PDA

View Full Version : BT Sport could be a new beginning for Scottish Football

worcesterhibby
30-07-2013, 09:49 AM
Was reading an interesting article in the Scotsman online about the SPFL coverage on BT sport today. Here (http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/latest/bt-sport-pledge-spfl-coverage-will-succeed-1-3020958)

They will be showing 30 live SPFL matches, many of them on Friday nights and Saturday tea time. I know a LOT of people who are switching to BT for the football here in England, who would never have subscribed to Setanta or ESPN. The new BT sport channel is going to be huge and Scottish football is going to be a major part of it. If you include the Rangers matches that they will be televising, then there are actually more Scottish matches on their channel than English Premier. That's a whole new audience for the SPFL and a chance to build Scottish football into a product that is worth far more than the paltry sum that is currently paid for it, when the contract is due to be renewed in Summer 2017.

Assuming that BT sport is going to be a big success (and every indication is that it will be) then we will have four years of football fans North and South of the border getting used to watching Scottish football live on TV. It's a real opportunity to build the brand and ensure that when the contract is due to be re-negotiated, BT will have to pay much more for the rights than they do currently.

It's also an opportunity for Scottish clubs to build their own brand down south and sell English fans the idea of having a 2nd team. Being a successful SPFL team in the next 3 years could have huge benefits as we have a chance to put ourselves in the shop window in a way we haven't had for years. We can only hope that Malmo was a horrible, horrible blip and that we can hit the ground running this season and establish ourselves as a top 3 team.

marinello59
30-07-2013, 10:02 AM
It's another kick in the baws for those who want to actually attend matches. TV scheduling will still decide when games kick off. I don't see hordes of fans coming up from England to watch their 'second 'team when they can do it in the pub. I don't see it as giving us any more exposure than Setanta, ESPN and Sky have done in the past. Given the product at the moment we could actually turn people off. Stuff tellybox fitba.:grr:

HUTCHYHIBBY
30-07-2013, 10:02 AM
Thats all well and good, apart from the fact that your run of the mill English football fan couldnae give a flying one about watching Scottish football.

Brightside
30-07-2013, 10:15 AM
Thats all well and good, apart from the fact that your run of the mill English football fan couldnae give a flying one about watching Scottish football.

The Bt Sport line up looks totally horrible. Main presenter is dull, michael owen is very dull, and david james knows nothing about football!

Just Alf
30-07-2013, 10:15 AM
what it will probably do is push up the TV revenues as SKY and BT will actually compete for the TV rights (as opposed to the "gentleman's" agreement/carve up between SKY and the old ESPN)

kick off times etc will be a bummer though..... to be fair to the OP, I'm guessing you mean that if folk down south have us as a second team they'll watch it on TV therefore driving up the revenues for SKY/BT making it worth them raising the stakes?

Billy Whizz
30-07-2013, 10:17 AM

And I don't give a flying one about football south of the border

IWasThere2016
30-07-2013, 10:24 AM
I signed up for it yesterday, and also blagged £12 a month off my package. New router on way too. I doubt I'll watch it too tbh.

Thecat23
30-07-2013, 10:31 AM
How much is it a month if you have Sky? I assume they are going along the lines of ESPN where it was £10 extra a month?

Monktonhall 7
30-07-2013, 10:34 AM
Free if you subscribe to BT broadband

steve75
30-07-2013, 10:35 AM
How much is it a month if you have Sky? I assume they are going along the lines of ESPN where it was £10 extra a month?

Free to add to your sky box if you have BT broadband/fibre. HD is free for a year if you order before august 1st or £3p/m after.

Think it's £12p/m with a £15 activation fee if you're not with BT.

Makaveli
30-07-2013, 10:49 AM
Dunno if we'll get it.

ESPN was much better for other sports than BT looks, and I'll be at all the Scottish games worth watching.

stewpot
30-07-2013, 11:01 AM
Bt have lost millions of broadband customers and see this as a way back for them. Don't think it going to be a big hit. Loads of customers that had espn thought it was *****. I for one would rather attend games

Thecat23
30-07-2013, 11:07 AM
Free to add to your sky box if you have BT broadband/fibre. HD is free for a year if you order before august 1st or £3p/m after.

Think it's £12p/m with a £15 activation fee if you're not with BT.

If just not long changed from Virgin broadband to Sky. Got it free for a year and was free to get it installed so won't be changing to BT so looks like £12 a month.

Just_Jimmy
30-07-2013, 11:11 AM
I wouldnt watch a Scottish game without Hibs in it even if it was free.

I have a season ticket for Hibs and I have no interest in the service they offer.

I have Sky Sports but I am very close to pulling the plug as these companies are taking the piss as they rise prices at every opportunity

Speedway
30-07-2013, 11:14 AM
If just not long changed from Virgin broadband to Sky. Got it free for a year and was free to get it installed so won't be changing to BT so looks like £12 a month.

So if you've got SKY HD, SKY Talk, SKY Fibre etc and have no intention of shifting that lot back to BT, is BT sport £12 a month?

stewpot
30-07-2013, 11:18 AM
So if you've got SKY HD, SKY Talk, SKY Fibre etc and have no intention of shifting that lot back to BT, is BT sport £12 a month?

yeah thats right. add £3 if you want it in HD

oramhibee
30-07-2013, 11:20 AM
Lucky me gets it free, cos I'm with BT:na na:

Speedway
30-07-2013, 11:21 AM
yeah thats right. add £3 if you want it in HD

Thanks.

Are all Hibs live matches shown on BT Sport or is it the usual balls of some being on various Sky Sports channels and some 'as live' being shown on Alba?

BT58
30-07-2013, 11:23 AM
If you have bt broadband you can watch bt sports on sky ( bt1/2 espn)
Wonder if you can watch sky sports on a bt box ??

LongshanksED
30-07-2013, 11:23 AM
Your average SP(F)L game wasn't getting much interest in England. From what I've saw in the past its not even on the tv if there is a championship or even a league 1 or 2 match for that matter. And when a match has been on tv, the Ingerlish just mock it for its poor quality

BT coverage certainly won't hurt the Scottish game but it certainly won't improve it except in a probable increase in tv revenue

Sylar
30-07-2013, 11:25 AM
I can't see how it will be a new beginning TBH.

I'm quite happy to see that BT have taken up the rights to ESPN America but that's about all I'd consider using them for - much like ESPN/Setanta/the others before them, it'll be fringe EPL games for the most part whilst Sky retain the better of the fixtures. It might well broadcast a lot of Scottish games but how does that help get punters back through the gates? If anything, more televised games impacts on scheduling, reduces attendance (as £12 p/m is better than c.£18 p/g) and leaves fans who have paid for STs disgruntled as the frequent alterations to KO times/dates might mean they can't attend all games.

Sadly, the revenue the clubs get from these large TV companies probably exceeds the likely losses from fans who elect to watch the games on TV instead.

stewpot
30-07-2013, 11:26 AM

Thats about how much its worth ( to me anyway )

Gatecrasher
30-07-2013, 11:26 AM
I dont see how this can be any different from ESPN or Setanta. They should e trying to get folk off the couch to the football no glueing them to it.

calumb
30-07-2013, 11:30 AM
Your average SP(F)L game wasn't getting much interest in England. From what I've saw in the past its not even on the tv if there is a championship or even a league 1 or 2 match for that matter. And when a match has been on tv, the Ingerlish just mock it for its poor quality

BT coverage certainly won't hurt the Scottish game but it certainly won't improve it except in a probable increase in tv revenue

But then again not that many people would have that much interest in sitting down to watch a game at 12.15 on a sunday,
Think friday/saturday evenings will be a better time slot and i certainly think supporters going along to the match would prefer these times to the sunday morning jobs.

Ray_
30-07-2013, 11:34 AM

Its only free for the first year and then moves to £12 per month. I just enquired about changing over, but it is cheaper, in the long run, to stay with SKY and add it as a subscription for £12, with a one off £15 set up fee. If you do it before 1st August, the HD comes free, as opposed to the £3 monthly fee.

BT broadband has 10GB download limit option for £10 monthly for a 12 month subscription, didn't think that would be enough, with two teenagers at home and the unlimited version was £16 per month for 18 MTH [free for six month]. This makes the broadband dearer than SKY and the line rental and call charges/packages are also dearer, coupled with the £12 BT sports charge in 12 months, its not as good as the ad's make out.

Just_Jimmy
30-07-2013, 11:34 AM
I can't see how it will be a new beginning TBH.

I'm quite happy to see that BT have taken up the rights to ESPN America but that's about all I'd consider using them for - much like ESPN/Setanta/the others before them, it'll be fringe EPL games for the most part whilst Sky retain the better of the fixtures. It might well broadcast a lot of Scottish games but how does that help get punters back through the gates? If anything, more televised games impacts on scheduling, reduces attendance (as £12 p/m is better than c.£18 p/g) and leaves fans who have paid for STs disgruntled as the frequent alterations to KO times/dates might mean they can't attend all games.

Sadly, the revenue the clubs get from these large TV companies probably exceeds the likely losses from fans who elect to watch the games on TV instead.

So do BT have NCAA football and basketball?

Gatecrasher
30-07-2013, 11:38 AM
So do BT have NCAA football and basketball?

it looks like American Sports wont have their own channel but mixed in with the other stuff.

Speedway
30-07-2013, 11:41 AM
I notice our first two matches aren't even on BT Sports, they are on Sky 4+1 gold challenge dave ja vu catchup.

Eternal Hibbie
30-07-2013, 11:46 AM
What if your with Virgin Broadband ?

Is it still £12 monthly :eek:

Bristolhibby
30-07-2013, 11:56 AM
I like BT with the English Rugby. I support Bath, and 6 of Baths first 7 are live on BT. I believe there are 5 live games per weekend. 1 on Friday, 2x on Saturday and 2 x on Sunday.

With Bath charging a minimum of £30 a pop for a seat, for the equivilent of a CAT B game I'm being priced out of going. TBH I'd rather watch Hibs over Bath.

J

Thecat23
30-07-2013, 12:05 PM

No idea was just going on what someone else was saying. I'll find out soon when I give them a call.

speedy_gonzales
30-07-2013, 12:06 PM
What if your with Virgin Broadband ?

Is it still £12 monthly :eek:

Not available on Virgin,,,,YET!
The chief exec of BT, Gavin Patterson has warned that 'Virgin Media's cable customers may "never" have access to BT's sports content'!

Eternal Hibbie
30-07-2013, 12:32 PM
The chief exec of BT, Gavin Patterson has warned that 'Virgin Media's cable customers may "never" have access to BT's sports content'!

Oh that's good, ain't it !!!

Thanks for getting back to me buddy.

lord bunberry
30-07-2013, 12:37 PM
I won't be paying for it, it would be better for everyone if all the games were on one channel, or better still not on tv at all.

steve75
30-07-2013, 12:43 PM
On this topic, anyone know if I'd be able to sub to BT Vision for £5p/m or whatever it is and get BT sport through that box, and also add the channels to my sky box in a different room? Haven't seen anything mentioning number of boxes etc, just that it's free for broadband customers.

worcesterhibby
30-07-2013, 12:48 PM
My main point was that the Scottish game desperately needs decent revenue from TV contracts, which is currently doesn't get. BT have entered the market and hopefully SPFL matches will become a staple part of the football that they offer, which means that when they come to renegotiate in 2017, Sky will want to nick it back off them and there will be a decent bidding process that helps fund development of the game.

Make no mistake a LOT of people who won't pay for Sky sports in England are switching to BT broadband so that they get Free EPL matches and these will be new customers for Scottish football. The more viewers we get, the more advertising revenue BT will make and the more SPFL matches will be worth in future.

I don't for one minute think it will drive more people to matches. But if Scotland is to ever have a decent league again, we need decent TV revenue to fund wages. BT is a small step in the right direction IMHO as at least it will introduce some much needed competition to Sky.

DH1875
30-07-2013, 02:15 PM

Wonder what virgin have in mind for the XL package as ESPN was part of that and they'll lose thousands of customers if they continue to charge that price without the sports.

Just Alf
30-07-2013, 02:30 PM
Wonder what virgin have in mind for the XL package as ESPN was part of that and they'll lose thousands of customers if they continue to charge that price without the sports.

I've heard that BT Sport is indeed coming to Virgin.... the bit that's up in the air currently is whether Virgin are going to include it in the XL package or as standalone extra channels (i.e. paid for separately)

greenlex
30-07-2013, 02:44 PM
I had bumped Sky for the TV when I was made redundant in Jan. Saturday they got the call about the brioadband and telephone to see if they could match BT's offere. They could not come near it. They made a couple of offers but were way off the pace. I am switching to BT for my phone and broadband and will get the sports free. The Sky dude in retentions sounded really depressed. Reading between the lines (cos obviously he aint gonna say) Sky must be losing customers hand over fist to BT.
To anyone who is interested BT are getting first pick at 30 of the fixtures over the season in the EPL. dont know the whats what up here tho. To be honest the Sport thing is a bonus as they were much better price wise for the rest than Sky.

Sylar
30-07-2013, 02:44 PM
it looks like American Sports wont have their own channel but mixed in with the other stuff.

Don't BT Sport have multiple channels?

I rue the day the ESPN were allowed to take over the NASN channel - it's never been anywhere near as good since!

Edit: I came across the following on the NFL UK website:

Thank you for contacting us.

The new ESPN channel will continue the same level of great coverage as ESPN America with regards to college football. ESPN within the BT portfolio of channels will be free for all customers who have BT Broadband.
I hope this has helped.

Aldo
30-07-2013, 02:46 PM

Not received any notification from virgin re losing Espn. Have only seen the scroll bars across the channel. i have the XL package as well. Looks like the small print strikes again.

If they don't give me done sort of replacement at no extra cost then they can say Cheerio do my dosh at the earliest opportunity. Kids will be disappointed but see what Virgin says?

patlowe
30-07-2013, 06:07 PM
Agree with the OP in that the arrival of BT Sport offers at least a glimmer of hope of competition in relation to the selling of rights to show SPL football. Regardless of how average the league has been over recent years, Sky have had a bit of a bargain when you compare the deal with others around Europe.

speedy_gonzales
30-07-2013, 06:31 PM
Not received any notification from virgin re losing Espn. Have only seen the scroll bars across the channel. i have the XL package as well. Looks like the small print strikes again.

If they don't give me done sort of replacement at no extra cost then they can say Cheerio do my dosh at the earliest opportunity. Kids will be disappointed but see what Virgin says?

Fyi, VirginMedia Announcement (http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=7615&CURRENT_CMD=SEARCH&CONFIGURATION=1001&PARTITION_ID=1&USERTYPE=1&LANGUAGE=en&COUNTY=us&VM_CUSTOMER_TYPE=Cable)

JohnStephens91
30-07-2013, 06:32 PM
Someone that I know got a job with BT Sport for the coverage of Scottish football. In all the time I've known him he just slates the game, constantly called clubs like Hibs and Hearts 'small diddy clubs that aren't worth the time supporting' and genuinely doesn't know a thing about Scottish football as he is too preoccupied with the EPL. If more people like him are getting jobs with BT Sport and they have no knowledge of the historical backgrounds of even one club then it will come across like that. Can't see it being a new beginning if doom-mongers like him are reporting on our league set-up.

Gatecrasher
30-07-2013, 06:35 PM
Don't BT Sport have multiple channels?

I rue the day the ESPN were allowed to take over the NASN channel - it's never been anywhere near as good since!

Edit: I came across the following on the NFL UK website:

Thank you for contacting us.

The new ESPN channel will continue the same level of great coverage as ESPN America with regards to college football. ESPN within the BT portfolio of channels will be free for all customers who have BT Broadband.
I hope this has helped.

I think your right, I misread the web site i was looking at.

Aldo
30-07-2013, 06:36 PM
Fyi, VirginMedia Announcement (http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=7615&CURRENT_CMD=SEARCH&CONFIGURATION=1001&PARTITION_ID=1&USERTYPE=1&LANGUAGE=en&COUNTY=us&VM_CUSTOMER_TYPE=Cable)

Spooky that Speedy. Just been sent a message by VM on ma TiVo box. Twats

Gordon Quinn
30-07-2013, 06:57 PM
Its only free for the first year and then moves to £12 per month. I just enquired about changing over, but it is cheaper, in the long run, to stay with SKY and add it as a subscription for £12, with a one off £15 set up fee. If you do it before 1st August, the HD comes free, as opposed to the £3 monthly fee.

BT broadband has 10GB download limit option for £10 monthly for a 12 month subscription, didn't think that would be enough, with two teenagers at home and the unlimited version was £16 per month for 18 MTH [free for six month]. This makes the broadband dearer than SKY and the line rental and call charges/packages are also dearer, coupled with the £12 BT sports charge in 12 months, its not as good as the ad's make out.

Originally Posted by oramhibee

'Its only free for the first year and then moves to £12 per month'.

I'm afraid this is incorrect. BT Sport is completely free as long as you are a BT Broadband customer. It does not change to £12 after a year. I work for them and know a little about this (although not in that dept so by no means an oracle). Feel free to correct me by pasting your 12m info from the BT website but I don't think you'll find anything.

A bit pedantic but I need to look after my pension fund:greengrin

Haymaker
30-07-2013, 07:08 PM
As someone who has grown up in England I can easily say that the vast majority of English football fans could not give a **** about our game. Most of my friends couldnt name more than 3 Scottish teams.

It wont make an impression. They do not want our product. Scottish football needs to look at improving our product rather than chasing tv cash for our poor product as it is now.

Baader
30-07-2013, 07:16 PM
Someone that I know got a job with BT Sport for the coverage of Scottish football. In all the time I've known him he just slates the game, constantly called clubs like Hibs and Hearts 'small diddy clubs that aren't worth the time supporting' and genuinely doesn't know a thing about Scottish football as he is too preoccupied with the EPL. If more people like him are getting jobs with BT Sport and they have no knowledge of the historical backgrounds of even one club then it will come across like that. Can't see it being a new beginning if doom-mongers like him are reporting on our league set-up.

I've just started as one of the editors there so there's one Hibby on board to put them right!!

Ray_
30-07-2013, 07:26 PM
I had bumped Sky for the TV when I was made redundant in Jan. Saturday they got the call about the brioadband and telephone to see if they could match BT's offere. They could not come near it. They made a couple of offers but were way off the pace. I am switching to BT for my phone and broadband and will get the sports free. The Sky dude in retentions sounded really depressed. Reading between the lines (cos obviously he aint gonna say) Sky must be losing customers hand over fist to BT.
To anyone who is interested BT are getting first pick at 30 of the fixtures over the season in the EPL. dont know the whats what up here tho. To be honest the Sport thing is a bonus as they were much better price wise for the rest than Sky.

Initially for me yes, with the unlimited usage broadband on the 16MG download speed, with BT it comes as an 18 month contract, 6 of them free & the BT Sport is free for 12 month and then £12 thereafter [price rises apart]. So with roughly the same package, over the 18 month BT contract, you will be paying £702 for Sky & £668.10 for BT. However, if you keep them for two years SKY becomes £936 and BT £970 and every year after that BT will cost £604 compared to SKY's £468.

Sky Talk Line Rental £14.50
Sky Talk Anytime £ 5.00
Sky Broadband Unlimited £ 7.50
BT Sport £12.00 x18

Total for 18MTH £702

BT Line Rental £15.45
Anytime BT £ 7.00
Broadband Unlimited £16.00 18 MTH Contract, 6 MTH free
BT Sport Free 12MTH 6x£12 to cover 18MTH contract.

Total for 18MTH £668.10

Gosh, I'm off this week and got too much time on my hands!

DH1875
30-07-2013, 07:28 PM

TV XL customer?If you’re a TV XL customer and have ESPN as part of your package there won't be a change to pricing when we stop showing these channels.

That'll cost the thousands as take away ESPN and there's not much between the XL package and the Large package :bitchy:

Carheenlea
30-07-2013, 07:39 PM
As someone who has grown up in England I can easily say that the vast majority of English football fans could not give a **** about our game. Most of my friends couldnt name more than 3 Scottish teams.

It wont make an impression. They do not want our product. Scottish football needs to look at improving our product rather than chasing tv cash for our poor product as it is now.

I am one who cares not a jot for English football, and the names of most of the last English national side meant nothing to me. Having not watched an English game for easily over 5 years on telly I genuinely have no knowledge of the game South of the Border whatsoever. Did have a day out at a Newcastle United game at Christmas and enjoyed it, but watching football on the telly is of no interest to me nowadays.
I'm sure there will be a few football addicts in England who are happy to watch anything, but I'd say most will have little interest in Scottish football apart from if Rangers were to draw Celtic in the cup.

Truth is, that if I was asked if I was a football man, I'd have to answer no. Only interested in Hibs, and keep also a keen eye on the demise of Hearts. Even International football interest has pretty much evaporated.

Just Alf
30-07-2013, 07:40 PM
Initially for me yes, with the unlimited usage broadband on the 16MG download speed, with BT it comes as an 18 month contract, 6 of them free & the BT Sport is free for 12 month and then £12 thereafter [price rises apart]. So with roughly the same package, over the 18 month BT contract, you will be paying £702 for Sky & £668.10 for BT. However, if you keep them for two years SKY becomes £936 and BT £970 and every year after that BT will cost £604 compared to SKY's £468.

Sky Talk Anytime £ 5.00
BT Sport £12.00 x18

Total for 18MTH £702

BT Line Rental £15.45
Anytime BT £ 7.00
BT Sport Free 12MTH £6x£12 to cover 18MTH contract.

Total for 18MTH £668.10

Just to be clear (Just double checked the website) BT Sport is free as long as you're a BT Broadband customer.
The bit that does change is the HD element if you take it (I can't as I'm on freeview) ... that is free for 12 months and then £3 per month thereafter

Ray_
30-07-2013, 07:46 PM
Just to be clear (Just double checked the website) BT Sport is free as long as you're a BT Broadband customer.
The bit that does change is the HD element if you take it (I can't as I'm on freeview) ... that is free for 12 months and then £3 per month thereafter

I was going to change this morning until I was told by BT that BT Sport is free to BT Broadband customer for twelve months only, after that it costs them £12 per month. The HD is free to anybody who signs up for BT Sport before August 1.

speedy_gonzales
30-07-2013, 07:55 PM
TV XL customer?
Aye, been on the phone to Virgin for an hour and a half tonight trying to renegotiate my package,,,I downsized it at the end of last season and in anticipation of a decent offer coming our way with the advent of BT Sport.
So far, nothing!
I spent ages trying to cancel but in the end I got a package, with sports/movies in HD plus the same phone/internet/TV I have at present, for the same price! Seems daft but they only look after customers that are leaving, not staying!

Just Alf
30-07-2013, 08:13 PM
I was going to change this morning until I was told by BT that BT Sport is free to BT Broadband customer for twelve months only, after that it costs them £12 per month. The HD is free to anybody who signs up for BT Sport before August 1.

Just double checked it... you've got me doubting myself!

it clearly says in their T's & C's that it's free as part of the broadband package, the "discount" (i.e. getting it free) continues every time you renew, the only cost that gets added is the £3 for HD and that's free for 12 months if ordered before 1st of August.

if the BT call centre is giving out duff info what chance have people got to understand it! :rolleyes:

Edit: it's this renewal bit that is the driver behind BT giving Sport for free, reading it again you need to sign up for anther 12 months each time to keep getting it free

greenlex
30-07-2013, 08:26 PM

Sky Talk Anytime £ 5.00
BT Sport £12.00 x18

Total for 18MTH £702

BT Line Rental £15.45
Anytime BT £ 7.00
BT Sport Free 12MTH 6x£12 to cover 18MTH contract.

Total for 18MTH £668.10

yup too much time. :greengrin
Paying upfront for the line rental down to £11 p/m equivalent. BT Sport free for 12 months and will be ditched if it costs after that. Cannae be ersed looking at the sky contract but it was more for unlimited than BT was where I am. I have a 40 m limit on Sky at he moment. Again can't be bothered to look at the calculations but over the piece I was a tenner a month better off and got the BT Sport for a year too. The packages were free evening and weekend cals as I don't articulately use the house phone much. Sky also charge you for 0845 numbers whereas BT don't.
oh aye and a free £40 Sainsbury gift card thingy.

McD
30-07-2013, 08:37 PM
Just double checked it... you've got me doubting myself!

it clearly says in their T's & C's that it's free as part of the broadband package, the "discount" (i.e. getting it free) continues every time you renew, the only cost that gets added is the £3 for HD and that's free for 12 months if ordered before 1st of August.

if the BT call centre is giving out duff info what chance have people got to understand it! :rolleyes:

Edit: it's this renewal bit that is the driver behind BT giving Sport for free, reading it again you need to sign up for anther 12 months each time to keep getting it free

Although there seems to be a bit confusion around the costs after the initial 12 months, what's to stop BT hiking the prices in 12 months time for the broadband. They're ploughing something like £687 million into just the English premiership over the next few years, they're gonna try to get their money somehow.

Just Alf
30-07-2013, 08:44 PM
Although there seems to be a bit confusion around the costs after the initial 12 months, what's to stop BT hiking the prices in 12 months time for the broadband. They're ploughing something like £687 million into just the English premiership over the next few years, they're gonna try to get their money somehow.

That's fair comment but from everything I've read the key thing for BT here is the share of the Broadband market, doing this 12 month re-sign thing is an attempt at locking you into their broadband.... which is perfectly fine if it's fit for purpose.

disclaimer (been a few days since I said it last so better repeat it!).... I do work for BT but in the business space and have nothing at all to do with BT Sport, Broadband or the consumer sides of the business!

Ray_
30-07-2013, 08:57 PM

I'm afraid this is incorrect. BT Sport is completely free as long as you are a BT Broadband customer. It does not change to £12 after a year. I work for them and know a little about this (although not in that dept so by no means an oracle). Feel free to correct me by pasting your 12m info from the BT website but I don't think you'll find anything.

Sorry Gordon, only just noticed this. I went on the BT web site this morning to change to BT and I went on to the chat option, to ask about the broadband option and this was where I was told that BT Sport is only free for the first year and then £12 thereafter. If I wasn't told it wasn't continuous I would have signed up to broadband deal instead of just BT Sport. I actually said to the lady who was answering my query that the ad's didn't make it clear that the free sports only lasted a year.

Ray_
30-07-2013, 09:16 PM

Hi Gordon, just went on BT Live Chat again and coincidentally I got the same operator, I cut & pasted the conversation..

Ray: Hi Nikki, I was told earlier today by somebody called Nikki on BT chat that with BT broadband the free BT Sport only last's a year and then you have to pay £12 after that.
Ray: Can you tell me if that's right, as a BT employee tells me that is wrong?

Nikki: At the moment there is no price confirmed for BT broadband customers taking BT sports after the initial 12 months.
Nikki: It does however cost £12 a month for sky customers to add BT sports to their account
Nikki: That is why, when we spoke, £12 was mentioned
Nikki: It will more than likely be cheaper for existing customers
Nikki: But as nothing is confirmed yet, I gave you the worst case scenario
Ray: So just now the free BT Sport is only for one year?
Nikki: Yes, free for 12 months
Ray: Thanks Nikki, the BT employee seems to think the free BT Sport lasts as long as you are a BT broadband customer.
Nikki: Not that I am aware of. May be a special BT employee offer, but as it stands, free for 12 months only
Ray: Thanks Nikki.

Just Alf
30-07-2013, 09:18 PM
Sorry Gordon, only just noticed this. I went on the BT web site this morning to change to BT and I went on to the chat option, to ask about the broadband option and this was where I was told that BT Sport is only free for the first year and then £12 thereafter. If I wasn't told it wasn't continuous I would have signed up to broadband deal instead of just BT Sport. I actually said to the lady who was answering my query that the ad's didn't make it clear that the free sports only lasted a year.

That's a shocker then..... That advisor is chasing customers away!..... The t&cs state that its free for 12 months and that the (free) discount is applied if you sign up for a further 12 months at each renewal.
On iPad now so not sure how to link to it but its on the BT.com website under sport and the legal stuff link is at the very bottom of page.

Edit. Just spotted the cut and paste of the web chat..... I'll need to have another read when I get to a PC.... I'm not normally that thick though!.... Might be wishful thinking of course... Unless one of you guys can have a read and see what your take is?

Edit2.... This bit
BT Sport is also available on the Sky Digital Satellite Platform or BT TV with Infinity for new and existing broadband customers who sign up for 12 months or have 12 months remaining on their contract; ongoing renewal needed to get discounted BT Sport.

Ray_
30-07-2013, 09:26 PM
That's a shocker then..... That advisor is chasing customers away!..... The t&cs state that its free for 12 months and that the (free) discount is applied if you sign up for a further 12 months at each renewal.
On iPad now so not sure how to link to it but its on the BT.com website under sport and the legal stuff link is at the very bottom of page.

I was certainly chased as i went from getting the broadband to only getting the BT Sport, one thing that doesn't match, the unlimited broadband comes in 18 month contracts, not 12 and I think that's why I mentioned to Nikki the Sports contract beyond 12 month and I was told the £12 thereafter.

Just Alf
30-07-2013, 09:31 PM
I was certainly chased as i went from getting the broadband to only getting the BT Sport, one thing that doesn't match, the unlimited broadband comes in 18 month contracts, not 12 and I think that's why I mentioned to Nikki the Sports contract beyond 12 month and I was told the £12 thereafter.

Not a great experience.... Looking again at those dam ts and cs I'm now doubting myself :-(

Will see if I can get a definitive answer tomorrow and let you know., caveat being that I've nothing to do with these guys :-/

HUTCHYHIBBY
30-07-2013, 09:43 PM
Promising news re BT Sport on Virgin possibly? (http://www.cable.co.uk/news/virgin-media-reportedly-close-to-bt-sport-carriage-deal-801618459/) :I'm waiti

3pm
30-07-2013, 09:54 PM
Will Hibs be allowed to play at 5.30 on a Saturday night (the home games)?

DH1875
30-07-2013, 10:01 PM
Will Hibs be allowed to play at 5.30 on a Saturday night (the home games)?

So long as it's not against the yams, I don't see why not.

mikethehibee69
30-07-2013, 10:33 PM
So what's happening to espn?

Sir David Gray
30-07-2013, 11:40 PM
So what's happening to espn?

ESPN is being retained as a channel but will only be available through the BT Sport package from Thursday as BT have bought it up.

Bobby's Cinema
31-07-2013, 12:05 AM
Moving home in September for a 12 month period and I cant decide what's the best way to go with this. Pesky Line rental

Just Alf
31-07-2013, 08:19 AM
Update on "Free" period.

Right, I've done some digging.

The T's & C's I've quoted earlier relate to new take up *only* .... i.e. if you want free BT Sport you need to have at least 12 months to go on your Broadband account (or re-sign if you've under that).

At the end of the 12 months BT are NOT CLEAR on what will happen, no decision has been made/shared... all I can find is that it's all under review and a decision will be made nearer the time, so as it stands it won't automatically remain free..... from past experience (in other areas admittedly) if you simply continue onto a rolling contract then you'll be paying for Sport at that point, however if you sign up for another 12 month stint (i.e. locked in) then it's free .... as I said that's in my own area so cant be guaranteed but at least it's being done elsewhere in the business at the moment.

GlenrothesHibee
31-07-2013, 08:49 AM
And I don't give a flying one about football south of the border

Dito

Ray_
31-07-2013, 09:21 AM
Update on "Free" period.

Right, I've done some digging.

The T's & C's I've quoted earlier relate to new take up *only* .... i.e. if you want free BT Sport you need to have at least 12 months to go on your Broadband account (or re-sign if you've under that).

At the end of the 12 months BT are NOT CLEAR on what will happen, no decision has been made/shared... all I can find is that it's all under review and a decision will be made nearer the time, so as it stands it won't automatically remain free..... from past experience (in other areas admittedly) if you simply continue onto a rolling contract then you'll be paying for Sport at that point, however if you sign up for another 12 month stint (i.e. locked in) then it's free .... as I said that's in my own area so cant be guaranteed but at least it's being done elsewhere in the business at the moment.

Thanks Alf, if your tied up to an 18 month contract, as you need to be with unlimited broadband, there would be six month of your contract left when the 12 MTH Sport deal ends, can you just re-sign a new 18MTH deal when you have a third of your original deal left?

The other thing, for somebody who is a SKY TV customer, after that six month free period has ended for BT Broadband, the additional costs for BT Broadband and comparable telephone services, you would make an annual saving of £2 by having the BT option, [this includes the £12 subscription paid to BT Sport for SKY customers] , but you would only be £2 up if BT Sport remained free. Any subscription charge by BT for the Sport, to their customers, would then make SKY the cheaper option.

Just Alf
31-07-2013, 10:59 AM
Thanks Alf, if your tied up to an 18 month contract, as you need to be with unlimited broadband, there would be six month of your contract left when the 12 MTH Sport deal ends, can you just re-sign a new 18MTH deal when you have a third of your original deal left?

certainly in my area you can (system contracts and the like), I know in consumer that's also happened so that someone can get a free router..... I need to stress, I am not involved in that side of the business and don't know what way they could go.

The other thing, for somebody who is a SKY TV customer, after that six month free period has ended for BT Broadband, the additional costs for BT Broadband and comparable telephone services, you would make an annual saving of £2 by having the BT option, [this includes the £12 subscription paid to BT Sport for SKY customers] , but you would only be £2 up if BT Sport remained free. Any subscription charge by BT for the Sport, to their customers, would then make SKY the cheaper option.

yup, that's how it looks to me as well.

HUTCHYHIBBY
31-07-2013, 11:04 AM
As blackpoolhibs is fond of saying "its only money" ;-)

seanshow
31-07-2013, 12:06 PM
english football,english rugby, 16 sevco away matches on a friday night. Doesnt leave much on offer from a hibs point of view. lol

Ray_
31-07-2013, 12:11 PM
certainly in my area you can (system contracts and the like), I know in consumer that's also happened so that someone can get a free router..... I need to stress, I am not involved in that side of the business and don't know what way they could go.

yup, that's how it looks to me as well.

Thanks Alf.

jgl07
31-07-2013, 01:43 PM
I certainly will not be paying to subscribe to BT Sport.

I got Setanta and then ESPN free with my Virgin Media package. Hopefully that will apply with BT Sport. If not I will either ignore their matches or use other means to watch.

I get the impression that BT Sport is all about selling BT Broadband packages so may not be inclined to cut a deal with Virgin Media.

JohnStephens91
31-07-2013, 01:50 PM
I've just started as one of the editors there so there's one Hibby on board to put them right!!

Don't get me wrong, he is a very good journalist and one of the best on our course, he just doesn't really understand the historical value of Scottish football or even watched a match for years until he got the BT Sport job. Hopefully you make sure he gets it pretty soon :wink:

SOLGirl
31-07-2013, 02:02 PM
We have Sky tv with Plusnet broadband and a BT phone line. Swithering about making a last minute change to BT broadband to get BT sport so called PlusNet for a MAC code (needed for changing broadband providers). The lady on the phone said Plusnet were hoping to have access to BT sport shortly but didn't expand. Can anyone shed any light on is? The deadline is fast approaching and I still can't decide what to do!

wpj
31-07-2013, 02:22 PM
I know it's wrong but I now pick and choose what games I watch via internet (although I try to make Quinns for the Hibs games because of the menu)

blackpoolhibs
31-07-2013, 03:05 PM
As blackpoolhibs is fond of saying "its only money" ;-)

It might only be money, but i wouldnt give sky the steam off my pish. This is a much better way to spend your money in my opinion. :wink:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Skybox-f3-f5-/111114179278?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Other&hash=item19deebd2ce

BT58
01-08-2013, 10:28 AM
beware,,,,i got bt infinity2 with bt sports 1/2/ espn,,,i cannot use box in living room as i have sky installed on main tv
i did however put the bt box in to bedroom tv using wireless adaptors, [able to get freeview]
now when i got this box they never said that these adaptors would not let me see the sports channels,, it seems that i have to now get a cable to run through house from lounge to bedroom :confused::confused:
have been on phone to BT all morning,,getting punted from operator to operator !!!!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
not very good,,,i am glad ive only a years contract,,,
bt

Aldo
01-08-2013, 10:35 AM
Aye, been on the phone to Virgin for an hour and a half tonight trying to renegotiate my package,,,I downsized it at the end of last season and in anticipation of a decent offer coming our way with the advent of BT Sport.
So far, nothing!
I spent ages trying to cancel but in the end I got a package, with sports/movies in HD plus the same phone/internet/TV I have at present, for the same price! Seems daft but they only look after customers that are leaving, not staying!

I'm gonnae phone them and tell them to bolt, unless I get a similar deal you have Speedy.

I have the XL package, its not cheap but like my ESPN sports channel. I will defo state I know folk you have given a deal (rod for their own back) and see what they will do (prob nowt but will just cancel and giro BT or Sky.

Scorrie
01-08-2013, 11:07 AM
Am on Virgin media and from what I have seen this morning, there is no agreement between them and BT sport so at the moment, Virgin will not be showing BT Sport. ESPN has gone (just checked on my TV) but price for XL package the same! Unless they include BT Sport as part of XL package, then thats pretty bad. May need to phone VM and see if they are willing to do a deal as well

HH81
01-08-2013, 04:01 PM
Thought it was getting switched on today?

Ray_
01-08-2013, 04:07 PM

I noticed ESPN was on today [was off yesterday], I got rid at the end of last season & signed up to the BT Sport a couple of days ago, so that was activated today.

BT58
01-08-2013, 04:07 PM

ESPN has been on since this morning,,,i think that BT 1/2 starts at 1830
bt

HH81
01-08-2013, 04:09 PM
Cheers guys i will check it at half 6.

Espn is on right enough.

JimBHibees
01-08-2013, 04:16 PM
I think it starts at 6. Showing the Munich Man City game tonight.

Notahappyhibee
01-08-2013, 04:17 PM
Espn America has gone but Espn is staying

Notahappyhibee
01-08-2013, 04:19 PM
Bt sport is on sky 413HD 426 not HD and the 2nd channel is 414 not HD

HUTCHYHIBBY
01-08-2013, 04:32 PM
Promising news re BT Sport on Virgin possibly? (http://www.cable.co.uk/news/virgin-media-reportedly-close-to-bt-sport-carriage-deal-801618459/) :I'm waiti

Nowt to see here so far.

West hamBERNIAN
01-08-2013, 04:35 PM
I think it starts at 6. Showing the Munich Man City game tonight.

Just going to get it turned on now. Really looking forward to the new season and that starts tomorrow night, Partick vs dundee utd. I also like the kick off times. Miss those nights under the floodlights and I think the atmosphere will be good too, providing were not all watching on the tele. Also really like UFC and I gather there going to get right involved with that so it's all good for me.
Ps I don't work for BT

DrSpaceMonkey
01-08-2013, 07:04 PM
I've not subscribed to BT Sports but I'm watching it now? Is it free for the 1st day or has someone cocked up?

HH81
01-08-2013, 07:42 PM
The Bt app is very good.

West hamBERNIAN
01-08-2013, 08:05 PM
I've not subscribed to BT Sports but I'm watching it now? Is it free for the 1st day or has someone cocked up?
Guy on the phone said 3hrs free view when I called to get involved.

Sir David Gray
01-08-2013, 08:13 PM
BT Sport is free today to Freeview and Sky viewers.

The subscription period starts from tomorrow.

DH1875
01-08-2013, 08:54 PM
BT Sport is free today to Freeview and Sky viewers.

The subscription period starts from tomorrow.

Anything good on?

Gatecrasher
01-08-2013, 08:55 PM
Anything good on?
college football live is on now :thumbsup:

Notahappyhibee
02-08-2013, 06:07 PM
I've went and got BT sport and now it's not there ( sky ) any one else any issues :-(

HH81
02-08-2013, 06:09 PM
Working here mate.

JoeTortolanoFanClub
02-08-2013, 06:34 PM
Anything good on?

Jags v Arabs on soon on BTSport1. App for Windows is excellent. Great stream.

Magnifique
02-08-2013, 06:40 PM

Not looking too great for it on Virgin

I got a better package a few months ago and believe I'm tied in for a year, as I'm not getting ESPN anymore and if we don't get BT I wonder if I might be able to wriggle out of contract. Anybody tried?

brian6-2
02-08-2013, 06:41 PM
Not looking too great for it on Virgin

I got a better package a few months ago and believe I'm tied in for a year, as I'm not getting ESPN anymore and if we don't get BT I wonder if I might be able to wriggle out of contract. Anybody tried?

are you with sky?

hibeesdude
02-08-2013, 06:44 PM
Needs to improve on sound quality for commentary very muted

Magnifique
02-08-2013, 06:45 PM
are you with sky?

No Virgin got a better price from them about 3 months ago and was told I would be tied into another years contract (had been with them a year previous to that)

But now I'm wondering if I can wriggle out as they are not supplying what they were and a big reason for me being with them

Viva_Palmeiras
02-08-2013, 06:46 PM
Sorry sound muted was the applause for Lawrie Reilly?

brian6-2
02-08-2013, 06:46 PM
No Virgin got a better price from them about 3 months ago and was told I would be tied into another years contract (had been with them a year previous to that)

But now I'm wondering if I can wriggle out as they are not supplying what they were and a big reason for me being with them

Ah i see, my dad got out his contract with sky for the same reason so its worth a bash.

TAHibby
02-08-2013, 06:48 PM
Free BT today not working for anyone else with sky?

hibeesdude
02-08-2013, 06:49 PM
No I meant the actual commentary team are very muted/muffled im game compared to normal TV games.

Viva_Palmeiras
02-08-2013, 06:49 PM
Free BT today not working for anyone else with sky?

Download the app mate

Magnifique
02-08-2013, 06:50 PM
Ah i see, my dad got out his contract with sky for the same reason so its worth a bash.

Thanks mate, I will call them tomorrow and cause a stoodhie

TAHibby
02-08-2013, 06:52 PM
Download the app mate

:aok:

Billy Whizz
02-08-2013, 06:54 PM
I'm having a mare with this. Have BT broadband and signed up on line. At this time of year I have a problem with Sky due to overthrown trees across the road, no satellite signal. Thought I would download the BT app instead, you need to wait around 14 days for a PIN number.
3rd and last, we also have BT Vision, thought I could watch it this way, again no luck, as you have to send off for a special viewing card.
I'll have to do with the radio instead!!!

brian6-2
02-08-2013, 06:54 PM
Thanks mate, I will call them tomorrow and cause a stoodhie

nae probs, also worth noting mate, a guy i work with was with virgin and he had been with them a couple of years, he had his broadband and tv with them, i dont know if it was a case of getting someone decent on the phone or not but he phoned them and simply said he had lost his job and couldnt afford it and they cancelled the lot no questions asked. might be worth a bash as well :thumbsup:

Simkin911
02-08-2013, 06:58 PM
The sound reminds of a call I had with a customer one day. I could hardly hear the guy on the phone and wondered if it was my phone. He could hear me perfectly. However, he'd had the same problem all day long. Folk couldn't hear him.

We abandoned the call.

The following week I received a call from him apologising. Turned out on of his colleagues had put a sticker from a granny smith apple over the mouthpiece and he hasn't noticed. "Office banter".

Yes, BT have to improve the commentary sound for the 2nd presenter.

Viva_Palmeiras
02-08-2013, 07:02 PM
:aok:

Fwiw Ive got it working perfectly on the app but on Sky 413 its a but jumpy/jittery. I've not got the HD which I should have got.

silverhibee
02-08-2013, 07:03 PM
Got it no thanks to Virgin Media.

Billy Whizz
02-08-2013, 07:04 PM
Fwiw Ive got it working perfectly on the app but on Sky 413 its a but jumpy/jittery. I've not got the HD which I should have got.

Did you apply for a code a few weeks ago?

Viva_Palmeiras
02-08-2013, 07:11 PM
Did you apply for a code a few weeks ago?

No I've been with Bt openworld (broad band) since it was available I only spoke to get the channels last night and it was all sorted dunno anything about a pin code I just logged on with my email and pw jobs a good 'un said I needed to download the app (I was on the iPad) so I did.

hibeesdude
02-08-2013, 07:13 PM
Ahh weirdly sound is better on iPad or on the non hd channel

Viva_Palmeiras
02-08-2013, 07:14 PM
Anything good on?
College mudwrestling ;)
Gremio v Corinthians (spit)
Some poker dudes drinking Jack Daniels ;)

down-the-slope
02-08-2013, 07:51 PM
Really enjoyed BTS last night and the game tonight is much better produced than ESPN

The_Todd
02-08-2013, 07:56 PM
I understand BT Sport using this as a way of driving people to their broadband, but on the other hand by not agreeing to a deal with Virgin Media yet surely they're reducing the total audience they can reach which impacts revenue from subscriptions and advertising?

I'm very grumpy.

Treadstone
02-08-2013, 08:04 PM
I understand BT Sport using this as a way of driving people to their broadband, but on the other hand by not agreeing to a deal with Virgin Media yet surely they're reducing the total audience they can reach which impacts revenue from subscriptions and advertising?

I'm very grumpy.

BT want the broadband market. Giving the channels to Virgin would make people less likely to change broadband provider.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23527897

Media analyst Steve Hewlett said BT had invested £1bn in the project and was paying £450m to £500m a year on sports contents.
That sport outlay would, he said, lead to an annual loss of between £250m to £300m.
But he said the move was to prevent it losing its broadband customers to Sky, which could otherwise have cost it up to £700m a year.
Mr Hewlett said that the underlying battle between the two firms was for supremacy in the triple-play market - the bundling of television, telephone and broadband.

Hermit Crab
02-08-2013, 08:08 PM
Watching the thistle game. Our old friend Craig Thomson just let 3 shockers go. Never changes does it.

Viva_Palmeiras
02-08-2013, 08:09 PM

I'm very grumpy.

Ive not followed as close resl ently but I'd suggest that BTs competitor is Virgin rather that Sky. In fact from a Sky perspective they'd also like to see Virgins potency dented. Sky and Bt also have other tie-ups.
I don't know the answer to this but once Bt infinity is in your area are you better off with A BT triple play (bb, phone, TV) than Virgin? Plus Virgin seem to have an aversion to plumbing in folks that can physically see the blummin cable they (Telewest) laid in the street (may have to ask Bruce Langham about that one ;)

down-the-slope
02-08-2013, 08:09 PM
Very happy BT Broadband customer watching game in HD with great production.....for free :greengrin

The_Todd
02-08-2013, 08:11 PM
BT want the broadband market. Giving the channels to Virgin would make people less likely to change broadband provider.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23527897

I know this, but realistically VM's television platform is much superior to BTVision. It's a pain in the arse not having ESPN on VM anymore but I won't switch just for this because of this fact, and the fact I'm in the middle of a contract and I'm sure I'm far from the only one. So with this in mind, they're losing the money they'd get from VM and sponsors from me subscribing and watching their adverts.

Even Sky, who would no doubt love all of VM's customers, aren't daft enough to withhold Sky Sports and other channels from the VM platform.

Hermit Crab
02-08-2013, 08:11 PM
Another shocker of a tackle. High and over the ball and he only booked the boy.

The_Todd
02-08-2013, 08:17 PM
Ive not followed as close resl ently but I'd suggest that BTs competitor is Virgin rather that Sky. In fact from a Sky perspective they'd also like to see Virgins potency dented. Sky and Bt also have other tie-ups.
I don't know the answer to this but once Bt infinity is in your area are you better off with A BT triple play (bb, phone, TV) than Virgin? Plus Virgin seem to have an aversion to plumbing in folks that can physically see the blummin cable they (Telewest) laid in the street (may have to ask Bruce Langham about that one ;)

Sky and Virgin are also competitors, but Sky are smart enough to make their channels available to the other platform. BT now are more than just a platform, with this new channel they're now also a content provider whereas Virgin are only a platform. Therefore you'd think they'd want their content on as many platforms as possible.

And as I've already said, I can't switch now because of my contract with Virgin and also I really don't see anything in BT Vision that makes me want to drop TiVo in my living room and V+ HD in my bedroom, BT Sports aside. Not worth switching just for that.

Viva_Palmeiras
02-08-2013, 08:17 PM
Jags certainly not there just to make up the numbers

Viva_Palmeiras
02-08-2013, 08:19 PM
Would be good to see United thwarted also. ESP bad willie. Must be good being a thistle fan to get one over Jackie M Jnr

Billy Whizz
02-08-2013, 08:20 PM
Jags certainly not there just to make up the numbers

Would a Jags win this evening, effectively relegate Hearts, even if they survive until the end of the season

Hermit Crab
02-08-2013, 08:23 PM
Would a Jags win this evening, effectively relegate Hearts, even if they survive until the end of the season

They play Partick away last game before the split. :D

Viva_Palmeiras
02-08-2013, 08:24 PM
Sky and Virgin are also competitors, but Sky are smart enough to make their channels available to the other platform. BT now are more than just a platform, with this new channel they're now also a content provider whereas Virgin are only a platform. Therefore you'd think they'd want their content on as many platforms as possible.

And as I've already said, I can't switch now because of my contract with Virgin and also I really don't see anything in BT Vision that makes me want to drop TiVo in my living room and V+ HD in my bedroom, BT Sports aside. Not worth switching just for that.

Sky weren't smart tho they were pulled up by the regulators. Anyway it's a Friday night and I'm just happy to know Hibees are back on Sunday! Btw is the derby on BT? I'm travelling back by train from London...

btw Jags should be in front here in terms of goals and men!

Hermit Crab
02-08-2013, 08:24 PM
Another 2 footer in the box right in front of Thomson. Oft

Hermit Crab
02-08-2013, 08:25 PM
Sky weren't smart tho they were pulled up by the regulators. Anyway it's a Friday night and I'm just happy to know Hibees are back on Sunday! Btw is the derby on BT? I'm travelling back by train from London...

btw Jags should be in front here in terms of goals and men!

Sky sports I think.

davhibby
02-08-2013, 08:25 PM
How is Butcher still on the park?

pedroorange1875
02-08-2013, 08:26 PM
Another great season for refereeing standards

Viva_Palmeiras
02-08-2013, 08:27 PM
Is it my imagination or to the jags players look lean, quick and fit?

JC had the right idea despite difference in quality fitness can give you something extra in the Spl (or new incantation)

Viva_Palmeiras
02-08-2013, 08:28 PM
Sky sports I think.

Crap!

brog
02-08-2013, 08:28 PM

I'm very grumpy.

Couldn't agree more. I had Virgin trying to upgrade my package, for more money of course! I asked about my refund for losing my football. They said they're working on it. Same thing happened a few years ago with Sky, they'll work it out eventually but meanwhile we lose out.

Hermit Crab
02-08-2013, 08:29 PM
Crap!

Hearts12:05Hibernian
Scottish Premier, Sky Sports 1 HD (12:00)

SkintHibby
02-08-2013, 08:35 PM
Sorry sound muted was the applause for Lawrie Reilly?

I think it was for ex-jags player Colin McAdam.

Viva_Palmeiras
02-08-2013, 08:36 PM
I think it was for ex-jags player Colin McAdam.
Thanks it was bugging me - last time I turn the volume down for the missus ;)

Coco Bryce
02-08-2013, 10:39 PM
That BT Sport app is useless, just won't log in at all.

CallumLaidlaw
02-08-2013, 10:40 PM

Watched the Jags game on it. Found it very easy to use actually.

Viva_Palmeiras
02-08-2013, 10:57 PM

Worked better on my iPad than on Sky 413!
What device were you using?

Coco Bryce
02-08-2013, 10:57 PM
My login page is just sitting with the little circle whirling away. Will reinstall it to see if that helps.

jgl07
03-08-2013, 12:41 AM

Virgin used to own 50% of the UKTV Group: Gold, Watch, Dave, Alibi, Eden, Yesterday, etc. but sold them on to Scripps Networks two years ago.

The whole BT out to challenge Sky is all media hype. They look rather like ESPN last year and have little more going for them than Setanta five years back. Rangers away matches in the Second Division on a Friday night will not cut it for me.

lord bunberry
03-08-2013, 05:39 AM
I watched an interview with some guy from bt yesterday and he said the only reason they were getting involved in the sports market was that they wanted to maintain their position as number 1 broadband provider in the uk, so I can't see it being available on virgin unfortunately.

staunchhibby
03-08-2013, 07:40 AM
Enjoyed the BT coverage.The only thing that spoilt it was Thomson usual disregard for the blatant incidents.he was quick. Enough to card the thistle player and ignore others.

Hibby70
03-08-2013, 08:12 AM
One thing I did like was the score and dog being at the bottom of the screen. Less obtrusive I thought - obviously designed that way for when Hearts are on.

Jack Hackett
03-08-2013, 08:17 AM
My login page is just sitting with the little circle whirling away. Will reinstall it to see if that helps.

If you're using the mobile app over 3g, you need to enable mobile streaming in the apps settings, which is 'off' by default

Just Alf
03-08-2013, 11:00 AM
I watched an interview with some guy from bt yesterday and he said the only reason they were getting involved in the sports market was that they wanted to maintain their position as number 1 broadband provider in the uk, so I can't see it being available on virgin unfortunately.

Don't worry, a deal has been agreed between BTS and VM..... The sticking point just now is within VM and how they are going to package the 3 channels to the end user I.e. include in the XL package as per ESPN was or have as a separate top up.

lord bunberry
03-08-2013, 11:17 AM
Don't worry, a deal has been agreed between BTS and VM..... The sticking point just now is within VM and how they are going to package the 3 channels to the end user I.e. include in the XL package as per ESPN was or have as a separate top up.

I hope your right, I switched to virgin earlier this year

NAE NOOKIE
03-08-2013, 11:50 AM
I wouldnt worry too much about folk in England not being interested in Scottish football. They probably dont care much about Danish, Swedish or French football either. However, there are folk out there who will watch games just because they are on and from that point of view we may be able to get a better TV deal down the line if this turns into a war between SKY and BT.

I'm in the camp which says its better to get folk through the gate than millions watching on the telly. TV is a fact of life and because of that they call the shots when it comes to KO times. Better a Friday night than Saturday or Sunday lunchtime for me any old day though.

HUTCHYHIBBY
03-08-2013, 12:43 PM
college football live is on now :thumbsup:

No then! ;-)

Ell_Chrisso
03-08-2013, 03:31 PM
Without reading through the thread,

has anyone asked BT Sport the following?

wether you can cancel the subscription at anytime?

If you do cancel it, do you have to pay another £15 subscription if you do take it up again?

and if the BT Sport channels will show any American Sports with ESPN America being taken down of the TV box.

thanks in advance.

Eyrie
03-08-2013, 06:52 PM

They can take as long as they like as long as it's sorted before BT want to show a Hibs game.

down-the-slope
03-08-2013, 07:48 PM
Without reading through the thread,

has anyone asked BT Sport the following?

wether you can cancel the subscription at anytime?

If you do cancel it, do you have to pay another £15 subscription if you do take it up again?

and if the BT Sport channels will show any American Sports with ESPN America being taken down of the TV box.

thanks in advance.

No...:greengrin

But baseball on ESPN channel first day....and its free to me so no cost ever :na na:

marinello59
03-08-2013, 08:40 PM
Free for me but it only works on one TV, no multiple room option.
Suggesting live TV will save Scottish Fitba is madness anyway. Pretty sure the same claims were made for Sky years ago.

Just Alf
15-08-2013, 08:27 AM
For those on VM....

"The agreement will enable Virgin Media to provide BT Sport 1, BT Sport 2 and ESPN to their XL TV customers as part of their packages, without the need for those customers to take any action. This means around three million households are ready to watch BT Sport in advance of the top tier main English football and rugby seasons commencing.

The agreement also enables Virgin Media to offer the channels as a standalone premium service to TV customers who do not take the XL pack"

Aldo
15-08-2013, 09:01 AM
For those on VM....

"The agreement will enable Virgin Media to provide BT Sport 1, BT Sport 2 and ESPN to their XL TV customers as part of their packages, without the need for those customers to take any action. This means around three million households are ready to watch BT Sport in advance of the top tier main English football and rugby seasons commencing.

The agreement also enables Virgin Media to offer the channels as a standalone premium service to TV customers who do not take the XL pack"

Just saw post and turned on telly. Ya dancer.

Was gonnae phone them again this week to see what they would offer as replacement for ESPN but no need to now.

BT58
15-08-2013, 09:02 AM
Just had BT engineer in
I was given a free bt freeview box in which i stupidly thought i could watch BT sport on (BT box in bedroom)
Now there was an advert in papers saying that i could
watch BT sport on my sky box (lounge) so i got that
Engineer now saying i cannot watch BT sports on my
BT BOX ????
IF I WANT IT ON BOTH I WILL HAVE TO PAY XTRA??
I will now have to wait 24 hrs as they have to cancel it
On sky
Always thought BT technology was good ,,but obviously totally wrong
Bt

J-C
15-08-2013, 09:03 AM
If you are a Virgin XL customer you get BT sports 1 & 2 (HD) on channels 547-550, on just now.

GreenCastle
15-08-2013, 09:13 AM
http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/122916-bt-sport-lands-on-virgin-media-free-for-xl-subscribers-15-for-other-packages

Looks like it's on Virgin Media now :agree:

Aldo
15-08-2013, 09:23 AM
If you are a Virgin XL customer you get BT sports 1 & 2 (HD) on channels 547-550, on just now.

Sure is. 👍

DH1875
15-08-2013, 12:31 PM
Do you still get ESPN?

Sir David Gray
15-08-2013, 03:53 PM
Do you still get ESPN?

ESPN is part of BT Sport.

You no longer get ESPN America or ESPN Classic though.

Gatecrasher
23-08-2013, 06:24 AM
sorry to bring this thread back up, But does anyone know if you get BT sport through sky if you are contracted for 12 months? can you opt out at any time?

BT58
23-08-2013, 06:33 AM
Ive got FREE BT sport for 12 months (as long as i keep BB for year)
Look on BT web site should tell you in wee print
Bt

matty_f
23-08-2013, 07:34 AM
sorry to bring this thread back up, But does anyone know if you get BT sport through sky if you are contracted for 12 months? can you opt out at any time?

If you're taking a 12 month contract then you can't opt out during that without penalty normally. Sky Sports can be added and removed any time though if you don't want tied to the contract. Not common knowledge but Sky will also give you bt sports, phone and broadband cheaper than you'd get it with bt if you mention their price guarantee. ..

Gatecrasher
23-08-2013, 07:47 AM
Ive got FREE BT sport for 12 months (as long as i keep BB for year)
Look on BT web site should tell you in wee print
Bt
I couldn't find much on their web site, It mentions 12 month contracts through BT Broadband but I am just looking at the ESPN and BT Sport channels and nothing else.

If you're taking a 12 month contract then you can't opt out during that without penalty normally. Sky Sports can be added and removed any time though if you don't want tied to the contract. Not common knowledge but Sky will also give you bt sports, phone and broadband cheaper than you'd get it with bt if you mention their price guarantee. ..

It's juust that I don't want to take out a 12 month contract, with ESPN last season you could opt out whenever it suited you I am just wondering if that was still the case if I got BT Sport through sky. As above it mentions a 12 month contract with BT Broadband but hasn't mentioned anything through sky.

BT58
23-08-2013, 11:13 AM
GC,,,there is a drop down tab, under legal stuff,,it only mentions that its on 12 month contract,, i cannot see anything about monthly contracts
may be better contacting BT themselves
Bt

matty_f
23-08-2013, 11:17 AM
I couldn't find much on their web site, It mentions 12 month contracts through BT Broadband but I am just looking at the ESPN and BT Sport channels and nothing else.

It's juust that I don't want to take out a 12 month contract, with ESPN last season you could opt out whenever it suited you I am just wondering if that was still the case if I got BT Sport through sky. As above it mentions a 12 month contract with BT Broadband but hasn't mentioned anything through sky.

You can cancel bt sports on the Sky platform but those pesky bt folk will charge you a connection fee (£15, I think) every time you switch it back on.