdy
03-08-2013, 10:20 AM
I have good friends from Wood End in Cov, Wood End is much worse than Niddrie and full of chavs and burnt out houses, the city itself is pretty nondescript and was mostly flatrened in the war, Highfield Road was a fair sized stadium with oodles of character, the new complex is like any anonymous modern white elephant and Cov struggled to even half fill it. **** city overall but like most places full of good people and bad one's, I hope for Coventry's sake it pulls through cos the rest of the city has nothing to offer really. Very sad .

Scott Allan Key
03-08-2013, 10:44 AM
What former Hibs player changed the fate for the downtrodden of Coventry City?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZ9myHhpS9s

NAE NOOKIE
03-08-2013, 11:14 AM
Its sad to see any supporter lose their club. As long as that club and its fans didnt have a hugely inflated sense of its own importance of course and havnt spent years financially cheating.

At one time Coventry City were a byword for forward thinking in football. Its a shame to see them brought so low.

It does seem strange that the people of the city seem to be so apathetic with regard to the fate of their club. I dont know the full facts, it just seems that way.

Interesting though that very recently the owners of the Ricoh arena have offered to rent the stadium to the club for around £100,000 per annum going up if they get promoted. A bit better than the £1,000,000 per annum they were asking for before. Thats the problem with owning a stadium, if you dont have a football team to play in it you are pretty well Goosed.