PDA

View Full Version : Edinburgh Select

Miguel
01-08-2013, 11:18 AM
Anyone know much about the Edinburgh Select, as in when it began and ended. Slightly before my time, but have seen some old programmes for games and it seemed to be a fairly big thing. Couldn't happen these days!

ano hibby
01-08-2013, 11:46 AM
Dont know an awful lot, others will know much more.
This was Hibs & Hearts coming together to raise funds (for charity i think) usually in a pre season game. Matches were year about ER then Tynecastle with 5/6 players from each side year about. Think it started during WW2 when they played an RAF X1 (1943). After war late 40's through 50's i think they played games most years against English sides: Newcastle, Liverpool, Burnley, Portsmouth etc.
Think it may have stopped in the 60s and since then Hibs/Hearts combined only occasionally.
All above may well stand to be corrected.:greengrin

As you say slightly difficult to see happening these days:greengrin

Part/Time Supporter
01-08-2013, 12:12 PM
Originally the concept of an Edinburgh select football team in football would be similar to its namesake in rugby (before rugby turned professional in the mid-1990s). Edinburgh would play matches against touring sides and against the other select teams in Scotland. It gave the national team selectors (no manager in those days) an opportunity to see the better players playing with each other and against good opposition, rather than being scattered amongst the club sides.

Post war, as said above, it was more of an occasional charitable thing.

Tom Hart RIP
01-08-2013, 12:14 PM
I remember going to tynecastle to watch edinburgh select v Munich in the seventies. Still have the programme somewhere.
Think we spent game booing hearts players and their fans did likewise with ours. Don't remember the score.

Leith_Hibee
01-08-2013, 12:49 PM
I remember going to tynecastle to watch edinburgh select v Munich in the seventies. Still have the programme somewhere.
Think we spent game booing hearts players and their fans did likewise with ours. Don't remember the score.

EDINBURGH SELECT 2 BAYERN MUNICH 1 - August 1985

E. SELECT SCORERS: Irvine (50'), Robertson (72')
BM SCORER: Mathy (56')

ES: Rough (Smith), Kidd (Sneddon), Munro (Whittaker), Levein, Rae, Black, Mackay, Durie (Colquhoun), Irvine, Robertson, McBride (Lawrence)

BM: Plaff, Winklofer, Plugher, Eder, Beierlorzeri, Augenthaler, Lerby, Mathy, Nachtweih, Hoeness, Rummenigge, Wolfarth

Att: 7,669

Andy74
01-08-2013, 02:25 PM
Now just known as Hibs.

HIBERNIAN-0762
01-08-2013, 06:08 PM
Now just known as Hibs.

:greengrin

:thumbsup:

:agree:

Torto7062
01-08-2013, 07:15 PM
:faf::thumbsup::faf::giruy:
Now just known as Hibs.

HUTCHYHIBBY
01-08-2013, 07:20 PM

ES: Rough (Smith), Kidd (Sneddon), Munro (Whittaker), Levein, Rae, Black, Mackay, Durie (Colquhoun), Irvine, Robertson, McBride (Lawrence)

BM: Plaff, Winklofer, Plugher, Eder, Beierlorzeri, Augenthaler, Lerby, Mathy, Nachtweih, Hoeness, Rummenigge, Wolfarth

Poor turn out considering some of the names in the Bayern team.

Part/Time Supporter
01-08-2013, 07:38 PM

To give Munich a fair chance they really should have allowed them to pick players from 1860 as well as Bayern.

:wink:

hibee19
01-08-2013, 08:08 PM
Now just known as Hibs.

Bit harsh on Spartans.

Miguel
01-08-2013, 10:16 PM
We're Bayern invited because of the twinning link with Munich? Think that was the original idea for the Festival Cup, that we'd get teams from twin cities. Never happened.

LaMotta
01-08-2013, 11:28 PM
What colour were the strips???

Bishop Hibee
02-08-2013, 12:36 AM
I was at the game and I'm sure Edinburgh played in black and white which are the city colours.