PDA

View Full Version : Huge lack of "off the ball" movement

Hibercelona
25-07-2013, 11:16 PM
For me, this is the most glaring issue i've noticed with Hibs for quite some time.

When a player isn't in possession of the ball, they're frozen stiff. There is absolutely no attempt to break away into space.

Whenever I compare ourselves to opposition teams, the difference here is staggering. There's a real desire with other teams. Players are looking for the pass, they break away from their markers and cause havoc at every possible opportunity.

We just don't do this. Instead, I see our players stand next to their markers and make no attempt to get away from them. And because of that, we can't build up an attack and resort to the hoof into no mans land instead.

Hibs just never look up to speed. Never appear to have any urgency. There's never any sense of game plan either. They look lost and confused for 90 minutes.

Our only saving grace last season was 1 player who is far beyond SPL level.

Pretty Boy
25-07-2013, 11:18 PM
For me, this is the most glaring issue i've noticed with Hibs for quite some time.

When a player isn't in possession of the ball, they're frozen stiff. There is absolutely no attempt to break away into space.

Whenever I compare ourselves to opposition teams, the difference here is staggering. There's a real desire with other teams. Players are looking for the pass, they break away from their markers and cause havoc at every possible opportunity.

We just don't do this. Instead, I see our players stand next to their markers and make no attempt to get away from them. And because of that, we can't build up an attack and resort to the hoof into no mans land instead.

Hibs just never look up to speed. Never appear to have any urgency. There's never any sense of game plan either. They look lost and confused for 90 minutes.

I don't agree with a lot of what you say, i may have mentioned:greengrin but this is spot on.

Our lack of movement and pace when in possession is scary.

Ricky Bobby
25-07-2013, 11:19 PM

Completely agree with this. It has been an unfortunate feature of our play for some time.

cabbageandribs1875
25-07-2013, 11:21 PM
it's time to start insisting the opposition take our throw-in's as well....the ball invariably ends up with them anyway :(

Thecat23
25-07-2013, 11:23 PM
4 seasons I have said, Hibs players DO NOT close the opposition down when they have the ball. We drop deep and last season look at the gap in midfield between them and Leigh!

Hibby Bairn
25-07-2013, 11:24 PM
:agree:

The main difference (other than pace) between us and Malmo tonight.

You need to be fit to do it though and we aren't. You could see it in the warm up. Both squads were playing the same game but Malmo were 1 and 2 touch whereas we were 3 and 4...and ours kept breaking down whereas theirs flowed endlessly.

That was then taken into the match.

Hibercelona
25-07-2013, 11:26 PM
it's time to start insisting the opposition take our throw-in's as well....the ball invariably ends up with them anyway :(

Yep.

From what I see. The Hibs player who is in possession of the ball works hard, but ends up trying to do too much, because they just don't have any options.

It's like we only have 1 player playing at any given time, while the other 10 are smoking a cigar thinking they don't need to be doing anything.

I keep bringing it up, but it's been that way ever since the training centre was opened.

ballengeich
25-07-2013, 11:27 PM
The lack of movement isn't just when we are in possession. It's also very noticeable when we're trying to defend. Malmo got in a number of shots, including several of their goals, from players who had moved away from their markers and had space to take time and line an effort up.

Do the players actually spend the week practising standing still? The game's supposed to be about pass and move.

cabbageandribs1875
25-07-2013, 11:31 PM
Yep.

From what I see. The Hibs player who is in possession of the ball works hard, but ends up trying to do too much, because they just don't have any options.

It's like we only have 1 player playing at any given time, while the other 10 are smoking a cigar thinking they don't need to be doing anything.

I keep bringing it up, but it's been that way ever since the training centre was opened.

actually. it's been a few years further back than that

LancashireHibby
25-07-2013, 11:31 PM
Maybe one for a tinhat, but it's endemic of the Scottish game. Dnipro and Maribor gave us a runaround and we've managed to go backwards since there.

cabbageandribs1875
25-07-2013, 11:32 PM
The lack of movement isn't just when we are in possession. It's also very noticeable when we're trying to defend. Malmo got in a number of shots, including several of their goals, from players who had moved away from their markers and had space to take time and line an effort up.

Do the players actually spend the week practising standing still? The game's supposed to be about pass and move.

a source told me we got beat by 11 polis cones in a bounce match last weekend

wookie70
25-07-2013, 11:32 PM
Lost count of how many time I shouted make a run or get down that channel tonight. Have one twos and first time balls gone out of fashion at Easter Road. Even Malmo's punts into the channels looked dangerous because they had pace and awareness. Its not rocket science if you see a centre half or midfielder struggling spin and find a run down the channel or into space. Try and give your mate a hand even if he is 50 yards away. Dont wait until he punts it to make a run as the defender will always win the race.

Practically every other team we play works harder than us when in possesion. It doesn't help when the players signed seem to all lack any kind of pace. I guess Malmo have a similar TV deal to us and probably lower crowds. How can the gulf be that great.

This wasn't just a bad day at the office it is something I have felt could happen at any point. We have been awful for months and although we had a decent run in last year there are glaring deficiencies in nearly everything we do. A wizard up front waving a couple of magic feet saved us last year but not sure we will be so lucky this year.

LancashireHibby
25-07-2013, 11:34 PM
a source told me we got beat by 11 polis cones in a bounce match last weekend

Way off the mark.

There were only ten cones.

steve75
25-07-2013, 11:35 PM

Hibs just never look up to speed. Never appear to have any urgency. There's never any sense of game plan either. They look lost and confused. for 90 minutes.

Exactly! It was summed up perfectly by the woman behind me, "they all just stand in the middle waiting for a miracle to happen."

cabbageandribs1875
25-07-2013, 11:36 PM
Way off the mark.

There were only ten cones.

not quite, the goalie cone realised his goal was safe and thus became an outfield cone

snooky
25-07-2013, 11:36 PM

Spot on, Hibercelona. It's been like that for a few years now.
Fortunately, Sparky got us out of jail last season.
Not one resemblance to a football team tonight.
Every cloud has a silver lining - maybe the Messiah is preparing to take up the manager's reins.
The one we have right now has been a very naughty boy!

Hibercelona
25-07-2013, 11:38 PM
actually. it's been a few years further back than that

I think you're right, now that I think about it. Although it's been getting considerably worse since then.

One thing I'd be interested to know is the managers involvement in the training methods used. Does he stick around to instruct the players along with the fitness coaches? Or is it a case of dropping them off then going off somewhere to fill in some paper work?

I'd like to think that the manager takes a huge interest in what goes on within the training centre and spends adequate time assessing each players fitness level and insuring the methods of training used are to a high enough standard.

Pretty Boy
25-07-2013, 11:38 PM
Maybe one for a tinhat, but it's endemic of the Scottish game. Dnipro and Maribor gave us a runaround and we've managed to go backwards since there.

No tin hat required, you're spot on.

I've said a few times tonight that a huge factor in our humping was that we seemed absolutely baffled by the way Malmo played. I'm not sure the last time we played against a team capable of moving the ball and themselves as well as they did and it showed.

neil7908
26-07-2013, 07:17 AM
Spot on, we also look incredibly slow, apart from Harris in this current squad there is no one with any pace going forward or creativity. I have a lot of time for both Thomson and Taiwo but they're not a good pairing on the middle of the park. I was fairly confident going into the new season but that's been shattered now. Very, very worried.

Oh and I've always had a joke with my mates about our throw ins but it's actually quite a serious issue and highlights our issues perfectly - no movement, slow, no ideas, no attacking intent and 99 times out of 100 the ball ends up with the opposition.

swazzie
26-07-2013, 07:41 AM
Totally agree and I think it's part of a wider issue as to how the team train and are coached

Every first touch is cautious and backwards, with the aim of shielding the ball from the opposition. Every run a midfielder makes is into the hole behind the ball carrier, not ahead of him. Possession is kept just for possession's sake and with no intention of pulling teams about and creating space. You watch the likes of the Mowbray team and you would always see players moving for a short pass and leaving space for someone else to run into ahead of him - it hasn't happened like that for seasons now

It's the mentality that wears you down. It's so negative, directionless and without purpose (unlike this post :greengrin). We've all seen that performance last night countless times now in the past few years and it never changes

Players will, and have, come and gone, but I see little point in speculating who we should bring in or bin until we change this attitude. This has got to start and end on the training pitch and unfortunately I've got no faith that the current coaching and management regime will do it

Black Kyle
26-07-2013, 07:48 AM
For footballing ability, rather than pure results, we're outplayed by most SPL teams most weeks.

I don't know if this is down to tactics, coaching or skill levels of the squad.

One things for sure is that something's got to change, or we're relegation material this season unless other teams have moved further back than us.

number9dream
26-07-2013, 07:53 AM
Every player needs three or four touches to control the ball before cutting back the way and shifting it to the player behind who will invariably hoof it away aimlessly.
There was no obvious plan to break Malmo down, just a series of speculative long diagonals aimed approximately at Harris & Craig - who was lost on the left.
Massive gap between our central midfield and two central forwards.
Defence all at sea... Depressing.

brydekirk
26-07-2013, 08:00 AM

Correct

BarneyK
26-07-2013, 08:07 AM

The main difference (other than pace) between us and Malmo tonight.

You need to be fit to do it though and we aren't. You could see it in the warm up. Both squads were playing the same game but Malmo were 1 and 2 touch whereas we were 3 and 4...and ours kept breaking down whereas theirs flowed endlessly.

That was then taken into the match.

I would suggest that ours was not taken into the match. We pretty much hoofed the ball forward mostly. The OP is spot on, there is a shocking lack of movement and, let's face it, guts in the side. You need to be brave out there and we just don't have players with that bravery it seems. Fair play to Boozy and Handling, they did keep trying to make something happen though.

BarneyK
26-07-2013, 08:07 AM
Every player needs three or four touches to control the ball before cutting back the way and shifting it to the player behind who will invariably hoof it away aimlessly.
There was no obvious plan to break Malmo down, just a series of speculative long diagonals aimed approximately at Harris & Craig - who was lost on the left.
Massive gap between our central midfield and two central forwards.
Defence all at sea... Depressing.

rcarter1
26-07-2013, 08:36 AM
Exactly! It was summed up perfectly by the woman behind me, "they all just stand in the middle waiting for a miracle to happen."

Hmmm. Sounds like Griffiths. We need to rethink everything from scratch.

JoeTortolanoFanClub
26-07-2013, 08:40 AM

Spot on. You wouldn't fancy applying for the Manager job when Fenlon goes, would you ?

gegs70
26-07-2013, 08:45 AM
We seem to lack creativity and movement.

Heisenberg
26-07-2013, 08:48 AM
We seem to lack creativity and movement.

We've lacked that ever since Pat got here (minus about 10 games at the start of last season). Griffiths covered it up by himself most of the time. He's built a team with a slow defensive midfield and an even slower back four. He plays Harris on the wrong side and Craig who played well and scored goals from the middle of the park last season on the left. Teams can just walk through us whilst we take about 15 passes between our midfield/defend before hoofing it up the park.