PDA

View Full Version : Lewis Stevenson, Professional Footballer? (merged)

Pages : [1] 2

SlickShoes
25-07-2013, 11:41 PM
I have been waiting for ages to make a thread about him and this is as good a time as any now we have truly hit rock bottom.

He is not a midfielder, he is not a right back, he is not a left back, he is not a professional footballer.

He has made a career out of being man of the match once in 2007, he seems unsackable.

I am sure he is a nice guy as well, but he is not even close to being a SPL level starting 11 player and never really has been.

I will be berated for this as I know he can do no wrong for some people here.

Other things from tonight, fantastic crowd, thousands of them put off never to return until the next cup final.

Pat Fenlon, why did you play an injured James McPake? Why was Lewis at right back? If Mullen was fit enough to come on 20 mins in he was fit enough to start.

Fenlon has to go if we start the season poorly, two of our worst results ever under his stewardship.

To the fans around me, cheer the **** up. Constantly hearing about how Rowan Vine is no Leigh Griffiths, Griffiths would have made 0 difference tonight, stop crying, he's gone. As soon as a hibs player has one bad touch the vitriol for them is astounding.

Let's not lay the blame 100% at the board and behind the scenes, we can pretend we are great fans but the amount of negativity is staggering.

If you left at 1-0 or 2-0 and chucked your scarf away, how many times have you actually watched hibs? Were you really unaware of the gulf in class between Malmo and ourselves, did you not see us play in the last two cup finals? Manage your expectations and you won't need to leave in a rage next time.

cabbageandribs1875
25-07-2013, 11:48 PM
better get the :tin hat: ready, although i've noticed a few of the wee lewis fan club are decidedly quiet tonight/recently, decent young laddie that gives his all(100%+ and that's a fact) but....infact...i think i'l leave it at that :greengrin

p.s. cant say i heard any vitriol from anyone around me

OrdHibby
25-07-2013, 11:50 PM
Totally agree with OP. You can never question his effort but unfortunately theres more to playing football than effort. He cannot make a forward pass without stopping first. When any of the opposition show any signs of closing him down he turns back. In all my years watching football i have never seen a more negative player. He's terrified of losing the ball. He's a major part of the reason we under achieve as a club when guys like him are offered new contracts on their ability to show plenty effort but lack basic footballing skills like passing and movement off the ball.

AllyF
25-07-2013, 11:50 PM
To answer your question: yes, Lewis Stevenson is a professional footballer. He plays for Hibernian FC, one of a number of Scottish football clubs.

1987green
26-07-2013, 12:10 AM
To answer your question: yes, Lewis Stevenson is a professional footballer. He plays for Hibernian FC, one of a number of Scottish football clubs.

Yes he is. Yes he does. Yes we are. But he is and always will be pish

J-C
26-07-2013, 12:26 AM
This is a night where you can't really have a go at Stevenson, he is a largely left sided midfielder who can do a turn for you as a left back. I'm pretty sure he din't ask to play at right back but will do so for the team when called upon, he put in quite a few decent performances at left back, equally at midfield and at times was one of our most consistent performers. A man with a brain the size of a pea could see he's very uncomfortable there but Fenlon for some weird strange reason likes to have players capable of playing in multi positions, what would be nice to see for a wee change is players playing in the positions best suited to their individual skills, it's not rocket science.:confused:

California-Hibs
26-07-2013, 12:29 AM
I have been waiting for ages to make a thread about him and this is as good a time as any now we have truly hit rock bottom.

He is not a midfielder, he is not a right back, he is not a left back, he is not a professional footballer.

He has made a career out of being man of the match once in 2007, he seems unsackable.

I am sure he is a nice guy as well, but he is not even close to being a SPL level starting 11 player and never really has been.

Other things from tonight, fantastic crowd, thousands of them put off never to return until the next cup final.

Pat Fenlon, why did you play an injured James McPake? Why was Lewis at right back? If Mullen was fit enough to come on 20 mins in he was fit enough to start.

Fenlon has to go if we start the season poorly, two of our worst results ever under his stewardship.

To the fans around me, cheer the **** up. Constantly hearing about how Rowan Vine is no Leigh Griffiths, Griffiths would have made 0 difference tonight, stop crying, he's gone. As soon as a hibs player has one bad touch the vitriol for them is astounding.

Let's not lay the blame 100% at the board and behind the scenes, we can pretend we are great fans but the amount of negativity is staggering.

If you left at 1-0 or 2-0 and chucked your scarf away, how many times have you actually watched hibs? Were you really unaware of the gulf in class between Malmo and ourselves, did you not see us play in the last two cup finals? Manage your expectations and you won't need to leave in a rage next time.

You won't be berated from me as I've been saying this for YEARS!

Alot of Hibs fans are completely off their heads when it comes to Lewis Stevenson, he is garbage, totally garbage. He lives off of ONE performance in the 2007 Cup Final, and as you say, he seems unsackable. Some Hibs fans have this very weird thing that if they are - a trier, small, hard tackler, cute, etc, then they are good enough to be in the squad, it's mind-blowing sometimes what Hibs fans will come out with regarding Lewis Stevenson.

Let me reiterate. Players such as Stevenson, Hanlon, Wotherspoon, are part of the reason for why Hibs have been so so poor for the past few years. However we will continue to persist (Wotherspoon aside in which I was DELIGHTED that sense was finally seen to get rid of him) with these jokers and be on the end of embarrassing results and performances like tonight.

Stevenson will continue to pop up in people match day teams no doubt. Bloody wake up guy's!

California-Hibs
26-07-2013, 12:30 AM
Totally agree with OP. You can never question his effort but unfortunately theres more to playing football than effort. He cannot make a forward pass without stopping first. When any of the opposition show any signs of closing him down he turns back. In all my years watching football i have never seen a more negative player. He's terrified of losing the ball. He's a major part of the reason we under achieve as a club when guys like him are offered new contracts on their ability to show plenty effort but lack basic footballing skills like passing and movement off the ball.

After reading your post, this is it in a nutshell, well said!

hibee_girl
26-07-2013, 12:37 AM
This is a night where you can't really have a go at Stevenson, he is a largely left sided midfielder who can do a turn for you as a left back. I'm pretty sure he din't ask to play at right back but will do so for the team when called upon, he put in quite a few decent performances at left back, equally at midfield and at times was one of our most consistent performers. A man with a brain the size of a pea could see he's very uncomfortable there but Fenlon for some weird strange reason likes to have players capable of playing in multi positions, what would be nice to see for a wee change is players playing in the positions best suited to their individual skills, it's not rocket science.:confused:

:agree:

Squealing pig
26-07-2013, 12:41 AM
Ad have stevenson before hanlon and day of the week.

lEXO
26-07-2013, 12:41 AM
The whole team was gash tonight. I like Lewis but tonight wasn't his best night, same goes for them all. I,m more bothered that the manager started with a left back at right back and a centre half at left back when we had a right back on the bench. Baffled from Powderhall.

KWJ
26-07-2013, 01:16 AM
How can he live off of one performance yet win our player of the year in a separate season? :confused:

marinello59
26-07-2013, 01:20 AM
How can he live off of one performance yet win our player of the year in a separate season? :confused:

It's a mystery. And why have so many different Hibs managers seen fit to keep offering him another contract and/or praise his contribution and keep picking him.

Pete
26-07-2013, 01:29 AM
Jack of all trades, master of none.

I disagree with a lot of criticism on this thread though and think he is a great player to have at the club.

I can't help wondering how he would have developed had he left four years ago and held down a constant midfield position at another club.

Probably be first pick for Scotland:rolleyes::greengrin

matty_f
26-07-2013, 01:34 AM
Stevenson was hung out to dry by Fenlon playing him at right back.

Lewis has proved time and again that he's a useful squad player but he shouldn't be a first pick imho.

edinburghhibee
26-07-2013, 01:49 AM
I really feel for Lewis he is a decent player to have around the club however like someone has said PF's terrible tactical awareness had hung Lewis out to dry.

Most folk, who watched the game last week said Lewis was the weak link in the defence, what does our manager do??? Plays him in the same position!!! PF must take the hit for this and last weeks result. For me it's a thanks but not good enough paddy!!

The Baldmans Comb
26-07-2013, 01:58 AM
Thank god its no just me. Stevenson is an utterly dreadful player who sums up the complete mediocrity that some Hibs fan absolutely revel in just cos "Wee Lewis is a great wee guy who tries and tries his hardest"

Makes me want to puke.

edinburghhibee
26-07-2013, 02:02 AM
Thank god its no just me. Stevenson is an utterly dreadful player who sums up the complete mediocrity that some Hibs fan absolutely revel in just cos "Wee Lewis is a great wee guy who tries and tries his hardest"

Makes me want to puke.

Keep in mind he's not a left back and has never ever been a right back I think your being harsh. It's like playing aguero defence mid why would you do it PF has been in the heroin all week!!

Halifaxhibby
26-07-2013, 02:47 AM

I've never doubted Lewis' commitment and effort, as I've said earlier hes at best a squad player, just like Hanlon, but to rip him apart for being played continually out of position is unfair on the guy. Yes he's no full back and especially on the right!!!, WTF was pat thinking?, sorry, the buck stops wi the guy who picks the team!!, if we played Thomson up front and ripped into him for no scoring is that his fault???, Fenlon is well out his depth now, a blind man on the moon could see the areas were short in!!, but, the pr dept at Easter road

ColintonHibs
26-07-2013, 03:47 AM

spot on :top marks

California-Hibs
26-07-2013, 04:05 AM

Makes me want to puke.

Never was a truer word spoken! He's bloddy dreadful!

Pete
26-07-2013, 04:18 AM
Blaming Stevenson for anything that has happened tonight is utter nonsense.

Sorry OP but your thread is just a rant.

KWJ
26-07-2013, 04:59 AM
It's a mystery. And why have so many different Hibs managers seen fit to keep offering him another contract and/or praise his contribution and keep picking him.

Because he was debatably our best player through one of them and deserving of it. He's not let any of his managers down.

I too wouldn't have him in my first eleven but he can patch up positions. His problem now is that he's never going to get anywhere near our centre midfield so it's left back only and that's not much good to him or us.

Chump
26-07-2013, 05:51 AM
Stevenson's poor performance was exacerbated by the fact that Malmo can actually spot a weakness and capitalise on it!!

Rantie up front had a field day but Hibs defence and tactics allowed him that opportunity - the difference is Pat Fenlon can't spot weaknesses, cant set up his team to capitalise, can't learn from lessons/bad performances and is tactically out of his depth.

The high line we played against pacy front men who are match fit was suicide.....why have Handling up front as he cannot compete with his back to the goals as he had, Harris was diabolical, McPake shouldn't have started, we as a team cannot pass the ball first time forward, we as a team cannot pass the ball first time full stop.

We as supporters need to acknowledge and manage our expectations.....our squad is poor, our manager is not of the quality we need, we have a Chairman who is hell bent on money and not the first XI.....and when that happens you get results like tonight.

RIP
26-07-2013, 06:02 AM
Only a tactically inept lunatic would play a 100% left sided midfielder at right back over 2 legs when he was ripped a new one in leg 1.

There were coaching errors and tactical mistakes strewn all over that pitch last night

Hopefully Kevin Thomson has the balls to go one step further than he did at Hampden and chin that incompetent dwarf

Surely the players have lost all confidence in him now?

Brooster
26-07-2013, 06:48 AM
I really am at the end of my tether with Hibs at the moment. The lack of skill, preperation, desire and pace (with and without the ball) is shocking and Lewis Stevenson epitomises this in spades. My heart sinks when I see his name on the team sheet. What does he actually bring to the team because he can't head the ball, can't tackle, can't pass, can't drive forward, can't control the ball, is slow and can't man mark a player....yes he tries 100% but so would I if I played for Hibs. He isn't anywhere near good enough to be near a Hibs first team squad. At the fourth goal he showed a left footed player inside only for him to bang one in - any player with half a brain would know not to do this. The boy Mullen showed in 60 odd minutes that he is a far better player, at least he drives on and tries to create things.

Winston Ingram
26-07-2013, 06:49 AM

Behave yourself. I'll gi ye he's no a right back but he's more than demonstrated he's good enough over the last couple of days

Zazu62
26-07-2013, 07:02 AM
What does he offer apart from passing the ball backwards , he's gash

lucky
26-07-2013, 07:05 AM
Lewis got ripped apart in Malmo by them but PF played him again ar RB. In the SPL he is an average squad player. He can come in and do a job. But let's not blame him for that shambolic performance. He was part of the team that let us down. But individual mistakes by Thompson, McPake, Williams all contributed to the goals. These are senior players who were very poor on the night

easty
26-07-2013, 07:05 AM
Only a tactically inept lunatic would play a 100% left sided midfielder at right back over 2 legs when he was ripped a new one in leg 1.

There were coaching errors and tactical mistakes strewn all over that pitch last night

Hopefully Kevin Thomson has the balls to go one step further than he did at Hampden and chin that incompetent dwarf

Surely the players have lost all confidence in him now?

He's not a right sided player, but as soon as he went to left back he showed their boy inside instead of out and he scored easily. It was a horrendous bit of defending.

Beefster
26-07-2013, 07:13 AM
I've said it plenty of times on here but it's worth repeating - if Stevenson is starting a game, our squad isn't strong enough.

clerriehibs
26-07-2013, 07:16 AM

Waited for ages, eh? So good of you.

bigwheel
26-07-2013, 07:23 AM

So let me get this straight, you have a rant about Stevenson and then a rant about negative fans. hmmm. Thanks for this sparkling contribution....

BigKev
26-07-2013, 07:43 AM
Someone once posted "if Stevenson is the answer then we're not asking the right questions" which I feel is pretty apt.

To blame him for last night's fiasco however is unfair. There were others worse than him.

He's a decent squad player but should not be a regular starter.

And as for playing him at right back? No further comments are needed on that score.

HFC 0-7
26-07-2013, 07:54 AM
I've said it plenty of times on here but it's worth repeating - if Stevenson is starting a game, our squad isn't strong enough.

Probably true, but for some reason even when he plays better than the rest of the squad he still gets people putting the boot in. There are many other players at hibs that should be replaced before him IMO.

BarneyK
26-07-2013, 08:16 AM
Blaming Stevenson for anything that has happened tonight is utter nonsense.

Sorry OP but your thread is just a rant.

:agree: Yip. We win as a team and we lose as a team. And that team was just bowfin'. Not Lewis' fault individually, but the team's fault collectively. That said, the players have to win their individual battles in the team. Not one did.

hihohibby
26-07-2013, 08:21 AM

I absolutely agree. I have watched Stevenson turn out again and again and again and again and seen absolutely nothing but mediocrity. His fitness is all that he possesses. Stevenson epitomises everything that is wrong with the Hibs mentality. We now accept mediocrity and rave about average players. That's how low we have gone these past 6 years.

Pat 0-7
26-07-2013, 08:32 AM
Lewis got ripped apart in Malmo by them but PF played him again ar RB. In the SPL he is an average squad player. He can come in and do a job. But let's not blame him for that shambolic performance. He was part of the team that let us down. But individual mistakes by Thompson, McPake, Williams all contributed to the goals. These are senior players who were very poor on the night

Agree with the above. He was poor but so was the whole team, both from a playing point of view and tactically (which is down to PF).

Williams was at fault for at least two of the goals - I dont see a thread on getting rid of him?

BarneyK
26-07-2013, 08:35 AM
Agree with the above. He was poor but so was the whole team, both from a playing point of view and tactically (which is down to PF).

Williams was at fault for at least two of the goals - I dont see a thread on getting rid of him?

:agree: Worth noting also that Lewis was only at RB until McPake went off (after the first goal). Thereafter it was Mullen who was ripped a new one as most of their threat did seem to still come from that side.

SlickShoes
26-07-2013, 08:40 AM
So let me get this straight, you have a rant about Stevenson and then a rant about negative fans. hmmm. Thanks for this sparkling contribution....

Was waiting on this coming up, I am venting my frustration on an Internet forum. I get frustrated by Lewis every time I see him play but when I am at the game I am not leaving at 1-0, I am urging the team on to do better, that was a lost cause tonight though.

The negativity from the fans is totally different to criticizing an individual players contribution, Liam Criag got the ball up near there corner in the first half, he took one bad touch and the ball got away from him, the fans around me erupted in to shouts of "**** sake craig you are *****", " should have stayed at st johnstone" "don't know why we signed you, ****ing pathetic". This was about 15 minutes in to the guys home debut. The same happened to Vine, the staggering negativity to any player that isn't "one of our own" is beyond belief.

Lewis is a trier, he would be decent coming off the bench, but as long as he is in the Hibs starting 11 we are a very weak side.

Also I am not for one minute blaming Lewis for tonight's defeat. That is squarely down to Pat Fenlon, Lewis is a bad left back, an even worse right back. If Mullen was fit enough to come on after 20 minutes he was fit enough to start.

SlickShoes
26-07-2013, 08:43 AM

Because Williams is a good goalkeeper that has the odd bad bad game, Lewis is a mediocre player that had one great game in 2007.

PeeJay
26-07-2013, 08:47 AM
I like Stevenson. I remember that cup final - he won man of the match - it's not often that the right back wins MoM ...

J-C
26-07-2013, 08:48 AM
Because Williams is a good goalkeeper that has the odd bad bad game, Lewis is a mediocre player that had one great game in 2007.

But you can't fit square blocks into round holes, Williams plays in one specialist position and trains there weekly, Lewis is a central/left midfielder who's hardly ever been played there because our manager has moved him all over the place due to not being able to get cover in these positions. Putting Hanlon at left back when he's slow and a constant ball watcher was a disgrace when Lewis has proven time and time again he can be a very useful deputy there. I hate to say it but we should've had Maybury back covering at RB, maybe slow but is very experienced there.

SlickShoes
26-07-2013, 08:53 AM
But you can't fit square blocks into round holes, Williams plays in one specialist position and trains there weekly, Lewis is a central/left midfielder who's hardly ever been played there because our manager has moved him all over the place due to not being able to get cover in these positions. Putting Hanlon at left back when he's slow and a constant ball watcher was a disgrace when Lewis has proven time and time again he can be a very useful deputy there. I hate to say it but we should've had Maybury back covering at RB, maybe slow but is very experienced there.

Lewis doesn't even have a position any more, he is a utility player, but not a very good one. He's nowhere near good enough to get in to our midfield but we always have problems at left/right back so he gets shoved in there. He does the best he can, but it has been clear to see for ages that his best is not good enough. He has never been good enough to consistently play midfield which has somehow led to him becoming a defender due to our lack of cover and injury problems. I can see that this is not HIS fault but it doesn't mean we should accept the fact that he is not a good footballer at this level.

bigwheel
26-07-2013, 08:53 AM
Lewis is a trier, he would be decent coming off the bench, but as long as he is in the Hibs starting 11 we are a very weak side.

So now I get it...he is decent coming off the bench but we are very weak if he starts....ok, you've convinced me !

SlickShoes
26-07-2013, 08:56 AM
So now I get it...he is decent coming off the bench but we are very weak if he starts....ok, you've convinced me !

Your counter argument for him to be in the starting 11 has convinced me, i'll just delete this thread now and put him in at right/left back every game.

If he was to come on later in a game with his fitness levels and enter in to a comfortable position for him (midfield) he would do OK, as a starting right/left back he is no good, he is also not good enough to start in our midfield. Is that hard to comprehend?

J-C
26-07-2013, 08:58 AM
Lewis doesn't even have a position any more, he is a utility player, but not a very good one. He's nowhere near good enough to get in to our midfield but we always have problems at left/right back so he gets shoved in there. He does the best he can, but it has been clear to see for ages that his best is not good enough. He has never been good enough to consistently play midfield which has somehow led to him becoming a defender due to our lack of cover and injury problems. I can see that this is not HIS fault but it doesn't mean we should accept the fact that he is not a good footballer at this level.

He was a good footballer but as you said he's now seen as a utility player, shunted all over the place because umpteen managers can't get in the proper personnel to cover all positions, may be by playing in his best and preferred position he could be one of our better midfielders but as it is he's being lambasted for being a trier playing in positions he's not the best in but on you go, forget the other 13 players who played absolute gash last night.

southern hibby
26-07-2013, 08:59 AM
Ad have stevenson before hanlon and day of the week.

Please don't think i'm supporting Hanlon here I'm not, however last night and in Malmo Hanlon was actually our best player at left back. Until McPake went off and hanlon moved into central defence he was walking the game. Don't think he will ever be any good central defence but maybe just maybe a run at left back. compared to McGivern in this position (who in the cup final and pre-season) has looked very uncomfortable, would give us a player for one of the four positions in defence that must surely be up for grabs. GGTTH

Beefster
26-07-2013, 09:03 AM
Please don't think i'm supporting Hanlon here I'm not, however last night and in Malmo Hanlon was actually our best player at left back. Until McPake went off and hanlon moved into central defence he was walking the game. Don't think he will ever be any good central defence but maybe just maybe a run at left back. compared to McGivern in this position (who in the cup final and pre-season) has looked very uncomfortable, would give us a player for one of the four positions in defence that must surely be up for grabs. GGTTH

I can't comment on the game last week but Hanlon wasn't walking the game last night at any point. Granted, he wasn't getting ripped to the same extent as Stevenson on the other side but he was struggling at LB.

OrdHibby
26-07-2013, 09:07 AM
I do believe Stevenson is the new Benny Brazil. Managers play him for reasons unknown to any sane person.

He's probably a fantastic trainer but he can't produce anything on the field of play. Shame but its a cruel world and you can't have sentiment at a football club.

Attitude 10/10
Ability 03/10

greenlex
26-07-2013, 09:14 AM
Some of the comments on this and other threads beggar belief but I reckon this thread takes the biscuit.

edwards
26-07-2013, 09:28 AM
Some of the comments on this and other threads beggar belief but I reckon this thread takes the biscuit.

Why he didn't have a clue how to defend against Malmo he keeps getting backed to the hilt on here he is more inconsistent than any other player in the team.
Taxi for Stevenson

blackpoolhibs
26-07-2013, 09:40 AM
Stevenson was hung out to dry by Fenlon playing him at right back.

Lewis has proved time and again that he's a useful squad player but he shouldn't be a first pick imho.

:top marks He's a player that comes in and normally gives a 6 or a 7 performance in the SPL, but is not a first choice left back or even midfielder.

He's then played at right back and slaughtered for having played poor. I was in the west lower last night, about 25 yards up, and he had NO options when on the ball, other than play it back to Williams, it was just hit it over the top.

He's a left sided SPL squad player, not a right back in any league.

Hero76
26-07-2013, 09:48 AM
lewis is rank rotten has been for years he should never ever play for hibs again.

StevesFamau5
26-07-2013, 10:06 AM
Honestly the worst post I have seen on here for ages. The whole team was murder. All of them not fit to wear the shirt but no once again let's all pick on Stevenson. I spent 90 minutes listening to some welt moan about how bad he was and it was pathetic that every time he did something positive I would make loud remarks to surrounding morons about how he did more than some of the other wasters on that park. In fact while writing this I'm reminded of the fact all of the complainers... Wait for it... Don't! And that is the keyword don't! Play for hibs or in fact play professional football at all... Shock horror!!! So yes you paid your money to see shocking football. But shocking from all 11 on the park. Not just one lad. Get a grip people.

SlickShoes
26-07-2013, 10:09 AM
Honestly the worst post I have seen on here for ages. The whole team was murder. All of them not fit to wear the shirt but no once again let's all pick on Stevenson. I spent 90 minutes listening to some welt moan about how bad he was and it was pathetic that every time he did something positive I would make loud remarks to surrounding morons about how he did more than some of the other wasters on that park. In fact while writing this I'm reminded of the fact all of the complainers... Wait for it... Don't! And that is the keyword don't! Play for hibs or in fact play professional football at all... Shock horror!!! So yes you paid your money to see shocking football. But shocking from all 11 on the park. Not just one lad. Get a grip people.

Aye he should be immune from criticism because some people think he is a good player, good one!

I am not singling out Lewis for last night, I am also allowed to give my opinion and you are allowed to disagree.

If you think my opinion of him doesn't matter because I am not a Pro footballer then your positive opinion equally means nothing because neither are you.

PatHead
26-07-2013, 10:20 AM
To be fair I am not, and have never been, a Stevenson fan. I think he demonstrates everything that is wrong with this club as people like him for trying as no-one else appears to give a toss on the pitch. The bottom line is that he isn't good enough can't pass, can't shoot, no very good at tackling and is tactically inept- but hey ho he is a good guy who is trying. You could probably say the same about Pat Fenlon. Doesn't mean we want him to stay.

KWJ
26-07-2013, 11:29 AM
I am not singling out Lewis for last night.

Eh...really?

StevesFamau5
26-07-2013, 11:47 AM
Aye he should be immune from criticism because some people think he is a good player, good one!

I am not singling out Lewis for last night, I am also allowed to give my opinion and you are allowed to disagree.

If you think my opinion of him doesn't matter because I am not a Pro footballer then your positive opinion equally means nothing because neither are you.

You kinda did single him out. This thread singled him out. I know I'm not I have no right to belittle someone so intensely it almost becomes criminal. The mere fact he was out of position seemed to start the hate campaign. I never said he should be immune but starting a thread solely on him shows just how pathetic some supporters really are. Where's the threads regarding forwards failing to score? Or how KT always try's the same flick pass and it doesn't work? Maybe I am defending Lewis a bit much but it's because as I originally said. The whole team from Williams through to handling were god awful piss poor and should be ashamed.

Tiocfaidh Ar La
26-07-2013, 11:48 AM
Something to consider - If Lewis Stevenson left Hibs tomorrow where would he go? It certainly won't be a bigger or better club. Not good enough. Too many players have been at Easter Road in our recent history that are of his level unfortunately.

Garbage and just not good enough. Hibs really must do better...

KWJ
26-07-2013, 11:52 AM
I reckon every side in Scotland would take him outwith Celtic.

Hibs squad is no worse than other teams and we've probably got the most depth in CM. He won't be on any high wage.

EDIT - Not suggesting he'd walk into all these teams but I reckon that there would be interest.

We're about the only team he's not suited to just now yet we still require him at LB & RB.

bigwheel
26-07-2013, 11:55 AM

Agree with this...those stating Lewis is "never a player". "should never play again" frankly either have no idea what they are talking about or are just speaking through emotion rather than logic...This whole thread is a bit of a joke

StevesFamau5
26-07-2013, 12:03 PM
Agree with this...those stating Lewis is "never a player". "should never play again" frankly either have no idea what they are talking about or are just speaking through emotion rather than logic...This whole thread is a bit of a joke

Finally some sense :) glad I'm not the only one who finds this thread a joke

Jonnyboy
26-07-2013, 12:03 PM

Tosh. That's exactly what you did. Still, if it makes you feel better, fill yer boots

EH54
26-07-2013, 12:16 PM
I'm happy for him to be part of our team i think he is a good player to have and a asset to our squad but i do believe we should have better players than him, Made it on MOTM in 2007,? He was fans player of the year 2 years ago and was proberbly the only player worth watching that year i for one hope that he's with us until at least 2015 and gets his testimonial.

:giruy:

Onion
26-07-2013, 12:16 PM

:top marks have always thought the same. Nice lad but epitomises a club that has woefully under-performed since 2007 and has featured throughout one of the worst periods in the club's history in terms of performances, results and records (scores, run of results etc). IMHO he should leave the club for his own sake and career as he has become synonymous with capitulation, heavy defeats, eye-bleeding football and low esteem.

Spike Mandela
26-07-2013, 12:26 PM
I don't care one way or the other. If we never see Lewis again it wouldn't break my heart but if he is used sparingly in a position he can actually play well that wouldn't bother me either.

If you are going to accept the tag 'utility player' you have to expect being shuffled around a bit but playing him at RB against Malmo again meant he was shat on as were the punters who paid to watch it.

Not a player I have ever been a big fan of but definitely felt a bit sorry for him last night.

patlowe
26-07-2013, 12:33 PM
I don't have a problem with Stevenson being in the squad - he's a good professional and will give his all. However, it becomes a problem if our whole signing policy appears to be solely based on those attributes. Stevenson, Taiwo, Robertson, Vine (so far), Hanlon etc etc - all good guys who give 100% but when it comes down to it they were a million miles behind the Malmo players last night in terms of basic technical ability.

TrinityHibs
26-07-2013, 12:36 PM

No player who played last night should be immune from criticism and it would be fair to criticise Louis as part of the team. You did however single Louis out for criticism. In fact you started the thread by saying you had been waiting for ages to launch into him. Louis is a utility player who gives 100% for Hibs. He has his shortcomings but he is one of the most professional players that we have. He is and has been a SPL starting player for most of his career. with the exception of Celtc I would be fairly confident that he could play for any other SPL team but I cannot actually prove this because he's a Hibs player. Interestingly Stevie May scored the goal last night for St Johnstone from a Spoonie pass who was another player who supposedly couldn't get a game at any other SPL team before he did. Just out of curiosity who would you have played at left back last night and would they have overturned the 9 goals needed for us to go through?

You are right you are allowed to express an opinion. Some opinions of course are ill considered, vindictive and factually incorrect. I'm disagreeing with you and I'm not a professional footballer.

In case you missed the question who were you going to bring in to sort out the left back position last night?

SlickShoes
26-07-2013, 12:42 PM
No player who played last night should be immune from criticism and it would be fair to criticise Louis as part of the team. You did however single Louis out for criticism. In fact you started the thread by saying you had been waiting for ages to launch into him. Louis is a utility player who gives 100% for Hibs. He has his shortcomings but he is one of the most professional players that we have. He is and has been a SPL starting player for most of his career. with the exception of Celtc I would be fairly confident that he could play for any other SPL team but I cannot actually prove this because he's a Hibs player. Interestingly Stevie May scored the goal last night for St Johnstone from a Spoonie pass who was another player who supposedly couldn't get a game at any other SPL team before he did. Just out of curiosity who would you have played at left back last night and would they have overturned the 9 goals needed for us to go through?

You are right you are allowed to express an opinion. Some opinions of course are ill considered, vindictive and factually incorrect. I'm disagreeing with you and I'm not a professional footballer.

In case you missed the question who were you going to bring in to sort out the left back position last night?

In last nights scenario Lewis would have been the only real choice at left back, no one with a brain would have played him at right back, Pat Fenlon did though.

If Mullen was fit enough to be thrown in after 20 minutes he was fit enough to start.

I am singling out stevenson yes, but I am not singling him out for last night alone, rather his overall career since March 2007.

StevesFamau5
26-07-2013, 12:47 PM
In last nights scenario Lewis would have been the only real choice at left back, no one with a brain would have played him at right back, Pat Fenlon did though.

If Mullen was fit enough to be thrown in after 20 minutes he was fit enough to start.

I am singling out stevenson yes, but I am not singling him out for last night alone, rather his overall career since March 2007.

Why?
Did he pull a nasty face at you?
Or maybe he made a "yo momma so fat.." Joke?
Yes to a lot of people he might not be great but I struggle to understand what he has done to you to deserve your hatred? Have you expressed your displeasure at him being part of hibs yet? And I don't mean via a thread on a message board. Have you actually said "Lewis I hate you as a player, you are ****. Please leave this club now"
If he bothers you that much maybe you should write a strongly worded letter to him using harsh language. You never know he might leave then..... -_-

lapsedhibee
26-07-2013, 01:06 PM
Why?
Yes to a lot of people he might not be great but I struggle to understand what he has done to you to deserve your hatred? Have you expressed your displeasure at him being part of hibs yet? And I don't mean via a thread on a message board. Have you actually said "Lewis I hate you as a player, you are ****. Please leave this club now"
If he bothers you that much maybe you should write a strongly worded letter to him using harsh language. You never know he might leave then..... -_-

:confused: Shirley that's Sidney's job to write strongly worded letters using harsh language?

SlickShoes
26-07-2013, 01:19 PM
Why?

I don't hate him, I have never met him, I don't think he is a good enough footballer to be in the Hibs starting 11.

You are the one that has brought up stuff about "hate", you are being childish.

TrinityHibs
26-07-2013, 01:32 PM

So you're not singling him out based on last night merely singling him out for everything he has done since March 2007. What about pre March 2007 when Scotland U18's thought he had something to offer? What about the 8 games for the Scotland U 20's in 2007-2008 was that only on the back of the League Cup as well? Does that include or exclude 2011-12 when he was Hibs POTY or does that not count?

I think we all accept he is not Ashley Cole, only uses his right leg to stand on and isn't going to worry Usain Bolt at the Olympic Games in Rio. He is however our longest serving player and has played his part in some of our better games during that period. I also accept that you hold him in very low regard and can understand your frustrations however to come on after a match last night and highlight Lewis in the way that you did was not needed. But as you have said you are entitled to your opinions.

Lewis was badly exposed last night not helped by the back line trying to hold a high line against real pace or the back four dropping back and the midfield not following leaving space in front of the back four to exploit with simple pass and go movement.

If you wanted to pick something out last night I would have looked at either lack of movement, basic skills or fitness as something to have a rant about. Opinions huh

Jones28
26-07-2013, 01:36 PM
No one should be singled out for last night, everyone to a man is responsible for that debacle.

Brightside
26-07-2013, 02:06 PM
No one should be singled out for last night, everyone to a man is responsible for that debacle.

Fenlon - just fenlon.

Jonnyboy
26-07-2013, 02:13 PM
So you're not singling him out based on last night merely singling him out for everything he has done since March 2007. What about pre March 2007 when Scotland U18's thought he had something to offer? What about the 8 games for the Scotland U 20's in 2007-2008 was that only on the back of the League Cup as well? Does that include or exclude 2011-12 when he was Hibs POTY or does that not count?

I think we all accept he is not Ashley Cole, only uses his right leg to stand on and isn't going to worry Usain Bolt at the Olympic Games in Rio. He is however our longest serving player and has played his part in some of our better games during that period. I also accept that you hold him in very low regard and can understand your frustrations however to come on after a match last night and highlight Lewis in the way that you did was not needed. But as you have said you are entitled to your opinions.

Lewis was badly exposed last night not helped by the back line trying to hold a high line against real pace or the back four dropping back and the midfield not following leaving space in front of the back four to exploit with simple pass and go movement.

If you wanted to pick something out last night I would have looked at either lack of movement, basic skills or fitness as something to have a rant about. Opinions huh

I would be honoured to share yours :agree:

Stantons Angel
26-07-2013, 03:16 PM
[QUOTE=SlickShoes;3688565]I have been waiting for ages to make a thread about him and this is as good a time as any now we have truly hit rock bottom.

I will be berated for this as I know he can do no wrong with some people on here.

You must have been up all night with all that going round and round in your head?

Where do you get off picking Lewis out for this sort of criticism? how on earth was he the worst player on that park last night. You cant have been sitting where i was as all i seen last night was 11 of the so called players you mention so scathingly! You then say we cant blame the board and others 100%..... but you can blame Lewis 100% though

Before coming on here and venting forth your frustrations on the laddie you should take a good look around the team itself.

No one around me last night shouted abuse at him or singled him out for it either. He was part of a Hibs team that lacked passion, ability, strength and any work ethic! they were ALL RUBBISH, yes every single one of them all over the park.

Lewis does not deserve to be the whipping boy in every bad defeat we have!

He was on his own out on that wing exposed to the ingenuity of the Malmo midfielders with no support in front or alongside him.

There are lots of things we could all go on about and bore each other silly but the constant harping on about Lewis is beyond a joke.

Can you, who preaches forth such absolute drivel, tell me who could have played better in that position out of the pool of players available last night?

No wonder those around you told you to cheer up, you would have done my head in going on like this at a game. you are not the only one hurting after this result and Lewis is not the only one to have let us fans down,

The seasons not started yet and you have already picked out your favorite for abuse already. Give him a chance for goodness sake there is nothing we can do about it now, its over.

We have to concentrate on the new season and HOPE that those sitting in their comfy directors box seats now get the message we have known for seasons now

YOU NEED TO INVEST IN SOME EXPERIENCED PLAYERS to bring these youngsters on.

Wotherspiniesta
26-07-2013, 05:27 PM
Stevenson's not good enough. A trier, nothing else. Its silly that he's lasted this long on his ability to try hard over his footballing ability.

The thing is, with the amount of managers we've had, I'm not surprised he's stuck around. Each manager has come in and looked at the very basics of our squad and thought " Who's going to bust a gut for me" and they've all seen Stevenson and thought "him". As soon as Stevenson gets found out for his lack of footballing skill, we've sacked the manager and so the cycle continues. He needs emptied, IMO. Won't be a player to come back and bite us and isn't good enough to hold down any position in the starting XI.

Holmesdale Hibs
26-07-2013, 06:06 PM
He's been a decent squad player his whole career. Can't fault his effort and commitment and happy for him to stay on that basis. However, apart from a brief spell under Collins, I've never regarded him as a first team player and when he plays its generally because someone's injured or the teams doing badly.

Andy74
26-07-2013, 06:09 PM
Good cover for left back.

Stantons Angel
26-07-2013, 06:11 PM
Stevenson's not good enough. A trier, nothing else. Its silly that he's lasted this long on his ability to try hard over his footballing ability.

The thing is, with the amount of managers we've had, I'm not surprised he's stuck around. Each manager has come in and looked at the very basics of our squad and thought " Who's going to bust a gut for me" and they've all seen Stevenson and thought "him". As soon as Stevenson gets found out for his lack of footballing skill, we've sacked the manager and so the cycle continues. He needs emptied, IMO. Won't be a player to come back and bite us and isn't good enough to hold down any position in the starting XI.

You could be describing any one of the players in our squad at the moment ANY one of them!

the managers see that he is a wholehearted player and gives his all, whats wrong with that? Why are you not asking why he doesnt see this in ALL our players then.

What next can you pin on him..........................

lapsedhibee
26-07-2013, 06:14 PM

That's just asking for it!

clerriehibs
26-07-2013, 06:18 PM
Was waiting on this coming up, I am venting my frustration on an Internet forum. I get frustrated by Lewis every time I see him play but when I am at the game I am not leaving at 1-0, I am urging the team on to do better, that was a lost cause tonight though.

The negativity from the fans is totally different to criticizing an individual players contribution, Liam Criag got the ball up near there corner in the first half, he took one bad touch and the ball got away from him, the fans around me erupted in to shouts of "**** sake craig you are *****", " should have stayed at st johnstone" "don't know why we signed you, ****ing pathetic". This was about 15 minutes in to the guys home debut. The same happened to Vine, the staggering negativity to any player that isn't "one of our own" is beyond belief.

Also I am not for one minute blaming Lewis for tonight's defeat. That is squarely down to Pat Fenlon, Lewis is a bad left back, an even worse right back. If Mullen was fit enough to come on after 20 minutes he was fit enough to start.

Belter!! Maybe you shouldn't have started a sarcastically titled thread
blaming Fenlon rather than stevenson if you think the blame is at Fenlon's door.

Speedy
26-07-2013, 06:23 PM
He's been a decent squad player his whole career. Can't fault his effort and commitment and happy for him to stay on that basis. However, apart from a brief spell under Collins, I've never regarded him as a first team player and when he plays its generally because someone's injured or the teams doing badly.

Stevenson is a steady 2nd choice left back for us but just isn't good enough to hold down the place. There's a reason he was barely seen while we were doing well.

clerriehibs
26-07-2013, 06:24 PM

Singling out Stevenson is EXACTLY what you did when starting this thread with his name in the title after an abject defeat.

clerriehibs
26-07-2013, 06:27 PM
To be fair I am not, and have never been, a Stevenson fan. I think he demonstrates everything that is wrong with this club as people like him for trying as no-one else appears to give a toss on the pitch. The bottom line is that he isn't good enough can't pass, can't shoot, no very good at tackling and is tactically inept- but hey ho he is a good guy who is trying. You could probably say the same about Pat Fenlon. Doesn't mean we want him to stay.

Ahhh - Lewis is a trier who isn't good enough, rather than good enough but doesn't give a toss, so it's Lewis who is the problem at Hibs rather than the can't give a tossers? Interesting.

lapsedhibee
26-07-2013, 06:36 PM
Ahhh - Lewis is a trier who isn't good enough, rather than good enough but doesn't give a toss, so it's Lewis who is the problem at Hibs rather than the can't give a tossers? Interesting.

Think the point is that being a trier and being a good player are not mutually exclusive, and there's either no, or not enough, players at ER who have both attributes in sufficient quantity.

clerriehibs
26-07-2013, 06:39 PM
Think the point is that being a trier and being a good player are not mutually exclusive, and there's either no, or not enough, players at ER who have both attributes in sufficient quantity.

I agree. And first of all, I'd be looking at the couldn't give a tossers. You might win a game with triers - you won't win a game with couldn't give a tossers.

1875hibee
26-07-2013, 06:52 PM
Yes he is. Yes he does. Yes we are. But he is and always will be pish
I think that sums that up nicely then ha ha ha :flag:

Wotherspiniesta
26-07-2013, 07:10 PM
You could be describing any one of the players in our squad at the moment ANY one of them!

the managers see that he is a wholehearted player and gives his all, whats wrong with that? Why are you not asking why he doesnt see this in ALL our players then.

How could I be describing anyone else at the club? The point I made was that Stevenson has impressed new managers year upon year because of his ability to work hard and put a shift in. Who else could you say that about? I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that at all, I'm just giving a reason why he's lasted so long at Hibs.

Jonnyboy
26-07-2013, 08:27 PM
How could I be describing anyone else at the club? The point I made was that Stevenson has impressed new managers year upon year because of his ability to work hard and put a shift in. Who else could you say that about? I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that at all, I'm just giving a reason why he's lasted so long at Hibs.

Actually, you're not. You're giving your opinion on why he has lasted so long at Hibs.

What I'd like to know is, given our current squad, who would you play in his place?

Wotherspiniesta
26-07-2013, 08:35 PM
Actually, you're not. You're giving your opinion on why he has lasted so long at Hibs.

What I'd like to know is, given our current squad, who would you play in his place?

In his place? What is Lewis Stevenson's place exactly?

I see him as second choice left back, 3rd choice right back, and about 5th choice centre midfield. Hope that answers your question, Jonnyboy.

Jonnyboy
26-07-2013, 08:46 PM
In his place? What is Lewis Stevenson's place exactly?

I see him as second choice left back, 3rd choice right back, and about 5th choice centre midfield. Hope that answers your question, Jonnyboy.

It does partly as you've told me where you think he ranks. Who would you have played instead of him last night?

Wotherspiniesta
26-07-2013, 08:59 PM
It does partly as you've told me where you think he ranks. Who would you have played instead of him last night?

I'd have probably played him at LB since McGivern is out. Not good enough for me. Might not be popular, but wouldn't mind if we signed Danny Grainger as back up to McGivern.

Jonnyboy
26-07-2013, 09:20 PM
I'd have probably played him at LB since McGivern is out. Not good enough for me. Might not be popular, but wouldn't mind if we signed Danny Grainger as back up to McGivern.

Fair enough.

clerriehibs
26-07-2013, 09:49 PM

Can you just not be bothered answering Jonnyboy's question?

He asked "WHO" would you have played instead of Lewis at right back last night?

Judas Iscariot
26-07-2013, 09:55 PM

Fraser Mullen

Jordan Forster

Willie Miller...

Anyone other than LS

If Stevenson is starting or on the bench for Hibs, our team & squad is nowhere near good enough to progress

Wotherspiniesta
26-07-2013, 10:00 PM

Jonnyboy was happy enough with my answer, but I'll answer you... I'd have played MULLEN at right back last night.

blackpoolhibs
26-07-2013, 10:14 PM
I'd have started with Forster at right back yesterday, he has played that position before and Stevenson on the left.

Hanlon and McPake in the middle, but thats just me, 4 players who are comfortable in those positions. I'm no Pat Fenlon so what the hell do i know about the game?

monktonharp
26-07-2013, 11:28 PM

If you left at 1-0 or 2-0 and chucked your scarf away, how many times have you actually watched hibs? Were you really unaware of the gulf in class between Malmo and ourselves, did you not see us play in the last two cup finals? Manage your expectations and you won't need to leave in a rage next time.No, Stevenson is not a proff. fitba player. the 2007 thing, correct.thousands scunnered again and Iwas one, although a few will be back.Malmo ff are not a huge gulf in front of HFC, you just need to look at their previous opponents , Droheda. we had a particularly bad day at the office, and all of it was the manager's fault. empty him pronto! he has brought disgrace upon on our club, and continually saying "we need to learn from this". fenlon, bolt ya radge!

Stantons Angel
26-07-2013, 11:28 PM

AGAIN...... who would you have played instead of him from the existing pool of players, never mind dropping in a name of yet another player not good enough for Hibs.

Someone else posted if LS is on the bench it is not even good enough for him and shows we have no depth etc.......

Why then are you telling us something we already know!!!! Why are you not using some of the other positions and players in them to criticize instead of the usual whipping boy?

For Gawd's sake leave the laddie alone and let him get on with his job. I cant see you sitting reading crap and insult about you doing your job and being told your this that and everything. It would sap anyone's confidence having to read their name being singled out after every bad result the team gets!

Next week if you turn up and entertain those around you with this sort of wit and humor, have a look at the rest of the players performances and see just how bad some of them are too!!! Interestingly you dont seem to have seen any other "bad" performer last night!

Seekyit
26-07-2013, 11:57 PM
Without dissecting the entire thread, Lewis Stevenson is our longest serving player, player of the season 2011/12 - that says more about Hibs than it does about Lewis Stevenson.

Until such times that we have a squad strong enough that means he's surplus (or until his playing days are over) i agree with those who think he's a player to have in the squad.

Whatever happens, he is/will have been a good servant to Hibernian FC.

marleyhib
27-07-2013, 12:04 AM
Don't blame LS, blame Fenlon for playing a left footed journeyman at RB and that being our only option when Clancy was out most of last season and struggled when he came back.

Wotherspiniesta
27-07-2013, 12:41 AM
AGAIN...... who would you have played instead of him from the existing pool of players, never mind dropping in a name of yet another player not good enough for Hibs.

Someone else posted if LS is on the bench it is not even good enough for him and shows we have no depth etc.......

Why then are you telling us something we already know!!!! Why are you not using some of the other positions and players in them to criticize instead of the usual whipping boy?

For Gawd's sake leave the laddie alone and let him get on with his job. I cant see you sitting reading crap and insult about you doing your job and being told your this that and everything. It would sap anyone's confidence having to read their name being singled out after every bad result the team gets!

Next week if you turn up and entertain those around you with this sort of wit and humor, have a look at the rest of the players performances and see just how bad some of them are too!!! Interestingly you dont seem to have seen any other "bad" performer last night!

Just about fell off my chair reading this post.

Where to even begin?

Think I'll give you an answer when you're done drying the piss from your pants.

Stonewall
27-07-2013, 04:37 AM
Just about fell off my chair reading this post.

Where to even begin?

Think I'll give you an answer when you're done drying the piss from your pants.

Can we have a grown up answer to the post? I'm actually quite interested in you addressing the points made as it seems fair enough to me.

NGH
27-07-2013, 07:35 AM
The idea that Hibs problems are exemplified by Lewis Stevenson is ludicrous. We'll never know of course but perhaps if Stevenson had been given a consistent place and position in the team both the player and the team would be better off.

theonlywayisup
27-07-2013, 08:25 AM
Whilst he is a trier, he is not a fullback that I would want in my side. Compare him to Murphy and the gap is wide! Surely, we must have young guys who can play left back.

Brooster
27-07-2013, 08:33 AM
Fenlons first pick back line last season was (from l to r) McGivern Hanlon McPake Clancy. That was the back line which played up until November when we were top of the league. Injuries kicked in afterwards then players like Maybury and Stevenson came in and played on a regular basis.....this coincided with Hibs not winning many games. Its fair to say we're a weaker side with Stevenson in it. The back line for the last two games should've been Hanlon Forster Mcpake Mullen.....nobody majorly out of position, all perfectly aware of how to set up and Mullen capable of driving on, finding a pass and overlapping. There was no need to have Stevenson anywhere near the starting line up.

hibee_girl
27-07-2013, 09:06 AM
It seems we really are a one man team, we lose goals it's Stevenson's fault, we don't score goals, it's Stevenson's fault, folk played out of position, yep Stevenson's fault again!

J-C
27-07-2013, 09:17 AM
People on here keep harping on about Stevenson not being good enough for Hibs defence, maybe that's your problem, he's a midfielder. Yes he played in the cup win as a LB but it's not his natural position, he's one of the better tacklers in the midfield department and his distribution is better than most, maybe if managers like Fenlon and CC had not bought or brought in average midfielders and played Lewis there instead he'd be a better player. Unfortunately he's been tagged as a utility player, this has hampered his development in his natural and best position, midfield.

Stantons Angel
27-07-2013, 09:23 AM
Can we have a grown up answer to the post? I'm actually quite interested in you addressing the points made as it seems fair enough to me.

Thank you for this comment and your interest in his answers to my points. Thats exactly what they are too MY points of view and like you all i am entitled to them.

i love my club and i support them through thick and thin, i dont like singling out players for abuse but i will criticise if i think i have reason to.

This whole post started with the OP lashing out and picking a player he thinks isnt good enough for the team. Someone who has bore the brunt of many fans frustrations over the past few seasons. Fine as i say we all have out opinions and i respect that.

However is there a need from Thursdays game to single out Lewis? I will say again there was NOT one decent performance from any Hibs player in MY opinion! He shouldn't be the whipping boy for this debacle of a game.

Whether he is our longest player or has not lived up to his potential of 2007 has no bearing on how the TEAM played on Thursday. He was asked to do the same job as the rest of the team where but no one has come out and lashed at them the way this poster has at Lewis.

Mullen played against us last season and got injured in that game too. If my memory of that game is true then i can recall many a Hibs supporter belittling him and the way he played.

As for his stupid statement in his last post all i can say is "Well Done" !!!

Wotherspiniesta
27-07-2013, 11:57 AM
Thank you for this comment and your interest in his answers to my points. Thats exactly what they are too MY points of view and like you all i am entitled to them.

i love my club and i support them through thick and thin, i dont like singling out players for abuse but i will criticise if i think i have reason to.

This whole post started with the OP lashing out and picking a player he thinks isnt good enough for the team. Someone who has bore the brunt of many fans frustrations over the past few seasons. Fine as i say we all have out opinions and i respect that.

However is there a need from Thursdays game to single out Lewis? I will say again there was NOT one decent performance from any Hibs player in MY opinion! He shouldn't be the whipping boy for this debacle of a game.

Whether he is our longest player or has not lived up to his potential of 2007 has no bearing on how the TEAM played on Thursday. He was asked to do the same job as the rest of the team where but no one has come out and lashed at them the way this poster has at Lewis.

Mullen played against us last season and got injured in that game too. If my memory of that game is true then i can recall many a Hibs supporter belittling him and the way he played.

As for his stupid statement in his last post all i can say is "Well Done" !!!

Are you talking about me? Or the OP? The reason I gave the response I did was because I think you're being particularily sensitive to MY remarks about Stevenson. I wasn't the one that started the thread and certainly wasn't the one questioning wether or not Stevenson is a professional footballer! I gave my opinion why Stevenson has lasted so long at the club and also said I dont think he's good enough for Hibs.

The thread is about Lewis Stevenson and I'm giving my opinion on Lewis Stevenson :rolleyes:. I'm not singling him out for abuse, the whole team and coaching staff should be thorougly embarassed by that shambles on Thursday.

As for the poster asking me to give an honest answer.... if you read his post again its nonsensical, oversensitive drivel; which is why I treated it as such. There were no real valid points to address, but hopefully I've cleared everything up for you. :aok:

Scottie
27-07-2013, 12:09 PM
People on here keep harping on about Stevenson not being good enough for Hibs defence, maybe that's your problem, he's a midfielder. Yes he played in the cup win as a LB but it's not his natural position, he's one of the better tacklers in the midfield department and his distribution is better than most, maybe if managers like Fenlon and CC had not bought or brought in average midfielders and played Lewis there instead he'd be a better player. Unfortunately he's been tagged as a utility player, this has hampered his development in his natural and best position, midfield.

Can't disagree with anything you've posted here

When you think of some of the numpties weve had play for us in midfield its baffling to think LS has been adopted as our utility man.Play the lad in his natural position and we might find out what the lads all about.Good,bad or ***** judge the lad then.

Jonnyboy
27-07-2013, 12:15 PM
Are you talking about me? Or the OP? The reason I gave the response I did was because I think you're being particularily sensitive to MY remarks about Stevenson. I wasn't the one that started the thread and certainly wasn't the one questioning wether or not Stevenson is a professional footballer! I gave my opinion why Stevenson has lasted so long at the club and also said I dont think he's good enough for Hibs.

The thread is about Lewis Stevenson and I'm giving my opinion on Lewis Stevenson :rolleyes:. I'm not singling him out for abuse, the whole team and coaching staff should be thorougly embarassed by that shambles on Thursday.

As for the poster asking me to give an honest answer.... if you read his post again its nonsensical, oversensitive drivel; which is why I treated it as such. There were no real valid points to address, but hopefully I've cleared everything up for you. :aok:

I reckon Spoony leaving had had a detrimental effect on you :greengrin

I used to admire the way you defended Spoony; argued that those who said he didn't have it were not seeing what you could clearly see; stuck to your guns in defending him.

It leaves me wondering why you've decided to trash Stevenson. The laddie is better than most folk think, in my opinion.

The whole 'we need better if we are to progress' argument just baffles me. Of course we do but not just better than Lewis, better than the majority of our team. It isn't going to happen anytime soon so surely we should just accept he's what we've got and start supporting him. After all, he plays for Hibs and we support Hibs. Not such a big leap really.

BTW, I was with you on the Spoony defence :agree:

Zazu62
27-07-2013, 12:15 PM
Fenlons first pick back line last season was (from l to r) McGivern Hanlon McPake Clancy. That was the back line which played up until November when we were top of the league. Injuries kicked in afterwards then players like Maybury and Stevenson came in and played on a regular basis.....this coincided with Hibs not winning many games. Its fair to say we're a weaker side with Stevenson in it. The back line for the last two games should've been Hanlon Forster Mcpake Mullen.....nobody majorly out of position, all perfectly aware of how to set up and Mullen capable of driving on, finding a pass and overlapping. There was no need to have Stevenson anywhere near the starting line up.

Just out of interest when was the last time these 4 played together?

Jonnyboy
27-07-2013, 12:18 PM

S, that's the back four that played against Falkirk and got ripped to shreds by a bunch of young laddies!

Also, against Malmo at ER when Mullen and Stevenson were playing right and left back, which of those two got down the line and provided excellent crosses?

Bob Box Fish
27-07-2013, 12:25 PM
I'm not a Stevenson fan but thought he played well as a squad player in the latter part of last season.

The blame for his performance at rb should be channelled towards paddy!

GreenPJ
27-07-2013, 12:36 PM
I'd have started with Forster at right back yesterday, he has played that position before and Stevenson on the left.

Hanlon and McPake in the middle, but thats just me, 4 players who are comfortable in those positions. I'm no Pat Fenlon so what the hell do i know about the game?

Stevenson has a lot more pace than Forster and he was getting roasted by the number 29 so don't see how that would have made any difference. The worst player on the night Harris, gave no support at all to whoever was right back and sadly also did nothing with the ball. As an aside am convinced Harris was never fit and also has all the pressure on his shoulders as being the one that the team, manager and fans are looking for to create something so its not a dig but any fullback needs the support of their midfield and that was not happening.

jdships
27-07-2013, 01:07 PM
The OP has , for whatever reason decided to pick on LS before the season has even started - amazing !!
Suggest when he's done with Lewis he turns to McPake as he is , IMO, a far worse "culprit " than LS
" His limitations are there for all to see and at his age can't see him improving ! " as an ex Hibs player commented to me this morning
:confused:

Brooster
27-07-2013, 01:11 PM
S, that's the back four that played against Falkirk and got ripped to shreds by a bunch of young laddies!

Also, against Malmo at ER when Mullen and Stevenson were playing right and left back, which of those two got down the line and provided excellent crosses?

I know that J. Im just stating facts. On Thursday Mullen was getting forward, passing and moving, probing.....he looked like a player....Lewis didn't. Just my opinion of course.

number 27
27-07-2013, 01:19 PM
I know that J. Im just stating facts. On Thursday Mullen was getting forward, passing and moving, probing.....he looked like a player....Lewis didn't. Just my opinion of course.

Mullen may have looked a player but did he look like a full back? I don't think he won a tackle all night and spent most of the game looking around in a panic wondering where the winger went. For me mullen may be a better all round player eventually but if we are going to have to defend against decent wide men then he isn't the answer at the moment.

Wotherspiniesta
27-07-2013, 01:34 PM
I reckon Spoony leaving had had a detrimental effect on you :greengrin

I used to admire the way you defended Spoony; argued that those who said he didn't have it were not seeing what you could clearly see; stuck to your guns in defending him.

It leaves me wondering why you've decided to trash Stevenson. The laddie is better than most folk think, in my opinion.

The whole 'we need better if we are to progress' argument just baffles me. Of course we do but not just better than Lewis, better than the majority of our team. It isn't going to happen anytime soon so surely we should just accept he's what we've got and start supporting him. After all, he plays for Hibs and we support Hibs. Not such a big leap really.

BTW, I was with you on the Spoony defence :agree:

Aye, I know you defended me re Spoony, Jonny. I appreciate that, but I've just never seen what you and some other see in Lewis.

I've not "trashed" Stevenson like certain others on this thread have. I'm just of the opinion that we should be looking for better. Lewis is a good honest pro who gives 100% and its a credit to him that he's played for us for so many years. In terms of his footballing ability though, I just don't see it.

Like I said, he's not one I could see coming back to haunt us should he leave.

blackpoolhibs
27-07-2013, 02:03 PM

That is all well and good John, when you have a good target man to aim for. Although its a british thing again, we seem to want players to get down the line and whip crosses in.

How many times did Malmo get down the line and whip crosses in, or to take it to the extreme Barca or Madrid or even Bayern?

They dont do it, they play the ball into players with give and goes. Maybe its just me, but we look to have gone backwards, and this lump up the park has gone on for far too long.

Getting to the bye line and whipping crosses in is so 1980s, it can still work in the SPFL but is it the way forward, i dont think so.

Fenlons team does not know how to play football on the deck, whatever 4 we pick at the back lump the ball over the top because they are not good enough to play the ball through the midfield, who again are not great either.

Instead of learning we are going backwards under this manager, and to be fair the previous ones too.

I'm pissed off with this football club.

Spike Mandela
27-07-2013, 02:12 PM
That is all well and good John, when you have a good target man to aim for. Although its a british thing again, we seem to want players to get down the line and whip crosses in.

How many times did Malmo get down the line and whip crosses in, or to take it to the extreme Barca or Madrid or even Bayern?

They dont do it, they play the ball into players with give and goes. Maybe its just me, but we look to have gone backwards, and this lump up the park has gone on for far too long.

Getting to the bye line and whipping crosses in is so 1980s, it can still work in the SPFL but is it the way forward, i dont think so.

Fenlons team does not know how to play football on the deck, whatever 4 we pick at the back lump the ball over the top because they are not good enough to play the ball through the midfield, who again are not great either.

Instead of learning we are going backwards under this manager, and to be fair the previous ones too.

A central midfield player with skill, vision, assists and creativity has been the top priority at this club for a few years and we just can't seem to find one. Seem to have no trouble unearthing defensive plodders though unfortunately.

blackpoolhibs
27-07-2013, 02:16 PM
A central midfield player with skill, vision, assists and creativity has been the top priority at this club for a few years and we just can't seem to find one. Seem to have no trouble unearthing defensive plodders though unfortunately.

Oh for a Latapy eh. I have high hopes for Harris, in the SPL he proved in his short spell so far he can beat a man, and pick players out when attacking the box.

But as you say our defense are poor in possession, and clean sheets look to be something we wont see much of this season coming imo.

Jonnyboy
27-07-2013, 03:27 PM
Aye, I know you defended me re Spoony, Jonny. I appreciate that, but I've just never seen what you and some other see in Lewis.

I've not "trashed" Stevenson like certain others on this thread have. I'm just of the opinion that we should be looking for better. Lewis is a good honest pro who gives 100% and its a credit to him that he's played for us for so many years. In terms of his footballing ability though, I just don't see it.

Like I said, he's not one I could see coming back to haunt us should he leave.

:aok:

Agreed, my use of the word trashed was unfair when pointed at you

What I was clumsily trying to say, and this is not aimed at you, is that opinions about players are fine, we're all entitled to them. I just dislike it, not aimed at you, when folk start the personal stuff

Jonnyboy
27-07-2013, 03:33 PM

Should suit you, what with your passion for flared trousers :greengrin

I understand what you're saying but I used that example of him trying to deliver the ball into the danger area.

silverhibee
27-07-2013, 03:37 PM
Says it how it was on Thursday night.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/humiliated-hibs-players-couldnt-look-2094805

blackpoolhibs
27-07-2013, 03:41 PM
Should suit you, what with your passion for flared trousers :greengrin

I understand what you're saying but I used that example of him trying to deliver the ball into the danger area.

I know that john, it was not a criticism of you John it was an observation of what you said, and another point someone was making about Gary Deegan on another thread. I mean FFS bring back Deegan :faf::faf:

Its the british way to kick our way out of trouble, or put aimless high balls into the box or up the park for forwards to chase thats annoying the hell out of me this week John. :greengrin

There are some weeks during a season when i hate everything about Hibs and what they are trying to do, and wished i had never heard of the bloody game of football. :boo hoo:

Tyler Durden
27-07-2013, 04:02 PM

BH, I appreciate you're in the mood to question every aspect of Hibs approach and more generally the British way, but the bit in bold is just wrong.

Using width and players hitting the byeline is still one of the best tactics in modern football. Malmo did it several times, including the second half goal (the non keeper blunder).

Bayern base a lot of their play around that, particularly the left back Alaba getting to the line and picking a cross. Not necessarily a high cross, granted.

I actually thought Mullens performance was the only positive on Thursday, looked composed on the ball and played with his head up.

Across world football people are converting wingers into full backs. It seems that cos our defence has been so bad for years Fenlon has understandably went for defence first full backs. Our overall lack of pace is shocking and he's done nothing to counter that - other than introduce Harris, a player already on the books.

Anyway, hopefully McGivern and Mullen can be effective at providing attacking width this year but the manager has to use tactics that prioritise that.

blackpoolhibs
27-07-2013, 04:24 PM
BH, I appreciate you're in the mood to question every aspect of Hibs approach and more generally the British way, but the bit in bold is just wrong.

Using width and players hitting the byeline is still one of the best tactics in modern football. Malmo did it several times, including the second half goal (the non keeper blunder).

Bayern base a lot of their play around that, particularly the left back Alaba getting to the line and picking a cross. Not necessarily a high cross, granted.

I actually thought Mullens performance was the only positive on Thursday, looked composed on the ball and played with his head up.

Across world football people are converting wingers into full backs. It seems that cos our defence has been so bad for years Fenlon has understandably went for defence first full backs. Our overall lack of pace is shocking and he's done nothing to counter that - other than introduce Harris, a player already on the books.

Anyway, hopefully McGivern and Mullen can be effective at providing attacking width this year but the manager has to use tactics that prioritise that.

I disagree, what these teams do is pass and pass and pass UNTIL they create that opening so their wide players can get into a position where they can PICK a player out in the final third of the pitch. We on the other hand, pass it between the back 4 or maybe even bring Thomson into it, who then passes it back to one of the defenders, who then launches it in a diagonal punt towards either wing.

We then get all excited when the wide man sometimes gets the ball and runs full pelt forward and swings an aimless ball into the middle.

Thats nothing like the teams i quoted above do. And Malmo attacked us at pace, with one and two touch football to carve us open. Even the wide men when getting forward had a purpose and a pass, we rarely do.

Stantons Angel
27-07-2013, 04:36 PM

Granted the thread was not started by you but you jumped on the bandwagon to slate one player who "in your opinion" is not good enough for Hibs.

Then at last you point out that the whole team should be held responsible for the debacle we had to sit through on Thursday. This is exactly what i was trying to get you to look at, the whole team and not just one player........... the whole team were awful!!!

As we both have said these are our opinions and whether they are right or wrong in others eyes is open to yet another debate.

A word of advice though, when you get into a debate about a footballer/team and when you attack such footballer/team please remember that others too have a right to contradict your opinions . After all drivel is spoken by more than a few and because ideas and opinions differ doesnt make the poster oversensitive nor nonsensical. After all they are only answering what they may think is drivel from you too.

As far as i am concerned you lost a lot of credibility when you lowered the tone of the conversations in a previous post.

Now instead of Lewis bashing can we get on with supporting our team, the league starts next week so lets concentrate on that and get behind the HIBS!

Tyler Durden
27-07-2013, 04:51 PM
I disagree, what these teams do is pass and pass and pass UNTIL they create that opening so their wide players can get into a position where they can PICK a player out in the final third of the pitch. We on the other hand, pass it between the back 4 or maybe even bring Thomson into it, who then passes it back to one of the defenders, who then launches it in a diagonal punt towards either wing.

We then get all excited when the wide man sometimes gets the ball and runs full pelt forward and swings an aimless ball into the middle.

Thats nothing like the teams i quoted above do. And Malmo attacked us at pace, with one and two touch football to carve us open. Even the wide men when getting forward had a purpose and a pass, we rarely do.

I agree with all that.

I was disagreeing that getting to the line is no longer important. I do agree that it's all about how u get there. In the days of Boozy etc we had that knack but yeah now Hanlon attempts a crossfield punt 10 times a game.

I don't think we need a foreign boss to get back to Mowbray type football though. Just a manager with that ethos who can inspire players. I'm not advocating Shiels coming in but he achieved that style at Killie as did Mixu. Lennon isn't that different at St Mirren.

Fenlon doesn't seem interested in developing any discernible style of play.

Wotherspiniesta
27-07-2013, 04:58 PM
Granted the thread was not started by you but you jumped on the bandwagon to slate one player who "in your opinion" is not good enough for Hibs.

Then at last you point out that the whole team should be held responsible for the debacle we had to sit through on Thursday. This is exactly what i was trying to get you to look at, the whole team and not just one player........... the whole team were awful!!!

As we both have said these are our opinions and whether they are right or wrong in others eyes is open to yet another debate.

A word of advice though, when you get into a debate about a footballer/team and when you attack such footballer/team please remember that others too have a right to contradict your opinions . After all drivel is spoken by more than a few and because ideas and opinions differ doesnt make the poster oversensitive nor nonsensical. After all they are only answering what they may think is drivel from you too.

As far as i am concerned you lost a lot of credibility when you lowered the tone of the conversations in a previous post.

Now instead of Lewis bashing can we get on with supporting our team, the league starts next week so lets concentrate on that and get behind the HIBS!

I'm very much aware that we've all got different opinions on different players. I'm not having a go at anyone defending him, because with Lewis' work ethic it's not a surprise he does have admirers.

The reason I lowered the tone with my post was because of the fact that you twice singled me out as single handedly having a go at him, when there's probably about 30 other posts deriding the player a whole lot worse than I did.

Anyway, I dont want to keep repeating myself, so I'll leave it at that.

blackpoolhibs
27-07-2013, 05:10 PM
I agree with all that.

I was disagreeing that getting to the line is no longer important. I do agree that it's all about how u get there. In the days of Boozy etc we had that knack but yeah now Hanlon attempts a crossfield punt 10 times a game.

I don't think we need a foreign boss to get back to Mowbray type football though. Just a manager with that ethos who can inspire players. I'm not advocating Shiels coming in but he achieved that style at Killie as did Mixu. Lennon isn't that different at St Mirren.

Fenlon doesn't seem interested in developing any discernible style of play.

Yip we disagree again.:wink: I'd punt Fenlon now and bring in a foreign coach who has had the right way of playing football instilled in him from birth. He'd also know the foreign markets a lot better than the usual brain dead lump it ones in this country.

Saying all this, its easy for me to say this, i don't have to implement it. Although someone at a the club should be thinking of a different way, maybe something along these lines, as their current plan is about as far away from fruition as me bedding Cheryl Cole.

Jonnyboy
27-07-2013, 05:12 PM
Yip we disagree again.:wink: I'd punt Fenlon now and bring in a foreign coach who has had the right way of playing football instilled in him from birth. He'd also know the foreign markets a lot better than the usual brain dead lump it ones in this country.

Saying all this, its easy for me to say this, i don't have to implement it. Although someone at a the club should be thinking of a different way, maybe something along these lines, as their current plan is about as far away from fruition as me getting my Cheryl Cole.

Fixed that for you G :thumbsup:

blackpoolhibs
27-07-2013, 05:14 PM
Fixed that for you G :thumbsup:

:greengrin I could have had any of them swedish birds, if only i didn't have to look after Moray all night? :thumbsup:

Jonnyboy
27-07-2013, 05:19 PM
:greengrin I could have had any of them swedish birds, if only i didn't have to look after Moray all night? :thumbsup:

Aye ye had yer hands full right enough :greengrin

Moon unit
27-07-2013, 05:30 PM

Never keen on singling out ANY individual in a pish poor team performance....the problem for me is that we feel pain after all the big games in recent years when Hibs did not turn up, I don't believe that the Hibs setup (board , directors , players ) give a monkeys!

Hero76
27-07-2013, 10:06 PM
Lewis is murder, I know Ive seen him play now for years.

Mullen in the short time I seen him looked like a rabbit caught in the headlights but what a **** game to get thrown into but he was miles of the pace.

Devilstorment
28-07-2013, 09:37 AM
Stevenson can play as a LB, he has proven in my opinion that he has the quality to do a job for us, he can put in a tackle and has an engine that means he isn't exposed come the later stages of a match, he can also (admittedly limitedly) get forward and support an attack.

Playing him as a RB is lunacy from Pat Fenlon's part, he was dire in the first leg and dire in the second leg. As a separate story however i think its a joke how few of our (our being British) players can play with 2 feet.

He cant really play as a midfielder as he cant shoot, and his passing is sometimes poor. However i think when we need to be playing a more defensive game then he can help bolster a midfield with defensive presence, when we should be going for the jugular.... get him out of there.

In terms of folk attacking his professionalism, these idiots can beat it. Just a clueless attack on the lad's character. Never once have i been aware of him being out on the razz and making a fool of himself.

In terms, he is a good hibs player that deserves to be at our club.

StevesFamau5
28-07-2013, 09:53 AM
It seems we really are a one man team, we lose goals it's Stevenson's fault, we don't score goals, it's Stevenson's fault, folk played out of position, yep Stevenson's fault again!

This is my point exactly. But I got yelled at by someone who's football knowledge clearly surpasses mine due to his experience playing football manager and occasional trips to betting shops..
What I would love to know is how is Lewis being hibs longest serving player at this current time say more about hibs ambition? That bit amuses me. The floor is yours captain negativity and the boo boys :/

Baldy Foghorn
28-07-2013, 02:17 PM
LS certainly gets made the scapegoat for anything that goes wrong during games:rolleyes:......I've read so many times that he is not good enough for Hibs, and we must have better players if we want to improve......

From what I saw on Thursday all player's were at fault, and the "tactics and set-up" from PF were questionable....Team game, and everyone in a green jersey let all connected with the club down on Thursday......

Bobby's Cinema
11-08-2013, 02:32 PM
Pat simply does not, will not learn. It beggars belief for me. Particularly on the back of both Malmo games. Lewis does not get a new contract, he's had well well more than a fair crack of the whip

allezsauzee
11-08-2013, 02:34 PM
It's not Lewis's fault that the manager played him at right back!

Bobby's Cinema
11-08-2013, 02:35 PM

Did you think he was any better at LB?

blackpoolhibs
11-08-2013, 02:36 PM

You are right, but it still does not make it right, and it still will never work. :confused:

MSK
11-08-2013, 02:37 PM
Pat simply does not, will not learn. It beggars belief for me. Particularly on the back of both Malmo games. Lewis does not get a new contract, he's had well well more than a fair crack of the whipAre you blaming Pat or Lewis ? ..Stevenson whilst not brilliant didn't do too badly overall ..how about putting the boot into the two hibs players on the LEFT who were ripped apart allowing the yam to send in a cross that Nelson was nowhere near ..:confused:

JollyGreenGiant
11-08-2013, 02:38 PM
He should never play for us again, he is a loser! He is not a RB, LB or a Midfielder! He can't tackle, he can't pass, he is too small to win a header, I just don't see what he offers the team!

Scònaldò
11-08-2013, 02:39 PM
Did you think he was any better at LB?

Did Mullen get a knock?

If not, surely a straight swap Stevenson off for McGivern would have sufficed?

OrdHibby
11-08-2013, 02:40 PM
Lewis Stevenson IS GARBAGE.

He was actually worse in the first half at left back. He epitomises what is wrong at the club. We actually had a few passing movements in the second half due to McGivern's willingness to sprint out of defence and get us up the park. This never happened once in the first half because Stevenson is the most negative player i have ever seen in my life.

He's another who should go with the manager and chairman.

Bobby's Cinema
11-08-2013, 02:41 PM
Are you blaming Pat or Lewis ? ..Stevenson whilst not brilliant didn't do too badly overall ..how about putting the boot into the two hibs players on the LEFT who were ripped apart allowing the yam to send in a cross that Nelson was nowhere near ..:confused:
I've tried to make two points at once.
1) It is unbelievable to me that Pat would play him at RB after his performances there recently. He doesn't learn. He must go.
2) Stevenson is not good enough. Whether on his natural position or this daft one he is forced to play.

matty_f
11-08-2013, 02:42 PM
You are right, but it still does not make it right, and it still will never work. :confused:

If I owned a cat it would have got booted when Fenlon made that change. Take off a natural right sided defender and stick Lewis over on the right when we've seen time and time again that he's not up to it there. Ironically the goal came down the left hand side but that shouldn't detract from the fact that it was a baffling decision to make. We've got Mullen and Maybury at the club who are right backs. The Pat Fenlon position lottery strikes again.

No blame attached to Lewis, though, he can only play where he's told to.

Bobby's Cinema
11-08-2013, 02:44 PM
Did Mullen get a knock?

If not, surely a straight swap Stevenson off for McGivern would have sufficed?
mate of mine seemed to think it was because Mullen was already booked. Surely not worth such a reshuffle at only HT if this was the case

MSK
11-08-2013, 02:44 PM
I've tried to make two points at once.
1) It is unbelievable to me that Pat would play him at RB after his performances there recently. He doesn't learn. He must go.
2) Stevenson is not good enough. Whether on his natural position or this daft one he is forced to play.Oh right ..apologies ..so you are just starting at Lewis then going through the rest of the team, ye know, Craig on the left, Vine on the right etc .. ..:aok:

HoboHarry
11-08-2013, 02:47 PM

He was actually worse in the first half at left back. He epitomises what is wrong at the club. We actually had a few passing movements in the second half due to McGivern's willingness to sprint out of defence and get us up the park. This never happened once in the first half because Stevenson is the most negative player i have ever seen in my life.

I hope that i the morning - I assume when the alcohol has worn off - you are embarrassed by the stupidity of your post. LS has never been garbage - simply an east target for drama queens like you. Had he left us in the summer he would still be playing in the top division just like David Wotherspoon is.

hibbymick
On that showing theres more players than stevenson should be shown the door.

patch1875
McGivern was decent when he came on, he should have started

Boyle89
Its like PF is taking the piss out of us. "Bet you thought I wouldn't do this again!!!"

judas
11-08-2013, 02:48 PM
Pat simply does not, will not learn. It beggars belief for me. Particularly on the back of both Malmo games. Lewis does not get a new contract, he's had well well more than a fair crack of the whip

The boy is and has always been murder - with a 1 game exception.

He epitomises the level that at least 30% of hibs fans have come to accept.

Bobby's Cinema
I hope that i the morning - I assume when the alcohol has worn off - you are embarrassed by the stupidity of your post. LS has never been garbage - simply an east target for drama queens like you. Had he left us in the summer he would still be playing in the top division just like David Wotherspoon is.

He offers very very little

hibbymick

Is that you Lewis ?

Zazu62
11-08-2013, 02:50 PM
He's bad but so are the rest of them

Onion

Totally agree with this. OTJ was dreadful and looks like a dud even amongst our other duds, but Stevenson was IMHO Hearts MOTM and epitomises EVERYTHING that is wrong at Hibs - crap, negative, apologetic (for every mistake), self deprecating, loser mentality, accommodated. His non-performance and whole approach to the game in the first half was an embarrassment to the Hibs jersey and he should go with Fenlon & Petrie.

allezsauzee
Stevenson is one of our better players. If he isn't good enough then that applies to most of the current squad

HoboHarry
11-08-2013, 02:51 PM
Is that you Lewis ?
Not at all - just tired of the usual Lewis bashing. Our problems lie elsewhere...

OrdHibby
11-08-2013, 02:51 PM

I'm stone cold sober. I know Hibs turn many to drink but i got out before i ended up in the Andrew Duncan. Stevenson is garbage and its time folk stopped accepting mediocre crap like this. He can't even take a throw in. He gives 100% every game but its 100%

MSK
11-08-2013, 02:59 PM
I'm stone cold sober. I know Hibs turn many to drink but i got out before i ended up in the Andrew Duncan. Stevenson is garbage and its time folk stopped accepting mediocre crap like this. He can't even take a throw in. He gives 100% every game but its 100%Does he honestly deserve this abuse ..ffs ..he wasn't the worst player on the park today was he !! have a ****ing word wi yersel ..:no way:

OrdHibby
11-08-2013, 03:01 PM
Does he honestly deserve this abuse ..ffs ..he wasn't the worst player on the park today was he !! have a ****ing word wi yersel ..:no way:

He was his usual self.....GARBAGE. Sorry but i didn't start this thread but i do feel the need to reply. Looks like i'm not the only one who see's the light. Take the 2007 cup final glasses off :aok:

MSK
11-08-2013, 03:05 PM
He was his usual self.....GARBAGE. Sorry but i didn't start this thread but i do feel the need to reply. Looks like i'm not the only one who see's the light. Take the 2007 cup final glasses off :aok:A few hibs players were garbage today, Lewis didn't do too much wrong, plenty effort from him, more than can be said for others ..but hey ..its the norm for Lewis tae get the boot on here..crack on if it gies ye cheap thrills ..

OrdHibby
11-08-2013, 03:07 PM
10 hibs players were garbage today ..but hey ..its the norm for Lewis tae get the boot ..crack on if it gies ye cheap thrills ..

Read the thread title, its about Lewis Stevenson. i know there were few pass marks from others today. Don't we all :fuming:

PatHead
11-08-2013, 03:08 PM
I am with ORD on this one. If Stevenson is good enough for our team it says more about the team than Stevenson. He just isn't good enough. A lot of folk say he should play in his best position. Unfortunately I haven't got a clue what that is. He can't pass, head, shoot or score goals. Every time he gets the ball his first reaction is to turn around. Apart from his enthusiasm he rarely ever contributes anything to a game. To be fair on him he never hides and that is maybe why he highlights his own limitations. Nice guy but not a winner. For all the Stevenson defenders I would ask- Is he the standard of player you want at Easter Road, basically a workman player? Personally I want more.

PatHead
11-08-2013, 03:10 PM
Not at all - just tired of the usual Lewis bashing. Our problems lie elsewhere...

As I mentioned earlier. Stevenson sums up everything that is wrong with this club. Too nice with very limited ambitions on the park.

Bobby's Cinema
11-08-2013, 03:10 PM
I am with ORD on this one. If Stevenson is good enough for our team it says more about the team than Stevenson. He just isn't good enough. A lot of folk say he should play in his best position. Unfortunately I haven't got a clue what that is. He can't pass, head, shoot or score goals. Every time he gets the ball his first reaction is to turn around. Apart from his enthusiasm he rarely ever contributes anything to a game. To be fair on him he never hides and that is maybe why he highlights his own limitations. Nice guy but not a winner. For all the Stevenson defenders I would ask- Is he the standard of player you want at Easter Road, basically a workman player? Personally I want more.
spot on

HFC 0-7
11-08-2013, 03:11 PM
Stevenson had a bad game today but why he gets quite as much flack when others were even worse. Robertson was mince today and seems to be escaping criticism. Stevenson is a decent squad player not a player that should be played in all the positions that isn't his favoured. Last season Stevenson had some mom performances whilst playing out of position.

Jones, Robertson, Craig and vine were honking today as well yet escape critcism. If you play 5 central midfielders then your full backs will have a hard time as they get zero protection.

DaveF
11-08-2013, 03:12 PM
Stevenson at RB is a **** up of monumental proportions and clearly Fenlon is ripping the piss in playing him there. I feel sorry for Stevenson in having to do that role when in actual fact he should have booted Fenlon square in the knackers for asking him to do so.

MSK
Read the thread title, its about Lewis Stevenson. i know there were few pass marks from others today. Don't we all :fuming:Ive read the thread title ..he played left back & got moved tae right back ..so why is that Stevensons fault & what exactly did he do wrong in this game to merit the abuse by you ?

OrdHibby
Stevenson had a bad game today but why he gets quite as much flack when others were even worse. Robertson was mince today and seems to be escaping criticism. Stevenson is a decent squad player not a player that should be played in all the positions that isn't his favoured. Last season Stevenson had some mom performances whilst playing out of position.

Jones, Robertson, Craig and vine were honking today as well yet escape critcism. If you play 5 central midfielders then your full backs will have a hard time as they get zero protection.

Did he :confused: when

OrdHibby
11-08-2013, 03:13 PM
Ive read the thread title ..he played left back & got moved tae right back ..so why is that Stevensons fault & what exactly did he do wrong in this game to merit the abuse by you ?

cause he's :aok:

Hedlund12
11-08-2013, 03:15 PM

Posts like this and the abuse Lewis took at the game really hacks me off. Lewis tried hard today and plays for the jersey. He got more of the ball than many other players (and granted makes some mistakes) but he gives 100% all the time. If we had the same commitment from the rest of the team then we'd maybe have picked up a point today... as other posters say not his fault either he gets played out of position.. ADMIN... I hope you remove the original post...

Hiber-nation
11-08-2013, 03:16 PM
Yes Lewis at RB is utterly ridiculous and probably a sackable offence on its own.

However, although I've backed Lewis countless times on here, today was probably his worst game in a Hibs jersey, both at LB and RB. That's not singling him out, others were just as bad but the thread's about LS and he like the others should be able to take the flak.

Hiber-nation
11-08-2013, 03:17 PM
cause he's :aok:

And you are probably the worst poster on this board.

HFC 0-7
11-08-2013, 03:17 PM

He isn't a first team starter for me, but I would question other players before him. He is very rarely the worst player on the park IMO, but as other players will have the odd good game they escape the flack. We know what we get with Stevenson, no frills etc. other players are honking for a good few games yet we say they need time. They get the time and nothing changes. I think everyone would want better players than Stevenson but IMO he isn't our worst, so why not we get shot of our worst first?

I think we should be looking at the manager who decides to keep buying central midfielders and neglects other positions causing players to be played out of position.

mmmmhibby
11-08-2013, 03:29 PM
lewis stevenson should really be playing for Linlithgow Rose.

PatHead
11-08-2013, 03:30 PM
Posts like this and the abuse Lewis took at the game really hacks me off. Lewis tried hard today and plays for the jersey. He got more of the ball than many other players (and granted makes some mistakes) but he gives 100% all the time. If we had the same commitment from the rest of the team then we'd maybe have picked up a point today... as other posters say not his fault either he gets played out of position.. ADMIN... I hope you remove the original post...

Do you believe he is a good enough player to be in the Hibs first team year after year?

OrdHibby
11-08-2013, 03:32 PM

Goin' tell me where the abuse is. Unless i am directing this to him as a poster on here then how is it abuse when i'm stating facts. Would you much prefer me to say 'he's not very good'. I haven't called him a little scrotum or a little prick or anything abusive so please think before you post. Its about opinions and i happen to think he's garbage. :rolleyes:

p.s i'm sure every single one of us would give 100% for the jersey. Facts are we're on here cause we ain't good enough and neither is he.

blackpoolhibs
11-08-2013, 03:33 PM
Stevenson really only made 1 mistake today, but him playing right back unbalances the side terribly. He has to cut inside all the time to use his left foot.

Mullen was taken off apparently because he was booked, as was Roberstson. FFS has this become a new rule, anyone booked comes off because they MIGHT get sent off?

Caution caution caution, Fenlons middle name. :rolleyes:

PJ IronHIbee
11-08-2013, 03:35 PM
Left Back ( in the changing room ) :confused:

Hedlund12
11-08-2013, 03:42 PM
Do you believe he is a good enough player to be in the Hibs first team year after year?

Based on what we have in the squad just now..yes I do. There were players out there today who IMO did not get a sniff! And I hear no abuse being directed at them! Pat Fenlon receiving it I can understand due to tactics etc but I personally feel that Lewis is unjustifiably the Boo boy... just my opinion.

HoboHarry
11-08-2013, 03:43 PM
Goin' tell me where the abuse is. Unless i am directing this to him as a poster on here then how is it abuse when i'm stating facts. Would you much prefer me to say 'he's not very good'. I haven't called him a little scrotum or a little prick or anything abusive so please think before you post. Its about opinions and i happen to think he's garbage. :rolleyes:

p.s i'm sure every single one of us would give 100% for the jersey. Facts are we're on here cause we ain't good enough and neither is he.
I really do think you could help yourself by thinking before you post. You stated earlier that LS is garbage. That is abuse, not to mention factually incorrect. In your first sentence of the post above you stated it was a fact and in the second you stated that it was an opinion. Had you stated that he isn't very good then that would have been am opinion. You really do appear to be very confused and are coming across as an intellectual lightweight.

Scottie
11-08-2013, 03:46 PM
Based on what we have in the squad just now..yes I do. There were players out there today who IMO did not get a sniff! And I hear no abuse being directed at them! Pat Fenlon receiving it I can understand due to tactics etc but I personally feel that Lewis is unjustifiably the Boo boy... just my opinion.

Taken over from David Wotherspoon :rolleyes:

Play the lad in his midfield position and you might see the player we all seen 5 years ago

Maybe the last 5 managers haven't all been wrong though :cb

Onion
11-08-2013, 03:48 PM
Yes Lewis at RB is utterly ridiculous and probably a sackable offence on its own.

However, although I've backed Lewis countless times on here, today was probably his worst game in a Hibs jersey, both at LB and RB. That's not singling him out, others were just as bad but the thread's about LS and he like the others should be able to take the flak.

Maybe Fenlon's no as daft as we think :wink: Sadly, Petrie probably is :rolleyes:

PatHead
11-08-2013, 03:51 PM

May be I am not making myself clear. What I am trying to say is that I don't think he is good enough for the team. I personally am not a fan of his but if he played for St Mirren, Killie etc would you want us to sign him? Should we not be setting our sights higher? He should not be near Easter Road and highlights what is wrong with us just now.

Onion
11-08-2013, 03:53 PM
Taken over from David Wotherspoon :rolleyes:

Play the lad in his midfield position and you might see the player we all seen 5 years ago

Maybe the last 5 managers haven't all been wrong though :cb

You could not make one decent manager out of our last 5 managers who have all failed miserably at being managers. Maybe the fact they thought LS was good enough for a regular place at Hibs says it all.

Judas Iscariot
11-08-2013, 04:02 PM

Spot on

Scottie
11-08-2013, 04:12 PM
You could not make one decent manager out of our last 5 managers who have all failed miserably at being managers. Maybe the fact they thought LS was good enough for a regular place at Hibs says it all.

Your spot on ref the last 5 managers being ****

But if you bought Wayne Rooney would you play him in goals ? If Lewis is a midfielder play him there don't keep on playing him at LB/RB to get a new one ripped everyweek.

Postman
11-08-2013, 04:19 PM
I really do think you could help yourself by thinking before you post. You stated earlier that LS is garbage. That is abuse, not to mention factually incorrect. In your first sentence of the post above you stated it was a fact and in the second you stated that it was an opinion. Had you stated that he isn't very good then that would have been am opinion. You really do appear to be very confused and are coming across as an intellectual lightweight.

It is fact that LS is garbage! He is a truly awful football player who should be nowhere near the Hibs team!! The best anyone can ever do to defend him is use words the effort and commitment, he never offers anything to a game and is so limited its unreal that he has been at the club for as long as he has!!

OrdHibby
11-08-2013, 04:21 PM
It is fact that LS is garbage! He is a truly awful football player who should be nowhere near the Hibs team!! The best anyone can ever do to defend him is use words the effort and commitment

:applause:

cjhibee1
11-08-2013, 04:23 PM
Stevenson is awful and should be dropped. Its incredible he has lasted this long tbh. Poor control, slow and can't pass. Not only that, he is not strong enough to defend. So he's not creative enough for midfield and not tough enough for defence. He needs to be dropped.

500miles
11-08-2013, 04:25 PM
Stevenson is a squad player, who is supposed to slot into left back, right back and midfield when we are short of options due to injuries and suspensions. Why he was chosen over McGivern I have no idea.

However, he wasn't the reason we lost. We lost because of what we done at the other end of the park - missing good chances.

Aldo
11-08-2013, 04:30 PM
I actually feel quite sorry for Lewis. The guys a central MF player yet he's being asked to play LB and RB.

He probably does it without a moan or a whinge.

So yes he's an easy target. Always gives 100% and is have him in the team before OTJ

lapsedhibee
11-08-2013, 06:11 PM
if you bought Wayne Rooney would you play him in goals ?

That would just be Andy McNeill all over again, hardly able to reach the crossbar. Daft suggestion imo.

PatHead
11-08-2013, 06:34 PM
I actually feel quite sorry for Lewis. The guys a central MF player yet he's being asked to play LB and RB.

He probably does it without a moan or a whinge.

So yes he's an easy target. Always gives 100% and is have him in the team before OTJ

Problem is no-one knows his best position in a Hibs team. Some posters seem to think its Left mid, others left back and you have gone for central mid. To me he isn't good enough to hold down any of these spots. At best he is a squad player. If I was the new manager I would see if anyone wanted to take him off our hands and free up a wage to spend on either a goalscorer like Billy Mackay or a pacy wide man.

Jonnyboy
11-08-2013, 07:02 PM
lewis stevenson should really be playing for Linlithgow Rose.

Away and watch them then and you'll not need to suffer

Spike Mandela
11-08-2013, 07:06 PM
Truly woeful from Lewis today. Couldn't even take a throw in. We need better.

Jonnyboy
11-08-2013, 07:08 PM
Truly woeful from Lewis today. Couldn't even take a throw in. We need better.

He was indeed very poor today. Worst I've seen him but to say he couldn't even take a throw in is harsh IMO because it's hard taking a throw in when all you've got to aim at is statues!

Billy Whizz
11-08-2013, 07:09 PM
He was indeed very poor today. Worst I've seen him but to say he couldn't even take a throw in is harsh IMO because it's hard taking a throw in when all you've got to aim at is statues!

Agree Johnnyboy

truehibernian
11-08-2013, 07:20 PM
Stevenson is one of our better players. If he isn't good enough then that applies to most of the current squad

Is he ? Lewis was allowed to take throw in's (which in my mind should always be regarded as a set piece), despite consistently finding a Hearts head, toe, shoulder or indeed foot - second half we had a wee spell of pressure in their half, near to the box, and even 1-0 down, they allowed a player who hadn't hit his man all game to take them - for me, that sums up Fenlon and the benches reading of the game, players, and the flow of the game.

Putting him to RB - it's not madness, it's just plain bad bad management. Saying that, the ball watching from McGivern and Co for quite frankly the worst footballer I have ever seen (McGowan) to put in a cross for the goal was amateur football stuff. He will, trust me, never ever hit a cross like that again - simply embarrassing and every player should hang their head in shame.

Any Hibs player out drinking tonight - name and shame. They should be under the covers, no doubt about it.

trev the hat
11-08-2013, 07:26 PM
PF is the only reason LS had a s--t 2nd half, at RB he stood no chance, proven repeatedly in Europe
Too many on here not seeing why, not how he had a terrible 2nd half & very unfairly over criticised IMO he had a very decent 1st 45. There's bigger issues than LS to address right now & when the dust settles I hope he's still at the club.

Broken Gnome
11-08-2013, 07:28 PM
Lewis will never improve as a player. I don't think he'll ever excel from what he showed during the year he was the best we had and rightly earned a new deal.

To be fair, he's not alone in launching crap aimless balls down the line, or showing little ambition or pace on the ball. That's no reason to persevere with him though. We'd be a far greater attacking threat, from the lowest of platforms admittedly, with two full backs you could trust to see and do something positive.

Aldo
11-08-2013, 07:30 PM

Wasn't the worst, which is no excuse, that goes to OTJ in my book closely followed by Craig and Vine.

Really expected more from Craig after his exploits with St Johnstone.

As for OTJ - words cannot express how pish he was today. Did nowt and has brought nowt to team.

Lewis is no world beater but I'd rather have 10 players on the park with his commitment and effort than the likes of OTJ.

Fwiw Lewis seems to constantly get panned on here by loads of folk yet others get away week in week out even tho they've not played well. Give it a rest.

Yes Lewis might not hit the heights but he is an honest pro (again my opinion) giving his all but is played out of position on a regular basis.

Broken Gnome
11-08-2013, 07:35 PM
Lewis will never improve as a player. I don't think he'll ever excel from what he showed during the year he was the best we had and rightly earned a new deal.

To be fair, he's not alone in launching crap aimless balls down the line, or showing little ambition or pace on the ball. That's no reason to persevere with him though. We'd be a far greater attacking threat, from the lowest of platforms admittedly, with two full backs you could trust to see and do something positive.

Jonnyboy
11-08-2013, 07:35 PM
Wasn't the worst, which is no excuse, that goes to OTJ in my book closely followed by Craig and Vine.

Really expected more from Craig after his exploits with St Johnstone.

As for OTJ - words cannot express how pish he was today. Did nowt and has brought nowt to team.

Lewis is no world beater but I'd rather have 10 players on the park with his commitment and effort than the likes of OTJ.

Fwiw Lewis seems to constantly get panned on here by loads of folk yet others get away week in week out even tho they've not played well. Give it a rest.

Yes Lewis might not hit the heights but he is an honest pro (again my opinion) giving his all but is played out of position on a regular basis.

I know. My fingers ache from typing defences for him. He's a soft target for folk who like to bump their gums

J-C
11-08-2013, 07:41 PM
Definitely not at his best today but to once again single him out when there were far more disappointing performers out there is out of order. Apart from one slip near the box when he let his man past for a cross he wasn't all that bad tbh, I'll say it again though, he is not a left back but a left midfielder. Unfortunately he's seen as a utility man and instead of being played as a left/centre mid, he's used when the left back is out injured. Put him in the middle as a ball winning mid and you'll see a far better player but somehow I can't see that happening.

Personally I thought OTJ was a waste of a jersey and should at the moment be nowhere near our team, a tall man's Deegan.

truehibernian
11-08-2013, 07:43 PM
I know. My fingers ache from typing defences for him. He's a soft target for folk who like to bump their gums

JB, Lewis was awful today - in form, in posture and quite frankly should have been hooked after the first 45. Lockey, like all decent managers (and Locke isn't), will target Lewis - he's weak. Always had to get onto his left foot today despite there being times when he could have simply 'hoofed' it with his right (as was Hibs want today).

His throw in's were bordering on embarrassing and had me kicking my seat - the boy panics when there isn't a ball on. Then in panic he throws to nobody. Similarly today, when not under pressure, he uncharacteristally launched it to 'no man's land'.

He had a mare, he isn't a full back, he is a bench player at best. He's a PF first pick - that says it all about where we are. We haven't strengthened at all. As for Tim Clancy, our so called first team right back - I'm beginning to think this lad has the heart of a pea unless he's on Twitter. This injury record seems to be quite an easy excuse. Bin him in summer.

Argylehibby
11-08-2013, 07:47 PM
Totally agree with this. OTJ was dreadful and looks like a dud even amongst our other duds, but Stevenson was IMHO Hearts MOTM and epitomises EVERYTHING that is wrong at Hibs - crap, negative, apologetic (for every mistake), self deprecating, loser mentality, accommodated. His non-performance and whole approach to the game in the first half was an embarrassment to the Hibs jersey and he should go with Fenlon & Petrie.

I'd like to congratulate you and ORDHIBBY on what are probably the most absurd, inaccurate and completely over the top posts I have read in the many years I have been on this site.

We lost today from a cross from their RIGHT wing. Can you remind us who was at left back at the time? I will narrow it down for you, it wasn't Stevenson. He was at right back and just behind Liam Craig our left footed centre midfield player who was now playing at right midfield.

How many crosses did they get in from the right wing in the first half when Lewis was at left back? Our left back's first job is to defend and if McGivern had done that then maybe we would have held on for the draw or manager set out to get.

lapsedhibee
11-08-2013, 07:51 PM
Always had to get onto his left foot today despite there being times when he could have simply 'hoofed' it with his right (as was Hibs want today).

Not sure about that.

stoneyburn hibs
11-08-2013, 07:52 PM
Lewis is a squad player at best, always has been.

Jonnyboy
11-08-2013, 07:55 PM
JB, Lewis was awful today - in form, in posture and quite frankly should have been hooked after the first 45. Lockey, like all decent managers (and Locke isn't), will target Lewis - he's weak. Always had to get onto his left foot today despite there being times when he could have simply 'hoofed' it with his right (as was Hibs want today).

His throw in's were bordering on embarrassing and had me kicking my seat - the boy panics when there isn't a ball on. Then in panic he throws to nobody. Similarly today, when not under pressure, he uncharacteristally launched it to 'no man's land'.

He had a mare, he isn't a full back, he is a bench player at best. He's a PF first pick - that says it all about where we are. We haven't strengthened at all. As for Tim Clancy, our so called first team right back - I'm beginning to think this lad has the heart of a pea unless he's on Twitter. This injury record seems to be quite an easy excuse. Bin him in summer.

I've acknowledged that. I also accept we need better. Until we get that, he gets my support :agree:

truehibernian
11-08-2013, 07:56 PM
Not sure about that.

First half, first one went for a Hearts corner, second occasion went for a free kick on the edge of our box - both occasions Lewis could have cleared danger well before hand with his right foot but led with his left. (playing at left back too).

I'm a fan of Lewis' endeavour - but today, against a Hearts U20 side (let's face it), he was found wanting badly.

Jonnyboy
11-08-2013, 07:59 PM
First half, first one went for a Hearts corner, second occasion went for a free kick on the edge of our box - both occasions Lewis could have cleared danger well before hand with his right foot but led with his left. (playing at left back too).

I'm a fan of Lewis' endeavour - but today, against a Hearts U20 side (let's face it), he was found wanting badly.

As were the majority of his team mates

flash
11-08-2013, 08:00 PM

No he is an easy target because he is awful.

...WentToMowAnSPL
11-08-2013, 08:00 PM

He's one of the few that actually give a toss about the club and his runs forward are quite penetrating as the forward area is deserted by hibs players running away from the ball and hearts players not wanting to be trampled over by scared hibs players... And that my friends is why we need either Claros or Taiwo in every game ...

Jonnyboy
11-08-2013, 08:01 PM
No he is an easy target because he is awful.

In your opinion and yes I know, you're not the only one

truehibernian
11-08-2013, 08:11 PM
As were the majority of his team mates

The only players who could come off the pitch with their heads high, in my opinion JB, would have been Williams and Nelson. The rest failed to get the game by the scruff of the neck and I was disappointed in the lack of desire from players I'd expect it to be there in shed loads (KT, Vine, Craig).

It's all all wrong at Hibs just now - at set pieces I was watching closely how they were setting up and for me it was quite literally 'hit and hope' - there didn't appear to be an instruction. Liam Craig who is usually superb at them, just didn't seem to know who to hit. Hanlon's header summed up the game - Hibs player meets the ball flush yet isn't looking at the direction of where he wants the ball to go - again, literally, a 'plant my head on it and hope'.

Pyscholgically you also had a young man on the bench, Caldwell, who seems to have that 'Robbo' effect on games - he has scored 9 goals against them at all levels, usually winners - surely, surely, a manager harnesses that and thinks, you know what, big Ross might get us a goal. The lad was bursting to play after his derby winner last season. Forster was unlucky too - I'd have had him in the side in a shot.

Tom Taiwo never played in a losing derby team - why was he dropped when we knew they'd play a 5 in midfield with that little Robinson trying to playmake ?

So many many tactical faux pas, and it's fans, players and pundits from all corners that are seeing it JB - Fenlon is either stubborn or ignorant. Knowing him a wee bit he's not the latter - but his stubborness and negativity will be his undoing.

Jonnyboy
11-08-2013, 08:14 PM
The only players who could come off the pitch with their heads high, in my opinion JB, would have been Williams and Nelson. The rest failed to get the game by the scruff of the neck and I was disappointed in the lack of desire from players I'd expect it to be there in shed loads (KT, Vine, Craig).

It's all all wrong at Hibs just now - at set pieces I was watching closely how they were setting up and for me it was quite literally 'hit and hope' - there didn't appear to be an instruction. Liam Craig who is usually superb at them, just didn't seem to know who to hit. Hanlon's header summed up the game - Hibs player meets the ball flush yet isn't looking at the direction of where he wants the ball to go - again, literally, a 'plant my head on it and hope'.

Pyscholgically you also had a young man on the bench, Caldwell, who seems to have that 'Robbo' effect on games - he has scored 9 goals against them at all levels, usually winners - surely, surely, a manager harnesses that and thinks, you know what, big Ross might get us a goal. The lad was bursting to play after his derby winner last season. Forster was unlucky too - I'd have had him in the side in a shot.

Tom Taiwo never played in a losing derby team - why was he dropped when we knew they'd play a 5 in midfield with that little Robinson trying to playmake ?

So many many tactical faux pas, and it's fans, players and pundits from all corners that are seeing it JB - Fenlon is either stubborn or ignorant. Knowing him a wee bit he's not the latter - but his stubborness and negativity will be his undoing.

Agree with every word of that :agree:

steviehibsleith
11-08-2013, 08:17 PM
Lewis had a very poor game today and I am not a fan of his but to blame him for the throw ins is poor.
Throw ins have had their own thread because of how ***** we are from them and questions have been asked do we even practice doing it.
Every throw in I saw today basically was a forward up the line and one midfielder coming near with little movement. No in and outs, dragging opposition players to make a hole, no center half giving a option absolutely FO . Hibs are a fulltime football team and throw ins are a part of the game and should be worked on.

Jonnyboy
11-08-2013, 08:18 PM
Lewis had a very poor game today and I am not a fan of his but to blame him for the throw ins is poor.
Throw ins have had their own thread because of how ***** we are from them and questions have been asked do we even practice doing it.
Every throw in I saw today basically was a forward up the line and one midfielder coming near with little movement. No in and outs, dragging opposition players to make a hole, no center half giving a option absolutely FO . Hibs are a fulltime football team and throw ins are a part of the game and should be worked on.

Spot on :agree:

We're also 5hite at defending them

lapsedhibee
11-08-2013, 08:19 PM

I'm really not sure that he could.

Pretty Boy
11-08-2013, 08:19 PM

Agree with this.

However I feel sorry for him at the moment. He's been hung out to dry by Fenlon over the last few weeks and whilst he's been poor it must be tough being asked to play out of position in different positions if that makes sense.

stoneyburn hibs
11-08-2013, 08:25 PM
Agree with this.

However I feel sorry for him at the moment. He's been hung out to dry by Fenlon over the last few weeks and whilst he's been poor it must be tough being asked to play out of position in different positions if that makes sense.

:agree: Add it to the list of Fenlons failings.

mmmmhibby
11-08-2013, 08:30 PM
Away and watch them then and you'll not need to suffernever said I was suffering, its a game of football. However LS's level is Linlithgow Rose. I stand by that.

Castle Hibs
11-08-2013, 10:42 PM
I don't mind LS but he should only be used for midfield cover as he is a bomb scare in defence and opponents target him as the weak link. Why not give one of the youth players a go at right back when we are short in that area?

blackpoolhibs
11-08-2013, 10:54 PM
I have never been Stevensons biggest fan, but apart from 1 slip in the first half did little wrong. He was nothing special but who was?

In the 2nd half despite him playing right back, he again did nothing wrong, but understandably never got forward much or played any searching or incisive passes as he had to cut inside because of him being mainly left footed.

Now as i said, he was not great but neither were many of the others, and none of them were asked to play right ****in back. Fenlon is a buffoon, up there with Calderclown and Duff Jimmy. Bertie Auld played the game like Pep compared to Fenlons style.

Col_0762
12-08-2013, 12:13 AM

You honestly believe that? What club would have signed him? He's been free to sign a pre-contract twice now with anyone before we re-signed him! Who in football, never mind SPL teams have been in for him? He's utter ****ing garbage and has been for his entire Hibs career minus one game in March 2007. But he's a trier, which apparently trumps ability nowadays at Hibs.

Col_0762
12-08-2013, 12:28 AM

How's he a soft target?? We've been pish since 2007, he's been a main stay in that time. His level is the reason we are in the state we are in 'cos certain people accept it. He's utter ****ing garbage and until the likes of him are punted we will not improve. Its no good having triers if they're no good. Effort counts for **** all when you can't do the basics!

The Baldmans Comb
12-08-2013, 02:41 AM

My thoughts entirely. If anyone seriously thinks this us the sort of player who can get Hibs regularly into the Top 6 then in all seriousness you should really take a long hard look at yourself.

Stevenson with his laughable 2 year contract sums up entirely the lack of ambition if the club and a section of the support who like their players to be 100% guid wee laddies who try and try their hardest even though they are one step above dross.

Purehibee_MYB
12-08-2013, 02:54 AM
I have never been Stevensons biggest fan, but apart from 1 slip in the first half did little wrong. He was nothing special but who was?

In the 2nd half despite him playing right back, he again did nothing wrong, but understandably never got forward much or played any searching or incisive passes as he had to cut inside because of him being mainly left footed.

Now as i said, he was not great but neither were many of the others, and none of them were asked to play right ****in back. Fenlon is a buffoon, up there with Calderclown and Duff Jimmy. Bertie Auld played the game like Pep compared to Fenlons style.

Have to agree that he was no worse than any others. I was saying this during the game to my dad who was saying 'another bad pass from Stevenson' or just having a go but the rest of the team were doing the same things. He's not great but he's often the scapegoat for a bad team performance.

SlickShoes
12-08-2013, 08:12 AM
Once again today Lewis was howling. He was as bad at right back today as he was on the left, every time he got the ball he moved backwards. Liam Craig was left mid and never got any service from Lewis who decided it would be better to hoof the ball up the park for Rowan Vine to chase rather than pass to Liam Craig or another midfielder. The difference once McGivern went to left back was plain to see, he can actually move with a ball at his feet. Lewis heading ability is beyond awful.

Jones28
12-08-2013, 08:20 AM
I've been one of LS biggest fans on here, but today he was honking.

jdships
12-08-2013, 08:27 AM
Once again today Lewis was howling. He was as bad at right back today as he was on the left, every time he got the ball he moved backwards. Liam Craig was left mid and never got any service from Lewis who decided it would be better to hoof the ball up the park for Rowan Vine to chase rather than pass to Liam Craig or another midfielder. The difference once McGivern went to left back was plain to see, he can actually move with a ball at his feet. Lewis heading ability is beyond awful.

Why pick on this lad ?
EVERY one of the starting eleven was , as you call it , "howling"
As for LC he just did not seem to want /be able to get involved in the game and hardly if ever came near to LS to receive a pass .
In his defence he doesn't look a wide player to me ( I'm not the manager)

You are entitled to criticise as we all are but why not be honest and objective and slag off the whole team ?:confused:
For me therer wasn't one player in that starting eleven who merited more than a four ( Maybe Williams a 5/6)

:confused:

KeithTheHibby
12-08-2013, 08:34 AM
It is hard to give Lewis a hard time playing right back, he will only play the position he is told.

The blame lies clearly at Fenlons door. Why take off Mullen?! I don't give 2 hoots if he was on a yellow, that is not a reason to sub someone. The whole right hand side lost the balance when Lewis went to RB.

Fenlons tactics and substitutions are beyond explanation. Why take of Robertson and bring on Taiwo? Robertson was having a good game, OTJ was having another stinker yet remained on the park?!

Fenlon is a numpty, pure and simple and should be paying for this with his job today.

TrinityHibs
12-08-2013, 08:38 AM
Just wondering who would have replaced Lewis yesterday from our squad of over achievers? We could have started with McGivern and Mullen as full backs but McGivern is coming back from injury so would probably have struggled to play the full 90 minutes and so we would be looking for a sub for him around about 60 minutes. Mullen would probably have still got booked and who would we bring on to protect him at RB? The problem for me was not the defence yesterday it was the lack of any attacking threat, pace or creativity in midfield. Pretty sure that wasn't down to Lewis. I have no idea if our strikers are any good as they had nothing to work with other than long balls. Taiwo missed a good chance that had nothing to with Lewis. Despite our physical superiority we did nothing at corners which had nothing to do with Lewis. Maybe Lewis should adopt the OTJ approach to football and do nothing then at least you are doing nothing wrong. The thread title questions Lewis being played as RB. I'm pretty sure he didn't select himself for that position.

Logic after poor games is often set aside. We get the standard Lewis isn't good enough and should be binned while accepting that he isn't the worst player in the squad. I would start by getting rid of the worse players. We also get the acceptance that he is 100% committed to the games (which apparently isn't enough) while others are disinterested but that's okay.

I have previously accepted that Lewis is not Ashley Cole but until we sign better players to replace what we have, make sure they stay fit and perhaps do something radical like set the team up correctly and employ some tactics we are going to get painful threads like this.

and just for ORDHIBBY

WE DIDNT LOSE YESTERDAY BECAUSE OF LEWIS :wink:

SlickShoes
12-08-2013, 08:43 AM
Lewis was dire at left back too, is that Fenlons fault?

Why is it assumed I am blaming Lewis solely for this defeat? I am not, I am pointing out he was once again terrible, but some of you love him so much you can't see that he is not a very good footballer.

blackpoolhibs
12-08-2013, 08:47 AM
Lewis was dire at left back too, is that Fenlons fault?

Why is it assumed I am blaming Lewis solely for this defeat? I am not, I am pointing out he was once again terrible, but some of you love him so much you can't see that he is not a very good footballer.

Apart from when he slipped and nearly let their player in, he was not dire at left back. He was no worse than ANYONE else during the first half. And i don't remember anyone getting in a cross for them to score when he was there. :confused:

Aldo
12-08-2013, 08:47 AM

Wtf has Lewis done. OTJ, Liam Craig and to an extent Vine were all worse than Lewis. OTJ contributed NOWT and Craig seemed uninterested.

I've not seen you give McGivern a hard time for fannying about on the touch line for their goal.... It came from him as Lewis was RB.

Lewis could only pass the ball to someone in space, playing with bloody statues in front of him half the time.

Yeah Lewis wasn't great but he was far from the worst.

Nelson and Hanlon played quite a few long or you would call Hoof balls.... You've made no mention if that.

Lewis is an easy target for most and might not be the greatest but he tries and gets on with it.

It seems to me that other members of the team are not up for scrutiny as much as Lewis.

Scottie
12-08-2013, 08:51 AM
LS certainly gets made the scapegoat for anything that goes wrong during games:rolleyes:......I've read so many times that he is not good enough for Hibs, and we must have better players if we want to improve......

From what I saw on Thursday all player's were at fault, and the "tactics and set-up" from PF were questionable....Team game, and everyone in a green jersey let all connected with the club down on Thursday......

Above Quote taken from the Sunday after the Malmo game.

This quote is very relative to yesterdays game against the ****bos

DEJA VU DEJA VU

3pm
12-08-2013, 08:51 AM
Apart from when he slipped and nearly let their player in, he was not dire at left back. He was no worse than ANYONE else during the first half. And i don't remember anyone getting in a cross for them to score when he was there. :confused:

Gary, I like Lewis but I thought he was brutal in the first half yesterday. I actually thought he was better at RB.

SlickShoes
12-08-2013, 08:54 AM
Wtf has Lewis done. OTJ, Liam Craig and to an extent Vine were all worse than Lewis. OTJ contributed NOWT and Craig seemed uninterested.

I've not seen you give McGivern a hard time for fannying about on the touch line for their goal.... It came from him as Lewis was RB.

Lewis could only pass the ball to someone in space, playing with bloody statues in front of him half the time.

Yeah Lewis wasn't great but he was far from the worst.

Nelson and Hanlon played quite a few long or you would call Hoof balls.... You've made no mention if that.

Lewis is an easy target for most and might not be the greatest but he tries and gets on with it.

It seems to me that other members of the team are not up for scrutiny as much as Lewis.

This is a thread about Lewis Stevenson, there are other threads to berate other players. I have already posted in other places about how clueless Fenlon is and how dire the team in general were.

Why do we have this Lewis Stevenson Protection squad?

OTJ isn't even on the same level of criticism as Lewis, I never even noticed the guy was playing until 40 minutes in when he gave away a foul, the new Brian Kerr.