PDA

View Full Version : Europa League/Intertoto

patlowe
26-07-2013, 12:29 PM
Does anyone else think it's bizarre that a qualifying process that used to be unwanted and vilified is now celebrated as European qualification? We now feel like we have to compete and get excited about playing European games during July, when in the past nobody wanted to know. I was excited about the atmosphere yesterday and could see the potential for a special night but, total and utter humiliation aside, we were at a huge disadvantage from the start. IMO the rebranding of the Intertoto Cup as Europa League qualifiers has hindered Hibs and I think the club knows it's in a lose-lose situation when qualifying - at least the Intertoto could be shrugged off as a glorified friendly.

Unless I'm missing something and there was some difference in the old format which made it harder to progress/less attractive?

Spike Mandela
26-07-2013, 12:35 PM
Does anyone else think it's bizarre that a qualifying process that used to be unwanted and vilified is now celebrated as European qualification? We now feel like we have to compete and get excited about playing European games during July, when in the past nobody wanted to know. I was excited about the atmosphere yesterday and could see the potential for a special night but, total and utter humiliation aside, we were at a huge disadvantage from the start. IMO the rebranding of the Intertoto Cup as Europa League qualifiers has hindered Hibs and I think the club knows it's in a lose-lose situation when qualifying - at least the Intertoto could be shrugged off as a glorified friendly.

Unless I'm missing something and there was some difference in the old format which made it harder to progress/less attractive?

The money and excitement generated by TV and a trip to Swansea would have made it worthwhile. We were totally unprepared for this fixture and treated it as a pre season friendly then got what we deserved.

Future17
26-07-2013, 12:36 PM

The Intertoto Cup and the current format of Europa League qualifying share a small amount of similarity but, essentially, they are totally different things. The Intertoto created a massive amount of extra places in "European competition" over and above what is currently available. As we are all perfectly aware, the standard of opponent we have faced in the UEFA Cup and Europa League has been much much higher than in the Intertoto.

The only thing bizarre about the current system is that we don't have a league schedule that might improve our clubs' chances in the early rounds of the Europa League and Champions League.

Scouse Hibee
26-07-2013, 12:39 PM

St Johnstone coped with it.

steakbake
26-07-2013, 12:42 PM
We were totally unprepared for this fixture and treated it as a pre season friendly then got what we deserved.

...which is a bit of a mystery given we knew it was coming up and no doubt the club corporately has been making something out of being in a European competition.

Intertoto, Europa League, Wee Cup - whatever - HFC should be in the market for success and to actually win games and try to progress. It's a bit pitiful to write off any competition as an irrelevance. As international exposure goes, it's the only one we get a look in on every so
often. The club's goal should be aiming to be in it every year.

It's a bit insular and limited to just thing HFC exists for the SPFL and the occasional domestic cup run.

patlowe
26-07-2013, 12:42 PM

Of course they did, but the majority haven't.

HUTCHYHIBBY
26-07-2013, 12:43 PM
The away trips for these fixtures are one of the few things to look forward to as a Hibs fan, regardless of the outcome.

Crazyhorse
26-07-2013, 12:44 PM

Exactly. I don't think we can use any of the usual excuses for the most humiliating result in my lifetime of supporting Hibs.

patlowe
26-07-2013, 12:51 PM
I'm not saying we shouldn't take part and I tried to make clear that it wasn't about making excuses for the humiliating performance - St Johnstone went through - good on them. I'm suggesting that the abolition of the Intertoto Cup and the introduction of ever earlier qualifiers has harmed the chances and subsequently the reputation of Hibs, and Scottish clubs, in Europe. Hibs were clearly not enthusiastic about this fixture - I think they are aware it puts is in a vulnerable position and undermines the value of qualification.

Scouse Hibee
26-07-2013, 01:05 PM
I'm not saying we shouldn't take part and I tried to make clear that it wasn't about making excuses for the humiliating performance - St Johnstone went through - good on them. I'm suggesting that the abolition of the Intertoto Cup and the introduction of ever earlier qualifiers has harmed the chances and subsequently the reputation of Hibs, and Scottish clubs, in Europe. Hibs were clearly not enthusiastic about this fixture - I think they are aware it puts is in a vulnerable position and undermines the value of qualification.

Well if that's the case they should have told us beforehand and we wouldn't have bothered to turn up! How can professional footballers not be enthusiastic about pitting themselves against better opposition, if they can't get themselves up a for a European game no matter how early it is then they're a disgrace. This game wasn't dropped on us at the last minute, as for the value of qualification the losers of the cup final shouldn't get a place IMO.

patlowe
26-07-2013, 01:06 PM
Well if that's the case they should have told us beforehand and we wouldn't have bothered to turn up! How can professional footballers not be enthusiastic about pitting themselves against better opposition, if they can't get themselves up a for a European game no matter how early it is then they're a disgrace. This game wasn't dropped on us at the last minute, as for the value of qualification the losers of the cup final shouldn't get a place IMO.

100% agree.