PDA

View Full Version : Scotsman article about Hibs / Fenlon

SonOfTortolano
28-07-2013, 11:54 PM
http://m.scotsman.com/sport/football/spfl/pat-fenlon-fortunate-hibs-can-t-afford-to-sack-him-1-3019267

SonOfTortolano
28-07-2013, 11:55 PM
Please merge into other thread if required....

Dunderhall
29-07-2013, 12:03 AM
Please merge into other thread if required....
Only about 15 to chose from. :greengrin

If it had been written on the Friday it might have been a decent article, just mostly a rehash from here IMO. (not a dig at you posting it)

Treadstone
29-07-2013, 12:09 AM
Stuart Bathgate*. That throws up a red flag right away. One of the poorest journalists out there but hey ho thats 'The Scotsman' for you.

A sample :

"Here’s the way it probably looks inside Easter Road just now."

*He is definitely hurting.

hibby67
29-07-2013, 12:34 AM
looks to me as if the press are trying to stir up trouble and get the fans against each other and add to the unreast at easter road
all the articals i have read have just been total speculation or copying of what is getting quoted on Hibs.net
they only want to sell papers not interseted in what the truth might be,....:confused:

Gus Fring
29-07-2013, 12:51 AM
There's nothing to write about with Hearts at the moment as they wait for BDO to name a preferred bidder (or liquidate them) so they are kicking over rocks at Easter Road to see if they can find any stories under them. It's incredibly common, here's a tip to remember. Journalists don't write opinion pieces when there is news to keep them busy instead. They are usually used to keep their editors of their backs about why they haven't published anything.

We got beat 7-0 on Thursday, was it a bad result? Yes.
Does it bring the spotlight on to the way the club is run? Yes.
Is it going to uncover anything that we didn't know already. Is it fu..
The only difference between Hibs now and Hibs last Sunday is that we have a 7-0 defeat to Malmo on the record books.

Bathgate would like nothing more than to see Hibs fall into a state of disarray to give him something to write about that doesn't involve how royally snookered Hearts are.

Perhaps Mr Bathgate should be asking why Barry Anderson is still in a job? Given his mistakes with attendance figures, share certificate dates, self-sufficiency and million pound deals that were only actually 7.5% of the figure he quoted. Which I might add ended up on the front page of the bastion of quality local journalism that is the Evening News.

The Edinburgh Evening News: A paper written by roasters, for roasters.

Alfred E Newman
29-07-2013, 01:31 AM
Don't see much wrong with the article. More or less sums it up.

Onion
29-07-2013, 04:49 AM
Might be true that we can't afford to sack Fenlon, but that really changes nothing. The relationship between Fenlon and supporters appears to be terminally damaged. All it will take is one bad result/performance and the fans will be right on Fenlon's back. You cannot work under those circumstances for long, and he'll know that.

Fenlon is finished and the team will suffer for that with lack of support and zero confidence in them. If Petrie fails to act, this will be Calderwood II without the sweetie bag.

Centre Hawf
29-07-2013, 04:59 AM
Total speculation piece, not sure how they can say we can't afford to sack someone when we're on the brink of signing a 200k pound striker, which by the way Mr Bathgate seems to think has been completed judging by his inclusion of the player in the piece he's written.

The press can all have their say about the club, they will all say the same things people on the board has said "Somethings wrong" "Rotten to the core" "Long list of managers" "Sack the board" but the reality of it all is that they don't have the faintest clue whats happening on a spreadsheet or behind a closed office door.

Purehibee_MYB
29-07-2013, 05:15 AM
Total speculation piece, not sure how they can say we can't afford to sack someone when we're on the brink of signing a 200k pound striker, which by the way Mr Bathgate seems to think has been completed judging by his inclusion of the player in the piece he's written.

The press can all have their say about the club, they will all say the same things people on the board has said "Somethings wrong" "Rotten to the core" "Long list of managers" "Sack the board" but the reality of it all is that they don't have the faintest clue whats happening on a spreadsheet or behind a closed office door.

When they say we can't afford to sack him, it's not necessarily just financially they mean in terms of the repercussions for the board and club from doing it.

Beefster
29-07-2013, 05:51 AM
Journalists start saying what the majority of the support is and they're just rehashing stuff and are poor journalists.

Some parts of this forum since Thursday have been reminiscent of Sickbag at its most deluded.

Iain G
29-07-2013, 06:04 AM
Bathgate really is a hack trying to stir it all up but not having the journalistic or basic English language skills to actually do it with any kind of style or substance.

And from that article it sounds like he is a mate of Yogi who is still bitter at Rod getting rid of the havering fool :wink:

Velma Dinkley
29-07-2013, 06:12 AM
Journalists start saying what the majority of the support is and they're just rehashing stuff and are poor journalists.

Some parts of this forum since Thursday have been reminiscent of Sickbag at its most deluded.

If you're seriously trying to tell us that this is good journalism then I would have agree with the latter part of this post :greengrin

marinello59
29-07-2013, 06:20 AM

If we have spent 200k on a striker that's a considerable sum for is and therefore a massive show of faith in Fenlon's ability by the boards. That makes it more difficult for the board to sack him just a few days later. What if the new man doesn't wan the player? What of the player himself no longer wants to come to the club that has got rid of the man that sold it to him? Where would it leave the already shredded credibility of Rod Petrie? There are more than financial costs involved to some in doing the right thing and ditching Pat Fenlon. What a sorry mess this is.

OrdHibby
29-07-2013, 06:53 AM
Might be true that we can't afford to sack Fenlon, but that really changes nothing. The relationship between Fenlon and supporters appears to be terminally damaged. All it will take is one bad result/performance and the fans will be right on Fenlon's back. You cannot work under those circumstances for long, and he'll know that.

Fenlon is finished and the team will suffer for that with lack of support and zero confidence in them. If Petrie fails to act, this will be Calderwood II without the sweetie bag.

This.

If Fenlon had any dignity he would have resigned. I don't blame him for being pish and he's a likable guy but he's now went down in my estimations for not resigning. As for Petrie, Hibs will lose more in stay away supporters if he DOESN'T remove Fenlon.
But hey ho, Petrie knows best as he has shown many times before with CC etc.

EuanH78
29-07-2013, 07:53 AM
This.

If Fenlon had any dignity he would have resigned. I don't blame him for being pish and he's a likable guy but he's now went down in my estimations for not resigning. As for Petrie, Hibs will lose more in stay away supporters if he DOESN'T remove Fenlon.
But hey ho, Petrie knows best as he has shown many times before with CC etc.

Conversely, Fenlon not resigning makes him go up in my estimation. We need a team of grafters that don't run away when things get tough - almost the exact opposite to what we got on Thursday - If the manager is man enough to not go into hiding, return and face the flak and continue, then he can expect the same from his team, exactly the qualities I want Hibs to have but have been missing for years, not just under PF's tenure.

southsider
29-07-2013, 08:20 AM
Pat should have walked after THAT cup final. Now we are in crisis mode as the confidece of the players must be shattered.Is it true that we have only won 1 game, in the league, since New Year ? If that is true God help us. If Pat has any balls he should go now as i don't think there are many left who thinks he can turn things around.

Beefster
29-07-2013, 08:29 AM
Pat should have walked after THAT cup final. Now we are in crisis mode as the confidece of the players must be shattered.Is it true that we have only won 1 game, in the league, since New Year ? If that is true God help us. If Pat has any balls he should go now as i don't think there are many left who thinks he can turn things around.

No. We've won four out of seventeen.

Pedantic_Hibee
29-07-2013, 10:00 AM
Bathgate is a flump.

Good article by Leckie, a fine journalist IMHO.

hughio
29-07-2013, 03:29 PM
Bathgate is a flump.

Good article by Leckie, a fine journalist IMHO.

Even better piece by Graeme Spiers in saturdays Herald I thought.

Phil D. Rolls
29-07-2013, 06:02 PM
Wtf is passively disenchanted? "We know you are unhappy, you just don't want to say it".

Nearly 17000 passively disenchanted supporters pitched up last Thursday. I think that suggests people want things to work out.

Passively disenchanted supporters stay at home and stay quiet. An article full of bold assertions about Hibs fans, yet no real way of backing them up.

A significant number of people I know think this journo is not very good. FACT.

NAE NOOKIE
29-07-2013, 07:21 PM
What do folk expect ? This is what journalists do !!!

From the outside looking in Hibs have been and after the Malmo result look like they still are a shambles on the park. We have been for over 4 years and our efforts to fix the problem in that time have met with disaster.

No wonder journalists are beginning to hash up these opinion peices. They are now mostly beginning to turn their beady eyes away from the pitch and the dugout and towards the board room in order to find the one common denominator in our year on year on field failure.

This is also where we must be looking too .... It is all well and good being able to say the club is stable and we are getting there, but Hibs are not in the type of business where progress at this snails pace is going to attract customers or even keep the ones they have.

I for one dont think the Malmo result can be used to judge how our season will go. We were rubbish on the night and Malmo seem like a decent team, who were also well ahead of us fitness and sharpness wise. That doesnt excuse the drubbing we took though.

Also the total lack of reaction from the top inside ER to what looks like on the pitch meltdown does nothing to stop this sort of stuff being written.

How long before the hacks turn their attention away from Rod Petrie to where the problem really lies. A club owner who appears to have no emotional investment in the clubs 'on field' fortunes and 'appears' to be singularly unaffected by its now depressingly long running period in the doldrums. Two cup finals in a year would indeed be something to boast about, if not for the fact that one ended in utter humiliation and the other in tame surrender.

The bottom line for any football club ( especially one that should be a major player in its country ) is doing well on the pitch .... but if its abject on field failure does not appear to bother the guy who owns it ......... why the hell should the people who pay to watch it continue to care either?

I dare say that someone will reply to this post saying " I know Tommy Farmer and he really really cares about the teams failures and was in the lavvy sobbing his wee heart out on Thursday night "

Lets hear it from the horses mouth.

Hibs07p
29-07-2013, 07:45 PM
IMO, they are only printing what is posted on here most of the time.

GGTTH

Bostonhibby
29-07-2013, 08:04 PM
Wtf is passively disenchanted? "We know you are unhappy, you just don't want to say it".

Nearly 17000 passively disenchanted supporters pitched up last Thursday. I think that suggests people want things to work out.

Passively disenchanted supporters stay at home and stay quiet. An article full of bold assertions about Hibs fans, yet no real way of backing them up.

A significant number of people I know think this journo is not very good. FACT.

Is it like can't be arsed being disenchanted? or how about being seriously disenchanted but great at not showing it? Sounds to me like ER is being infiltrated by the agnostic aetheists to me.:greengrin we need to watch out.

jakeshibs
29-07-2013, 08:57 PM
What do folk expect ? This is what journalists do !!!

From the outside looking in Hibs have been and after the Malmo result look like they still are a shambles on the park. We have been for over 4 years and our efforts to fix the problem in that time have met with disaster.

No wonder journalists are beginning to hash up these opinion peices. They are now mostly beginning to turn their beady eyes away from the pitch and the dugout and towards the board room in order to find the one common denominator in our year on year on field failure.

This is also where we must be looking too .... It is all well and good being able to say the club is stable and we are getting there, but Hibs are not in the type of business where progress at this snails pace is going to attract customers or even keep the ones they have.

I for one dont think the Malmo result can be used to judge how our season will go. We were rubbish on the night and Malmo seem like a decent team, who were also well ahead of us fitness and sharpness wise. That doesnt excuse the drubbing we took though.

Also the total lack of reaction from the top inside ER to what looks like on the pitch meltdown does nothing to stop this sort of stuff being written.

How long before the hacks turn their attention away from Rod Petrie to where the problem really lies. A club owner who appears to have no emotional investment in the clubs 'on field' fortunes and 'appears' to be singularly unaffected by its now depressingly long running period in the doldrums. Two cup finals in a year would indeed be something to boast about, if not for the fact that one ended in utter humiliation and the other in tame surrender.

The bottom line for any football club ( especially one that should be a major player in its country ) is doing well on the pitch .... but if its abject on field failure does not appear to bother the guy who owns it ......... why the hell should the people who pay to watch it continue to care either?

I dare say that someone will reply to this post saying " I know Tommy Farmer and he really really cares about the teams failures and was in the lavvy sobbing his wee heart out on Thursday night "

Lets hear it from the horses mouth.

STF is not to blame, he ensures our future, and has kept us in football, look at Hearts. we own our stadium, our training ground and have just purchased a 200K striker. we have solid foundations. The result against MALMO was horrific, but that was not STF or RP doing, they don't conduct training or pick the team or have the honour of running out on to the pitch. This was our team and our manager no one else...... we did our part and turned up in numbers, the board have done their bit provided funds and got the players the manager has requested. the players failed us and did not perform or show the desire or hunger and PF could not motivate them to dig deeper. its about what we do now that defines us..... yes we can call it a day sack the manager and continue like we have done for the past 6 years or we can defy them all, stand together support the HIBS when they are down, to ensure we rise get the revenue to improve, lift our players heads and let them know we will support them evermore. I have supported HIBS all my life some 41 years now and have seen/witnessed worse performances at ER than that. lets look on the positives back to back finals, Europe, undefeated against them and heading in the right direction.... I am with the late great Lawrie Reilly " I was born a Hibby and I will die a Hibby" here's to the new season mon Collins welcome to ER.... (this is just my heart speaking out loud)

borderhibby
29-07-2013, 09:18 PM
Well said young man I have been a Hibby all of my days watched Joe Baker and all of the teams since then, now as in many times in the past this club and in particular the younger players needs its supporters US to be there for them these young lads will need all the support they can get this weekend forget the arguments about who is in charge of the team they (the players) always need encouragement from the terracings we are all Hibby's so come on support your team this weekend of all times they need us now more than ever.:agree:

STF is not to blame, he ensures our future, and has kept us in football, look at Hearts. we own our stadium, our training ground and have just purchased a 200K striker. we have solid foundations. The result against MALMO was horrific, but that was not STF or RP doing, they don't conduct training or pick the team or have the honour of running out on to the pitch. This was our team and our manager no one else...... we did our part and turned up in numbers, the board have done their bit provided funds and got the players the manager has requested. the players failed us and did not perform or show the desire or hunger and PF could not motivate them to dig deeper. its about what we do now that defines us..... yes we can call it a day sack the manager and continue like we have done for the past 6 years or we can defy them all, stand together support the HIBS when they are down, to ensure we rise get the revenue to improve, lift our players heads and let them know we will support them evermore. I have supported HIBS all my life some 41 years now and have seen/witnessed worse performances at ER than that. lets look on the positives back to back finals, Europe, undefeated against them and heading in the right direction.... I am will the late great Lawrie Reilly " I was born a Hibby and I will die a Hibby" here's to the new season mon Collins welcome to ER.... (this is just my heart speaking out loud)

Hibernia&Alba
30-07-2013, 12:13 AM
I see he mentions the hibs.net poll. Is said journalist a visitor here? LTYF :lolyam:

Phil D. Rolls
30-07-2013, 11:12 AM
IMO, they are only printing what is posted on here most of the time.

GGTTH

A manager of Hibs, who wasn't very good, once said it isn't even Hibs fans that post on here.

I also remember a newspaper poll that suggested Miller should go. Two months later, he won the League Cup.

Good journalists are objective, and don't report fans opinions as fact.

GlenrothesHibee
30-07-2013, 11:56 AM
No. We've won four out of seventeen.

We're on a 3 game winning streak in the league ;-)