PDA

View Full Version : Would our U20s beat our first XI?

spike220
29-07-2013, 09:36 AM
Would our U20's beat our first XI? or get close? anyone in the know seen them play together in training?

HUTCHYHIBBY
29-07-2013, 09:41 AM
This is getting silly now!

Hibs7
29-07-2013, 10:16 AM
Would our U20's beat our first XI? or get close? anyone in the know seen them play together in training?

On Thursdays showing ....YES

rcarter1
29-07-2013, 10:39 AM
Ive been interested to see how this would go for a wee while. Might be a good way of putting pressure on any first team players that need a k up the bside.

delbert
29-07-2013, 10:43 AM
I was under the impression that currently our Under 20's ARE our first eleven !!

Hibercelona
29-07-2013, 10:48 AM
There should certainly be some kind of friendly set up between them, to give the players in the main team something to think about.

Regardless of whether you're 18 or 28. Playing in the main team is a "right", not a luxury. It's a place that's earned through blood, sweat and toil.

I don't care if a player is a youngster brought through the youth set up, or a player that's came from the Premiership/Championship. I'm only interested in how hard they're willing to work for the club in the present.

Andy74
29-07-2013, 10:49 AM
This is getting silly now!

Correct. Get a grip.

Sean1875
29-07-2013, 10:55 AM
No. No they wouldn't.

HibeeMcGinn1
29-07-2013, 10:57 AM

Have a word

spike220
29-07-2013, 11:02 AM
No. No they wouldn't. Well the fact we are even discussing means something. I don't think they would lose 7-0.

Twa Cairpets
29-07-2013, 11:04 AM
There should certainly be some kind of friendly set up between them, to give the players in the main team something to think about.

Regardless of whether you're 18 or 28. Playing in the main team is a "right", not a luxury. It's a place that's earned through blood, sweat and toil.

I don't care if a player is a youngster brought through the youth set up, or a player that's came from the Premiership/Championship. I'm only interested in how hard they're willing to work for the club in the present.

What a load of utter keech.

Do you honestly, seriously think that the u20s never play against or with the senior squad? Do you think they arent monitored a to their development? They are checked to see how they are developing in certain areas?

You post some amount of guff, but the first line of the above post takes the biscuit. As for the rest of it - hey I'd work hard and be prepared to throw up my brekkie for a game with Hibs, but that doesn't mean I'm good enough to play. It isn't just about "blood sweat and toil" its about the ability to combine effort with capability. We didn't not try on Thursday, we just weren't very good.

Hibercelona
29-07-2013, 11:13 AM

Do you honestly, seriously think that the u20s never play against or with the senior squad? Do you think they arent monitored a to their development? They are checked to see how they are developing in certain areas?

You post some amount of guff, but the first line of the above post takes the biscuit. As for the rest of it - hey I'd work hard and be prepared to throw up my brekkie for a game with Hibs, but that doesn't mean I'm good enough to play. It isn't just about "blood sweat and toil" its about the ability to combine effort with capability. We didn't not try on Thursday, we just weren't very good.

I'd rather have players that lack ability who are willing to give it their all, than players who lack ability who aren't willing to try at all.

Players clearly aren't being monitored well enough during training. If they were, they'd look far fitter on match day.

Twa Cairpets
29-07-2013, 11:28 AM
I'd rather have players that lack ability who are willing to give it their all, than players who lack ability who aren't willing to try at all.

Players clearly aren't being monitored well enough during training. If they were, they'd look far fitter on match day.

I've suspected you're a troll for a while, and this post proves it.

Either that, or you have clearly not the faintest concept of what happens at a football club, and a depressingly incapable of thinking beyond a knee jerk reaction.

Tell you what. Lets pull out 11 season ticket holders out of the crowd, all of whom would probably be willing to sacrifice a limb or a first born for the chance to play for Hibs, and see how they get on against Motherwell. We'll call it "The Hibercelona Experiment" and will be used by sports clubs everywhere as an illustration as to why internet forum fans should never, ever be allowed near an actual professional football team.

Paisley Hibby
29-07-2013, 11:38 AM
I've suspected you're a troll for a while, and this post proves it.

Either that, or you have clearly not the faintest concept of what happens at a football club, and a depressingly incapable of thinking beyond a knee jerk reaction.

Tell you what. Lets pull out 11 season ticket holders out of the crowd, all of whom would probably be willing to sacrifice a limb or a first born for the chance to play for Hibs, and see how they get on against Motherwell. We'll call it "The Hibercelona Experiment" and will be used by sports clubs everywhere as an illustration as to why internet forum fans should never, ever be allowed near an actual professional football team.

I don't know, even Lewis Stevenson said that an amateur team would have put a better display against Malmo. In fact, 11 guys picked at random out of the crowd last Thursday would have put up a better show against Malmo than Fenlon's Flops. (Oh, and like the OP, I'm joking :greengrin).

brian6-2
29-07-2013, 11:51 AM

youve got a cheek telling the other guy he posts some guff........

Phil MaGlass
29-07-2013, 12:05 PM
yep, I think on the Malmo showing our under 20 would give them a good game.

hibee92
29-07-2013, 12:09 PM

wow :rolleyes:

KeithTheHibby
29-07-2013, 12:11 PM
Some of the threads on here after last Thursday are rediculous. What really is the point in this thread??!

Even if our under 20's beat the first team 8-0 are you suggesting we play them instead?!

Thank **** there is a league game coming up soon, perhaps we can move on from last week and focus on the job ahead.

Twa Cairpets
29-07-2013, 12:11 PM
youve got a cheek telling the other guy he posts some guff........
There was no particular lack of effort, we just got grubbed by steam who moved very well and we had no shape to speak of. Also, no matter the teams, goals change games and affects who is willing to take more risk. Mamo were, we couldn't cope.
Don't conflate impoverished ability with lack of effort.

Time For Heroes
29-07-2013, 12:17 PM
[QUOTE=KeithTheHibby;3694408]Some of the threads on here after last Thursday are rediculous. What really is the point in this thread??!

Even if our under 20's beat the first team 8-0 are you suggesting we play them instead?!

I agree, ridiculous thread but if the under 20's won 8-0 I'd be tempted to play them ;0)

brian6-2
29-07-2013, 12:28 PM
There was no particular lack of effort, we just got grubbed by steam who moved very well and we had no shape to speak of. Also, no matter the teams, goals change games and affects who is willing to take more risk. Mamo were, we couldn't cope.
Don't conflate impoverished ability with lack of effort.

I completely disagree with the lack of effort part, we were outplayed all over the park by a fitter and better team than us. I feel if we had came out at the start of the game and showed a bit desire to even compete with them we wouldnt have been beaten by that scoreline. But we didnt, we looked like we didnt want to win and more alarmingly like we genuinley werent interested. It was probably the most gutless and spineless performance ive seen from any hibs team, ALMOST as bad as the debacle last may.

I really dont see the problem with the OP's question, inter squad friendlies are a permanent fixture probably within every pro football club on the planet. Although always played in a training enviroment and behind closed doors we will never get to know how it goes.

Our u20's will no doubt be just as fit if not fitter than the 1st team, and i have no shame in admitting that i genuinley believe if our u20's played THAT hibs team, with that attitude from thursday they would probably beat them hands down.

What happened last week will happen time and time again this season if we go into any game and show that attitude.

Twa Cairpets
29-07-2013, 01:48 PM
I completely disagree with the lack of effort part, we were outplayed all over the park by a fitter and better team than us. I feel if we had came out at the start of the game and showed a bit desire to even compete with them we wouldnt have been beaten by that scoreline. But we didnt, we looked like we didnt want to win and more alarmingly like we genuinley werent interested. It was probably the most gutless and spineless performance ive seen from any hibs team, ALMOST as bad as the debacle last may.

So which was it. Fitter, better or lack of effort? I thought the first 10-15 were pretty even. Like I said, goals change games - the atmosphere was killed wiht the first goal and that affected the team because,hey they're human beings.

I really dont see the problem with the OP's question, inter squad friendlies are a permanent fixture probably within every pro football club on the planet. Although always played in a training enviroment and behind closed doors we will never get to know how it goes.

So the OP suggestion that such a game take place is acknowledged as, erm, almost certainly taking place. What I objected to was the rank stupidity of his post with the inference that it didnt happen. So what are you saying, that it should be a full blooded affair at ER with paying hordes down to watch? Give me a break.

Our u20's will no doubt be just as fit if not fitter than the 1st team
And you base this on what, precisely?

, and i have no shame in admitting that I genuinely believe if our u20's played THAT hibs team, with that attitude from thursday they would probably beat them hands down.
Bollocks.

brian6-2
29-07-2013, 02:15 PM
So which was it. Fitter, better or lack of effort? I thought the first 10-15 were pretty even. Like I said, goals change games - the atmosphere was killed wiht the first goal and that affected the team because,hey they're human beings.

So the OP suggestion that such a game take place is acknowledged as, erm, almost certainly taking place. What I objected to was the rank stupidity of his post with the inference that it didnt happen. So what are you saying, that it should be a full blooded affair at ER with paying hordes down to watch? Give me a break.

Bollocks.

No, you said you thought the team put in a good effort, but just werent very good :confused: put in a good effort aye? were we at the same game?

And again, your ability to completely miss the point is blatantly obvious for all to see, ive in no way shape or form said such a game should take place. What i have said is that these games do take place within clubs, you claim to be an expert on the day to day running of the club so why not do your homework and find out before running your mouth off and making yourself look like a complete tit.

So what your saying is the under 20's wont be just as fit as the first team? im pretty sure that the entire under 20 team and its coaching staff will tell you different.

And again, yes. i can easily say an up for it, under 20 team with something to prove would beat that hibs side that turned up last thursday with that attitude.

DH1875
29-07-2013, 02:17 PM

:faf::faf::faf:. If the under 20's could beat our first XI, they'd be our first XI. Then again, it is Fenlon we're talking about so who know's :hmmm:

Twa Cairpets
29-07-2013, 02:37 PM
No, you said you thought the team put in a good effort, but just werent very good :confused: put in a good effort aye? were we at the same game?

And again, your ability to completely miss the point is blatantly obvious for all to see, ive in no way shape or form said such a game should take place. What i have said is that these games do take place within clubs, you claim to be an expert on the day to day running of the club so why not do your homework and find out before running your mouth off and making yourself look like a complete tit.

So what your saying is the under 20's wont be just as fit as the first team? im pretty sure that the entire under 20 team and its coaching staff will tell you different.

And again, yes. i can easily say an up for it, under 20 team with something to prove would beat that hibs side that turned up last thursday with that attitude.

Selective reading again chum.
I said - for meat any rate - there wasn't a lack of effort, just an inability to turn that effort into an effective football performance on the night. I don't think anybody didn't try, or shirked a tackle. Lots of wrong decisions by players and management, but no effort - nah, just not seeing it.

It wasn't you that suggested a game take place,it was the OP, who you were supporting. My point was an extension of your support. If you care to exercise the right to actually comprehend words (which were, in response the OP "Do you honestly, seriously think that the u20s never play against or with the senior squad? Do you think they arent monitored a to their development? They are checked to see how they are developing in certain areas?", you will see that you are accusing me of being a tit for agreeing with you. How odd.

As for the u20's fitness, its time to engage the brain again. My suspicion is that in overall conditioning, they are generally not as fit (in terms of fitness being defined as being effective as a professional footballer - areas such as upper body strength and core stability, as well as cardio) as the first team. If they are, great, but in that case they obviously are not seen as being ready for the first team on footballing grounds, are they?

So you may be right, in a one off game the U20's may shade a result, but do you seriously think that is the right way for us to go?

brian6-2
29-07-2013, 02:54 PM
Selective reading again chum.
I said - for meat any rate - there wasn't a lack of effort, just an inability to turn that effort into an effective football performance on the night. I don't think anybody didn't try, or shirked a tackle. Lots of wrong decisions by players and management, but no effort - nah, just not seeing it.

It wasn't you that suggested a game take place,it was the OP, who you were supporting. My point was an extension of your support. If you care to exercise the right to actually comprehend words (which were, in response the OP "Do you honestly, seriously think that the u20s never play against or with the senior squad? Do you think they arent monitored a to their development? They are checked to see how they are developing in certain areas?", you will see that you are accusing me of being a tit for agreeing with you. How odd.

As for the u20's fitness, its time to engage the brain again. My suspicion is that in overall conditioning, they are generally not as fit (in terms of fitness being defined as being effective as a professional footballer - areas such as upper body strength and core stability, as well as cardio) as the first team. If they are, great, but in that case they obviously are not seen as being ready for the first team on footballing grounds, are they?

So you may be right, in a one off game the U20's may shade a result, but do you seriously think that is the right way for us to go?

Ok, fair enough. my apologies for brandishing you a tit mr cairpets. I picked you up wrong.

But again im affraid last thursday i seen no effort from any hibs player. we will have to just agree to disagree with that one. the only effort from anyone in green was from us, the fans.

And its no way the right way for us to go, its important for all clubs to play these games though as it does further develop our youngsters. The point im making is that robin hood and his merry men would have got a result against that hibs team last week.

Mikey
29-07-2013, 03:02 PM
The first team are making short work of Newcastle's reserves this afternoon so I suspect they'd have a chance.

Updates on the PM board.

brian6-2
29-07-2013, 03:06 PM
The first team are making short work of Newcastle's reserves this afternoon so I suspect they'd have a chance.

Updates on the PM board.

whats the pm board?

jodjam
29-07-2013, 05:02 PM
whats the pm board?

It's the Post Malmo board

Unseen work
29-07-2013, 06:08 PM
Considering our best youngsters coming through are getting a tough time by many and saying they won't make it. I would guess no, they wouldn't.

spike220
29-07-2013, 11:22 PM

Bollocks.

Pat is that you?

fatbloke
30-07-2013, 08:07 AM
Ive been interested to see how this would go for a wee while. Might be a good way of putting pressure on any first team players that need a k up the bside.

Perm any one from oh about 15 or 16.

hibs0666
30-07-2013, 08:35 AM

There should be an award for the loony thread of the week.

spike220
14-08-2013, 08:32 AM
I think they would have beat hearts!

spike220
14-08-2013, 08:33 AM
There should be an award for the loony thread of the week.

Really!!!!!!!

bigwheel
14-08-2013, 08:35 AM
.....you do realise our U20s drew with Leith Athletic recently - get a grip ....

Winston Ingram
14-08-2013, 08:54 AM
Not if Pat managed them

hibs0666
14-08-2013, 09:03 AM
Really!!!!!!!

Aye really!!!!!!

spike220
14-08-2013, 09:04 AM
.....you do realise our U20s drew with Leith Athletic recently - get a grip .... So I take you are not following our first XI then!

bigwheel
14-08-2013, 09:12 AM
So I take you are not following our first XI then!

Dear oh dear.....so, you genuinely feel our first team would struggle against players who are just developing and can't get into our first team? yeh. Right. ... ...great point.

spike220
14-08-2013, 09:26 AM
Dear oh dear.....so, you genuinely feel our first team would struggle against players who are just developing and can't get into our first team? yeh. Right. ... ...great point. yeah cos they totally bossed hearts youth team on Sunday like........

KingFranck
14-08-2013, 11:23 AM
.....you do realise our U20s drew with Leith Athletic recently - get a grip ....

Aye but that side played Leith without
Sam Stanton
David Gold
Ross Caldwell
Danny Handling
Jordan Forster

As they are playing in two leagues now the team that plays in the East of Scotland League is a mixture of ages and I suppose the one that played v Aberdeen last night would be stronger.

leither17
14-08-2013, 11:56 AM
There's only one way to find out

FIGHT!!!!!!