PDA

View Full Version : John Collins as Director of Football?

Gus Fring
27-07-2013, 05:07 PM
I know he left under a cloud but he still speaks highly of the club and I reckon he was doing good things before he left.

What if we put petrie in a non-footballing position, got JC in to oversee the football side of things and either sacked Pat or give him a chance under the new regime?

Emerald
27-07-2013, 05:09 PM
I know he left under a cloud but he still speaks highly of the club and I reckon he was doing good things before he left.

What if we put petrie in a non-footballing position, got JC in to oversee the football side of things and either sacked Pat or give him a chance under the new regime?

He was a crap manager who went on to other crap managerial stints. He had his chances and failed so why do we want a failed manager back?

offshorehibby
27-07-2013, 05:10 PM
I still don't see what a DoF actually does apart from eat in to the wage budget.

Thecat23
27-07-2013, 05:12 PM
One chance that happening and that's no chance mate.

coco22
27-07-2013, 05:14 PM
That kind of restructure is what's required but of the three guys you mention, I think none of them would take it on (with 2 / 3 being unpopular with the fans).

A radical shake up like that would require new blood and experience IMO.

Gus Fring
27-07-2013, 05:14 PM
He was a crap manager who went on to other crap managerial stints. He had his chances and failed so why do we want a failed manager back?

He might have been crap compared to Mowbray but he's still the last manager to win a trophy. Is he as bad as what we have had since?

I still don't see what a DoF actually does apart from eat in to the wage budget.

Usually they run the football side of things, particularly when you have someone in charge who doesn't have a clue (as we seem to have with Petrie)

blackpoolhibs
27-07-2013, 05:17 PM
He might have been crap compared to Mowbray but he's still the last manager to win a trophy. Is he as bad as what we have had since?

He won that cup using the players Mowbray had brought to the club, do you think he'd win anything with the ones he brought to the club?

Emerald
27-07-2013, 05:18 PM
[QUOTE=Bajillions;3692129]He might have been crap compared to Mowbray but he's still the last manager to win a trophy. Is he as bad as what we have had since?

This argument has ran for a while so no point in dredging it up again but John Collins does not have any track record as a manager to suggest he has got what it takes to lead a club. However, it may be argued that he is better than what we've had since, I'll give you that.

Purehibee_MYB
27-07-2013, 05:19 PM
He won that cup using the players Mowbray had brought to the club, do you think he'd win anything with the ones he brought to the club?

This. I was always a firm believer that Collins got his great reputation as a good manager off the back of Mowbray's signings, never seemed to do as well at the clubs he managed after he left us.

HUTCHYHIBBY
27-07-2013, 05:19 PM
I'd welcome Collins back as a non player signing re-organiser of the football side of the club.

Makaveli
27-07-2013, 05:20 PM

Factually inaccurate.

In 08/09 he fulfilled the aim of keeping Charleoi up and chose not to renew his 6-month contract.

In summer 2010 he was offered the Kortrijk job on the strength of his performance at Charleoi. Kortijk had just finished 4th and qualified for Europe so Collins had obviously earned a reputation in Belgium sufficient to interest their board. He turned the job down for family reasons.

coco22
27-07-2013, 05:20 PM

Usually they run the football side of things, particularly when you have someone in charge who doesn't have a clue (as we seem to have with Petrie)

I don't want Petrie away from the club but I do want someone who is passionate or understands football/hibs to lead the footballing decisions. Petrie is obviously a shrewd business man but is way off the mark with some of the big decisions over the last number of years. Would he be able to let the reigns go on this side of things? I very much doubt it.

Thecat23
27-07-2013, 05:21 PM
His views on the game were spot on. His man management wasn't great but the players for me took the piss. He wanted a very fit team who play close ball passing with the view of pulling the opposition out of position and thread through the channels. Watch the cup final you will see some cracking play exactly like that.

Sadly though his signings were very poor, which surprised me with the contacts he has in the game.

Emerald
27-07-2013, 05:22 PM
Factually inaccurate.

In 08/09 he fulfilled the aim of keeping Charleoi up and chose not to renew his 6-month contract.

In summer 2010 he was offered the Kortrijk job on the strength of his performance at Charleoi. Kortijk had just finished 4th and qualified for Europe so Collins had obviously earned a reputation in Belgium sufficient to interest their board. He turned the job down for family reasons.

Maybe he can come back then to keep us up, really inspiring.

CropleyWasGod
27-07-2013, 05:25 PM
I'd welcome Collins back as a player .

Fixed :greengrin

Makaveli
27-07-2013, 05:27 PM
Maybe he can come back then to keep us up then, really inspiring.

:aok:

LongshanksED
27-07-2013, 05:29 PM
Would take John Collins back in a minute at any role in ER

But did he not leave because he saw he was getting no backing from the board or his style of football

Leith Green
27-07-2013, 05:29 PM
Pat nevin??? .... Think someone along those lines would be a better shout. Someone with half a clue , understands the club, the fans, the scottish game..

Emerald
27-07-2013, 05:31 PM
Pat nevin??? .... Think someone along those lines would be a better shout. Someone with half a clue , understands the club, the fans, the scottish game..
How about getting someone who has a track record as a good manager instead of someone who loves the club but has no clue or experience, would that not be a better idea?

coco22

Agree, his name has been put in the hat before but for good reason. A hibs supporter too...

Robinho08
For me, Hibs have never been the same since that fall out after being knocked out by the Pars in the SCSF replay, then Petrie took the player's side when they complained about Collins' training methods. The one player who bought into Collins' ethos has become the most sucessful; Steven Flecther.

The Falcon
27-07-2013, 05:32 PM
Factually inaccurate.

So between leaving us in December 07 and now, July 13, he's had one managers job (for six months) which he chose to leave.

Hardly inspiring really, is it?

IFONLY
27-07-2013, 05:33 PM
IMO he wouldnt touch us with the proverbial barge pole after the way he was treated the last time. He IMO would have been a great manager for us if he had got the backing of Petrie but he decided to back the players with there moans about the training regime etc.

The Falcon
27-07-2013, 05:38 PM

He was MD at Motherwell when they went bust. But he IS a football man.

Leith Green
27-07-2013, 05:39 PM
How about getting someone who has a track record as a good manager instead of someone who loves the club but has no clue or experience, would that not be a better idea?

Because a director of football isnt a manager for a start. Being a good manager doesnt mean they will be a sucess as a director of football. They are there to direct the football side of things the right way. A guy like nevin gets the club, he gets the fans, he gets the way we expect our teams to play an that is pretty important

Makaveli
27-07-2013, 05:41 PM
So between leaving us in December 07 and now, July 13, he's had one managers job (for six months) which he chose to leave.

Hardly inspiring really, is it?

Inspiring for what? This thread isn't about him becoming our manager but rather our DOF, a role for which a history in management isn't always a positive. It's not happening, anyway.

My previous post was in response to the very specific fallacy that he "went on to other crap managerial stints" elsewhere.

Emerald
27-07-2013, 05:42 PM
Because a director of football isnt a manager for a start. Being a good manager doesnt mean they will be a sucess as a director of football. They are there to direct the football side of things the right way. A guy like nevin gets the club, he gets the fans, he gets the way we expect our teams to play an that is pretty important
Or get in the way of a good manager trying to do his job? I just don't see the point and you really don't hear of many clubs that have them. Not for me anyway.

Leishy1995
27-07-2013, 05:43 PM
For me, Hibs have never been the same since that fall out after being knocked out by the Pars in the SCSF replay, then Petrie took the player's side when they complained about Collins' training methods. The one player who bought into Collins' ethos has become the most sucessful; Steven Flecther.

That last sentence. Very telling.

The Falcon
27-07-2013, 05:44 PM
Inspiring for what? This thread isn't about him becoming our manager but rather our DOF, a role for which a history in management isn't always a positive. It's not happening, anyway.

My previous post was in response to the very specific fallacy that he "went on to other crap managerial stints" elsewhere.

How did his DoF turn out at Livi?

Viva_Palmeiras
27-07-2013, 05:47 PM

[Cough] A certain Mr Stevenson... [Cough]

and I thought that taking the players side was guff...?

Leith Green
27-07-2013, 05:49 PM
He was MD at Motherwell when they went bust. But he IS a football man.

As a director of football he wouldnt have much to do with the business side of things with hibs ( not sure what clout he had at well, pret ty sure that boyle was the main reason) .. Id rather have a guy like nevin having say over a managerial appointment than Petrie or whoever currently dictates.. We need positivity throughout the club at all levels and someone to oversee it.. We currently seem to potter along happy just to be here, its bollox and there just seems to be a poor attitude towards failure on the park, and it needs addressed by someone who can install what we are all about as a club across the various staff and players at Easter Road.. It should also be their job to make the appointments and desicions to ensure that the correct staff and mindset is in place to the benefit o the manager

The Falcon
27-07-2013, 05:50 PM

Kevin McCann hung on his every word......as did Andy McNeil

macd123
27-07-2013, 05:50 PM
159Antoine-courier, brian kerr, alan obrien, noubissie and gatheussi. No thanks. He was a disaster.

If you are going to break the bank for someone, it should be John Park.

Makaveli
27-07-2013, 05:52 PM
How did his DoF turn out at Livi?

It's a risk to assume you actually know, so I'll play along.

JC appointed Evans as manager when Hughes departed. Evans was soon sacked, "despite the results being generally acceptable" in the words of the Livi board.

He stuck by Evans and quit in protest.

LancsHibs
27-07-2013, 05:53 PM
Would not want anybody as a 'Director of Football', don't know what the purpose of it is?? A pointless position with no benefits, in fact just another obstacle for the manager!
Would take Collins as manager now though.

Emerald
27-07-2013, 05:54 PM
It's a risk to assume you actually know, so I'll play along.

JC appointed Evans as manager when Hughes departed. Evans was soon sacked, "despite the results being generally acceptable" in the words of the Livi board.

He stuck by Evans and quit in protest.
Just an observation but he does like a quit, doesn't he?

patch1875
27-07-2013, 05:54 PM
His first task would be to get shot of fenlon

jeffers
27-07-2013, 05:55 PM
I'm no Petrie lover but can someone who believes he sided with the players against Collins please explain to me just what it was he did ? It's one of the lines repeated on this forum (we could have had Griffiths for £150,000 being another one) that is just not true.

As far as Collins as DOF are they not supposed to identify signing targets ? Or manage playing budgets (as BH now knows RP has full control over that :wink:) No to both from me as far as Collins is concerned. I do wish there could be some role for him, possibly with the younger players as he definitely has some good ideas.

Emerald
His first task would be to get shot of fenlon

Get him in tomorrow :thumbsup:

Leith Green
Or get in the way of a good manager trying to do his job? I just don't see the point and you really don't hear of many clubs that have them. Not for me anyway.

Name the last Good Hibs manager that was appointed, getting someone on the board who has a bloody clue would be a start, im not talking about someone getting involved in identifying signings or talking tactics.. But someone who can direct the football side of the club, East Mains, managerial recruitment etc

Emerald
27-07-2013, 05:58 PM
Name the last Good Hibs manager that was appointed, getting someone on the board who has a bloody clue would be a start, im not talking about someone getting involved in identifying signings or talking tactics.. But someone who can direct the football side of the club, East Mains, managerial recruitment etc

As I said, I don't see the point and its not for me. No further opinion on DOF for me but wouldn't like Collins back as manager which as some have pointed out was not the question asked.

Makaveli
27-07-2013, 06:00 PM
Just an observation but he does like a quit, doesn't he?

His position at Livi was fatally undermined (sound familiar?) and he didn't want to continue working with a board who had treated his friend and colleague so shabbily.

Emerald
27-07-2013, 06:01 PM
His position at Livi was fatally undermined (sound familiar?) and he didn't want to continue working with a board who had treated his friend and colleague so shabbily.

Poor wee soul :rolleyes:

The Falcon
27-07-2013, 06:03 PM

Riggghhhtttt.....................

Makaveli
27-07-2013, 06:03 PM
Poor wee soul :rolleyes:

:troll:

Riggghhhtttt.....................

They let him appoint a manager then sacked that manager without his agreement. Is that not being undermined?

blackpoolhibs
27-07-2013, 06:04 PM

I don't think football management is right for Collins, especially at the low level Scotland has become.

He'd be better waiting for a big job in England, where they have pots of cash and the chairmen let them get on with things. Oh and also the players all buy into his methods 100%.

Should be one along very soon to snap him up.............................

Leith Green
27-07-2013, 06:05 PM
As I said, I don't see the point and its not for me. No further opinion on DOF for me but wouldn't like Collins back as manager which as some have pointed out was not the question asked.

I wouldnt touch Collins with a barge pole for any role Hibs, had some decent ideas but not a scooby on how to implement them..

The Falcon
27-07-2013, 06:06 PM

They let him appoint a manager then sacked that manager without his agreement. Is that not being undermined?

Did he appoint the manager without telling the board?

Fatally he also appointed his mate.

blackpoolhibs
27-07-2013, 06:07 PM
Maybe we could pair Collins up with Keegan, when one walks off in the huff, we could get another 6 months out the other?

Emerald
27-07-2013, 06:07 PM

So the point of DOF is? The board run the club and the manager runs the team. That's why they undermined him because there was no point in him actually being there. It did allow him to quit again though?

Greendub
27-07-2013, 06:08 PM
IMO, if we wanna shake up, I think we need someone dutch, manager and DoF (if we really need that)

Not only to try and get us playing the way we the fans want, but also to look a bit further a feild for signings.

This is my opinion of course, some of you may not agree.

Kaiser1962
27-07-2013, 06:12 PM
IMO, if we wanna shake up, I think we need someone dutch, manager and DoF (if we really need that)

Not only to try and get us playing the way we the fans want, but also to look a bit further a feild for signings.

This is my opinion of course, some of you may not agree.

DoF role is very much a continental thing that, for one reason or another, has never really worked successfully in the UK, not only in Scotland.

thebakerboy
27-07-2013, 06:12 PM
Have said before and recently on another thread that Petrie should not be making football decisions , and suggested that a panel should be employed to source a new manager or future manager. I think that Pat Stanton , Pat Nevin and someone possibly without a Hibs bias should be asked to prepare the scene to recruit any future manager but starting now not when the vacancy arises. This should be done , not to undermine the current manager but to prepare in advance for when we have to recruit a new manager which will happen sooner or later and should always be ongoing. And when required they should do all the interviewing and negotiating within a budget set by the Board who should not have anything to do with football matters. Feel that this would work better than a DOF because they could work outside the structure at the Club on a Freelance basis.

Leith Green
27-07-2013, 06:13 PM
So the point of DOF is? The board run the club and the manager runs the team. That's why they undermined him because there was no point in him actually being there. It did allow him to quit again though?

The point is that they ensure the football side of the club is being run properly, nobody on our board currently had a clue about football...

Emerald
27-07-2013, 06:15 PM
The point is that they ensure the football side of the club is being run properly, nobody on our board currently had a clue about football...
So get a new board that do. Why waste a wage on a DOF?

Makaveli
27-07-2013, 06:15 PM

In that case you'd have to ask the Livi board why they a) appointed him in the first place and b) didn't block his appointment of Evans.

Agree with others' point that DOFs don't tend to work here, probably because our idea of a manager is quite different from the continental role of head coach. See the mess at Newcastle.

blackpoolhibs
27-07-2013, 06:17 PM
In that case you'd have to ask the Livi board why they a) appointed him in the first place and b) didn't block his appointment of Evans.

Agree with others' point that DOFs don't tend to work here, probably because our idea of a manager is quite different from the continental role of head coach. See the mess at Newcastle.

Maybe this could work if a foreign manager who was used to this way of working was appointed?

Emerald
27-07-2013, 06:18 PM
]In that case you'd have to ask the Livi board why they a) appointed him in the first place and b) didn't block his appointment of Evans.
[/B]

Just guessing but I would imagine they thought it was a good idea at the time and once they set it up changed their mind and went over his head :dunno:

cabbageandribs1875
27-07-2013, 06:20 PM
i've never liked the idea of a DoF for us, it's an extra salary, it's ok for big teams like Barcelona, Real Madrd, Man yoo, Hertz etc etc etc, but NAH

oh and p.s. and no to gareth evans as well, a likeable guy, but NAH

Makaveli
27-07-2013, 06:24 PM
Maybe this could work if a foreign manager who was used to this way of working was appointed?

I think you're right, particularly if they came in as a team. But then we might face the problem of unreceptive players not being used to that kind of management culture.

Leith Green
27-07-2013, 06:25 PM
So get a new board that do. Why waste a wage on a DOF?

I may be being thick here, but wouldnt the director of football be part of the board? Surely thats the point, someone at board level who is there purely for football matters..

The Falcon
27-07-2013, 06:25 PM

I think it would have to be thus but we all would need to think differently, including us.

The Falcon
27-07-2013, 06:27 PM
I think you're right, particularly if they came in as a team. But then we might face the problem of unreceptive players not being used to that kind of management culture.

Which is what JC and Yogi sold to Livi.

Emerald
27-07-2013, 06:28 PM
I may be being thick here, but wouldnt the director of football be part of the board? Surely thats the point, someone at board level who is there purely for football matters..
That is correct but we don't need extra board members just board members who know a thing about football. We can only afford two folk
to sell tickets for big games and can't afford to stock our new shop properly, there is no chance we would pay extra big wages on a DOF, it won't happen.

Bad Martini
27-07-2013, 06:29 PM
He won that cup using the players Mowbray had brought to the club

Yep.

To be fair, Mowbray couldn't win the cup with his OWN players. Thankful Collins managed it... Indeed, Mowbray won nothing TANGIBLE (and he had Riordan, Brown, Thompson and O'Connor minus the transfer requests and pish)

Makaveli
27-07-2013, 06:30 PM
Which is what JC and Yogi sold to Livi.

Aye, and it worked to the extent that Hughes left for a much bigger club.

Andy74
27-07-2013, 06:31 PM

So 7th is acceptable now?

Leith Green
27-07-2013, 06:32 PM
That is correct but we don't need extra board members just board members who know a thing about football. We can only afford two folk
to sell tickets for big games and can't afford to stock our new shop properly, there is no chance we would pay extra big wages on a DOF, it won't happen.

Yet we can afford to keep paying off managers and funding clearout after clearout???

Emerald
27-07-2013, 06:34 PM
Yet we can afford to keep paying off managers and funding clearout after clearout???

No we can't afford that but unless we sign a good manager then we have to keep doing it. Maybe a director of football would help get the right man in :greengrin, I'm out!

jeffers
27-07-2013, 06:36 PM
Do people honestly think our board know nothing about football ? And even if they did would it really matter ? Isn't it the job of the manager and his coaches/scouts to know about football ? Something definitely goes badly wrong when it comes to appointing managers, but do Motherwell, Dundee Utd or St Johnstone have board members who know so much more about football than our board ?

Leith Green
27-07-2013, 06:40 PM
Do people honestly think our board know nothing about football ? And even if they did would it really matter ? Isn't it the job of the manager and his coaches/scouts to know about football ? Something definitely goes badly wrong when it comes to appointing managers, but do Motherwell, Dundee Utd or St Johnstone have board members who know so much more about football than our board ?

They clearly know nothing.. You are right it is the managers job to know about football... Who do you think appoints the managers??

Hainan Hibs
27-07-2013, 06:42 PM
It always surprises me the absolute guff thrown at the last man to win us anything while people have a tom shank over judas characters like Thomshun.

jeffers
27-07-2013, 06:49 PM
They clearly know nothing.. You are right it is the managers job to know about football... Who do you think appoints the managers??

I've already said we get it wrong when appointing managers and while I'm not defending the board (well let's be honest Petrie) I don't believe these failures are down to a lack of football knowledge. I'd argue that his length of time with Hibs and role with the SFA he probably knows more about football than most posters on this board (I include myself in that.)

Eyrie
27-07-2013, 06:53 PM
I'd consider that any DoF role could only work if thought of as being a Director of Football Strategy role.

They'd be responsible for setting the tone of the club and ensuring that we have a consistent style of play from the youngest kids through to the u20s, and for checking that managerial candidates have the same approach. They'd be in overall charge of scouting, from spotting kids to part time scouts taking in games in other countries so that a detailed library of players is built up. And they'd also be monitoring who the bright prospects are in coaching so that we already have targets in mind when our manager moves on (preferably because another club is buying out his contract).

It would be made clear to all concerned that the DoFS has no involvement with the first team squad. The manager should check our library of players when looking for targets, but wouldn't be restricted to that list and could have his own scouting network also looking at players, although that information would have to be shared with the DoFS. The manager would have sole discretion over when to call a player up from the u20s, he'd be responsible for selecting the team from the first team squad that he has assembled, and responsible for the tactics used. Of course, we'd only appoint someone who shares our football style.

So it could be made to work if there is clear demarcation which gives the DoFS a long term strategic role and the manager is then free to concentrate on the first team.

Leith Green
27-07-2013, 06:55 PM
I've already said we get it wrong when appointing managers and while I'm not defending the board (well let's be honest Petrie) I don't believe these failures are down to a lack of football knowledge. I'd argue that his length of time with Hibs and role with the SFA he probably knows more about football than most posters on this board (I include myself in that.)

Petries game is simple, to ensure that the club are financially sound. He doesnt understand the foitball side, success on the park would be a bonus to Petrie..

jeffers
27-07-2013, 06:59 PM
Petries game is simple, to ensure that the club are financially sound. He doesnt understand the foitball side, success on the park would be a bonus to Petrie..
I think he understands the football side of things well enough, I just don't think it is as important to him as the financial side of things is.

Danderhall Hibs
27-07-2013, 07:01 PM
Anyone else heard we already have a DOF in place - he's working incognito apparently.

Greendub
27-07-2013, 07:02 PM
Petrie's signing of Fenlon has IMO got to have a money based thing going on.

Pat can't have been paid that much by bohemians. We have spent good on the team this pre-season, perhaps it's time to spend a little more on a decent manager.

Yuillsy
27-07-2013, 07:25 PM

I know what you're saying BH and I doubt Collins signings would've won anything had he stuck around. It annoys me though when people go on about Mowbrays players. Collins still had a quarter final, semi final and final to win. St J ran us close in 90 mins of the semi but Hearts (1-0 going on 10) and obviously Killie were comprehensively beaten.
It could be argued that Mowbray signed a couple of good players but got lucky with players Williamson blooded.

Greendub
27-07-2013, 07:35 PM
DoF role is very much a continental thing that, for one reason or another, has never really worked successfully in the UK, not only in Scotland.

Maybe its time we tried to make it work, the EPL is ok because they can spend millions on players, we can't, but the english national side is pish.

continental sides seem to be way ahead of us in not only player development but on a national scale too.

HibbySpurs
27-07-2013, 08:01 PM
I'm really coming round to the idea of a DoF.

I would want someone who was a football man, either a proven manager or top class player in his time, a shrewd person who gets what it means to be a winner and how to install that and lastly a man who knows hibs/ Scottish football

My short list would be:

Pat Nevin
Pat Stanton
Murdo McLeod
Jackie McNamara
JohnCollins

Or (I thought someone else might have said this):

Frank Sauzee

Expecting Rain
27-07-2013, 08:13 PM
He walked out on Hibs the day before we officially opened East Mains moaning about not being able to sign Naismith and Robson and the unprofessional attitude of the same players that Mowbray seem to manage well.
He`s done nothing since and his stance was about saving his ego, intentionally or unintentionally.....he`s not been offered another job since, we are Hibs not John Collins, great player..............move on!

Hero76
27-07-2013, 09:49 PM
Why the JC love in he won the cup with Mowbry's team the same team that couldn't beat Dunfie over 180 mins the following week.

jdships
27-07-2013, 09:58 PM
He walked out on Hibs the day before we officially opened East Mains moaning about not being able to sign Naismith and Robson and the unprofessional attitude of the same players that Mowbray seem to manage well.
He`s done nothing since and his stance was about saving his ego, intentionally or unintentionally.....he`s not been offered another job since, we are Hibs not John Collins, great player..............move on!

:top marks :agree: totally !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Winston Ingram
27-07-2013, 10:06 PM
Never understood the Collins love in. Any tactical nouse he had was gazumped by his eye for a *****e player, arrogance & nil man management skills.

BH Hibs
27-07-2013, 10:12 PM
I'm really coming round to the idea of a DoF.

I would want someone who was a football man, either a proven manager or top class player in his time, a shrewd person who gets what it means to be a winner and how to install that and lastly a man who knows hibs/ Scottish football

My short list would be:

Pat Nevin
Pat Stanton
Murdo McLeod
Jackie McNamara
JohnCollins

Or (I thought someone else might have said this):

Frank Sauzee

Everyone of these guys has failed at a coaching or managerial post with the possible exception of JC If I'm being kind. Why waste a wage on a DOF just pay the money for the right man to
fill the manager's post

Eyrie
27-07-2013, 10:23 PM
Given Collins' shrewd judgement of players, what makes anyone think that he'd be a good judge of a potential manager?

IberianHibernian
27-07-2013, 10:52 PM
Given Collins' shrewd judgement of players, what makes anyone think that he'd be a good judge of a potential manager?

Director of Football is much more than choosing new managers . Also involved in signing new players and liassing with scouts etc . We had one back in 1998 ( Billy McNeill ) but for some reason got rid of him quickly and haven`t appointed anyone else since . Can`t remember how long Hibs net has been going but I`ve suggested having a D of F several times since hibs.net started . Would have 2 choices - part - time post for elderly contact for someone who`d probably have Hibs connection and managerial experience - John Blackley ? or pay a very high salary for experienced candidate who has lots of experience and contacts in rest of world - Bruce Rioch ? , Brian Kerr ( ex Ireland boss ) ? , Laurie Sánchez , ..

Eyrie
28-07-2013, 09:16 AM
Director of Football is much more than choosing new managers . Also involved in signing new players and liassing with scouts etc .
That makes an even more convincing argument against Collins.

We had one back in 1998 ( Billy McNeill ) but for some reason got rid of him quickly and haven`t appointed anyone else since . Can`t remember how long Hibs net has been going but I`ve suggested having a D of F several times since hibs.net started . Would have 2 choices - part - time post for elderly contact for someone who`d probably have Hibs connection and managerial experience - John Blackley ? or pay a very high salary for experienced candidate who has lots of experience and contacts in rest of world - Bruce Rioch ? , Brian Kerr ( ex Ireland boss ) ? , Laurie Sánchez , ..
I'd go for the second option which fits better with how I see the role being defined. The experience is both a benefit for the role and likely to mean that the DoF does not harbour managerial ambitions, which could lead to conflict with the manager.

John Park would be an excellent candidate if we could get him back from Septic.

Sanger
28-07-2013, 09:33 AM

JC is a poor manager just look at his record of signings results at Hibs, The Belgian club and Livi.