PDA

View Full Version : Rule changes

Miguel
01-08-2013, 11:16 PM
One area I have always thought that rugby is better than football at is making rule changes to improve the game. Don't know how many of these would have to be approved by FIFA, or could be left to national associations, but I'd like to see...
Defenders penalised with a free kick for ushering the ball over the byline by blocking an attacker. To me, it's obstruction.
An unimpeded shot allowed from the edge of the 18 yard box for offences commited inside the box like pulling/pushing at corners: to me, refs are scared to award penalties in these situations because it would be seen as soft, yet if it happened anywhere else on the pitch theyd give a foul.
Rolling subs, perhaps even unlimited subs. Would potentially give players more game time and encourage more in the way of a tactical battle for managers.
Goalkeepers are not allowed to kick the ball over the halfway line: would encourage teams to play it out from the back rather than hoofing it.
Goal line technology and use of video for controversial incidents involving goals only, so it doesn't disrupt game, so that things like diving could be dealt with.
Proven divers given automatic red card and banned for next game.
Feel free to add suggestions.
On a wider note, given release of McLeish report today, why not:
Split money between clubs in all games.
Rule that any club whose outgoings exceed income over course of a season are given 15 point penalty for next season.
Draw up a clear list of songs that fans are banned from singing at games. If banned songs are sung during a game, the official observer will include it in his report and the offending club will forfeit any points gained in the match.
Unite all football associations and introduce aA proper pyramid system.
Give the fair play club in each division a 15 point start for next season.
Allow artificial pitches to encourage community to use them out of hours.
Scrap competitive football for under 13s - make coaching of under 13s an obligation for all clubs through schools and make sports coaching compulsory in all primary schools for at least two hours each day.
Feel free to add...

Centre Hawf
01-08-2013, 11:21 PM
I like Rolling subs, but only if the player coming on is under 20 or something. Would allow more youngsters game time.

Nomeancity
01-08-2013, 11:27 PM
One area I have always thought that rugby is better than football at is making rule changes to improve the game. Don't know how many of these would have to be approved by FIFA, or could be left to national associations, but I'd like to see...
Defenders penalised with a free kick for ushering the ball over the byline by blocking an attacker. To me, it's obstruction.
An unimpeded shot allowed from the edge of the 18 yard box for offences commited inside the box like pulling/pushing at corners: to me, refs are scared to award penalties in these situations because it would be seen as soft, yet if it happened anywhere else on the pitch theyd give a foul.
Rolling subs, perhaps even unlimited subs. Would potentially give players more game time and encourage more in the way of a tactical battle for managers.
Goalkeepers are not allowed to kick the ball over the halfway line: would encourage teams to play it out from the back rather than hoofing it.
Goal line technology and use of video for controversial incidents involving goals only, so it doesn't disrupt game, so that things like diving could be dealt with.
Proven divers given automatic red card and banned for next game.
Feel free to add suggestions.
On a wider note, given release of McLeish report today, why not:
Split money between clubs in all games.
Rule that any club whose outgoings exceed income over course of a season are given 15 point penalty for next season.
Draw up a clear list of songs that fans are banned from singing at games. If banned songs are sung during a game, the official observer will include it in his report and the offending club will forfeit any points gained in the match.
Unite all football associations and introduce aA proper pyramid system.
Give the fair play club in each division a 15 point start for next season.
Allow artificial pitches to encourage community to use them out of hours.
Scrap competitive football for under 13s - make coaching of under 13s an obligation for all clubs through schools and make sports coaching compulsory in all primary schools for at least two hours each day.
Feel free to add...

Keep the game going when there is an injury. Let the physio come on during play - would stop all this going down like you had been pole-axed. No advantage in going down like a softy, play would be raging on without you. ( I use the word raging, optimistically)
Best rule rugby has. Lets be honest all the Sunday league players - when does the game ever need to be stopped because of a real injury - hardly ever, and that's Sunday league when the tackles are flying in!!

Eyrie
02-08-2013, 09:21 AM
Keep the game going when there is an injury. Let the physio come on during play - would stop all this going down like you had been pole-axed. No advantage in going down like a softy, play would be raging on without you. ( I use the word raging, optimistically)
Best rule rugby has. Lets be honest all the Sunday league players - when does the game ever need to be stopped because of a real injury - hardly ever, and that's Sunday league when the tackles are flying in!!

Agree with this which would also stop the nonsense of kicking the ball out to let a player get treatment. Other ones I'd nick from rugby are only the captain could talk with the referee and automatic ten yard penalties would be given for dissent or preventing a quick free kick.

wandering_hibee
02-08-2013, 09:27 AM
I would nick the electronic clock from ice-hockey which stops during when the ball goes out or at fouls etc. It would stop time-wasting, remove the referee's decision as to how much time to add on and it would mean that everyone in the stadium new exactly how much time had elapsed and how much was still to go.

Gettin' Auld
02-08-2013, 09:32 AM
I would nick the electronic clock from ice-hockey which stops during when the ball goes out or at fouls etc. It would stop time-wasting, remove the referee's decision as to how much time to add on and it would mean that everyone in the stadium new exactly how much time had elapsed and how much was still to go.

Each game would last for over two hours if they did that. :wink:

Sergio sledge
02-08-2013, 09:43 AM
Agree with this which would also stop the nonsense of kicking the ball out to let a player get treatment. Other ones I'd nick from rugby are only the captain could talk with the referee and automatic ten yard penalties would be given for dissent or preventing a quick free kick.

:agree: I definitely think they need something like the rule where only the captain could speak to the referee as this would minimise the dissent. To be fair it seems to have improved recently though.

The electronic clock thing could work like it does in rugby where the referee calls "time off" when he feels the clock should stop for an injury or time wasting and "time on" when it should re-start, meaning that when the clock gets to 90 minutes, the game is over. You wouldn't need to stop the clock for the ball going out of play unless you felt a goalie was time wasting.

sauzee=legend
02-08-2013, 11:09 AM
Cup matches - I would get away with seeding. Make it an open draw and give everyone a fair crack. Imagin a champions league group of barca, real, man utd and man city - group of death, but gives teams like cluj etc a chance to maybe progress to the knockout.

Bristolhibby
02-08-2013, 11:35 AM
Cup matches - I would get away with seeding. Make it an open draw and give everyone a fair crack. Imagin a champions league group of barca, real, man utd and man city - group of death, but gives teams like cluj etc a chance to maybe progress to the knockout.

This would be great, but money talks and will never happen.

Same with all Cup Competitions, eg our league cup. All in a hat, crack on!

J

The_Exile
02-08-2013, 11:51 AM
I've always felt that teams should enter at the 1st round and it should be unseeded, there is no open cup competition that I know of in the British Isles, it's depressing.

Also rolling subs, amazed that that hasn't been brought in, there's no disadvantage to anybody, technically you could end up with a completely different team ending the game than started, but so what? Managers would need to be majorly tacticly aware and proficient.........then again, maybe leave that yin a few years eh? :greengrin

NadeAteMyLunch!
02-08-2013, 12:08 PM
Not a huge rugby fan but they are light years ahead of us when it comes to rules. Using technology, captain speaking to the ref, fans being able to hear refs justifying decisions and mostly, the fact that rules constantly change to adapt to changes in the sport. Some of our rules are stuck in the dark ages. The fact that Blatter point blank refused to even consider goal line technology until very recently shows the battle we face

SheriffLobo
03-08-2013, 10:10 AM
The rule that hacks me off is the fact you get booted, get a free kick and then get treatment....fair enough! But why does your team have to suffer and play with a man down until the ref let's you back on?

I would have a rule to either the player who committed the foul had to go off too for at least the same time period or a sin bin if the foul merits a yellow.

I mean last season if sparky got treatment he would have to go off and he took our free kicks so we were penalised twice for someone hurting him?!

J-C
03-08-2013, 10:18 AM
The rule that says you have to go off the field after treatment till the ref lets you back on is a nonsense.

Also we could have a separate time keeper like rugby league, the amount of time wasted in a game is ridiculous, I'm sure I read some where that around 60-70 mins football actually gets played, the rest is balls getting retrieved, disputes, treatment etc.

The ref should have the wee white line painter that's getting used abroad at the moment to mark the 10 yard line for free kicks, a player crosses that line, he's booked.

NAE NOOKIE
03-08-2013, 10:42 AM

:top marks

Scott Allan Key
03-08-2013, 10:57 AM
Bring back the European Cup-Winners' Cup, allow e.g. League Cup and Scottish Cup winners, etc to enter. It's no more difficult to win, in fact it may be harder to win League Cup, so only fair.

Newry Hibs
03-08-2013, 10:58 AM
The rule that says you have to go off the field after treatment till the ref lets you back on is a nonsense.

Agree it's daft.

I think it was brought in though to stop the time wasters who weren't injured.

I would have the 4th official controlling substitutions. As long as he gets the nod from the ref to allwo a sub, then they don't need to stop at all. Drives me mad seeing players pretend to jog off the pitch but actually be slower than walking.

MyJo
03-08-2013, 11:24 AM
Only allow team captains to speak to referees, if there is any dissent or crowding of the referee after a decision he allows the opposing team to move the free kick 10 yards towards goal.

Do away with "injury time" and stop the clock for injuries & treatment (but not for corners, penalties & free-kicks etc)

Introduce a sin-bin system where players can be sent off the pitch for 5 or 10 minutes if they have already been booked and commit another foul instead of giving them a red card, next foul after that gets a red.

Change the substitute rules from 3 per match to 2 unrestricted subs + unlimited u-21 players.

Allow video replays to be used on a challenge system similar to tennis where each team has 3 challenges per match to ask for decisions to be reviewed by the referee to decide if it was correct or not. For things like penalty awards, balls going out of play, over the goal-line, handball etc.

Waxy
03-08-2013, 11:38 AM
I think the penalty kick has become/probably always has been unfair.Penalties given for a foul just inside the box way in the corners when there's little chance of a goal?
these should be free kicks inside the box.
Penalties should only be given if the next touch of the ball would have resulted in a shot on goal.
The ref/linesman would determine this.

Jack
03-08-2013, 01:26 PM
I would like to see the rules changed so that fair play was rewarded in much the same way as foul play is penalised. That is in the same way a player racks up points for yellow and red (not including the automatic part of the suspension) cards then they would be rewarded for not picking up cards per match i.e. minus half a penalty point a match.

I would also like to see an automatic 2 match ban for a red card in league matches. The offending player misses the next match as they do now and would then miss out on the next match against the club they were sent off against. I do think its rather unfair that some random club gets the benefit of a player being suspended for being sent off the week before.

Makaveli
03-08-2013, 01:36 PM
Going somewhat against the grain, I think the game of football is fine as it is.

I have zero appetite for stopping the clock, rolling subs etc. If I wanted football to be more like rugby or ice hockey I would watch those sports.

Hibercelona
03-08-2013, 03:38 PM
Going somewhat against the grain, I think the game of football is fine as it is.

I have zero appetite for stopping the clock, rolling subs etc. If I wanted football to be more like rugby or ice hockey I would watch those sports.

This.

I only wish they would make up their minds with the offside rule. It's no wonder officials get confused when making offside calls.

Haymaker
03-08-2013, 03:47 PM
I reckon the transfer window should be open from the final game to the first game of the new season. You get all your signings in and thats your team for the season. No january spending spree, coach and develop what you have.

Scouse Hibee
03-08-2013, 06:14 PM

I tend to agree with your sentiment, however the game and the manner in which it is played has changed so much that the rules need to evolve with it IMO.

fatbloke
03-08-2013, 06:37 PM
This would be great, but money talks and will never happen.

Same with all Cup Competitions, eg our league cup. All in a hat, crack on!

J
FIFA and UEFA are not interested in the 'wee' clubs as it were. I recall getting into a conversation in Cyprus with a guy who was a high ranking UEFA official. when we got on the subject of which team we all supported when I said Hibernian he thought we played in Wales. He had heard of Rangers Celtic Aberdeen and Dundee United and thought there were only 10 full time professional teams in Scotland. 99.9% of clubs in the football world are totally ignored and unknown by the bigwigs who if they got their way would operate a World Championship involving 20 teams and disband the rest as being of no financial interest to them. This is the main reason I take little or no interest outside the domestic competitions. moan over:greengrin

RyeSloan
03-08-2013, 10:54 PM

Pretty much agree.

Would like a maximum time to tke direct free kicks though...the time wasted lining up a wall and all the farting about that goes on only to see the attacker smack it into the wall or blaze it over the top is a nonsense.

As for mimicking rugby...the union games has sooo many rules they struggle to actually play the game.

sahib
03-08-2013, 11:25 PM

Feel free to add...

The frequent rule changing in rugby is because it is a contrived and fundamentally flawed game:wink:. Fitba's main problem is the offside rule, really.

Purple & Green
04-08-2013, 08:26 AM
Two things I'd change in Scotland as other countries already do this:

Firstly, where a game is abandoned then its continued from the point it was stopped with the same players not replayed with different players with the bookings allowed to stand from the first game.

Secondly, players can't play for two teams in the same cup competition season - cup tied. I'd extend this to the league so that anyone who plays eg for any spl team between now and the end of August then can't be signed by celtic later this month or in January.

Is there a limit on the number of over 20/21s a club can register? If not there should be - 20 over 20s is plenty.

Danderhall Hibs
04-08-2013, 08:36 AM
Two things I'd change in Scotland as other countries already do this:

Firstly, where a game is abandoned then its continued from the point it was stopped with the same players not replayed with different players with the bookings allowed to stand from the first game.

How does that work if a player is injured before the abandoned game can be restarted?

Purple & Green
04-08-2013, 09:27 AM
How does that work if a player is injured before the abandoned game can be restarted?

Afaik they play the game on the first available day but I guess they would simply make a sub?