PDA

View Full Version : SDL march on the same day as we play Dundee United at home

hibs0666
01-08-2013, 10:43 AM
SDL march on 17 August down the Royal Mile looks like it will be approved. :confused:

Not sure what time the procession of pea-brains is planned for but will certainly cause some disruption if you travel round that way.

Baader
01-08-2013, 10:54 AM
SDL march on 17 August down the Royal Mile looks like it will be approved. :confused:

Not sure what time the procession of pea-brains is planned for but will certainly cause some disruption if you travel round that way.

Will just look like Rangers are playing us at Easter Road again...

Keith_M
01-08-2013, 11:03 AM
Wahey, I'm off to book the flights!

:take that

:yw:

:lolrangers:

AngusHibby
01-08-2013, 11:06 AM
Won't even be the SDL, just the EDL on tour. During the festival as well, this has to be the worst timing ever.

Keith_M
01-08-2013, 11:08 AM
Won't even be the SDL, just the EDL on tour. During the festival as well, this has to be the worst timing ever.

Nice memory of Edinburgh for the tourists.

Scouse Hibee
01-08-2013, 11:20 AM
Just another march nothing to get excited about really.

scoopyboy
01-08-2013, 11:26 AM
Did we not get a match moved a couple of seasons ago because of a similar march?

Aberdeen from a Saturday to a Sunday?

frazeHFC
01-08-2013, 11:31 AM
Did we not get a match moved a couple of seasons ago because of a similar march?

Rings a bell. Hope it doesn't happen this time as it could be 3 Sundays to start the season!

hibee_girl
01-08-2013, 12:03 PM

:agree: 2 seasons ago in September

Gus
01-08-2013, 12:16 PM

Fact or Fiction :confused:

Unless of course you are part of one said groups.

TAHibby
01-08-2013, 12:17 PM
Will have to sidestep through the delightful chaps... :rolleyes:

AngusHibby
01-08-2013, 12:28 PM
Fact or Fiction :confused:

Unless of course you are part of one said groups.

I was implying there are far less Scottish people with right-wing tendencies... Also judging by the last march there seemed to be more EDL than SDL.

I am also a massive racist, you got me! :na na:

Hibernia Na Eir
01-08-2013, 12:59 PM
could be fun up Tron again (or Kilderkin) ;)

Keith_M
01-08-2013, 01:00 PM
Anybody fancy joining me in a Corteo down the High street before the game :wink:

NOLA
01-08-2013, 01:00 PM
Height of the tourist season and the council are approving this march? Surely the polis have a say in this, can't see them being too happy with this crap

beensaidbefore
01-08-2013, 01:10 PM
Whether you agree with their stance or not, condemning the opinion of those you disgree with makes you no better than them.

already folk on here are spouting facts and figures about who they are, how narrow minded etc etc, but they are entitled to their opinion just as those opposed to it are theirs.

I for one am not a supporter of SDL/EDL etc, but to make the sweeping generalisation that all of these people are morons with only a few brain cells amongst them, in many ways is akin to their uninformed arguments and standpoints.

If you are allowed to have an orange/gay/anti-racism march then you cannot say these guys shouldn't. Unless of course we take a facist stance...

wearethehibs
01-08-2013, 01:21 PM
Whether you agree with their stance or not, condemning the opinion of those you disgree with makes you no better than them.

already folk on here are spouting facts and figures about who they are, how narrow minded etc etc, but they are entitled to their opinion just as those opposed to it are theirs.

I for one am not a supporter of SDL/EDL etc, but to make the sweeping generalisation that all of these people are morons with only a few brain cells amongst them, in many ways is akin to their uninformed arguments and standpoints.

If you are allowed to have an orange/gay/anti-racism march then you cannot say these guys shouldn't. Unless of course we take a facist stance...

They are all morons with only a few brain cells between them

Jones28
01-08-2013, 01:21 PM

It's not about what they're marching for (although I disagree with them), it's merely the timing of it.

beensaidbefore
01-08-2013, 01:28 PM

have you ever heard the saying..it takes one to know one?:greengrin

Keith_M
01-08-2013, 01:30 PM
Let's get the facts straight, the march is about hatred, pure and simple. They are being allowed to march through a busy High St, during the Festival and on the same day as a major sporting event.

In addition, whether anyone agrees or not, the march WILL be met with a counter demonstration.

To allow the march on that day and time is utter stupidity, given the context of the march.

hibs0666
01-08-2013, 01:37 PM

The SDL is a hate group. A hatred of others is not a justification for a right to march IMHO.

beensaidbefore
01-08-2013, 01:40 PM
Let's get the facts straight, the march is about hatred, pure and simple. They are being allowed to march through a busy High St, during the Festival and on the same day as a major sporting event.

In addition, whether anyone agrees or not, the march WILL be met with a counter demonstration.

To allow the march on that day and time is utter stupidity, given the context of the march.

To be fair, thats my point, lets get the facts straight. There are a great number of people who will condem the ideas of SDL/BNP etc on the basis they are against the ideology of the organisation, regardless if they are making a valid point or not. There are more people in this country who are not in favour of current immigration poilcy than supporters of SDL for example, but dont say anything as they are branded Nazis/narrowminded etc..

Is it ok to have a counter march against gay pride march? Would those couter marching be accused of narrowmindedness? Or do your feet need to be planted firmly in the moral high-ground before you can counter march?

hibs0666
01-08-2013, 01:57 PM
To be fair, thats my point, lets get the facts straight. There are a great number of people who will condem the ideas of SDL/BNP etc on the basis they are against the ideology of the organisation, regardless if they are making a valid point or not. There are more people in this country who are not in favour of current immigration poilcy than supporters of SDL for example, but dont say anything as they are branded Nazis/narrowminded etc..

Is it ok to have a counter march against gay pride march? Would those couter marching be accused of narrowmindedness? Or do your feet need to be planted firmly in the moral high-ground before you can counter march?

Are you advocating that hate-based groups have the automatic right to march?

DaveF
01-08-2013, 02:02 PM

I assume that unless it's a banned organisation then yes, they do have the right to march.

Not many people agreed with this planned march http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8451014.stm but it would have happened had they the bottle to proceed.

Hibernia Na Eir
01-08-2013, 02:04 PM

your now looking increasingly impartial.
care to share all?

hibs0666
01-08-2013, 02:07 PM
I assume that unless it's a banned organisation then yes, they do have the right to march.

Not many people agreed with this planned march http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8451014.stm but it would have happened had they the bottle to proceed.

I think the Wikipedia definition is pretty reasonable here...

A hate group is an organized group or movement that advocates and practices hatred, hostility, or violence towards members of a race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation or other designated sector of society. According to the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), hate groups' "primary purpose is to promote animosity, hostility, and malice against persons belonging to a race, religion, disability, sexual orientation, or ethnicity/national origin which differs from that of the members of the organization."[1] The Southern Poverty Law Center's (SPLC) definition of a "hate group" includes those having beliefs or practices that attack or malign an entire class of people, typically for their immutable characteristics.

Such groups might have the right to march. However, IMHO, such groups should not have the that as an automatic right.

DaveF
01-08-2013, 02:12 PM

A hate group is an organized group or movement that advocates and practices hatred, hostility, or violence towards members of a race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation or other designated sector of society. According to the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), hate groups' "primary purpose is to promote animosity, hostility, and malice against persons belonging to a race, religion, disability, sexual orientation, or ethnicity/national origin which differs from that of the members of the organization."[1] The Southern Poverty Law Center's (SPLC) definition of a "hate group" includes those having beliefs or practices that attack or malign an entire class of people, typically for their immutable characteristics.

Such groups might have the right to march. However, IMHO, such groups should not have the that as an automatic right.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but it would seem like the law does not agree or SDL \ EDL would (hopefully) be on the banned list.

It's such a stupid decision to allow the march in so many ways, it's really going to put Edinburgh on the map for all the wrong reasons.

beensaidbefore
01-08-2013, 02:13 PM

what i am saying is, who decides what is right and what is wrong. The moral entrepreneurs in society?? i hope not.

many people are offended by other aspects of society such as homsexuality, religion, but unless they conform to the current societal opinion they are ridiculed and condemned on forums such as this for being 'filled with hatred' etc etc.

Everyone has the right the their own opinion, whether the majority agrees or not. The fact that many of the followers of this are uneducated white males makes this a far easier bunch of people to condemn.

If they are going bashing people during their march or shouting obscenities then this is an issue. But to attempt to ban it on the basis you dont agreee with their standpoint makes you no better than they are.

beensaidbefore
01-08-2013, 02:18 PM
The SDL is a hate group. A hatred of others is not a justification for a right to march IMHO.

What is the 'hatred' you speak of? The papers say so, David cameron said they are filled with hate...so they must be. evryone of them. even those without the brains to realise what its really about? My point is those jumping to conclusions are just as bad as SDL followers jumping to the conclusion everyone from another country is bad?

beensaidbefore
01-08-2013, 02:21 PM

I agree. where do we draw the line. Gay peoples hatred for the christian church? Should gay people be condemned for attacks on the faiths of others and gay marches banned?

I know its getting daft but it is basically the same thing. Thats the point i was trying to make all along. Whats good for the goose isnt always good for the gander.

hibs0666
01-08-2013, 02:27 PM
What is the 'hatred' you speak of? The papers say so, David cameron said they are filled with hate...so they must be. evryone of them. even those without the brains to realise what its really about? My point is those jumping to conclusions are just as bad as SDL followers jumping to the conclusion everyone from another country is bad?

The hatred I speak of is the SDL's desire to promote animosity and hostility against muslims - it's not rocket science of which we speak. As such the SDL is a hate group and does not IMHO deserve the automatic right to promote that agenda through public marches.

Hibernia Na Eir
01-08-2013, 02:34 PM
The hatred I speak of is the SDL's desire to promote animosity and hostility against muslims - it's not rocket science of which we speak. As such the SDL is a hate group and does not IMHO deserve the automatic right to promote that agenda through public marches.

this.

and, can anyone please explain who, exactly, are these people are "Defending"?
is that not the police or army's game?

AngusHibby
01-08-2013, 02:35 PM
I'm not against them marching, I just reckon they could try and time it a bit better. It's also as if they are targeting areas which will provide them with little support. Look at the reception Nigel Farage got!

beensaidbefore
01-08-2013, 02:52 PM

I am asking more specifically. what hate, where do you get your info? articles from the sun? BBC? for many of the followers it may be a dislike, or even extreme dislike, but i would willing to bet not everyone on that march is a hate filled moron. Because their opinion may be offensive to others and not popular amongst many, IMO they are not peddlers of hate, al least not all of them. Lumping everyone together like that is no better than saying, 'all black people do this' or 'all women think this' just not the way it is.

You are effectively lumping everyone together and tarring them with the same brush...maybe you should attend the march with people who 'hate' and 'condemn' those that have different veiws.

I am playing devlis advocate here but some folk have taken the stance that if it is offnsive it is wrong, unless of course it is a minority group that you find offensive, then shut it and deal with it... is that the way it is??:confused:

beensaidbefore
01-08-2013, 02:55 PM
I'm not against them marching, I just reckon they could try and time it a bit better. It's also as if they are targeting areas which will provide them with little support. Look at the reception Nigel Farage got!

personally i think they are plonkers, not for their beliefs, but for the whole marching thing. what is the point in the modern day of marching down a street with banners etc? That goes for all marchers.

Do you think we could organise a counter-counter march to protest at the pointlessness of protesting?

bigwheel
01-08-2013, 02:58 PM
I am asking more specifically. what hate, where do you get your info? articles from the sun? BBC? for many of the followers it may be a dislike, or even extreme dislike, but i would willing to bet not everyone on that march is a hate filled moron. Because their opinion may be offensive to others and not popular amongst many, IMO they are not peddlers of hate, al least not all of them. Lumping everyone together like that is no better than saying, 'all black people do this' or 'all women think this' just not the way it is.

You are effectively lumping everyone together and tarring them with the same brush...maybe you should attend the march with people who 'hate' and 'condemn' those that have different veiws.

I am playing devlis advocate here but some folk have taken the stance that if it is offnsive it is wrong, unless of course it is a minority group that you find offensive, then shut it and deal with it... is that the way it is??:confused:

An article from a blog.....

The press label the Scottish Defence League and it’s English kin, ‘a far-right group’. When a group attacks a charitable institution as it fundraises on a city centre street that is no longer far-right, it is purely a hate group. On Saturday 19th November 2011 several members of the SDL attacked the collection stall of the Glasgow Palestinian Human Rights Campaign on Buchanan Street, in the middle of the city’s self proclaimed style mile. An act that brings disgrace upon the city and shame upon the vile trolls who express violent contempt for humanitarian efforts.

The SDL, it seems, have no heart and no humanity.

beensaidbefore
01-08-2013, 03:11 PM
An article from a blog.....

The press label the Scottish Defence League and it’s English kin, ‘a far-right group’. When a group attacks a charitable institution as it fundraises on a city centre street that is no longer far-right, it is purely a hate group. On Saturday 19th November 2011 several members of the SDL attacked the collection stall of the Glasgow Palestinian Human Rights Campaign on Buchanan Street, in the middle of the city’s self proclaimed style mile. An act that brings disgrace upon the city and shame upon the vile trolls who express violent contempt for humanitarian efforts.

The SDL, it seems, have no heart and no humanity.

Fair do's. Was it everone from the SDL? are we tarring them all with the same brush? did you hear about the black guy that attacked someone unprovoked? black folk are all the same eh?

hibs0666
01-08-2013, 03:11 PM

I'm not sure why you are taking about individuals here. The council has not had a request from a number of individuals to allow each to march as individuals. It has has a request from the SDL - a group that promotes animosity and hostility towards muslims - to have an organised assembly in Edinburgh.

I'm not against the SDL's right to march because they are offensive to me - I am against its right to assembly on the basis of the agenda of intolerance that it wishes to promote.

Scouse Hibee
01-08-2013, 03:15 PM
FFS There's more action on this thread than there will be at the march, it will pass unnoticed with no fuss.

beensaidbefore
01-08-2013, 03:22 PM
I'm not sure why you are taking about individuals here. The council has not had a request from a number of individuals to allow each to march as individuals. It has has a request from the SDL - a group that promotes animosity and hostility towards muslims - to have an organised assembly in Edinburgh.

I'm not against the SDL's right to march because they are offensive to me - I am against its right to assembly on the basis of the agenda of intolerance that it wishes to promote.

Basically agree with you. My issue is people who are offended about stuff on the basis that they heard somewhere it was offensive, then jump on the bandwagon without knowing very much about what they are talking about. My original comment was to highlight that just because people are offended doesn't mean the other person is 'wrong' for what they think. If those guys werre let to march and everyone ignored them, it would be far more effective than giving the airtime, and having a public debate about the rights and wrongs. The danger is for ever 9 people offended by their messaeg, there is 1 wgho agrees, promoting it potentially increases support as well as hatred.

Ritchie
01-08-2013, 03:33 PM

Hibs will never be involved in a major sporting event. :wink:

Hibernia&Alba
01-08-2013, 04:15 PM
An appropriate day for the club to highlight its anti-racism credentials and our commitment to such initiatives in the game. Hibs against fascism :agree:

Keith_M
01-08-2013, 04:18 PM

I don't give a toss if there is or isn't a counter march to either of those groups! I just said, whether people like it or not, there will be (by past experience).

I also mentioned the raison d'etre of the EDL/SDL is hatred (of Muslims) and you choose to give a counter example of an organisation that does not preach hatred of anyone.

I can't see anywhere anyone mentioned Nazis, so you also win the Godwin's Law prize.

You need to think your replies through a bit better.

RIP
01-08-2013, 05:22 PM
FFS There's more action on this thread than there will be at the march, it will pass unnoticed with no fuss.

The last time I went to meet Fascists in Edinburgh my mate lumped a half-brick at the wee hitler Tyndall and it caught him on the bonce. Didn't see him in Scotland again for a while but in my after demo pint in the Grosvenor Hotel, spotted some weel kent Huns and Jambos having a meeting. Low forehead united.

This is a link to an article - some of the text is corrupt but it's an attempt at balance

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/spl/aberdeen/why-did-the-headless-chicken-cross-the-road-answer-to-punch-a-bnp-leader-though-there-is-a-much-better-way-to-combat-fascism-1.151854

Anyway - I'm away to the dump to collect a few half-bricks :wink:

LancashireHibby
01-08-2013, 05:42 PM
Wasn't there a very low turnout last time so hopefully our game won't be moved to yet another Sunday.

lucky
01-08-2013, 05:46 PM
An appropriate day for the club to highlight its anti-racism credentials and our commitment to such initiatives in the game. Hibs against fascism :agree:

Excellent post. There is no way that this shower should be allowed to march down the Royal Mile spreading their hate.

NAE NOOKIE
01-08-2013, 05:50 PM
Thank goodness for the SDL at least there is somebody out there willing to defend me against ... Urmm, ermm .... who was it again? :confused:

marinello59
01-08-2013, 05:58 PM
I keep getting them mixed up with the SDP and wondering why the prospect of a perambulating zombified Woy Jenkins is causing such outrage. Then I remember that **** David Owen. :grr:

marinello59
01-08-2013, 05:59 PM
Thank goodness for the SDL at least there is somebody out there willing to defend me against ... Urmm, ermm .... who was it again? :confused:

Malmo's strikers? Could they have done a job?

SunshineOnLeith
01-08-2013, 06:10 PM
Difference: When gay groups march, for example, it tends to be because they want to be afforded certain rights that are withheld from them, such as marriage. The EDL/SDL are campaigning for the removal of rights from others, ie immigrants. That is the difference between exercising a right of assembly/protest, and incitement of hatred.

Quite apart from that, this march will attract a couple of hundred attendees, most of whom will be English skinheads. There's no justification for allowing such a small group to cause such major disruption during the most important month of the year for the city.

Pretty Boy
01-08-2013, 06:29 PM
Having this march during the festival makes sense.

Charge all the tourists £5 to watch genuine neanderthals engaging in habitual behaviour. Let them snap a few pictures and tell folk back home of how Edinburgh Zoo allows an exhibit to march the streets for others amusement.

beensaidbefore
01-08-2013, 06:53 PM
Difference: When gay groups march, for example, it tends to be because they want to be afforded certain rights that are withheld from them, such as marriage. The EDL/SDL are campaigning for the removal of rights from others, ie immigrants. That is the difference between exercising a right of assembly/protest, and incitement of hatred.

Quite apart from that, this march will attract a couple of hundred attendees, most of whom will be English skinheads. There's no justification for allowing such a small group to cause such major disruption during the most important month of the year for the city.

i get it. but my point all the way through has been, there are other forms of marches that cause offence to sections of society, but because what they are marching for is more acceptable to mainstream society, the opinions of those they offend are discounted.

Some folk on here are stereotyping everyone attending the march on the basis of news reports, blog posts, hearsay, and the rest, but to say anyone attending this march is this or that, is in reality the same as saying women/gay/black are this or that. Regardless of how offensive their views may be to the majority of us, they are views representitive of a section of society. Should we sensor and condemn them and their views, or educate them? A large majority will probably from the most marginalised parts of society and have a big chip on their shoulder and believe what they are saying and the way they are acting is acceptable. Moving them somewhere else doesn't make them or their opinions go away.

The reason I have used gay as an example is that it is topical in respect to marriage/church. There are probably thousands of Christians deeply offended by this move.

NORTHERNHIBBY
01-08-2013, 06:59 PM
They have the right to be wrong. If what they are doing is against the law then the law will stop them.

LioNeilMessi
01-08-2013, 07:04 PM

Islamic ray guns :agree:

jgl07
01-08-2013, 07:10 PM

Exhibit A:

http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x411/JGL07/CityofEdinburgh-20130527-00019_zpsfe0713fd.jpg (http://s1180.photobucket.com/user/JGL07/media/CityofEdinburgh-20130527-00019_zpsfe0713fd.jpg.html)

Eyrie
01-08-2013, 07:26 PM
We can rule out them defending us from racist bigots.

Keith_M
01-08-2013, 07:36 PM
i get it. but my point all the way through has been, there are other forms of marches that cause offence to sections of society, but because what they are marching for is more acceptable to mainstream society, the opinions of those they offend are discounted.

Some folk on here are stereotyping everyone attending the march on the basis of news reports, blog posts, hearsay, and the rest, but to say anyone attending this march is this or that, is in reality the same as saying women/gay/black are this or that. Regardless of how offensive their views may be to the majority of us, they are views representitive of a section of society. Should we sensor and condemn them and their views, or educate them? A large majority will probably from the most marginalised parts of society and have a big chip on their shoulder and believe what they are saying and the way they are acting is acceptable. Moving them somewhere else doesn't make them or their opinions go away.

The reason I have used gay as an example is that it is topical in respect to marriage/church. There are probably thousands of Christians deeply offended by this move.

Give it a rest. You can't tell the difference between people marching for their rights and people marching to incite hatred.

I've decided to have a march because I'm offended by your idiocy.

Oh and good luck with your educating them. I look forward to hearing how that went.

Scouse Hibee
01-08-2013, 07:39 PM
Exhibit A:

http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x411/JGL07/CityofEdinburgh-20130527-00019_zpsfe0713fd.jpg (http://s1180.photobucket.com/user/JGL07/media/CityofEdinburgh-20130527-00019_zpsfe0713fd.jpg.html)

He must be related to a Jambo.

lucky
01-08-2013, 07:50 PM
This thread makes me proud to be a Hibee, with a few exceptions.

SunshineOnLeith
01-08-2013, 07:58 PM

And gay people marching are campaigning for what rights to be denied to religious people exactly?

beensaidbefore
01-08-2013, 08:05 PM
Give it a rest. You can't tell the difference between people marching for their rights and people marching to incite hatred.

I've decided to have a march because I'm offended by your idiocy.

Oh and good luck with your educating them. I look forward to hearing how that went.

Sorry your missing the point. I suggest you reread the posts.

I think your showing yourself to be lacking intelligence. I suggest you go and read a little sociology and come back to me if your not clear on the topic of discrimination. Start by reading Lipsky's 'Street Level Bureaucracy'.

Eyrie
01-08-2013, 08:10 PM

I think your showing yourself to be lacking intelligence. I suggest you go and read a little sociology and come back to me if your not clear on the topic of discrimination. Start by reading Lipsky's 'Street Level Bureaucracy'.

Your clearly smarter than him :aok:

beensaidbefore
01-08-2013, 08:10 PM
And gay people marching are campaigning for what rights to be denied to religious people exactly?

I dont know, I'm not one of them. I just know they are offended. Are they wrong to be offended?

CropleyWasGod
01-08-2013, 08:11 PM

Anyone seeing the irony? :greengrin

beensaidbefore
01-08-2013, 08:16 PM
Your clearly smarter than him :aok:

Probably not. I would say more reasoned though. I didn't start the mud slinging.

marinello59
01-08-2013, 08:18 PM

if he comes back from that one hit him with your IQ next. :agree:

Eyrie
01-08-2013, 08:29 PM

You and I did. I think it's been missed though by beensaidbefore.

Phil D. Rolls
01-08-2013, 08:49 PM
Let them march, so that people have a fair chance to see whether they agree or disagree with their views. They will provide better comedy than that on the Fringe, and have as much chance of making the break as 99% of the other comedians in town for the day.

Then they can get back on their buses ton Fathell, Lanarkshire, and make up stories about how they brought the city to a standstill. They will be legends in their own world.

Scouse Hibee
01-08-2013, 08:51 PM

:greengrin

Miguel
01-08-2013, 10:29 PM
Let them march, so that people have a fair chance to see whether they agree or disagree with their views. They will provide better comedy than that on the Fringe, and have as much chance of making the break as 99% of the other comedians in town for the day.

Then they can get back on their buses ton Fathell, Lanarkshire, and make up stories about how they brought the city to a standstill. They will be legends in their own world.
Spot on mate...

jgl07
01-08-2013, 10:39 PM

More likely going back to Stoke on Trent and Watford.

Kaff
01-08-2013, 10:51 PM
Obviously its a hot topic but BSBefore stated he's playing devil's advocate, fair enough not many agree with SDL/EDL but he's not asking you to do that. As far as I can see he's pointing out that any legal organisation is entitled to organise a march/demonstration, to do that in this day and age means weeks (months?) of planning and approval so its not like a flash mob appearing and running amok. They've got a point of view and if they think going on a march on the Royal Mile is the best way to project that to the masses then that's their right.

Hibernia&Alba
02-08-2013, 12:43 AM
Exhibit A:

Wow. A Sun reader (possibly a Sun columnist) presumably marching with his carer close by. "No Surrender" says the 5XL t-shirt. I've heard that somewhere before.

RoslinInstHibby
02-08-2013, 10:55 AM
Islamic ray guns :agree:

:top marks

Hibercelona
02-08-2013, 11:20 AM
People are narrow minded when it comes to narrow mindedness, making them narrow minded as well.

:smokin

silverhibee
02-08-2013, 11:38 AM
More likely going back to Stoke on Trent and Watford.

Oldham :wink: :cb

Scott Allan Key
02-08-2013, 11:45 AM

I don't think one can argue that hateful views can ever be eradicated, they are based on ignorance and only can be met by exchange and sharing. It is up to Muslims to change hatred/tolerance into acceptance and engage hospitably with the SDL supporters. It is not a race or immigrants that are being challenged by SDL but a belief system, despite what some might believe. It is not something alien from another geographical land. sz v

Keith_M
02-08-2013, 12:22 PM
Wait, I've got it now, I've worked out who the SDL/EDL are protecting us from!

Zemamma and Benji!

I managed to work that out WITHOUT a degree in sociology and an IQ of 84 :wink:

Bristolhibby
02-08-2013, 12:45 PM
Exhibit A:

Is that Sloth from the Goonies?

"Hey You Guys"!!

John_the_angus_hibby
02-08-2013, 12:49 PM

Not just morons but PROVEN racists. No excuse. No hiding place. Freedom to meet and march is not an excuse for racism or violence. SDL/EDL = ****.

Have a look at this for some examples of who the EDL (and by association the SDL) attract:

http://edlreview.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/edl-is-not-racist.html

AngusHibby
02-08-2013, 02:20 PM

Agreed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFq3v9MWyZY 1:15 to the end is 100% funnier than anything you will see at the fringe

Hibernia Na Eir
02-08-2013, 05:26 PM
how many attending their "demonstration" will have any idea what they are "demonstrating" for?

could they not "demonstrate" in a toilet in a pub? preferably, a pub in Kabul ;)

brian6-2
02-08-2013, 05:51 PM

you are a comedian.

Keith_M
02-08-2013, 06:41 PM
you are a comedian.

Actually, I found it difficult to keep a straight face writing that.

:greengrin

lEXO
02-08-2013, 07:07 PM
They had a demonstration not long ago outside the Scottish Parliament, are they concerned that folk aren't listening to them. Having been unfortunate enough to be in the company of one or two of the sdl bams I can confirm the ones I have met are knuckle scraping bigots who cant have a debate about their views. They can march all they like but I would prefer that there was a cap on how many marches anyone can have in a certain length of time. Also I would rather our police resources weren't taken up with folk who decide to march whenever they want.

Scott Allan Key
02-08-2013, 07:15 PM
Wait, I've got it now, I've worked out who the SDL/EDL are protecting us from!

Zemamma and Benji!

I managed to work that out WITHOUT a degree in sociology and an IQ of 84 :wink:

:greengrin I might turn up alongside their march in my Moroccan 'Jedi' cloak and a fez ala Blazing Saddles sheriff dude in the KKK costume, just to confuse the poor souls.

Miguel
03-08-2013, 12:04 AM
Our ancestors fought and in some cases died to win us the right to freedom of expression. Marching is part of that right. Part of the price we pay for having that right is allowing people we disagree with to express their views. As long as they don't breach the law, they must be permitted to parade. If we restrict the right to march to only certain groups, where would it end? In marches for things we agree with being banned? Probably. Let them match and people who see them in their true light will make up their own minds.

lEXO
03-08-2013, 12:09 AM
Our ancestors fought and in some cases died to win us the right to freedom of expression. Marching is part of that right. Part of the price we pay for having that right is allowing people we disagree with to express their views. As long as they don't breach the law, they must be permitted to parade. If we restrict the right to march to only certain groups, where would it end? In marches for things we agree with being banned? Probably. Let them match and people who see them in their true light will make up their own minds.
A very good post amigo.

Pete
03-08-2013, 12:26 AM

I agree.

Not during the festival though. This is a recipe for trouble and can wait until September.

.Sean.
03-08-2013, 02:31 AM
Oldham :wink: :cb

:whistle: Not read the full thread but won't be the first time there's been a 'Hibs presence' at an SDL rally. This nonsense has eff all to do with Hibs to I fail to see why it's even on the MB.

Pretty Boy
03-08-2013, 04:55 AM
I agree.

Not during the festival though. This is a recipe for trouble and can wait until September.

This.

If the muppets want to march then fine but not during.the festival, what kind of message does that give to tourists about Scotland? The application to march could easily have been declined due to a 'lack of available Police resources'.

Crazy decision.

Holmesdale Hibs
03-08-2013, 05:46 AM

What does Nigal Farage have to do with this? I'm not an avid UKIP supporter by the way, but lets not confuse a legitimate politician who is trying to make his point by being democratically elected with a bunch of racist thugs.

Jack Hackett
03-08-2013, 09:09 AM
The English version of this mob held a march in Brighton in the spring. No more than 150 of them caused massive disruption in the city for 5 or 6 hours, with streets leading onto the route having huge barricades erected across them to prevent access to counter demonstrators. Seafront traders lost a lot of money on what was probably the first fine day of the season. There was such a heavy police presence, that you couldn't actually see the marchers, other than a few flags rising from their 'massed' ranks. Be prepared for similar scenes in Edinburgh

Given Brightons historical opposition to such groups, the only possible reason for marching in this city is to give the 2 fingered salute and wind us up. A pathetic gesture designed to cause as much disruption as possible

Eyrie
03-08-2013, 09:50 AM
I'm generally opposed to marches in the first place for the disruption that they cause to everyone else. It would be better if any legal organisation with legal objectives could apply to hold a rally at a designated spot which would allow both democratic rights and respect those who have no involvement. A counter demonstration could be permitted at an alternative venue but not nearby.

Oh, and I'd charge the policing costs to whoever meets. If you don't have enough support to pay for it, then you don't have enough support to justify a public meeting.

Jack Hackett
03-08-2013, 10:00 AM
I'm generally opposed to marches in the first place for the disruption that they cause to everyone else. It would be better if any legal organisation with legal objectives could apply to hold a rally at a designated spot which would allow both democratic rights and respect those who have no involvement. A counter demonstration could be permitted at an alternative venue but not nearby.

Oh, and I'd charge the policing costs to whoever meets. If you don't have enough support to pay for it, then you don't have enough support to justify a public meeting.

:agree:

A convenient land-fill site or local sewage farm would fit the bill

NAE NOOKIE
03-08-2013, 10:25 AM
The problem with folk like the SDL and their big brother the EDL is that they think that they are facing down an attempt by outside forces to turn the UK into an islamic state run by Sharia law. They see every muslim as a potential suicide bomber.

There are no doubt a minority of muslims out there who would love just that. But it is a tiny minority and of those an even smaller minority who think that blowing stuff up and killing people is the way to achieve this. We have a police force who do a reasonable job of keeping such activities under control and as everybody knows, if you want to get Scottish, English, Welsh or Irish folk do do stuff, the worst way to go about it is to threaten them.

No ... The truth is that for the most part folk who join the likes of the SDL or EDL fall into two categories:

The educated ones who are the kind of folk who think the British Isles should be populated with clear skinned shiny White people who spend Sunday morning sitting in the garden reading stories from the Empire in the Times and listening to Vaughan Williams on the radio as a Spitfire flies majestically past overhead and the smell of the cooking Sunday roast whafts gently from the open kitchen window.

The NEDS who think that Engerlund needs to send the Paki Bstds ( this means any asian obviously ) back where the came from coz they nick all our jobs, which is why I've been on the dole for 10 years ... and they smell as well dont they? In fact anybody who isnt British is pretty suspect. Still I'm going to Benidorm next week where I'll show these greasy Dagos how civilised people behave by getting pissed and spewing the contents of my full English breakfast up in the street as my girlfriend shows everybody her knockers. Rule Britannia ya bass!!!

Which only goes to show that like the muslims we too have a tiny minority of folk we wish would give it a bloody rest.

Still .... even folk like them have a right to march so long as they dont get out of control. That way they can let everybody see what a bunch of tools they are. My only worry would be that any visitor to our beautiful cosmipolitan city would think that they have any sort of support from the Scottish population in general.