PDA

View Full Version : Breaking the trend.. Fenlon must stay

IanM
31-07-2013, 07:22 AM
Time to turn the other cheek.. I don't think i've been on Hibs.net as much as i have the last week, read just about every comment, posted on every poll and anguished at the recent result just like everyone else but I think the board have decided to support Pat and i think we need to do the same, if not for the final time.

he knows himself it's make or break, he knows himself us fans are at breaking point and he knows himself the team needs strengthend, while he's here i think we need to give him one final backing of support and go into Sunday with a lot of forgiving if not forgetting.

I'm happy to forgive Thursday, but not forget it, I'm also happy to forgive the last 2 cup finals but i don't think i'll ever be able to forget them but it's not the first time we've lost finals nor will it be the last and it's not the first time we've lost 7-0 (albeit not at home) but I hope thats the last.

maybe it's age, maybe I've had that much heartache as a hibs fan that i find it easier to grin and bear it but the season starts on Sunday, we're not going to get the 16,000 fans this weekend but I know when the team comes out there won't be any booing (at least not until half time :greengrin) so if we're going to support the team on sunday, why wait till then?

This doesn't really have much of a point rather than how I'm feeling, i'll be there Sunday, I've already text the boys to make sure they're all there, even the ones who said they'd never go back, be nice to think some of you lot will be doing the same

:pfgwa

WellingtonHibby
31-07-2013, 07:26 AM
Time to turn the other cheek.. I don't think i've been on Hibs.net as much as i have the last week, read just about every comment, posted on every poll and anguished at the recent result just like everyone else but I think the board have decided to support Pat and i think we need to do the same, if not for the final time.

he knows himself it's make or break, he knows himself us fans are at breaking point and he knows himself the team needs strengthend, while he's here i think we need to give him one final backing of support and go into Sunday with a lot of forgiving if not forgetting.

I'm happy to forgive Thursday, but not forget it, I'm also happy to forgive the last 2 cup finals but i don't think i'll ever be able to forget them but it's not the first time we've lost finals nor will it be the last and it's not the first time we've lost 7-0 (albeit not at home) but I hope thats the last.

maybe it's age, maybe I've had that much heartache as a hibs fan that i find it easier to grin and bear it but the season starts on Sunday, we're not going to get the 16,000 fans this weekend but I know when the team comes out there won't be any booing (at least not until half time :greengrin) so if we're going to support the team on sunday, why wait till then?

This doesn't really have much of a point rather than how I'm feeling, i'll be there Sunday, I've already text the boys to make sure they're all there, even the ones who said they'd never go back, be nice to think some of you lot will be doing the same

Good post mate, I'm with you.

Jones28
31-07-2013, 07:43 AM
Good post

The only point I'd disagree on is the Hearts cup final. Personally I feel it's unforgivable.

Onion
31-07-2013, 07:51 AM
We must be one of the most forgiving and tolerant set if fans in the UK for what we have had to suffer over the last 4 decades and don't see this changing on Sunday. As ever, the hardy souls who go on Sunday will give the team and Pat full backing ... for a while. The problem is IMHO Pat Fenlon's career at Hibs is fatally wounded and is simply a matter of how many days / weeks he can survive. If the team play anything like they did against Malmo then the fans will turn on him, the team and Petrie.

Sadly, I think he is finished and we are just waiting for Petrie to accept that.

Pretty Boy
31-07-2013, 07:55 AM
As long as he's Hibs manager i'll hope that he and the team do well, of course that's the case.

Thay doesn't change my opinion that he's the wrong man and barring an exceptional start to the season he's a dead man walking.

Beefster
31-07-2013, 08:08 AM
As long as he's Hibs manager i'll hope that he and the team do well, of course that's the case.

Thay doesn't change my opinion that he's the wrong man and barring an exceptional start to the season he's a dead man walking.

I agree but think a middling start to the season will be good enough for him.

Bostonhibby
31-07-2013, 08:09 AM
Gutted and embarassed by the Malmo rout but even if we had beaten them I was giving the manager the first quarter of the season to see how a team that is more and more his team performs in the league. Other teams seem to "rebuild" quicker than us, we have been spending so the requirement for a good season against scottish opposition is absolute.

Craig_in_Prague
31-07-2013, 08:10 AM
We could lose 10-0 on Sunday, and, I just wouldn't care anymore.

Too many humiliations under this numpty.
Negative, slow, uninteresting football - and he had Sparky to thank last season for making the season a little respectable - Without him this season, It's going to be painful.

It is my birthday on Sunday and I will not sit and watch Hibs and let them spoil it.

I do hope those in attendance don't turn the place back into a poiseness place again, but for me, until results / performances are at a level acceptable to a club of Hibs size (in SPL terms), then I will remain grumpy and feel literally sick of my team/club. The fans have done nothing but back the team over the last few years & all we get in return is out played by diddy clubs and humiliated in any bigger games.

Pat Fenlon is a winner? Aye, I'm a chinese gymnast.

DanHFC1875
31-07-2013, 08:20 AM

Negative, slow, uninteresting football - and he had Sparky to thank last season for making the season a little respectable - Without him this season, It's going to be painful.

It is my birthday on Sunday and I will not sit and watch Hibs and let them spoil it.

I do hope those in attendance don't turn the place back into a poiseness place again, but for me, until results / performances are at a level acceptable to a club of Hibs size (in SPL terms), then I will remain grumpy and feel literally sick of my team/club. The fans have done nothing but back the team over the last few years & all we get in return is out played by diddy clubs and humiliated in any bigger games.

Quite right. My avatar should have been changed ages ago lol

blackpoolhibs
31-07-2013, 08:42 AM
Right everybody Pat here, line up along this wall its time for your monthly kick in the baws. :rolleyes:

GlenrothesHibee
31-07-2013, 09:07 AM

I agree and posted something along the same lines a few days ago.

The thing that worries me however is that we are becoming a bit accepting of disappointment. We are the Tartan Army of club football these days. The mentality just seems wrong. We are bigger and better than what we have been getting.

Anyway onwards and upwards. Looking forward to the start of the season.

Bobby's Cinema
31-07-2013, 09:32 AM

I know what you're trying to say but not for me mate. These results will not be forgiven and Pat will always carry them

jakeshibs
31-07-2013, 12:58 PM

Good post and its onwards and upwards for me, looking forward to the new season and the usual ups and downs, mon the hibs:flag:

HUTCHYHIBBY
31-07-2013, 01:03 PM
Looking at the players already missing on Sunday theres potential for more mayhem on .net to come.

Paisley Hibby
31-07-2013, 01:30 PM

I applaud your optimism mate. However, it's been obvious for ages now that Fenlon is a complete and utter dud. So if he stays I fear we're just going to have more pain followed by a new guy coming in around AGM time who then has to try and salvage things in the January transfer window. A makeshift team of loanees for the second half of the season will get a lap of honour for managing to (just) pip the Jags (or Yams) to avoid the drop and then there will be another "transitional" summer in 2014. Groundhog day basically.

Hibby_CR14
31-07-2013, 01:31 PM
My first post!!

I think Sunday has potential to be bad but you never know! Motherwell have a game during the week so potential for them to be tired and pick up a couple of knocks...lets hop McFadden gets a kick or two as he will rip our defence a new one if fully fit.

I have little to no faith in Fenlon but hope Collins can help lift the team for the big kick off! Also hope Robertson starts as he could be a big player for us this season.

:flag::flag::flag:

jakeshibs
31-07-2013, 01:35 PM
I applaud your optimism mate. However, it's been obvious for ages now that Fenlon is a complete and utter dud. So if he stays I fear we're just going to have more pain followed by a new guy coming in around AGM time who then has to try and salvage things in the January transfer window. A makeshift team of loanees for the second half of the season will get a lap of honour for managing to (just) pip the Jags (or Yams) to avoid the drop and then there will be another "transitional" summer in 2014. Groundhog day basically.

so no positives?? come on! we have just bought a striker at 200K undefeated against the hearts, back to back SC finals and played in Europe when was the last time we could say that? yes I want more but we can only do that together, supporting Hibs !!!! lets drop the negative because we are beaten before we start, I for one will be there, supporting the Hibs hoping for more improvement.

hughio
31-07-2013, 01:43 PM

Hard to disagree with your post PH though it saddens me to say so.

Life's a bit like Groundhog day though isnt it? And Pat Fenlon's really only a relatively new face on the Hibby Groundhog scene so its tough to blame him for everything that's not right at our Club:dunno:

blackpoolhibs
31-07-2013, 01:51 PM
so no positives?? come on! we have just bought a striker at 200K undefeated against the hearts, back to back SC finals and played in Europe when was the last time we could say that? yes I want more but we can only do that together, supporting Hibs !!!! lets drop the negative because we are beaten before we start, I for one will be there, supporting the Hibs hoping for more improvement.

I must have missed that? :boo hoo:

lucky
31-07-2013, 02:01 PM
We can't turn the clock back we can only hope the future is brighter. Pat is here to stay so we must get behind him and the team. The hammerings have been hard to take but bitching about them is not going change it. Roll on Sunday. #GGTTH

IanM
31-07-2013, 02:21 PM

I'm not naive enough to think we'll have turned the corner by Sunday nor am i naive enough to think Fenlon has something up his sleeve and our problems will be fixed come Sunday but he had the chance to hide after both cup finals, end of season, no fans at his back until the next season, Thursday was different.

He's going to walk out that dug out on Sunday knowing that 95% of the Hibs fans want him gone, one misplaced pass, one loss of an early goal and he'll not know what's hit him. he's going to have to put his heart and soul into this match, he's going to have to get the players to put their heart and soul into this match and pray that this works. Show us he does know what he's doing and continue to impress us week in week out.

I don't envy him one bit for Sunday though. He's got to get this right. If he's got any fight left in him we'll see a different Pat on Sunday, we'll see his passion and his pride and if we go down fighting (we all know we don't have a defence) and then improve again for the derby, the Malmo game will seem a lifetime away but there's an element of our fans that won't let him forget about this which means he has to approach every game differently from now on.

No pressure then big man!

jakeshibs
31-07-2013, 02:47 PM
I must have missed that? :boo hoo:

ok we took a hammering but we were there, not our greatest performance I agree but beats last year scraping to stay in the SPL, lets concentrate on the new season surely this is for the benefits of us all.

just_joe
31-07-2013, 02:52 PM

Totally agree with you Craig. Sparky kept that idiot in a job and its as simple as that. All thats needed to say.

just_joe
31-07-2013, 02:53 PM
We can't turn the clock back we can only hope the future is brighter. Pat is here to stay so we must get behind him and the team. The hammerings have been hard to take but bitching about them is not going change it. Roll on Sunday. #GGTTH

That's why we are supporters mate. The hammerings have been hard to take yes but I think we have every right to bitch about them.

NORTHERNHIBBY
31-07-2013, 04:35 PM
Not overly sure that turning the other cheek is the correct phrase? I would rather that we stopped shifting the goal posts. This is Fenlon's team, made of Fenlon's players and playing the way that he tells them to. Season before last, Ross County had a first division team and the season before that so did ICT. Motherwell have had to more or less re-build a team. If Fenlon was brought in to continually bleat about what a state the club were in, then he has earned his money, but if he was brought in to turn it around and make us consistent and competitive, then lets' see it this time around.

Andy74
31-07-2013, 04:38 PM
Totally agree with you Craig. Sparky kept that idiot in a job and its as simple as that. All thats needed to say.

Is there any reason we have to get quite so abusive so quickly? Time and again. I'd hate to see it would be like if he was actually doing a poor job.

Andy74
31-07-2013, 04:41 PM
Not overly sure that turning the other cheek is the correct phrase? I would rather that we stopped shifting the goal posts. This is Fenlon's team, made of Fenlon's players and playing the way that he tells them to. Season before last, Ross County had a first division team and the season before that so did ICT. Motherwell have had to more or less re-build a team. If Fenlon was brought in to continually bleat about what a state the club were in, then he has earned his money, but if he was brought in to turn it around and make us consistent and competitive, then lets' see it this time around.

He did those things last year and this year hasn't really started yet so why don't we wait and see?

I don't sense much understanding about our defensive position though. Not too much he can do with four key defenders missing.

Feed McGraw
31-07-2013, 04:48 PM
He did those things last year and this year hasn't really started yet so why don't we wait and see?

I don't sense much understanding about our defensive position though. Not too much he can do with four key defenders missing. We have four key defenders ??!!! Well I never, who da thunk it eh ?

West hamBERNIAN
31-07-2013, 04:56 PM
Man city currently beating ac Milan 5-1 after 36 mins. Could be 6 or 7 already. Wonder if the ac fans will be blaming the managers lack of knowledge/tactics.

Paisley Hibby
31-07-2013, 05:00 PM
I'm not naive enough to think we'll have turned the corner by Sunday nor am i naive enough to think Fenlon has something up his sleeve and our problems will be fixed come Sunday but he had the chance to hide after both cup finals, end of season, no fans at his back until the next season, Thursday was different.

He's going to walk out that dug out on Sunday knowing that 95% of the Hibs fans want him gone, one misplaced pass, one loss of an early goal and he'll not know what's hit him. he's going to have to put his heart and soul into this match, he's going to have to get the players to put their heart and soul into this match and pray that this works. Show us he does know what he's doing and continue to impress us week in week out.

I don't envy him one bit for Sunday though. He's got to get this right. If he's got any fight left in him we'll see a different Pat on Sunday, we'll see his passion and his pride and if we go down fighting (we all know we don't have a defence) and then improve again for the derby, the Malmo game will seem a lifetime away but there's an element of our fans that won't let him forget about this which means he has to approach every game differently from now on.

No pressure then big man!

Fenlon's a busted flush. Any sign of improvement over the next few games will just be a dead cat bounce. And let's face it, an improvement on our last home game will not difficult to achieve. The sooner we are rid of him the better.

snooky
31-07-2013, 05:16 PM
Fenlon's a busted flush. Any sign of improvement over the next few games will just be a dead cat bounce. And let's face it, an improvement on our last home game will not difficult to achieve. The sooner we are rid of him the better.

That sums up the situation exactly as I see it too. 0-7 FFS. Tock Tick.

Paisley Hibby
31-07-2013, 05:31 PM

That's another thing. I'm amazed that our board has backed Fenlon's judgement to the tune of £200K (plus a top whack wage no doubt). This is the man who brought us Kuqi, Kujabi, Deegan, Cairney and Clancy. Who got rid of Sproule and replaced him with Done. Sure, there's been a few successful signings (eg Williams) but overall his track record is woeful. £200K on an unknown striker? Not if it was my money!

Andy74
31-07-2013, 05:49 PM

Really? Because our league form isn't indicative of a slump of the sort that gets managers sacked. If we improve the next few games your point is just daft.

Feed McGraw
31-07-2013, 05:51 PM
Man city currently beating ac Milan 5-1 after 36 mins. Could be 6 or 7 already. Wonder if the ac fans will be blaming the managers lack of knowledge/tactics. Quite possibly they are. Are you insinuating though, that Hibs fans are questioning the manager on his tactics etc. on just the Malmo game ? Don`t think they are.

Paisley Hibby
31-07-2013, 06:18 PM
Really? Because our league form isn't indicative of a slump of the sort that gets managers sacked. If we improve the next few games your point is just daft.

Can't agree with you on that. OK so we managed to win the bottom 6 games towards the end of last season. However, prior to that, how many home league games did we win last year? And where would we have been without Griffiths' goals? (a player Calderwood brough to the club, not Fenlon). And how many absolute humiliations has Fenlon given us in his 18 months at Hibs?

West hamBERNIAN
31-07-2013, 06:22 PM
Quite possibly they are. Are you insinuating though, that Hibs fans are questioning the manager on his tactics etc. on just the Malmo game ? Don`t think they are.

Before the second leg at Easter road I would say that we played reasonably well in malmo and had somebody have posted a vote thread about fenlon then there's no chance it would be like that. So to a degree, yes. I genuinely think pat could have a really good season and it would be criminal to sack him just to take a chance on somebody who could be worse than Jim Duffy.

CRAZYHIBBY
31-07-2013, 06:30 PM
Fenlon will be here for a good while yet as we cant afford to sack him and pay compensation for the next manager

Sir David Gray
31-07-2013, 06:33 PM
I'm backing him 100% at the moment and we need to get behind him for the time being and see how we do over the first few months of this coming season.

If we're near the bottom of the league by November/December then it will be time to go our separate ways but there's still more than 4 weeks left of the transfer window so we need to see who else comes in over that time and how we do with that squad.

Sacking him just now would be the wrong move as far as I'm concerned.

Feed McGraw
31-07-2013, 06:36 PM
Before the second leg at Easter road I would say that we played reasonably well in malmo and had somebody have posted a vote thread about fenlon then there's no chance it would be like that. So to a degree, yes. I genuinely think pat could have a really good season and it would be criminal to sack him just to take a chance on somebody who could be worse than Jim Duffy. I appreciate what you`re saying to a certain extent, but Malmo was the straw that broke the camel`s back IMO and he also made the same mistakes in the second leg that he made in the first. Btw they should have been hammered in the first leg as well so I`m not sure how you think they did " reasonably well". Having said that, I think I still want to give him another chance !

Speedway
31-07-2013, 06:43 PM
For anyone interested in facts:

28 Pat Fenlon Ireland 27 November 2011 Incumbent 67 23 16 28 34.33
27 Colin Calderwood Scotland 18 October 2010 6 November 2011 49 12 11 26 24.49

West hamBERNIAN
31-07-2013, 06:54 PM
I appreciate what you`re saying to a certain extent, but Malmo was the straw that broke the camel`s back IMO and he also made the same mistakes in the second leg that he made in the first. Btw they should have been hammered in the first leg as well so I`m not sure how you think they did " reasonably well". Having said that, I think I still want to give him another chance !

Personally I thought they did okay because against a team with a much higher budget than our own we managed to keep it at 2 and were unlucky not to nick a goal, I'm fairly sure I wasn't alone in this feeling judging on the optimism that we might have got a result at Easter road. I understand what your saying but to me, last year we were only a decision or two and maybe a player or two away from having a great year.

One Day
31-07-2013, 06:54 PM
Is there any reason we have to get quite so abusive so quickly? Time and again. I'd hate to see it would be like if he was actually doing a poor job.

Have i missed something

pacorosssco
31-07-2013, 07:02 PM
For anyone interested in facts:

28 Pat Fenlon Ireland 27 November 2011 Incumbent 67 23 16 28 34.33
27 Colin Calderwood Scotland 18 October 2010 6 November 2011 49 12 11 26 24.49

speaks volumes

bingo70
31-07-2013, 07:06 PM
I'm changing my mind on a daily basis about Fenlon, i just don't know.

In defence of him:-

I think progress was made last year
He had a hell of a job lifting the spirits after that clown before him
I think it'd be harsh to sack him now just before the season starts
I think there's a small chance we could have a decent season next season under him.
I like the guy, think he talks a lot of sense and really want him to be a success.

On the other hand though:-

It was summed up by someone on here who said we're a defensive team that cannae defend.
I cannae handle another season of defensive midfielders
I don't think there's any chance his contract will be renewed next season so might as well get shot now
We don't perform in too many big games under him
I don't think there's any particular style of football with fenlon, it's just 11 guys sent out and fingers crossed a forward creates something.
I'm concerned about his lack of contacts outwith britain and ireland
I think we're ridiculously under prepared for this season.
Lewis stevenson at right back in the 1st leg was bad, to do it again in the 2nd leg is more than concerning.
Lack of flair payers he's signed.
The thought of a manager that wants to play good football is REALLY appealing. Kenny shiels or johnny foreigner gets my vote.

In short i dinnae ken.

Andy74
31-07-2013, 07:13 PM
Have i missed something

Probably.

pacorosssco
31-07-2013, 07:25 PM
fenlon has had the benefit of coming after 7 team over hauls and 2 bad managers , his three windows have been no better. If hed come after Mowbray JC, Mixu or Miller he'd be gone already. It isnt personal and he has the same problem with board pf others but its been too big a step.

1- he doesn't get the best out out what hes brought in
2- he isn't a tactcian
3- he has had brutal results
4- It isn't any better after X amount of signings

Feed McGraw
31-07-2013, 07:28 PM
Personally I thought they did okay because against a team with a much higher budget than our own we managed to keep it at 2 and were unlucky not to nick a goal, I'm fairly sure I wasn't alone in this feeling judging on the optimism that we might have got a result at Easter road. I understand what your saying but to me, last year we were only a decision or two and maybe a player or two away from having a great year. His teams have to show a lot more if he`s to have a future at Hibs, lets hope we have a good season whatever happens, this fantastic, loyal support deserves it. Cheers Bud, lets hope things improve.

DH1875
31-07-2013, 08:13 PM
Hey-ho, if we finish 6th in the league and beat hearts then everything else in the garden will be rosie. To expect anything else is ridiculous for a club our size. How folk on here expect us to compete with the likes of ICT, Ross County, Motherwell or St Johnstone is beyond me. People need to get a reality check, we only have double their crowds (therefore double their income) have a state of the art training ground and come from Edinburgh. And who wants to live their? Motherwell is a class place to live. Right up there with the likes of Monte Carlo. It's not Pats fault. I mean it's not as if he's had the backing of the board and the fans is it :rolleyes:.

And.......If nothing else, at least the football is a joy to watch ain't it :rolleyes:.

Andy74
31-07-2013, 08:22 PM
Hey-ho, if we finish 6th in the league and beat hearts then everything else in the garden will be rosie. To expect anything else is ridiculous for a club our size. How folk on here expect us to compete with the likes of ICT, Ross County, Motherwell or St Johnstone is beyond me. I mean we only have double their crowds (therefore double their income).

And.......If nothing else, at least the football is a joy to watch :rolleyes:.

I support what Fenlon is doing bit that doesn't mean 6th is good enough next year. We saw decent progress last year. We did go unbeaten v Hearts and we've been to Hampden four times in 14 months or so. I'd be expecting us now to be stepping ahead of most of the teams mentioned this year though and given the progress from where we were he should be allowed that opportunity.

khib70
31-07-2013, 10:03 PM
I support what Fenlon is doing bit that doesn't mean 6th is good enough next year. We saw decent progress last year. We did go unbeaten v Hearts and we've been to Hampden four times in 14 months or so. I'd be expecting us now to be stepping ahead of most of the teams mentioned this year though and given the progress from where we were he should be allowed that opportunity.
If ever there was someone who totally confused loyal support with blindly backing every club authority figure in sight, your're the man.

But then you are the very same guy who once declared that the pathologically inept Gary Deegan was "our best midfielder":rolleyes:

Fenlon's ineptitude and total lack of imagination, plus his totally home-based player knowledge have been blatantly obvious to some of us for a while. And we've had to put up with dog's abuse on what has virtually been a personal Fenlon fansite for quite a while.

He's way out of his depth and has presided over two of the worst humiliations in our history. He was only saved from presiding over a third by a virtual dressing room revolt at half-time. And all in 14 months.

He needs to go, and go soon :taxi

The_Horde
31-07-2013, 11:31 PM
I'm in two minds with Fenlon now. On one hand he's embarrassed us in major games. But at the same time he got us to those games.. (Cup finals, Europe) when we probably should never have been anywhere near the final either time. And were nowhere near ready for Europe. Think we should just give him another year, if it fails badly this year then he walks and that's that. As long as we're not relegation fodder it might be worth the gamble. But some fans don't have that patience! Most of all I want to be entertained again.

Captain Trips
31-07-2013, 11:39 PM
In almost 2 years he is deemed doing well when compared to CC not exactly the hardest task out there. Forget CC in isolation in almost 2 years his record and style IMO isnt very good.

He could be our manager for next 20yrs if he is compared to CCs efforts but unfortunatly standing on his own IMO he is well off the mark. At 20 months kind of hoping to by this juncture making comparisons to succesful managers not still at least better than CC.

edinburghhibee
01-08-2013, 01:07 AM
I just want to see us play football on the floor, get people moving around,pulling players out of position while others run into the spaces created. I always thought fenlon was trying to get an attacking 4-2-3-1 formation but he isn't looking interested in signing the quick agile players able to play in the attacking 3 midfield positions. Instead he looks as though he just wants to hit his striker with lumps up the park and hope we get the breaks off him.

I hope I'm wrong and fenlon can turn us around because he seems a genuinely nice guy... However I don't believe he can after 2 of the worst ever results and performances I think I've ever seen from a hibs team.

chinaman
01-08-2013, 06:04 AM

Pat Fenlon is a winner? Aye, I'm a chinese gymnast.YEP your bang on, clueless pat needs to walk away

stanton_4
01-08-2013, 06:39 AM
I've been a supporter of Hibs, man and boy, for around 40 years now. During that time I have witnessed some awful performances, some terrible teams and been humiliated on more occasions than I care to remember. Other than Turnbull's Tornadoes and brief spells when McLeish and Mowbray were at the club most Hibs teams have watched have been average at best and rank rotten at worse. This is being a Hibs fan so suck it up boys. People who harp on about good old days need to wake up and realise that is exactly what they are... the old days. Unless we luck out like we did with McLeish getting Sauzee and that fantastic crop of youngsters we have to accept that it's just not gonna happen again. In real terms, you have to go back all of those 40 years of my following Hibs to see a team that everybody keeps calling "Hibs Class". 40 years FFS. So wise up guys... this is our lot. This is being a modern Hibs fan. Constant disappointment caused by characterless managers and average footballers. I can no longer afford to attend Easter Road and I am ashamed to admit that watching them on TV for the past few seasons I am glad I cant. Hibs have always been my team and always will be but as long as the people who run the club settle for employees like Fenlon, Vine, Clancy, Taiwo et all, average is the best we can hope for. Scottish Cup? Don't make me laugh. Unless we luck out and meet Stirling Albion in the final it wont happen in my life time. Mind you... even then we'd probably blow it.

IanM
01-08-2013, 07:08 AM
YEP your bang on, clueless pat needs to walk away

From my point earlier i agree that there's alot of fans that would prefer Pat to walk but it doesnt look like he is going to.

Maybe if you're not willing to back Pat, which is totally understandable, for fans in your position we need you to back the club and back the club with their decisions.

I admit, I don't think Pat is cut out for this going by the last result and our 2 cup finals but we did show signs of improvement the latter part of the season, this is enough me to approach Sunday and support Pat and the team. We have bought new players, we're still short but folk always mention the transfer window is open for weeks to come we need to give the club time to use this window to it's potential.

our injuries & suspensions in defence are alarming mind, hopefully this Tom Hateley rumour is more than a rumour and we have a bit more spine on Sunday but a make shift defence with your own fans on the managers and teams back isn't going to help

spike220
01-08-2013, 07:54 AM
If ever there was someone who totally confused loyal support with blindly backing every club authority figure in sight, your're the man.

But then you are the very same guy who once declared that the pathologically inept Gary Deegan was "our best midfielder":rolleyes:

Fenlon's ineptitude and total lack of imagination, plus his totally home-based player knowledge have been blatantly obvious to some of us for a while. And we've had to put up with dog's abuse on what has virtually been a personal Fenlon fansite for quite a while.

He's way out of his depth and has presided over two of the worst humiliations in our history. He was only saved from presiding over a third by a virtual dressing room revolt at half-time. And all in 14 months.

He needs to go, and go soon :taxi I disagree, I can think of a few games last season when Deegan was the most effective midfielder on the park.

Finbar
01-08-2013, 08:01 AM
Pat Fenlon is the new Alex Miller. We will lose as many games as we win and finish between 5th and 7th most years.

hibsbollah
01-08-2013, 08:02 AM
From my point earlier i agree that there's alot of fans that would prefer Pat to walk but it doesnt look like he is going to.

Maybe if you're not willing to back Pat, which is totally understandable, for fans in your position we need you to back the club and back the club with their decisions.

I admit, I don't think Pat is cut out for this going by the last result and our 2 cup finals but we did show signs of improvement the latter part of the season, this is enough me to approach Sunday and support Pat and the team. We have bought new players, we're still short but folk always mention the transfer window is open for weeks to come we need to give the club time to use this window to it's potential.

our injuries & suspensions in defence are alarming mind, hopefully this Tom Hateley rumour is more than a rumour and we have a bit more spine on Sunday but a make shift defence with your own fans on the managers and teams back isn't going to help

I'd agree with all of this. Captures how I feel exactly.

I hope the 'pitchfork brigade' :newcaricaturesmiley: won't be too angry if and when I clap the players onto the pitch on Sunday. I know its wrong, but I just can't help myself.

Golden Bear
01-08-2013, 08:04 AM
Pat Fenlon is the new Alex Miller. We will lose as many games as we win and finish between 5th and 7th most years.

If we're lucky!

flash
01-08-2013, 08:06 AM

I hope the 'pitchfork brigade' :newcaricaturesmiley: won't be too angry if and when I clap the players onto the pitch on Sunday. I know its wrong, but I just can't help myself.

On balance i think we might be ebtter with a new manager but i am still looking forward to Sunday.

All threads like this do are show up the pea brains of some of our fanbase.

Beefster
01-08-2013, 08:09 AM
I disagree, I can think of a few games last season when Deegan was the most effective midfielder on the park.

Possibly but that didn't make him our best midfielder at any point. He had lots more games where he was one of our most ineffective midfielders too.

stanton_4
01-08-2013, 09:45 AM

Spot on :agree:

Speedway
01-08-2013, 09:52 AM
Is the one mile running track and the mound still there at EM?

Hibby Bairn
01-08-2013, 09:57 AM
Don't understand why this is all still being debated tbh.

This time last week we were 2-0 down with a home game to look forward to in Europe. We then got beat 7-0....at Easter Road.

How he is still in the job is a mystery to me.

CallumLaidlaw
01-08-2013, 10:00 AM
Is the one mile running track and the mound still there at EM?

It was in April.

OrdHibby
01-08-2013, 10:06 AM
I agree with the OP in that FENLON MUST STAY as far away from Hibernian Football Club as humanly possible. :thumbsup:

Speedway
01-08-2013, 10:42 AM
Don't understand why this is all still being debated tbh.

This time last week we were 2-0 down with a home game to look forward to in Europe. We then got beat 7-0....at Easter Road.

How he is still in the job is a mystery to me.

1. He was a better win record than the last manager
2. Sacking him mean removing funds from a new manager
3. We are on the eve of the new season
4. We just hired his assistant.
5. Managers don't automatically get sacked after heavy defeats.

Apart from that, no idea.

DH1875
01-08-2013, 11:21 AM
So Pat Fenlon got us into Europe.........erm, reality check :confused:. We were there by default. We lost the cup final AND finished 7th in the league. If anything, he got us there through failure. It was the stupid rules that got us into Europe, not Fenlon. We shouldn't have been anywhere near it. Some folk really do need to take the blinkers off.

Andy74
01-08-2013, 11:29 AM
So Pat Fenlon got us into Europe.........erm, reality check :confused:. We were there by default. We lost the cup final AND finished 7th in the league. If anything, he got us there through failure. It was the stupid rules that got us into Europe, not Fenlon. We shouldn't have been anywhere near it. Some folk really do need to take the blinkers off.

So we just appeared in a cup final. Like we do every year.

Speedway
01-08-2013, 11:32 AM

And how did we get to the cup final?

Edit: ooops Andy beat me to it.

DH1875
01-08-2013, 12:18 PM
So we just appeared in a cup final. Like we do every year.

:agree:.

LOSING A CUP FINAL should NOT get you into Europe.

khib70
01-08-2013, 12:24 PM

Oh come on HB. I wouldn't have expected you to be one of those who confuse blind loyalty to the manager with supporting the team. I'll be supporting the team as vociferously as ever on Sunday, along with all the others who want Fenlon emptied.

CallumLaidlaw
01-08-2013, 01:37 PM
I want him to be given a chance into this league campaign as he's nearly finished building his own team and I think the players he's brought in this window seem reliable.

He seems annoyed with some questions here - http://m.stv.tv/sport/football/clubs/hibernian/234729-pat-fenlon-endures-difficult-week-but-never-thought-about-leaving-hibs/

Andy74
01-08-2013, 02:24 PM
:agree:.

LOSING A CUP FINAL should NOT get you into Europe.

Well it does and we had a tough run to get there so the manger deserves credit for doing so.

DH1875
01-08-2013, 02:25 PM
Well it does and we had a tough run to get there so the manger deserves credit for doing so.

:faf::faf::faf: Listen to yourself man.

Andy74
01-08-2013, 02:26 PM
:faf::faf::faf: Listen to yourself man.

Would you like to explain?

Andy74
01-08-2013, 02:33 PM
I want him to be given a chance into this league campaign as he's nearly finished building his own team and I think the players he's brought in this window seem reliable.

He seems annoyed with some questions here - http://m.stv.tv/sport/football/clubs/hibernian/234729-pat-fenlon-endures-difficult-week-but-never-thought-about-leaving-hibs/

In what way does he seem annoyed? :confused:

Onion
01-08-2013, 02:37 PM
Fenlon might still be with us, but he appears to have gone to ground - not a peep since last Thurs and our new season starts on Sunday :confused: Wonder if he'll just try ignore 0-7 when he meets up with journos - the elephant in the room - or will have something interesting to say ?

The Voice Of Reason
01-08-2013, 02:42 PM
Fenlon might still be with us, but he appears to have gone to ground - not a peep since last Thurs and our new season starts on Sunday :confused: Wonder if he'll just try ignore 0-7 when he meets up with journos - the elephant in the room - or will have something interesting to say ?

He hasnt "gone to ground" - he has been in The Netherlands trying to a "box to box" midfielder by the name of Edwin De Graaf.

Pat has an eye for a player likes :aok:

hibsbollah
01-08-2013, 02:43 PM
Oh come on HB. I wouldn't have expected you to be one of those who confuse blind loyalty to the manager with supporting the team. I'll be supporting the team as vociferously as ever on Sunday, along with all the others who want Fenlon emptied.

I haven't got blind loyalty to the manager. If he was emptied today it wouldn't raise a shrug from me. I just hope those who decide to get behind the team on Sunday aren't castigated for being happy clappers for doing so.

DH1875
01-08-2013, 02:44 PM
Would you like to explain?

B,B,But we reached a cup final :boo hoo:. You keep telling yourself that. I on the other hand will be happier when we start WINNING cup finals AND finishing higher up the league.

CallumLaidlaw
01-08-2013, 02:53 PM

Look 5 posts above yours

CallumLaidlaw
01-08-2013, 02:54 PM
In what way does he seem annoyed? :confused:

I just think he seems riled about a couple of the questions near the end. Like the one about being given reassurances

CallumLaidlaw
01-08-2013, 02:56 PM
I haven't got blind loyalty to the manager. If he was emptied today it wouldn't raise a shrug from me. I just hope those who decide to get behind the team on Sunday aren't castigated for being happy clappers for doing so.

Exactly. I'm a Hibs supporter not a Fenlon supporter. I'll be there cheering on the team. I just happen to think PF should be given the chance to lead the team into the new season and improve on last season, just as he done from the season before.

Andy74
01-08-2013, 02:59 PM
B,B,But we reached a cup final :boo hoo:. You keep telling yourself that. I on the other hand will be happier when we start WINNING cup finals AND finishing higher up the league.

Evidently you lack the capacity but I'll explain anyway.

I'll be happy too when we win cup finals. No manager has done that in the Scottish since 1902 by the way so forgive me if i don't want Fenlon sacked for not doing so.

I'll also be happier when we finish higher up the league. We finished higher last year than we did the year before and I expect us to finish higher again this time.

The point about the cup final was that you had suggested we somehow qualified for Europe by default. We didn't. The rules are such that getting to the final this time allowed us to qualify.

Getting to the cup final was an achievement that the manager should get credit for. He's taken us to Hampden 4 times in his time here so far and that's quite decent as Hibs managers go.

There's quite a bit that you could use to analayse Fenlon's failings but your approach isn't really aiding your case.

khib70
01-08-2013, 03:01 PM
Fair enough, but I would never label anyone a happy clapper for getting behind the team. It's the Fenlon fanboys who persist on turning cartwheels to put a positive spin on the man's nondescript, and occasionally dreadful, performance as manager that grind my gears.

Andy74
01-08-2013, 03:04 PM
Fair enough, but I would never label anyone a happy clapper for getting behind the team. It's the Fenlon fanboys who persist on turning cartwheels to put a positive spin on the man's nondescript, and occasionally dreadful, performance as manager that grind my gears.

Fenlon fanboys? Deary dear. You are using particulalry negative wording and with a clearly negative slant in your posts, I'm sure you can handle others putting forward an alternative view?

MWHIBBIES
01-08-2013, 03:47 PM
Blaming Fenlon and never forgiving him for the Hearts cup final is pathetic tbh, the players and what was happening at Hibs in the 3 years previous are far more to blame.

West hamBERNIAN
01-08-2013, 04:03 PM
Blaming Fenlon and never forgiving him for the Hearts cup final is pathetic tbh, the players and what was happening at Hibs in the 3 years previous are far more to blame.

Quite right, it's down to pat to prove he can get it right this season. We all grumble about money not getting spent on players but a large majority would happily spend what would be big money to us to sack pat and find some superstar manager. Mental if you ask me . Give pat his time, if he doesn't deliver hopefully we'll be able to back the next manager with some funds and we'll all stop greetin'

DH1875
01-08-2013, 04:08 PM
The point about the cup final was that you had suggested we somehow qualified for Europe by default. We didn't. The rules are such that getting to the final this time allowed us to qualify.

Exactly my point. It was the rules who got us into Europe, not Fenlon. We should have been nowhere near it.

DH1875
01-08-2013, 04:21 PM
Evidently you lack the capacity but I'll explain anyway.

I'll be happy too when we win cup finals. No manager has done that in the Scottish since 1902 by the way so forgive me if i don't want Fenlon sacked for not doing so.

I'll also be happier when we finish higher up the league. We finished higher last year than we did the year before and I expect us to finish higher again this time.

Getting to the cup final was an achievement that the manager should get credit for. He's taken us to Hampden 4 times in his time here so far and that's quite decent as Hibs managers go.

There's quite a bit that you could use to analayse Fenlon's failings but your approach isn't really aiding your case.

So not only have you got us being humped in cup finals as being a major achievement but now we're seeing just reaching the semis as being one. The mind beggars. Fenlon failed last season. Top 6 was his target and he didn't achieve it and even then, it was a kite target IMO.
Let's get to the point. What is success/failure this season? Are you saying a 6th place finish and a cup semi appearance is acceptable? It's not in my book.

Onion
01-08-2013, 04:45 PM
Look 5 posts above yours

Thanks. Well looks like he had nothing interesting to say.

khib70
01-08-2013, 05:27 PM
Fenlon fanboys? Deary dear. You are using particulalry negative wording and with a clearly negative slant in your posts, I'm sure you can handle others putting forward an alternative view?
I'm not being negative about Hibs. I wouldn't have renewed my ST otherwise.

I can't see Fenlon remaining having any positive effect for Hibs, so I'm negative about him. His supporters seem to be aspiring to the mediocrity which is all he'll ever deliver.

Andy74
01-08-2013, 05:43 PM

I can't see Fenlon remaining having any positive effect for Hibs, so I'm negative about him. His supporters seem to be aspiring to the mediocrity which is all he'll ever deliver.

Ah, the old mediocrity line. Classic.

marinello59
01-08-2013, 05:50 PM

Nonsense. I think he should have gone long before now and certainly shouldn't have been allowed back in the door after the Malmo game. But I don't see any Hibs fans ''aspiring to mediocrity', just some taking a different opinion on how we move forward. There is no need to belittle them for that. (They are wrong of course. :greengrin)

Lucius Apuleius
01-08-2013, 05:59 PM
Exactly my point. It was the rules who got us into Europe, not Fenlon. We should have been nowhere near it.

:agree: Totally. I hope this extends to the "Champion's" League where teams in some countries who finish fourth go on and play in it. As an aside, I cannae be ersed looking, how many Champion League winners were Champions the previous season? Any idea?

Captain Trips
01-08-2013, 06:09 PM
Nonsense. I think he should have gone long before now and certainly shouldn't have been allowed back in the door after the Malmo game. But I don't see any Hibs fans ''aspiring to mediocrity', just some taking a different opinion on how we move forward. There is no need to belittle them for that. (They are wrong of course. :greengrin)

Indeed people backing PF believe we will do well under him as strongly as I and others believe he will not deliver. No fans want Mediocrity I just feel that is what we will get.

Thecat23
04-08-2013, 03:37 PM

No thanks.

Pray4Marc
04-08-2013, 03:55 PM
Good post

The only point I'd disagree on is the Hearts cup final. Personally I feel it's unforgivable.

Agree that It was unforgivable. But.. The team he inherited and the rushed loans that where brought in weren't good enough, take into consideration also the extreme financial doping from our opponents and Mr Thomsons performance. If we get beat next week against he will walk. That would be unforgivable.

HibbyDave
04-08-2013, 04:17 PM
Just an opinion but, like it or lump it he's here for a while yet. I think it's the last year of his contract so RP won't be offering him cash to go. He'll wait till around the turn of the year to see if we are likely to be caught by "them" then decide to make a last-ditch panic change of manager. Unless of course Killie go t*ts-up in the meantime, meaning we can simply sit it out then make changes after another season of dross (at no cost to us). A cup run may extend the shelf life. Europe is not worth qualifying for, as due to low co-efficient, we will get another team who are miles ahead in fitness (as their season will be well under way by then).

GGTTH

HFC 0-7
04-08-2013, 05:20 PM
Just an opinion but, like it or lump it he's here for a while yet. I think it's the last year of his contract so RP won't be offering him cash to go. He'll wait till around the turn of the year to see if we are likely to be caught by "them" then decide to make a last-ditch panic change of manager. Unless of course Killie go t*ts-up in the meantime, meaning we can simply sit it out then make changes after another season of dross (at no cost to us). A cup run may extend the shelf life. Europe is not worth qualifying for, as due to low co-efficient, we will get another team who are miles ahead in fitness (as their season will be well under way by then).

GGTTH

St Johnstone

HibbyDave
04-08-2013, 05:27 PM
St Johnstone

I think the draw means we can't get them unless it's in the final:wink: Anyway theyr'e not through yet.

I know what you are saying though and yes, a team set up well and with the right level of commitment etc could progress. The co-efficient still means we are way down the pecking order so let's hope the saintees do well this year.

A move to summer football anyone?

04-08-2013, 05:36 PM
Fenlon will always have the embarrassment of being the manager in the 5-1 cup final but in all fairness to Fenlon, he had inherited an incredibly poor squad full of gutless no marks from Calderwood and didn't have a lot of time to have a very much needed clear out, get rid of the dead wood and bring in his own players. He was brought in with the main objective of keeping us up which he did. Getting to the final was a miracle, we were no where near ready for a game of that magnitude.

However, hes had plenty time now to have built his own squad, and build the team he wants and although IMO we are better than we were under CC we are still way way off the mark we should be at and the performances are well under par. I just don't see Fenlon being the man who is going to take us forward anymore.

E10 Rifle
04-08-2013, 06:01 PM
He has built his squad, he just can't coach them! He's out his depth as a manager and everyone can see that.

The Sea-gull
04-08-2013, 06:24 PM
Fenlon out is the thread title but he should never have been "in" in the first place. He did not have the credentials and experience a manager should have when coming to Hibs. It is a bit early to boot him though, even if we do lose next week.

Golden Bear
04-08-2013, 07:06 PM
Fenlon out is the thread title but he should never have been "in" in the first place. He did not have the credentials and experience a manager should have when coming to Hibs. It is a bit early to boot him though, even if we do lose next week.

It certainly is not!