PDA

View Full Version : Random Malmoans

Speedway
26-07-2013, 10:39 AM
After the witch hunt, a little bit (only a little) of common sense.

- Malmo are the best side I've ever seen at ER. They could p**s the SPL or SPFL or whatever.

- See the fans still there at the end of the game, they are representitive of the size of support Hibs can actually count on for income week in, week out and base the budgets on. Sorry boys, we're a small club with a small recurring support. Don't let the size of the stands fool you. McDiarmid park would be big enough for us most weeks.

- Scott Lindsay was looking conspicuous in his civvies and terrorist back pack in the west.

- Williams has largely escaped the wrath of the .net hoards despite being at fault for at least two of the goals.

- Whilst Mullen is young and can't defend, if you're looking for our first overlapping full back since Whittaker, there he is.

- McPake is where most of my blame lies for the collapse. I haven't seen that much diving in since I was last at a swimming gala. He's let the side down horribly after declaring himself fit, because none of the prep will have been done with the back four that played two thirds of the match.

- Forster, again I know we like to hate as many as we can, but this boy will turn out to be exceptional. Given he's a teenager with only single figure appearances for Hibs to his name, he's our best defender by a mile. I wish everyone had the look of fight and grit that he had as he got swamped by the Malmo attacks. He's not a pretty lad, but that's beside the point.

- Stevenson didn't show us anything we didn't already know.

- Harris found out what a game that's too big for him feels like.

- Thomson could not be arsed.

- Taiwo worked hard but was up against much better players and had no support from his mates.

- Craig was a major disappointment, offered us nothing at all. Poor display.

- Handling? See Harris.

- Vine, sorry boys, he's a non-league player. I've seen many of them and he's one. Not sure why we've gone for him.

And I've forgotten Hanlon which sums him up. Anonymous.

Now, for all the negativity, if you're still with me, I'm not advocating the sacking of Fenlon. Why not? I hear shouted by no-one.

Well two reasons:

1. Everyone in the game has suggested repeatedly that to turn a turd like Hibs around, a manager has to be given a minimum of 3 years as Levein was at the Arabs. He's had less than two so far but sack him and his team and you remove cash from yet another manager who the fans will want booted out after a couple of transfer windows. Fenlon may not be good enough and certainly isn't helping his stock to rise, but he ain't the problem.

Here's what everyone appears to be missing.

Hibernian is an underfunded business, carrying debt, in a poor footballing nation with a 'let's just not go bust' attitude at the top and with an increasing reputation for non-supportive support.

That is what is toxic.

Who here would want us to appoint Tommy Wright and sign the likes of Mannus? I wouldn't but that's because I keep making the mistake of thinking that we're a big club and having the expectations to match. We're not and we don't have ambitious ownership, so I keep getting let down when any intelligent person watching football as long as I have would know better.

It's not pretty, it's not enjoyable but as Collins, Mixu, Yogi and Calderclown have all shown, Hibs is where you come to get your reputation ruined so why do we think any other manager would suddenly change the wider issues?

Hibs7
26-07-2013, 10:43 AM

- Malmo are the best side I've ever seen at ER. They could p**s the SPL or SPFL or whatever.

- See the fans still there at the end of the game, they are representitive of the size of support Hibs can actually count on for income week in, week out and base the budgets on. Sorry boys, we're a small club with a small recurring support. Don't let the size of the stands fool you. McDiarmid park would be big enough for us most weeks.

- Scott Lindsay was looking conspicuous in his civvies and terrorist back pack in the west.

- Williams has largely escaped the wrath of the .net hoards despite being at fault for at least two of the goals.

- Whilst Mullen is young and can't defend, if you're looking for our first overlapping full back since Whittaker, there he is.

- McPake is where most of my blame lies for the collapse. I haven't seen that much diving in since I was last at a swimming gala. He's let the side down horribly after declaring himself fit, because none of the prep will have been done with the back four that played two thirds of the match.

- Forster, again I know we like to hate as many as we can, but this boy will turn out to be exceptional. Given he's a teenager with only single figure appearances for Hibs to his name, he's our best defender by a mile. I wish everyone had the look of fight and grit that he had as he got swamped by the Malmo attacks. He's not a pretty lad, but that's beside the point.

- Taiwo worked hard but was up against much better players and had no support from his mates.

- Handling? See Harris.

- Vine, sorry boys, he's a non-league player. I've seen many of them and he's one. Not sure why we've gone for him.

Now, for all the negativity, if you're still with me, I'm not advocating the sacking of Fenlon. Why not? I hear shouted by no-one.

Well two reasons:

1. Everyone in the game has suggested repeatedly that to turn a turd like Hibs around, a manager has to be given a minimum of 3 years as Levein was at the Arabs. He's had less than two so far but sack him and his team and you remove cash from yet another manager who the fans will want booted out after a couple of transfer windows. Fenlon may not be good enough and certainly isn't helping his stock to rise, but he ain't the problem.

Hibernian is an underfunded business, carrying debt, in a poor footballing nation with a 'let's just not go bust' attitude at the top and with an increasing reputation for non-supportive support.

That is what is toxic.

Who here would want us to appoint Tommy Wright and sign the likes of Mannus? I wouldn't but that's because I keep making the mistake of thinking that we're a big club and having the expectations to match. We're not and we don't have ambitious ownership, so I keep getting let down when any intelligent person watching football as long as I have would know better.

It's not pretty, it's not enjoyable but as Collins, Mixu, Yogi and Calderclown have all shown, Hibs is where you come to get your reputation ruined so why do we think any other manager would suddenly change the wider issues?

A lot of common sense in there ... Especially about changing the manager ... Craig needs to be played in the correct position and Vine is not a lone striker .. Never will be but will score goals .

Stevie Reid
26-07-2013, 10:44 AM

- Handling? See Harris.

Well two reasons:

That is what is toxic.

Good post, with numerous interesting points.

Only one I want to pick up on is Liam Craig - certainly not writing him off but I was really pleased when he signed and I didn't recognise him at all last night, took next to no responsibility given that he was one of our most experienced and creative players on show.

Hibbyradge

- Handling? See Harris.

Well two reasons:

That is what is toxic.

I thought Thomson looked good and i disagree with you about Vine.

Treadstone
1. Everyone in the game has suggested repeatedly that to turn a turd like Hibs around, a manager has to be given a minimum of 3 years as Levein was at the Arabs.

Let's not make up things to suit your point of view. Everyone.:faf:

Beefster
26-07-2013, 10:46 AM
You're right about Vine and wrong about how good Malmo are and about how Fenlon needs more time.

Hermit Crab
26-07-2013, 10:50 AM
Handling hasn't got it for me I'm afraid. Craig played out of position. Young Harris marked out the game. Vine crowded out. Thomson static. Stevenson just why is he at right back. Mcpake, see you.

Speedway
26-07-2013, 11:02 AM
Let's not make up things to suit your point of view. Everyone.:faf:

Allow me to clarify. 'Everyone' as in pundits who have been asked to comment of the Hibs Manager's 'hotseat'.

The club includes, Hughes, Collins, Strachan, Lexo (who didn't specify 3 years but rather, 'needs time'), Hendry, Booth, Bonner and that's all I can think of to be fair.

Treadstone
26-07-2013, 11:13 AM
Allow me to clarify. 'Everyone' as in pundits who have been asked to comment of the Hibs Manager's 'hotseat'.

The club includes, Hughes, Collins, Strachan, Lexo (who didn't specify 3 years but rather, 'needs time'), Hendry, Booth, Bonner and that's all I can think of to be fair.

Seven names and only one currently occupying a managerial position. I heard several people commenting that he would need at least two or three transfer windows. We are in the fourth window of his tenure and the team is his and that performance was as bad as anything seen at ER in the last four or five seasons and thats being kind.

Speedway
26-07-2013, 11:15 AM
You're right about Vine and wrong about how good Malmo are and about how Fenlon needs more time.

I'm right about Vine, right about how good Malmo are and I was quoting others regarding Fenlon. :greengrin

cabbageandribs1875
26-07-2013, 11:57 AM
i actually think vine was one of our better players last night, at least he showed a bit of urgency and wasn't afraid to chase the ball

Treadstone
26-07-2013, 11:58 AM
i actually think vine was one of our better players last night, at least he showed a bit of urgency and wasn't afraid to chase the ball

:agree: I remember him winning a header in the first half.

ps this is kind of a piss take and actually serious at the same time

cabbageandribs1875
26-07-2013, 11:59 AM
:agree: I remember him winning a header in the first half.

which is one header more than a couple of our defenders actually won :agree:

p.s. he also took his 'non-goal' very well :)

Speedway
26-07-2013, 12:02 PM

...which in he did in a way that made Kuqi look like Usain Bolt.

PeterboroHibee
26-07-2013, 12:04 PM
Handling hasn't got it for me I'm afraid. Craig played out of position. Young Harris marked out the game. Vine crowded out. Thomson static. Stevenson just why is he at right back. Mcpake, see you.

Agree with all of that, especially about Handling - I see lots of praise for him, and he does work hard, but I really dont understand his role and what he brings to the team.

StevesFamau5
26-07-2013, 12:06 PM
Thomson was not bad just at times the short passes and flick passes reminded me of school (played against him a bit) and it was the exact same only at school level that **** worked. Malmo however are not school level... That was my only criticism

bigwheel
26-07-2013, 12:07 PM

- Handling? See Harris.

Well two reasons:

That is what is toxic.

I agree with a lot of that Speedway...A few points I cant agree with.

Firstly, Malmo would walk the SPFL....they would come second to Celtic. They have some high quality players (centre forward, their captain), but nowhere near to strength in depth that Celtic have..They had a perfect night at the office - their other results show they are not world beaters

Secondly, Thomson comment is way off the mark...for a chunk of the game, he was the only quality contribution we had.

Some of your points are so right though - Harris for example - what a lesson he got last night...he will have learned a lot from that...

cabbageandribs1875
26-07-2013, 12:08 PM

it's his beard, the wind gets trapped in it and that will slow him down a little

Spike Mandela
26-07-2013, 12:11 PM
Reads like a manifesto for reasons not to bother going along to Easter Road. It's a wonder so many of us idiots do.

Hibercelona
26-07-2013, 12:15 PM
It's easy to say that Malmo would pish all over the SPFL after our own club has just been stuffed by them.

But I think it's a bit disrespectful to other clubs in the league that would have made a good game of it, even if they didn't manage to win.

Malmo are nowhere near as good as we made them look. And they won't have an easier game than that in Europe ever.

Big Frank
26-07-2013, 12:18 PM

Wow! Thats a statement. I've seen much much better. Before they scored their first last night, quite a few times they couldnt keep possession (without any pressure from our boys (coz they definately are a buch of wee boys) and they ball ended up going out. This team are nae great shakes and should get papped by an unfit Swansea. imho

- See the fans still there at the end of the game, they are representitive of the size of support Hibs can actually count on for income week in, week out and base the budgets on.

Agreed

Sorry boys, we're a small club with a small recurring support. Don't let the size of the stands fool you. McDiarmid park would be big enough for us most weeks.

Disagree. Put a proper team on the park (consistantly) and Hibernian are anything but a small club Speedway. If ever there was a sleeping giant its Hibernian. McDairmid park would be ok for us at present.... because we have beasically honked since the final whistle of the Laegue Cup Final in 2007.

Agreed.

Again, correct

Spot on with all points imo

Disagree with this, I think he was comfortably out best player in the first half. Thought he covered far more ground than anyone else in our "midfield"

Yep, thought TT was was very ineffective last night

- Handling? See Harris.

I agree on both points here

Spot on

He is very forgetable unfortunately. One excellant game every 10. One solid game every 6 or seven games.... otherwise he gets completely dominated all the time imo

Well two reasons:

This is true, and with the last 3 sackings of managers, this may be Paddys only grace, ie can Hibernian really go throught this circus of hiring and firing guff managers.... whats alarming seems to be the that this guy is out of his depth. However, his football is crap. His teams are crap to watch. They are just crap football teams. Bog standard hoofball. The defeat to the merricks in the cup final and the humiliating result from last night just tells me he MUST resign.

100% correct!

That is what is toxic.

Correct again. No ambitious ownership.

It's not pretty, it's not enjoyable but as Collins, Mixu, Yogi and Calderclown have all shown, Hibs is where you come to get your reputation ruined so why do we think any other manager would suddenly change the wider issues? :agree:

Great post Speedway :agree: I've put some of my thoughts in bold

Speedway
26-07-2013, 12:22 PM
I agree with a lot of that Speedway...A few points I cant agree with.

Firstly, Malmo would walk the SPFL....they would come second to Celtic. They have some high quality players (centre forward, their captain), but nowhere near to strength in depth that Celtic have..They had a perfect night at the office - their other results show they are not world beaters

Secondly, Thomson comment is way off the mark...for a chunk of the game, he was the only quality contribution we had.

Some of your points are so right though - Harris for example - what a lesson he got last night...he will have learned a lot from that...

Regarding Thomson, I posted that he couldn't be arsed, not that he isn't a quality player.

What I mean is that he is a senior player, one with champions league experience. He is supposedly at Hibs supporter too. I was looking to him to gee up the troops, get his arm around other players and basically carry out the work of a leader with a work rate that was faultless.

What I saw was a lot of standing around with hands on hips mingled with the odd tackle and pass.

In my view, that is not being arsed.

Alex Trager
26-07-2013, 12:23 PM

Got to say I disagree about vine. We've seen him what max five times and you think he's a pub team, or whatever you said, type player. I thought him and handling were ok last night, just outclassed. Some of their linkup was good. Jury is still out on both however.

As far as Harris is concerned I feel that people need to look to beef him up, quite a lot. Not saying get him fat, make him bigger. Obviously he is a young small lad but it can be done.
I feel he was too easily pushed off the ball.

Agree about Thompson. Looked as though he couldn't give a ****. Same with Craig.

I'm still lost for words to be honest

Hedlund12
26-07-2013, 01:02 PM
it's his beard, the wind gets trapped in it and that will slow him down a little

:faf:

Since90+2
26-07-2013, 01:53 PM
It was the exact same after Maribor people on here claiming they were world beaters and would walk the SPL ect ect

Malmo are a pretty decent team , no more than that. I would fancy Celtic to beat them over two legs.

Speedway
26-07-2013, 01:57 PM
It was the exact same after Maribor people on here claiming they were world beaters and would walk the SPL ect ect

Malmo are a pretty decent team , no more than that. I would fancy Celtic to beat them over two legs.

It does look a lot like last night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nsLfq3sDEA

Treadstone
26-07-2013, 01:58 PM

I think they would finish second in SPFL and closer to Celtic than Motherwell did.

If Motherwell beat us 0-7 at Easter Road though we would burn the place down and no one would blame us.

The Falcon
26-07-2013, 02:12 PM

Did Maribor not knock Old Rangers out at the preliminary stages?

Hermit Crab
26-07-2013, 02:20 PM
Agree with all of that, especially about Handling - I see lots of praise for him, and he does work hard, but I really dont understand his role and what he brings to the team.

He doesn't really do anything on the park. Maybe under the right guidance he'll do well in the team but under fenlons guise I think he's swimming against the ride is young Danny.

Hermit Crab
26-07-2013, 02:20 PM

Yes.

Stevie Reid
26-07-2013, 02:24 PM

:agree:

And, FWIW, Malmo knocked Rangers out of the CL qualifiers in 2011.

PeeJay
26-07-2013, 02:38 PM

Sorry have to disagree, Malmö are an OK team - nothing less, nothing more. Let's not forget they didn't exactly wipe the floor with that Irish team Drogheda, did they? A pacy, attacking team that knows what it is doing and Malmö would have problems; defensively they are no great shakes: granted too good for our "strikeforce". Your post doesn't convince me - it's plain to see: we got badly turned over by an OK team. It's because we are so bad, not because they were so good. Fenlon has to carry the can: he is clueless, subbing Taiwo was as clear an indication as any. You say Fenlon is not the problem, but he is responsible for 1-5 and now 0-7: he is a problem, not the only one, I'll grant you that. By the way, I've seen some great teams at ER, Malmö don't make the list (perhaps unfair as I'm going back a while). Hope you get to see better than this someday... Has Fenlon resigned yet?

s2hart
26-07-2013, 03:14 PM

The away leg against Maribor did we not play Nish on his own up front and leave Stokes and Riordan(at the time 2 of the best strikers in Scotland) on the bench?

Last night to me the defence looked the problem(lucky enough I didn't watch the game) Stevenson at right back, he's so left footed that he probably couldn't turn right, Hanlon who is a centre half always looked lost playing left back, McPake looks like his past is catching up with him & Forster is just a laddie but from what I've seen he looks a decent prospect and he should learn from the experience last night.

To me we were tactically naive in our last European adventures(if you can call them that)

But I agree , Celtic would probably beat them over 2 legs. Anyway I'm starting to ramble pish as the alcohol has kicked in and I'm off to bed now since its now the witching hour for me.

hibee_girl
26-07-2013, 03:19 PM
Regarding Thomson, I posted that he couldn't be arsed, not that he isn't a quality player.

What I mean is that he is a senior player, one with champions league experience. He is supposedly at Hibs supporter too. I was looking to him to gee up the troops, get his arm around other players and basically carry out the work of a leader with a work rate that was faultless.

What I saw was a lot of standing around with hands on hips mingled with the odd tackle and pass.

In my view, that is not being arsed.

If you watch it again (though why would we?!) you'll notice that their 2nd goal came about after Thomson couldn't be arsed to move for the ball. He stood static but if he'd just put a bit of effort in he'd have probably won the ball.

number 27
26-07-2013, 03:24 PM

If you watch it again (though why would we?!) you'll notice that their 2nd goal came about after Thomson couldn't be arsed to move for the ball. He stood static but if he'd just put a bit of effort in he'd have probably won the ball.

Thomson repeatedly sold us out in midfield. He was diving into challenges to take himself out the game because he was unwilling or unable to put the effort in to stay with the game and track back.

jax67
26-07-2013, 03:31 PM
The scene was set, huge crowd, a chance to impress
The fans who maybe haven't been along to ER in
A while. After that performance, we won't be seeing
A Sixteen thousand plus crowd for a long time. Don't get
me wrong, I didn't think we'd go through to play
Swansea. I wrongly thought we'd give them a game though.

HUTCHYHIBBY
26-07-2013, 03:36 PM
The scene was set, huge crowd, a chance to impress
The fans who maybe haven't been along to ER in
A while. After that performance, we won't be seeing
A Sixteen thousand plus crowd for a long time. Don't get
me wrong, I didn't think we'd go through to play
Swansea. I wrongly thought we'd give them a game though.

That doesnae even rhyme!

FastEddieFelson
26-07-2013, 03:52 PM
i agree with a lot of your points, but completely disagree with you on vine. extremely harsh to judge him on those two games. are you deliberately forgetting his finish last night for the offside goal?

blackpoolhibs
26-07-2013, 03:54 PM

Not the best side i have seen at Easter Road, but i do think they'd challenge Celtic for the League, maybe even win it?

I agree 100%, he's made some of the best saves i have seen a Hibs keeper make, but he's nothing special. I think some folk are going way overboard in their praise of this keeper.

I cant comment on him yet, thats my first view of the lad.

He's finished as a Hibs player in my opinion.

I have great hopes for him, although i said the same about Callum Booth.

As a senior player he was a waste of a jersey last night.

- Handling? See Harris.

I disagree about Vine, he's no Griffiths thats for sure, but i dont mind him as a replacement for Doyle.

yip

Well two reasons:

That is what is toxic.

We need a change of direction, we need to go foreign. :greengrin

MyJo
26-07-2013, 04:45 PM
i agree with a lot of your points, but completely disagree with you on vine. extremely harsh to judge him on those two games. are you deliberately forgetting his finish last night for the offside goal?

:agree: I actually thought Vine was one of the few players yesterday who made a positive contribution and put some effort in but he looked knackered after 45 minutes, was smothered (along with Handling) by a very good Malmo defence, had hee-haw support from midfield and had to chase punts up the park all night.

Dashing Bob S
26-07-2013, 04:48 PM
Agree with most of Speedway's thread except the opening comments about Malmo. Nothing special, made to look special, by the sluggish ineptitude highlighted in the subsequent points of the post which I'm in total accord with.

Malmo did nothing to a very poor Hibs team that Falkirk didn't do in the first half at Hampden, and make them look slow, disorganised and inept. The difference was that they were fitter and more professional, and didn't take their foot off the gas. I expect Swansea to eliminate them with relative ease.

I'm finding all this 'we ran up against a great team' stuff just self-defeating, delusional, nonsense. They are NOT a great team (any more than Maribor were). They are an adequate side of the type we regularly used to dispatch in Europe. We have to look to the reasons for the relative decline of Hibs as a football power, rather than find excuses for our mediocrity by inflating merely half-decent teams like Malmo into world-beaters.

Keith_M
26-07-2013, 04:49 PM
My biggest moan is the number of people that choose to quote Speedway's WHOLE post!

What's that aw aboot?

Hainan Hibs
26-07-2013, 04:56 PM
Malmo the best ever at ER :faf: .

Deary ****ing me, we got humiliated by a team that is more than likely going to get horsed out at the next round.

hibIBZ
26-07-2013, 05:06 PM
I don't understand the Thomson bashing thought he was our best midfielder on the night. Also not a huge fan of taiwo. He gives us energy and pace in midfield but for me doesn't impose himself on the game. Several games I watched last season I forgot he's was even playing at times. Him and Thomson both failed to track their runners just feel Thomson tried to do more on possession

YehButNoBut
26-07-2013, 05:19 PM
Sorry have to disagree, Malmö are an OK team - nothing less, nothing more. Let's not forget they didn't exactly wipe the floor with that Irish team Drogheda, did they? A pacy, attacking team that knows what it is doing and Malmö would have problems; defensively they are no great shakes: granted too good for our "strikeforce". Your post doesn't convince me - it's plain to see: we got badly turned over by an OK team. It's because we are so bad, not because they were so good. Fenlon has to carry the can: he is clueless, subbing Taiwo was as clear an indication as any. You say Fenlon is not the problem, but he is responsible for 1-5 and now 0-7: he is a problem, not the only one, I'll grant you that. By the way, I've seen some great teams at ER, Malmö don't make the list (perhaps unfair as I'm going back a while). Hope you get to see better than this someday... Has Fenlon resigned yet?

Agree with most of Speedway's thread except the opening comments about Malmo. Nothing special, made to look special, by the sluggish ineptitude highlighted in the subsequent points of the post which I'm in total accord with.

Malmo did nothing to a very poor Hibs team that Falkirk didn't do in the first half at Hampden, and make them look slow, disorganised and inept. The difference was that they were fitter and more professional, and didn't take their foot off the gas. I expect Swansea to eliminate them with relative ease.

I'm finding all this 'we ran up against a great team' stuff just self-defeating, delusional, nonsense. They are NOT a great team (any more than Maribor were). They are an adequate side of the type we regularly used to dispatch in Europe. We have to look to the reasons for the relative decline of Hibs as a football power, rather than find excuses for our mediocrity by inflating merely half-decent teams like Malmo into world-beaters.

When you look at Malmo's recent record in Europe it is just ok, we were not hammered by any European giants last night just a fairly decent side who we made look a lot better than they actually are. Doubt they would win the SPFL but would be a regular top 6 side.

Accept they may have improved this season but in season 11/12 they played HB Torshavn from the Faroes in CL qualifiers and only won 3-1 on agg (1-1 in Faroes).

In the Europa league in 11/12 they also dropped into the league stage of Europa League after beating Rangers & losing to Dinamo Zagreb and did not win a single game, their a good side but hardly world beaters.

A few weeks ago they beat Drogheda 2-0 on agg (0-0 in Ireland), Drogheda currently sit 8th in the Irish league, 22 points behind leaders St Patricks.

They finished 3rd in the Swedish league last season, 3 points behind winners Elfsborg, we can judge how strong that is after Celtic play them in the next round of the CL in the next 2 weeks.

They are, however, miles better than us.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malm%C3%B6_FF_in_European_football

since 1954
26-07-2013, 05:43 PM
Yes.

Malmo struggled to get past Drogheda and St Johnstone showed that Scottish clubs can compete in Europe. The fact is we have had a defence which is too easy to take to bits for several years. Think back to what Falkirk did to us in that semi last year. The players have changed: the one constant is the manager. Disagree with you about Vine and Thomson but Craig was a big disappointment as Tudor Jones was over there. Clancy and McGivern might have made a difference; but not much. Handling struggled badly in the first half but did lot better later in the game when the Swedes relaxed and gave as more time and room. Finally well done to the Malmo fans who never stopped for the 90 minutes.