View Full Version : Chic Charnley

Hibs History
01-08-2013, 06:36 PM
New Player profile from the Hibernian Historical Trust

http://www.hibshistoricaltrust.org.uk/player-profiles/item/149-chic-charnley

Please post your memories of Chic below

Woody70x2
01-08-2013, 06:37 PM
Damn... Got excited there as half expected another experienced signing there :greengrin

SouthMoroccoStu
01-08-2013, 07:43 PM
Damn... Got excited there as half expected another experienced signing there :greengrin

:greengrin

Fantastic character

Not many of his kind left

wookie70
01-08-2013, 07:44 PM
great read and loved him as a player

LongshanksED
01-08-2013, 07:55 PM
Didn't he chase a guy in Glasgow once with a sword? Per hibs career

Pretty Boy
01-08-2013, 07:55 PM
As mentioned in the arcticle his warm up was something to behold.

If he had have been a bit more sensible and professional he could have had a great career.

Started like a train at Hibs and seemed to be man of the match every week for a while, started to fade quite badly and was probably for the best when he was moved on.

duncandonuts36
01-08-2013, 08:01 PM
Never knew about the frozen chickens!
Great character :thumbsup:

Sweet Left Peg
01-08-2013, 08:16 PM
A cult hero if ever there was one. Am I right in recalling that his goal vs Alloa was with his right foot? A wee bit hazy with that one and I have never seen any TV footage of it.

beensaidbefore
01-08-2013, 08:24 PM
Didn't he chase a guy in Glasgow once with a sword? Per hibs career

Legend has it, it was the guy who had the sword, and CC chased him!?:confused:

NORTHERNHIBBY
01-08-2013, 08:30 PM
When he played his last game for Partick Thistle against us at ER (0-1) he came on for the last 10 minutes or so shuffling and hugely overweight, and folk thought it was Mixu.

Oh, and that goal against Celtc.

Eyrie
01-08-2013, 08:33 PM
A cult hero if ever there was one. Am I right in recalling that his goal vs Alloa was with his right foot? A wee bit hazy with that one and I have never seen any TV footage of it.
I think so, and didn't the Alloa goalkeeper have the unfortunate name of "Butter"?

When he played his last game for Partick Thistle against us at ER (0-1) he came on for the last 10 minutes or so shuffling and hugely overweight, and folk thought it was Mixu.

Oh, and that goal against Celtc.
To be fair, it was a very good assist by Larsson.

JAY-ESS GREEN
01-08-2013, 08:42 PM
Dont know if its the goal you mention but did he not put one in from halfway line?

Dunderhall
01-08-2013, 08:47 PM
Dont know if its the goal you mention but did he not put one in from halfway line?
Yes, his was up the slope against Alloa, closely followed by Pat McGinley against killie.

Miguel
01-08-2013, 10:13 PM
Yes, his was up the slope against Alloa, closely followed by Pat McGinley against killie.
That was the game the guy ran on the park and laid flowers on the centre spot.

YehButNoBut
01-08-2013, 10:24 PM
Undoubtedly my best memory of Chic was that goal against Celtic in what was Larsson's first game for them, he provided a nice pass for the goal. :greengrin

Forgot Chic had also hit the bar with a great effort before he scored.

Covered here in the first 1:42 of this clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wqn5V9PJSeY

stokesmessiah
01-08-2013, 10:28 PM
Undoubtedly my best memory of Chic was that goal against Celtic in what was Larsson's first game for them, he provided a nice pass for the goal. :greengrin

My first ever game.

Robinho08
01-08-2013, 10:39 PM

McGinley's effort was inside the Killie half, still hell of a goal though. :-D

Dunderhall
02-08-2013, 10:23 AM
McGinley's effort was inside the Killie half, still hell of a goal though. :-D
I seem to recall Chic pointing that out to him at the time.

SouthamptonHibs
03-08-2013, 12:00 AM
Good player in patches, some decent goals and a bubbly personality, but he got us relegated as part of Duffy' s flopps, no legend from me. Decent yes but legend no

.Sean.
03-08-2013, 02:26 AM
Always remember my old man was a 'Carlsberg Penalty King' the day he scored that winner against Celtic, he won a comp in the EN and was wined and dined for the day aswell as hitting pens at half time towards the FF stand. He was out with Charnley after the game and funnily enough he cannae mind much of it :greengrin Got the full Sky programme taped somewhere.

.Sean.
03-08-2013, 02:28 AM
Good player in patches, some decent goals and a bubbly personality, but he got us relegated as part of Duffy' s flopps, no legend from me. Decent yes but legend no
:agree:

whereswallace?
03-08-2013, 06:57 PM
When Hibs trained at Wardie playing fields I would go along when I was off school. One day I was there it was blowing a gale and pouring down, the players were going back into the changing rooms for soup I think and Charnley shouted over "wee man gees a shot o yer bike" with this I gave him it and he gave Pat Mcginlay a backie up to the changing rooms leaving me to walk up in the rain!! :grr::greengrin Always a good laugh and took time out to speak to me anytime I was there and have a wee kickabout.

JustSimplyHibs
04-08-2013, 06:15 AM

I miss Pat McGinlay... Quality player

JimBHibees
04-08-2013, 08:37 AM
Without being funny does Charnley merit this accolade from Hibs, whatever the accolade is :greengrin

Decent start then quite appalling in Duffy's last 5 months or so ending in a humiliating relegation.

ian cruise
04-08-2013, 08:47 AM

I'm sure after Beckham scored his famous Man U goal from the halfway line Chic was in the papers pointing out he'd scored from there half a dozen times, or something like that anyway.