PDA

View Full Version : Bill Leckie article about Hibs / Garry O

Hibs07p
29-07-2013, 08:06 AM
Decent article from Bill Leckie

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/5038700/Waste-of-space.html

GGTTH

THE doom-mongers are saying that Pat Fenlon has no place left to hide.

That is simply not true, though. As anyone who saw those pictures of Garry O’Connor the other day will testify.

Big? Fenlon, his entire squad, the board and the groundstaff could fit behind their former centre-forward, with room for Rod Petrie’s ego, and the lynch-mob of angry fans currently bearing down on Easter Road would not have a Scooby where they had gone.

Of course, they could not stay round there forever, not with a league campaign six days away.

But if a little time out behind the only seat in Edinburgh bigger than Arthur’s would be good for anything, it would surely be to let them realise what life holds in store unless they pull their fingers out pronto.

For me at least, of all the sorry tales associated with the Hibees last week, the latest chapter in O’Connor’s fall from grace was the saddest.

Yes, the lacking-in-class of 2013 got humped 7-0 at home by Malmo but sometimes these things happen when all the opposition’s good karma comes together in the same, perfect 90-minute storm that blows yours all to hell. Yes, the entire club was saddened by the loss of legendary striker Lawrie Reilly but, at 84, he was a man who had had a right good innings, who had made the most of every minute on the pitch and had made his family proud off it.

To see O’Connor, however, only just turned 30 but all washed up and waddling around a gardening project pretending to fulfil a stint of Community Service for possession of cocaine... well that’s genuinely depressing.

Once, he had the world at his feet. Now he struggles to see them. It is not a fun demise to witness and you’d hope against hope one day soon he looks in the mirror, slaps himself around and start getting it together.

It is usually the person closest to the problem who is the last to deal with it, though.

Those who succeed him in the green and white shirts have no such excuses.

It is not enough for Fenlon’s players to come out after another humiliation and tell the fans how sorry they are. That record was scratched and warped long ago.

The bottom line after last Thursday’s hammering is unless each and every one of them raises their game by at least 100 per cent come the clash with Motherwell next Sunday they don’t deserve to be paid to kick a ball.

If Fenlon can’t wring that extra 100 per cent out of them, he does not deserve o be paid to manage them.

If Rod Petrie, the man at the heart of all a troubled club’s ills, does not empty the Irishman and finally bring in a replacement who works, neither he nor his fellow blazers deserve to cling to the power he cherishes so much.

Now, I realise this is a somewhat ruthless approach to the situation and one which could result in the training ground and boardroom making the Marie Celeste look like the Grassmarket during Festival time but what else is there to be done with Hibs?

Petrie can’t go on putting his arm around the Next Big Thing and vowing the future starts here. The Next Big Thing can’t go on weeding out half a team and replacing it with Much Of A Muchness.

This Much Of A Muchness can’t go on making excuses for defeat after defeat after dispiriting defeat.

It’s a downward cycle that has grasped the home of The Famous Five, of Stanton and Cropley and Marinello, of a crop of brilliant kids whose sales so recently seemed to have cemented the next decade of growth, and is sucking it towards a vortex of doom.

Cup Finals here and there fool no one, especially when the team generally forgets to turn up for them.

The odd European excursion soon turns from a late-summer buzz to the harbinger of a long, cold winter. The same mistakes keep repeating. The same, lame reasons keep being trotted out.

It’s an embarrassment — and the passing of a true great like Lawrie Reilly brings it all into sharpest of relief. As more than 16,000 paused in a pre-match tribute to him the other night, you can only imagine what wistful thoughts were flooding silently around the stadium.

How many dreams were there of half the glory their dads and grandads were lucky enough to share in?

Reilly was 29 when a crippling knee injury made him his up his heavy old boots.

By then, he had also overcome a serious bout of the lung disease pleurisy.

None of it stopped him scoring 185 goals in 253 appearances for Hibs, 22 in 38 for Scotland and another 14 in 14 for the Scottish League.

By the time HE was 29, O’Connor had played pretty much the same number of games but had only scored 84 times.

Yet while one No9 was so skint at the peak of his powers he needed to take a job outside football to put food on the table, another earned so much dosh he didn’t know what to do with it — so he did all the wrong things. Reilly was 5ft 7ins and playing against defenders six inches taller in an era when anything went.

He had no right to be as good as he turned out. O’Connor’s 6ft 1ins and emerged at a time when markers had to go around in slippers. He should be looking forward to another five years of rampaging around penalty boxes.

Life isn’t fair, though. If it was, someone would have invented a time machine to wheech gentlemen like Last-Minute Lawrie into the 21st Century so they could enjoy even a fleeting season of the kind of riches unimagineable in their own day.

While wasters like O’Connor could do some REAL community service in the 50s, and find out what it was like to be kicked up and down the park in front of 50,000 hairy-a***d dockers for £20-a-week. Maybe that would have encouraged him to be more Famous Five and less Infamous Five-Bellies.

Or then again, maybe not.

cabbageandribs1875
29-07-2013, 08:23 AM

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/5038700/Waste-of-space.html

GGTTH

Reilly was 29 when a crippling knee injury made him his up his heavy old boots.

imagine just how many more goals the man would have scored for us if he had managed to play another few years...awesome :agree:

Borderhibbie76
29-07-2013, 08:56 AM

GGTTH
Great article from Bill leckie, sums everything up perfectly tbh

blackpoolhibs
29-07-2013, 09:07 AM

GGTTH

I think that picture should show we don't need anymore O'Connor could still do a job for us threads.

Hibs07p
29-07-2013, 09:34 AM
I think that picture should show we don't need anymore O'Connor could still do a job for us threads.

:thumbsup:

GGTTH

Bostonhibby
29-07-2013, 09:41 AM

:agree: except last Thursday obviously.:greengrin

Jonnyboy
29-07-2013, 04:15 PM
I generally enjoy Bill Leckie's writing and this is a decent piece BUT he's way off the mark with the sub-heading alongside Garry O's picture. It says In the week of Lawrie Reilly's death and 7-0 Euro thumping surely this was still saddest sight for Hibs. Sorry Bill but Lawrie's passing was the saddest thing for us Hibees. Not a pic of a bloated Garry O

steakbake
29-07-2013, 04:17 PM

He could tend some of the borders out at East Mains. If he's learned any Topiary Skills, he could also give Petrie's tache a wee trim?

3pm
29-07-2013, 04:27 PM
I heard Garry crashed his lawnower and done a bolt.

Sir David Gray
29-07-2013, 05:04 PM
I generally enjoy Bill Leckie's writing and this is a decent piece BUT he's way off the mark with the sub-heading alongside Garry O's picture. It says In the week of Lawrie Reilly's death and 7-0 Euro thumping surely this was still saddest sight for Hibs. Sorry Bill but Lawrie's passing was the saddest thing for us Hibees. Not a pic of a bloated Garry O

:agree: It is sad what has happened to O'Connor but he's nothing to do with Hibs now and his current situation is completely self inflicted.

The death of Lawrie Reilly was indeed the saddest thing to happen to the club over the past seven days and that picture of O'Connor really doesn't come anywhere close.

Wilson
29-07-2013, 05:06 PM
I'm sorry, I can't see past O'Connor.

Pretty Boy
29-07-2013, 05:10 PM

I reckon he could do a job.

If we hang a picture of him in the youth team dressing rooms it might show them the importance of a professional lifestyle.

Makaveli
29-07-2013, 05:19 PM
What a total c-word Leckie is.

GOC has/had a drug problem. Aye he's been stupid too many times, but here is accepting his punishment. What's the need to send photographers so you can mock his weight?

And mentioning any of this alongside Reilly's passing? The Sun wouldn't know dignity if it bit them in the erse.

Tricla
29-07-2013, 05:35 PM

GOC has/had a drug problem. Aye he's been stupid too many times, but here is accepting his punishment. What's the need to send photographers so you can mock his weight?

And mentioning any of this alongside Reilly's passing? The Sun wouldn't know dignity if it bit them in the erse.

10/10

stokesmessiah
29-07-2013, 05:39 PM
I thought it was way over the top in all honesty. Also, there are some people sticking the boot in here, yes he has made a total hash of (no pun intended) his career and has acted like a bit of a tit and yes he has put on a fair few lbs.

But this guy scored a lot of goals for Hibs and when him and Deek were first on the scene i thought he was every bit the player as Deek was and i loved watching him play, maybe ppl should show him some respect?!

nickwhibs
29-07-2013, 05:40 PM

Spot on. Horrible article from a horrible 'news'paper.

Iggy Pope
29-07-2013, 05:44 PM
10/10
Agree. Rats cocks.
Bill Leckie in 'decent' controversy.Add Speirs and we have plumbed new depths this week.

Unseen work
29-07-2013, 05:44 PM
Unreal to think last season... Well 2 now, he was our top goal scorer and very good for us first 6 months. Such a idiot for chucking what he had. Could you actually imagine what he could of achieved if he really stuck his head down and worked?? He played for premiership teams even with his awful attitude. Obviously not saying he would be In a top 4 team or anything but he could of been a striker at a fairly steady premier league team for years.

blackpoolhibs
29-07-2013, 05:46 PM

Leckie is a journalist, O'Connor is a washed up ex footballer who has made a complete erse of his life. Drugs, fraud and numerous scrapes with the law.

I'm glad the press are onto his case, i agree with pretty boy, this story should be pinned up at east mains and easter road so all the players can see just what can happen when you take the piss.

We want professional players at the club, not the likes of Garry O'Connor.

NAE NOOKIE
29-07-2013, 05:46 PM
Who cares how big Garry O's erse is TBH he wont be the first pro athlete, never mind footballer, to go T's up.

Having said that this is one of a number of articles done by various papers over the last year ( never mind week ) prompted by Hibs turning what used to a never ending ability to let down their supporters into a newly found ability to utterly humiliate us.

We might in some cases have issues with the folk writing the articles ........... but at the end of the day its up to the club we support to stop giving them the opportunity to be able to either take the piss or take us to task.

Over to you Hibs !!!

Iggy Pope
29-07-2013, 05:53 PM
Leckie is a journalist, O'Connor is a washed up ex footballer who has made a complete erse of his life. Drugs, fraud and numerous scrapes with the law.

I'm glad the press are onto his case, i agree with pretty boy, this story should be pinned up at east mains and easter road so all the players can see just what can happen when you take the piss.

A journalist is he?
Evidence of this?
Do other journalists pin this ***** stories up, so that other trainee journalists don't get fooled into thinking that being a fat clown makes you a 'journalist'?

Phil D. Rolls
29-07-2013, 05:55 PM

Gary has a drug problem - he keeps getting caught. The solution is in his own hands and a bit of reality orientation, in the form of getting told publicly what a c word he has made of things, might be just the kicking he needs.

Continuing to let him think that drugs control him, rather than the other way round, just gives him an excuse to feel sorry for himself. Sorry, but drug users live in the same world as everyone else, and have to accept the same rules.

blackpoolhibs
29-07-2013, 06:00 PM
A journalist is he?
Evidence of this?
Do other journalists pin this ***** stories up, so that other trainee journalists don't get fooled into thinking that being a fat clown makes you a 'journalist'?

Well i'm just guessing he's a journalist, as this piece was written for a newspaper. I await the question is this a newspaper?

I have no idea what journo's pin up to show younger ones, but there has been a clamour to change the attitude at the club, O'Connor was part of that bad attitude. I'd pin it up and tell every youth player we had, this is what could happen to you if you go down that route.

I disagree its a ***** story.

Nothing but 100% professionalism is acceptable in my opinion from NOW, we don't want wasters like him ever again.

clerriehibs
29-07-2013, 06:01 PM

I dunno ... it's a bit reminiscent of Mixu when he was banging them in for us ...

connerg
29-07-2013, 06:01 PM

Agree. He got too personal about GOC. I wonder if he would do the same with an ex Old Firm player????

One Day
29-07-2013, 06:07 PM
I reckon he could do a job.

If we hang a picture of him in the youth team dressing rooms it might show them the importance of a professional lifestyle.

or on the fridge

clerriehibs
29-07-2013, 06:07 PM
Who cares how big Garry O's erse is TBH he wont be the first pro athlete, never mind footballer, to go T's up.

Having said that this is one of a number of articles done by various papers over the last year ( never mind week ) prompted by Hibs turning what used to a never ending ability to let down their supporters into a newly found ability to utterly humiliate us.

We might in some cases have issues with the folk writing the articles ........... but at the end of the day its up to the club we support to stop giving them the opportunity to be able to either take the piss or take us to task.

Over to you Hibs !!!

In what way did Hibs contribute the opportunity of this story to that dick of a so-called paper? It's a bit ridiculous for anyone to accept that a p!ss take from that rag is valid criticism.

Maybe once the global empire of which it's a part stops thinking it's "journalism" to hack a missing-presumed-dead girl's mobile phone, they can start making valid criticisms of others' behaviour.

Iggy Pope
29-07-2013, 06:24 PM
Well i'm just guessing he's a journalist, as this piece was written for a newspaper. I await the question is this a newspaper?

I have no idea what journo's pin up to show younger ones, but there has been a clamour to change the attitude at the club, O'Connor was part of that bad attitude. I'd pin it up and tell every youth player we had, this is what could happen to you if you go down that route.

I disagree its a ***** story.

Nothing but 100% professionalism is acceptable in my opinion from NOW, we don't want wasters like him ever again.

Who the **** wants him back?
Don't really think he needs drying out on the pay of the ill informed or the sensationalist either.

You just keep sucking all that 'journalism' up then if it is broadening your mind, like it is supposed to. I remember Ally McCoist and Kevin Thomson 'writing' for the same paper.
Keith Jackson - Journalist.
Traynor - Journalist
All is Barry - Journalist
Tam Cowan - Journalist
Hugh Keevins - Journalist

All ***** and so is Piers Morgan.

Beefster
29-07-2013, 06:35 PM
I remember ... Kevin Thomson 'writing' for the same paper.

No you don't.

Makaveli
29-07-2013, 06:56 PM
No you don't.

Thomson definitely wrote for the Record while at Hibs.

I'm no bawl boy but Freeland just would not listen; HIBS ACE WRITES EXCLUSIVELY FOR YOU (http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Football%3A+I'm+no+bawl+boy+but+Freeland+just+woul d+not+listen%3B+HIBS...-a0151872272) (original DR link is long dead).

The Hun-loving stuff which came a few months later was "Kevin Thomson as told to Keith Jackson", but the above was written in the 1st person and published under his name.

Iggy Pope
29-07-2013, 07:08 PM
No you don't.
More to do with my good taste than your memory.

eastterrace
29-07-2013, 07:26 PM
I thought it was way over the top in all honesty. Also, there are some people sticking the boot in here, yes he has made a total hash of (no pun intended) his career and has acted like a bit of a tit and yes he has put on a fair few lbs.

But this guy scored a lot of goals for Hibs and when him and Deek were first on the scene i thought he was every bit the player as Deek was and i loved watching him play, maybe ppl should show him some respect?!

thats his point reilly had to retire at 29, but oconner has decided that football not for him, he would still have 3 or 4 years at the top if he, kept himself fit , he wasnt slagging him off he just thought its a waste. maybe if you took of your i hate bill leckie specs and read the article

Beefster
29-07-2013, 07:33 PM
Thomson definitely wrote for the Record while at Hibs.

I'm no bawl boy but Freeland just would not listen; HIBS ACE WRITES EXCLUSIVELY FOR YOU (http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Football%3A+I'm+no+bawl+boy+but+Freeland+just+woul d+not+listen%3B+HIBS...-a0151872272) (original DR link is long dead).

The Hun-loving stuff which came a few months later was "Kevin Thomson as told to Keith Jackson", but the above was written in the 1st person and published under his name.

Yup, Thomson 'wrote' in the Record, not the Sun as was suggested.

Makaveli
29-07-2013, 07:43 PM

:agree: I specified it being in the Record to highlight that the other poster was right in remembering KT writing for one of the comics but that it wasn't the Sun.

NAE NOOKIE
29-07-2013, 07:45 PM
In what way did Hibs contribute the opportunity of this story to that dick of a so-called paper? It's a bit ridiculous for anyone to accept that a p!ss take from that rag is valid criticism.

Maybe once the global empire of which it's a part stops thinking it's "journalism" to hack a missing-presumed-dead girl's mobile phone, they can start making valid criticisms of others' behaviour.

The answer to your first bit is contained in my post.

As for the rest ... I was making no comment on the validity of the journalist or the rag he writes for and nowhere in my post did I say I agreed with what was written or the papers right to be critical of Hibs or anything else for that matter.

But the truth is that papers and journalists, upmarket, downmarket, respected, not respected are having their say on events at ER following Thursday's debacle. My point was that if we dont want to be reading stuff about Hibs which is annoying and upsetting then it would be best for all of us, not least the folk playing for and running the club, if they were to address the problems on the pitch which gives these guys a chance to rubbish us.

Iggy Pope
29-07-2013, 07:47 PM

Er...yup then. Yup. How tiresome.

steakbake
29-07-2013, 07:49 PM
Ladies, please...

The Voice Of Reason
29-07-2013, 07:54 PM
Oh Garry - sad state of affairs son.

clerriehibs
29-07-2013, 07:58 PM
The answer to your first bit is contained in my post.

As for the rest ... I was making no comment on the validity of the journalist or the rag he writes for and nowhere in my post did I say I agreed with what was written or the papers right to be critical of Hibs or anything else for that matter.

But the truth is that papers and journalists, upmarket, downmarket, respected, not respected are having their say on events at ER following Thursday's debacle. My point was that if we dont want to be reading stuff about Hibs which is annoying and upsetting then it would be best for all of us, not least the folk playing for and running the club, if they were to address the problems on the pitch which gives these guys a chance to rubbish us.

The media often describe the gimps that go out causing trouble & mayhem as "Hibs casuals" ... despite club being at pains to point out they have zip all to do with Hibs.

O'Connor has nothing to do with Hibs now.

No matter how successful Hibs are at turning things round on the pitch, Hibs being linked with negative non-Hibs stories, such as the above, will always appear.

blackpoolhibs
29-07-2013, 09:05 PM
Who the **** wants him back?
Don't really think he needs drying out on the pay of the ill informed or the sensationalist either.

You just keep sucking all that 'journalism' up then if it is broadening your mind, like it is supposed to. I remember Ally McCoist and Kevin Thomson 'writing' for the same paper.
Keith Jackson - Journalist.
Traynor - Journalist
All is Barry - Journalist
Tam Cowan - Journalist
Hugh Keevins - Journalist

All ***** and so is Piers Morgan.

There was a thread recently by someone who's name escapes me, saying we should be bringing him back, and Riordan too if my memory is correct?

I aint sucking anything up, i wouldnt say its broadening my mind either, but i read it and made my comment on its content.

Its because of the likes of O'Connor we have all these discussions about being a soft touch, or being rotten to the core.

And its this kind of thing we need to flag up to our youths, let them see just what can happen if you follow his route.

As for the list of journalists, it would make no difference to me who wrote the piece, its a story i believe needs told and one that would interest many folk including football fans from Hibs.

If you don't want your name on the front pages of ANY newspaper, don't make an erse of yourself, take drugs, run away from the police or try and rip insurance company's off.

500miles
29-07-2013, 09:14 PM
thats his point reilly had to retire at 29, but oconner has decided that football not for him, he would still have 3 or 4 years at the top if he, kept himself fit , he wasnt slagging him off he just thought its a waste. maybe if you took of your i hate bill leckie specs and read the article

Actually, Garry's back was knackered towards of the end of his time with Hibs, and he went through a period of not training between matches.

I don't think Garry's personal problems are all that separate from his injury ones. When he was playing regularly, he was focussed on his football, fit as a butchers dog. It was during his injuries and spells out of the team when he seemed to struggle personally.

poolman
29-07-2013, 09:31 PM
Agree. Rats cocks.
Bill Leckie in 'decent' controversy.Add Speirs and we have plumbed new depths this week.

Add Bathgate to that list

Iggy Pope
29-07-2013, 09:57 PM
There was a thread recently by someone who's name escapes me, saying we should be bringing him back, and Riordan too if my memory is correct?

I aint sucking anything up, i wouldnt say its broadening my mind either, but i read it and made my comment on its content.

Its because of the likes of O'Connor we have all these discussions about being a soft touch, or being rotten to the core.

And its this kind of thing we need to flag up to our youths, let them see just what can happen if you follow his route.

As for the list of journalists, it would make no difference to me who wrote the piece, its a story i believe needs told and one that would interest many folk including football fans from Hibs.

If you don't want your name on the front pages of ANY newspaper, don't make an erse of yourself, take drugs, run away from the police or try and rip insurance company's off.

Names don't often escape you.
I'll offer two bams.
Alex Edwards.
Roy Barry.

Take either of those two back ?

blackpoolhibs
29-07-2013, 09:58 PM
[/B]

I'll offer two bams.
Alex Edwards.
Roy Barry.

Nah, they must be well into their 60s. :wink:

Diclonius
29-07-2013, 10:56 PM
Not that I'm defending O'Connor but did Leckie really have to shoehorn him into that article? O'Connor having a **** time really is completely irrelevant to the situation at Hibs.

Does Leckie have something against him or the like?

Paisley Hibby
30-07-2013, 12:09 AM

Spot on mate :aok:

SlickShoes
30-07-2013, 08:47 AM

I agree that sending reporters along to mock his weight is low, but Garry O'Connor does not deserve anyone's respect. You earn respect and he has done nothing to earn any respect from anyone, sure he scored some goals about 6 or 7 years ago but that is the past, this is now. I am the same age as this guy, growing up and seeing him get rich and famous I thought "wow that is the life look at this guy, world at his feet" totally jealous. Now I look at him and feel terrible for how he has ended up, everything he had to offer, my life looks peachy compared to the mess he is in.

MB62
30-07-2013, 11:00 AM
G O'C is not the first football player/sportsman/person to have made an erky of his chance in life through bad choices and he certainly won't be the last, and probably won't be even the last Hibs player to do it either, unfortunately. However the choices he made were his choices and he now has to live with the consequences, he's still young enough to be able to get his act together if he wishes but time is running out fast for his chosen career.
I remember Darren Jackson saying how he decided he should put more effort in keeping fit and bumped in to John Collins in the gym and being absolutely amazed at the work J.C. was putting in, D.J. realising he had a long way to go to reach the same levels.
As a sportsperson in particular, you get out what you put, again unfortunately, football is riddled by young guys who thought they had the world at their feet because they had made the breakthrough in to the first team, then never made it because they probably thought they were 'billy big times' already and didn't put the effort in.

The culture at Hibs, IMO, is far from being totally professional and I mentioned after the cup final how much fitter and STRONGER the 'dodgers' players were and this is only achieved by putting in the extra hours in the gym after training. When Gary Caldwell left Hibs to join them, he almost immediately decided his drinking alcohol days were finished if he wanted to make it with them, just another difference in attitude from a player.
At the cup final, at half time, celtc had about four trainers out on the park with their subs doing various different routines, we had nobody and let the players kick the ball around aimlessly between themselves. As players, our lads should be taking a wee bit more pride and demanding from management and coaching staff that they have these routines worked out for the subs at half. Wingers crossing, forwards heading shooting, keepers saving or catching crosses as they do before a game. Subs should be getting a feel for the pitch, a feel for how hard they need to hit the ball for it to find the centre of the box or whatever so that when they do get called upon, they have that feel right away. I have thought this for many years and get frustrated at the lack of organisation for something that is so easily fixed.
Gees, I am getting myself angry at years of under achievement because we continually can't get basics right.
Rant over, for now.

superfurryhibby
30-07-2013, 11:39 AM
[/B]

I'll offer two bams.
Alex Edwards.
Roy Barry.

Roy Barry was gash. Alex Edwards is very successful in business, post-football. No comparisons.

Stevo1875
30-07-2013, 11:49 AM
Quite a personal attack on someone who worked exceptionally hard for many years to achieve what he did achieve. Why not do some journalism and interview him instead of slagging him off. Nobody need to be told any of what was said, we all know he messed up his football career. And how ignorant to suggest he could have avoided his problems while he had his career to think about... I doubt it was all part of his career plan when he turned pro. If only life was so simple.

cabbageandribs1875
31-07-2013, 09:34 PM
no more free sun online

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/

When we return you will need to be a member of Sun+ to access The Sun website.
Register here for Sun+ to receive an exclusive £1 for 2 month offer. This offer expires at midnight.

'kin Booooooooooooooooooooooooooo