PDA

View Full Version : Motherwell Game

bighairyfaeleith
28-07-2013, 06:12 AM
I reckon we will bounce back and beat them 3-1 with a collins getting two and vine one.

Maybe the malmo game will turn into a positive.

HH81
28-07-2013, 06:16 AM
I reckon we will bounce back and beat them 3-1 with a collins getting two and vine one.

I am sure I read Vine is suspended?

WestEndHibee
28-07-2013, 07:22 AM

I Agree, it might be the eternal hibee in me rising up after being beaten down again but I think we will beat Motherwell.

AlbertK86
28-07-2013, 07:50 AM
I am sure I read Vine is suspended?

Yep him and Forster are suspended

brydekirk
28-07-2013, 08:11 AM
Mullen, Hanlon and Stevenson, that's our defence as it stands at the moment. We're goosed unless we bring someone in this week.

Gustavo Fring
28-07-2013, 08:25 AM
i wish i shared your optimism , unfortunatly the realist in me see's that defence of ours getting torn apart by a now fit mcfadden and another heavy defeat being on the cards .

Hibbyradge
28-07-2013, 08:38 AM
We'll lose.

We've hardly enough fit or eligible players to field a team.

Bostonhibby
28-07-2013, 08:42 AM
We won't defend and we will lose, really want to be positive but motherwell will outscore us, delighted to be wrong but they really seemed to enjoy playing us last season.

Purehibee_MYB
28-07-2013, 08:48 AM
I Agree, it might be the eternal hibee in me rising up after being beaten down again but I think we will beat Motherwell.

The MYB forever youthful and optimistic :flag:

mutley
28-07-2013, 08:50 AM
I'm not sure if I'm looking forward to this game yet. I can only hope the team have had their wake up call and put up some fight. As win on the first game of the season would be a bit of a boost. Although last year we lost our first game 3-0 and pushed on from there . I just hope we beat the yams the following week!!!

Eternal Hibbie
28-07-2013, 09:03 AM
We'll lose.

We've hardly enough fit or eligible players to field a team.

Would help improve our chances though if our manager played players in their best positions, what's the point in bringing Liam Craig to Easter Road and playing him on the left wing and wee Lewis at right back - jeezo !!!

Beefster
28-07-2013, 09:04 AM

Agreed. Nothing to suggest whatsoever that we won't win.

Keith_M
28-07-2013, 09:12 AM
We won't defend and we will lose, really want to be positive but motherwell will outscore us, delighted to be wrong but they really seemed to enjoy playing us last season.

Ahem, Motherwell 0 - Hibs 4?

Not every time, surely.

:wink:

Andy74
28-07-2013, 09:15 AM
When you think of our good run early last year just missing one or two of those guys would have been an issue.

We are looking at not having from that team:

McPake
Clancy
McGivern
Claros
Deegan
Wotherspoon
Cairney
Griffiths
Doyle

Scary!

coldingham hibs
28-07-2013, 09:16 AM
These injuries give us a chance to play a proper football player at the back, someone who reads the game and can play the ball intelligently on the ground.

If back and fit I would put Claros back there, he would stroll through the game.

I remember watching Blackley, Macnamara & Sauzee (sorry if spelt wrong) playing that role and what a difference it makes when players are composed on the ball. Failing Claros I would put Thomson there instead.

Bostonhibby
28-07-2013, 09:20 AM
Ahem, Motherwell 0 - Hibs 4?

Not every time, surely.

:wink:

:agree: Was aware of that when I went into print so expected a response :duck:

I was at the 0-4 game but I don't think we bossed it the way Motherwell bossed us in other games - their fight back at ER last time for example. We certainly scored more goals in our win but I guess we maybe never went expecting to win, I think quite a few teams like Motherwell have got too used to turning up against us and winning / dominating.

HH81
28-07-2013, 09:21 AM
These injuries give us a chance to play a proper football player at the back, someone who reads the game and can play the ball intelligently on the ground.

If back and fit I would put Claros back there, he would stroll through the game.

I remember watching Blackley, Macnamara & Sauzee (sorry if spelt wrong) playing that role and what a difference it makes when players are composed on the ball. Failing Claros I would put Thomson there instead.

Is Claros a Hibs player?

Keith_M
28-07-2013, 09:24 AM
:agree: Was aware of that when I went into print so expected a response :duck:

I was at the 0-4 game but I don't think we bossed it the way Motherwell bossed us in other games - their fight back at ER last time for example. We certainly scored more goals in our win but I guess we maybe never went expecting to win, I think quite a few teams like Motherwell have got too used to turning up against us and winning / dominating.

I know and I agree with your general point regarding their dominance over the season.

I just thought it was important to be pedantic, as it's expected on these boards. :greengrin

OrdHibby
28-07-2013, 09:24 AM

:aok:

I mind i used to be as optimistic like you are with this post. I think Fenlon remaining in charge will scupper any chance of Hibs resembling a football team let along take on a well organised and well managed Motherwell. Hibs at the present moment are out of their depth in the top division under Fenlons mis-guidance.

NORTHERNHIBBY
28-07-2013, 09:27 AM
Based on players that have left and players that have been retained, Stuart McCall has had a bigger rebuilding job to do the summer than we have, so they should really be facing the same problems that we are. Expect a draw. 1-1.

Bostonhibby
28-07-2013, 09:31 AM
I know and I agree with your general point regarding their dominance over the season.

I just thought it was important to be pedantic, as it's expected on these boards. :greengrin

:greengrin Couldn't you have at least made a spelling or grammatical mistake so I could pedantically respond in kind?! :grr:

Tyler Durden
28-07-2013, 09:35 AM
When you think of our good run early last year just missing one or two of those guys would have been an issue.

We are looking at not having from that team:

McPake
Clancy
McGivern
Claros
Deegan
Wotherspoon
Cairney
Griffiths
Doyle

Scary!

Is there any news McGivern?

Obviously we were always going to miss Griffiths but otherwise our problems for this game stem more from injury and suspension. If Forster and Vine were available I wouldn't be worried about not having any of the above. Particularly Deegan and Claros.

If McGivern is fit and Collins is signed and available I'm in the minority of fancying our chances. Not a fan of Fenlon but I still think he's signed enough good SPL level players to be competitive.

Keith_M
28-07-2013, 09:35 AM
:greengrin Couldn't you have at least made a spelling or grammatical mistake so I could pedantically respond in kind?! :grr:

Waht kind of speling mistik wood you lyke?

28-07-2013, 09:40 AM
I'm afraid I don't share you optimism TBH. We are going to have a very weak make shift back four so Motherwell will really have a go at us knowing that we wont be able to handle lots of pressure. If we walked away with a draw i'd be happy.

Sorry to be so negative but just trying to be realistic. I hope obviously that I am proved wrong and we can open the season with a win and give the fans a much needed lift after last Thursday.

BTW why is Forster suspended?

Glory Lurker
28-07-2013, 09:42 AM
I'll be there, but I have zero excitement about it. Obviously I'm hoping that we'll bounce right back from Thursday, but I expect Motherwell will blast out to try to get an early goal in the hope that it'll put the stands in to meltdown.

Tyler Durden
28-07-2013, 09:44 AM
I'm afraid I don't share you optimism TBH. We are going to have a very weak make shift back four so Motherwell will really have a go at us knowing that we wont be able to handle lots of pressure. If we walked away with a draw i'd be happy.

Sorry to be so negative but just trying to be realistic. I hope obviously that I am proved wrong and we can open the season with a win and give the fans a much needed lift after last Thursday.

BTW why is Forster suspended?

Presumably picked up too many yellows in last part of last season. I think it's a daft rule, surely they should be wiped as last seasons competition has ended. Different if someone is sent off for violent conduct on the last day but yellows should be wiped in my view.

FromTheCapital
30-07-2013, 05:02 PM
So, hopefully we can bounce back after the Malmo game but we're not going to dwell on that too much... Match predictions? Your team line-up's or what you think the attendance may be? I'm going to go for 2-1 to Hibs. After calming down and reflecting on the Malmo match, I believe it was a complete fluke. The first four times Malmo came forward they were 4-0 up! The defending was unacceptable and for that I've shuffled it up a bit. My team would probably be: Williams, Mullen, Forster, McGivern, Stevenson; Harris, Tudur-Jones, Thomson, Craig; Vine, Collins. As for the attendance, due to again the Malmo game I don't think we will get a big crowd at all so I'm going to go for somewhere around 9,500 and 10,000. Hopefully we can silence the critics, get a good start to the season and hopefully make it a successful one! :agree: GGTTH!

Gatecrasher
30-07-2013, 05:04 PM
1st game of the league campaign, Motherwell are good to watch, Collins signing. Should be a decent day.

Andy74
30-07-2013, 05:06 PM
So, hopefully we can bounce back after the Malmo game but we're not going to dwell on that too much... Match predictions? Your team line-up's or what you think the attendance may be? I'm going to go for 2-1 to Hibs. After calming down and reflecting on the Malmo match, I believe it was a complete fluke. The first four times Malmo came forward they were 4-0 up! The defending was unacceptable and for that I've shuffled it up a bit. My team would probably be: Williams, Mullen, Forster, McGivern, Stevenson; Harris, Tudur-Jones, Thomson, Craig; Vine, Collins. As for the attendance, due to again the Malmo game I don't think we will get a big crowd at all so I'm going to go for somewhere around 9,500 and 10,000. Hopefully we can silence the critics, get a good start to the season and hopefully make it a successful one! :agree: GGTTH!

A pity 3 of your team won't be able to play!

Tyler Durden
30-07-2013, 05:10 PM

Indeed. Is there not an existing thread covering this? Vine and Forster suspended and McGivern serious doubt - or is he definitely out?

OTJ as a makeshift centre back? Gareth Southgate style......

Aldo
30-07-2013, 05:16 PM
Indeed. Is there not an existing thread covering this? Vine and Forster suspended and McGivern serious doubt - or is he definitely out?

OTJ as a makeshift centre back? Gareth Southgate style......

Think we will see a team along the lines of

Williams
Mullen Hanlon OTJ Lewis
TT KT
Harris Robertson Craig
Collins

Chris.igoe
30-07-2013, 05:42 PM
Think we will see a team along the lines of

Williams
Mullen Hanlon OTJ Lewis
TT KT
Harris Robertson Craig
Collins

This. I think Robertson is going to be good this season.

FromTheCapital
30-07-2013, 05:44 PM
:doh:

nickwhibs
30-07-2013, 06:11 PM
Williams (Cpt)

Mullen - OJT - Hanlon - Stevenson

Thomson

Craig Taiwo Harris

Collins

Not great, but best we can do just now. I think the tactics, will to win, sharpness, being quick in possession and movement off the ball are the keys to success rather than merely the personnel. Something Fenlon and his staff should be training and motivating them to do.

Makaveli
30-07-2013, 06:14 PM
Williams (Cpt)

Mullen - OJT - Hanlon - Stevenson

Thomson

Craig Taiwo Harris

Collins

Not great, but best we can do just now. I think the tactics, will to win, sharpness, being quick in possession and movement off the ball are the keys to success rather than merely the personnel. Something Fenlon and his staff should be training and motivating them to do.

Ambitious going with 10, mate. :greengrin

Add Robertson to the midfield and it's the best we can do IMO.

MyJo
30-07-2013, 06:20 PM
I think i might cry if i see Craig being played out wide again :grr:

I would go for:

________________Williams

Mullen______Jones______Hanlon_____Stevenson

___________Taiwo______Thomson

_________________Craig
_____Harris___________________Handling

_________________Collins

Squealing pig
30-07-2013, 06:26 PM
Take tudor jones at ch before hanlon anyday

nickwhibs
30-07-2013, 06:32 PM
Ambitious going with 10, mate. :greengrin

Add Robertson to the midfield and it's the best we can do IMO.

Oops, meant to put Caldwell in upfront alongside Collins.:embarrass

soproni1
30-07-2013, 06:37 PM
This. I think Robertson is going to be good this season.

Yeah. Would like to see him start on Sunday to get him going.

Chris.igoe
30-07-2013, 06:57 PM
Williams
Mullen. otj Hanlon Stevenson
Thomson
Handling Robertson Craig Harris
Collins

silverhibee
30-07-2013, 07:07 PM
:sofa:

DH1875
30-07-2013, 07:24 PM
:sofa:

:agree::agree::agree:.

Centre Hawf
30-07-2013, 07:36 PM
Going for a 2-1 as well because I can't see us keep a clean sheet.

-----------------Williams--------------

Mullen------OTJ--------Hanlon-------Stevenson

---------------KT------TT---------------

----Robertson----Craig------Harris-----

----------------Collins--------------

Robertson playing as more of another attacking midfield with Harris being allowed to drift, roam and stretch the play as much as possible. I really hope to see Robertson coming onto a game this season.

scoopyboy
30-07-2013, 07:39 PM

Seen a lot of Tudor Jones at centre half have we?

Jonnyboy
30-07-2013, 07:42 PM

:rolleyes:

Brightside
30-07-2013, 08:00 PM

Aye sure you would. Jesus H. :rolleyes:

Hermit Crab
30-07-2013, 08:24 PM

Haha. Nice try.

Pretty Boy
30-07-2013, 08:31 PM
Williams

Mullen
Jones
Hanlon
Stevenson

Thomson

Taiwo
Robertson
Craig

Harris

Collins

HibeeSince85
30-07-2013, 08:32 PM
I think we'll get beat. 3-1 Motherwell for me.

My team would be:

Williams

Mullen
Jones
Hanlon
Stevenson

Harris
Robertson
Thomson
Craig
Handling

Collins

Such a weak team but the best I could put together. The defence scares me. The midfield might have some creativity now Craig is in the middle but Handling really shouldn't be anywhere near the first XI.

Hopefully Collins is something special otherwise I see a stronger 'Well winning this one.

Teapot
30-07-2013, 08:39 PM

Robertson playing as more of another attacking midfield with Harris being allowed to drift, roam and stretch the play as much as possible. I really hope to see Robertson coming onto a game this season.

I would probably go with this as well. If Mcfadden starts out wide left it will be important to provide Mullen with cover and i reckon Robertson would be best to do this.

Sutton as well is a dead cert to score if he plays.

rcarter1
30-07-2013, 08:55 PM

Like this as well, looking forward to Craig (and everyone else for that matter) playing in a position they are confident with. We'll need it!! :agree:

3pm
30-07-2013, 08:59 PM

Still on the ching...

Tyler Durden
30-07-2013, 09:06 PM
I think we'll get beat. 3-1 Motherwell for me.

My team would be:

Williams

Mullen
Jones
Hanlon
Stevenson

Harris
Robertson
Thomson
Craig
Handling

Collins

Such a weak team but the best I could put together. The defence scares me. The midfield might have some creativity now Craig is in the middle but Handling really shouldn't be anywhere near the first XI.

Hopefully Collins is something special otherwise I see a stronger 'Well winning this one.

I'm not sure why you think this is such a weak team?

That midfield should be stronger than most in the league on individual merits certainly - it's the way Fenlon sets them out and lack of movement that is a worry. Hopefully Robertson and Craig can get beyond Collins and actually we get numbers into the box.

I think people are over estimating the strength of Motherwell.

HibeeSince85
30-07-2013, 10:13 PM
I'm not sure why you think this is such a weak team?

That midfield should be stronger than most in the league on individual merits certainly - it's the way Fenlon sets them out and lack of movement that is a worry. Hopefully Robertson and Craig can get beyond Collins and actually we get numbers into the box.

I think people are over estimating the strength of Motherwell.

Mainly due to the defence.

Hibs07p
30-07-2013, 10:34 PM
I think "hammer of the hearts" Caldwell should get a start to warm him up for Tinnie next week.
Being serious, I'm surprised he's not being quoted on here as a starter.

GGTTH

scoopyboy
31-07-2013, 07:49 AM
Williams

Mullen
Jones
Hanlon
Stevenson

Thomson

Taiwo
Robertson
Craig

Harris

Collins

I don't think OTJ will be playing centre half, he doesn't rate himself as a commanding centre half but will obviously play there if asked.

In the closed door game Paul Hanlon and Jordon Forster were the centre halves, with Alan Maybury coming on for Jordon.

Surely if OTJ was going to play there on Sunday they would have played him there in the bounce match.

I think we will have a new signing (Matthew Bates?) at centre half.

As a long shot Alan Maybury???? Came on for Jordon the other day and played at centre half again last night at the Pennypit.

As a BTW Scott Robertson is buzzin, he's lost half a stone and was outstanding in the bounce as was Liam Craig.

Andy74
31-07-2013, 08:50 AM
I don't think OTJ will be playing centre half, he doesn't rate himself as a commanding centre half but will obviously play there if asked.

In the closed door game Paul Hanlon and Jordon Forster were the centre halves, with Alan Maybury coming on for Jordon.

Surely if OTJ was going to play there on Sunday they would have played him there in the bounce match.

As a long shot Alan Maybury???? Came on for Jordon the other day and played at centre half again last night at the Pennypit.

As a BTW Scott Robertson is buzzin, he's lost half a stone and was outstanding in the bounce as was Liam Craig.

Sounds good. I'ts a pity we have so many defensive problems to start the season as I think we have the makings of a good team further up the pitch.

Really hope we have a new centre half as the other options are far from ideal!

JimBHibees
31-07-2013, 08:55 AM

Wonder why he didnt get more of a run last Thursday? Good to hear as a very good player when fit.

Heisenberg
31-07-2013, 08:56 AM
Hope Robertson gets a chance to show what he can do, he certainly would offer more going forward than our other central midfield options. I'd play Craig in the middle too but I can't see Pat doing that.

Brightside
31-07-2013, 08:56 AM
I'd be happier with Maybury in next to Hanlon. An exp player will help calm things down.
Im concerned that Robertson may have lost half a stone. He must be one of the skinniest players ive ever seen in a Hibs shirt. There is nothing of him.

Liams
31-07-2013, 08:58 AM
I think the exact same will happen like last year, get pumped or beat then have a good couple of months going to xmas!

Andy74
31-07-2013, 09:00 AM
I'd be happier with Maybury in next to Hanlon. An exp player will help calm things down.
Im concerned that Robertson may have lost half a stone. He must be one of the skinniest players ive ever seen in a Hibs shirt. There is nothing of him.

Is Maybury even registered? He doesn't have a squad number in the list issued yesterday does he?

Brightside
31-07-2013, 09:03 AM
Williams

Mullen - Maybury - Hanlon - Stevenson

OTJ - Thomson

Robertson - Craig - Harris

Collins

Handling to replace Craig in 2nd Half
Caldwell to replace Collins in 2nd Half
Stanton to replace Robertson in 2nd Half.

Only reason id drop Taiwo is both he and Thomson are left sided so OTJ may provide the defensive cover.

No reason why that team should not beat Motherwell. But Fenlon will probably put out a 442!

green glory
31-07-2013, 09:06 AM
Have I missed something re Maybury playing for is again?

MyJo
31-07-2013, 09:07 AM
Is Maybury even registered? He doesn't have a squad number in the list issued yesterday does he?

He probably signed a new contract 3 months ago and Hibs are just waiting for the right time to announce it for "maximum impact" :greengrin

number9dream
31-07-2013, 09:14 AM
Motherwell have lost the blistering pace of Humphrey and Ojamaa as well as Higdon, who was full of confidence last season. Randolph was a top keeper and Law will also be a big miss in the middle of the park. They don't appear to have replaced Hateley with a natural full-back. His free-kicks were also excellent.
So far, so good...
However, they still have McFadden, who ripped us a new last time we played and was showing signs of his old magic at the end of the last campaign. Vigurs is strong and skillful and, if McManus is up to speed, a very good central defence. Hutchinson is a great player.
Guys like Hammell, Lasley and Lawson are all solid pros.
On balance, it looks like Well are a weaker side (we'll see after Thursday's Euro game) but without Griffiths and Claros and some of our injured / suspended players, we most definitely are. Collins is going to have to be something special but isn't going to be anywhere near match fit since he was frozen out at Swindon.
The prospect of a back four containing Mullen, Stevenson and Hanlon - with the possibility of Maybury joining in the mayhem (is he still registered as a Hibs player?) - fills me with dread! Even if we do find a new player or two in the next few days they are not going to be match-ready.

Williams
(can't bring myself to list back four)
Robertson Thomson
Stanton--- Craig---- Harris
Collins

Andy74
31-07-2013, 09:16 AM
Williams

Mullen - Maybury - Hanlon - Stevenson

OTJ - Thomson

Robertson - Craig - Harris

Collins

Handling to replace Craig in 2nd Half
Caldwell to replace Collins in 2nd Half
Stanton to replace Robertson in 2nd Half.

Only reason id drop Taiwo is both he and Thomson are left sided so OTJ may provide the defensive cover.

No reason why that team should not beat Motherwell. But Fenlon will probably put out a 442!

I'm confused. Everyone doesn't want 442 now?

Brightside
31-07-2013, 09:21 AM

If he's not it would yet again be a stupid decision. Why sign a player on a player coach deal and then not register him?? We are looking like a Sunday league team now!

Brightside
31-07-2013, 09:23 AM

I would never play 442.

Onceinawhile
31-07-2013, 09:32 AM
If he's not it would yet again be a stupid decision. Why sign a player on a player coach deal and then not register him?? We are looking like a Sunday league team now!

Have we signed him on a player coach deal?

There's been 0 in the press about it.

blackpoolhibs
31-07-2013, 09:33 AM
Yippee dee, Maybury in to solve our defensive problems. :rolleyes: Deary me, he was struggling at full back, now it appears he might sign for us and play centre half?

Please bring in a central defender Pat, no more Maybury please.

Beefster
31-07-2013, 09:40 AM

Did everyone want 442?

When did he become a Hibs player coach?

Brightside
31-07-2013, 09:44 AM
I thought Maybury signed about 3 or 4 weeks ago? 1yr deal Player / Coach? and BH i know he's not the answer but he's a decent stop gap in the case of many injuries. I 100% agree we need a CH to be signed as i do not think McPake will ever play top flight football again.

For this game though I would rather play him and it would make sense why he played against Newcastle in that position.

Greendub
31-07-2013, 09:59 AM
Was having a look at the u-20's team that played Preston last night, maybury is on the team sheet, is there a young maybury at the club?

Andy74
31-07-2013, 10:23 AM
Did everyone want 442?

When did he become a Hibs player coach?

It seemed that way last year, yes. No one could understand why Fenlon wasn't playing it. Now he is that isn't right either. That seems to be the general pattern.

MyJo
31-07-2013, 10:37 AM
It seemed that way last year, yes. No one could understand why Fenlon wasn't playing it. Now he is that isn't right either. That seems to be the general pattern.

To be fair, last season we had the players to play 4-4-2 but the squad as it is as the moment is IMO better suited to a 4-2-3-1 formation with Collins or Vine being "target men" strikers with players like Harris, Craig, Cairney, Handling etc playing in the 3 behind the striker and two defensive minded midfielders like OTJ & Thomson helping protect a fragile defence which was our downfall last year.

Treadstone
31-07-2013, 10:37 AM

His biggest failure for me is failing to establish a pattern of play that works for us regardless of the formation. Still time though. Not a fan of his but he is our manager and will get the necessary support.

Craig_in_Prague
31-07-2013, 10:40 AM
His biggest failure for me is failing to establish a pattern of play that works for us regardless of the formation. Still time though. Not a fan of his but he is our manager and will get the necessary support.

yep,
he can play any formation he wants, so long as the team looks like its well drilled and can play some decent, attractive football, whilst not defending like an U8 girls team.

GlenrothesHibee
31-07-2013, 11:04 AM
I think i might cry if i see Craig being played out wide again :grr:

I would go for:

________________Williams

Mullen______Jones______Hanlon_____Stevenson

___________Taiwo______Thomson

_________________Craig
_____Harris___________________Handling

_________________Collins

I thought big Rob was back for a second there :-(

Brightside
31-07-2013, 12:50 PM
Confirmed that Maybury is re-registered. A solid pro that can fill in under emergencies! Its not an answer to our CH issue but well get us through Sunday!

blackpoolhibs
31-07-2013, 02:12 PM
Confirmed that Maybury is re-registered. A solid pro that can fill in under emergencies! Its not an answer to our CH issue but well get us through Sunday!

Cannae wait.

Brightside
31-07-2013, 02:23 PM
Cannae wait.

A pairing of Hanlon and Maybury must be getting you hard BH! :na na:

blackpoolhibs
31-07-2013, 02:50 PM
A pairing of Hanlon and Maybury must be getting you hard BH! :na na:

I dont mind Paul, he's nowhere near as bad as some folk make out. He's also nowhere near as good as some think either. :wink:

FFS Maybury has had his time at Hibs, he was ok as a stand in right back, but played way too many games last season because of injuries.

Bringing him in as cover for Centre half is a joke imo, Mullen Maybury Hanlon and Stevenson as a back 4 is just awful, although might hurry along the sacking of Fenlon.

Brightside
31-07-2013, 02:59 PM
I dont mind Paul, he's nowhere near as bad as some folk make out. He's also nowhere near as good as some think either. :wink:

FFS Maybury has had his time at Hibs, he was ok as a stand in right back, but played way too many games last season because of injuries.

Bringing him in as cover for Centre half is a joke imo, Mullen Maybury Hanlon and Stevenson as a back 4 is just awful, although might hurry along the sacking of Fenlon.

I reckon a shut out beckons.

jiggerman
31-07-2013, 03:12 PM
I'm always a pessimist but I can guarantee we'll lose to the well on Sunday.

Brightside
31-07-2013, 03:34 PM
I'm always a pessimist but I can guarantee we'll lose to the well on Sunday.

Lets see how Motherwell get on on Thursday before we make any calls about them.

#FromTheCapital
31-07-2013, 03:44 PM
Canny see anything other than a good old relentless pumping from motherwell :rockin:

Beefster
31-07-2013, 03:48 PM
We will win, Fenlon will sign a new five year contract and Hibs.net will be a place of contentment and tranquility.

Gustavo Fring
31-07-2013, 03:57 PM
to the optomists i admire your positive thoughts but i fear the worst against motherwell . mcall is a far smarter manager than fenlon . mcfadden is going to be match fit now . mcmanus at the back

personally i can see another humping on the cards , pressures on pat . he better hope collins turns out to be the new robbie keane or it could be a long afternoon

Speedway
31-07-2013, 03:57 PM

Maybury's the same height as McCann, so we've nothing to worry about in the centre of defence.

I believe that back 4 of Mullen, Maybury, Hanlon, Stevenson, to be spot on by the way.

Speedway
31-07-2013, 03:59 PM
to the optomists i admire your positive thoughts but i fear the worst against motherwell . mcall is a far smarter manager than fenlon . mcfadden is going to be match fit now . mcmanus at the back

personally i can see another humping on the cards , pressures on pat . he better hope collins turns out to be the new robbie keane or it could be a long afternoon

On the up side, a ginger manager of the mothers did once paste a clueless Hibs manager 6-2 and promptly got the Hibs job so who knows.

Speedway
31-07-2013, 04:34 PM
Now there's an idea of the side starting to form, perhaps we could go 4-2-3-1

Williams, Mullen, Maybury, Hanlon, Stevenson, OTJ, Thomson, Harris, Robertson, Craig, Collins

Get Harris and Craig to get balls in the box so Collins can do stuff like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8VSrpjs9Ek

chrisski33
31-07-2013, 04:36 PM
We will lose with mcfadden running rings round our defence!

just_joe
31-07-2013, 04:47 PM
11/8 Motherwell i know where my money is going.

Keith_M
31-07-2013, 04:48 PM
We will lose with mcfadden running rings round our defence!

McFadden doesn't run anymore

Pretty Boy
31-07-2013, 04:54 PM

He was doing plenty running when he absolutely roasted our defence at Fir Park last season.

NAE NOOKIE
31-07-2013, 05:46 PM
If I was the Motherwell manager I would probably play 3 forwards on Sunday, coz looking at what the Hibs defense is likely to be its considerably weaker than the one which lost 7 to Malmo.

If I was Pat Fenlon I would go for it 100% from the word go coz we dont look like a team who will be able to keep Motherwell out.

If he doesnt want to do that then it might be worth playing Thomson in a sweeper role, which he might be quite effective at.

Would be chuffed if we got a result from this one given the players we have out ........ cant say I'm optomistic though.

Speedway
31-07-2013, 05:47 PM
If I was the Motherwell manager I would probably play 3 forwards on Sunday, coz looking at what the Hibs defense is likely to be its considerably weaker than the one which lost 7 to Malmo.

If I was Pat Fenlon I would go for it 100% from the word go coz we dont look like a team who will be able to keep Motherwell out.

If he doesnt want to do that then it might be worth playing Thomson in a sweeper role, which he might be quite effective at.

Would be chuffed if we got a result from this one given the players we have out ........ cant say I'm optomistic though.

That made me chuckle.

chrisski33
31-07-2013, 08:42 PM

Runs more than our strikers and I bet he will he more dangerous

CallumLaidlaw
31-07-2013, 10:01 PM
Runs more than our strikers and I bet he will he more dangerous

Take it you've seen James Collins and Rowan Vine in a few games then?

marinello59
31-07-2013, 10:04 PM

He could walk rings round our defence.

Beefster
01-08-2013, 06:44 AM
He could walk rings round our defence.

Too right. Given how crap we are, I find the dismissal of the likes of McFadden and McManus on here completely baffling.

alan1875
01-08-2013, 06:50 AM
On his day McFadden is probably the best player in the league. If he maintains the form he showed in the final quarter of last year and stays fit, i reckon he will probably be the league top scorer. And he'll have a highlight reel similar to Griffiths' last year with all manner of wonderful goals.
He is class!

Aldo
01-08-2013, 07:25 AM
On his day McFadden is probably the best player in the league. If he maintains the form he showed in the final quarter of last year and stays fit, i reckon he will probably be the league top scorer. And he'll have a highlight reel similar to Griffiths' last year with all manner of wonderful goals.
He is class!

Class on his day Yes but he's not an out and out striker. He will prob reach double figures but will not be top scorer in League.

Brightside
01-08-2013, 08:46 AM
Guys we need to stop with the "defence is pish" angle. Its not. The team was setup to get battered last week - that is not the fault of the playing staff. Malmo attacked as a team - we defended as flat back 4. We can only hope that someone has given Fenlon a kicking and he sets the TEAM up to defend properly on Sunday. Also none of us have seen Motherwell play yet so to assume they are going to batter us is crazy.

Speedway
01-08-2013, 09:44 AM
Any chance we could go:

Williams

Hateley
Webster
Hanlon
Maybury

Thomson
OTJ

Harris
Robertson
Craig

Collins

On Sunday?

number 27
01-08-2013, 09:48 AM
Any chance we could go:

Williams

Hateley
Webster
Hanlon
Maybury

Thomson
OTJ

Harris
Robertson
Craig

Collins

On Sunday?

Absolutely no chance whatsoever.

blackpoolhibs
01-08-2013, 09:50 AM
Any chance we could go:

Williams

Hateley
Webster
Hanlon
Maybury

Thomson
OTJ

Harris
Robertson
Craig

Collins

On Sunday?

FFS where's Griffiths gone?

Speedway
01-08-2013, 09:51 AM
FFS where's Griffiths gone?

On the bench.

blackpoolhibs
01-08-2013, 09:52 AM
On the bench.

:greengrin

woody0-7
01-08-2013, 05:06 PM
So now we've signed nelson surely best team
Williams
Mullin
Hanlon
Nelson
Migevrn/Stevenson
Thomson
Taino/jones
Harris
Craig
Robertson
Collins
For Motherwell game that is!

007 Mickey Weir
01-08-2013, 05:17 PM
Yeah as above. But I would have Jones in instead of Taiwo to give us more height and strength on midfield. Have home sitting in front of back four man marking McFadden. That would free up Thompson, Craig and Harris in front of him. Then have Robertson playing in behind Collins. A draw from this game would be a good result all considering.

Against hearts we should go more attacking and play Vine and Collins up top. Drop Robertson.

NAE NOOKIE
01-08-2013, 10:35 PM
That made me chuckle.

Shows the sort of stuff that goes on in my head mate. I sometimes scare myself.

Vault Boy
01-08-2013, 11:16 PM
I think Taiwo should keep his place in the team ahead of OTJ for now, he played well for the majority of last season and looked like he was getting better in (nearly) every game. If there is a dip in form or an injury for a midfield player then I think Tudur-Jones should be given his chance to show what he can do. Having said that, I think the place next to Taiwo is up for grabs without Jorge in the squad, so I suppose it comes down to performances in training.

With the players available for the 'Well game:

Williams

Mullen Nelson Hanlon Stevenson

Taiwo Thomson

Harris Robertson Craig

Collins

Cod Boy
01-08-2013, 11:43 PM
I think Taiwo should keep his place in the team ahead of OTJ for now, he played well for the majority of last season and looked like he was getting better in (nearly) every game. If there is a dip in form or an injury for a midfield player then I think Tudur-Jones should be given his chance to show what he can do. Having said that, I think the place next to Taiwo is up for grabs without Jorge in the squad, so I suppose it comes down to performances in trainin

With the players available for the 'Well game:

Williams

Mullen Nelson Hanlon Stevenson

Taiwo Thomson

Harris Vine Craig

Collins

Vine cant play on sunday

Vault Boy
02-08-2013, 12:01 AM
Vine cant play on sunday

Ta, completely forgot. :doh:

Hibeesmad
02-08-2013, 01:46 AM
Williams

Mullen
Nelson
Hanlon
Stevenson

Harris
Thomson
Jones
Taiwo
Craig

Collins

scoopyboy
02-08-2013, 08:43 AM
Williams

Mullen
Nelson
Hanlon
Stevenson

Harris
Thomson
Jones
Taiwo
Craig

Collins

Don't think you will be far off the mark with that.

I would personally have Scott Robertson in place of OTJ.

silverhibee
03-08-2013, 09:33 PM
:sofa::sofa:

Hibs7
03-08-2013, 09:37 PM
:sofa::sofa:

Chicken :-)

silverhibee
03-08-2013, 09:56 PM
Chicken :-)

:smokin

mutley
03-08-2013, 10:08 PM
I'll go for a cheeky 2-1 win , yeah yeah optimistic I know, but 3 points tomorrow would be a great little lift

silverhibee
03-08-2013, 10:20 PM
One thing's for sure, we won't be at the bottom of the table tomorrow. :greengrin

Shields Hibee
03-08-2013, 10:45 PM
I'm going for 2-1 to us, Collins to get both on his debut.

Hibernia&Alba
03-08-2013, 11:37 PM
I really don't know. The head tells me we won't win, but it's the opening day and there's the optimism of a fresh start. As usual the heart the rules the head and I'm going 1-0 Hibs :greengrin

Jim44
04-08-2013, 12:06 AM
I don't think there is the remotest chance of a favourable result tomorrow but I've taken us for a low scoring draw in the PM Prediction league as there might be a a minor upset. On reflection I think we'll get cuffed so I'm off to change my prediction to a 4-1 canter for Motherwell.

mcculloch1875
04-08-2013, 12:38 AM
Does anyone know anywhere in Sydney showing the game today?

cad
04-08-2013, 07:06 AM
Harsh reality check for Hibs last Thursday our frailties are all too obvious, yet Hibs often for no other reason get a result when you least expect it , so I'm going for 2-1 Hibs , why , well because its Hibs

Craig_in_Prague
04-08-2013, 07:08 AM
Think we'll lose 3-0.
But holding them to 3 will no doubt be another sign of our progress.

semaj64
04-08-2013, 07:14 AM
A lot to prove today going for a 2-1 Hibs win. Crowd reaction today will be important especially if we do not start well

KWJ
04-08-2013, 07:18 AM
Does anyone know anywhere in Sydney showing the game today?

Scruffy Murphys, probably hibees in there. Cheers will likely show it too.

YehButNoBut
04-08-2013, 07:22 AM
Hope I'm wrong but can't see any way we'll keep a clean sheet today so expecting a few goals, either 2-2 or 3-2 Hibs with a couple from JC.

Onion
04-08-2013, 07:22 AM
0-3 to Well. Will take a few weeks for the new guys to settle in, the Hibs crowd will be nervous and Well play like a team who know what they are doing.

Purehibee_MYB
04-08-2013, 07:25 AM
Hope I'm wrong but can't see any way we'll keep a clean sheet today so expecting a few goals, either 2-2 or 3-2 Hibs with a couple from JC.

My prediction/hope was for 2-2. Just think we are too leaky at the moment!

Pretty Boy
04-08-2013, 07:29 AM
1-2 Motherwell.

gegs70
04-08-2013, 07:31 AM
Motherwell have lost a few key player. Im not overly optimistic McCall will have them well organised! Scoring Draw for me...

hibbymick
04-08-2013, 07:31 AM
2-1 Hibs , Williams to get both for us.

Tyler Durden
04-08-2013, 08:08 AM
2-1 Hibs. Handling and Collins.

Steve20
04-08-2013, 08:11 AM
2-0 to Motherwell

trev the hat
04-08-2013, 08:13 AM
2-0 Hibs with Liam Craig getting off the mark along with Collins.

Andy74
04-08-2013, 08:15 AM
Tricky one. Motherwell have lost most of their key players and we still don't have much of a back 4. They had a disappointing European game as well.

Narrow win for Hibs.

down-the-slope
04-08-2013, 08:19 AM
2-1 Hibs , Williams to get both for us.

Way to early to be on the beer.....

Hibs win and keeper scores 2 goals......:crazy:

rcarter1
04-08-2013, 08:34 AM
Im really interested to see how Fenlon sets the team up w/o Griff, but with Collins. I just hope we have a system capable of putting pressure on Motherwell. Nelson could really help the confidence/organisation of the back four.
If attack them, 2-2, if we play cagey long ball, Im going 1-3 for Well.

Heisenberg
04-08-2013, 08:47 AM
Collins will need decent service into the box, hopefully Craig/Harris will provide it. Not feeling confident about our defence though. 3-1 Well.

Tyler Durden
04-08-2013, 08:57 AM
Im really interested to see how Fenlon sets the team up w/o Griff, but with Collins. I just hope we have a system capable of putting pressure on Motherwell. Nelson could really help the confidence/organisation of the back four.
If attack them, 2-2, if we play cagey long ball, Im going 1-3 for Well.

Yeah we should not need more than 3 from Thomson, Taiwo, OTJ, Robertson and Craig.

Which leaves Harris supporting Collins and in the absence of Vine I'd have Handling starting too.

I'd be disappointed to see Craig occupying a wide role.

Hainan Hibs
04-08-2013, 08:58 AM
Being optimistic I'll go for 1-1.

Allan45
04-08-2013, 09:04 AM
Hibs will put on a good show, they have to be up for it to build confidence all round. I'm going 2-1 for the Hibees!:wink:

JimBHibees
04-08-2013, 09:05 AM
4-1 Hibs Craig 2, Collins and Harris.

Hibee87
04-08-2013, 09:09 AM
Having only seen us play malmo since last last season, and ive managed to block that from my mind heres my tuppence.

I think it will be a tricky one, but can see it going either way. We have a lot of new players who should bring somthing different to the table. Collins is big lad and im confident that Harris and Craig will get in a few dangeorous balls. Add is Nelson and OTJ at corners and we have a couple of decent targets to aim for.
Higdon last season was bit of a pain for us with his elbows and brute force up top so him going is a bonus. I just hope mcfadden has an off day.

I think the midfield is the key for us today, watching the malmo game it was not entirely the defenses fault, it was the quick passing 1-2's in the midfield and the midfield not tracking the runner that allowed them to get in behind and wait for the cut back from the wing.

Mullen Nelson Hanlon Stevenson is the only back 4 we can go for. Am happy enough with that.

Midfield is a tricky one in that we have so many midfielders.

I think a winning midfield would be

..........thomson OTJ..............

harris..........handling..............craig

................collins....................

there is so many variations as I feel it harsh to drop taiwo, so Fenlon might prefer him to OTJ, robertson might be preferred to handling or even switch handling to the right mid harris on the left and craig in the middle.

either way I think on paper our midfield(ers) are more than capable of dealing with motherwell and create enough chances for collins and mullen and craig are good at set pieces. IM predicting a nervy first half with not many chances whilst we both work each other out, second half hibs to use the home advantage and pile on a bit more preasure and grind out a hard fought 2-0 win :) GGTTH

silverhibee
04-08-2013, 09:10 AM
4-1 Hibs

Top of the table today.

GGTTH

:sofa::sofa::sofa:

Leithenhibby
04-08-2013, 09:14 AM
2-0 Hibs.

It's how we do things!......... :wink:

SlickShoes
04-08-2013, 09:20 AM
Can't see us winning, had a dream we lost 3-1 so ill go for that

Allant1981
04-08-2013, 09:21 AM
Ive taken us to win 2-1 but for motherwell to score first, if it does pan out this way then hopefully its mcfadden who gets the first!!!

davhibby
04-08-2013, 09:29 AM
Score draw I think. I'm hopeful of us snatching a win but just can't see it

Hibs17
04-08-2013, 09:38 AM
Currently in Fuengirola and there is plenty bars to catch the game. Just wondering if there were any other Hibbys here and where would be best to go?

7heaven
04-08-2013, 09:46 AM
Watching game in McTavishies in santa ponsa
Any other Hibbies going

hibbymick
04-08-2013, 10:22 AM
Way to early to be on the beer.....

Hibs win and keeper scores 2 goals......:crazy:

Wake up Mr B , it's the Fenlon way, players out of position and all that.....I'm awaiting the day he puts WIlliams up front.

Hibeesmad
04-08-2013, 10:24 AM
I think it will end 0-0 but im hoping we manage to take the 3 points with a michael nelson 90th minute acrobatic goal

Albanian Hibs
04-08-2013, 10:25 AM
3-1 Hibs