PDA

View Full Version : Hibs Catch 22

Jack
27-07-2013, 08:50 AM
No doubt as a business model for running a football club Hibs have it right. The quality press, if there is such a thing, have said so.

We have fixed assets (ER and EM) both modern and of good quality to make us the envy of clubs, our size, probably well beyond our borders.

The other night showed there are enough supporters to fill, overfil, our part of our magnificent stadium. The support is there, more of it will be there IF we can be successful.

Going back to John Collins 5 managers with decent references and pedigrees can't have got it so horribly wrong.

The only reason I can see for our predicament then is the players. I don't mean that for who they are but what they are. They're just not good enough to wear the green.

For the first time I looked at the Malmo squad this morning. A squad worth twice ours with 6 £1m+ players in it* about £15m in total. That should be achievable by us. But its neither wonder they rolled us over midway through their season.

So there's our Catch 22. We cannot invest in better players because we cannot attract enough support. The support won't come unless we play attractive, winning football.

So. IMO its not about who owns our club; or runs our club or even who manages our squad its our current inability to buy/employ quality players.

So if any of you guys can sort that one out the rest of us will be eternally grateful.

* Based on http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk which a lot of folk disagree with with but with the values being calculated the same for both clubs its as good as your likely to get!

snooky
27-07-2013, 08:53 AM
No doubt as a business model for running a football club Hibs have it right. The quality press, if there is such a thing, have said so.

We have fixed assets (ER and EM) both modern and of good quality to make us the envy of clubs, our size, probably well beyond our borders.

The other night showed there are enough supporters to fill, overfil, our part of our magnificent stadium. The support is there, more of it will be there IF we can be successful.

Going back to John Collins 5 managers with decent references and pedigrees can't have got it so horribly wrong.

The only reason I can see for our predicament then is the players. I don't mean that for who they are but what they are. They're just not good enough to wear the green.

For the first time I looked at the Malmo squad this morning. A squad worth twice ours with 6 £1m+ players in it* about £15m in total. That should be achievable by us. But its neither wonder they rolled us over midway through their season.

So there's our Catch 22. We cannot invest in better players because we cannot attract enough support. The support won't come unless we play attractive, winning football.

So. IMO its not about who owns our club; or runs our club or even who manages our squad its our current inability to buy quality players.

So if any of you guys can sort that one out the rest of us will be eternally grateful.

* Based on from http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk which a lot of folk disagree with with but with the values being calculated the same for both clubs its as good as your likely to get!

Hibs Catch 22? We couldnae catch 11 on Thursday :stirrer:

To answer your question, a good manager will get the best out of a player and team by playing to their strengths. IMO, recent previous managers have persisted in playing both players and team to their weaknesses (generally speaking).
e.g. Ivan in left m/f, LS at RB, McCann at C/H, - where do you want me to stop?
Re. tactics - one up front at home (even against lesser opposition). That's only one better than Potter's coup de gras of nobody up front.

bobbyhibs1983
27-07-2013, 09:29 AM
I tihnk half the problem with hibs/managers is they are not usuiing em's properly.
Need i say most of us whilst we were kids(and maybe teens and nowadays) would have wanted to be footballers at some stage and what not.Im sure most of us were prob below average players.

What am i going on about you may ask?
well i think we have some players like that at hibs.BUT what if you had the chance to train 5 days a week at something that is excellent?(east mains)

would you not inprove?
i dont think you d become world class or anything but you d improve, fitness, passing, movement , something.
we have had east mains for a good few years in that time have any of our players improved that much?
how many time have you read the players lacked fitness? movement?

So its comes down to A. a manager not knowing how to train players or B, the players not wanting to inprove or C a mix of both?

HUTCHYHIBBY
27-07-2013, 09:31 AM
What the Joseph Heller is this thread all about?

spike220
27-07-2013, 09:49 AM
What the Joseph Heller is this thread all about? Don't let the fact that you don't know what the thread is about discourage you from posting. As long as your post has some vague connection with at least one post you find it will fit right in.