PDA

View Full Version : Alan Maybury - player/coach contract (merged)

GreenCastle
07-06-2013, 12:37 PM
Contract expires end of this month.

Was told Maybury and Kuqi started their UEFA A badge last week - I assume both are thinking to the future and not sure if Hibs have offered Maybury another deal as a player yet.

Personally I would keep him around working with the younger players as seems like a good professional.

While he wasn't always a fans favourite I think Maybury did pick up some form last few league games of the season. However would like to see more of an attacking full back - however Maybury did bring experience to a young back 4.

JimBHibees
07-06-2013, 12:57 PM
Contract expires end of this month.

Was told Maybury and Kuqi started their UEFA A badge last week - I assume both are thinking to the future and not sure if Hibs have offered Maybury another deal as a player yet.

Personally I would keep him around working with the younger players as seems like a good professional.

While he wasn't always a fans favourite I think Maybury did pick up some form last few league games of the season. However would like to see more of an attacking full back - however Maybury did bring experience to a young back 4.

I would give him another year shown enough in the games he played to demonstrate he can still contribute though probably more as cover. His coaching and playing experience were probably influential in guys like Forster looking so calm when in the first team.

lord bunberry
07-06-2013, 01:02 PM
I wouldn't offer him a new deal, he won't be first choice, we would be better placed playing one of the youth team as cover

Sweet Left Peg
07-06-2013, 01:13 PM
That would be why he was in Largs last Friday then. Maybury, that is. I didn't see Kuqi.

basehibby
07-06-2013, 01:18 PM
Maybury MAY be worth keeping on as a player coach for a season - giving him a chance to develop his coaching while providing cover to the 1st team. But should defo wave bye bye to Kuqui who has sadly been a bit of a waste of space.

neilmartinrocks
07-06-2013, 01:21 PM
I would keep him as cover for 1st team and/or a coach for the youngsters.

Stevie Reid
07-06-2013, 01:29 PM
I would give him another year shown enough in the games he played to demonstrate he can still contribute though probably more as cover. His coaching and playing experience were probably influential in guys like Forster looking so calm when in the first team.

:agree:

Would like to keep him for all of those reasons. Had a better season at RB than anyone since Whittaker IMO, and has filled in well at LB too. His days of being a first choice are long gone, but if the right deal can be struck to take advantage of his experience, adaptability and desire to coach, I'd be happy.

Fenlon said that he was the kind of person that was good to have at the club before he signed him. Let's keep him here if we can.

CropleyWasGod
07-06-2013, 01:37 PM
Maybury MAY be worth keeping on as a player coach for a season - giving him a chance to develop his coaching while providing cover to the 1st team. But should defo wave bye bye to Kuqui who has sadly been a bit of a waste of space.

According to PF, Kuqi has proved his worth in a coaching sense. In that respect, he's probably more valuable than AM.

J-C
07-06-2013, 01:41 PM

Although he didn't play much, seemingly his experience was invaluable with the younger forwards, who all learnt a lot from him.

JollyGreenGiant
07-06-2013, 01:44 PM
I wouldn't give him a contract, Clancy and Lewis can play there, so can Spoony if he stays and I would rather a young laddie be given a shot if none of the others could play!

pontius pilate
07-06-2013, 02:16 PM
Is it not the case that both of these guys were being kept on in a coaching capacity

JimBHibees
07-06-2013, 02:28 PM
Although he didn't play much, seemingly his experience was invaluable with the younger forwards, who all learnt a lot from him.

Surely we are not seriously considering keeping Kuqi on?

Green Man
07-06-2013, 03:04 PM

I think he's been released but PF said he'd been good to have around the place to help the young strikers.

Fergus52
07-06-2013, 03:20 PM

What's the big problem if its just as a coach?

ancient hibee
07-06-2013, 03:38 PM

I think that is Fenlon's excuse for making what was a dreadful signing and a complete waste of money.

lord bunberry
07-06-2013, 03:46 PM
I would imagine we already have our full quota of coaches at the club, unless they are prepared to stay on and work for nothing i can't see either of them staying.

NORTHERNHIBBY
07-06-2013, 03:49 PM
What's the big problem if its just as a coach?

Kuqi Coachy sounds like a song.

Wilson
07-06-2013, 03:56 PM
I think that is Fenlon's excuse for making what was a dreadful signing and a complete waste of money.

Fenlon is in record as saying Kuqi didn't feature as much as he himself would have wanted. He expressed no regrets at not having played him more. I think it is implied that the signing was a bust on the playing front.

No excuses required. He took a chance on experience and pedigree and it didn't pay off. It happens. If he wasn't good to have around and his experience and attitude weren't positive I doubt there'd be any need to soft soap it.

I like to think he is a good professional who made the best of his abilities. A good role model for any footballer starting out. All the best Shefki.

RIP
07-06-2013, 04:21 PM
Maybury should be our first choice right back IMO.

Lewis is about third choice and I'm not sure Spoony will ever play RB again

Clancy seems to spend a fair bit of time on the treatment table

I'd keep Clancy as cover when fit

lord bunberry
07-06-2013, 04:23 PM
Maybury should be our first choice right back IMO.

Lewis is about third choice and I'm not sure Spoony will ever play RB again

Clancy seems to spend a fair bit of time on the treatment table

I'd keep Clancy as cover when fit

If we want to achieve anything next season we need better than maybury. He is a decent honest journeyman pro who always tries his best but we need better.

Kaff
07-06-2013, 04:39 PM
If we want to achieve anything next season we need better than maybury. He is a decent honest journeyman pro who always tries his best but we need better.

Agree only on the basis of the 11 that go on the park but we have had such a dearth of honest pros in the last few years that I would be loathe to see Maybury and possibly Kuqi go. Are they a large part of what looks like a more professional approach? If yes then retain them, it takes years to build up a culture of professionalism much as it took years of sloppy habits to reach the point we were at last season. If they truly help Caldwell and Forster turn into top SPL performers then their wages are well covered in (a) The fact these young lads will be on initially smaller contracts and (b) If they become SPL stars on bigger contracts then they should have sale value and again justifies the 'coach' situation.
In my mind I would far rather have this background professionalism and young academy stars coming through than billy big shot has/never beens we seem to have been lumbered with for years

J-C
07-06-2013, 06:21 PM

No my point was he was nearing the end of his career and his experience was invaluable with the youngsters(Caldwell/Handling)

If Maybury can be kept on as pure back up, he's doing his badges then we're getting a 2 for 1 deal. We have many youngsters coming through the ranks and Maybury has seemingly been a very good influence on them, it's all about professionalism, something Fenlon has been changing at the club.

WestEndHibee
07-06-2013, 06:25 PM

Despite only playing about 1 game Kuqi has been working hard with the young guys. He's not a wage thief and when he realised he couldn't play much he did work in other senses. Apparently Caldwell learned a lot from him.

lEXO
07-06-2013, 07:47 PM
I,d give Maybury another year. Good to have a bit experience to step in if required. With Clancy being injured a lot and only young guys as cover we might need it.

Sweet Left Peg
07-06-2013, 08:36 PM
Kuqi Coachy sounds like a song.

Pass the Coachy on the Kuqi side...

IWasThere2016
07-06-2013, 08:55 PM
No for me.

scuttle
07-06-2013, 08:58 PM
Not for me either ,far too slow

Mark1875
07-06-2013, 10:49 PM
Fenlon is in record as saying Kuqi didn't feature as much as he himself would have wanted. He expressed no regrets at not having played him more. I think it is implied that the signing was a bust on the playing front.

No excuses required. He took a chance on experience and pedigree and it didn't pay off. It happens. If he wasn't good to have around and his experience and attitude weren't positive I doubt there'd be any need to soft soap it.

I like to think he is a good professional who made the best of his abilities. A good role model for any footballer starting out. All the best Shefki.

When you look at the guys we have had with much more talent than Kuqi, and think about the fact that some of those guys are finished by the time they are 30 while Kuqi is now 36, he can only be a good role model for the younger guys. I wouldn't have any complaints if there was a role for him at east mains, as long as it didn't impact on the playing budget.

Same for Maybury, who I thought was our best option at RB last season. Both these guys can only be a good influence on the younger lads. Seems like the scottish lads struggle to keep a career going after the age of 30, while the lads that come through the ranks in england always seem to go on till their mid 30's.

MWHIBBIES
07-06-2013, 11:09 PM
Not for me either ,far too slowRubbish. He isn't the quickest but far too slow is a bare faced lie tbh, his experience and defending ability also makes up for his lack of pace, another year at least for me.

blackpoolhibs
07-06-2013, 11:12 PM
He's done a job for a season, but please let us get someone in who's a wee bit better than him.

kaimendhibs
08-06-2013, 12:56 AM
I think Alan has been a sterling signing, worth another year

Northernhibee
08-06-2013, 01:38 AM
If Alan and Shefki are going to bring on our youngsters then let's give them a coaching role on a cheap wage seeing as how they have no formal coaching experience; give them a year or two to pass their knowledge on before heading for bigger jobs. Get them passing on their experience to help bridge the chasm between the u19s and the first team. Work on getting your Horribines and Stantons first team ready.

Getting the right characters behind the scenes is just as important as getting the right players on the pitch.

bingo70
08-06-2013, 06:44 AM
I liked maybury and thought he was a bit unlucky last season but now is the time for him to move on and we take a chance with a youngster covering for when Clancy gets injured.

Whether that youngsters already at the club or we bring one in I'm not sure.

Waxy
08-06-2013, 07:15 AM
Was Kuqi the worst signing in Hibs history?

CallumLaidlaw
08-06-2013, 08:21 AM
Was Kuqi the worst signing in Hibs history?

No, as Fenlon has said he's been brilliant with the young strikers. So if he's helped with them, then it's been worthwhile

scuttle
08-06-2013, 09:19 AM
Rubbish. He isn't the quickest but far too slow is a bare faced lie tbh, his experience and defending ability also makes up for his lack of pace, another year at least for me.

Just like his half clearance in the final ,slow to getting to the loose ball and turning his back on Stokes cross. You have mentioned his lack of pace twice in your reply so how is it a bare faced lie ?

NAE NOOKIE
08-06-2013, 09:24 AM
In the first derby Maybury made a bad mistake which resulted in the Yams scoring. He went on to show what a good pro he is by having a solid game after that.

In the final he topped the ball trying to clear it. Instead of chasing his error he stood looking at Stokes as he lined up his cross. I sat 20 feet away in the West stand screaming at him to close Stokes down. We all know how that ended.

We need to find a solution to our right back problem and Alan Maybury aint it. Clancy could be, but he needs to find a solution to his injury problems.

Pretty Boy
08-06-2013, 09:25 AM
Maybury done a job when asked and was, for the most part, decent.

However it's time to move him on imo. If he is interested in working with the young players and we have a place for him then a coaching role may be an option. He was pretty involved last year and seemed to do well.

superfurryhibby
08-06-2013, 09:45 AM
What's the obsession with coaching on here. FFS, how many coaches do folk feel we need? Maybury was a liability and if we want to progress then we need better. Kuqi was apiss poor signing and the least we can expect is that these guys set a good example. It's Fenlon's job to coach and he has picked his backroom staff. For me it's a thanks for the effort Alan and good luck finding a new club.

God Petrie
08-06-2013, 09:47 AM
After the abysmal way he defended in the cup final, he should leave. We need better players than Maybury.

LeighLoyal
08-06-2013, 10:02 AM
Not a fan.

blackpoolhibs
08-06-2013, 10:38 AM
In the first derby Maybury made a bad mistake which resulted in the Yams scoring. He went on to show what a good pro he is by having a solid game after that.

In the final he topped the ball trying to clear it. Instead of chasing his error he stood looking at Stokes as he lined up his cross. I sat 20 feet away in the West stand screaming at him to close Stokes down. We all know how that ended.

We need to find a solution to our right back problem and Alan Maybury aint it. Clancy could be, but he needs to find a solution to his injury problems.

Thats it in a nutshell, Maybury was brought to the club as cover. He's done a reasonable job over the course of the season but we need much better, settling for mediocrity is not my idea of making progress, and thats what he is.

hibs4thecup1988
08-06-2013, 10:51 AM
We should really aim for better than Alan at right back. However, there are other areas that need strengthened first and if he gets another year as cover or even first choice then fine by me.

truehibernian
08-06-2013, 10:52 AM
What's the obsession with coaching on here. FFS, how many coaches do folk feel we need? Maybury was a liability and if we want to progress then we need better. Kuqi was apiss poor signing and the least we can expect is that these guys set a good example. It's Fenlon's job to coach and he has picked his backroom staff. For me it's a thanks for the effort Alan and good luck finding a new club.

This is not a slight on you mate, but that's exactly the type of comment that makes my blood boil. It is because of the distinct lack of good coaching over the years that Scotland finds itself 74th in the rankings, with a domestic league on it's arse, and no world class talent coming through.

Football evolved two decades ago, other so called 'minnow' countries invested in football and sport, with coaching, good quality coaching at the heart of it. Hence you now see USA, Sweden, Norway, South Africa, Nigeria, etc etc etc becoming superb football nations in world football context. Holland, Germany, France - well they have been innovative and unafraid to invest for decades - hence they have remained at the top of the football map.

Scotland - we just rolled on and lived on the so called 'glory years' which when you actually look back on it, were not that glorious at all - we qualified for tournaments but fell on our faces when we got there amongst the elite - Dalglish, Souness, Bremner and Co were not a match for the better nations.

Coaching doesn't just mean top team - it means coaching kids from the age of 7 upwards. It means getting this horrible Scottish mindset of drink and crap food culture out a potential pro footballer's system. It means teaching them the laws of the game. It means teaching them tactics and teamwork and work ethic.

Scotland's juvenile youth system still involves dads shouting 'square ball', 'man on' and 'get stuck into him' - and nepotism for good measure.

The academies will come good but they are not the answer - it needs Scotland to change it's attitude, have a cultural shift, and to focus on the good instead of the bad - we have this depressing Calvin gene even when we win. Look at Strachan yesterday - rather than say 'wow, what a win' he said 'we can play better' - only a Scot could sprinkle a negative on a huge positive. We are not good at really celebrating success. It's why America succeed at all sports (and Australia).

Coaching, good quality coaching, is vital - and for me Alan Maybury is ideal to have around Hibs. Lives exactly the right way and the way a footballer, no matter how good he is, should aspire to be like on and off the field.

Onceinawhile
08-06-2013, 11:28 AM
Just a quite point slightly related to this, Robbie Keane made his republic of Ireland debut in the sane game as maybury, coming on as a sub for him!

WellingtonHibby
08-06-2013, 11:31 AM
This is not a slight on you mate, but that's exactly the type of comment that makes my blood boil. It is because of the distinct lack of good coaching over the years that Scotland finds itself 74th in the rankings, with a domestic league on it's arse, and no world class talent coming through.

Football evolved two decades ago, other so called 'minnow' countries invested in football and sport, with coaching, good quality coaching at the heart of it. Hence you now see USA, Sweden, Norway, South Africa, Nigeria, etc etc etc becoming superb football nations in world football context. Holland, Germany, France - well they have been innovative and unafraid to invest for decades - hence they have remained at the top of the football map.

Scotland - we just rolled on and lived on the so called 'glory years' which when you actually look back on it, were not that glorious at all - we qualified for tournaments but fell on our faces when we got there amongst the elite - Dalglish, Souness, Bremner and Co were not a match for the better nations.

Coaching doesn't just mean top team - it means coaching kids from the age of 7 upwards. It means getting this horrible Scottish mindset of drink and crap food culture out a potential pro footballer's system. It means teaching them the laws of the game. It means teaching them tactics and teamwork and work ethic.

Scotland's juvenile youth system still involves dads shouting 'square ball', 'man on' and 'get stuck into him' - and nepotism for good measure.

The academies will come good but they are not the answer - it needs Scotland to change it's attitude, have a cultural shift, and to focus on the good instead of the bad - we have this depressing Calvin gene even when we win. Look at Strachan yesterday - rather than say 'wow, what a win' he said 'we can play better' - only a Scot could sprinkle a negative on a huge positive. We are not good at really celebrating success. It's why America succeed at all sports (and Australia).

Coaching, good quality coaching, is vital - and for me Alan Maybury is ideal to have around Hibs. Lives exactly the right way and the way a footballer, no matter how good he is, should aspire to be like on and off the field.

That, sir, is a brilliant post.

Eyrie
08-06-2013, 12:04 PM
At Maybury's age I wouldn't want to rely on him as our starting RB, or even to replace Clancy for a run of a dozen games. However he can still do a job for us on the pitch for a couple of matches at a time.

Remember that last summer he was with us for several weeks as a trialist before finally getting an offer so it's a safe assumption that he won't be on a big wage. Add in that he's working on his coaching badges and it makes sense for both parties to give him a one year deal as a player/coach.

superfurryhibby
08-06-2013, 01:46 PM

I think there is value in what you say but Alan Maybury isn'teven a coach, never mind being one with a track record. Being realistic though how many coaches does a team need? Surely it's about quality not quantity? At a club the size of Hibs it 's only reasonable to hopethat the manager knows what he is doing and that he and his.assistant are able to coach a team?

Brightside
08-06-2013, 02:03 PM
I think there is value in what you say but Alan Maybury isn'teven a coach, never mind being one with a track record. Being realistic though how many coaches does a team need? Surely it's about quality not quantity? At a club the size of Hibs it 's only reasonable to hopethat the manager knows what he is doing and that he and his.assistant are able to coach a team?

Id expect Hibs to have about 30 or 40 coaches. Maybury is a solid pro and is working with the reserve teams.

blackpoolhibs
08-06-2013, 02:12 PM
Id expect Hibs to have about 30 or 40 coaches. Maybury is a solid pro and is working with the reserve teams.

Are we short of coaches at Hibs?

lucky
08-06-2013, 05:40 PM
Allegedly only on £40k per year, with bonuses. So at that price he is worth another year. I actually like him better than Clancy

MWHIBBIES
08-06-2013, 06:20 PM
Just like his half clearance in the final ,slow to getting to the loose ball and turning his back on Stokes cross. You have mentioned his lack of pace twice in your reply so how is it a bare faced lie ?Lacking a bit of pace and being ''far too slow'' are completely different things.

Hiber-nation
08-06-2013, 06:21 PM
If he's a good coach and there's a vacancy then great. Not as a player though, if we're even thinking of Alan as back up then we're going the wrong way.

MWHIBBIES
08-06-2013, 06:23 PM
After the abysmal way he defended in the cup final, he should leave. We need better players than Maybury.Using the same logic would mean getting rid of Hanlon, McGivern and Forster not to mention Williams and Kevin Thomson.

scuttle
08-06-2013, 06:34 PM
Lacking a bit of pace and being ''far too slow'' are completely different things.

Dress it up anyway you want ,it still makes him slow which makes it an opinion and not a LIE as you have suggested

MWHIBBIES
08-06-2013, 06:38 PM
Dress it up anyway you want ,it still makes him slow which makes it an opinion and not a LIE as you have suggestedFair enough but not in 1 game I watched Alan Maybury this season did he look far too slow.

hibs4thecup1988
08-06-2013, 06:42 PM

I agree with what you say regards maybury...but 30/40 coaches? Are you actually joking?

Manchester united have 16 coaches. Why would ANY team in the world have 30? Let alone one with our budget?

blackpoolhibs
08-06-2013, 06:46 PM
I agree with what you say regards maybury...but 30/40 coaches? Are you actually joking?

Manchester united have 16 coaches. Why would ANY team in the world have 30? Let alone one with our budget?

I have no idea how many coaches we have, i also dont know if we are short of them? Those saying we should keep him on as a coach, can you tell me where he'd fit in and if we need one, would we not be better with one who's more experienced than someone who's just finished his badges last week?

Bad Habits
08-06-2013, 06:50 PM
IIRC the fishy site only shows Fenlon, O'Brien, and the academy guy aswell as the physio in the staff section, just checked though

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/page/CoachingStaff/0,,10290,00.html

Missed the goalsie coach but it says we have a couple of 'background staff' like performance analysers and overseers of youth development about

superfurryhibby
08-06-2013, 07:15 PM
IIRC the fishy site only shows Fenlon, O'Brien, and the academy guy aswell as the physio in the staff section, just checked though

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/page/CoachingStaff/0,,10290,00.html:greengrin

Missed the goalsie coach but it says we have a couple of 'background staff' like performance analysers and overseers of youth development about
Don't overlook the vital role carried out by Tam McCourt

Bad Habits
08-06-2013, 07:23 PM
Don't overlook the vital role carried out by Tam McCourt

Of course! Was quite suprised to see he wasn't mentioned

scoopyboy
08-06-2013, 07:38 PM

A good post and I agree with everything you say until the last paragraph.

Alan Maybury has been a good pro all his days but as a player he is finished at our level. There are literally hundreds of players out there who are without clubs and realise they are going to take a drop in wages to stay in the game. A lot of players have not had their contracts renewed, not because they are crap but because their clubs couldn't afford to keep them.

I know Maybury isn't a top earner but he still earned a wage, if you take his wage and Kuqi's they could go a long way towards bringing in a better player. Both have been good with the laddies and I thank them for that but that is no reason on its own to keep them.

Done coming in January actually hindered rather than helped IMO, if he hadn't been a last minute desperate move then Harris, Caldwell and Handling would have picked up more game time.

Maybury staying on would stop others breaking through and we will never improve. He is slow and is only going to get slower, thanks Alan and I wish you well in your coaching career.

superfurryhibby
08-06-2013, 07:44 PM
Allegedly only on £40k per year, with bonuses. So at that price he is worth another year. I actually like him better than Clancy

Only 40 k! Loadsae folk do hard graft for less than half that money. Clancy was excellent before the long injury lay off. I would rather cover for Clancy came from the youth team than give 40 k to an over the hill journeyman pro

Northernhibee
08-06-2013, 07:58 PM
Only 40 k! Loadsae folk do hard graft for less than half that money. Clancy was excellent before the long injury lay off. I would rather cover for Clancy came from the youth team than give 40 k to an over the hill journeyman pro

Considering the work that Alan's put into helping out the U19s as well as providing decent cover for the first team squad in current football terms that's a bargain.

Moving from the U19s to the main squad is a huge jump, I'd want our youngsters being able to learn from players like Kuqi who have played at EPL level for many years or Maybury who knows the SPL inside out and has the attitude I'd want all our youngsters to have. As long as we can get them on a low wage they'd be great to have at U19/Academy level to help our youngsters along.

Considering that we've had far too many players who've found themselves getting involved in the George St. culture in previous years having a few good examples and influences at a young level would do us well.

scoopyboy
08-06-2013, 08:00 PM

Exactly, Jordon Forster has recently signed a new 1 year deal and will be nowhere near £40,000.

scoopyboy
08-06-2013, 08:04 PM
Considering the work that Alan's put into helping out the U19s as well as providing decent cover for the first team squad in current football terms that's a bargain.

Moving from the U19s to the main squad is a huge jump, I'd want our youngsters being able to learn from players like Kuqi who have played at EPL level for many years or Maybury who knows the SPL inside out and has the attitude I'd want all our youngsters to have. As long as we can get them on a low wage they'd be great to have at U19/Academy level to help our youngsters along.

Considering that we've had far too many players who've found themselves getting involved in the George St. culture in previous years having a few good examples and influences at a young level would do us well.

A couple of points;

The under 19s are actually under 20s.

By playing old codgers in the first team makes its even harder for youngsters to bridge the gap, ie they cannae get on the pitch.

dp00
08-06-2013, 08:14 PM
Realistically 40k prob makes him one of lowest paid in the squad.

I had heard he was doing work with u19... he appears to be a good pro that to me makes him worth another year

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

superfurryhibby
08-06-2013, 08:17 PM
Exactly, Jordon Forster has recently signed a new 1 year deal and will be nowhere near £40,000.

If the team is to progress then we need to tie up the young lads like Forster and Harris. They are the future. Fwiw, young guys will also be inspired and motivated by seeing their peers progress and knowing they will get a chance if they too show the necessary attributes.

truehibernian
08-06-2013, 08:18 PM
A good post and I agree with everything you say until the last paragraph.

Alan Maybury has been a good pro all his days but as a player he is finished at our level. There are literally hundreds of players out there who are without clubs and realise they are going to take a drop in wages to stay in the game. A lot of players have not had their contracts renewed, not because they are crap but because their clubs couldn't afford to keep them.

I know Maybury isn't a top earner but he still earned a wage, if you take his wage and Kuqi's they could go a long way towards bringing in a better player. Both have been good with the laddies and I thank them for that but that is no reason on its own to keep them.

Done coming in January actually hindered rather than helped IMO, if he hadn't been a last minute desperate move then Harris, Caldwell and Handling would have picked up more game time.

Maybury staying on would stop others breaking through and we will never improve. He is slow and is only going to get slower, thanks Alan and I wish you well in your coaching career.

I agree with you scoopy, I was more talking up AM perhaps moving into coaching at Hibs, and standing aside as a player. I think you know my stance re young players and I'm perhaps too quick at times to want them pushed through. I wanted Harris in from the start of the season, and I was also championing Scott Smith - I still think that is a strange move to release him as I thought he had the required skills to succeed at Hibs and beyond. I've watched a fair bit of the 20's and Andy Black is a superb wee player and to be honest, great back up for Clancy - as is Donaldson.

Matt Done - again, I was angry at the time as I knew that Hibs were trying to get Taylor and I was bemused as to why we needed him. He, for me, was a waste of a supplemented wage.

Danny Handling - again I see glimpses of Kenny Miller in Danny, but it irks me that he is being played wide or behind. If we can get another very quick, pacy winger, then Danny, Ross and hopefully Leigh will bury plenty in the back of the net. Our midfield looks strong physically and can maybe chip in with more goals next season. But I'd love to see some real pace in the side as I still think it's lacking.

J-C
08-06-2013, 08:24 PM
A couple of points;

By playing old codgers in the first team makes its even harder for youngsters to bridge the gap, ie they cannae get on the pitch.

Maybury was handy as cover but played more than expected due to Clancy being injury prone. At the start of the season we never had a youngster good enough at 1st team level to act as cover, this has changed with the emergence of Forster ( who can play RB ) and maybe Donaldson. I don't know the coaching budgets at ER, I'd assume they'd be separate from playing budget but if Pat feels Maybury could do a coaching job fair enough but as a player, he's done well in his career but we need to look at a younger model and to the future.

Northernhibee
08-06-2013, 08:27 PM
A couple of points;

First point is merely pedantic, as for the second I disagree that having two or three experienced fringe players or just all out coaches in the right places helps us; if a youngster has a bad game we need people at all levels; manager, coaches and playing squad that they can gain advice and guidance from. As someone mentioned earlier Ross Caldwell has learned a lot from Shefki and probably helped him have a run in the first team at the end of the season.

It's a balance as with everything, I agree if we had eleven Maybury/Kuqis then we'd have a problem; two that only act as cover but will have their coaching badges soon can only be a good influence on the future stars of the club.

I'd much, much rather have Maybury and Kuqi on a pittance in a coaching role acting as a positive influence on our youth players and as a result see a higher percentage of our youngsters break into the main team than seeing half of them struggle to make the leap or end up as part of the George St. culture that we've had.

macd123
08-06-2013, 09:26 PM
I would get rid of maybury and bring back riordan and o connor as social secretary and fitness coach.

scoopyboy
09-06-2013, 04:48 PM
First point is merely pedantic, as for the second I disagree that having two or three experienced fringe players or just all out coaches in the right places helps us; if a youngster has a bad game we need people at all levels; manager, coaches and playing squad that they can gain advice and guidance from. As someone mentioned earlier Ross Caldwell has learned a lot from Shefki and probably helped him have a run in the first team at the end of the season.

It's a balance as with everything, I agree if we had eleven Maybury/Kuqis then we'd have a problem; two that only act as cover but will have their coaching badges soon can only be a good influence on the future stars of the club.

I'd much, much rather have Maybury and Kuqi on a pittance in a coaching role acting as a positive influence on our youth players and as a result see a higher percentage of our youngsters break into the main team than seeing half of them struggle to make the leap or end up as part of the George St. culture that we've had.

I beg to differ that my first point is merely pedantic, it gives the under age team another year to mature and progress before possibly getting first team games.

If the under 19s hadn't turned into under 20s I would have guessed that Dean Horribine would have been released, he got another year and has progressed again and won another deal. I expect him to feature in the first team next season.

Try telling him it's pedantic.

superfurryhibby
09-06-2013, 09:15 PM

I'd much, much rather have Maybury and Kuqi on a pittance in a coaching role acting as a positive influence on our youth players and as a result see a higher percentage of our youngsters break into the main team than seeing half of them struggle to make the leap or end up as part of the George St. culture that we've had.But
But we have under 20's coaches and they seem to be doinga good job? Also, 40 k is no pittance, regardless of where this figure was conjured up from.

Jonnyboy
09-06-2013, 09:19 PM
I beg to differ that my first point is merely pedantic, it gives the under age team another year to mature and progress before possibly getting first team games.

If the under 19s hadn't turned into under 20s I would have guessed that Dean Horribine would have been released, he got another year and has progressed again and won another deal. I expect him to feature in the first team next season.

Try telling him it's pedantic.

MrRobot
09-06-2013, 09:28 PM
I like Maybury. Few bad performances but overall pretty solid. Would like to see him kept and progressed into a coach.

JohnStephens91
10-06-2013, 12:19 AM
Alan is a very solid professional and when he makes a mistake he does not let that faze him and he recovers and usually plays very well. He is good at reading the game despite losing his pace that he once had (although he was never a galloping right-back) and in the latter half of the season got forward a lot more. His presence in the squad is vital as he passes on tips to the younger players and never goes out on the lash and causes bother and works very well as a coach for the under-20's.

I'd love Alan to stay on as he still has it in him to play well in the SPL. I remember when people moan about clubs like St Johnstone finishing above us and then when we were linked to Alan most people kicked up a fuss about it because he played for the Yams and was now a bit older. Maybe it is because they were utilising the experience that Alan brought to the table that clubs like St Johnstone were finishing above us and outperforming us?

broonie27
13-06-2013, 10:38 PM
that is all.

blaikie
13-06-2013, 10:40 PM
Why not decent squad player had some good performances last year!

Sprouleflyer
13-06-2013, 10:41 PM
that is all.

Why?

Onion
13-06-2013, 10:41 PM
Bit Harsh.

broonie27
13-06-2013, 10:43 PM
opinions, eh. I think he's utter gash so there you go.

Leishy1995
13-06-2013, 10:44 PM
opinions, eh. I think he's utter gash so there you go.

He's got a bit extra weight tbf

Carrying Jamie Walker in his back pocket

TheFamous1875
13-06-2013, 10:44 PM
Good honest pro who'll help bring on our youth players. Good from Pat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

hibee_girl
13-06-2013, 10:45 PM
Which he deserves.

CB_NO3
13-06-2013, 10:45 PM
Am happy with that. Decent, experienced pro, cheap wages, good to teach the kids. Has been ok all season. Been no better or worse than Clancy this season IMO which says more about Clancy than it does about Maybury.

R'Albin
13-06-2013, 10:47 PM
He did a decent job at times last season, but I really hope this isn't the case.

Hibstrooper
13-06-2013, 10:48 PM
that is all.

No more than 5 games I bet you went to last season, that is all.

TheFamous1875
13-06-2013, 10:48 PM
I decided against "had part to play in Stokes' first cross". FWIW, I think he's good as back up. He's not the answer, but an asset nonetheless. I believe he was on record at the end of last year saying at this point in his career, he'll not always be a first choice, but he's still happy to be involved and happy to progress with his coaching (at East Mains all season I believe).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

HibeeEmma
13-06-2013, 10:50 PM
He did a decent job at times last season, but I really hope this isn't the case.

Exactly. Sure Hibs could find a better player than him.

CB_NO3
13-06-2013, 10:51 PM
Am happy with that. Decent, experienced pro, cheap wages, good to teach the kids. Has been ok all season. Been no better or worse than Clancy this season IMO which says more about Clancy than it does about Maybury.

Thecat23
13-06-2013, 10:53 PM
that is all.

Pretty poor post.

For the record, he's a hard working pro who is helping the young lads and he's been a very good role model. That was from 2 of the guys who are in the first team.

lord bunberry
13-06-2013, 10:57 PM
Have we not got any decent youngsters that we can use as cover if clancys injured? Maybury might be on a low wage but its still a wage that should be spent strengthening the team, maybury doesn't strengthen the team. If he is being signed more for his coaching ability then fair enough but we need better players if we are going to move to the next level.

broonie27
13-06-2013, 11:01 PM
holy guacamole - is this what we call a decent player these days. If we wasn't playing in the final we would never have lost a goal so early.

1two
13-06-2013, 11:06 PM
I think he's doing his coaching badges now
Any chance hell be taking a player coach role
If so I think it's a good deal for all

SaulGoodman
13-06-2013, 11:16 PM
holy guacamole - is this what we call a decent player these days. If we wasn't playing in the final we would never have lost a goal so early.

If your auntie had baws she'd be your uncle

broonie27
13-06-2013, 11:19 PM
If your auntie had baws she'd be your uncle

Plato or Socrates?

SaulGoodman
13-06-2013, 11:21 PM
Plato or Socrates?

Shakespeare

3pm
13-06-2013, 11:22 PM
Pretty poor post.

For the record, he's a hard working pro who is helping the young lads and he's been a very good role model. That was from 2 of the guys who are in the first team.

Too professional, doesnae drink enough mate. :greengrin

Water out, Jaeger Bombs in. :agree: :greengrin

DH1875
13-06-2013, 11:26 PM

There's a few players who were more at fault for the first than Maybury was :confused:.

NOLA
14-06-2013, 12:36 AM
I'd like him back next season, good pro, good influence, something the young lads need

hibs4thecup1988
14-06-2013, 12:45 AM
There's a few players who were more at fault for the first than Maybury was :confused:.

Hardly...

HOWEVER... I like Alan. I think he is an asset for the club in more than playing capacity. The young lads that I talk to say he has been a massive influence on them.

People saying about youngsters coming through, yes we have young guys, but thats all they are YOUNG. Clancy as first choice(debateable btw!) and Maybury as back up. Could have put his head down after the derby in August when he let Driver score, but he never.

Be happy if he signs a new contract :agree:

Purehibee_MYB
14-06-2013, 12:47 AM

In that case let's bin off Ben Williams too. Aye, thought not.

WestEndHibee
14-06-2013, 12:50 AM

I totally agree mate. I can't believe how many want him back!! yam through and through!

I mean who in their right mind would want us to sign one of our most consistent defenders from last season who has excellent application, looks after himself and is (so I've been told) a great influence on our new crop of young players.

I for one can't stand a player that I can't go and meet every Friday on George Street, what's the point in them even being at Hibs if I can't get my picture with them for twitter? Ridiculous! Bring back HKT! GGTTH

JohnStephens91
14-06-2013, 12:54 AM
I like Maybury, brilliant professional, cracking man to have a chat with and helps out the younger players. Still has the skill to perform well in the SPL as his performances last season proved.

EdinMike
14-06-2013, 12:54 AM
Good.

That is all. :agree:

Pete
14-06-2013, 01:05 AM
Good.

That is all. :agree:

Those who actually go would appreciate what he gives and won't simply remember the handful of mistakes.

broonie27
14-06-2013, 01:19 AM
I totally agree mate. I can't believe how many want him back!! yam through and through!

I mean who in their right mind would want us to sign one of our most consistent defenders from last season who has excellent application, looks after himself and is (so I've been told) a great influence on our new crop of young players.

I for one can't stand a player that I can't go and meet every Friday on George Street, what's the point in them even being at Hibs if I can't get my picture with them for twitter? Ridiculous! Bring back HKT! GGTTH

Brilliant! So now we gauge our players on their ability to go to bed at a good time. Superb.

Consistency is only really any good when it's combined with a good performance.

JohnStephens91
14-06-2013, 01:26 AM
Brilliant! So now we gauge our players on their ability to go to bed at a good time. Superb.

Maybury was probably one of our better defenders last season when called upon. Yes he made a few errors, so to did McGivern, McPake, Hanlon and Clancy, but Maybury just gets hounded because he played for Hearts about 8 years ago.

Purehibee_MYB
14-06-2013, 01:28 AM

I'm pretty sure HH is explaining that Maybury is a good example to the promising crop of youngsters we currently have, not the fact he doesn't go out. But why am I even bothering, you seem to have a vendetta against Maybury

Pete
14-06-2013, 01:29 AM

I think the people who are happy at him staying are using the more sensible criteria.

JMac
14-06-2013, 02:34 AM
Harsh!!!
He may not be the best but he's a decent squad member, he offers us experience off the bench and he will help develop the younger players

MWHIBBIES
14-06-2013, 02:36 AM
opinions, eh. I think he's utter gash so there you go.I assume you didn't watch him last season? Sorry but if you did then there is no other reason for this point of view other than that he played for Hearts. He isn't Maldini but he is miles from gash. I would hate to hear what you thought of some of the actual bad players we have had in recent years.

marinello59
14-06-2013, 06:45 AM
A superb opening post in which the OP expertly made his point then continued to deal with the counter arguments in a constructive and well thought out manner.:thumbsup:

Sorry.......................wrong thread.

Vault Boy
14-06-2013, 08:06 AM
Would be happy with this. I think it's important to consider that he was/is signed up to be back up, I don't think Fenlon expected him to play as much as he did but he coped with it well. I don't think 'Hibs could do better' is true when it's an experienced SPL professional we are talking about, being used to bolster our squad and nothing much more. I'd like to see us sign another RB though, Clancy was good at the start of the year and was unlucky with injury, but I'd like to see us get a slightly more attack minded, pacer RB. However if we stick with Clancy I'd be completely satisfied, he adds height and physical presence which we missed quite a lot during his absence.

blackpoolhibs
14-06-2013, 08:28 AM
Maybury was probably one of our better defenders last season when called upon. Yes he made a few errors, so to did McGivern, McPake, Hanlon and Clancy, but Maybury just gets hounded because he played for Hearts about 8 years ago.

Does he? Personally i no nowt about how good he is with the kids, or if he's tea total or up George street every night.

What i do know is whats in front of me when he plays for Hibs, and that is an average player who's at the end of his career.

He has come in for Clancy and given us some decent performances and some poor ones, but as he said he came to the club as a bit part player but because of injuries to Clancy played more games than he probably thought he would.

If i'm honest, i want much better than him, in fact i want much better than Clancy too. How many bloody coaches are we short of at Hibs, it seems anyone who's at the end of their career at Hibs is touted for a coaching job? :confused:

IWasThere2016
14-06-2013, 08:31 AM
Does he? Personally i no nowt about how good he is with the kids, or if he's tea total or up George street every night.

What i do know is whats in front of me when he plays for Hibs, and that is an average player who's at the end of his career.

He has come in for Clancy and given us some decent performances and some poor ones, but as he said he came to the club as a bit part player but because of injuries to Clancy played more games than he probably thought he would.

If i'm honest, i want much better than him, in fact i want much better than Clancy too. How many bloody coaches are we short of at Hibs, it seems anyone who's at the end of their career at Hibs is touted for a coaching job? :confused:

:top marks

--------
14-06-2013, 10:12 AM

Yes, BH, he does, but that's something any ex-Hearts player signing for Hibs has to deal with.

I would agree Alan's at the end of his playing career. IMO he was a better than average player 10 years ago, and he does have both experience and character that have been more than useful at the club since he arrived. But I also agree we need to be looking to sign better players in all positions in the team than the players we've been signing recently. How likely it is that we'll get them THIS season - well, we'll just have to wait and see.

I know nothing about Kuqi, but from what I'm reading he shared one thing with AM - a proper attitude to the game and to his responsibilities as a professional footballer - something we've been sadly missing for a number of years now.

Too many stories about Hibs players on the police/court pages of the newspapers - fights in George Street, fights at East Mains, Derek Riordan banned from clubs trying to sneak into clubs, altercations in the streets at three in the morning, Garry O'Connor and his drugs, his bent Ferrari, his insurance problems ...

A full-scale dressing-room revolt by 17 players because they didn't like the manager's methods (or something) led by Mikey or Scotty or Scotty-and-Mikey or somebody entirely different.

Mixu said not long ago that when he arrived the atmosphere among the players was poisonous. The situation hasn't been helped by the massive turnover of managers in the past 12 years, either.

I've met Alan Maybury, and he's a solid, dependable professional guy who isn't the world's greatest full-back but IMO was the sort of person we needed in the squad this year. Shefki Kuqi seems to have been another. Senior pro's whom the younger players would listen to, who had experience in the game at a high level, who would work along with and back up the manager.

Maybe it's time to part company, but I would say that if we've found someone who can connect with the younger players and influence them in the right direction, then we don't want to lose them too easily. John Park brough on a host of youngsters, then moved to Celtic, and the pipeline of young talent dried up because there was no one who could step into his shoes.

I want to see the team transformed - a new Famous Five, a new Tornadoes team. But the club needs to change as well, to being a club where young players learn to be model professionals who grace the pitch at ER and progress and move on to higher levels than the SPL, to grace the game wherever they play, with more young players coming in after them to adorn the game in their turn. For that you need solid character.

Me? I'd certainly keep AM, and if SK goes, well, thanks for your work and all the best as a manager in the future.

Andy74
14-06-2013, 10:28 AM

On the coaching front the difference is that he is actually helping to coach the younger teams.

patlowe
14-06-2013, 11:46 AM
Maybury just gets hounded because he played for Hearts about 8 years ago.

I personally think Maybury is a very limited player; the fact he played for Hearts has no impact whatsoever on my view. However, if Fenlon thinks it will be useful to have him around, and he has the makings of a good coach, then I don't see the problem in retaining his services. He seems like a decent enough pro - it's incredible how good a career a guy with very little technical ability can have in football if he puts the work in and looks after himself.

Craig_in_Prague
14-06-2013, 11:58 AM
Was hoping if he got released, it would pave the way for us to re-sign Michael Hart.

500miles
14-06-2013, 12:02 PM
Alan showed, particularly towards the end of last season that he can still do a solid job against the majority of SPL teams. He's at an age where he doesn't mind being overlooked for youngsters, but can come into the team, and has the experience to play at a good level staight away - younger players tend to need to bed in, and it takes them a couple of game to get back to 100% after being dropped or out with injury.

There are players in this league that he will struggle with because he hasn't got it in the legs anymore. Maybe in those situations, where speed is a real concern, Stevenson or a youngster will fill in. However, against most of the SPL, Alan will give you adequate cover - if he doesn't go downhill over the summer. He looks after himself, so he may well be fine for another year. It's up to Pat to decide that.

What impresses me most is he has a winners attitude, and hopefully he can pass that on to the youngsters. When he makes mistakes he doesn't hide, even if we are punished by it (which we usually are - most of his mistakes tend to end in a goal). Too long we've had players that go shy after making a mistake, or giving away a goal, or going a goal down. Maybury isn't that type of character, and I don't think its any coincidence that the youngsters who have broken through during his time here seem to have that same attitude.

Whatever happens, we need AN Alan Maybury in next years team, even if it isn't the man himself.

Elephant Stone
14-06-2013, 12:16 PM
I'm sure he's as lovely a guy as you all say and he's a great professional but, IMO, he's not good enough. He's definitely the team's weak link when he plays. I'd much rather we freed up some money to get better players in.

DH1875
14-06-2013, 01:30 PM
Hardly...

HOWEVER... I like Alan. I think he is an asset for the club in more than playing capacity. The young lads that I talk to say he has been a massive influence on them.

People saying about youngsters coming through, yes we have young guys, but thats all they are YOUNG. Clancy as first choice(debateable btw!) and Maybury as back up. Could have put his head down after the derby in August when he let Driver score, but he never.

Be happy if he signs a new contract :agree:

So you don't think Williams, Hanlon or McGivern x2 could be seen as being at fault for their first goal :hmmm:.

heretoday
14-06-2013, 02:25 PM
Maybury is pretty awful. Any Joe Average full back from the First or Second Divisions could do a better job.

JimBHibees
14-06-2013, 02:56 PM
Maybury is pretty awful. Any Joe Average full back from the First or Second Divisions could do a better job.

That clearly isnt the case given he has played pretty well for Hibs and also St Johnstone in the SPL recently.

Weir7
25-07-2013, 10:21 PM
He's passed it. His defending in cup final was poor.

Money would be better spent getting a better quality player in.

frazeHFC
25-07-2013, 10:24 PM
Why wasn't he playing was the question I was asking. Injured? Don't rate him too much but he's better at right back than Stevenson.

Weir7
25-07-2013, 10:28 PM
Why wasn't he playing was the question I was asking. Injured? Don't rate him too much but he's better at right back than Stevenson.
How many right backs do we need in a squad

frazeHFC
25-07-2013, 10:29 PM
How many right backs do we need in a squad

The fact we had a one footed left back at right back is your answer.

hibee_girl
25-07-2013, 10:31 PM

He's not actually signed for this season, has he?

007 Mickey Weir
25-07-2013, 10:40 PM
He did well then??

frazeHFC
25-07-2013, 10:42 PM

Don't know what kind of deal but is a coach by the looks of tonight, just guessing it's player/coach.

Weir7
25-07-2013, 10:44 PM

Yes. Contract as player coach

hibee_girl
25-07-2013, 10:45 PM
Don't know what kind of deal but is a coach by the looks of tonight, just guessing it's player/coach.

Yes. Contract as player coach

Cool, must have missed that!

bigwheel
25-07-2013, 10:50 PM
Cool, must have missed that!

He might end up being assistant to Jimmy Nichol quite soon !

derek0762
04-08-2013, 06:33 PM
Was on the bench today when did he sign a new contract at ER?

Sir David Gray
04-08-2013, 06:38 PM
I was wondering this too.

He wasn't even listed on the website the other day when they were announcing the squad numbers for this season. :confused:

reidy
04-08-2013, 06:40 PM
He was number 18 today

Twiglet
04-08-2013, 06:41 PM
He's a development coach at Hibs now. No harm in being registered to play.

Brightside
He signed last week. One year player coach. Will only play in emergencies.

Billy Whizz
Was on the bench today when did he sign a new contract at ER?

Mentioned on twitter that's he's registered as a player, but is also a development coach

Sanger
04-08-2013, 06:42 PM
He was number 18 today
On the coaching staff now and pulled on to bench because of injuries to defenders.

Sir David Gray
04-08-2013, 06:43 PM
He's a development coach at Hibs now. No harm in being registered to play.

But in order to have appeared in the squad today, he must have signed a new contract with us as his previous contract finished at the end of last season.

If he's signed a new deal, I would have expected that to have made the website and for his squad number to be given a mention as well.

The lack of information from the official website is diabolical.

CropleyWasGod
04-08-2013, 06:46 PM
But in order to have appeared in the squad today, he must have signed a new contract with us as his previous contract finished at the end of last season.

If he's signed a new deal, I would have expected that to have made the website and for his squad number to be given a mention as well.

Hibs text alerts. Always first. :agree:

Twiglet
04-08-2013, 07:11 PM

The contract that he's signed to be a development coach may cover both the coaching and playing. It may have been something Hibs will have announced later as he might be EOS squad.
The development coach was on twitter today.

Viva_Palmeiras
04-08-2013, 07:28 PM

Shuggy and Malky always the first to know ;)

OsloHibs
04-08-2013, 07:49 PM
Did I not see him doing the warm up before the Malmo game? :confused:

Dibben
04-08-2013, 08:26 PM

I didn't notice him, but Clancy was warming up?

bigwheel
04-08-2013, 08:32 PM

Yes you did ...

allezsauzee
04-08-2013, 08:38 PM
any truth in the rumour that Jimmy Nicholl has also registered as a player this season?

dp00
04-08-2013, 11:52 PM
Good player to have around the squad...l does things the right way and look like he looks after himself

Part/Time Supporter
05-08-2013, 07:26 AM
The thing that bothers me about this is that there has been a big element of "can't give a toss" about Hibs this summer. First we heard of Jimmy Nicholl coming in was from the Kilmarnock chairman. There still hasn't been any word on the official site about Liam O'Brien, even just a wee note to say "thanks for his efforts", etc. Similarly, no list of players they decided not to offer new contracts to.

Whoever is responsible for the club's communications needs a kick up the arse.

Hibs7
05-08-2013, 08:41 AM

Not good enough ... Pandering to the minority ... Hibs pr is a disgrace absolutely pathetic performance.

Hermit Crab
05-08-2013, 08:44 AM

Well lets us know if ones sent about Fenlon leaving the club. ;)

CropleyWasGod
05-08-2013, 08:46 AM
Well lets us know if ones sent about Fenlon leaving the club. ;)

They're not perfect either.

On Thursday there, I got the goal alerts from the Malmo game. Every single freaking one of them, a week late. :rolleyes:

blackpoolhibs
05-08-2013, 08:47 AM

On Thursday there, I got the goal alerts from the Malmo game. Every single freaking one of them, a week late. :rolleyes:

:faf: Now that's funny. :greengrin

Hermit Crab
05-08-2013, 08:50 AM

Aye! Just like the defence.

MacGruber
18-08-2013, 06:45 AM
Wondering why Maybury is registered as a player and what constitutes an 'emergency' situation that would call for his services?

With Clancy out, Mullen toiling & Donaldson still injured(?) you would have thought that now more so than any point in the season would have been that emergency time. Is he really also behind Stevenson in the pecking order for RB?

By all accounts he is a good coach, no qualms with that and Stevenson put in a great shift yesterday but just wondering what the point was in him being registered and surely he could be earning his stripes next week.