PDA

View Full Version : SOS Gary Deegan

spike220
26-07-2013, 11:49 PM
Gary could have made a difference, he is tough player and instils confidence in others. He does not allow players to waltz past him, they might try it once they wont do it a 2nd time, he brings real grit to the team. We will miss him. At the moment we have a fragile McPake as our enforcer and it isn't enough, still this new striker looks like he is not scared to put it around a bit. But I miss Gary, he didn't let other take the Pi$$ and showed more loyalty to the shirt than those shower this week. We will miss you Gary!!!

The_Horde
27-07-2013, 03:38 AM
Seriously? Gary Deegan is *****

Stonewall
27-07-2013, 04:25 AM
Gary could have made a difference, he is tough player and instils confidence in others. He does not allow players to waltz past him, they might try it once they wont do it a 2nd time, he brings real grit to the team. We will miss him. At the moment we have a fragile McPake as our enforcer and it isn't enough, still this new striker looks like he is not scared to put it around a bit. But I miss Gary, he didn't let other take the Pi$$ and showed more loyalty to the shirt than those shower this week. We will miss you Gary!!!

My nephew is a Coventry fan and when I asked him about Deegan last year his comment was "he's not very good".

Borderhibbie76
27-07-2013, 05:53 AM
Oh dear....seriously????

Ritchie
27-07-2013, 05:57 AM
Marty jack SOS

adhibs
27-07-2013, 06:04 AM
Oh dear....seriously????

Haha that was my first thought as well. Good laugh to start the day though

Broken Gnome
27-07-2013, 06:10 AM
Decent plan. How to stop the sideways and five-yard backward passes? Go ten yards back instead.

SquashedFrogg
27-07-2013, 06:29 AM
Oh dear....seriously????

How many tackles did we make in midfield on wed?

brianmc
27-07-2013, 06:45 AM
The midfield was overrun by the Swedes breaking forward at pace. Anybody who thinks that "Lead Boots"Deegan would have got anywhere near them to even attempt a tackle can't possibly have ever seen him play.

lucky
27-07-2013, 07:23 AM

GD is awful, end off. FFS Hibs need pace not a tortoise

Broken Gnome
27-07-2013, 07:28 AM
How many tackles did we make in midfield on wed?

Thomson and Taiwo both got booked. I'd hazard a guess they matched any contribution Deegan would have made.

NORTHERNHIBBY
27-07-2013, 07:45 AM
Deegan would have picked up two bookings if he had played.

KeithTheHibby
27-07-2013, 08:26 AM
Give me Claros over Deegan any day of the week. It won't happen anyway as Fenlon has *****ed his budget on his midfield anyway.

spike220
27-07-2013, 08:31 AM
Oh dear....seriously???? Look at the evidence. Deegan was not part of any of those three disgraceful matches in our recent history. He was part of us beating Celtis though and shackled their midfield, he kept Wanyama in a box for the whole game. I have watched the games Deegan has played and is tough, he doesn't let players run at him or through the midfield unchallenged, his touch is not great and his passing is okay at best, but he brought real grit to the team and fired the boys up. I think a lot our own players have been scared lately. You could never accuse Deegan of being scared. We need to be difficult to break down and awkward to play against Deegan gave us that in spades.

ivan03
27-07-2013, 09:01 AM
Look at the evidence. Deegan was not part of any of those three disgraceful matches in our recent history. He was part of us beating Celtis though and shackled their midfield, he kept Wanyama in a box for the whole game. I have watched the games Deegan has played and is tough, he doesn't let players run at him or through the midfield unchallenged, his touch is not great and his passing is okay at best, but he brought real grit to the team and fired the boys up. I think a lot our own players have been scared lately. You could never accuse Deegan of being scared. We need to be difficult to break down and awkward to play against Deegan gave us that in spades.

I agree 100%. i reckon after his injury he wasn't too happy up here and believed to have wanted a move back down south. But yeah, if the ball got past him, the player didn't, he was hard in the tackle which got the other boys up for it more aswell. Always remember his debut at ER against the hearts and a half fit Gary Deegan BOSSED IT. Temps began to get a bit of freedom which is when hearts can cause damage.. BOOM Gary leathers him, takes the booking, but templeton wasnt seen again after that! I was a Deegan fan i have to say!

H18Y GW
27-07-2013, 09:10 AM
I agree 100%. i reckon after his injury he wasn't too happy up here and believed to have wanted a move back down south. But yeah, if the ball got past him, the player didn't, he was hard in the tackle which got the other boys up for it more aswell. Always remember his debut at ER against the hearts and a half fit Gary Deegan BOSSED IT. Temps began to get a bit of freedom which is when hearts can cause damage.. BOOM Gary leathers him, takes the booking, but templeton wasnt seen again after that! I was a Deegan fan i have to say!

The fact that there are worse players still here says it all,my mate stays next door to him in Newtongrange and he has told me it was totally personal with the Tactical genius...

Not a great fan of his,although maybe not the best but totally commited when playing,that puts him in front of the starting 11 from Thursday.

1875HFC
27-07-2013, 09:48 AM
scary is this view of Gary Deegan is genuine. One of the most frustrating players to watch at ER for a while. His sideways passes and playing the ball backwards rather than driving forwards is unfortunately something that has rubbed off on the rest of the team that played with him and still play today

Green Fish
27-07-2013, 10:00 AM
No way, GD summed up what was wrong last year.

KT thinks he can walk through games, he, more than anyone disappointed me on Thursday. He is the most senior player, played at a higher level and he was dire. He was completely bossed and showed no leadership to the young players. For the first time I saw Danny Handling show some grit and initiative.

If Claros is not return then we have to look to the new guys, OTJ and Craig to take hold of the mf along with Robertson with Stanton and Horribine being introduced.

SquashedFrogg
27-07-2013, 10:00 AM
Deegan would have picked up two bookings if he had played.

Possibly, but he'd still have put a tackle in...

The only difference between the 10 outfield players and me on Thursday is that I paid £15 to watch Malmo tear us apart...

spike220
27-07-2013, 10:11 AM
Possibly, but he'd still have put a tackle in...

The only difference between the 10 outfield players and me on Thursday is that I paid £15 to watch Malmo tear us apart...
Aye your right, 11 random punters could have got lashed 0-7. In fact a few fans would have mixed it up a bit more and given the fans something to cheer.

PISTOL1875
27-07-2013, 11:35 AM

You are spot on mate , 100% on the nose there.. Players were clattered if they tried to run the games against us. We have been missing a player who can out the boot in when needed and he filled that role.. His passing was't the best but Claros done all that type of thing.. Another poster made the point about Templeton in the derby and casting my mind back , he is bang on..

PISTOL1875
27-07-2013, 11:37 AM
The fact that there are worse players still here says it all,my mate stays next door to him in Newtongrange and he has told me it was totally personal with the Tactical genius...

Not a great fan of his,although maybe not the best but totally commited when playing,that puts him in front of the starting 11 from Thursday.

What does that mean exactly ??

Jones28
27-07-2013, 12:45 PM
Deegan would have been sent off in the first half. He was a good mid-field enforcer (especially prior to his assualt on GS) but not against a team of that quality. I struggle to see any player we have had in the past 4 years make a difference against them - I include Leigh Griffiths in that. All we did was play high/switch passes which the CB's dealt with 99% of the time.

spike220
27-07-2013, 12:55 PM
Deegan would have been sent off in the first half. He was a good mid-field enforcer (especially prior to his assualt on GS) but not against a team of that quality. I struggle to see any player we have had in the past 4 years make a difference against them - I include Leigh Griffiths in that. All we did was play high/switch passes which the CB's dealt with 99% of the time. I disagree I see them at the same level (at best) as Celtic, a good performance would have see as competitive against Malmo. We didn't play much in the first leg and lost 2-0. I don't accept that, in fact I would go so far to say that we would beat them on our day and that is what makes this result unforgiveable. Malmo are not European giants, yes they are a quality outfit but lets not build them to something they are not.

Big Ed
27-07-2013, 01:03 PM
I disagree I see them at the same level (at best) as Celtic, a good performance would have see as competitive against Malmo. We didn't play much in the first leg and lost 2-0. I don't accept that, in fact I would go so far to say that we would beat them on our day and that is what makes this result unforgiveable. Malmo are not European giants, yes they are a quality outfit but lets not build them to something they are not.

Can I suggest you re-read BrianMc's post (No. 9) for diagnosis and explanation as to why Gary Deegan would have been hopelessly exposed by Malmo on Thursday.

spike220
27-07-2013, 01:21 PM
Can I suggest you re-read BrianMc's post (No. 9) for diagnosis and explanation as to why Gary Deegan would have been hopelessly exposed by Malmo on Thursday. Lets not pretend Deegan would single handed stop them. However he does put doubt into the mind of the opposition and leads by example, he encourages the players around him to respond and demands 100%. We sorely missed McPake since he has been struggling with injury and imho the GK should not provide the leadership of the team, it needs to present throughout the spine of the team. Deegan gives us grit and would have at least provided some resistance, I saw little of that. Like I said before Deegan has not been involved in any of the recent shambles (is it just a coincidence, I think not). He bring leadership, and determination, and a bit of pride to the shirt and I thought all these could be improved based based on the mockery of shambles we all saw on Thursday night.

blackpoolhibs
27-07-2013, 02:12 PM
Typical british/Scottish mentality, sod playing with skill technique and pace, lets just clatter them. :rolleyes:

Jones28
27-07-2013, 02:36 PM
I disagree I see them at the same level (at best) as Celtic, a good performance would have see as competitive against Malmo. We didn't play much in the first leg and lost 2-0. I don't accept that, in fact I would go so far to say that we would beat them on our day and that is what makes this result unforgiveable. Malmo are not European giants, yes they are a quality outfit but lets not build them to something they are not.

The pace in that team alone was enough to kill us off. How would Gary Deegan help against pace? They aren't European giants, nobody is saying they are. However they are miles ahead of us, and indeed every team in Scotland bar possibly Celtic. If they were in the SPL they would win it at a canter.

Dashing Bob S
27-07-2013, 02:41 PM
Give me Claros over Deegan any day of the week. It won't happen anyway as Fenlon has *****ed his budget on his midfield anyway.

Davros (Dalek boss) would have done better than the personnel we deployed Thursday night.

Jonnyboy
27-07-2013, 04:05 PM
Davros (Dalek boss) would have done better than the personnel we deployed Thursday night.

MHHM's nickname for Dougie Cromb in years gone by.

Sorry, just thought I'd throw that into the mix :greengrin

As for Deegan. No thanks

SurferRosa
27-07-2013, 04:23 PM
Typical british/Scottish mentality, sod playing with skill technique and pace, lets just clatter them. :rolleyes:

:agree: This.

I dont remember Malmo deploying a midfield " enforcer " to scare the crap out of our team or for this being the reason they rammed seven goals past us....

As they didn`t have a " hard man " to spend his time on the field kicking opponents.........i wonder how they could possibly have won? :confused:

Here`s a theory................maybe they horsed us out of sight because they had pace, ability and a set of players and a manager who knew what they were doing.
Maybe they didn`t need to boot the **** out of us to win the game........:coffee:

marinello59
27-07-2013, 04:27 PM
:agree: This.

I dont remember Malmo deploying a midfield " enforcer " to scare the crap out of our team or for this being the reason they rammed seven goals past us....

As they didn`t have a " hard man " to spend his time on the field kicking opponents.........i wonder how they could possibly have won? :confused:

Here`s a theory................maybe they horsed us out of sight because they had pace, ability and a set of players and a manager who knew what they were doing.
Maybe they didn`t need to boot the **** out of us to win the game........:coffee:

:top marks