PDA

View Full Version : Can someone who know about Swedish Football please shed some light on this?

spike220
25-07-2013, 11:46 PM
How much is the Malmo Squad worth? What do they pay their players?

Part/Time Supporter
26-07-2013, 05:23 AM
How much is the Malmo Squad worth? What do they pay their players?

Their turnover (income) in 2012 was 163.5 million Swedish Krona (about £16M). So they should have a player budget just over double that of Hibs.

They are a club that should beat Hibs more often than not, but that doesn't excuse what happened last night in any way.

spike220
26-07-2013, 05:25 AM
Their turnover (income) in 2012 was 163.5 million Swedish Krona (about £16M). So they should have a player budget just over double that of Hibs.

They are a club that should beat Hibs more often than not, but that doesn't excuse what happened last night in any way.

Thanks for that.

Pretty Boy
26-07-2013, 05:29 AM

I'm sure the radio said tonight that Rosenberg had a playing budget 18 times greater than St Johnstones.

I know that doesn't mean a lot but on the face of it that should have been a bigger gulf in quality than Hibs and Malmo if your figures are correct.

Part/Time Supporter
26-07-2013, 05:42 AM
I'm sure the radio said tonight that Rosenberg had a playing budget 18 times greater than St Johnstones.

I know that doesn't mean a lot but on the face of it that should have been a bigger gulf in quality than Hibs and Malmo if your figures are correct.

I suspect they might be comparing apples with oranges. St Johnstone will have a player budget of about £1M, whereas Rosenborg's turnover will be slightly bigger than Malmo. If Rosenborg had a player budget of £18M they would be paying players about the same as Celtic! Not 18 times difference, but still a very big gap.

Phil MaGlass
26-07-2013, 07:53 AM
That doesnt tell the whole story, Swedens standard of living is way way higher than that of Scotland, so wages are many times(or a few) times more than what we experience in Scotland. Im not a mathematician but I am sure someone could work out the standard of living stuff etc...

joe breezy
26-07-2013, 11:34 AM
It's an interesting subject as we sometimes resign ourselves to doom and gloom but why should Sweden or Norway clubs be able to generate better income than Hibs?

Is it because local TV deals are too poor or what?

Hibs should be as big as Malmo

Part/Time Supporter
26-07-2013, 12:45 PM
It's an interesting subject as we sometimes resign ourselves to doom and gloom but why should Sweden or Norway clubs be able to generate better income than Hibs?

Clubs in the richer European countries (particularly Germany) tend to generate a lot more income from corporate sources. I think this is the case because although you have local rivalries, even in quite large cities you only have one professional club. Therefore you don't have the effect of a sponsor being concerned that backing one will annoy fans of the other. I think this is a product of professionalism developing much later in some of these countries than in the UK.

steakbake
26-07-2013, 12:49 PM

A better run domestic competition.

Bad Martini
26-07-2013, 12:55 PM
I would suggest celtic would beat Malmo. Probably quite well if they made a full on attempt to do so. Consider their games against Barcelona.

I would suggest we have, on occasion, given celtic a game and when truly on fire, beaten them.

Why then did we fail fail and fail again to kick a ball last night ?? We didn't look close to being able to scrape a single thing out the game....

Someone, somewhere is to blame... Multiple people even. I don't give a toss. The fact is we are not to blame. That leaves the manager or the players or both. We have enough facilities and infrastructure to do better than nine nil on aggregate Malmo. IF WE HAD WANTED it enough.

HUTCHYHIBBY
26-07-2013, 12:56 PM

Essentially its because up until recently outwith 2 teams Scottish football is a massive non-event.

Deansy
26-07-2013, 01:07 PM

Yup - you can thank Messrs Reagan & Doncaster for that !!

http://saintinasia.wordpress.com/201...are-to-europe/ (http://saintinasia.wordpress.com/2012/07/06/the-sfaspl-tv-myth-how-we-compare-to-europe/)

"If we take the Doncaster/Regan figures of 3.5million Euros, our game would be undervalued at close to 39m Euro’s! "

lumbo_hfc
26-07-2013, 01:15 PM
Why then did we fail fail and fail again to kick a ball last night ?? We didn't look close to being able to scrape a single thing out the game....

Match fitness/sharpness (which makes it look like all our players have a caravan attached to their arse), far superior technical abilty of young swedes compared to scots, a pitch that is far too big and seems to benefit every team in that plays there except hibs!

Bad Martini
26-07-2013, 01:21 PM
I would accept much of that had we not held them to 2-0 away after throwing that one away after 20 mins.

Desire and determination go a long way... We had none of either.... Nobody chasing things down and fighting. Lack of interest. And effort.

That's before we discuss ability.

Keith_M
26-07-2013, 01:24 PM
In 1970-71, Hibs won 6-0 (9-2 aggr') against a team of non-entities from an inferior league called Malmo.

Fast forward about 40 years and Malmo won 7-0 (9-0 aggr') against a team of non-entities from an inferior league called Hibs.

Some countries have progressed immensely in football while Scotland has fallen to previously unimaginably low standards. Meanwhile, those in charge are re-branding the league with names stolen from England and awarding themselves pay rises but failing to address the poor standard of Scottish Football.

Gatecrasher
26-07-2013, 01:27 PM
There needs to be a lot of change in Scotland before teams out with celtic can compete in europe.

Crazyhorse
26-07-2013, 01:37 PM
In 1970-71, Hibs won 6-0 (9-2 aggr') against a team of non-entities from an inferior league called Malmo.

Fast forward about 40 years and Malmo won 7-0 (9-0 aggr') against a team of non-entities from an inferior league called Hibs.

Some countries have progressed immensely in football while Scotland has fallen to previously unimaginably low standards. Meanwhile, those in charge are re-branding the league with names stolen from England and awarding themselves pay rises but failing to address the poor standard of Scottish Football.

You are right up to a point about the overall relative decline of Scottish football but its Hibs performance that has left me almost physically sick. They are a professional football team ffs - this kind of disgusting abject surrender has not happened to other Scottish professional football teams.

Allant1981
26-07-2013, 02:33 PM
The gf and i were sat next to a couple of guys from sweden last night(not malmo fans as the pointed out!!) And they couldnt believe that we were getting horsed off them. They said that the swedish league isnt as good as ours and that the top tes here should be able to give them a decent game

NAE NOOKIE
26-07-2013, 05:17 PM
You are right up to a point about the overall relative decline of Scottish football but its Hibs performance that has left me almost physically sick. They are a professional football team ffs - this kind of disgusting abject surrender has not happened to other Scottish professional football teams.

This.

Lets not deflect this onto Scottish Football as a whole, average at best though it is. This is a Hibs problem !!!

Sir David Gray
26-07-2013, 07:49 PM
The gf and i were sat next to a couple of guys from sweden last night(not malmo fans as the pointed out!!) And they couldnt believe that we were getting horsed off them. They said that the swedish league isnt as good as ours and that the top tes here should be able to give them a decent game

We're not a top team in Scotland though.

The only reason we were in Europe was because we got to the Scottish Cup final.

We finished 7th in the league and lost two players in the close season in Griffiths and Claros who were arguably our two best players last season.

We should not have lost 7-0 last night, that was ridiculous and unacceptable, but I'm not surprised that they beat us.

Billy Whizz
26-07-2013, 08:01 PM
I think I read somewhere that Malmo is a city with around 300,000 residents. It's slightly smaller than Edinburgh, but we have 2 team's (at the moment) sharing support and income. The cost of goods is more expensive, so would expect salaries to be likewise. Think their tax is high as well. Was over last week for the game, and found out that the Danish tax is 49%. When you strip out everything, it will boil down to Malmo having a greater ave attendance than Hibs from a finance point of view.
However we are world's apart on football ability, if last nights showing is anything to go by

YehButNoBut
26-07-2013, 08:05 PM
When you look at Malmo's recent record in Europe it is just ok, we were not hammered by any European giants last night just a fairly decent side who we made look a lot better than they actually are. Doubt they would win the SPFL but would be a regular top 6 side.

Accept they may have improved this season but in season 11/12 they played HB Torshavn from the Faroes in CL qualifiers and only won 3-1 on agg (1-1 in Faroes).

In the same season they also dropped into the league stage of Europa League after beating Rangers & losing to Dinamo Zagreb in CL Qualifiers and did not win a single game, they're a good side but hardly world beaters.

A few weeks ago they beat Drogheda 2-0 on agg (0-0 in Ireland), Drogheda currently sit 8th in the Irish league, 22 points behind leaders St Patricks.

They finished 3rd in the Swedish league last season, 3 points behind winners Elfsborg, we can judge how strong that is after Celtic play them in the next round of the CL in the next 2 weeks.

They are, however, miles better than us.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malm%C3%B6_FF_in_European_football

Sir David Gray
26-07-2013, 08:35 PM
When you look at Malmo's recent record in Europe it is just ok, we were not hammered by any European giants last night just a fairly decent side who we made look a lot better than they actually are. Doubt they would win the SPFL but would be a regular top 6 side.

Accept they may have improved this season but in season 11/12 they played HB Torshavn from the Faroes in CL qualifiers and only won 3-1 on agg (1-1 in Faroes).

In the same season they also dropped into the league stage of Europa League after beating Rangers & losing to Dinamo Zagreb in CL Qualifiers and did not win a single game, they're a good side but hardly world beaters.

A few weeks ago they beat Drogheda 2-0 on agg (0-0 in Ireland), Drogheda currently sit 8th in the Irish league, 22 points behind leaders St Patricks.

They finished 3rd in the Swedish league last season, 3 points behind winners Elfsborg, we can judge how strong that is after Celtic play them in the next round of the CL in the next 2 weeks.

They are, however, miles better than us.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malm%C3%B6_FF_in_European_football

They would finish 2nd in the SPL by quite a distance, IMO.

They're not a great side but other than Celtic, they're the best team we'll face this season.

theonlywayisup
26-07-2013, 08:38 PM

Sad, sad stats!

I think we used to laugh at some of the Scandanavian sides 30/40 years ago. They were all blond, big athletic types, but not great footballers.

Now, they have added a better level of football skill to that athleticism. Whilst, we have gone backwards, in terms of basic football skill and knowledge.

I look at young Handling. He tried hard, but he is a pale shadow of the greats from 30/40 years ago. A poor man's Gareth Evans was a fair comment someone said, and young Gareth was hardly a great footballer!

Sad, sad decline in Scottish football. Or is it just Hibs.

Steven_Hibs
26-07-2013, 09:00 PM
Well the wee striker for malmo is on approx £18k a week. So that shows what kind of wages they pay

Treadstone
26-07-2013, 09:02 PM
Well the wee striker for malmo is on approx £18k a week. So that shows what kind of wages they pay

We made him look like a £100k a week striker last night.

Paisley Hibby
26-07-2013, 09:06 PM
There needs to be a lot of change in Scotland before teams out with celtic can compete in europe.

Like St Johnstone?

OsloHibs
26-07-2013, 09:13 PM
You've got to remember the standard of living costs higher in Sweden, so your wages are indeed much higher than UK- but your tax is higher too. £18,000 may seem a lot- but it's not really. In Norway (which is more expensive than Sweden) I make in 4 days here, what I made in a month in the UK. I've been saying since I've been here all those years that its not the backward place you all think it is.. Still very gutted though.

edinburghhibee
26-07-2013, 09:24 PM
You've got to remember the standard of living costs higher in Sweden, so your wages are indeed much higher than UK- but your tax is higher too. £18,000 may seem a lot- but it's not really. In Norway (which is more expensive than Sweden) I make in 4 days here, what I made in a month in the UK. I've been saying since I've been here all those years that its not the backward place you all think it is.. Still very gutted though.

I also lived in goteborg for a year. I completed my apprenticeship with ford and moved to Sweden where I worked with a Honda garage. I got triple the wages over there to what I got here.

The football in Sweden is played a different way to here and I believe this is the reason why they have better teams. The team I played with was a athletics club which simply meant that the young kids had something to do every night of the week for example Monday was basketball training, Tuesday netball, Wednesday football ect.

Their teams are pushing there players to control a ball dead first time, awareness of who is around you, and most importantly enjoyment. I just don't think Scotland has progressed to this way of thinking yet it's all about winning, getting the ball into the oppositions half as quickly as possible and that's easier done with the biggest boys you can find.

Gatecrasher
26-07-2013, 09:38 PM
He was brilliant last night.

Like St Johnstone?
1 win (albeit a good one) from St Johnstone doesn't make up for years of pish performances from most Scottish Clubs.

Seekyit
26-07-2013, 10:10 PM
I also lived in goteborg for a year. I completed my apprenticeship with ford and moved to Sweden where I worked with a Honda garage. I got triple the wages over there to what I got here.

The football in Sweden is played a different way to here and I believe this is the reason why they have better teams. The team I played with was a athletics club which simply meant that the young kids had something to do every night of the week for example Monday was basketball training, Tuesday netball, Wednesday football ect.

Their teams are pushing there players to control a ball dead first time, awareness of who is around you, and most importantly enjoyment. I just don't think Scotland has progressed to this way of thinking yet it's all about winning, getting the ball into the oppositions half as quickly as possible and that's easier done with the biggest boys you can find.

We as fans definitely lack patience. After 10 minutes last night someone behind me was shouting for Hibs to "step it up". Still, the odd thing here is that St Johnstone seem to have done a job against fairly similar opposition as us. What is wrong with us?

NGH
27-07-2013, 08:07 AM
One thing Sweden and Norway have not had is the distorting black hole effect of an Old Firm. It was always bad but for the past 30 years the distorting effect of the OF on the economics and competitiveness of Scottish football have been magnified. In Scotland teams gain almost no economic benefit from improvement in domestic performance. The budget gap between Celtic, Rangers and the rest meant that our game became a two horse race. The failure of the governing bodies to ensure more equitable distribution of income widened that gap. The arrival of the money-tree which is the Champions League has made the position even worse for "the rest". The rest of the SPL(SPFL) now act more as a doormat then a hurdle for Celtic as they go to collect their free money.

YehButNoBut
27-07-2013, 02:21 PM
One thing Sweden and Norway have not had is the distorting black hole effect of an Old Firm. It was always bad but for the past 30 years the distorting effect of the OF on the economics and competitiveness of Scottish football have been magnified. In Scotland teams gain almost no economic benefit from improvement in domestic performance. The budget gap between Celtic, Rangers and the rest meant that our game became a two horse race. The failure of the governing bodies to ensure more equitable distribution of income widened that gap. The arrival of the money-tree which is the Champions League has made the position even worse for "the rest". The rest of the SPL(SPFL) now act more as a doormat then a hurdle for Celtic as they go to collect their free money.

Probably a good point re Sweden not being dominated by 2 teams, also think if that was the case in Scotland most of the clubs here would have been able to keep hold of their better players and the need to sell would not be so great as hopefully local people would have been supporting Hibs or Hearts rather than go glory chasing supporting the OF.

Can you imagine if we had been able to hold on to the better players we have un-earthed (or signed) in recent years, as per below, we would certainly be able to compete in the Europa League then.

Fletcher
Brown
Whittaker
Murphy
Jones
Bamba
Stokes
Zemmama
Killen

Waxy
28-07-2013, 06:41 PM
makes you wonder how much wages these Swedish players are on.
Surely can't be much more than Hibs pay.
Perhaps a couple of Scandies in the team would give a boost.
When was the last time there was a really good all Brit side in Scotland?
Probably Celtic 1967,Hibs 73,New firm early 80s,Sevco 86?
Times have changed.
Players from abroad Always seem to be better now.

Pretty Boy
28-07-2013, 07:14 PM
makes you wonder how much wages these Swedish players are on.
Surely can't be much more than Hibs pay.
Perhaps a couple of Scandies in the team would give a boost.
When was the last time there was a really good all Brit side in Scotland?
Probably Celtic 1967,Hibs 73,New firm early 80s,Sevco 86?
Times have changed.
Players from abroad Always seem to be better now.

I'd imagine Swedish players will be on a decent whack because they will lose a high % to tax.

Dunderhall
28-07-2013, 07:27 PM
I'd imagine Swedish players will be on a decent whack because they will lose a high % to tax.
It shouldn't really matter though, it's the "take home" pay that counts at the end of the day rather than the top line figure I would have thought.

Turnips out, swedes in.

HUTCHYHIBBY
28-07-2013, 07:28 PM

Somebody posted earlier on this thread that the guy that played up front for them is on £18k a week.

Swede
29-07-2013, 05:35 AM
Interesting thread this! Top players in Allsvenskan (the swedish league) make about 250,000 SEK a month. That´s about 25K € a month and I can´t really see players making 18K a week, that´s unheard of......

Bristolhibby
29-07-2013, 07:06 AM
I think I read somewhere that Malmo is a city with around 300,000 residents. It's slightly smaller than Edinburgh, but we have 2 team's (at the moment) sharing support and income. The cost of goods is more expensive, so would expect salaries to be likewise. Think their tax is high as well. Was over last week for the game, and found out that the Danish tax is 49%. When you strip out everything, it will boil down to Malmo having a greater ave attendance than Hibs from a finance point of view.
However we are world's apart on football ability, if last nights showing is anything to go by

And people crow about taxes.

Look what happens in countries where politicians give a **** and care about the country.

I give you Denmark, Sweden and Norway.

And we have a lot to learn from their football culture also.

J