PDA

View Full Version : FC Minsk vs St Johnstone

Sylar
01-08-2013, 04:12 PM
Not long underway and 0-0.

Apparently Saints have 2, yes 2, travelling fans at the game!

The BBC commentary is painful...

SteveHFC
01-08-2013, 04:14 PM

Can't get the radio link to work :(

Sylar
01-08-2013, 04:17 PM
Can't get the radio link to work :(

You're lucky! :greengrin

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/scotland/21267690

That one is working perfectly fine for me.

Gettin' Auld
01-08-2013, 04:17 PM

Hopefully they don't hate each other. :greengrin

Hermit Crab
01-08-2013, 04:18 PM

No wonder. You need a visa to get there. Only had a week to organise it.

Sylar
01-08-2013, 04:20 PM

One of them was apparently a local who happens to be a Saints fan (no idea if he's an ex-pat or not...BBC Sportsound didn't specify :greengrin)

There's apparently c.1000 people there and the atmosphere is stony silence.

Praise for Wotherspoon and his dead-ball deliveries early on.

Jones28
01-08-2013, 04:21 PM
Surely this must be a perfect example of why a regionilised Europa league is the way forward?

Hermit Crab
01-08-2013, 04:22 PM
One of them was apparently a local who happens to be a Saints fan (no idea if he's an ex-pat or not...BBC Sportsound didn't specify :greengrin)

There's apparently c.1000 people there and the atmosphere is stony silence.

Praise for Wotherspoon and his dead-ball deliveries early on.

Fair play to him for going. Would have been able to go with the team surely??

Bet cosgrove isn't there.

JimBHibees
01-08-2013, 04:23 PM

You had to apply for a visa prior to the previous rounds tie so no chance of any support.

Sylar
01-08-2013, 04:24 PM
You had to apply for a visa prior to the previous rounds tie so no chance of any support.

Didn't realise that Jim - cheers :agree:

Hermit Crab
01-08-2013, 04:26 PM

That's pish eh.

Gettin' Auld
01-08-2013, 04:27 PM
Didn't Mad Vlad own one of the Minsk football teams?

trev the hat
01-08-2013, 04:30 PM

You also had to give 5 days notice of intent to travel for visa.

Sylar
01-08-2013, 04:32 PM
FFS Jim Spence it was Rosenborg not bloody Trondheim Saints put out in the last round!!!!

JimBHibees
01-08-2013, 04:32 PM
Didn't realise that Jim - cheers :agree:

Steve Brown was outlining that on the radio prior to last Thursdays games.

Purehibee_MYB
01-08-2013, 04:48 PM
"Paddy Cregg has been an unstoppable force of nature in the middle of the park. He's into everything."

Another player leaving Hibs and playing better! I don't know why this always happens

marinello59
01-08-2013, 04:51 PM
"Paddy Cregg has been an unstoppable force of nature in the middle of the park. He's into everything."

Another player leaving Hibs and playing better! I don't know why this always happens

Because they aren't playing better? We are to quick to dismiss good solid SPL players as not good enough for Hibs. Yet they are good enough for the club we sign them from and the club we move them on to. Funny that isn't it?

Baldy Foghorn
01-08-2013, 04:56 PM

We all dream of a team of Paddy Cregg's:whistle:

Frazerbob
01-08-2013, 05:00 PM
Having been to Minsk it would have been near impossible to get a Belarus visa in the week between beating Rosenborg and today......and expensive.

Edit just read the previous post re visas

Purehibee_MYB
01-08-2013, 05:01 PM
Because they aren't playing better? We are to quick to dismiss good solid SPL players as not good enough for Hibs. Yet they are good enough for the club we sign them from and the club we move them on to. Funny that isn't it?

I know what you mean. It was the same with John Rankin.. People quick to get on his back. Not the first and certainly won't be the last

kdhibees1
01-08-2013, 05:24 PM
1 nil saints, wow!

Hermit Crab
01-08-2013, 05:24 PM
1-0 saints

BOB MARLEYS DUG
01-08-2013, 05:26 PM
Go on St Johnstone!

Sir David Gray
01-08-2013, 05:27 PM
Good luck to them, hope they make it to the group stages.

kdhibees1
01-08-2013, 05:28 PM
Listening to the game on the radio, sounds like they very much deserve the lead.

MyJo
01-08-2013, 05:30 PM
I know what you mean. It was the same with John Rankin.. People quick to get on his back. Not the first and certainly won't be the last

I have little doubt that Wotherspoon will be the next one on that list :agree:

a more than capable SPL player at right midfield where we are currently short of options but once he had been blacklisted by the fans there was no going back for him. He will do well at St Johnstone.

Andy74
01-08-2013, 05:34 PM

Perhaps they were actually doing just as well here but we didn't quite see it? We do tend to talk up what people do at other clubs though so there's a bit of that too.

We are a bigger club than these other ones with more fans and more expectations.

Teapot
Good luck to them, hope they make it to the group stages.

If they are to make the group stages, with their small squad, their league form will suffer badly. This can only be good for us.

Sir David Gray
I see that's the second team in a row that St Johnstone has played who are well into their league season.

DAVE1875
01-08-2013, 05:35 PM
1 - 0 St. Johnstone

Spike Mandela
01-08-2013, 05:36 PM
Can't we just accept that currently St Johnstone have a much better team than us.

rcarter1
01-08-2013, 05:37 PM
When the Saints go marchin in! I support them now (in Europe). :flag:

Alfred E Newman
01-08-2013, 05:38 PM
Listening to the game on the radio, sounds like they very much deserve the lead.

Steven McLean the scorer. Hibs supporter and seemingly desperate to sign for Hibs before being snapped up by St Johnstone.

Andy74
01-08-2013, 05:40 PM
Can't we just accept that currently St Johnstone have a much better team than us.

We will see when we play the same teams or each other.

I think Malmo had a particular style that fitted with us not being able to handle it given the players we had out.

rosenorg are more of a slow, phyiscal team and I'm not sure about this lot.

kdhibees1
01-08-2013, 05:49 PM
Fantastic result!!

Craig_in_Prague
01-08-2013, 06:03 PM

despite taken 2 of their players as well.

very well run club that have punched above their weight for several years now.
they are always well drilled and never seem to lose badly when they do lose.

sad that very small clubs can outshine Hibs.

bigwheel
01-08-2013, 06:07 PM
If they get through is that them in the league stages ?? That would be a fantastic achievement!

HH81
01-08-2013, 06:07 PM
Is it full time?

kaimendhibs
01-08-2013, 06:09 PM
Full time, saintees won 1-0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hermit Crab
01-08-2013, 06:09 PM
Is it full time?

Yes ft. 0-1 saints

lugz
01-08-2013, 06:10 PM
If they get through is that them in the league stages ?? That would be a fantastic achievement!

One more round after this I think.

Purehibee_MYB
01-08-2013, 06:11 PM

One more round after this one. But nonetheless its still superb for them

bigwheel
01-08-2013, 06:14 PM
One more round after this one. But nonetheless its still superb for them

It's is indeed ...great to see ...an inspiration , and good for Scottish Football after our debacle

Dalianwanda
01-08-2013, 06:16 PM

It doesn't, its happened now & again. We just don't bother with the ones that are just as pish with other clubs :cb

Stevie Reid
01-08-2013, 06:20 PM
despite taken 2 of their players as well.

very well run club that have punched above their weight for several years now.
they are always well drilled and never seem to lose badly when they do lose.

sad that very small clubs can outshine Hibs.

What they have achieved since their return to the SPL in 2009 is superb, but they did have 7 seasons in the First Division between 2002-09. The have a small, patient fan base and play without the kind of pressure and scrutiny that Hibs are constantly under.

NAE NOOKIE
01-08-2013, 06:24 PM
Well done St Johnstone .... Twice scored an away goal in Europe without conceding, at least one team seems to know how to go about things with making themselves and Scottish football into a laughing stock.

Craig_in_Prague
01-08-2013, 06:31 PM
What they have achieved since their return to the SPL in 2009 is superb, but they did have 7 seasons in the First Division between 2002-09. The have a small, patient fan base and play without the kind of pressure and scrutiny that Hibs are constantly under.

here we go again, Hibs are pish coz of some impatient fans..
Hibs fans have been very supportive (considering the crap served up) over the last few years and even created good atmospheres compared to other sets of fans home and away.

Saints missed out by a point I think one year and also another on last day of season when Gretna went up, so they have been decent going further back... even against us in 2007 in the semi...
I have Saintees supporting mate and he said they have many grumpy impatient fans..its not just Hibs ! All about attitude and prepared to fight. Hibs are too spineless, fur coat - no knickers.football club.. nowt to do with the (good) support.

Stevie Reid
01-08-2013, 06:32 PM
here we go again, Hibs are pish coz of some impatient fans..
Hib fans have been very supportive (considering the crap served up) over the last few years and even created good atmospheres compared to other sets of fans home and away.

Saints missed out by a point I think one year and also another on last day of season when Gretna went up, so they have been decent going further back... even against us in 2007 in the semi...
I have Saintees supporting mate and he said they have many grumpy impatient fans..its not just Hibs ! All about attitude and prepared to fight. Hibs are too spineless, fur coat - no knickers.football club.. nowt to do with the (good) support.

At no point did I say that Hibs are pish due to impatient fans, or anything like it.

Craig_in_Prague
01-08-2013, 06:35 PM
At no point did I say that Hibs are pish due to impatient fans, or anything like it.

St J have a 'patient fan base'.... assumed you meant Hibs dont.

Hardly, anything like it.

davhibby
01-08-2013, 06:36 PM
Sadly there is no chance of them winning the next round but if they can get that far and hopefully Motherwell can too then that would be great for Scottish football

Sir David Gray
01-08-2013, 06:37 PM

They would still have a play off round to get through and I really can't see them getting through that one as there's some seriously good teams entering at that stage, including teams dropping out of the Champions League third qualifying stage.

It would give them a huge pay day though and it could be a tie against the likes of Tottenham which would give their players a huge platform to show what they can do.

Stevie Reid
01-08-2013, 06:41 PM
St J have a 'patient fan base'.... assumed you meant Hibs dont.

Hardly, anything like it.

My post contained everything I wanted to say, and simply outlined the different pressures on the club.

If Hibs ever spent 7 years in the First Division it would be disastrous.

DH1875
01-08-2013, 06:46 PM

Good god no :brickwall. Are they better than us, YES. Should we accept it, NO. It should never ever be acceptable and the day that it is, is the day we should all just jack it in.

HUTCHYHIBBY
01-08-2013, 06:59 PM
Good god no :brickwall. Are they better than us, YES. Should we accept it, NO. It should never ever be acceptable and the day that it is, is the day we should all just jack it in.

Quite right too. Theres too big a percentage of our support that has become submissive as to the heights we should be aiming for. Seemingly top of the bottom 6 last season means we are work in progress! There was no newco and the worst Hearts team for years, we still couldnae finish in the top half of the league.

neilmartinrocks
01-08-2013, 07:09 PM
Sadly there is no chance of them winning the next round but if they can get that far and hopefully Motherwell can too then that would be great for Scottish football

Interesting fact...the saints are unbeaten at home in european competition.

Stevie Reid
01-08-2013, 07:14 PM
Quite right too. Theres too big a percentage of our support that has become submissive as to the heights we should be aiming for. Seemingly top of the bottom 6 last season means we are work in progress! There was no newco and the worst Hearts team for years, we still couldnae finish in the top half of the league.

As has been pointed out by many posters, NO ONE on this board has ever claimed that finishing 7th in the SPL should be acceptable for Hibs under normal circumstances.

The point people have made, including myself many times, is that 7th place CAN be an acceptable stopping point on the way to further improvement given that we finished 11th and narrowly avoided relegation the previous year - but only IF we continue to improve. If that's as good as it gets for Fenlon it is obviously completely unacceptable, and you will not find anyone thinking differently.

The energy and desire I have to defend Pat on here has been practically non existent since last Thursday, but some of the utter nonsense coming out about fans 'accepting mediocrity' is insulting pish.

Spike Mandela
01-08-2013, 07:15 PM

Hence the word currently.:rolleyes:

DH1875
01-08-2013, 08:51 PM
As has been pointed out by many posters, NO ONE on this board has ever claimed that finishing 7th in the SPL should be acceptable for Hibs under normal circumstances.

The point people have made, including myself many times, is that 7th place CAN be an acceptable stopping point on the way to further improvement given that we finished 11th and narrowly avoided relegation the previous year - but only IF we continue to improve. If that's as good as it gets for Fenlon it is obviously completely unacceptable, and you will not find anyone thinking differently.

The energy and desire I have to defend Pat on here has been practically non existent since last Thursday, but some of the utter nonsense coming out about fans 'accepting mediocrity' is insulting pish.

Don't know about all that but I've had someone tell me a few times now that us making semi finals is a big achievement for us :paranoid:

DH1875
01-08-2013, 08:52 PM
Hence the word currently.:rolleyes:

You can roll your eyes all you want but I CURRENTLY won't and never will accept that St Johnstone are better than us.

SteveHFC
01-08-2013, 11:19 PM
http://vimeo.com/71513723 :faf:

Jim44
01-08-2013, 11:40 PM
You can roll your eyes all you want but I CURRENTLY won't and never will accept that St Johnstone are better than us.

Actions and results speak louder than words, expectations and aspirations. Sometimes you've just got to swallow the medicine.

Purehibee_MYB
02-08-2013, 01:48 AM
http://vimeo.com/71513723 :faf:

Ha he's quite the character that Millar

Orourke73
02-08-2013, 05:50 AM
Great result for saints last night, genuinely delighted for a couple of Perth pack i know.
When's it gonna be our turn again? It's been 20 yrs at least. Videoton?
Even that was long overdue

Alfred E Newman
02-08-2013, 05:57 AM
Actions and results speak louder than words, expectations and aspirations. Sometimes you've just got to swallow the medicine.

Yes Jim. It's shows how far the club has sunk in recent years when wish we could aspire to the level of St Johnstone.