PDA

View Full Version : Most peculiar hobbies

Hibbyradge
29-07-2013, 09:40 AM
Why do I identify so much with a group of young men who I have never met, many of whom, most probably, I wouldn't like and with whom I have little if anything in common with?

I've wrestled with the question for years and the answer continues to elude.

But, even though I don't fully understand it, I sort of understand it. If you know what I mean.

However, there can be no explanation for this hobby (http://tardisbuilders.com/).

Do you know of any other hobbies that defy logic?

Hibrandenburg
29-07-2013, 09:55 AM
Think there's a human instinct to be part of a herd for survival purposes. The need is not necessarily there anymore but the instinct still needs fulfilling and people now seek out groups to fulfill their interests rather than their needs. Only my personal opinion but it seems a reasonable theory.

Twa Cairpets
29-07-2013, 10:39 AM
Why do I identify so much with a group of young men who I have never met, many of whom, most probably, I wouldn't like and with whom I have little if anything in common with?

But, even though I don't fully understand it, I sort of understand it. If you know what I mean.

However, there can be no explanation for this hobby (http://tardisbuilders.com/).

Do you know of any other hobbies that defy logic?

Excellent question, and one I've thought of myself. With Hibs, its further compounded compared to, say, Dunfermline or Raith in that it isn't necessarily a geographic/town/community allegiance.

I have no clear idea why I should feel a frankly ludicrous level of emotional attachment to a business. It certainly doesn't bear too much in depth analysis - that way lies some really worrying cognitive dissonance I suspect...

Twa Cairpets
29-07-2013, 10:42 AM
Think there's a human instinct to be part of a herd for survival purposes. The need is not necessarily there anymore but the instinct still needs fulfilling and people now seek out groups to fulfill their interests rather than their needs. Only my personal opinion but it seems a reasonable theory.

But lots of Hobbies are singular. I have a small collection of miniature artillery pieces. I don't know why, I just like them. I don't want to know anybody else who does, because i'd think they were a bit strange.

I like hillwalking, but much prefer going on my own, wild camping on summits of munros, than being with anyone else.

But then again I spend an inordinate amount of time coaching youth football, and love doing that, just to prove I'm not a sad loner. :-)

Pretty Boy
29-07-2013, 04:28 PM
On the strange hobbies front I collect goalkeeper gloves. I'm borderline obsessive about it.

I have a cupboard at home with about 70 pairs. A lot of them are my own match worn ones that I have kept. I have pairs dating back to when I was about 16. If a see a goalkeeper wearing a brand I don't recognise then I have to know what it is and get a pair, if a company releases a limited edition pair I have to have them even if that means buying the wrong size.

It's not a cheap hobby either as pro quality glove prices start at about £40 and go as high as about £110.

Whilst I don't frequently associate with other people regarding said hobby, I think it is quite common amongst goalkeeper as there is forums and facebook pages about it.

Very strange I admit and i'm convinced i'm going to come home one day abd find the other half has finally had enough and chucked the whole lot in the bin.

Scouse Hibee
01-08-2013, 07:08 PM
I have stopped collecting now but I have a collection of:

Bells Whisky commemorative bells
Commando Battle Picture Library Comic Books
Snooker table name plates
Commemorative Coins

HibeeEmma
02-08-2013, 09:18 AM
But lots of Hobbies are singular. I have a small collection of miniature artillery pieces. I don't know why, I just like them. I don't want to know anybody else who does, because i'd think they were a bit strange.

I like hillwalking, but much prefer going on my own, wild camping on summits of munros, than being with anyone else.

But then again I spend an inordinate amount of time coaching youth football, and love doing that, just to prove I'm not a sad loner. :-)

I love this part. They are probably thinking the same

Twa Cairpets
02-08-2013, 11:06 AM
I love this part. They are probably thinking the same

:greengrin I'm sure they are...

lEXO
02-08-2013, 08:22 PM

Do you know of any other hobbies that defy logic?In fairness I believe they are quite roomy...............:wink:

frazeHFC
02-08-2013, 10:28 PM
Whenever I am at my Grans (including a 9 month spell living with her) she always sits with her balls of wool and knitting equipment but always seems to be doing the same thing and getting nowhere. I always wonder if she forgets she did that the day before which I suppose equates to endless fun as it's a new beginning every day even though her life is on repeat.

But then one day she produced a sheer masterpiece out of nowhere. It was a roughly A4 sized picture of a cottage with it's surroundings made completely out of wool stitched together. It really is amazing, top quality detail the lot. She then pointed out 3 or 4 other pieces she had done which are now framed and up on the walls.

All that work but the odd hour I am sitting next to her and it seemed nothing was getting done, the 8/9 hours I spent each day at college/work she was obviously producing these amazing drawings (of wool whatever you'd call them).

Reckon they would be worth a decent amount of money but will never sell them as that'll always be the lasting memory I have of my Gran for the rest of my life.

HibsMax
05-08-2013, 04:19 PM
Whenever I am at my Grans (including a 9 month spell living with her) she always sits with her balls of wool and knitting equipment but always seems to be doing the same thing and getting nowhere. I always wonder if she forgets she did that the day before which I suppose equates to endless fun as it's a new beginning every day even though her life is on repeat.

But then one day she produced a sheer masterpiece out of nowhere. It was a roughly A4 sized picture of a cottage with it's surroundings made completely out of wool stitched together. It really is amazing, top quality detail the lot. She then pointed out 3 or 4 other pieces she had done which are now framed and up on the walls.

All that work but the odd hour I am sitting next to her and it seemed nothing was getting done, the 8/9 hours I spent each day at college/work she was obviously producing these amazing drawings (of wool whatever you'd call them).

Reckon they would be worth a decent amount of money but will never sell them as that'll always be the lasting memory I have of my Gran for the rest of my life.

This sounds a lot like tapestry. I've done that in the past, when I was much younger and dabbling with my sexuality. ;)