PDA

View Full Version : John Burridge should be called in

ManBearPig
28-07-2013, 01:52 PM
Get it sorted Petrie!

I know article a few years old but time is right

www.express.co.uk/sport/football/283918/John-Burridge-confident-he-can-save-Hibs-but-only-if-asked

Zondervan
28-07-2013, 02:00 PM
I tweeted him yesterday telling him to come to the rescue. Seems like he might now act upon my advice!

@TheBudgieTweets you fancy a job back in Edinburgh?! #budgieforhibs

@TheBudgieTweets: @Zondervan1875 @WelshIrvine start a campaign. But British chairmen dont like eccentric coaches like me. They are so old fashioned.

Keith_M
28-07-2013, 02:15 PM
:greengrin

This has got to be the most 'left-field' suggestion yet!

Baldy Foghorn
28-07-2013, 02:21 PM
What coaching credentials does Budgie have? Or is it because he will be cheap:greengrin

ManBearPig
28-07-2013, 02:21 PM
:greengrin

This has got to be the most 'left-field' suggestion yet!

The guy is my hero, an absolute legend!! Might be kind of passion we need right now. He had huge impact when he came in to hibs team in 91

Moon unit
28-07-2013, 02:25 PM
The guy is my hero, an absolute legend!! Might be kind of passion we need right now. He had huge impact when he came in to hibs team in 91

Well said....love to see him motivating/arse kicking at East Mains!.. I'd also bring in Pat Nevin as a thinker, yin and yang thing! ..or maybe Cheech and Chong for that matter!..

Ozyhibby
28-07-2013, 02:47 PM
Most idiotic suggestion on here for quite some time.
:-)

J-C
28-07-2013, 02:48 PM
What coaching credentials does Budgie have? Or is it because he will be cheap:greengrin

Only 1, managed Blythe Spartans in 97 :confused:

Moon unit
28-07-2013, 02:52 PM

would he come for the 'Trill' of it all?..

blackpoolhibs
28-07-2013, 02:54 PM
I know he's been coaching keepers in the middle east since leaving Britain, i don't know if he'd be a good team coach, but he'd certainly be a terrific motivational figure?

I loved him as a character and a good keeper in his time at the club, i have heard worse shouts on bringing ex players back, but i don't know if he's what we need at this minute in time?

Certainly in the right management team, i can see his worth and what he would bring.

Pretty Boy
28-07-2013, 02:54 PM

Was the goalkeeping coach with Oman for years as eell. Ali Al Habsi is his protege.

Not that I think that qualifies him to manage Hibs of course.

nonshinyfinish
28-07-2013, 03:03 PM
I love Budgie, but seriously...

ManBearPig
28-07-2013, 03:07 PM
Think most punters wouldve said same of Mowbray prior to appointment. But agree with comment above maybe paired with a thinker type.

;-)

Ricky Bobby
28-07-2013, 03:16 PM
If and when we start looking for a new manager/couch, Budgie is a non starter.
Only one man for the job in my opinion, Get big Mcleish back.

Baldy Foghorn
28-07-2013, 03:23 PM
If and when we start looking for a new manager/couch, Budgie is a non starter.
Only one man for the job in my opinion, Get big Mcleish back.

The same Big Eck, who said he would stay with us, for as long as we wanted him, then jumped ship at the first available opportunity?

Pretty Boy
28-07-2013, 03:25 PM
The same Big Eck, who said he would stay with us, for as long as we wanted him, then jumped ship at the first available opportunity?

Did anyone actually believe McLeish when he said that?

It was said in the heat of the moment, I never took it as a serious pledge.

Baldy Foghorn
28-07-2013, 03:35 PM

Maybe so, but he has hardly set the heather alight in his various jobs since leaving us.....Spoke to a few Forest fans pre friendly and they hated him.......

snooky
28-07-2013, 03:37 PM

Surely the crux of the matter is, did McLeish actually believe McLeish when he said that. :coffee:

ManBearPig
28-07-2013, 03:40 PM
We couldn't afford Mcleish but we could Budgie!! F/*k it if we are looking at mental ex hibs goalies what about Bryan Gunn believe he is still without a club ;-)

Pretty Boy
28-07-2013, 03:50 PM
Maybe so, but he has hardly set the heather alight in his various jobs since leaving us.....Spoke to a few Forest fans pre friendly and they hated him.......

I've no desire to see McLeish back but that's based on hos managerial recors over the last few years, as you've acknowledged, as opposed to a stupid comment 12+ years ago.

Ricky Bobby
28-07-2013, 04:23 PM
There are a lot of things said by players and managers which i personally don't pay much heed to.
The fact of the matter is we were far more organised under Mcleish than we have been for some time.
Would we suffered defeat in the same manner on Thursday night under him? No danger.

Speedway
28-07-2013, 04:28 PM
Anyone remember how McLeish was doing when he left us?

Ricky Bobby
28-07-2013, 04:34 PM
Anyone remember how McLeish was doing when he left us?

47% win percentage at Hibs. Would take that just now in a heartbeat

Johnny Clash
28-07-2013, 04:35 PM
Budgie could help at Easter Road but not as manager. Perhaps some sort of coaching role for entire team?

He could help introduce a very impressive fitness regime for example. He was famous for his own personal standards which is why he could play long after most goalies hang up their gloves.

I saw both Malmo games and you could easily see how the Malmo boys were so much fitter. I don't just mean match fitness either.

I travelled with Budgie one time on train up from Newcastle. What a laugh. Then he excused himself and started munching rice and raisins and other healthy nosh from his Tupperware box and then starting exercising in the vestibule. I'm sure he was even doing pull ups from the luggage racks !!

I think we need a passionate character like Budgie who loves the club and connects with the supporters. I'm sure he could fit in and help out somehow!

Jonnyboy
28-07-2013, 04:36 PM

Mouth's too big. He'd be up in front of the beak's half the time

jazzy7070
28-07-2013, 04:42 PM
Gave me a wave at st Johnstone away... I'm in:)

KeithTheHibby
28-07-2013, 04:45 PM
47% win percentage at Hibs. Would take that just now in a heartbeat

Including the first division season? If so the stats are flawed in comparison with recent managers.

Ricky Bobby
28-07-2013, 04:50 PM
Including the first division season? If so the stats are flawed in comparison with recent managers.

Only 36 games in Div 1 in a total of 163 games in charge, and as other teams have shown recently the lower leagues are no pushover.
Look at the player quality brought in during his time in charge to some of the imposters we have been watching recently.

ManBearPig
28-07-2013, 04:51 PM
Budgie could help at Easter Road but not as manager. Perhaps some sort of coaching role for entire team?

He could help introduce a very impressive fitness regime for example. He was famous for his own personal standards which is why he could play long after most goalies hang up their gloves.

I saw both Malmo games and you could easily see how the Malmo boys were so much fitter. I don't just mean match fitness either.

I travelled with Budgie one time on train up from Newcastle. What a laugh. Then he excused himself and started munching rice and raisins and other healthy nosh from his Tupperware box and then starting exercising in the vestibule. I'm sure he was even doing pull ups from the luggage racks !!

I think we need a passionate character like Budgie who loves the club and connects with the supporters. I'm sure he could fit in and help out somehow!

Agred incredibly passionate about the game extremely experienced and knowledgeable. Would be an asset on some level at ER especially when lack of drive seems to be huge issue

Dunderhall
28-07-2013, 04:54 PM
I think he could help us succeed...

Ricky Bobby
28-07-2013, 05:01 PM

I would agree with you that Budgie obviously had great self discipline when it came to keeping himself in shape and prolonging his career, but i don't think he is the kind of personality to convince our players that they need to change their attitudes.
When he was at Hibs the players just thought he was a mad goalie who liked to clown around. At this moment in time a 'joker' is the last thing we need. Discipline and orgainisation and someone strong enough to enforce this on the players is the way i would go.

bigwheel
28-07-2013, 05:09 PM
Budgie was a good goalie and a great character . Mad as a box of frogs ! The sort that would be good to do one or two sessions on training . Frankly , almost unemployable as a manager ...

nickwhibs
28-07-2013, 05:17 PM
Ridiculous shout...but I like it! He'd be exactly the type of character we need. Get the players enjoying their football again but, most importantly, he's a winner and would instill a winning mentality back in the dressing room. I can't remember which player it was, but they said he was the main motivator in winning the Skol cup rather than Miller. But aye, maybe just as a coach at first I dunno. Although don't think Petrie would like someone as outspoken as him.

NORTHERNHIBBY
28-07-2013, 05:32 PM
Don't think that this idea will fly....:tumble:

ManBearPig
28-07-2013, 06:51 PM
Ridiculous shout...but I like it! He'd be exactly the type of character we need. Get the players enjoying their football again but, most importantly, he's a winner and would instill a winning mentality back in the dressing room. I can't remember which player it was, but they said he was the main motivator in winning the Skol cup rather than Miller. But aye, maybe just as a coach at first I dunno. Although don't think Petrie would like someone as outspoken as him.

Yeah and picked fight with hateley and wound up mccoist in tunnel before semi. Something along lines of over 300 games in England 1st div you couldnt handle 6!

Andy74
28-07-2013, 06:53 PM

I reckon losing at home to Stanraer before he was allowed to go on a spending spree ranks up there with any pasting off Malmo! And if we are talking meek cup final appearances...

Ricky Bobby
28-07-2013, 07:01 PM
I reckon losing at home to Stanraer before he was allowed to go on a spending spree ranks up there with any pasting off Malmo! And if we are talking meek cup final appearances...

Losing at home to Stranraer was our first game in Division 1, and obviously a disapointment but he did'nt take long to sort things out before winning the division with a record points total.
As for the cup final against Celtic, we are talking about a side that is far stronger to even the present Celtic side.

SquashedFrogg
28-07-2013, 07:30 PM
Losing at home to Stranraer was our first game in Division 1, and obviously a disapointment but he did'nt take long to sort things out before winning the division with a record points total.
As for the cup final against Celtic, we are talking about a side that is far stronger to even the present Celtic side.

Agreed. That was a very good Celtic team compared with now. Missing Franck and Russ that day didn't help us.

Hibbyradge
28-07-2013, 07:33 PM
Agreed. That was a very good Celtic team compared with now. Missing Franck and Russ that day didn't help us.

Russ was the manager's fault.

Green Cabbage 7
28-07-2013, 07:38 PM

Has all his coaching badges coached at Newcastle and Leeds also, he would also not suffer fools as he has the attitude of the fans deserve better

SquashedFrogg
28-07-2013, 07:41 PM
Russ was the manager's fault.

Yes, I suppose that's factually correct. But the manager wasn't 'up to no good' in the build up. If memory serves me right. Night club visits and engineering a transfer move put the manager in a difficult position I guess.

Ricky Bobby
28-07-2013, 07:52 PM
Yes, I suppose that's factually correct. But the manager wasn't 'up to no good' in the build up. If memory serves me right. Night club visits and engineering a transfer move put the manager in a difficult position I guess.

Spot on

Hainan Hibs
28-07-2013, 07:56 PM
There is no way you can compare the 2001 final with the (losing) ones that have followed. That Celtic team was one of the best I've seen which had mauled us the week or so previous.

Jonnyboy
28-07-2013, 08:05 PM
There is no way you can compare the 2001 final with the (losing) ones that have followed. That Celtic team was one of the best I've seen which had mauled us the week or so previous.

Indeed. Moravcic and Larsson alone prove that point.

patch1875
28-07-2013, 08:08 PM
Sure he would ruffle a few feathers

Green Cabbage 7
28-07-2013, 08:11 PM
Someone needs to come in and give this club a shake maybe even as a goalkeeping coach

Ricky Bobby
28-07-2013, 08:15 PM
[QUOTE=Green Cabbage 7;3693612]Someone needs to come in and give this club a shake maybe even as a goalkeeping coach[/QUOTE

For once the goalkeeper is the last of our worries.
I don't see Budgie being of any benefit to the club in any capacity.

Green Cabbage 7
28-07-2013, 08:25 PM
[QUOTE=Green Cabbage 7;3693612]Someone needs to come in and give this club a shake maybe even as a goalkeeping coach[/QUOTE

For once the goalkeeper is the last of our worries.
I don't see Budgie being of any benefit to the club in any capacity.

Sorry I disagree his drive and determination would be of benefit as was seen on Thursday the team look soulless

SquashedFrogg
28-07-2013, 08:35 PM
FWIW I don't think Budgie is the answer but I do feel we need people in who will 'shake things up'....

Tactics only get you so far... Guys like Butcher, Adams, Shields, McCall have put less expensive teams out on the park who have shown far more commitment/desire.

We barely put one tackle in last Thursday. Likewise in the cup final against Celtic. In the Hearts cup final Black strolled about like he owned the place.

I think back to when Killie beat Celtic last year in the league cup final. They looked like men possessed for 90 mins.

Ricky Bobby
28-07-2013, 08:45 PM
[QUOTE=Ricky Bobby;3693616]

Sorry I disagree his drive and determination would be of benefit as was seen on Thursday the team look soulless

Agreed, there are problems with the team, but the drive and determination you are talking about should be coming from the manager, and i don't think you are advocating that we should bringing in Budgie as manager.
We have some decent players at the club that need to be organised into a team. at the moment it's like watching eleven strangers, half of whom are playing the wrong positions.
That is why i think we should be making bold decisions and changing the manager before the season starts.
Like i have said before big Mcleish is sitting doing nothing at the moment and would certainly make us harder to beat.

Time For Heroes
28-07-2013, 08:49 PM
Surely Rangers would have said te same about McCoist, the motivation has to cone from the manager, if he doesn't have it in him get him binned.
I likes budgie but it's a no for me.

Green Cabbage 7
28-07-2013, 08:59 PM
[QUOTE=Green Cabbage 7;3693625]

Agreed, there are problems with the team, but the drive and determination you are talking about should be coming from the manager, and i don't think you are advocating that we should bringing in Budgie as manager.
We have some decent players at the club that need to be organised into a team. at the moment it's like watching eleven strangers, half of whom are playing the wrong positions.
That is why i think we should be making bold decisions and changing the manager before the season starts.
Like i have said before big Mcleish is sitting doing nothing at the moment and would certainly make us harder to beat.

I agree with you there, but I was thinking more of the whole coaching set up and maybe more people in with the same type of mindset, McLeish was a determined character so he would be a good shout for the managers post, but what about the back room staff, I think budgie would give the changing room a lift he new when to joke around but also when to be serious, just think maybe the players need a bit of both

Ricky Bobby
28-07-2013, 09:11 PM
[QUOTE=Ricky Bobby;3693646]

I agree with you there, but I was thinking more of the whole coaching set up and maybe more people in with the same type of mindset, McLeish was a determined character so he would be a good shout for the managers post, but what about the back room staff, I think budgie would give the changing room a lift he new when to joke around but also when to be serious, just think maybe the players need a bit of both

The more determined and professional people at the club the better, but we have been treading water for so long now that we need to appoint people who are tried and tested. We can't keep appointing inexperienced staff and hoping for the best, even though this approach has worked once or twice.

blairwallace
28-07-2013, 09:38 PM
didn't JC give the team a week at dreghorn barracks? how about an army drill officer as a fitness coach?!

nonshinyfinish
28-07-2013, 09:41 PM
didn't JC give the team a week at dreghorn barracks? how about an army drill officer as a fitness coach?!

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110105182322/blackadder/images/1/1a/Gen_Melchett.jpg

Problem solved.

Bostonhibby
28-07-2013, 09:43 PM
Get it sorted Petrie!

I know article a few years old but time is right

www.express.co.uk/sport/football/283918/John-Burridge-confident-he-can-save-Hibs-but-only-if-asked

:agree: We could get him to lamp Mark Hateley next time he is on telly bad mouthing us whilst masquerading as a football expert.

Bay Area Hibees
29-07-2013, 02:04 AM
[QUOTE=Ricky Bobby;3693283]There are a lot of things said by players and managers which i personally don't pay much heed to.
The fact of the matter is we were far more organised under Mcleish than we have been for some time.
Would we suffered defeat in the same manner on Thursday night under him? No danger.[/QUOTE

Mcleish was superb manager for us. Miles ahead fenlon, that's obvious. Frankly I don't care he left us, sorry but we re a small club in British terms so either we get someone on the up, on the down or as a gamble.

Would LOVE have big Eck back.