PDA

View Full Version : Tam Preston article

PatHead
27-07-2013, 10:17 PM
Great article in Scotsman- http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/latest/tommy-preston-on-barcelona-and-the-famous-five-1-3017706

The Green Goblin
27-07-2013, 10:26 PM
Fantastic. Great read.

ano hibby
27-07-2013, 10:26 PM
Great article as you say

silverhibee
27-07-2013, 10:31 PM
Superb read from Tommy, sorry to read about his partner and now being in sheltered housing.

Tommy was a good friend of my Dad and when we gave him a lift to games it was great listening to his stories.

Jonnyboy
27-07-2013, 10:36 PM
Brilliant!!!! Such a fund of great stories :agree:

Pretty Boy
27-07-2013, 10:39 PM
Great wee read.

I honestly think Hibs should be far more committed to making sure that players we sign and young guys coming through know the history of the club. It might help a few of them realise what an honour it should be to pull on that top.

PatHead
27-07-2013, 10:41 PM
Superb read from Tommy, sorry to read about his partner and now being in sheltered housing.

Tommy was a good friend of my Dad and when we gave him a lift to games it was great listening to his stories.

Janet was great for Tam and really helped him. Tam is looking his age now and quite unsteady on his feet. Lovely guy with a great twinkle is his eyes. Always thought he was the Brycream guy in the close season rather than modelling suits. Stand to be corrected though.

Jay
27-07-2013, 10:42 PM

My dad was friends with Tommy Preston too and in his latter years he would occassioally go down to his pub for a natter. Dad always spoke very fondly of him. He could listen to his stories for hours.

jacomo
Great wee read.

I honestly think Hibs should be far more committed to making sure that players we sign and young guys coming through know the history of the club. It might help a few of them realise what an honour it should be to pull on that top.

:agree:

Our current representatives on the park should know this stuff.

Greendub
I love reading stories about hibs teams of old, just gutted I never got to experience them.

NAE NOOKIE
27-07-2013, 10:48 PM
A great read.

How very very sad that in the last two days I have read two people, one a great ex player say that it was perhaps for the best that Lawrie Reilly wasnt around to witness Thursdays game ...... what a damning endictment of our team.

speedy_gonzales
27-07-2013, 10:48 PM
My dad was a young lad when this photo was taken, I can't remember the exact when and where, but it's Tam Preston and a bunch of kids, Portobello and and the late 50's, early 60's would sound about right!

Jonnyboy
27-07-2013, 10:50 PM
A great read.

How very very sad that in the last two days I have read two people, one a great ex player say that it was perhaps for the best that Lawrie Reilly wasnt around to witness Thursdays game ...... what a damning endictment of our team.

Indeed. As Lawrie said, their thirds would beat that lot

TAHibby
27-07-2013, 10:56 PM
Aw man, fantastic read. Thanks.

woody0-7
27-07-2013, 10:57 PM
Excellent read, oh how lucky that generation were to watch that team!

BarneyBreslin
27-07-2013, 11:03 PM
My mate (hun) is the housing officer where he stays down at Granton. not got a bad word to say about TP. A true gentleman by all accounts.

kdhibees1
27-07-2013, 11:17 PM
Great article in Scotsman- sorry if posted earlier http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/latest/tommy-preston-on-barcelona-and-the-famous-five-1-3017706
Really enjoyed that!!! :top marks

woody0-7
27-07-2013, 11:27 PM
http://youtu.be/EBz7Ne5XnQk
A wee bit action from men themselves

Forza Fred
28-07-2013, 12:32 AM
I am one fortunate enough to have been entrusted with the legendary 'scrapbook'' mentioned in the article.

Many years ago, Tommy heard through a mutual friend that I was visiting from OZ, and gave him his scrapbook to pass on to me.

I always make a point of meeting up with Tommy for a beer when I'm back, but unfortunately last time back those plans fell through due to unforseen circumstances on my part.

I'll make sure I see him next time though, albeit it won't be at the Anfield Bar by the sound of things.

A lovely down to earth man, who was so proud to play for the Hibs - as many have said the article should be compulsory reading for the current mob.

Steve-O
28-07-2013, 02:03 AM
50,000 there for the Barca game, I can't even imagine that!

BoltonHibee
28-07-2013, 03:35 AM
Great read, what a guy what an era

BSEJVT
28-07-2013, 05:50 AM
Great article but what it does remind you of is just how far we have fallen even in my 40 odd years of watching Hibs let alone back to those days.

As others have said, this current lot have no idea how lucky they are to play for Hibs and what's worse probably don't care.